What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Johnson > Priest (1 Viewer)

I have to agree that LJ has looked good all preseason. But people are getting a little too lathered up over one run where the guy didn't have to make a single cut or break one tackle.
This isn't about just one run:2004

Week 13 - 174 total yards - 2 TDs

Week 14 - 123 - 2

Week 15 - 151 - 2

Week 16 - 122 - 2

Week 17 - 161 - 2

How can Vermeil kep him off the field?
:eek: I do remember LJ doing well as the season ended last year, but I never looked at the stats in depth. WOW!!! He has some huge games! Also, he had 1 TD and 4.3 ypc in week 12, not bad at all, then he tore it up. Amazingly he also had that 113 receiving yards the final week of the season!!!

I also forgot about his 7 carry, 104, 2 TD game in week 14. If thats not impressive I don't know what is.

Interesting. So couple that with LJ's homerun threat/ability in those ~11 touches, can you rationally start both Priest AND LJ the same week?
I've stated many times that Holmes and LJ combined should approach 500 fantasy points total on the season. That's two RB in the Top 7 or 8 RB even if it was a 50/50 breakdown. You could do a lot worse than that and may not be able to do better if the split is pretty close.

There is no comparison Priest is NOT even close to being as good as LJ. Why? one reason is age, the other is wear and tear.
NFL TOUCHES Martin 3700+

Dillon 2400+

James 2100+

Barber 2000+

Ahman Green 1800+

Tomlinson 1600+

Priest has a whopping 1900+ touches in his career :loco:

(98% behind the best line in football)
This is classic "data in a vacuum" analysis. To me, "wear & tear" is better assessed by looking at:

#1 How many total touches has Priest had over the last 3 years?

#2 If #1 high, as important, how many touches per game has Priest had ove the last 3 years? The 5 to 10 incremental touches and resultant "hits" the body endures whence it is already in a fatigued state exponentially increases wear & tear (analgous to the mileage put on a car beyond necessary oil changes)

#3. His health over the period in #1 and #2. He's had 2 fairly serious injuries.

#4. In light of #1-#3, his age. He'll be 32 this season, a different answer for sure than if he were only 25.

Beware, Priest has "wear and tear". Still has upside production prospects. But combo of "wear and tear" and "stud in the wings" compounds the risk.

But how can you not look at the defenses that were faced, or other circumstances? NFL stats are not laws in physics or proven science, there are countless examples and no point to divulge into them.

I remember how fantastic Trung Canidate and Troy Hambrick were in spot starts and now they are flippin burgers. :hophead:
Really??And to think, all this time I have been looking just at past numbers to figure out which players to select in my drafts. No wonder I am so bad at this.

I have to agree that LJ has looked good all preseason. But people are getting a little too lathered up over one run where the guy didn't have to make a single cut or break one tackle.
This isn't about just one run:2004

Week 13 - 174 total yards - 2 TDs

Week 14 - 123 - 2

Week 15 - 151 - 2

Week 16 - 122 - 2

Week 17 - 161 - 2

How can Vermeil kep him off the field?
:eek: I do remember LJ doing well as the season ended last year, but I never looked at the stats in depth. WOW!!! He has some huge games! Also, he had 1 TD and 4.3 ypc in week 12, not bad at all, then he tore it up. Amazingly he also had that 113 receiving yards the final week of the season!!!

I also forgot about his 7 carry, 104, 2 TD game in week 14. If thats not impressive I don't know what is.
Most people, if they did not own LJ, were not paying attention last year. The guy was a dynamo. I rarely put much stock in preseason games, but when LJ goes off the other night on 9 carries, 150 yards and a TD that means something to me -- probably because I watched him do the same thing for 5 weeks during the regular season last year.The kid is a bona fide stud. He'll be an incredible fantasy player. Book it.

The other factor is that Holmes gets paid 4 times what LJ does. It's nice to think that a team would sit an expensive player, but they don't normally do so.

But how can you not look at the defenses that were faced, or other circumstances? NFL stats are not laws in physics or proven science, there are countless examples and no point to divulge into them. 

I remember how fantastic Trung Canidate and Troy Hambrick were in spot starts and now they are flippin burgers.  :hophead:
Priest=OLD.. LJ=Young. Tell me which side the pendulum swings? LJ getting better all the time and Priest WAS the dominating RB. Still shows flashes of that but his age and injury factor can't be ignored. I can't see him last all year without being injured. If you are a Priest owner without LJ I would be very nervous.
There are alot of backs that would cause me to be nervous if I did not have their backups.Jlo

Edge

LT

CMart

Rudi

Cadi

TJ

Chris Brown

Ahman Green

JJones

I would be loath to spend a 1st round pick on any RB if I didnt think I could get his back up.
That is right but facts are LJ is the cream of the crop for backups and is being taken before the starters are gone.. Why?? Well people know that Priest is a HUGE risk.. I bet you can get almost any other of those RB's as backups LATE in the draft.. Smae can not be said for LJ..
While I will admit that the majority of owners out there view Priest as a risk, it is not the only factor or even the most decisive factor as to LJ being drafted earlier than the other backups. The main factor is that Priest outscores every other back in the league and even his back up does the same. There is no other combo of starter and backup that can even come close.

Someone needs to dredge up the L Johnson threads from one year ago at this time.

I distinctly recall something about diapers & Johnson sucking....
:goodposting: Amen Pony Boy! The same folks who laughed at LJ last year are gushing over him this season!LJ is very good. He was great in college. As long as the Chiefs keep plugging holes for their aging linemen, then he will be fine down the road.

As of right now, he is the best insurance policy in the NFL and FF.

Well I'm only 2 pages through, but I gotta say guys, you're missing one big point. As far as receiving, blocking, goalline work, core elements of a RB that are often overlooked in favor of running ability. The Chiefs have had a top offense every year BECAUSE of priest. Priest led that offense in everything for two straight years, and was aboslutely tearing it up untill he got hurt halfway through the season. This man can run, receive, block a top rushing DE, and get that one yard no matter what. LJ may have a 1/2 step faster run/cut, but he can't do everything Priest can.

Well I'm only 2 pages through, but I gotta say guys, you're missing one big point. As far as receiving, blocking, goalline work, core elements of a RB that are often overlooked in favor of running ability. The Chiefs have had a top offense every year BECAUSE of priest. Priest led that offense in everything for two straight years, and was aboslutely tearing it up untill he got hurt halfway through the season. This man can run, receive, block a top rushing DE, and get that one yard no matter what. LJ may have a 1/2 step faster run/cut, but he can't do everything Priest can.
Recieving? I would say LJ is just as good as Priest right now, if not better. I only watcheda few Chiefs games last year, but LJ seemed to do an good job picking up blitzers, plus i dont recall hearing anything about him not doing well in that area. As far as goalline back, Priest does have a nose for the endzone, but i cant imagine LJ being much worse then Holmes is he is force fed inside the 10 like Priest was. Also, are you telling me the Chiefs offense would not be one of the tops if Priest was not there? I have a hard time believing that considering what the Chiefs did when he got hurt last year. As a matter of fact, i think the Chiefs won more games without Priest last year than they did with him.

Users who are viewing this thread