What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keith Olbermann is meeting with MSNBC about return to air (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
:popcorn:

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/countdown-keith-olbermann-is-meeting-with-msnbc-about-return-to-air/22735/

Countdown: Keith Olbermann is meeting with MSNBC about return to air

It's seemed inevitable for months, but even as the rampant speculation about a reunion between Keith Olbermann and MSNBC has finally died down to the point where it looked like it might not happen after all, the two parties have in fact now scheduled a meeting to discuss a potential return after all. And the timing couldn't be better: the 2016 primary races are just heating up, Olbermann has been out of work long enough to be hungry again, and the network needs the ratings help. But even with talks now getting underway, where does Keith now fit into the new MSNBC paradigm?

When Keith Olbermann left MSNBC in a huff several years back, he had been the king of the network. He had the anchor time slot, the ratings, the clout. Rachel Maddow was his protege. Now she has his old time slot and is the de facto voice of influence remaining, even as so many other faces from the old guard are gone or diminished. Ed Schultz and others have been pushed aside in favor of vanilla middle-ground NBC retreads like Brian Williams and Chuck Todd. Olbermann will enter the fray, if the meeting does go well, as a familiar face on a now largely unfamiliar network.

But with MSNBC's ratings in a tailspin and the recent moves only having served to alienate much of its liberal audience, Keith Olbermann is precisely the kind of defiant and popular and respected liberal firebrand who can turn those ratings around and sate the remaining audience. He's also a legendary headache, although his recent stint on ESPN proved that he can be a team player when he wants to be. And at this point, with MSNBC quickly losing a reason to continue existing, Olbermann may be the only one left who can save it - and so the "countdown" to the return of Countdown with Keith Olbermann might as well be a done deal.

MAJOR NEWS
For progressives and liberals it is. He had the highest rated show on MSNBC and the network has seen a steady ratings decline since his departure. Olbermann enjoyed doing his show on ESPN but he is at his best discussing politics and a return to MSNBC is just what he and network needs heading into the 2016 election year. It makes too much sense for both sides not to happen.

Keith Overbite wants to get back on the air? Did this moron not get embarrassed enough after one failure? Countdown to zero ratings part II, here we come! He belongs on ESPN, that network has become a joke just like he is.

Keith Overbite wants to get back on the air? Did this moron not get embarrassed enough after one failure? Countdown to zero ratings part II, here we come! He belongs on ESPN, that network has become a joke just like he is.
Countdown was the highest rated show on MSNBC and raised the ratings of the shows following it. It was not a failure, it was the flagship show of the network, and did better against the completion on Fox and CNN than anything they have had subseuently. That is why they are in discussions and will probably bring him back.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAJOR NEWS
For progressives and liberals it is. He had the highest rated show on MSNBC and the network has seen a steady ratings decline since his departure. Olbermann enjoyed doing his show on ESPN but he is at his best discussing politics and a return to MSNBC is just what he and network needs heading into the 2016 election year. It makes too much sense for both sides not to happen.
Your definition of best is... interesting.

Countdown was the highest rated show on MSNBC and raised the ratings of the shows following it. It was not a failure, it was the flagship show of the network, and did better against the completion on Fox and CNN than anything they have had subseuently. That is why they are in discussions and will probably bring him back.
That's not saying much. Being the highest rated show on MSNBC is like being the tallest midget.

That's not saying much. Being the highest rated show on MSNBC is like being the tallest midget.
He usually had better numbers than CNN (another midget?) and no one in that time slot since then has even been close to doing as well against O'Reilly.

He usually had better numbers than CNN (another midget?) and no one in that time slot since then has even been close to doing as well against O'Reilly.
Well, when Chris Hayes has been your best bet the last few years, that's not saying much.

Ratings aren't all important in cable news. Like the late night talk shows, pageviews, retweets and other asynchronous buzzword measurements are just as important nowadays for news (or "news") commentator shows, Olbermann, like him or not, stirs up this kind of interest about as well as anyone in the industry.

Ratings aren't all important in cable news. Like the late night talk shows, pageviews, retweets and other asynchronous buzzword measurements are just as important nowadays for news (or "news") commentator shows, Olbermann, like him or not, stirs up this kind of interest about as well as anyone in the industry.
Ratings aren't important? Please elaborate. Also, his numbers sucked by the way. They were not good. They were bad. That's why he's not on the air anymore. He had a small loyal following but the majority of people couldn't stand him.

It's been at least six months since I watched a cable news show, probably longer. I don't understand why people make this sort of thing a part of their regular diet.

Ratings aren't important? Please elaborate. Also, his numbers sucked by the way. They were not good. They were bad. That's why he's not on the air anymore. He had a small loyal following but the majority of people couldn't stand him.
Not true, his ratings were great at MSNBC, he regularly beat CNN and was competitive against O'Reilly - that is why they will pay him big bucks to return. If he was the ratings failure you claim, MSNBC wouldn't consider rehiring him.

Not true, his ratings were great at MSNBC, he regularly beat CNN and was competitive against O'Reilly - that is why they will pay him big bucks to return. If he was the ratings failure you claim, MSNBC wouldn't consider rehiring him.
You're a complete moron, 110%! How do you even tie your shoes in the morning? O'Reilly consistently more than doubled Overbites ratings. And they were a countdown to zero. Nobody watched anymore. Except for trolls like you.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/01/31/oreilly-vs-olbermann-vs-brown-vs-grace-cable-news-ratings-3/40622/

You're a complete moron, 110%! How do you even tie your shoes in the morning? O'Reilly consistently more than doubled Overbites ratings. And they were a countdown to zero. Nobody watched anymore. Except for trolls like you.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/01/31/oreilly-vs-olbermann-vs-brown-vs-grace-cable-news-ratings-3/40622/
I said he was competitive against O'Reilly and he was, CNN didn't really do much better and no one on MSNBC has been even in the same ballpark since then. He was doing well at the time he left and was a cash cow for MSNBC as far as advertisers are concerned, that is why they will bring him back and he will be competitive against Fox once again.

Edited to add: I remember now, he did really well in the 18-34 age demographic that advertisers covet. That was where he was considered really competitive. With that age group, he actually did better than O'Reilly (whose average age of viewer was like 68 and that crowd has little discretionary income, unlike the 18-34 year olds).

Lotta stupid here. Oof.

I like Keith in small doses. He can drone on, and get too soap boxy obviously, though sometimes with great amusement, intentional and otherwise, but it's not bad while flipping through or looking to watch one of his rants now and then. Love seeing how this guy gets folks' panties all in a bunch. Seriously, don't tell me how he sucks, is awful, has no pull and no audience with an impassioned plea, albeit with questionable grammar and quetionableer logic. That's just silly.

Ok, its not silly, but it is creating a contradiction of the very terms you hail so vehemently as utter truth. Which does make the poster look pretty damned silly, I'll admit.

Carry on children. :popcorn:

It would be an interesting reunion since the network has supposedly been looking to go more "news" and less political to help its ratings.

Lotta stupid here. Oof.

I like Keith in small doses. He can drone on, and get too soap boxy obviously, though sometimes with great amusement, intentional and otherwise, but it's not bad while flipping through or looking to watch one of his rants now and then. Love seeing how this guy gets folks' panties all in a bunch. Seriously, don't tell me how he sucks, is awful, has no pull and no audience with an impassioned plea, albeit with questionable grammar and quetionableer logic. That's just silly.

Ok, its not silly, but it is creating a contradiction of the very terms you hail so vehemently as utter truth. Which does make the poster look pretty damned silly, I'll admit.

Thanks for straightening me out , father figure. I see why you like him.

Lotta stupid here. Oof.

How progressive of you.

Lotta stupid here. Oof.

Thanks for straightening me out , father figure. I see why you like him.
That, at it's core, is actually rather sad (and perhaps troubling). This is a message board, no need to go there, but hey, whatever makes you tingle inside. :shurg:

Lotta stupid here. Oof.

How progressive of you.
He's a talking head. Big head, mind you. :achem:

It's entertainment. Myself, can't watch too much or I go a little nuts. But people really can't put politics aside in anyway and just, well, be a little ####### normal and convivial or something.

Didn't he get too big for his britches at MSNBC too? His antics brought about his firing there.

Didn't he get too big for his britches at MSNBC too? His antics brought about his firing there.
He is a diva and notoriously difficult to get along with, but MSNBC probably regrets they didn't cater to him as it has been pretty much all downhill for the network after his departure. He donated some money (a few thousand) to a couple of Democratic candidates (in violation of station policy) and technically, that was the reason for his leaving, although IIRC, MSNBC did not actually fire him and it was mutual decision on both their parts.

