What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

rb-rb-rb (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppierce

Footballguy
who's with me here? anybody do this? if i dont take Matt Ryan in 3rd:

would starting rb, rb, rb in a 12 team flex, ppr league be such an awful thing from the 4 hole?

seriously if i grabbed Dmac or McCoy, Jamaal Charles and Fred Jackson or Steven Jackson as my first 3 picks would that be such a terrible thing considering i can flex one of them and the depth at 4th and 5th round WR's.

of course you can't be married to that strategy. cause if guys like fjax, sjax and Charles arent around in the 2nd and 3rd you dont want to just grab any rb for the sake of going rb-rb-rb.

potential (realistic) first 5 rounds:

Dmac

Jamaal Charles

Fred Jackson

Percy Harvin

Antonio Brown

thoughts?

Guy in one of my bigger money leagues did it. PPR 10 teamer.

Had the second pick and ended up with:

Rice, Murray, Ap

Percy, LLoyd, Decker, Titus

FDavis, Keller

Flacco, Palmer

By far one of the best rosters in the league.

I agree that this is a viable strategy with the right pieces. With the scarcity of top rbs, you can really get a stranglehold on the position. It helps you to take advantage of those guys who may be drafting upside down or only one rb at the top. Its no different fron any strategy though, you do it based on the flow of the draft and the position runs that are occurring.

Did it in my recent dynasty draft from the 2 spot as well...

Ended up with:

Foster - Peterson - Lynch

Colston - Demaryius - Bowe - DeSean

Vick - Roethlesberger - Fitzpatrick

Celek - Dickson

Very happy with the results, but pretty much only works if you are at the top of the draft.

I did this with the #3 pick in a 12 teamer, I couldn't pass up the value at RB. QBs and WRs were flying off the board.

I think I would have drafted differently if I knew there were so many guppies, but I thought there was some sort of upside down strategy going on. Not sure if I would have done it again, felt like I was playing catchup at WR at every pick.

1.3 Arian Foster

2.10 Demarco Murray

3.3 Trent Richardson

4.10 Steve Smith

5.3 Eli Manning

6.10 Torrey Smith

7.3 Fred Davis

I went RB/RB/RB out of the 9 spot in a 12 team non-ppr (start 3 WR/TE and 3 RB)

Forte (1), Charles (2), Richardson (3), Ingram (8), P. Thomas, Royster

Nicks (4), Colston (5), DHB (10), M. Williams

Hernandez (7), Tony G.

Vick (6), RG3 (9)

I went RB-RB-RB out of the 9 spot in a 12 team PPR. Went with McFadden, Sproles, Lynch....then Vick in round 4. But my WR's are weak group of Decker-D Moore-Collie-Cobb-SMoss. Lineup Req's are 3RB's, 3WR's and 1 TE. I figure I can cobble together a WR group together off the waiver wire. If I could do it over again, I'd have waited on a QB and taken some great value WR's in the 4th. I had a draft last night where I held off on draft Vick in the 4th and 5th rounds and was able to net Gore and Lloyd and Vick came back to me in the 6th round. I like that team much better. But I agree with others that the RB-RB-RB strategy will pay off in spades at some point in the season. I look at the rosters of the teams that passed on RB's early and they look very vulnerable. WR's are deep and plentiful and will be throughout the season but stud RB's are undervalued in the early season, but wait till injuries hit and people will be griping about bad luck and how their season went south fast. If your leaguemates allow you to make a decent run at top shelf RB's, don't stand in their way.

I went RB/RB/RB out of the 9 spot in a 12 team non-ppr (start 3 WR/TE and 3 RB)Forte (1), Charles (2), Richardson (3), Ingram (8), P. Thomas, RoysterNicks (4), Colston (5), DHB (10), M. WilliamsHernandez (7), Tony G.Vick (6), RG3 (9)
well done my friend. excllent team

My team from the 9 spot. 12 team non ppr. I love my team, but I have a lot riding on rg3 but I think with my strength, all I need is a serviceable qb so I should be able to play the wire/trade for someone like flacco or cutler who might start slow. My league went qb crazy due to 6 point passing tds and I just sat as snatched up talent that fell.

McFadden

Murray

Matthews

roddy white

dez Bryant

Antonio gates

rg3

Donald brown

Kendall wright

jaquizz Rodgers

nyj defense

santinio Holmes

Stephen gostkowski

Christian ponder.

Also, I've since dropped ponder for Kendal hunter. Figure he's got way more upside and if I need it I could pick up a qb similar to ponder off free agency/waivers any given week if rg3 struggles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems going RB/RB/RB can also cause other owners who took a QB/TE/WR early to panic and reach for a questionable RB in rounds 4/5. This seems to be the sweet spot for scooping up the Steve Smiths and Colstons. I would much rather have someone like Charles in the second and Colston in the 5th over AJ Green in the 2nd and Shonne Greene in the 5th.

