What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Real Estate Forum *** (1 Viewer)

Hi Jeff,

Instead of copying and pasting my original post, I though I'd link to it:

Original FBG Post

Or, if you'd prefer, I can go over all the details right here.

So far, I'm getting mostly negative feedback, albeit from few replies, but very good ones.

Should I get my deposit back and look for other RE investment opportunities?

Thanks in advance.
For the benefit of this thread....Real estate is highly local.

Find another property manager in the Norman area and ask what typical rents for apts/ THs that size are in the area.

Google area newspapers to check rents as well.

Call the college and ask what room costs typically run, and what drives the higher rents (close to campus, facilities, etc.). Also ask what is included - utilities can cost dearly.

Sounds like you're basing EVERYTHING on $1800 a month, and that costs will be $1500 a month. It also sounds like that's too high to expect based on this thread.

Do your homework NOW, ASAP. If the $1800 is BS, bail.

Don't get caught holding a bad property. You have a chance to get out so use this time and do your Due Diligence fast.
Thanks for the reply.Great advice :thumbup: . I'll get on this ASAP.

I went ahead and "Craigslisted" a bit and found that rent in the Norman area averaged just under $1000.

I think the builder's selling point was that these are brand new townhomes and these types of properties are new in the area (i.e. townhomes practically within a shopping center...)

Another point made by the builder was "if we didn't think that we'd be able to sell these properties, would we be developing them?"

I've read that the city of Oklahoma has been doing quite a bit of developing lately, especially in the downtown area.

After much thinking, we are already leaning toward getting our deposit back and moving on to other opportunities.

Thanks again for your input.
Anytime - that's why this thread exists.

Question:

There's one place that I keep being drawn to, the property is ~68k 2br/1ba 768sq feet but a few concerns:

1. Long term tenant (family) is living there ($450 a month pay out in rent), I don't think Texas is like NY where it's tough to remove tenants but I do feel a bit uncomfortable.

2. Stop and Go like store across the street and down the street there's a drug dealer. Interesting the second time I drove by he even smiled at me. Tough to get rid of dealers?

3. Good thing is two doors down, total rehab is going on and house looks nice, one door down from that house is a newly build house is for lease, 1300 for 3br, 2bth.

4. The house that shares a two car garage with above house is also for sale. It's vacant, 960 sq feet, 3br/1.5bath asking 90k. Both property = 158k

Thoughts?
1. Just write the offer so that you take possession of an EMPTY house. Don't let it be your problem, let the current owner deal with it if you want them gone. You can WRITE ANYTHING into your offer. I can't tell you how many times I asked for just silly things so I could give them up down the road and not give up anything I actually wanted. Just like FF, ask for an extra WR just so you can drop that off the offer, and make it seem like you are compromising.2. Drug dealers are like roaches. You have to FIGHT, and be prepared to FIGHT to rid the area of them. Given that you don't even want to remove a paying family, I believe you should pass at this time. This is a battle. I have been successful, but it can take a year plus.

one more question if you don't mind:

What's the easiest way to compute if it's worth purchasing a particular property IF you were going to rent it out? So, a house for 68k on the market should at least generate x amout to break even; x amount to generate y profit...

Edit: I can use a mortgage calculator, just looking for a "quick and dirty" method...thanks!

Edit2: 68k must get at least 680 a month to be "worth" buying?
For me, I need $600 in rent on a $40K place minimum. $800 on a $60K place, and so on. Now, I can to this by running hundreds of properties, taking into account taxes and insurance, and doing it the "hard" way time and time again. After doing it a hundred times, that ratio came alive for the areas I buy. I am sure it wouldn't work in my own city if I started looking at area with higher taxes.What I absolutely look for is to be able to have one unit open, and still break even. I can find that in my market, many can not in their market. I have never failed looking at it that way.

Gutting a house and "starting over" is AT LEAST $50 a square foot, assuming a full gut job.
I did mine for $0.30 per sq ft including new HVAC. Of course I found a note from the inspector saying have your electrician call me and spent all day today reassembling the cabinet drawers which were backwards. :bag: This could get interesting. Should I have asked for green cards?
There's no way you did a complete rehab for $.30 a square foot.HVAC costs $3-5K - even if you got it for $2K - for a 4,000 sq.ft. house - both are BIG REACHES - that would be $.50 a sq. ft.

The rule of thumb for most builders is AT LEAST $100 / sq. ft. - but that includes the land.

Back out the land and you are $50-75 a sq. ft.

I'm doing a high end rehab in Baltimore and am spending about $90 / sq. ft.
Want pics???
I'd settle for a SOW and your definition of a "complete rehab".How big is the property?

4,000 sq. ft. would be $1200. I call MAJOR :bs:
#### Jeff...didn't see my typo with that decimal. $30 / sf
My cheapest rehab was $3.60 a sq foot. Understand that I do the work myself, and that it took FOREVER!!! It was a $5,400 rehab on a 1,500 sqft duplex. It was a real piece of work, and purchased for $8,600. Currently makes $850 a month where I pay water.Electric baseboard heaters where you have the skill to put them in yourself. HUGE! ;) Carpet was far and away my biggest expense. I had to replumb the entire house starting at about a foot coming into the house.

But I do the work myself, and I get materials cheaper than most.

Update:

Yesterday, I scoured in a little bit better neighborhood (closer to downtown/UT) and found a nice little place on a street where three houses were just put up (complete tear down and new house) or almost finished.

This house I found is a bit more though, $90k but includes complete DEMOLITION from the seller. There's no AC and a complete dump. The lot size is 42 X 129.

Interesting, while zillow.com usually shows properties undervalued, I did a quick search and the property was valued at 110k.

Thinking about buying the place, having the seller demolish it then build a two story on it and sell it.

My biggest problem is finding out what that property is really worth? Don't want to overpay.
I know I am responding to the wrong post, but about the stop and Go. It can be an advantage and a disadvantage.What you need to do is go over to the property at night, and see what is going on. Is there a pile of bums and street urchins hanging out ever night? What about teenage kids, or hoodlums?

Go over on a Friday and Saturday night, spend some time off to the side, and watch the place. You want to just see regular business, and NO ONE hanging out.

A convenience store across the street could actually be selling point if that is ALL IT IS.

Any kind of other activity at all, and I would pass. Between that and the Drug dealer a few houses down, I believe you are in for more of a battle than you are ready to take on.

Granted, if you are just flipping, only show the place during the day. I don't think I would be able to feel right about doing that, but that is how I would play if it I had to.

Hi Jeff,

Original FBG Post

So far, I'm getting mostly negative feedback, albeit from few replies, but very good ones.

Thanks in advance.
Just me, but I would be terrified to buy in a city some 5 states away into a market so dis-similar (Silicon Valley) from your own, where you might think that you are getting a HUGE value.You are trusting a company who's goal it is to make money to detail a market that you have no working knowledge of. If Bass or Jeff were telling me about it, I'd trust the figures, short of that, No ####### way.

Then, do you really want to vacation to scenic OK a few times a year to check on things? Why not look in AZ or somewhere you would like to visit, and can get to easier?

Across the street from me, I had a College professor move here from SoCal. He sold a 3 bedroom ranch for like a Million out there. Here he bought a 3 story, 4K sqft house, 5 bedroom, 4 bath, fireman's pole, elevator, 12 foot tall stone basement, 5 working gas fireplaces, the works for $180K (Honestly? He overpaid by $20K). His wife didn't work again, they hired a live in Nanny, and lived like the Howells on Gilligan's Island. The cost of living here is ridiculously low. We have one of the BEST cost of living in the US as listed each year when the report comes out. Gas was at $2.56 today at the stations. How about your area?

Now, had he been an investor, and we get our share of investors from the West Cost, they see a place for a Quarter million that would cost 3.3 Million out West and they JUMP!!! The problem is that the place was worth 150K, they over paid by $100K, and lose money every month because the rents match the market, not the West Coast. We have a Realtor here who specializes in nailing big fish from CA with too much money, and no knowledge of the market. The CA investor bails after awhile, and the Realtor gets another commission selling to the next unsuspecting CA investor. I have lost what would have been great deals for me when an investor from the West coast comes in and overpays by $20-100K. Makes the property DEAD to the local market for a few years until one of the CA investors goes under, and the price corrects.

