What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

Qualify this with the fact that I am NOT a big Star Wars guy, BUT.....if I'd waited in the Smuggler's Run line that first day for 7+ hours for THAT ride, I'd have been pissed.  To me, it was very similar to Star Tours with some interactive roles for people to play.  I'm glad we got to do it, but I don't see what the fuss was all about.  For me, Avatar is still the gold standard in terms of rides.

ETA:  And I appreciate their wanting to make the land an immersive experience, but it's going to be lost on people like me.  Having a simple chat with crew members while waiting in line was virtually impossible.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Qualify this with the fact that I am NOT a big Star Wars guy, BUT.....if I'd waited in the Smuggler's Run line that first day for 7+ hours for THAT ride, I'd have been pissed.  To me, it was very similar to Star Tours with some interactive roles for people to play.  I'm glad we got to do it, but I don't see what the fuss was all about.  For me, Avatar is still the gold standard in terms of rides.

ETA:  And I appreciate their wanting to make the land an immersive experience, but it's going to be lost on people like me.  Having a simple chat with crew members while waiting in line was virtually impossible.  
The big ticket ride is rise of resistance. Supposed to be a game changer. 

Yup. 

What were you referring to with chatting with crew members? 
I don't know why, but I look at the name tags and where they're from and if I see something interesting I chat them up a bit.  Or talking to them about it being absurdly hot to be in those all consuming costumes or talking to them about the visitors and how that's been going or talking to them about the hurricane etc.  The ONLY reference I got (and I had to piece it together...at first I thought it was simply a joke) was about "being used to the heat from the three suns".  The rest they'd talk about these different places (not sure if they were planets, or places on a planet) being similar in condition or talking about this particular set of "beings" being more bearable than this other one.  I just gave up...had no idea what they were talking about.

I don't know why, but I look at the name tags and where they're from and if I see something interesting I chat them up a bit.  Or talking to them about it being absurdly hot to be in those all consuming costumes or talking to them about the visitors and how that's been going or talking to them about the hurricane etc.  The ONLY reference I got (and I had to piece it together...at first I thought it was simply a joke) was about "being used to the heat from the three suns".  The rest they'd talk about these different places (not sure if they were planets, or places on a planet) being similar in condition or talking about this particular set of "beings" being more bearable than this other one.  I just gave up...had no idea what they were talking about.
Yea but for the nerds that’s a large part of the fun. But I get it if it isn’t for you. 

Yea but for the nerds that’s a large part of the fun. But I get it if it isn’t for you. 
I know, and I get it.  It's why I qualified my comments initially.  I knew I was in for it, when I was walking in and they basically gave me a translation guide to study while I was in line :lmao:  

Sad day as a big chunk of Epcot will be closing tomorrow. 

Club cool, Starbucks (they will reopen in the Oddesy), and the character spot will be walled off tomorrow night and demolished as part of the new Epcot reimagining. 

So long Beverly! So long....

For you guys that have split your stay between two hotels, is Uber/Lyft the only way to move between the hotels? Going from Beach Club to the Contemporary with luggage for 4.

For you guys that have split your stay between two hotels, is Uber/Lyft the only way to move between the hotels? Going from Beach Club to the Contemporary with luggage for 4.
well for starters, the resort will move your luggage for free between the 2 resorts. It just may take a few hours. 

Otherwise, if you really want to bring your bags,  uber/lyft or a Taxi can get you there. There are van taxies that are just as cheap as Uber/Lyft, prob cheaper b.c you don't need the uberXL. Taxis can be called right at the resort bell stand and are usually no more than a parking lot away. 

You are going to have a gap in time anyway though. Check out is around 10 and check in at the new resort is at 4. So your bags will need to be stored somewhere—either at BC or at Contemp—while the room is getting ready. So my option is just give them to the BC baggage guys and go enjoy your day. Then head to CR after 4 and everything should be there. 

A side note, if you are on the dining plan, realize that you will have 2 separate plans.  They go by resort stay, not overall length of stay. So you will have had to buy 2 dining plans to be covered for the full trip. On your "checkout resort 1/Check in resort 2" day,  you will effectively have double credits. Make sure that they are taking the right credits, and any credits from the 1st stay will expire at midnight on your "check out of resort 1" day. 

Busch Gardens is pretty awesome. Think it's better than universal
I don’t want to harp on it but I was pretty underwhelmed overall with Universal - I think my expectations were too high.  Granted, we still had a good time but the idea that they are as good or better than Disney is just nonsense to me.

At magic kingdom right now. So far so good crowd wise. Got here at 8. Its now 11 and we have done aladdin, jungle cruise, splash mountain, peter pan, little mermaid, small world, carousel, and had a fatty cinnamon roll at gastons. Have 11:05 fastpass for buzz light year followed by winnie the pooh and then will likely head back to hotel for nap time. 

Busch Gardens is pretty awesome. Think it's better than universal
Which one did you go to?  Tampa?  I was at the Williamsburg one probably 20 years ago and it had some great coasters.  Also, remember you could drink anywhere there which felt so different then Disney.  

Which one did you go to?  Tampa?  I was at the Williamsburg one probably 20 years ago and it had some great coasters.  Also, remember you could drink anywhere there which felt so different then Disney.  
Yeah...we were in Tampa.  The best part is the variety....I have three kids....12, 7 and 2.  There's something there for all of them, though the 7 year old wants to do some things she's not tall enough for yet.  Beers everywhere, though Disney is trying to change that.  Feels forced in Disney for some reason.  Personally, it's been so ####### hot that the last thing I've wanted to put in my dehydrated body is beer.  It really is absurd how much I sweat.  

I am sorry if i missed it, but is everything ok? 
Yep - definitely 1st world problems and nothing wrong.  Just decided dropping 7k for that trip didn’t make a lot of sense.  We’ve been fortunate to travel a lot lately and have a lot more on the horizon.  Our “issue” is having a family of 6 so lodging is just insane on property.  We managed to have free dining twice this year and cancelled both just because we wanted to spend the money on other trips.  

I realize I totally sound like a ##### complaining that I don’t get to go to Disney for the 20th time.

Yep - definitely 1st world problems and nothing wrong.  Just decided dropping 7k for that trip didn’t make a lot of sense.  We’ve been fortunate to travel a lot lately and have a lot more on the horizon.  Our “issue” is having a family of 6 so lodging is just insane on property.  We managed to have free dining twice this year and cancelled both just because we wanted to spend the money on other trips.  

I realize I totally sound like a ##### complaining that I don’t get to go to Disney for the 20th time.
Complain away. We have been cutting back our trips here as well. It is just way too expensive for us these days. The fact that these parks are constantly filled with people is just insane to me. They just keep raising prices and getting more and more people. An annual pass was 499 in 2010. It is 1119 now. 

A side note, if you are on the dining plan, realize that you will have 2 separate plans.  They go by resort stay, not overall length of stay. So you will have had to buy 2 dining plans to be covered for the full trip. On your "checkout resort 1/Check in resort 2" day,  you will effectively have double credits. Make sure that they are taking the right credits, and any credits from the 1st stay will expire at midnight on your "check out of resort 1" day. 
We've been talking about a split stay for our next trip since there's so many resorts we want to try out.  Sounds like doing Dining Plan with it will gig us for an extra day of food though, huh?  So if it's a Sunday thru Saturday stay with a Wednesday resort switch, we pay for Sun-Wed, then Wed-Sat?  Surely they have a way to realize oh it's a split stay, let's not charge for one day because Wed is double? 

We've been talking about a split stay for our next trip since there's so many resorts we want to try out.  Sounds like doing Dining Plan with it will gig us for an extra day of food though, huh?  So if it's a Sunday thru Saturday stay with a Wednesday resort switch, we pay for Sun-Wed, then Wed-Sat?  Surely they have a way to realize oh it's a split stay, let's not charge for one day because Wed is double? 
i like split stays just for that reason, but they are not for everyone. 

I honestly don't know if they have a system or not to take the right credits, I just make sure to mention it on that split day. A good way to work it so you don't have so much extra food on one day is to plan a 2-credit meal early on the trip. Something like Hoop dee-doo or the luau on the first part of the trip so that soaks up the extra sit down credit for the split day. 

Another downfall of the split stay is that you will technically be homeless for a few hours mid day. Check out is at 10 and check in is at 4 so you'll be without most of your luggage for a good span of time. 

Speaking of luggage, we travel as a group of 4, so normally a suitcase per person. What we do when split staying is we pack a set of suitcases with clothes for the 1st hotel, and then a second set with the rest of the clothes for the 2nd hotel. This way, the 2nd set goes right into the closet and not opened, this way we don't have to worry about repacking much before that 1st checkout.

Lastly, split stays with the dining plan work best if you plan on getting to the resorts early on day 1. You will need to maximize the "available eating time" I've told it here before, but on our split stay we flew in really late b/c I tried to save a vacation day at work. When we got on the magical express, the driver got lost and we didn't get to the resort until past 1am. We had planned on a late QS meal at the resort but it was closed by the time we got there. So that was a whole day's credits we couldn't use, so that made catching up even harder. So sometimes people will opt to not get the DP on their 1st resort stay and only get it on the 2nd wher you have more control over your time. 

just some observations on it. 

Complain away. We have been cutting back our trips here as well. It is just way too expensive for us these days. The fact that these parks are constantly filled with people is just insane to me. They just keep raising prices and getting more and more people. An annual pass was 499 in 2010. It is 1119 now. 
This makes me sound like a doosh so I get it, but I’m glad the prices have gone up. They had to go up. The parks are massively packed now —  if it was 499 for an AP at Disney World right now you wouldn’t be able to move in there. 

Capella said:
This makes me sound like a doosh so I get it, but I’m glad the prices have gone up. They had to go up. The parks are massively packed now —  if it was 499 for an AP at Disney World right now you wouldn’t be able to move in there. 
And just to be clear, I’m not complaining, I’m just trying to get the most for my dollars.  For that 7k I can’t do 2 other trips plus 1-2 3-day weekends and throw in some camping.  Kind of hard to justify.  If we were Florida residents we would be AP holders.  We currently have Universal passes.  Part of my story is also the kids getting older and having other places we want to travel.  I still hate that I’m not going to F&W though - my single favorite thing on property.

Capella said:
If we are going to go down this road get rid of florida resident discounts, make class trips cost a ton more, and any family wearing matching shirts pays double. 

Then the extra costs over the years might be worth it after all. 

Mostly love the rooms at bay lake. I imagine they would give @El Floppo heartburn though. I think he is an architect. These things are so poorly designed it is kind of funny. 

You practically dislocate your shoulder trying to get toilet paper in the second bathroom. The cabinets open up into the appliances putting dents in the corners. Who designs a bathroom so that the only place you can put the toilet paper is on the wall right next to the tank?

And these weird skinny sliding cabinets are completely useless for anything but spices. I know there are some die hard disney people that stay in these things for weeks and perhaps would be adventurous enough to go and buy some seasoning salt and a few other things. But who the hell is going to go buy 497 spices for their stay at disney? 

Taking away major life milestones and sex, there are not too many better feelings in this world than walking down mainstreet on the sidewalk and feeling the blasts of cold air from the stores. 

ETA: Also immensely satisfying when the spitting camel by aladdin gets unsuspecting cell phone users.  

Taking away major life milestones and sex, there are not too many better feelings in this world than walking down mainstreet on the sidewalk and feeling the blasts of cold air from the stores. 

ETA: Also immensely satisfying when the spitting camel by aladdin gets unsuspecting cell phone users.  
On the hottest days, we have just taken to walking through the emporium instead of Main Street. So much more comfortable. 

Probably has cost me a few hundred dollars though. 

Mostly love the rooms at bay lake. I imagine they would give @El Floppo heartburn though. I think he is an architect. These things are so poorly designed it is kind of funny. 

You practically dislocate your shoulder trying to get toilet paper in the second bathroom. The cabinets open up into the appliances putting dents in the corners. Who designs a bathroom so that the only place you can put the toilet paper is on the wall right next to the tank?

And these weird skinny sliding cabinets are completely useless for anything but spices. I know there are some die hard disney people that stay in these things for weeks and perhaps would be adventurous enough to go and buy some seasoning salt and a few other things. But who the hell is going to go buy 497 spices for their stay at disney? 
What type of room are you staying in? I have to say, staying in many of the 1 bedrooms across property, BLT is the best designed overall...at least it has 2 full bathrooms. The other 1 bedrooms boggle my mind with their configuration of the bathroom/toilet and shower. You need to physically walk through the shower room to use the toilet which is in a whole other room and the interior designer made the whole shower enclosure CLEAR GLASS...so if i'm taking a shower, my kids cant use the toilet??!!?? Normally you could wait, but when you are on vacation and everyone is rushing to save time and get out the door, these things matter. They could have easily reconfigured the doors to allow access into each room independently. 

Edit: most 1 bedroom layouts               Bay lake's 1 Bedroom layout (minus the grey area lock-off room)

I think that spice thing is also big enough to accommodate thin boxes, like cereal and snacks but I don't remember. But I agree, seems like a useless feature. 

As for your other comment about the A/C, my daughter LOVES the blast of A/C that comes out of the BLT vestibule. She calls it the "Bay Lake Blast" and—even after a long park day—will physically run to be the 1st one though the vestibule to get that blast of air built-up inside that little entry room. lol

So despite missing out on the free dining trip I’m still trying to figure out how to get down to Orlando around Xmas.

Few questions for you guys:

- how crowded is Universals during Xmas - I’m assuming it’s nuts like Disney?

- how much Xmas decorating/makeover do they do at Universal?

- can you recommend non-park Disney Xmas activities - I want to visit as many resorts just to see them decorated but looking for suggestions on which ones and any other stuff going on as we will almost definitely not pay for park tickets 

This seems like about the 3rd or 4th time I’ve been trying to put this together but I’m determined this year to make it happen.  Or next :)  

So despite missing out on the free dining trip I’m still trying to figure out how to get down to Orlando around Xmas.

- can you recommend non-park Disney Xmas activities - I want to visit as many resorts just to see them decorated but looking for suggestions on which ones and any other stuff going on as we will almost definitely not pay for park tickets 

This seems like about the 3rd or 4th time I’ve been trying to put this together but I’m determined this year to make it happen.  Or next :)  
My wife's been on a mission to go to Gaylord Palms at Christmas.  I think it's a mini "ice city" with ice slides etc.  If I can't avoid it again, I might have an update for you, but that's something she keeps talking about.  Can't vouch for it though.  Not been to Universal at Christmas so not sure there.

Universal's biggest season is Halloween.  (The Halloween Horror Nights series is amazing.)  At Xmas it won't be Disney-crowded but still packed.  Consider staying on-property or buying eXpress to jump the lines.  

Universal doesn't do Xmas overlays of attractions like Disney does, but will decorate the parks.  The Seuss Landing section is transformed, complete with Grinch and the Whoville residents wandering around and doing photo-ops.  There will also be a Grinch mini-musical on the scale of the Lion King and Finding Nemo shows at AK in a studio by IOA walkable from Seuss Landing.  The Harry Potter sections will have Christmas decorations and holiday pop-up shows - the Hogwarts castle done up for Xmas is really cool.  And over at Studios they stage a mini-version of the Macy's Parade through the big city set section with inflatables and characters.  During the day they will recruit guests to be an inflatable handler.  (We passed on it because our schedule was tight, but the people doing it in the parade seemed to be having fun.)  Those are the highlights.  Some of the characters will have Xmas dress, I remember Shrek and Donkey being in Xmas spirit.  

Our favorite Disney non-park stuff at Xmas... touring the monorail resorts and seeing the decorations and meeting characters is fun: grand Floridian usually has a life-size gingerbread house, Contemporary will have the biggest wreath on the property, Polynesian has Ohana.  Also dig the Wilderness section - the Wilderness Lodge at Xmas is the resort that feels the most Christmas-y to me.  You can also take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Wilderness campgrounds, great if you want something a little quieter by Disney standards, and there's lots of campers who set up sites for the entire month of December and decorate their site, so it's like a Xmas lights tour, too.  Haven't spent much time at Disney Springs since the renovations there, but I'm a big fan of the boat ride from Port Orleans to Disney Springs - it covers a lot of ground that isn't seen otherwise.  

Not to invite a discussion about the morality of SeaWorld, but they do a good Xmas overlay and add a skating rink in December.  IIRC Legoland does some Xmas overlay stuff, too, like 6-8 foot Lego Christmas trees and such.   

My wife's been on a mission to go to Gaylord Palms at Christmas.  I think it's a mini "ice city" with ice slides etc.  If I can't avoid it again, I might have an update for you, but that's something she keeps talking about.  Can't vouch for it though.  Not been to Universal at Christmas so not sure there.
It’s meh

Sitting here waiting for my wife and daughter to get off the carousel. Overhear the following, from a roughly 70 year old customer and a 70 year old castmember...

Parkgoer: is this mickeys philharmonic?

Cm: you mean philharmagic? 

Pg: yes. 

Cm:yes

Pg: ok, we have a quick pass for this. 

Cm: you have a what? 

Pg's granddaughter: fastpass

Cm: oh ok, for what time. 

Pg:now

Cm: ok the fastpass entrance is right there. 

Pg: ok (her and her family get out of non existent line to walk around and mess with fastpass check in that is not staffed) 

Cm: oh sorry, just come in this line over here there is no wait, go right in. 

Sitting here waiting for my wife and daughter to get off the carousel. Overhear the following, from a roughly 70 year old customer and a 70 year old castmember...

Parkgoer: is this mickeys philharmonic?

Cm: you mean philharmagic? 

Pg: yes. 

Cm:yes

Pg: ok, we have a quick pass for this. 

Cm: you have a what? 

Pg's granddaughter: fastpass

Cm: oh ok, for what time. 

Pg:now

Cm: ok the fastpass entrance is right there. 

Pg: ok (her and her family get out of non existent line to walk around and mess with fastpass check in that is not staffed) 

Cm: oh sorry, just come in this line over here there is no wait, go right in. 
ugh...feel so bad for people who waste the precious FPs. Sw similar for people with Splash Mtn at 9:30 am. The standby line was moving just as fast. 

Universal's biggest season is Halloween.  (The Halloween Horror Nights series is amazing.)  At Xmas it won't be Disney-crowded but still packed.  Consider staying on-property or buying eXpress to jump the lines.  

Universal doesn't do Xmas overlays of attractions like Disney does, but will decorate the parks.  The Seuss Landing section is transformed, complete with Grinch and the Whoville residents wandering around and doing photo-ops.  There will also be a Grinch mini-musical on the scale of the Lion King and Finding Nemo shows at AK in a studio by IOA walkable from Seuss Landing.  The Harry Potter sections will have Christmas decorations and holiday pop-up shows - the Hogwarts castle done up for Xmas is really cool.  And over at Studios they stage a mini-version of the Macy's Parade through the big city set section with inflatables and characters.  During the day they will recruit guests to be an inflatable handler.  (We passed on it because our schedule was tight, but the people doing it in the parade seemed to be having fun.)  Those are the highlights.  Some of the characters will have Xmas dress, I remember Shrek and Donkey being in Xmas spirit.  

Our favorite Disney non-park stuff at Xmas... touring the monorail resorts and seeing the decorations and meeting characters is fun: grand Floridian usually has a life-size gingerbread house, Contemporary will have the biggest wreath on the property, Polynesian has Ohana.  Also dig the Wilderness section - the Wilderness Lodge at Xmas is the resort that feels the most Christmas-y to me.  You can also take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Wilderness campgrounds, great if you want something a little quieter by Disney standards, and there's lots of campers who set up sites for the entire month of December and decorate their site, so it's like a Xmas lights tour, too.  Haven't spent much time at Disney Springs since the renovations there, but I'm a big fan of the boat ride from Port Orleans to Disney Springs - it covers a lot of ground that isn't seen otherwise.  

Not to invite a discussion about the morality of SeaWorld, but they do a good Xmas overlay and add a skating rink in December.  IIRC Legoland does some Xmas overlay stuff, too, like 6-8 foot Lego Christmas trees and such.   
At fort wildneress you can also rent a golf cart (even if you aren’t staying there) and drive around to see all the decorations. Truly ridiculous what people put up there. Golf cart costs 60 bucks a day. 

At fort wildneress you can also rent a golf cart (even if you aren’t staying there) and drive around to see all the decorations. Truly ridiculous what people put up there. Golf cart costs 60 bucks a day. 
We did this at Halloween one year and the kids dressed up and got a ridiculous amount of candy.  May need to consider this.

AAABatteries said:
We did this at Halloween one year and the kids dressed up and got a ridiculous amount of candy.  May need to consider this.
I think it’s the low key coolest thing to do at Disney. Everybody is nice, you’re just cruising around in cool weather looking at everything - it’s a good time. The decorations people put up at their camp grounds are mind blowing. Some lady last year set up some kind of giant throne that Santa was sitting on. Another person had literally hundreds of those cheese ball blown up lawn things outside - I guess these people just rent storage in Orlando for this and keep it there all year? It’s wild. 

I think it’s the low key coolest thing to do at Disney. Everybody is nice, you’re just cruising around in cool weather looking at everything - it’s a good time. The decorations people put up at their camp grounds are mind blowing. Some lady last year set up some kind of giant throne that Santa was sitting on. Another person had literally hundreds of those cheese ball blown up lawn things outside - I guess these people just rent storage in Orlando for this and keep it there all year? It’s wild. 
I appreciate you posting it - for a while we’ve wanted to go back and do Halloween at Fort Wilderness but the kids are too old now - when I mentioned this to my wife her eyes lit up.  Assuming we do end up going there’s a good chance we’ll do this.  

Do you know if I just call the main Disney line if they can help with the golf cart rental?

I appreciate you posting it - for a while we’ve wanted to go back and do Halloween at Fort Wilderness but the kids are too old now - when I mentioned this to my wife her eyes lit up.  Assuming we do end up going there’s a good chance we’ll do this.  

Do you know if I just call the main Disney line if they can help with the golf cart rental?
I’ll get you the number — my wife has it. 

407-824-2742

whatever day you want, you’ll have the cart all day. It’s not like a 4 hour window or anything. 

We were at animal kingdom and there was a younger couple with what i assume were their parents. They grab a table at harambe and then the parents start to go to order food. The daughter says we can just mobile order and go pick it up when it is ready. The parents resist and the mom says we will just go up and get food. There was no line. 

The daughter pulls up the app, her and her husband start looking at the menu, ordering etc. As disney IT so often does, it was running poorly. Not long after they are done ordering the parents come back with their food. 

I enjoyed when the dad, thus far silent, said "Are you guys not gonna eat?" 

I think he may have just been oblivious to the whole scenario, but he may also have just been sarcastic. I am not sure which scenario i enjoy more. Either way the blank stare on his face when they said they mobile ordered was priceless. 

Psychopav said:
Anyone done the MIckey not-so-scary Halloween party yet?  How was it?
We did it once. It was like half the price it is now and we still thought it was a waste of money. 

But plenty of others disagree. 

We go annually. Wife loves it. You’re basically paying for a parade, which to be fair is really good. I don’t think it’s worth it but I’ll be going every year till I die so hey. 

It used to be a lot better when they didn’t let as many people in - used to be like a quarter of regular attendance so you could crush any rides. Now it’s like 75% of a regular day and space mountain has an hour wait so it’s just really stupid. Apparently attendance for them is way down this year so that’s positive. 

So disney water is poopy. We brought a sawyer filter with us on this trip to fill our bladders and i cant believe how good it worked and how good it tasted. I always felt guilty drinking about 30 bottles of water from the grocery store on these trips.

Users who are viewing this thread