It seems going RB/RB/RB can also cause other owners who took a QB/TE/WR early to panic and reach for a questionable RB in rounds 4/5. This seems to be the sweet spot for scooping up the Steve Smiths and Colstons. I would much rather have someone like Charles in the second and Colston in the 5th over AJ Green in the 2nd and Shonne Greene in the 5th.
Yes, I saw this too in drafts. Guys panicking picking over the RB20-RB30's before ahead of their ADP once realization set in that the cupboard was just about bare. If there was ever a year to hoard RB talent, it's this year. And I also agree with you that it's much safer and more upside to a Charles/Smith combo over a Green/Greene combo. :moneybag:

If you have an early pick, the ability to get something like McCoy, Fred Jackson and ADP is pretty tempting.

Had the 1.07 spot in a 12 team PPR league (only need to start 2WRs and can start 3WRs with Flex) and went Forte, Charles, then Martin. Wound up with Harvin as my WR1 and Maclin as my WR2. Marshall was available in the 3rd and I'm wondering if I should've grabbed him instead of Martin, but we'll see how it goes.

Had an interesting draft last night, to say the least. I picked 10th out of 10, PPR, QB tds worth 6...

I knew people would incorrectly take QBs much earlier than they should, but I didn't know this would happen:

1.1-Rodgers

1.2-Brady

1.3-Brees

1.4-Stafford

1.5-Newton

I was sitting there at #10 :pickle: at the thought of landing Darren Mcfadden at #10. Sure enough my time to pick and I'm practically obligated to go:

1.10- Mcfadden

2.1- Chris Johnson

Ultimately I went RB/RB/RB when Jamaal Charles was sitting there at my #3 pick.

McFadden

Chris Johnson

Jamaal Charles

Wes Welker

Dez Bryant

D. Thomas

Torrey Smith

Mike Vick

RGIII

Fred Davis

Mark Ingram

Gostkowski

Denarius Moore

Alfred MOrris

Taiwan Jones

Totally doable. I drafted from 1.10 in a 10 team, non-PPR, standard league:

QB: Rivers, Freeman

RB: DMac, Forte, FJax, BJGE, D. Brown, R. Williams

WR: Marshall, A. Brown, M. Floyd, K. Britt, L. Moore

TE: Hernandez

I have by far the best RB's in the league and my WR depth is above average as well. Definitely weaker at WR2 and QB than some others, but I think the ability to trot out DMac, Forte, and FJax every week can easily make up for what I'm giving up at QB and WR2.

That being said, FJax falling to to me at 3.10 is pretty surprising. Still...you can definitely grab a solid roster going RB/RB/RB.

Just did this last weekend. Although as of right now i would have switched my 3rd rd pick to wr because doug martin would have been available at my pick in the 4th where i had to go wr.

Team:

P.Manning, A.Smith

Forte, Murray, S.Jax, M.Bush, F.Jones, Royster, Hillman

Dez, S.Johnson, Bowe, Dhb

Pettigrew, H.Miller

Bryant

N.E.

Happy but a week later my 3rd and 4th wouldbe switched...

I happen to like AJ Green a lot but point taken. Like OP said I wouldn't do it for the sake of it (like if Bradshaw was the best RB on the board in the 3rd) but if SJax is there, sure why not. I scooped up Lynch as my RB3 in the 3rd and Roddy White was still there at 4.9, which is pretty amazing since I probably would've taken Greg Jennings at 3.4 if Lynch were gone.

Some nice looking teams here. I havent pulled the trigger on RB/RB/RB, but have gone RB/RB, with similar results. If FJax was there for me in the 3rd, prolly woulda pulled the trigger.

I think the take home here is let the draft come to you. If the draft starts off with 5QBs off the board in the 1st, scoop up the RB's.

I did this in from the 3rd spot in a 10 team (start two QB) leagues:

L.McCoy

D. Murray

S. Jax

Nicks

Dez

Thomas

T. Smith

DHB

Big Ben

Freeman.

QB's leave something to be desired but with the value of RB this year i am ok with platooning for the year. eight QB's went in the first two rounds. Most of the teams that have two studs at QB only have two starters at RB with no flex option. I could not be happier mwith my team.

Stared my draft last year with Charles, Forte, Hillis, Felix, Lloyd... I won the league because of Graham/Stafford, never again will I start a draft this way. I was under the impression that Wr was deep and I don't like the RB's that are going late. This year I focused more on the mid-late rb-wr and notice that I could still get top 12 players at their position based on my own rankings and not just adp, you just have to be more familiar with the names that people are down on like Colston, Harvin, Bush ect..

But a plan is better than no plan. I would only start rb heavy if I was so sure about a late round TE, WR and QB. This year I have more confidence in some later rb/wr because I did more homework so could buy into the stud qb-Wr theory. Last year for me was different, I was on Stafford and Graham so I didn't mind waiting, if you feel that way then you have the luxury of going rb heavy early that others may not.