So where I am going here is that without someone I trusted completely, there is no way I buy that far out of Market, in terms of both distance and financial reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
LIFTING THIS OUT OF THE OTHER THREAD:

We just bought a townhome in the city of Norman, ....
No need to read any further. :yucky:
Please explain.TIA
Seems to me that your overpriced in your market. Coming from CA you have a skewed sense of real estate in the middle south. I've seen many "investors" pay large sums of money to buy lofts that I participated in designing. I personally don't think the market is always going to be there. To me that's why the investors are finding buyers in CA for homes in Norman. In a college town, I think smaller older homes that can be rented to college students for around $800 are the ticket.
And this is what scares the bejesus out of me. The Fly over states are nothing like the Left Coast. Someone in Los Angeles can't begin to understand my Market. They massively overpay, and then get shocked that the most I can get for a SFH in the area where I operate is about $675.00

Sure, there are places where the rent on a SFH is $1,800.00 but you have to spend $250K to get in, and there is no way the economics work. You could even do $1,200 in rent on a $180K place, still doesn't work.

Me? I am spending $35-40K on a SFH, and pulling down $650.00 a month. It works. My best Duplex cost me $31.5K and cleared an HONEST $571.70 a month Taking Vacancy, Utilities, repairs, upgrades, Down time, EVERYTHING into account, I made $6,860.34 in Profit on it for 2005. And that is on a 30 year fixed note.

I could most likely sell this place to someone from CA for $120K and they would believe they got a great deal. They would lose $2K a year to operate it, but they would be happy as a clam to own it at first.

It's all about knowing your market. Norman OK isn't your market, and that scares me.

Gutting a house and "starting over" is AT LEAST $50 a square foot, assuming a full gut job.
I did mine for $0.30 per sq ft including new HVAC. Of course I found a note from the inspector saying have your electrician call me and spent all day today reassembling the cabinet drawers which were backwards. :bag: This could get interesting. Should I have asked for green cards?
There's no way you did a complete rehab for $.30 a square foot.HVAC costs $3-5K - even if you got it for $2K - for a 4,000 sq.ft. house - both are BIG REACHES - that would be $.50 a sq. ft.

The rule of thumb for most builders is AT LEAST $100 / sq. ft. - but that includes the land.

Back out the land and you are $50-75 a sq. ft.

I'm doing a high end rehab in Baltimore and am spending about $90 / sq. ft.
Want pics???
I'd settle for a SOW and your definition of a "complete rehab".How big is the property?

4,000 sq. ft. would be $1200. I call MAJOR :bs:
#### Jeff...didn't see my typo with that decimal. $30 / sf
:lmao: about time.Still a good price. Did you rip it down to the rafters?
Yup. 950 sf and 2 dumpsters hualed out. Looks like that price will increase as the electrician cut some corners the inspector didn't like.

Hi Jeff,

Original FBG Post

Thanks in advance.
Just me, but I would be terrified to buy in a city some 5 states away into a market so dis-similar (Silicon Valley) from your own, where you might think that you are getting a HUGE value.You are trusting a company who's goal it is to make money to detail a market that you have no working knowledge of. If Bass or Jeff were telling me about it, I'd trust the figures, short of that, No ####### way.

Then, do you really want to vacation to scenic OK a few times a year to check on things? Why not look in AZ or somewhere you would like to visit, and can get to easier?

Across the street from me, I had a College professor move here from SoCal. He sold a 3 bedroom ranch for like a Million out there. Here he bought a 3 story, 4K sqft house, 5 bedroom, 4 bath, fireman's pole, elevator, 12 foot tall stone basement, 5 working gas fireplaces, the works for $180K (Honestly? He overpaid by $20K). His wife didn't work again, they hired a live in Nanny, and lived like the Howells on Gilligan's Island. The cost of living here is ridiculously low. We have one of the BEST cost of living in the US as listed each year when the report comes out. Gas was at $2.56 today at the stations. How about your area?

Now, had he been an investor, and we get our share of investors from the West Cost, they see a place for a Quarter million that would cost 3.3 Million out West and they JUMP!!! The problem is that the place was worth 150K, they over paid by $100K, and lose money every month because the rents match the market, not the West Coast. We have a Realtor here who specializes in nailing big fish from CA with too much money, and no knowledge of the market. The CA investor bails after awhile, and the Realtor gets another commission selling to the next unsuspecting CA investor. I have lost what would have been great deals for me when an investor from the West coast comes in and overpays by $20-100K. Makes the property DEAD to the local market for a few years until one of the CA investors goes under, and the price corrects.

So where I am going here is that without someone I trusted completely, there is no way I buy that far out of Market, in terms of both distance and financial reality.
Here is an exact example of what I am referring to:223 W DeWald St

I will take services from any Realtor in the Market that brings me a deal. So I went to look at this "Fourplex". Once you are actually inside it, you quickly understand that it is only a 3 plex, with a common boiler system and electric.

It's 2 Blocks north of a very nice area, across from a HUGE catholic church, and is quickly becoming an all Mexican area. Not that there is anything wrong with that, except those pesky "Stacking" laws. If you aren't familiar, Goggle Real Estate Renting Stacking.

The Mexicans are piled sky high in this triplex, was about 15 of them when I viewed the property. Honestly, they were illegally renting it, but dear god does this place make a fortune. It has a 4 bay garage out back that is rented out as well, makes tons of money.

It's priced at 27,900 for the Local investors, however this RE Agent confided to me that it was priced at $120K to his out of state investors.

It happens in every fly over state every day.

Hi Jeff,

Original FBG Post

Thanks in advance.

I will take services from any Realtor in the Market that brings me a deal. So I went to look at this "Fourplex". Once you are actually inside it, you quickly understand that it is only a 3 plex, with a common boiler system and electric.

It's 2 Blocks north of a very nice area, across from a HUGE catholic church, and is quickly becoming an all Mexican area. Not that there is anything wrong with that, except those pesky "Stacking" laws. If you aren't familiar, Goggle Real Estate Renting Stacking.

The Mexicans are piled sky high in this triplex, was about 15 of them when I viewed the property. Honestly, they were illegally renting it, but dear god does this place make a fortune. It has a 4 bay garage out back that is rented out as well, makes tons of money.

It's priced at 27,900 for the Local investors, however this RE Agent confided to me that it was priced at $120K to his out of state investors.

:eek: Boy am I sure glad I check this thread...

By the way, we will be withdrawing our deposit for that Norman, OK property you provided input for.

Hi Jeff,

Original FBG Post

Thanks in advance.

:eek: Boy am I sure glad I check this thread...

By the way, we will be withdrawing our deposit for that Norman, OK property you provided input for.
GC,Just for the record, I am not saying it is a bad deal, it's in Norman OK, how the heck would I even know?????

I wouldn't. However, without someone that I absolutely trust, there is zero way I could make a move like that.

I can't risk $100K or $300K on the word of some company that tells me I am going to make $300.00 a month.

Outrageous! My Family is worth more to me losing at best $100K dumping the place, or going bankrupt as a worse case.

Let me state again that average citizen Mike Anderson/Drugrunner (NOT an endorsement from FBG employee Mike Anderson) would park that money with someone like Bass who I know will operate in my best interest to make money. I would completely expect that someone like Bass (Who manages rental properties for a living) would know his market, and do right by me, or tell me that he can't help me.

Some company out to make as much money as they could who gives me "figures" on something I can't confirm, in an area I wouldn't ever be at in my life?

TERRIFYING!!! :eek:

Just today, I got a PM asking about RE in Nebraska.

One of the big differences is that the FBG asking lived in the area in Nebraska.

My advice to him was to work the price down, and really hit a HOME RUN!!!

I gave him numbers where it was a slam dunk, and where it was a dog.

It was easy to tell him where he made a silly amount of money, and the deal was a slam dunk, compared to where it was a dog.

The difference was it was his home market as he was able to provide "givens" (Remember High School geometry) of things he "Knew" about the market. It was easy for me to work from there, as he "knew" certain realities/constants.

I don't know Norman OK, and neither does GC.

There is no way anyone here outside of an active investor working in the Norman OK market could give GC solid advice.

Maybe it's a heck of a deal? I don't know the buy in, but anything over even $80K (Being Generous) purchase price to make $300 a month is a Dog in the Fly over states outside of a Hot market.

People on the coasts don't understand. Certainly the Left Coast.

Sorry to ramble, but it's a solid point.

Maybe my comments are persuading GC to throw away the opportunity of a Lifetime. I doubt it since he could make twice the profit a month in my market, but who knows?

One of the big differences is that the FBG asking lived in the area in Nebraska.

It was easy to tell him where he made a silly amount of money, and the deal was a slam dunk, compared to where it was a dog.

The difference was it was his home market as he was able to provide "givens" (Remember High School geometry) of things he "Knew" about the market. It was easy for me to work from there, as he "knew" certain realities/constants.

There is no way anyone here outside of an active investor working in the Norman OK market could give GC solid advice.

Maybe it's a heck of a deal? I don't know the buy in, but anything over even $80K purchase price to make $300 a month is a Dog in the Fly over states outside of a Hot market.

Maybe my comments are persuading GC to throw away the opportunity of a Lifetime. I doubt it since he could make twice the profit a month in my market, but who knows?
I agree with everything you've said thus far.For all I know, I MIGHT BE throwing away a huge opportunity...

But I'm willing to admit that I don't know nearly as much as I should about RE investing. You've made some damn solid points and I will take them to heart.

How would you recommend a person like myself get educated. I'ved lived all my life in the Bay Area and, as you can tell, I'm not very savy in the RE market.

The difference was it was his home market as he was able to provide "givens" (Remember High School geometry) of things he "Knew" about the market.  It was easy for me to work from there, as he "knew" certain realities/constants.

Maybe it's a heck of a deal?  I don't know the buy in, but anything over even $80K purchase price to make $300 a month is a Dog in the Fly over states outside of a Hot market.

People on the coasts don't understand.  Certainly the Left Coast.

Maybe my comments are persuading GC to throw away the opportunity of a Lifetime.  I doubt it since he could make twice the profit a month in my market, but who knows?
I agree with everything you've said thus far.For all I know, I MIGHT BE throwing away a huge opportunity...

But I'm willing to admit that I don't know nearly as much as I should about RE investing. You've made some damn solid points and I will take them to heart.

How would you recommend a person like myself get educated. I've lived all my life in the Bay Area and, as you can tell, I'm not very savvy in the RE market.
Honestly?MrLandLord.com --- CLICK THE FIRST 'KEY" labeled "Q&A"

I learned more about Renting (And some of the finances) there in a week than I did in 10 years of actually being a RE Investor/LandLord.

(Once again, not and endorsement from a FBG Employee)

Outside of that, I have learned a TON in this very thread from Jeff, Bass, and ProNinja. Whatever it takes, encourage ProNinja to post, he has fallen off some of late, that guy is a wealth of Knowledge on the Money side of the business.

Someone send the guy a PM, and get him back in here.

Jeff can easily post some "Money/Investor" type of Message boards for you. For me, Asking anything and everything on MrLandLord.com is my current sounding board of advisers. I can't recommend it enough. You don't even need to register, just start posting. Infact, I would encourage GC to do a cut and paste of his post to that board, and see what they say???? That is a Very active board of Real Estate investors from the LL mentality, and the board moves along at a good pace, with posters on at all times. It is not a board with a few posts a day, more like MANY posts an hour.

They are not as strong on the Finance side Maybe because there are many more questions about the nuts and bolts of being a LL, and not as many about the $ side, but the $ questions still always get a solid amount of answers), where Jeff and ProNinja are aces.

Anyway, GC, I strongly encourage you to do a Cut and Paste of your question here to that board, and see what the results are.

The difference was it was his home market as he was able to provide "givens" (Remember High School geometry) of things he "Knew" about the market.  It was easy for me to work from there, as he "knew" certain realities/constants.

Maybe it's a heck of a deal?  I don't know the buy in, but anything over even $80K purchase price to make $300 a month is a Dog in the Fly over states outside of a Hot market.

Maybe my comments are persuading GC to throw away the opportunity of a Lifetime.  I doubt it since he could make twice the profit a month in my market, but who knows?

How would you recommend a person like myself get educated. I've lived all my life in the Bay Area and, as you can tell, I'm not very savvy in the RE market.

I learned more about Renting (And some of the finances) there in a week than I did in 10 years of actually being a RE Investor/LandLord.

Outside of that, I have learned a TON in this very thread from Jeff, Bass, and ProNinja. Whatever it takes, encourage ProNinja to post, he has fallen off some of late, that guy is a wealth of Knowledge on the Money side of the business.

Jeff can easily post some "Money/Investor" type of Message boards for you. For me, Asking anything and everything on MrLandLord.com is my current sounding board of advisers. I can't recommend it enough. You don't even need to register, just start posting. Infact, I would encourage GC to do a cut and paste of his post to that board, and see what they say???? That is a Very active board of Real Estate investors from the LL mentality, and the board moves along at a good pace, with posters on at all times. It is not a board with a few posts a day, more like MANY posts an hour.

They are not as strong on the Finance side Maybe because there are many more questions about the nuts and bolts of being a LL, and not as many about the $ side, but the $ questions still always get a solid amount of answers), where Jeff and ProNinja are aces.

Anyway, GC, I strongly encourage you to do a Cut and Paste of your question here to that board, and see what the results are.
:thumbup:

GC, hopefully you will post over there. I do constantly. It's a real nuts and bolts. Any board that can tell me how to strip down a Refrigerator and make it work again is a good board for me.In every way, if it is a LL question, including the $ side, they will have multiple answers.

Do a cut and paste, and see what they have to say. It might be a totally different answer.

But Honestly, when it comes to the $ side, I want an opinion from ProNinja just as much as i want an answer there. He is sharp as a tack, and right here in this thread.

GC, hopefully you will post over there. I do constantly. It's a real nuts and bolts. Any board that can tell me how to strip down a Refrigerator and make it work again is a good board for me.In every way, if it is a LL question, including the $ side, they will have multiple answers.

Do a cut and paste, and see what they have to say. It might be a totally different answer.

But Honestly, when it comes to the $ side, I want an opinion from ProNinja just as much as i want an answer there. He is sharp as a tack, and right here in this thread.
That's a great site.Not sure I'll bother with a cut and paste... even if this was the deal of a lifetime, I don't think I'm ready to start investing in RE.

I do know, however, that I would like to get into it real soon.

I think I'll just sit back and start educating myself until I feel comfortable and confident that I know what I'm doing. I will also definitely check in with ya'll for some advice and such... if you guys don't mind ;)

Let me address this out of state investing topic...

Ask youself why would someone come to my neck of the woods to pitch a great deal in flyover country? Trust me on this, if it was a great deal, it would have been long gone before someone had to travel to the coast to find investors. Some of us locals actually have a little cash and understand how to leverage our financial situation to raise more cash when the right deal comes up. I see out of state investors preyed on all the time. A $100K townhome looks like a steal to someone seeing them selling for $500K in their back yard. Add in a sales agent or builder's rep that floats out a $1200 / month rental amount and everything looks great. I've had these folks in my office after the fact on several occasions. "What do you think my place will rent for?" is the first question. My reply is $750 to $800 if an average lead time of 3 months. $700 would be a better number if you want to get it rented in a month. "But the builder told me places like this go for $1200!!!" as I get a look like I'm clueless. That's when I drop the mls stats showing the last 8 similiar properties rented for $650 to $800 with day on market up to a couple of hundred days in some instances.