"Thats Countdown, for this, the 4,507th day since the previous president declared "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq. Im Keith Olbermann. Good night and good luck."

I didn't say ratings weren't important, I said they weren't "all important". Face it, ratings for all cable news stations are low. Fox' viewer numbers are less small but all the outlets struggle for viewers on slow news days. Only the zealots and terminally bored tune in for the prime time commentary programs. The audiences are relatively affluent but skew very old, which aren't attractive demographics for advertisers.

New media is less dependent on live viewers. Olbermann has a well establish brand, a reputation for controversy and enough of a (small) core audience to ensure that clips from his shows will make it to the aggregator websites and people's timelines the next morning. None of MSNBC's current personalities, except for Maddow can bring that. I have no idea how the network monetizes this--it's a lot less straightforward than selling spots to home refinancing companies and A Place for Mom, but MSNBC would be crazy not to at least talk with Olbermann. He's an ### and impossible to work with for very long but there's a reason he's managed to have a long career. ESPN thought it was worthwhile to bring him back for a while and I'm sure MSNBC is thinking the same.

:thumbdown: Is it just me or is this sort of thing happening a lot more around here lately? Whatever happened to "be excellent to each other"?

At this point, TV is just a panel of people sitting around yelling at each other.

No thanks.

timschochet said:
dschuler said:
squistion said:
dschuler said:
Eephus said:
squistion said:
You're a complete moron, 110%! How do you even tie your shoes in the morning? O'Reilly consistently more than doubled Overbites ratings. And they were a countdown to zero. Nobody watched anymore. Except for trolls like you.http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/01/31/oreilly-vs-olbermann-vs-brown-vs-grace-cable-news-ratings-3/40622/
:thumbdown: Is it just me or is this sort of thing happening a lot more around here lately? Whatever happened to "be excellent to each other"?
And when you start to point it out when someone on the progressive side does it, your concern will be taken seriously. On any issue that i side with a position of the "left", I'm usually completely turned off by the people supporting that position and how they talk to the other side. It's amazing what you'll see when you take your own bias out of the way.

IvanKaramazov said:
It's been at least six months since I watched a cable news show, probably longer. I don't understand why people make this sort of thing a part of their regular diet.
Absolutely :goodposting:

Snoopy said:
I am not a fan of his politics but I am even more so not a fan of him. I don't follow him or his career but have noticed that he has popped up here and there and then goes away. There is likely a reason why he goes away so much. Either he does not bring value/ratings and/or no one wants to work for with him. Judging from what I have seen from his on air persona, I would not be surprised if the later is the reason.

IvanKaramazov said:
Absolutely
Actually I don't understand why people bother to post in a thread in which they have absolutely no interest in the subject matter.

IvanKaramazov said:
Absolutely
Actually I don't understand why people bother to post in a thread in which they have absolutely no interest in the subject matter.
:lol: I was waiting for this.

My interest was why would anyone would care enough to start a thread about it. I was wondering if there was more to it other than him coming back to MSNBC. Nope, didn't seem to be.

IvanKaramazov said:
Absolutely
I was waiting for this.My interest was why would anyone would care enough to start a thread about it. I was wondering if there was more to it other than him coming back to MSNBC. Nope, didn't seem to be.
Yes, there are so many more worthwhile threads, like the guy pooping his pants or favorite nicknames for Hillary. :hophead:

IvanKaramazov said:
Absolutely
I was waiting for this.My interest was why would anyone would care enough to start a thread about it. I was wondering if there was more to it other than him coming back to MSNBC. Nope, didn't seem to be.
Yes, there are so many more worthwhile threads, like the guy pooping his pants or favorite nicknames for Hillary.
See! We can agree on something! :P

I stopped watching when he left. I would start watching again if he returns. Thats That's about it.

He can't do any worse than Chris Hayes, whom I've heard has a viewership of only 70,000 per night. If true, egad.

Having said that, KO back on the MSDNC bus makes a lot of sense for both parties.

IvanKaramazov said:
It's been at least six months years since I watched a cable news show, probably longer. I don't understand why people make this sort of thing a part of their regular diet.

He can't do any worse than Chris Hayes, whom I've heard has a viewership of only 70,000 per night. If true, egad.

Having said that, KO back on the MSDNC bus makes a lot of sense for both parties.
Sounds like MSNBC is pretty desperate. Sounds like the ship is sinking so it makes sense to go to a guy that actually got people to watch in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread