What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (5 Viewers)

anyone have info on this grad night? The week we are looking at has at least one of them on each Fri so e will hit one - heard its a ton of HS kids with music blasting until 4am - ugh! Anyone experience or heard about this - can I live through it one night or should I try to rearrange everything which is a huge hassle to avoid it.
I only go during the slow times while I don't have any kids in school. i would recommend that. I can see where the Grad nights would be a problem with a bunch of High School Seniors, but could schools/parents afford to bring all the kids on ground to the Polynesian?

Decided to take the plunge in mid April - 2 kids 6.5 yrs old and 3.5 yrs oldI never go anywhere (hate to fly) so will be splurging a bit so money not a big deal in the scheme of things We are debating a few room options - a regular room at the Polynesian; a concierge lounge room at the Polynesian or a 2 BR Villa at the Old Key West; regular room at the Floridian - any recs?How noisy are the hotels? Read the walls are pretty thin.Also - one of the weeks we were looking at has a grad night in it - heard some bad things about that...anyone experience? Think I will avoid...How are the bars? May have to sneak down and knock a few back to keep my sanity!
We stayed at the Wilderness Resort. We are going back in two years and will be staying there again. We loved getting back to the hotel and feeling like we were in Yellowstone and getting away from the Disney experience for a bit.
The Wilderness Lodge is great but you should give the Polynesian a try. The place is beautiful at night and the transportation options are the best of any resort.
We visited it last time, very nice place. But as told by my :own3d: we are a "wilderness" type of family ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The meal plan was great when we went in October but I hear they are cutting the gratuity and dessert out. Has that happened yet?Also, ATC1, what is that user name from?
Yes it has, but it's no appetizer, not dessert. Effective 1/1/2008
correct and gratuity is no longer included as well. I can see not using it, but when I go on vacation, I will spend that much on meals easily.
That sucks but it's still well worth it, especially when you eat at the nicer places. One side note don't be fooled into thinking you have to order the kids food off of the kids menu for counter service.

We are thinking of going to WDW over President's Day Weekend--what are people's thoughts on staying at one of the WD resorts versus renting a house?

We are thinking of going to WDW over President's Day Weekend--what are people's thoughts on staying at one of the WD resorts versus renting a house?
Offsite is definitely cheaper and we all know you are not about cheaper. 2 Bedroom Grand Suite Concierge level Grand Floridian or the suite in Cinderella's castle is more your speed.

Have a conference in 2 weeks there. Everything was booked but the Coronado. Anyone stay there before?
Yep. It is a huge resort, built specifically for conferences. The theme is spanish/mexican. The rooms are nice and there are 4 pools, the nicest one has a large Aztec pyramid with a water slide. The grounds are beautiful and it is nice to walk around the large lake. You can also rent boats and bikes.I didn't try any of the restaurants there. It is close to the Animal Kingdom & Disney Studios but a fair distance from Magic Kingdom.Overall we liked it.

Offsite is cheaper. It really comes down to this:Unless you are staying at a Disney Villa or Townhouse you will get more room in a house rented offsite. Many offer private pools, hot tubs, gamerooms, etc. Obviously you won't get room & maid service and if you don't feel like cooking you'll probably need to get in the car. You may get shuttle service to/from the parks but it won't be as convenient as Disney transportation and you will have a longer commute and have to pay for parking while onsite. Since you are off property so you aren't immersed in Disney 24 hours/day (a plus for some people, a minus for others)If you stay at a Disney Resort you don't have to drive a car for the rest of your vacation if you don't want to. If you do drive you will have a shorter commute and you'll get free parking. Resort guests also get Early Entry and Extra Magic hours in different parks on different days and you can have purchases at the parks sent directly to your resort. You are also immersed in Disney 24 hours a day for your entire stay which as I said before is either a plus or minus depending on your point of view.

10 days away from my 7th trip to WDW, 2nd with our family. Kids were 4 & 1 last time, 7 & 4 now. Last time was really great, even with the kids being as small as they were (I don't agree with some earlier posts in this thread the this is no place for small kids, we had a blast with ours). Got all the dinner reservations made, Bibbity bobbity boo all set up with the Cinderella breakfast right after it.

Got the extra tix for the Princess & Pirate party, anyone been to this?

We went last year for 1 quick day with our 2.5 year old and he still talks about it constantly. Since there is so much negative talk about taking little ones, we thought we would try a 1 day run at the Magic Kingdom. He behaved well all day, took a nap in the stroller before the parade and generally enjoyed the entire experience.

The only mistake we made was making The Pirates of the Caribbean the first dark ride. He was a little scared and the noise was a little too much for him to handle. However, after he understood the dark rides, he was fine. We did skip the Haunted Mansion, but I think we will try it this trip.

We are going back in 6 days and he cannot wait. This time we are planning on spending 1 day in the Magic Kingdom and 1 day split between The Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios. We will then decide if we will return for a 3rd day or not.

We went last year for 1 quick day with our 2.5 year old and he still talks about it constantly. Since there is so much negative talk about taking little ones, we thought we would try a 1 day run at the Magic Kingdom. He behaved well all day, took a nap in the stroller before the parade and generally enjoyed the entire experience.The only mistake we made was making The Pirates of the Caribbean the first dark ride. He was a little scared and the noise was a little too much for him to handle. However, after he understood the dark rides, he was fine. We did skip the Haunted Mansion, but I think we will try it this trip.We are going back in 6 days and he cannot wait. This time we are planning on spending 1 day in the Magic Kingdom and 1 day split between The Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios. We will then decide if we will return for a 3rd day or not.
When we went a little over a year ago we missed almost half of MGM and we spent the whole day there. Between the Car show, the studio backlot tour, Fantasmic & Plays.. Not to mention the time spent in lines to get autographs we just never had a chance to get to:Tower of TerrorRock & Roller CoasterStar WarsIndiana JonesWe've already made up our minds that when we go in 2009 we will get the park hopper pass and add one day to our trip so we can just hop around one day to see what we missed/want to see again.

10 days away from my 7th trip to WDW, 2nd with our family. Kids were 4 & 1 last time, 7 & 4 now. Last time was really great, even with the kids being as small as they were (I don't agree with some earlier posts in this thread the this is no place for small kids, we had a blast with ours). Got all the dinner reservations made, Bibbity bobbity boo all set up with the Cinderella breakfast right after it.Got the extra tix for the Princess & Pirate party, anyone been to this?
We went to the Princess & Pirate party two times last year. We really enjoyed it mainly because Magic Kingdom empties out and you can get on all the rides with little or no wait. Also cool to let the kids dress up and let them do the scavenger (sp) hunt.

So what do you all think is the "right' amount of days to stay in Disneyworld. If you want to do all the parks justice and then maybe do MGM/Universal also?

We took our 8 and 3 year old this last summer to Disneyland--it was our 8 year old's 3rd time there. We stayed 3 days-4 nights and that felt just right to see pretty much everything in Disneyland we wanted to see and was right at our 3 year old's limit. But even at that time frame we dropped close to $5,000.

So assuming staying at the Wilderness lodge and then maybe moving to another Disney property mid week just to break things up, are we talking 7 days?? 10 days?? Of course this means eating on property for all meals, are we thinking $10,000?? $15,000? We don't want to deal with renting a car BTW.

We are thinking about waiting a couple years until our 3 year old is closer to 5-6 age range, so she doesn't have to miss some of the big people rides and yes, we are the types that want to be IN the Disney experience 24/7.

We went last year for 1 quick day with our 2.5 year old and he still talks about it constantly. Since there is so much negative talk about taking little ones, we thought we would try a 1 day run at the Magic Kingdom. He behaved well all day, took a nap in the stroller before the parade and generally enjoyed the entire experience.The only mistake we made was making The Pirates of the Caribbean the first dark ride. He was a little scared and the noise was a little too much for him to handle. However, after he understood the dark rides, he was fine. We did skip the Haunted Mansion, but I think we will try it this trip.We are going back in 6 days and he cannot wait. This time we are planning on spending 1 day in the Magic Kingdom and 1 day split between The Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios. We will then decide if we will return for a 3rd day or not.
When we went a little over a year ago we missed almost half of MGM and we spent the whole day there. Between the Car show, the studio backlot tour, Fantasmic & Plays.. Not to mention the time spent in lines to get autographs we just never had a chance to get to:Tower of TerrorRock & Roller CoasterStar WarsIndiana JonesWe've already made up our minds that when we go in 2009 we will get the park hopper pass and add one day to our trip so we can just hop around one day to see what we missed/want to see again.
You should skip the lines for single characters. There are designated areas in each park were you wait in air condition and can see 3-8 characters back to back. Cuts down on time significantly. i understand there maybe a favorite for the little ones, but i really suggest it. Also, for little ones, the character meals is the way to go to distract them while you have a chance to eat.

So what do you all think is the "right' amount of days to stay in Disneyworld. If you want to do all the parks justice and then maybe do MGM/Universal also?

We took our 8 and 3 year old this last summer to Disneyland--it was our 8 year old's 3rd time there. We stayed 3 days-4 nights and that felt just right to see pretty much everything in Disneyland we wanted to see and was right at our 3 year old's limit. But even at that time frame we dropped close to $5,000.

So assuming staying at the Wilderness lodge and then maybe moving to another Disney property mid week just to break things up, are we talking 7 days?? 10 days?? Of course this means eating on property for all meals, are we thinking $10,000?? $15,000? We don't want to deal with renting a car BTW.

We are thinking about waiting a couple years until our 3 year old is closer to 5-6 age range, so she doesn't have to miss some of the big people rides and yes, we are the types that want to be IN the Disney experience 24/7.
:popcorn: We stayed for 5 days/6 nights at Wilderness lodge in December 2006.

We got the Passes to the parks, the food package, Airfare and transportation all for under $3,000.

Might want to look into using a travel agent next time to get the best deals available.

You should skip the lines for single characters. There are designated areas in each park were you wait in air condition and can see 3-8 characters back to back. Cuts down on time significantly. i understand there maybe a favorite for the little ones, but i really suggest it. Also, for little ones, the character meals is the way to go to distract them while you have a chance to eat.
:coffee: Most of the times we did jsut that. MGM was our first stop so learned the hard way how much time you waste in lines for autographs. Next time our daughter will be 11 and will just :rolleyes: at the thought of autographs. :thumbup:

10 days away from my 7th trip to WDW, 2nd with our family. Kids were 4 & 1 last time, 7 & 4 now. Last time was really great, even with the kids being as small as they were (I don't agree with some earlier posts in this thread the this is no place for small kids, we had a blast with ours). Got all the dinner reservations made, Bibbity bobbity boo all set up with the Cinderella breakfast right after it.Got the extra tix for the Princess & Pirate party, anyone been to this?
We went to the Princess & Pirate party two times last year. We really enjoyed it mainly because Magic Kingdom empties out and you can get on all the rides with little or no wait. Also cool to let the kids dress up and let them do the scavenger (sp) hunt.
Thanks. No doubt they'll be dressing up :coffee:

:coffee: We stayed for 5 days/6 nights at Wilderness lodge in December 2006.

We got the Passes to the parks, the food package, Airfare and transportation all for under $3,000.

Might want to look into using a travel agent next time to get the best deals available.
What drove it up this last time at Disneyland was the food bill. 3 character meals, Rainforest Cafe, ESPNzone (my bar tab), etc. All of the Grand California's eating options were of course high. I think our travel package was reasonable--just shopping and food were high.I just want to make sure when we go we are not saying, "Well, it would be nice to experience that, but we better not," that is why I was toying with the $10,000 number--it better not be any higher. :rolleyes:

So what do you all think is the "right' amount of days to stay in Disneyworld. If you want to do all the parks justice and then maybe do MGM/Universal also?We took our 8 and 3 year old this last summer to Disneyland--it was our 8 year old's 3rd time there. We stayed 3 days-4 nights and that felt just right to see pretty much everything in Disneyland we wanted to see and was right at our 3 year old's limit. But even at that time frame we dropped close to $5,000.So assuming staying at the Wilderness lodge and then maybe moving to another Disney property mid week just to break things up, are we talking 7 days?? 10 days?? Of course this means eating on property for all meals, are we thinking $10,000?? $15,000? We don't want to deal with renting a car BTW.We are thinking about waiting a couple years until our 3 year old is closer to 5-6 age range, so she doesn't have to miss some of the big people rides and yes, we are the types that want to be IN the Disney experience 24/7.
It really depends if you want to do a wham bam trip of every park, or really see everything DW has. Pre DVC we used to do a park everyday, visit them, stay in the value resorts and felt like we got the better bang for the buck and did not need to stay as long. We go to the park on the days that have the extended hours for on grounds. We do hop sometimes, but not offten because it seems to be too much moving around or takes up too much time. If there was something we did not get a chance to do we might hop if we like. However, now that we are in the DVC, if we go at the time were the parks are pretty empty and the points are less, we go to a park, next day take a break from the park and go to downtown disney/disney quest. Then go to the park the next day, next day walk the Boardwalk and play professional or kiddie putt-putt (professional golf if you can get away from the kids). Next day a park, following day maybe universal. Next Typhoon Lagoon and end on a park before driving home the next day.That would be 8 days and 8 nights, and I would imagine costing a good amount. I don't know how much since I'm with the DVC. Staying at the vlaue resorts are not bad. It's a holiday-inn with the Disney atmosphere and shuttle. However, I don't think you get the "full" experience. ETA: "Full experience" meaning, there are tons of things to do at the other resorts as well where the value resorts don't. Charater breakfasts, better pools, spas, bars, nicer resturants.

:goodposting: We stayed for 5 days/6 nights at Wilderness lodge in December 2006.

What drove it up this last time at Disneyland was the food bill. 3 character meals, Rainforest Cafe, ESPNzone (my bar tab), etc. All of the Grand California's eating options were of course high. I think our travel package was reasonable--just shopping and food were high.I just want to make sure when we go we are not saying, "Well, it would be nice to experience that, but we better not," that is why I was toying with the $10,000 number--it better not be any higher. :wub:
Meal plan is my best friend.

Booked in April for 6 nights at the Grand Floridian - looked nice and we got a concierge room which has a lounge with breakfast, snacks, booze at night and such. Entire stay (excluding air fare) is something like $5,500 which included room, meal plan and park tix for family of 4. Pricey to be sure but its right next to the MK and I haven't gone anywherein years (deathly afraid of flying - see my other thread) so might as well splurge for the kids.

Thanks for all the good info! Anyone stay at the grand floridian?

Booked in April for 6 nights at the Grand Floridian - looked nice and we got a concierge room which has a lounge with breakfast, snacks, booze at night and such. Entire stay (excluding air fare) is something like $5,500 which included room, meal plan and park tix for family of 4. Pricey to be sure but its right next to the MK and I haven't gone anywherein years (deathly afraid of flying - see my other thread) so might as well splurge for the kids.Thanks for all the good info! Anyone stay at the grand floridian?
One thing to note about the GF. Their 5-Star restaurant just banned kids under 10 (don't remember the name of the place)

First trip with my son is now only 10 days away! :excited:

Meeting my parents, sister, niece, and BIL and staying at two Ft Wilderness cabins. 7 nights. 7 day park hopper with dining plan. Have reservations for LeCellier, Boma, Coral Reef, Liberty Tree, Chef Mickey's, 50's Prime Time Cafe, and Ohana.

Can't wait. Been looking at Disney stuff constantly. Even listening to park music right now. :bag:

Booked our trip for March. 6 nights.

3 1/2 year old and 2 year old

Staying in 3 bedroom condo offsite (free upgrade from 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom.....might see if the grandparents can come for a few days)

Booked 2 princess dining things (Akerhaus? and 1900 Park Fare?)

Also the bippidi bop thing (you can tell I have 2 daughters!)

The unoffical disney guide is a great read!

Any other pointers for going with little ones??

Booked our trip for March. 6 nights.3 1/2 year old and 2 year oldStaying in 3 bedroom condo offsite (free upgrade from 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom.....might see if the grandparents can come for a few days)Booked 2 princess dining things (Akerhaus? and 1900 Park Fare?)Also the bippidi bop thing (you can tell I have 2 daughters!)The unoffical disney guide is a great read!Any other pointers for going with little ones??
Double Stroller.

MIL is paying for my fmily and each of my wife's 3 siblings families to go to Orlando during April Vacation. Thankfully MIL mandated that we're not staying in the Park, which would make us all all feel obligated to go to a theme park every day, and they will be jammed this particular week with fellow M#######s. I'd say we'll do 3 days of Parks (dreading those days already) and hang at the pool, golf, do other things the rest of the time.

Anyone ever stay at the Lighthouse Key Resort? It's one of Mike Ditka's resorts, pretty new I think. My wife is in charge of finding a place and she is close to settling on this.

Booked our trip for March. 6 nights.

3 1/2 year old and 2 year old

Staying in 3 bedroom condo offsite (free upgrade from 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom.....might see if the grandparents can come for a few days)

Booked 2 princess dining things (Akerhaus? and 1900 Park Fare?)

Also the bippidi bop thing (you can tell I have 2 daughters!)

The unoffical disney guide is a great read!

Any other pointers for going with little ones??
Double Stroller.
:goodposting: We just got back from there Saturday night. The Bibbiti Bobbity was a lot of fun for our two, if you are buying dresses for them, make sure you call ahead & check for sizes, they didn't have the size we needed & our 4 year old only wanted one certain dress.

I'm not sure what the UOG says, but if I had one thing that I can't stress enough it's this: Get to that park early & be there when the rope drops. The ONE day I got my wife & girls rolling early, we had 1/2 our MK day done by 11:00am. By 5:00pm, we were debating on whether to stay for the Spectro parade or not because we'd ran out of things to do. When you get there, go straight for Dumbo & ride that first. While waiting, someone needs to sneak over to Peter Pan for Fast Passes. While waiting for that Fast Pass to come open, work your way around FantasyLand. Most of the rides EXCEPT for Peter Pan won't have long waits. After you ride Peter Pan, decide which FastPass ride you want next (you can only hold one at a time) & go get that FP, then work you're way around whatever area of the park you're in.

Also, since you have girls, right next to Dumbo is the queue line for the Ariel photo spot. My girls got autographs from each princess & she's the hardest to get to. The time sheet you'll get at the entrance says she opens at 10am, but if you check, she may be there early. We were the first ones to see her last Friday at 9:30am. We walked back by there about a half hour later & the wait was over 30 mins.

Quick Hits:

The Lilo & Stich ride is not for little kids, I found out the hard way

Catch at least one fireworks show

If you stay for a Spectro parade, get a seat at the entrance end of Main Street USA, that way you'll be ahead of the mob that leaves when it's over.

FastPasses are your friends, use them wisely.

EAT LUNCH BETWEEN 11AM & 11:30AM, you'll thank me for that one too. The closer to Noon you try to get in a food place, the longer it's going to take & it's doubtful you'll get a table.

If you think about it, let me know how Askerhus is. We chose Cinderellas Royal Table, but I'm hearing Askerhus is better, both for food & characters. We were disappointed with CRT this time.

Have a great trip!

dont miss the epcot parade

nota parade fan but that one was very impressive

i was just there last week for a conference and someone was complaining about going to hollywood studios to get the fast pass for something and the first avail fast pass was 1pm? they were salty

Going with my wife in May. Haven't read the whole thread....what sit down restaurants would you guys recommend we reserve?

We're planning on going summer 09. We went summer 06.

We're planning on staying 12 days/11 nights. With 5 kids under the age of 7, we move pretty slow.

Kids talk about it every day.

Can someone give me a cliff notes version of the meal plan?

We spent a week there in Mid Feb.

In short:

5 people: me, my wife, 6yo daughter, 2.5 yo son and 16 yo exchange student

We rented a 4 BR house for ~$2800 (included $300 rental car credit and some other smaller things). Before the trip I was leaning slightly to staying at Disney, but let my wife make the call, and renting the house was a HUGE positive. Everyone slept well, and the pool/hot tub was great.

Having the parks open 1 hour earlier and later for guests staying at a Disney property was one of the reasons I wanted to stay at a Disney property. In retrospect, we never would have stayed late or gone early. Maybe when the kids get older.

Suggestions: if you want a sit down lunch, make reservations either as soon as you arrive at the park or before. If you don't, you will be forced to eat late (1:30ish) or you will have to eat at one of the crappy, overpriced fast food places. We found most of the sit down restaurants were OK or better and not much more expensive than a fast food place (i.e. $95 for the 5 of us vs. $60 when we got caught without a lunch spot).

All in all, it was a good trip. It took the 2.5yo 4 days to learn to nap in his stroller. Once he did, however, everyone was happier.

DynOmite said:
Going with my wife in May. Haven't read the whole thread....what sit down restaurants would you guys recommend we reserve?
OhanaThen, Ohana.Ohana.And follow it up with a nice meal at, Ohana.

porkins said:
The basic meal plan is one snack, one counter service (fast food type), and one full dining service (sit down meal) per person, per NIGHT of your stay. Each member of your family gets a card & when they use it, they either charge the item(s) to the room or deduct it from the meal plan. Each family member has access to the whole family's meal plan, they are not locked into one snack/counter/meal per day. To maybe explain better, in January, we didn't eat many snacks & we had 12 snack credits left at the end of the week, so my wife bought 12 candy type treats & put them in the suitcase.It sounds like you'll have 7 in your party, right? So if that's the case, each will have 1 full service meal per night (11, right?), which if my math is correct, would be 77 credits ( Holy Crap :shrug: ) On day one, if all 7 of you go to a full service restaurant, you'll give them one Key to the Kingdom card from the party & they will deduct 7 credits (each member does not have to give up their card).You can add more full service meals to the plan, but imo, it isn't necessary & costs more $$$. FYI: Tips are no longer included in the meal plan, so at a full service, you either tip cash or to a credit card. I carried extra cash for tips so that it wouldn't confuse the process.Hope that helps, it's much easier to understand once you're there & using it.ETA: Some of the nicer full service restaurants count for 2 credits on the meal plan, so when you start making reservations, make sure you note that.

DynOmite said:
OhanaThen, Ohana.

Ohana.

And follow it up with a nice meal at, Ohana.
Ohana and Coral Reef (blackened catfish) were our favorites when we were there last month.Table service options at the Magic Kingdom are pretty limited. Liberty Tree at lunch (dinner is character buffet) is by far the best. Good pot roast.

At MGM Hollywood Studios, 50's Prime Time Cafe is fun. Huge portions of "home-cooking" type food.

Le Cellier (Canada at Epcot) is good if your in the mood for steak. Small place so reservations can be tough.

Artist's Point at the Wilderness Lodge is more expensive but really good.

porkins said:
We're planning on going summer 09. We went summer 06.We're planning on staying 12 days/11 nights. With 5 kids under the age of 7, we move pretty slow.Kids talk about it every day.Can someone give me a cliff notes version of the meal plan?
I thought I was crazy for going in summer 09 with four kids aged 7-14. My wife needs to start doing research on this since it is something she really wants to do, once we're out of debt.

porkins said:
The basic meal plan is one snack, one counter service (fast food type), and one full dining service (sit down meal) per person, per NIGHT of your stay. Each member of your family gets a card & when they use it, they either charge the item(s) to the room or deduct it from the meal plan. Each family member has access to the whole family's meal plan, they are not locked into one snack/counter/meal per day. To maybe explain better, in January, we didn't eat many snacks & we had 12 snack credits left at the end of the week, so my wife bought 12 candy type treats & put them in the suitcase.It sounds like you'll have 7 in your party, right? So if that's the case, each will have 1 full service meal per night (11, right?), which if my math is correct, would be 77 credits ( Holy Crap :goodposting: ) On day one, if all 7 of you go to a full service restaurant, you'll give them one Key to the Kingdom card from the party & they will deduct 7 credits (each member does not have to give up their card).

You can add more full service meals to the plan, but imo, it isn't necessary & costs more $$$. FYI: Tips are no longer included in the meal plan, so at a full service, you either tip cash or to a credit card. I carried extra cash for tips so that it wouldn't confuse the process.

Hope that helps, it's much easier to understand once you're there & using it.

ETA: Some of the nicer full service restaurants count for 2 credits on the meal plan, so when you start making reservations, make sure you note that.
The easiest way to do tips (and alcohol) is to charge it to the room using that same "Key to the Kingdom" card. With a party of 7, an 18% tip will be automatically charged.Another good thing to know is that adult and child table service credits are tracked seperately, but counter service credits are combined. That means kids don't have to eat off the kid menus at the counter service places if they don't want to.

DynOmite said:
I agree 100%. It's by far our favorite place.... but I'm wondering since it's just the OP and his wife if they'd prefer something a littler quieter.

DynOmite said:
Yankee, Catching up on your earlier posts I noticed you said Ohana was great and then could check out the fireworks from the beach...what time should I make reservations so I'm done by fireworks time?You also mentioned liking the Italian showcase restaurant. How does it stack up versus good italian places you've eaten in NYC (I think you're from the NY/NJ area)?One more, I also read that you hated Port Orleans Riverside resort....that's where we're staying, what did you dislike?

:mellow:

We are planing a DisneyWorld trip for Christmas. Me, my wife, my mom, my stepdad, my then 4 year old, and my 2 month old. (The wheels were turning before kid two was conceived.)

Got the DVD and pumped, still have to decide on where to stay, etc. My parents are footing the bill in lieu of doing any Christmas at all, so bonus for me.

:yes:We are planing a DisneyWorld trip for Christmas. Me, my wife, my mom, my stepdad, my then 4 year old, and my 2 month old. (The wheels were turning before kid two was conceived.)Got the DVD and pumped, still have to decide on where to stay, etc. My parents are footing the bill in lieu of doing any Christmas at all, so bonus for me.
So exactly what do you remember when you were 4? How about 2 months? Think back to your earliest detailed memories and then plan you trip for your kids at that time. Seriously people...at toddler ager you might as well give your kids some crayons and Dumbo ice cream and they'll be just as happy in the moment and have the same recollection down the road.That said, if you have money to piss away go for it and make yourself proud.

:wall:We are planing a DisneyWorld trip for Christmas. Me, my wife, my mom, my stepdad, my then 4 year old, and my 2 month old. (The wheels were turning before kid two was conceived.)Got the DVD and pumped, still have to decide on where to stay, etc. My parents are footing the bill in lieu of doing any Christmas at all, so bonus for me.
So exactly what do you remember when you were 4? How about 2 months? Think back to your earliest detailed memories and then plan you trip for your kids at that time. Seriously people...at toddler ager you might as well give your kids some crayons and Dumbo ice cream and they'll be just as happy in the moment and have the same recollection down the road.That said, if you have money to piss away go for it and make yourself proud.
Went last summer with my 2 1/2 year old nephew(Mikey) and 6 year old nephew(Jason), and they loved it. Two weeks after we got back, we went and saw Ratatioulle. When the castle came on the screen for start of the Disney Logo, the young one stands up, points to the screen and starts saying "Disneyworld"You may not have memories of how you were at that age, but the memories made will last with them for a while, and will definitely last longer than a pack of crayons. Combined that with MY memories of how much fun they had (and they are just my nephews, not my kids), and I think it is well worth it.As to Dynomite, easily the best meal, food-wise, we had was at Jiko, the African restaurant at the Animal Lodge. The best atmosphere was the Sci-Fi Diner in MGM.

:confused:We are planing a DisneyWorld trip for Christmas. Me, my wife, my mom, my stepdad, my then 4 year old, and my 2 month old. (The wheels were turning before kid two was conceived.)Got the DVD and pumped, still have to decide on where to stay, etc. My parents are footing the bill in lieu of doing any Christmas at all, so bonus for me.
It's more for my mom. This is more than likely going to be her last Christmas. We want it to be special.

DynOmite said:
Yankee, Catching up on your earlier posts I noticed you said Ohana was great and then could check out the fireworks from the beach...what time should I make reservations so I'm done by fireworks time?You also mentioned liking the Italian showcase restaurant. How does it stack up versus good italian places you've eaten in NYC (I think you're from the NY/NJ area)?One more, I also read that you hated Port Orleans Riverside resort....that's where we're staying, what did you dislike?
1. Wishes starts when it gets dark and is after the Spectromagic Parade. At the moment my brain isn't working but if your meal is starting at the 7pm range you should be ok.2. The Italy pavilion was outstanding and some of the bst food I've ever eaten. Problem is, they left. There is a new restaurant there now. The menu is different. The food is still pretty good but the old place was light years better.3. The bus system for Port Orleans is rather annoying. When we stayed there the bus ran through both Port Oleans hotel grounds so a 10 minute bus trip took 30. They might have changed that by now but I don't remember seeing it. Also, the food court just wasn't that good. In fact, the food at Pop Century was better and cheaper. It's not that the place was bad - nothing there really is. It's just that compared to the other resorts on the grounds, it left some things to be desired.

:blackdot:We are planing a DisneyWorld trip for Christmas. Me, my wife, my mom, my stepdad, my then 4 year old, and my 2 month old. (The wheels were turning before kid two was conceived.)Got the DVD and pumped, still have to decide on where to stay, etc. My parents are footing the bill in lieu of doing any Christmas at all, so bonus for me.
My son is 4, has been there at least 5 times and could be a tour guide for the parks and the hotels we've stayed in. He remembers everything. He still remembers the table we sat at in Peter Pan's food court where you get to see Small World through the window.Every kid is different, as is every family. We love the place.

:blackdot:We are planing a DisneyWorld trip for Christmas. Me, my wife, my mom, my stepdad, my then 4 year old, and my 2 month old. (The wheels were turning before kid two was conceived.)Got the DVD and pumped, still have to decide on where to stay, etc. My parents are footing the bill in lieu of doing any Christmas at all, so bonus for me.
4 year old is an awesome age for WDW. Especially now with Mickey & the gang and Pooh & the gang making a strong comeback on Playhouse Disney.... on shows geared for the preschoolers. They are easily recognizable characters that the kids are thrilled to see and interact with. Who cares if they remember it when they are 18? As long as they enjoyed themselves at the time. Sure they can't do any of the thrill rides, but if you are going to Disney for the thrill rides, then you are doing it wrong.I'll agree that the 2 month old will get absolutely nothing out of it, but you can't make the 4 year old wait until the baby is old enough. Go again when the baby is 3 or 4. The older kid will be 8 (still at child prices) and have a whole different experience than he did when he was 4. That's the beauty of Disney, they offer something for every age. imo, the best approach is just to go more often for less time. Financially, it'll work out the same in the long run but it's easier to handle over time rather than all at once. Don't kill your family by doing everything possible while spending an ungodly amount of money or waiting until they are the exact perfect age then never going back because it was exhausting or cost too much.

:blackdot:

We are planing a DisneyWorld trip for Christmas. Me, my wife, my mom, my stepdad, my then 4 year old, and my 2 month old. (The wheels were turning before kid two was conceived.)

Got the DVD and pumped, still have to decide on where to stay, etc. My parents are footing the bill in lieu of doing any Christmas at all, so bonus for me.
4 year old is an awesome age for WDW. Especially now with Mickey & the gang and Pooh & the gang making a strong comeback on Playhouse Disney.... on shows geared for the preschoolers. They are easily recognizable characters that the kids are thrilled to see and interact with. Who cares if they remember it when they are 18? As long as they enjoyed themselves at the time. Sure they can't do any of the thrill rides, but if you are going to Disney for the thrill rides, then you are doing it wrong.I'll agree that the 2 month old will get absolutely nothing out of it, but you can't make the 4 year old wait until the baby is old enough. Go again when the baby is 3 or 4. The older kid will be 8 (still at child prices) and have a whole different experience than he did when he was 4. That's the beauty of Disney, they offer something for every age.

imo, the best approach is just to go more often for less time. Financially, it'll work out the same in the long run but it's easier to handle over time rather than all at once. Don't kill your family by doing everything possible while spending an ungodly amount of money or waiting until they are the exact perfect age then never going back because it was exhausting or cost too much.
This is great advice if your plans accomodate it. We know we are going back every year, sometimes twice a year, so we have never forced ourselves to get "everything" in. We've gone for a week and never made it to Disney Studios for example. If you try to crush everything the place has to offer for a fmialy into 7 days you will end up maing it feel more like work and less like vacation.Obviously, that isn't a choice some have, but if you can it's the best way to do it.

Well I see I struck a nerve with a couple of people and a couple of people were honest enough to admit who the trip was really for. Heck, if you can afford it and have the time....take your kids every year or two. My thoughts were more geared to non-FBGs aka people who have a budget. Personally I think you get the most bang for your buck with activities geared towards your kids when they are older than toddlers and younger than teenagers.

Users who are viewing this thread