Bottom line...if there's a killer deal to be had someone like Mike or myself would have snagged it. If it was a reasonably good opportunity, I would have been on the phone with several of my clients and other agents actively working with investors to point it out to them. Doing well in real estate investing is all about keeping your eyes and ears open and establishing relationships. There are a million different ways to do this, but the local paper with out of town advertisments for investors would be at the bottom of my list. Personally I've steered at least 10x fold the people away from a purchase then towards one.

Hypothetical question:

Mr. X's house is appraised at $320,000. He still owes $300,000 on the mortgage.

He hears of a mortgage lender which will give him 125% of the value of his home. So he could refinance and get a loan for $400,000. $320K would go to pay off the first loan, and let's say there is $5,000 in closing fees.

He now has $75,000 to put in the bank... make home improvements... whatever.

He makes a decent living (about $80,000/yr.) and has no other outstanding debt, no wife, no children. He lives in a beautiful neighborhood, and his house, 25 years old but still in pristine condition, has appreciated greatly each of the past six years.

Is this a loan he should consider, or are the 125% mortgages to be avoided?

I went out and passed my RE licensing test with flying colors.

WHY???

Honest, it makes it tougher as an Investor. As a licensed RE agent, I am required to provide a Year warranty on any home I sell, the average guy can sell as is. My State law makes it a bear to actually be a licensed Agent.

That said, the only way I can be a Property manager is to have a RE License.

I am about 3-5 years away from running my own Management company.

Honestly? when the time comes, I will be able to turn an investment of $45K into a $950.00 GROSS flow property ALL DAY LONG!!! Run the CAP figures, Slam Dunk, ALL DAY LONG.

That is my Market, should nothing change, and there really is no change here.

When the time comes, it's as slam dunk for me as well.

I will only be buying for others right where I have my own properties, this is certainly an attempt to control "blocks" of RE where I don't have the mojo to pull it off. Controlling some 7 properties in a row (And I currently have a number of places I control 2-3 properties in a row) is a slam dunk to me. Outside of that, I will charge 10% of the gross and say $100 to place a tenant, with evictions at cost as I might have placed the slug. Repairs I will have my own crew where I charge for the repair and Materials, them pay my own guy and hourly wage. All in all, a slam dunk for me.

I won't be advertising out of market, as I won't need to. There is plenty of money to be made here. TONS OF MONEY for EVERYONE involved.

I find it very suspect that this operation is "selling" GC some 5 states away. If there was money to be made, everyone would be on board, and it wouldn't be something GC would even have a shot at.

Hypothetical question:

He hears of a mortgage lender which will give him 125% of the value of his home. So he could refinance and get a loan for $400,000. $320K would go to pay off the first loan, and let's say there is $5,000 in closing fees.

He makes a decent living (about $80,000/yr.) and has no other outstanding debt, no wife, no children. He lives in a beautiful neighborhood, and his house, 25 years old but still in pristine condition, has appreciated greatly each of the past six years.

Some important questions:1. What is his current interest rate?

2. What is his current payment?

3. What is his plan for the home?

4. How has his house appreciated greatly each of the past six years, and he only has $20k in equity? What is he spending his home equity on?

5. Most importantly - What does he plan to do with the extra $75k, and how is that going to net him a greater return than the added cost?
1) 7%2) $2400, including tax/ins. escrow

3) Live there for the foreseeable future

4) Refi'd several times w/ cash-out to pay student loans, family debt, etc.

5) Mainly home improvements. Adding a deck, in-ground pool, paint the house, professional landscaping, and several minor upgrades.

Hypothetical question:

Some important questions:1. What is his current interest rate?

2. What is his current payment?

3. What is his plan for the home?

4. How has his house appreciated greatly each of the past six years, and he only has $20k in equity? What is he spending his home equity on?

5. Most importantly - What does he plan to do with the extra $75k, and how is that going to net him a greater return than the added cost?
1) 7%2) $2400, including tax/ins. escrow

3) Live there for the foreseeable future

4) Refi'd several times w/ cash-out to pay student loans, family debt, etc.

5) Mainly home improvements. Adding a deck, in-ground pool, paint the house, professional landscaping, and several minor upgrades.
Define "family debt." - if you have a history of spending irresponsibly and using your home equity to cover up for it, I would strongly recommend against pulling more money out of your house.What I want you to avoid is spending your home equity. I want you to invest your home equity, having it earn a return. Some more questions.

1. Exactly how much are all of the improvements going to cost? Get bids.

2. How much are the improvments going to add to the value of the home? Talk to an appraiser.

3. Any improvements that don't add to the value of the home are purchases, not investments, and I would advise you to not go into debt for a purchase of an item that's for your enjoyment, not an investment. Spend the money you save from your income on the purchases. Don't rob your home of its equity.

4. 7% seems high.
I cannot answer your first two questions at this time, but point taken.7% is high, but my credit is far from perfect. :(

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'll research this further.

WHY???

Honest, it makes it tougher as an Investor. As a licensed RE agent, I am required to provide a Year warranty on any home I sell, the average guy can sell as is. My State law makes it a bear to actually be a licensed Agent.

Honestly? when the time comes, I will be able to turn an investment of $45K into a $950.00 GROSS flow property ALL DAY LONG!!! Run the CAP figures, Slam Dunk, ALL DAY LONG.

I will only be buying for others right where I have my own properties, this is certainly an attempt to control "blocks" of RE where I don't have the mojo to pull it off. Controlling some 7 properties in a row (And I currently have a number of places I control 2-3 properties in a row) is a slam dunk to me. Outside of that, I will charge 10% of the gross and say $100 to place a tenant, with evictions at cost as I might have placed the slug. Repairs I will have my own crew where I charge for the repair and Materials, them pay my own guy and hourly wage. All in all, a slam dunk for me.

I won't be advertising out of market, as I won't need to. There is plenty of money to be made here. TONS OF MONEY for EVERYONE involved.

I find it very suspect that this operation is "selling" GC some 5 states away. If there was money to be made, everyone would be on board, and it wouldn't be something GC would even have a shot at.
You make it seem like it's practically impossible to find property out of state to invest in and make a nice profit or see truly postive cash flow.How do you establish a connection to the investment opportunities in areas that you've never even been to? I mean, you can only do so much when it comes to researching an area to find out the statistics and what not.

WHY???

:jawdrop: Is the opportunity to control blocks really worth the loss of your time to pursue your highest expect return? With what you brought to the table here and have accomplished since turning pro, I can't imagine you spending time on anything other then what you're already doing. That said, when you do move forward, I'll be ready to buy.

You make it seem like it's practically impossible to find property out of state to invest in and make a nice profit or see truly postive cash flow.

How do you establish a connection to the investment opportunities in areas that you've never even been to? I mean, you can only do so much when it comes to researching an area to find out the statistics and what not.
The basic answer is that you need to go to where ever you're looking to invest and do your own research. You'll learn plenty in just a couple of days. Any one smart enough to ask the questions you've been asking here will quickly get a feel for a market. In a weekend you should be a to talk with a couple of property managers, a couple of agents, visit several new home communities, pick up and review the classifieds in the local papers, and drive around enough to get a feel for the area and call the numbers on any signs you see. Once you've identified a target area, you can then start looking for specific deals that suit you. During your travels, you should start to build some relationships with anyone you feel is trust worthy.

You make it seem like it's practically impossible to find property out of state to invest in and make a nice profit or see truly postive cash flow.

How do you establish a connection to the investment opportunities in areas that you've never even been to?  I mean, you can only do so much when it comes to researching an area to find out the statistics and what not.
The basic answer is that you need to go to where ever you're looking to invest and do your own research. You'll learn plenty in just a couple of days. Any one smart enough to ask the questions you've been asking here will quickly get a feel for a market. In a weekend you should be a to talk with a couple of property managers, a couple of agents, visit several new home communities, pick up and review the classifieds in the local papers, and drive around enough to get a feel for the area and call the numbers on any signs you see. Once you've identified a target area, you can then start looking for specific deals that suit you. During your travels, you should start to build some relationships with anyone you feel is trust worthy.
Thanks for the input Bass. I think that's a very safe a simple approach.My next question is... what resources do you use to determine what area has the most potential?