Like super freak the first 4 picks in our 12 team draft were QB's, so I adopted the RB/RB/RB strategy.

QB

Big Ben,Flacco

RB

Foster,T Richardson,J Charles,R Jennings,J Rodgers

WR

AJ Green,Dez Bryant,Torrey Smith,K Britt,R Cobb

TE

Jared Cook

K

Prater

Def

49ers

6 QBs went in Rd 1. The key was the pick of J Charles in the 3rd,I was hoping to start a run on RBs, leaving me with some top WR options. Ridley was picked right after Charles setting the tone for the panic run. By the time my rd 4 pick arrived 6 RB's were selected, 3 more QB's and 1 TE. Only 4 WR's were taken, leaving me with AJ Green in Rd 4.

I did this in from the 3rd spot in a 10 team (start two QB) leagues:L.McCoyD. MurrayS. JaxNicksDezThomasT. SmithDHBBig BenFreeman. QB's leave something to be desired but with the value of RB this year i am ok with platooning for the year. eight QB's went in the first two rounds. Most of the teams that have two studs at QB only have two starters at RB with no flex option. I could not be happier mwith my team.
I like this team, and the 10 team PPR roster another guy posted, but I think that there is risk in the 8 extra positions/slots in a 10 teamer versus a 12 teamer. You ended up with Nicks as your WR1 in the 10 teamer, but he likely will not be there in a 12 teamer in PPR...same may happen with Thomas...sure there are other guys you could get, but if there is a massive run on WRs in a 12 teamer, how would you feel with Lloyd or Decker as your WR1 in a PPR...I like them as 2s, but then I think you need to almost go WR the next 4 rounds to compensate and lose out on a QB or TE. The sweet spot for value at WRs thus far in 12 teamers (to me at least) seems to be in the 3rd and 4th rounds where you can get 2 guys who have top 15 potential, but by scratching one of those picks, you have to play catch up.

I won't do it because I think of LeShoure, Ryan Williams, and Quizz I can find at least one starter. Get an extra WR for week 1 and maybe 2 to let the dust settle but by week 3 or 4 at the latest I think at least one of those guys earns a flex spot. Going RB-RB-RB at the start means if a RB value falls you cannot consider them later, maintaining flexibility is key in all drafts, it's another reason why I try to avoid QB and TE early.

I did it one of my drafts so i will add mine 12 team - Football Guys League Style so can start 4 rbs and the te gets 1.5 ppr from the 9 spot. Still 5 picks left.

Ryan

Griffin

Forte

Charles

Steven Jackson

D. Brown

Colston

Torrey Smith

Titus Young

Holmes

LaFell

Jefferey

Daniels

Kellen Davis

Eagles

I won't do it because I think of LeShoure, Ryan Williams, and Quizz I can find at least one starter. Get an extra WR for week 1 and maybe 2 to let the dust settle but by week 3 or 4 at the latest I think at least one of those guys earns a flex spot. Going RB-RB-RB at the start means if a RB value falls you cannot consider them later, maintaining flexibility is key in all drafts, it's another reason why I try to avoid QB and TE early.
I agree with you but I can't pass on a back that I would consider an early 2nd rounder that is still siting there in the 3rd. WR's are deep enough to then grab a bunch. Starting lineup changes the viability of it a lot though. If you have to start 3 wr's, I probably wouldn't entertain the thought.

I agree with you but I can't pass on a back that I would consider an early 2nd rounder that is still siting there in the 3rd. WR's are deep enough to then grab a bunch. Starting lineup changes the viability of it a lot though. If you have to start 3 wr's, I probably wouldn't entertain the thought.
In a start 2 WR setup I won't argue against it, won't do it but I see it, about it though. WR nose dives after round 5 or 6 so you must have your lineup set by round 6 at the latest. RB-RB-RB means you're going WR with either your next 2 picks or 2 of your next 3. I can't emphasize enough how much I loathe not having flexibility in the draft. Spent a good chunk of my morning telling a buddy of mine how Ryan Mathews at the end of the 2nd screwed up his draft because it ruined his ability to be flexible. It forced him to take another RB earlier than he wanted, he then got a lesser WR, and felt like he had to get a 'safe' WR2 and WR5 then throw high upside darts at 3 and 4. Left him weak all over the board imho.Long story short, instead of gettingJulioRichardson, Martin, or BradshawHarvinRyanDemaryiusAustinRyan WilliamsLeShoureOlsenSchaubSomeone with more upside than Lance MooreHe gotMathews (instead of round 3 RB)Marshall (instead of Julio)HarvinGore (because he needed a starting RB in September)Stevie (because he needed a safe #2 and couldn't justify Demaryius, as he said)AustinCutlerBritt (felt he needed more upside WR's to offset weak QB, TE, and early season RB2)OlsenSchaubLance Moore (safety net because WR3 and WR4 are risky and might not and won't play week 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread