What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LT's Career Length Outlook (1 Viewer)

da5exx

Footballguy
At halftime, Shannon Sharpe (can't really stand him as a commentator) brought up a good question today - Is Schottenheimer shortening LT's career length by leaning on him too much? He's got over 300 rushes in all 5 seasons of his career. How much is too much? LT has been a little beat up here towards the end of the season. Should he have played in a meaningless game? Should he have at least sat down after achieving his team records? He's an exciting player that I hope to see for years to come. And even though I admittedly do not like Schottenheimer, I also have to point out that many criticized Marty for not getting the ball to LT enough earlier in the season. So which is it? :football:

He shouldn't have played today. He's playing hurt in a game that means nothing. I really don't know what Marty was thinking.

Should he have at least sat down after achieving his team records? He's an exciting player that I hope to see for years to come. And even though I admittedly do not like Schottenheimer, I also have to point out that many criticized Marty for not getting the ball to LT enough earlier in the season. So which is it?
Yeah it's strange that LT had less carries against KC in a game they had to win than he had today by I think the 3rd quarter in a meaningless game. And this when there's speculation that he's been playing with broken ribs.

Well, for comparsion sake, he did have a better year than last year, but not by much. As far as mileage goes, he should have another 2-3 years left in him to keep up with the production he does now when compared to some other previous high mileage players like Eddie George or Emmitt Smith.Shaun Alexander just about has the same amount of mileage right now as LT does. Edge is a little further ahead right now. He has about one solid season left in him right now (I use 2500 carries as my benchmark, I should go lower though, maybe 2200). If I were Edge, I would look for a big money contract this coming offseason. Marshall Faulk burned out around the 2400 carrymark, but this is a guy who caught a lot of balls receiving.When looking at these guys, you need to look at true studs in this case. Guys who have had a professional career that kept growing as the years go by. Ahman Green is one guy that comes to mind. He should be producing still, but there's a lot of hiccups during his career. There has been a quite few odd cases lately in RBs. Priest Holmes (career bloomed after wrong side of 30), Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis (I think jail time screwed this guy).

He is a star NFL runningback. 300+ touches are what NFL star runningbacks get. He gets the touches because he does great things when he gets the ball. They are a worse team when he doesnt get the ball. So, keep giving him the ball. Injuries are a part of the game, and are unpredictable. He can get hurt if he gets 100 carries a season.

(I use 2500 carries as my benchmark, I should go lower though, maybe 2200). If I were Edge, I would look for a big money contract this coming offseason.

Marshall Faulk burned out around the 2400 carrymark, but this is a guy who caught a lot of balls receiving.

When looking at these guys, you need to look at true studs in this case. Guys who have had a professional career that kept growing as the years go by. Ahman Green is one guy that comes to mind. He should be producing still, but there's a lot of hiccups during his career. There has been a quite few odd cases lately in RBs. Priest Holmes (career bloomed after wrong side of 30), Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis (I think jail time screwed this guy).
One other thing to consider with the number of carries/catches is also the running style. Eddie George saw a lot of work and fell fast because of his running style. Some say that Barry Sanders could still be playing at a competitive level, even right now. Mainly because of the way he ran...kept lower to the ground, juked you bad, and always tried to avoid "the big hit". LT's idol growing up was Barry Sanders, stands to reason that he might try to run a little like him too.Some peoples bodies heal differently than others, so only time will tell. LT may have suffered an injury that will never completely heal right for him...GOD FORBID. I love watching the guy play. It would be nice though if they could focus on that O-line and get a decent to good one producing in the next year. Seems to me that is the only piece of the puzzle that needs to be found.

It appears that LT is starting to break down a bit. I would not be suprised at all to see him have nagging injuries from here on in.

He's averaged about 21 carries per game for his career, which is right in line with most stud RBs. He is the Chargers best player. The Chargers are a playoff/super bowl caliber team and they need LT to touch the ball in order to have success. I can't see why anyone involved with the Chargers would like to see him get less carries just to extend his career a year or 2.

It appears that LT is starting to break down a bit. I would not be suprised at all to see him have nagging injuries from here on in.
Agreed.2001- 339 carries (398 touches)

2002- 372 carries (451 touches)

2003- 313 carries (413 touches)

2004- 339 carries (392 touches)

2005- 339 carries (390 touches)

During his 5-year career LT has compiled 2044 touches, which equates to 408 touches per season. That's a lot of wear and tear in a short period of time.

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how this effects his draft value going forward in FF in 06
Well even with all this mileage, he still put up over 1800 total yards and 23 TDs (3 passing). He doesn't fall out of the top 3 in any draft next summer.

Users who are viewing this thread