Maybe it's a heck of a deal? I don't know the buy in, but anything over even $80K purchase price to make $300 a month is a Dog in the Fly over states outside of a Hot market.

That's a great site.Not sure I'll bother with a cut and paste... even if this was the deal of a lifetime, I don't think I'm ready to start investing in RE.

I do know, however, that I would like to get into it real soon.

I think I'll just sit back and start educating myself until I feel comfortable and confident that I know what I'm doing. I will also definitely check in with ya'll for some advice and such... if you guys don't mind ;)
GC,Check out a local RE club.

Here is a link to find some.

National RE Groups

Also read Creative Real Estate Online(CREOnline.com) - good stuff there. I like those guys.

(Insert the "Jeff is a regular guy / real estate investor, not an FBG staff guy in this thread" disclaimer here).

How do you establish a connection to the investment opportunities in areas that you've never even been to? I mean, you can only do so much when it comes to researching an area to find out the statistics and what not.
Thanks for the input Bass. I think that's a very safe a simple approach.My next question is... what resources do you use to determine what area has the most potential?
That is more "art" than science.The truth is, RE investing can be done ANYWHERE in the US. The type and locale may vary, but it can be done.

You may be a LL like Mike, or you may be a rehabber like me, or you might just locate distressed properties (I do that too) or work on foreclosures.

Within a 2 hour drive, you can find RE deals. Guaranteed.

Alright, here's a request of the main posters in this thread. Jeff, Ninja, Mike, Bass...I want to become your pet project. I'm starting the real estate classes on Monday, but since I have to finish out my current situation (working for my brother) until the end of June, I won't finish the real estate classe until the end of July. One class in June and the other three in July. By August 1, I'll have my license.

The thing is, I've just learned that even when you've got your RE license, you still need to work for a broker. Crap! Anyway, I've already got my eye on a few properties. I want to do rehabs, be a landlord, and be a residential sales goon. I want to do my own thing when I want and where I want. I'm stubborn that way. ;)

The good thing is that my brother's best friend is a big time real estate broker here in Columbus. The bad thing is the afforementioned tendency toward doing my own thing.

My first question, AS YOUR NEW PET PROJECT, is what do I go into the meeting with Bruce (the broker) to get him to sponsor me? Obviously, it's going to be mainly a financial decision for him, but there's a strong personal connection there. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I don't want to be a sales monkey, so do you think it's possible that I can be affiliated with him without giving up half of everything I do?

Another question for my new mentors.

As of right now, I've got a good credit score--740 or so--but I'll officially be unemployed right after July 4th. But I'll actually be working for my brother under the table at half salary, which combined with a company car and unemployment compensation should leave me okay for a few months. There's a duplex that I want to buy, listing at 120k with both sides rented for $575 per month. That's $1150 income on a payment of about $850...looks like a good deal. Anyway, I'm thinking about grabbing this (pending inspection and appraisal) while my financial situation still looks good to the lender.

I'm cashing out my 401k (around 12,000) and have over 10,000 in available credit, so I can withstand a few months without renters, or even move in myself. Plus, I have siblings and parents that would help at the drop of a hat. The only thing I don't have is a sizeable down payment.

Here's the listing (I hope you can get there from this link).

MLS Listing

It was listed for a couple of months, then showed up as "sale pending". Now it's back as available. Not sure what that's all about, but I'm seriously thinking about buying this in the next few weeks.

Alright, here's a request of the main posters in this thread.  Jeff, Ninja, Mike, Bass...I want to become your pet project.  I'm starting the real estate classes on Monday, but since I have to finish out my current situation (working for my brother) until the end of June, I won't finish the real estate classes until the end of July.  One class in June and the other three in July.  By August 1, I'll have my license.

The thing is, I've just learned that even when you've got your RE license, you still need to work for a broker.  Crap!  Anyway, I've already got my eye on a few properties.  I want to do rehabs, be a landlord, and be a residential sales goon.  I want to do my own thing when I want and where I want.  I'm stubborn that way.  ;)

The good thing is that my brother's best friend is a big time real estate broker here in Columbus.  The bad thing is the aforementioned tendency toward doing my own thing.

My first question, AS YOUR NEW PET PROJECT, is what do I go into the meeting with Bruce (the broker) to get him to sponsor me?  Obviously, it's going to be mainly a financial decision for him, but there's a strong personal connection there.  So I've got that going for me, which is nice. 

I don't want to be a sales monkey, so do you think it's possible that I can be affiliated with him without giving up half of everything I do?
Homer,I had the EXACT same concerns.

I had a short list of Brokers that I already worked with. I went to each of them, and laid it out like this:

I am getting my License because I want the ability to Manage property for others down the road.  I have to hang it somewhere for at least a year before I can take the brokers test.  I will not be selling any of MY property while my License is hung with you, however, if I do, I want you to list it for me, and take the commission (Selling as an Agent here requires me to provide a Year warranty, and an Agent cannot sell a property in an "As-is" condition, I would want someone else to list it anyway).  And I am busy enough will my own properties to take a listing, SHORT of it being one of my best friends, if I get one, it's yours.I already use you (Broker) to buy houses.  If you hang my License, I will run every deal I do through you.  I want to be added to your E&O insurance (the cost is MUCH less than having your own policy), I understand that I will pay dues, and the MLS fees.I am in this for myself, to build my company, and not be a working agent.  You don't have to train me, I will not be selling or buying for other people, I will only buy, and everything will be run through you/your office so you can sign off that everything is correct in my dealings.Think of it as free money that you are not going to be getting if I end up with this deal at another brokerage.I will do no assigned floor time, however, I will be happy to answer the phones when I am already on property doing research for me.  Everyone of those phone ups will be passed to you personally.  I will not pay a desk rental, however I want the ability to access the MLS from a computer.  My "footprint" on your office will be next to nothing.I will pay you nothing directly ever, no monthly fee, anything.  When I buy, if it is a repo where a buying agent earns no commission, you are my agent, and you take all of the buyers commission, and work the deal.  When I can earn a commission, I will work the deal, run it through your office, and give you 30% of the buyers commission.  It's free money with zero additional work on your end, and I am 100% exclusive to you.I was prepared to give up 40% of the buyers commission on my deals. I figure that getting anything is better than the nothing I get now. Even 3 OF MY OWN deals a year where I only get a share of the buyers commission more than paid for any costs I would have in a structure like this.At the end of the day, 3 Brokers jumped at the chance. One of the brokers that jumped I had never spoken to before in my life.

You can't get what you don't ask for.

As of right now, I've got a good credit score--740 or so--but I'll officially be unemployed right after July 4th. But I'll actually be working for my brother under the table at half salary, which combined with a company car and unemployment compensation should leave me okay for a few months. There's a duplex that I want to buy, listing at 120k with both sides rented for $575 per month. That's $1150 income on a payment of about $850...looks like a good deal. Anyway, I'm thinking about grabbing this (pending inspection and appraisal) while my financial situation still looks good to the lender.

I'm cashing out my 401k (around 12,000) and have over 10,000 in available credit, so I can withstand a few months without renters, or even move in myself. Plus, I have siblings and parents that would help at the drop of a hat. The only thing I don't have is a sizable down payment.

MLS Listing

It was listed for a couple of months, then showed up as "sale pending". Now it's back as available. Not sure what that's all about, but I'm seriously thinking about buying this in the next few weeks.
First thought: With a 740 and no job, you can still go no Doc, and make it work. You WILL pay a higher interest rate if you play it straight. I am a big believer in playing it straight and sleeping well at night. Surely at least on Mortgage broker will suggest other ways of structuring your information when the time comes and they see your set up. It's done all the time, and no one ever seems to get caught, but I like sleeping my my home, not one with lots of roommates that is federally owned. Someone will likely try and steer you a wrong way with a great score and no documented income. Don't be that guy who's brother creates the VOE.The only way I see a $850 a month payment is with nothing down at 7% or so, or 10% down at 9% or so. How are you seeing this?

At 10% down, or $12K, you are eating into your reserves pretty hard, and may struggle on the back side.

Pro Ninja would have to answer this, but a No Doc, with Zero down may be doable with a 740 score???? I don't know. 2 Years ago, absolutely, but lenders are tightening up.

Now, take the $850 a month (Will you have PMI?), I can't seem to pull up the listing (Please post the MLS number so I can find it another way, I already know you are in C-Bus), but if it is out by say Dublin, your Taxes will be OUTRAGEOUS. I don't know what part of the city, so lets just assume say 1,800 in taxes???? Like I said, don't know, but I remember that C-Bus was higher than my market. (I have a best friend who is an investor in Columbus, and works at OSU, I have helped him in the past)

So, 1,800 is another $150 a month. Then FIRE insurance, that is what you want, not replacement cost, or you will have zero chance of making this work. So Insurance of another $900 a year, or $75 a month. Might be as low as $600.00 or $50 a month, I don't remember your area?

That would be $850 + $150 + $75 = $1,075 outgoing a month.

Now, Incoming, $1,150 fully rented out with no expenses or down time.

Really, you have already stated that you will take the place empty, and will have no income. Lets assume this as a BEST CASE. You get it rented out ASAP (not going to happen), but in a best case, you rent it out fast, and year after year you have a total of one month down time per unit. Some years going forward, you have zero down time, and some years going forward you have a few months between renters. Anyway, assuming each unit has a vacancy for one single month a year while you clean, advertise, fix, etc. That drops the monthly incoming to $1,055.00

At this point, you are losing $20.00 a month for the privilege of dealing with renters.

But we haven't looked at repairs. Water heater goes down, Furnace needs repair, roof gets a leak, how is the wiring? Up to code? Basement in good shape?

Start up costs: Every little thing to get a renter costs money every time you have turn over. From the littlest things like a new battery for the smoke detector, window repair, screens, Cleaning costs, or at least cleaning supplies if you do the work, paint when needed, carpet replacement and cleaning, advertising, and it costs to run an add in the newspaper, more than you would think it should. These costs can spiral out if you don't know what you are doing.

Sure, some repair costs can be put back on the tenant's deposit, but one professional tenant can cost you a grand or more over the deposit, and force you to evict them with more down time.

I know I went into some detail here, but this looks like a huge dog to me. Just quick and easy math, Based on it's potential as a rental, I would say it's overpriced by $25K.

That is the way a rental oriented mind like me or Bass is going to look at it.

Perhaps Jeff or certainly ProNinja can look at the different ways to buy this property and see a deal? You make your money when you buy, and I can't see a good way to buy this property at it's current cost.

General rules:

EVERY property must support itself at the BARE MINIMUM. I don't want to PAY to own something, otherwise why did I buy it?
1% rule. 1% rule. 1% rule. Rent > 1% of purchase price. Or walk.
I don't count on appreciation. Ever.

Alright, here's a request of the main posters in this thread. Jeff, Ninja, Mike, Bass...I want to become your pet project. I'm starting the real estate classes on Monday, but since I have to finish out my current situation (working for my brother) until the end of June, I won't finish the real estate classes until the end of July. One class in June and the other three in July. By August 1, I'll have my license.

The thing is, I've just learned that even when you've got your RE license, you still need to work for a broker. Crap! Anyway, I've already got my eye on a few properties. I want to do rehabs, be a landlord, and be a residential sales goon. I want to do my own thing when I want and where I want. I'm stubborn that way. ;)

The good thing is that my brother's best friend is a big time real estate broker here in Columbus. The bad thing is the aforementioned tendency toward doing my own thing.

My first question, AS YOUR NEW PET PROJECT, is what do I go into the meeting with Bruce (the broker) to get him to sponsor me? Obviously, it's going to be mainly a financial decision for him, but there's a strong personal connection there. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I had a short list of Brokers that I already worked with. I went to each of them, and laid it out like this:

I am getting my License because I want the ability to Manage property for others down the road. I have to hang it somewhere for at least a year before I can take the brokers test. I will not be selling any of MY property while my License is hung with you, however, if I do, I want you to list it for me, and take the commission (Selling as an Agent here requires me to provide a Year warranty, and an Agent cannot sell a property in an "As-is" condition, I would want someone else to list it anyway). And I am busy enough will my own properties to take a listing, SHORT of it being one of my best friends, if I get one, it's yours.I already use you (Broker) to buy houses. If you hang my License, I will run every deal I do through you. I want to be added to your E&O insurance (the cost is MUCH less than having your own policy), I understand that I will pay dues, and the MLS fees.I am in this for myself, to build my company, and not be a working agent. You don't have to train me, I will not be selling or buying for other people, I will only buy, and everything will be run through you/your office so you can sign off that everything is correct in my dealings.Think of it as free money that you are not going to be getting if I end up with this deal at another brokerage.I will do no assigned floor time, however, I will be happy to answer the phones when I am already on property doing research for me. Everyone of those phone ups will be passed to you personally. I will not pay a desk rental, however I want the ability to access the MLS from a computer. My "footprint" on your office will be next to nothing.I will pay you nothing directly ever, no monthly fee, anything. When I buy, if it is a repo where a buying agent earns no commission, you are my agent, and you take all of the buyers commission, and work the deal. When I can earn a commission, I will work the deal, run it through your office, and give you 30% of the buyers commission. It's free money with zero additional work on your end, and I am 100% exclusive to you.I was prepared to give up 40% of the buyers commission on my deals. I figure that getting anything is better than the nothing I get now. Even 3 OF MY OWN deals a year where I only get a share of the buyers commission more than paid for any costs I would have in a structure like this.At the end of the day, 3 Brokers jumped at the chance. One of the brokers that jumped I had never spoken to before in my life.

Couldn't you just pay a broker under the table to get your RE license and cut the year time table out? Probably not but I remember someone telling that they did something like that where they didn't want to be a RE Agent, just buy properties for themselves and rehab and sell..

General rules:

EVERY property must support itself at the BARE MINIMUM.  I don't want to PAY to own something, otherwise why did I buy it?
1% rule.  1% rule.  1% rule. Rent > 1% of purchase price.  Or walk.
I don't count on appreciation.  Ever.
I want to see 0.8% rule. I doubt that is doable on the coasts and in hot markets. I would exclusively be a flipper in a hot market. The only other way I can see to do it is to turn your IRA in to a self directed IRA, and use it to buy RE. I would absolutely butcher any explaination of this process that I might try to give.

However, I did have it all laid out for me at one time. It was to buy a row of six 2/1 Townhouses, at a higher price than the rentals would allow for a profit, with a self directed IRA. At the end of the day, it seemed to make the most sense if you are over 60, and can take the rents as a dispersement.

I was shown how the property would be a much better return that standard IRA investing. You buy the property outright with your IRA and set it up as an LLC, and at my age, unfortunely, it just builds within the IRA, for a long term slam dunk.

I may revisit someday when I am ready to better understand it.

That was the one and only way that I have ever been able to look at a dog on paper, and it make sense.

You make your money when you buy a property.

Alright, here's a request of the main posters in this thread.  Jeff, Ninja, Mike, Bass...I want to become your pet project.  I'm starting the real estate classes on Monday, but since I have to finish out my current situation (working for my brother) until the end of June, I won't finish the real estate classes until the end of July.  One class in June and the other three in July.  By August 1, I'll have my license.

The thing is, I've just learned that even when you've got your RE license, you still need to work for a broker.  Crap!  Anyway, I've already got my eye on a few properties.  I want to do rehabs, be a landlord, and be a residential sales goon.  I want to do my own thing when I want and where I want.  I'm stubborn that way.  ;)

The good thing is that my brother's best friend is a big time real estate broker here in Columbus.  The bad thing is the aforementioned tendency toward doing my own thing.

My first question, AS YOUR NEW PET PROJECT, is what do I go into the meeting with Bruce (the broker) to get him to sponsor me?  Obviously, it's going to be mainly a financial decision for him, but there's a strong personal connection there.  So I've got that going for me, which is nice. 

I am getting my License because I want the ability to Manage property for others down the road.  I have to hang it somewhere for at least a year before I can take the brokers test.  I will not be selling any of MY property while my License is hung with you, however, if I do, I want you to list it for me, and take the commission (Selling as an Agent here requires me to provide a Year warranty, and an Agent cannot sell a property in an "As-is" condition, I would want someone else to list it anyway).  And I am busy enough will my own properties to take a listing, SHORT of it being one of my best friends, if I get one, it's yours.I already use you (Broker) to buy houses.  If you hang my License, I will run every deal I do through you.  I want to be added to your E&O insurance (the cost is MUCH less than having your own policy), I understand that I will pay dues, and the MLS fees.I am in this for myself, to build my company, and not be a working agent.  You don't have to train me, I will not be selling or buying for other people, I will only buy, and everything will be run through you/your office so you can sign off that everything is correct in my dealings.Think of it as free money that you are not going to be getting if I end up with this deal at another brokerage.I will do no assigned floor time, however, I will be happy to answer the phones when I am already on property doing research for me.  Everyone of those phone ups will be passed to you personally.  I will not pay a desk rental, however I want the ability to access the MLS from a computer.  My "footprint" on your office will be next to nothing.I will pay you nothing directly ever, no monthly fee, anything.  When I buy, if it is a repo where a buying agent earns no commission, you are my agent, and you take all of the buyers commission, and work the deal.  When I can earn a commission, I will work the deal, run it through your office, and give you 30% of the buyers commission.  It's free money with zero additional work on your end, and I am 100% exclusive to you.I was prepared to give up 40% of the buyers commission on my deals. I figure that getting anything is better than the nothing I get now. Even 3 OF MY OWN deals a year where I only get a share of the buyers commission more than paid for any costs I would have in a structure like this.At the end of the day, 3 Brokers jumped at the chance. One of the brokers that jumped I had never spoken to before in my life.

Couldn't you just pay a broker under the table to get your RE license and cut the year time table out? Probably not but I remember someone telling that they did something like that where they didn't want to be a RE Agent, just buy properties for themselves and rehab and sell..
I don't know, I would never broch that subject with a Broker.For me, we are talking $100s of thousands of dollars (Over a Million in Holdings Debt), enough to bankrupt my family and maybe turn me into an Hourly employee for the rest of my life if it goes wrong (My last name is Anderson, not Trump). I wouldn't want to work with a Broker who is willing to bend so many rules as I don't want them bent against me.

In Homer's case, it's a trusted family friend, but still, not a risk I am going to take.

Mike, thanks for the analysis.

The only thing you were off about was the renter situation. Both sides are currently occupied. The MLS # is 2554391 if you want to take a look at it.

Alright, here's a request of the main posters in this thread. Jeff, Ninja, Mike, Bass...I want to become your pet project. I'm starting the real estate classes on Monday, but since I have to finish out my current situation (working for my brother) until the end of June, I won't finish the real estate classes until the end of July. One class in June and the other three in July. By August 1, I'll have my license.

The good thing is that my brother's best friend is a big time real estate broker here in Columbus. The bad thing is the aforementioned tendency toward doing my own thing.

I am getting my License because I want the ability to Manage property for others down the road. I have to hang it somewhere for at least a year before I can take the brokers test. I will not be selling any of MY property while my License is hung with you, however, if I do, I want you to list it for me, and take the commission (Selling as an Agent here requires me to provide a Year warranty, and an Agent cannot sell a property in an "As-is" condition, I would want someone else to list it anyway). And I am busy enough will my own properties to take a listing, SHORT of it being one of my best friends, if I get one, it's yours.I already use you (Broker) to buy houses. If you hang my License, I will run every deal I do through you. I want to be added to your E&O insurance (the cost is MUCH less than having your own policy), I understand that I will pay dues, and the MLS fees.I am in this for myself, to build my company, and not be a working agent. You don't have to train me, I will not be selling or buying for other people, I will only buy, and everything will be run through you/your office so you can sign off that everything is correct in my dealings.Think of it as free money that you are not going to be getting if I end up with this deal at another brokerage.I will do no assigned floor time, however, I will be happy to answer the phones when I am already on property doing research for me. Everyone of those phone ups will be passed to you personally. I will not pay a desk rental, however I want the ability to access the MLS from a computer. My "footprint" on your office will be next to nothing.I will pay you nothing directly ever, no monthly fee, anything. When I buy, if it is a repo where a buying agent earns no commission, you are my agent, and you take all of the buyers commission, and work the deal. When I can earn a commission, I will work the deal, run it through your office, and give you 30% of the buyers commission. It's free money with zero additional work on your end, and I am 100% exclusive to you.I was prepared to give up 40% of the buyers commission on my deals. I figure that getting anything is better than the nothing I get now. Even 3 OF MY OWN deals a year where I only get a share of the buyers commission more than paid for any costs I would have in a structure like this.At the end of the day, 3 Brokers jumped at the chance. One of the brokers that jumped I had never spoken to before in my life.

I don't know, I would never broch that subject with a Broker.For me, we are talking $100s of thousands of dollars (Over a Million in Holdings Debt), enough to bankrupt my family and maybe turn me into an Hourly employee for the rest of my life if it goes wrong (My last name is Anderson, not Trump). I wouldn't want to work with a Broker who is willing to bend so many rules as I don't want them bent against me.

In Homer's case, it's a trusted family friend, but still, not a risk I am going to take.
I wouldn't even think about asking that.

The only thing you were off about was the renter situation. Both sides are currently occupied. The MLS # is 2554391 if you want to take a look at it.
That is a Great looking place, and being Brick, has alot less maintenance. TONS of extras!Given that it is right downtown off the business district, three bed each side, with replacement windows, A/C, the works, the $575.00 a month seems low to me. I would want to do some research on the going rates, but I could almost get that here, in a much softer rental market than your location has to be in my mind.

Are you looking right downtown? Me? I LOVE right downtown properties, most prefer the 3 bedroom ranch in the suburbs. At say $25K less, that is a property I would hurt myself jumping on to.

Very nice.

Tell me about the area you want to invest in? Is it this kind of property right downtown, or have you given it much thought?

Not unless you want the state real estate comission to send you to real estate jail. Generally the state issues the licensee and although it is the gummit, they can tell 2006 from 2007.

As of right now, I've got a good credit score--740 or so--but I'll officially be unemployed right after July 4th.  But I'll actually be working for my brother under the table at half salary, which combined with a company car and unemployment compensation should leave me okay for a few months.  There's a duplex that I want to buy, listing at 120k with both sides rented for $575 per month.  That's $1150 income on a payment of about $850...looks like a good deal.  Anyway, I'm thinking about grabbing this (pending inspection and appraisal) while my financial situation still looks good to the lender. 

I'm cashing out my 401k (around 12,000) and have over 10,000 in available credit, so I can withstand a few months without renters, or even move in myself.  Plus, I have siblings and parents that would help at the drop of a hat.  The only thing I don't have is a sizable down payment.

MLS Listing

It was listed for a couple of months, then showed up as "sale pending".  Now it's back as available.  Not sure what that's all about, but I'm seriously thinking about buying this in the next few weeks.
First thought: With a 740 and no job, you can still go no Doc, and make it work. You WILL pay a higher interest rate if you play it straight. I am a big believer in playing it straight and sleeping well at night. Surely at least on Mortgage broker will suggest other ways of structuring your information when the time comes and they see your set up. It's done all the time, and no one ever seems to get caught, but I like sleeping my my home, not one with lots of roommates that is federally owned. Someone will likely try and steer you a wrong way with a great score and no documented income. Don't be that guy who's brother creates the VOE.The only way I see a $850 a month payment is with nothing down at 7% or so, or 10% down at 9% or so. How are you seeing this?

At 10% down, or $12K, you are eating into your reserves pretty hard, and may struggle on the back side.

Pro Ninja would have to answer this, but a No Doc, with Zero down may be doable with a 740 score???? I don't know. 2 Years ago, absolutely, but lenders are tightening up.

Now, take the $850 a month (Will you have PMI?), I can't seem to pull up the listing (Please post the MLS number so I can find it another way, I already know you are in C-Bus), but if it is out by say Dublin, your Taxes will be OUTRAGEOUS. I don't know what part of the city, so lets just assume say 1,800 in taxes???? Like I said, don't know, but I remember that C-Bus was higher than my market. (I have a best friend who is an investor in Columbus, and works at OSU, I have helped him in the past)

So, 1,800 is another $150 a month. Then FIRE insurance, that is what you want, not replacement cost, or you will have zero chance of making this work. So Insurance of another $900 a year, or $75 a month. Might be as low as $600.00 or $50 a month, I don't remember your area?

Really, you have already stated that you will take the place empty, and will have no income. Lets assume this as a BEST CASE. You get it rented out ASAP (not going to happen), but in a best case, you rent it out fast, and year after year you have a total of one month down time per unit. Some years going forward, you have zero down time, and some years going forward you have a few months between renters. Anyway, assuming each unit has a vacancy for one single month a year while you clean, advertise, fix, etc. That drops the monthly incoming to $1,055.00

At this point, you are losing $20.00 a month for the privilege of dealing with renters.

But we haven't looked at repairs. Water heater goes down, Furnace needs repair, roof gets a leak, how is the wiring? Up to code? Basement in good shape?

Start up costs: Every little thing to get a renter costs money every time you have turn over. From the littlest things like a new battery for the smoke detector, window repair, screens, Cleaning costs, or at least cleaning supplies if you do the work, paint when needed, carpet replacement and cleaning, advertising, and it costs to run an add in the newspaper, more than you would think it should. These costs can spiral out if you don't know what you are doing.

Sure, some repair costs can be put back on the tenant's deposit, but one professional tenant can cost you a grand or more over the deposit, and force you to evict them with more down time.

I know I went into some detail here, but this looks like a huge dog to me. Just quick and easy math, Based on it's potential as a rental, I would say it's overpriced by $25K.

Perhaps Jeff or certainly ProNinja can look at the different ways to buy this property and see a deal? You make your money when you buy, and I can't see a good way to buy this property at it's current cost.
I wouldn't be as quick to pass this by as Mike. I know in my market, I'd be all over this. If this is the best deal around, I suspect the financials will improve as mortgages rates drift higher via rent increases. If you don't own a home, I'd consider making this my primary residence for a brief period of time to capitalize on lower interest rates and less money down. Appreciation really is something you need to attempt to figure in. Most of my investors last year were flat on the income side, but knocked out 1%+ a month returns on the appreciation side. My point is that sometimes you have to take what's available and there are no universial rules as each market is it's own entity. That side, Mike laid out all the questions you need to ask before proceeding forward. Have you comped this deal to the last dozen or so in the market that closed?

Now, understand that I buy beat up ugly duplexes, and do the work myself with a crew of labors. I also don't know your area really at all. I know it better than most as I spent too many lost weekends eating Burritos as big as my Head. :thumbup: That said, I would be attracted to something like this

MLS ID#: 2625060

Might be Terrible, I don't know the area well enough? Remember, I don't know the area:

MLS ID#: 2621861 - Bank Owned, so don't expect help in buying it, 2 bed each side.

MLS ID#: 2527677 - Like the looks, laid out well, don't know the area.

MLS ID#: 2601317 - This is the same Realtor as the first one you had. Leads me to believe that she operates in the area, and does Duplexes. She could be a great one to build a relationship with? Maybe she is a Broker? Anyway, states that the rented side is $450.00. At $500.00 a side (Both sides are three bedroom, you already have your own comp of $575 from the first property), and lower the price by $5-10K, this is a winner. Once again, don't know the area.

However, with just a little research here (VERY LITTLE), this looks like the area I would be operating in.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

That is a Great looking place, and being Brick, has alot less maintenance. TONS of extras!Given that it is right downtown off the business district, three bed each side, with replacement windows, A/C, the works, the $575.00 a month seems low to me. I would want to do some research on the going rates, but I could almost get that here, in a much softer rental market than your location has to be in my mind.

Are you looking right downtown? Me? I LOVE right downtown properties, most prefer the 3 bedroom ranch in the suburbs. At say $25K less, that is a property I would hurt myself jumping on to.

Very nice.

Tell me about the area you want to invest in? Is it this kind of property right downtown, or have you given it much thought?
That part of the city is called Olde Towne East, just outside of downtown. Parts of it are still the 'hood but there are pockets where it's really really nice. Beautiful old houses just waiting for the young professional crowd to move in, and they are...it's just not happening overnight. Tons of potential there, and that's where I'll be focusing my energies...it's where the deals are.As for the rent, I think $575 is low as well, but to be honest I haven't done a lot of research yet.

As of right now, I've got a good credit score--740 or so--but I'll officially be unemployed right after July 4th.  But I'll actually be working for my brother under the table at half salary, which combined with a company car and unemployment compensation should leave me okay for a few months.  There's a duplex that I want to buy, listing at 120k with both sides rented for $575 per month.  That's $1150 income on a payment of about $850...looks like a good deal.  Anyway, I'm thinking about grabbing this (pending inspection and appraisal) while my financial situation still looks good to the lender. 

I'm cashing out my 401k (around 12,000) and have over 10,000 in available credit, so I can withstand a few months without renters, or even move in myself.  Plus, I have siblings and parents that would help at the drop of a hat.  The only thing I don't have is a sizable down payment.

MLS Listing

It was listed for a couple of months, then showed up as "sale pending".  Now it's back as available.  Not sure what that's all about, but I'm seriously thinking about buying this in the next few weeks.

I wouldn't be as quick to pass this by as Mike. I know in my market, I'd be all over this. If this is the best deal around, I suspect the financials will improve as mortgages rates drift higher via rent increases. If you don't own a home, I'd consider making this my primary residence for a brief period of time to capitalize on lower interest rates and less money down. Appreciation really is something you need to attempt to figure in. Most of my investors last year were flat on the income side, but knocked out 1%+ a month returns on the appreciation side. My point is that sometimes you have to take what's available and there are no universial rules as each market is it's own entity. That side, Mike laid out all the questions you need to ask before proceeding forward. Have you comped this deal to the last dozen or so in the market that closed?
Great call on the Living in one side of it. Jeff would have nightmares, but I was able to start doing this for a living by buying a Duplex, and living in half of it. Tax breaks, live next to rent free, the works.It's how I got started.

The only thing you were off about was the renter situation.  Both sides are currently occupied.  The MLS # is 2554391 if you want to take a look at it.

Very nice.

That part of the city is called Olde Towne East, just outside of downtown. Parts of it are still the 'hood but there are pockets where it's really really nice. Beautiful old houses just waiting for the young professional crowd to move in, and they are...it's just not happening overnight. Tons of potential there, and that's where I'll be focusing my energies...it's where the deals are.As for the rent, I think $575 is low as well, but to be honest I haven't done a lot of research yet.
I am in EXACTLY the same place.My area is called Old West Central. TONS of great old Victorians, just waiting for the downtown professional to take over. One of my best properties was bought in 96 for $70K and is now worth $225K. I bought a number of places in the $50K range that after minimal rehab (Under $5K in many cases) would then comp out at $95-110K.

From my experience, there is a TON of money to be made in old Historic area for someone with the right mindset. I would LOVE to be where you are, chasing down deals in a new frontier and learning what a market can do.

It was one of the more fun times for me. At this point, everything is kind of clock work. What a great area to get started in. My Area is 7x7 blocks in the main area, with another 5x4 blocks of more run down stuff. Looks like you have TONS of space to expand into.

What fun!

Great call on the Living in one side of it. Jeff would have nightmares, but I was able to start doing this for a living by buying a Duplex, and living in half of it. Tax breaks, live next to rent free, the works.

It's how I got started.
This is a very real possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread