What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Real Estate Forum *** (1 Viewer)

:blackdot:

Have 3 rentals. SFH in Pittsburgh that I'll be selling this year. Two townhomes in same complex in Charlotte.
I am trying to get me local properties sold so I can move to Charlotte area.
What is special about Charlotte? Just better weather or is it something with the RE market?
Weather mainly. I live in a #### hole, no jobs, #### weather. Charlotte just seems like a nice area. I want to live someplace where my face doesn't hurt when I walk outside for 6 months a year.

In no particularly order...

Lawsuit against HOA

HOA spending impacting fees

Special assessment

School redistricting

Major road construction (although this is usually a 2-3 year period unless you live in NC not near Raleigh)

This complex becoming a less desirable complex relative to others

Re-zoning

The guy who owns 50 has less exposure to some of these items because with 50 votes he should control the board to some extent. Personally I would have to have a very compelling reason before double dipping in a neighborhood. Generally if there's a good deal in a complex there's likely another good deal in another complex. Think about it like investing in stocks. I wouldn't want more than 20% of my portfolio in one stock.
Lawsuit against HOA- This might be the only one from the list that would be a factor for mine

HOA spending impacting fees- super unlikely. They are well insured and have been operating at a surplus with no fee changes for a few years

Special assessment- maybe this, cause I have no idea what would fall into this category

School redistricting- not possible, in fact, brand new school just built less than 1/4 mile away

Major road construction (although this is usually a 2-3 year period unless you live in NC not near Raleigh)- not possible, plenty of roads all around and zero logistical possibility to tear it all down for a freeway, partly because you would have to tear down school and many house, plus there is a free way just north and another a few miiles south.

This complex becoming a less desirable complex relative to others- It already is. Any other condo complex in this city has unit selling for AT MINIMUM double what they sell for here. I mean, the demand is there, but it is already by far the cheapest condo compex in the city.

Re-zoning- Can't even imagine what it would be re-zoned for, and even if it was, does Obama step in and just TAKE the condo away from me?

I realize like any investment there are risks, but again, after talking to people who know this stuff much better than me and have 1st hand knowledge of this exact condo development, I couldn't feel safer investing in multiple units here. There are definitely other condo developments around here that I wouldnt. It wouldnt make sense anyway. A 3 bedroom in another spot that costs over $100,000 will rent for the same amount as the 3 bedroom unit in the development I am in, and those cost just over $50,000.

There is currently a waiting list to rent here. People apparently like living very close to both the high school and middle school, and it helps that it is a fantastic school system.

I did recently hear that they may be making a change soon and rule that a certain percentage of the condos must be owner occupied, and once it gets to be at that percentage you can no longer buy any of the condos unless it will be your primary residence. If this were to happen after I already own them I would be grandfathered in. Plus, it would just increase the already high demand since less would be rentals.

I am sure I will get a call in the morning sometime soon telling me I owe $30,000 for some sort of crazy construction of some sort now that I have said all this, but until then, I'll keep an eye out for another.
HUD requires that 50% of the units be owner occupied in order for FHA loans to be an option. Without FHA loans property values will be held down. I doubt your "unit" will be grandfathered, just you existing lease. In that situation things can get political after a lease expires. I suspect the guy you talked about with 50 votes for BOD positions will probably have an upper hand in securing the units in the 50%. I'd start kissing some butt if you are going to put all your eggs in that basket.

Yes i would be grandfathered. The person in charge of this decision has a few units also.

Not sure it was me mentioning someone with 50 votes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not actively trying to buy another rental right now, but I will if another one lke the one I have presents itself.

Right now there is another condo in this complex where my other one is that is in preforeclosure (some of the 3 bedrooms sold for about 110-120k several years back and now sell for about 55-60k when they are NOT a foreclosure).

I also know the head of the condo association there who can let me know info about the property since she is allowed inside for various reasons.

If it comes available and the price/time/effort makes sense like the other one I bought, I would have no problem buying it.
I would strongly recommend not putting too many eggs in the same basket and diversified into different complexes or types of housing.
BNB - Any first hand experience as to why this is a bad idea? I think there's a guy on here that owns something like 50 units, all in the same complex.
In no particularly order...

Lawsuit against HOA

HOA spending impacting fees

Special assessment

School redistricting

Major road construction (although this is usually a 2-3 year period unless you live in NC not near Raleigh)

This complex becoming a less desirable complex relative to others

Re-zoning

The guy who owns 50 has less exposure to some of these items because with 50 votes he should control the board to some extent. Personally I would have to have a very compelling reason before double dipping in a neighborhood. Generally if there's a good deal in a complex there's likely another good deal in another complex. Think about it like investing in stocks. I wouldn't want more than 20% of my portfolio in one stock.
Yikes! You have first hand experience with all of these issues? I know you manage (own?) a lot of properties, but thats a lot to swallow. How long have you been in the business?

What were the outcomes of each? What was the worst case?
I've been in the business since 2001. Basically run the company that oversees close to 1000 properties but that includes HOA associations.

Lawsuit against HOA - No first hand experience but have heard about HOAs getting into lawsuits which have resulted in higher dues.

HOA spending impacting fees - I have witnessing dues on one personal unit go from $99 to about $170 over the last 5-6 years.

Special assessment - Run in this numerous times when roofs go bad or other construction defects arise after the warranty and the reserve fund isn't sufficient to cover the expenses. Also saw this with building defects that should have been under warranty but the builder went out of business.

School redistricting - See the Charlotte, NC thread. One poster was talking about 30% price drops when growth caused some to be moved into a lower rated district.

Major road construction (although this is usually a 2-3 year period unless you live in NC not near Raleigh) - Run into this on several occasions in my neck of the woods. Genrally road widening creates a cluster that influence buying and rental decisions for several years.

Re-zoning - I wasn't referring to the subject property, more along the lines of a 500 unit apartment complex or shopping center going up down the road and creating major traffic issues.

Appraisal came back $20k low on the home we have under contract in the $500k range, need some guidance on what the right move is here. I planned on putting down enough of a deposit that it won't effect my loan but I don't feel great about paying more than we have to. It was a harsh appraisal and we are getting $5k to closing cost. We have the out in the contract if we want to walk, I think we still want in though and may be realistically $5k high if at all.

So.....what would you do?

Appraisal came back $20k low on the home we have under contract in the $500k range, need some guidance on what the right move is here. I planned on putting down enough of a deposit that it won't effect my loan but I don't feel great about paying more than we have to. It was a harsh appraisal and we are getting $5k to closing cost. We have the out in the contract if we want to walk, I think we still want in though and may be realistically $5k high if at all.

So.....what would you do?
Would depend on how much I loved the house, whether there are comparable houses available, and how long I planned on staying. I would also want to take a close look at comps, as nearby and as close in square footage to this house as possible.
Wife loves it,I'm ok with it. Very limited other options in this range. Would stay 6-10 years. Towards the high end of comps but not way out of range.

Wouldn't the appraisal coming in low give you leverage to renegotiate to a lower price? I'm guessing if you say you're walking, the seller and agents would do something to keep you. Just a guess.

So, unless I'm in love with the house, couldn't find a different one, needed this one now for some reason, I'm revising my offer.

Random said:
Wouldn't the appraisal coming in low give you leverage to renegotiate to a lower price? I'm guessing if you say you're walking, the seller and agents would do something to keep you. Just a guess.

So, unless I'm in love with the house, couldn't find a different one, needed this one now for some reason, I'm revising my offer.
They are trying to challenge the appraisal, my lender says he's never seen one changed. Once they exhaust that option I need to figure out the amount that would not cause then to want to put it back on the market.

Have an agreement for purchase of a home (still need inspection - tomorrow) and the HOA Bylaws.

It's been 15 days with no production of the bylaws. I've spoken with the President of the HOA about some of my general questions and he was helpful.

However, I have HOUNDED these people for a copy of them - the President told me they didn't request them from his office until late last week.

Inspection is tomorrow and I still don't have them. Yes there are things in there that I want some peace of mind on before purchasing this home.

My threats to walk away haven't been met with any persistence (the Sales Agreement states I may terminate it at any time BEFORE I receive the bylaws - or within 5 days after receiving them).

What would you do here? The Bylaws are very important to me - the HOA fees are low, so I'm assuming they are allowed with capital contribution / assessment fees that I'd like to be aware of. I love the home, but I want the bylaws - now.

Have an agreement for purchase of a home (still need inspection - tomorrow) and the HOA Bylaws.

It's been 15 days with no production of the bylaws. I've spoken with the President of the HOA about some of my general questions and he was helpful.

However, I have HOUNDED these people for a copy of them - the President told me they didn't request them from his office until late last week.

Inspection is tomorrow and I still don't have them. Yes there are things in there that I want some peace of mind on before purchasing this home.

My threats to walk away haven't been met with any persistence (the Sales Agreement states I may terminate it at any time BEFORE I receive the bylaws - or within 5 days after receiving them).

What would you do here? The Bylaws are very important to me - the HOA fees are low, so I'm assuming they are allowed with capital contribution / assessment fees that I'd like to be aware of. I love the home, but I want the bylaws - now.
Try a google search for them. I've found others online this way before.

We have covenants which are filed with our county's auditors office. Would they need to be publicly filed?

Question on Inspections.

negotiated a great price on a home (37k under asking price accepted)...

Last time I tried to buy a home, it died when the inspection report turned up about 5k in items that were MUST repair (completely failing heating system - we're talking rusted and decaying and 26 years old). We asked for a sellers assist and the seller basically told me to f off, so I walked away.

The new home I negotiated the good price on came back with an inspection that has less issues but one of them is major. The back patio is sloped TOWARD the house so precipation runs into the house and into the foundation. Some of the wood is wet/rotting due to it. It's a big stone patio and estimates are over 5 thousand dollars to remedy. There is a small plumbing issue and a few other things such as improper roof ventilation system. All told, about 6k needed to fix the vital items.

I'm open to letting the seller fix them but I know they won't be replacing this patio in 2 months.

I've only worked with the same real estate agent throughout the process. Is it normal to ask for a seller's assist with ANY inspection issues? I feel like my agent is trying to discourage me from doing so because I got such a below asking price deal on the house that I should overlook those things.

I don't want to buy the house and dump 5k into a new patio immediately, but I would, if I had the money via seller's assist

So question...is it common to ask for Inspection Items to be fixed? As in, should you ALWAYS do it? Via seller's assist? I'm fine if they want to drop the price of the home instead. Am I being pigheaded in asking for the money for a new patio when it's something affecting the integrity of the home long term?

Not to mention both the AC and Heating system are well beyond their average lifespans and I'm not asking for a dollar on either of those as I realize that's something that comes with home ownership.

Input needed ASAP if possible.

You can ask for whatever you want. Can't hurt to ask. If they say no, then the decision is yours to make
Thanks.

I think my agent has grown weary of dealing with me. First of all, she's an agent in one of the most affluent suburbs of Phliadelphia and likely deals with million dollar+ listings. Something that's not in my range. I do negotiate for a living and may tend to want to negotiate everything and I think she doesn't want to invest more time into dealing with me if the seller's are uncooperative and I decide to walk away again but the patio issue is major and can cause considerable issues down the line including mold and further rotting of the wood.

I feel like I should be asking for the full monty here in seller's assist.

Can you re-work your offer of the price of the home in lieu of seller's assist? (i.e. - offer much less than the agreement you have which is contingent on said inspection)

Sorry for the bland response, lol

Thing is, I can't see a seller dumping 5 grand into the house to take care of something like that and run the risk of you backing out of the contract, then they are stuck with a house to sell and 5 grand less in the bank.

Yes, you can offer less after the inspection rather than ask the seller to fix it. The seller is going to prefer that anyway. They would rather get a lesser sale price than risk putting money into the house only to have the buyer back out last minute.

Now, that doesnt mean this particular seller will want to give in to you at all. As you said, they came down quite a bit on the price probably knowing/thinking the inspection wouldnt be perfect, which they already factored into their agreement on that price with you.

Sorry for the bland response, lol

Thing is, I can't see a seller dumping 5 grand into the house to take care of something like that and run the risk of you backing out of the contract, then they are stuck with a house to sell and 5 grand less in the bank.

Yes, you can offer less after the inspection rather than ask the seller to fix it. The seller is going to prefer that anyway. They would rather get a lesser sale price than risk putting money into the house only to have the buyer back out last minute.

Now, that doesnt mean this particular seller will want to give in to you at all. As you said, they came down quite a bit on the price probably knowing/thinking the inspection wouldnt be perfect, which they already factored into their agreement on that price with you.
Thanks GG

Guess I'm a bit jaded since the last home I had under contract was 70 years old and had considerable problems and the seller told me to pound sand after I asked for money due to the inspection report.

This house is only 18 years old and just had a brand new roof put on.

Part of the deal was they could take their appliances with them so that's been something else to add to the budget.

A good 90k due at signing between down payment and closing costs, plus a new fridge, washer and dryer and a good 8k worth of MUST fix items and this whole home buying thing has started to suck. Love the house though and love the deal I got on it.

I am buying right now actually. Set to close end of April.

The inspection turned up some things, but the only one I even considered asking the seller to do anything about was the inside and outside electrical boxes. The inside box was "double tapped and caused some scorching" which is a safety issue, and the outside box was rusty and needs replaced, and it was also a safety issue.

The seller agreed right away to have an electrician take care of both issues.

One example of another thing was a cracked window. I can't possibly ask for any sort of alteration in the contract for THAT, considering I knew it was cracked before the inspections. Little petty crap like that is just, well, petty, and your realtor and the seller might just both stop dealing with you.

Love the house though and love the deal I got on it.
If the current price and then the money you need to put in right away are still a good deal for you, then it's a good deal for you.

Like I said, if they say no to any of it, then it's your call to stay or walk.

Only thing I can think of is if you don't have the cash on hand or simply don't want to put 5-6 grand into it right away, is there a way to just switch up the price a little and have them pay some closing costs for you? You add 5 grand to the price, they pay 5 grand of closing.

We just decided to do that. After we both agreed on a price, a couple week later me and the wife talked about wanting a little extra cash on hand, so I just asked if they would be ok adding $3,000 to the sale price (assuming it did not affect their bottom line with realtor fees, which both realtors agreed for it not to), and paying $3,000 towards out closing. They agreed immediately, since it did not affect anything for them.

You can ask for whatever you want. Can't hurt to ask. If they say no, then the decision is yours to make
Thanks.

I think my agent has grown weary of dealing with me. First of all, she's an agent in one of the most affluent suburbs of Phliadelphia and likely deals with million dollar+ listings. Something that's not in my range. I do negotiate for a living and may tend to want to negotiate everything and I think she doesn't want to invest more time into dealing with me if the seller's are uncooperative and I decide to walk away again but the patio issue is major and can cause considerable issues down the line including mold and further rotting of the wood.

I feel like I should be asking for the full monty here in seller's assist.

Can you re-work your offer of the price of the home in lieu of seller's assist? (i.e. - offer much less than the agreement you have which is contingent on said inspection)
If they didn't disclose this issue, then realistically you negotiated the price for a house that is assumed to be in good condition and anything major that comes up afterwards should be fixed or credited. On the other hand, they've come down quite a lot and in their mind they may have reduced due to issues such as this.

In the end, it comes down to whether you're willing to walk. You should get the money to fix this credited to you, but that may put them below the minimum they can take to walk away. They are obligated to disclose this to future buyers, but also may not give away $37k in negotiations to future buyers.

If the current price and then the money you need to put in right away are still a good deal for you, then it's a good deal for you.

Only thing I can think of is if you don't have the cash on hand or simply don't want to put 5-6 grand into it right away, is there a way to just switch up the price a little and have them pay some closing costs for you? You add 5 grand to the price, they pay 5 grand of closing.

We just decided to do that. After we both agreed on a price, a couple week later me and the wife talked about wanting a little extra cash on hand, so I just asked if they would be ok adding $3,000 to the sale price (assuming it did not affect their bottom line with realtor fees, which both realtors agreed for it not to), and paying $3,000 towards out closing. They agreed immediately, since it did not affect anything for them.
Very cool strategy and maybe I'll look into it.

I have the capital. So I'd prefer to save the money over the 30 year mortgage than a few thousand up front, but this is another angle to get them to play ball perhaps. I dig it.

I have the capital. So I'd prefer to save the money over the 30 year mortgage than a few thousand up front, but this is another angle to get them to play ball perhaps. I dig it.
I didnt wanna do it, wife made me. She wants some new furniture (plus we always want some money in the bank). I kinda caved in on this one cause we do need some furniture, but damn it.

I didnt wanna do it, wife made me. She wants some new furniture (plus we always want some money in the bank). I kinda caved in on this one cause we do need some furniture, but damn it.
Yep

place needs new carpets. So have to do that before I move in. Lots of patching and painting. I need a dinette set, formal dining room set, formal living room set, spare bedroom set and appliances. I set aside 20,000 for these items. Every thing vital from the inspection I have to do eats into that and I wind up having to not being able to furnish the home right away in certain areas.

I have the capital, but unfortunately, most of it is in stock options and I have to play games with it to make sure I don't hit the next tax bracket (meaning I can only withdraw so much each year). Champagne problems, I guess.

Yep

place needs new carpets. So have to do that before I move in. Lots of patching and painting. I need a dinette set, formal dining room set, formal living room set, spare bedroom set and appliances. I set aside 20,000 for these items. Every thing vital from the inspection I have to do eats into that and I wind up having to not being able to furnish the home right away in certain areas.

I have the capital, but unfortunately, most of it is in stock options and I have to play games with it to make sure I don't hit the next tax bracket (meaning I can only withdraw so much each year). Champagne problems, I guess.
Maybe it was last year, but I was discussing whether or not it was even worth it to own a home rather than rent. I even looked at both ways, as in, buying a house cash, or having a mortgage with maybe 20% or less of a down payment.

Honestly, I am still not even sure which way to go. Between taxes, interest, maintenance, and the cost of buying (closing costs) and selling (realtor fees plus whatever else you need to do to get the house in showing condition), I really just don't even know.

Sure, if you stay in the same house for a lot of years it SHOULD be a good investment at the end. Can't really predict how long you will be there though. Stuff happens.

I also know someone who was renting a house, the owner foreclosed, they stayed there rent free for like a year, and then bought the house cheap from the bank.

Obviously there are pros to buying. Cons as well. All based on what you want I suppose. But it is certainly not as lucrative as it once was.

Yep

I would absolutely hammer this seller. You got the price down, what, 10%? They didn't disclose an obvious issue (to them), I guarantee there are other things your inspector missed you will be dealing with. This place is starting to sound like a fixer upper. Prepare to walk.

If your realtor doesn't want to deal with you anymore, use the sellers realtor to seal the deal (yours wont walk in the middle of a negotiation).

Got a link to the property?

Looking at buying a house that is perfect on the inside, but has pretty bad land. It is one .4 acres, but it slopes down to a very small creek. Basically there is a deep slant for about 40 feet a little bit after the slab ends. Some of the other houses on this street have built a retaining wall or done other landscaping options with varying degrees of success. Any thoughts on the risks of buying this from a resale or potential structural issues perspective?

Looking at buying a house that is perfect on the inside, but has pretty bad land. It is one .4 acres, but it slopes down to a very small creek. Basically there is a deep slant for about 40 feet a little bit after the slab ends. Some of the other houses on this street have built a retaining wall or done other landscaping options with varying degrees of success. Any thoughts on the risks of buying this from a resale or potential structural issues perspective?
Sounds like a lot of risk, hopefully a lot of risk that is factored into the price and you get it for super cheap

Sounds like a lot of risk, hopefully a lot of risk that is factored into the price and you get it for super cheap
What kind of risk though, just resale?

It is already pretty attractive from a price/sqft basis for the neighborhood. Has been on the market for several months so we'll come in atleast 10% under current list (last reduction was a few months back). Happy to PM a link if it helps any of you real estate experts.

It is already pretty attractive from a price/sqft basis for the neighborhood. Has been on the market for several months so we'll come in atleast 10% under current list (last reduction was a few months back). Happy to PM a link if it helps any of you real estate experts.
What risk? You said others on the street put up retaining walls or other things with "varying degrees of success".

For one, a retaining wall will cost money and doesnt sound cheap, so factor that into the price of the house, and I highly doubt it would add value to the home.

You said it is on "bad land". it sounds like you already realize what much of the risk is, so not sure why you need to ask me what kind of risk.

Building a retaining wall isn't cheap and it will need to be able to pass inspection for you to sell it.

Obviously at a certain price anything is a deal but without expertise in this area it's not a project I'd want to touch.

ghostguy123 said:
Slapdash said:
Looking at buying a house that is perfect on the inside, but has pretty bad land. It is on .4 acres, but it slopes down to a very small creek. Basically there is a deep slant for about 40 feet a little bit after the slab ends. Some of the other houses on this street have built a retaining wall or done other landscaping options with varying degrees of success. Any thoughts on the risks of buying this from a resale or potential structural issues perspective?

What risk? You said others on the street put up retaining walls or other things with "varying degrees of success".

For one, a retaining wall will cost money and doesnt sound cheap, so factor that into the price of the house, and I highly doubt it would add value to the home.

You said it is on "bad land". it sounds like you already realize what much of the risk is, so not sure why you need to ask me what kind of risk.
Not really interested in building a wall or anything like that myself. Mostly just trying to figure out whether the type of house I described would have foundational or other serious issues. Lack of backyard doesn't bother me at all. Just want to buy it, enjoy the awesome house, and then get rid of it when I need to. Curious if anyone in here had experience with a similar situation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The best advice I can give anyone is to hoard capital. Get them to fix the issue. If you really want the house offer to bump the sales price $2500 and add $2500 to your good faith downpayment or want ever it's called in your state.

Not really interested in building a wall or anything like that myself. Mostly just trying to figure out whether the type of house I described would have foundational or other serious issues. Lack of backyard doesn't bother me at all. Just want to buy it, enjoy the awesome house, and then get rid of it when I need to. Curious if anyone in here had experience with a similar situation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
So you want to buy a house that is seemingly in danger of falling down a hill, probably needing structural support in some capacity, and you wanna just live there for x number of years doing nothing about that, then sell?

I obviously can not see the house or any home inspection notes, but that just sounds like a terrible idea with a ton of risk.

Sounds like a really good idea to pay someone who knows this stuff and have them do a nice inspection. Someone with serious expertise in THIS, not just a general home inspector.

Anyone rent to students specifically? I have a property that I bought for under 10k. Tried to flip it for 16ish and nobody bit so I'm going to go through it now with the intent of renting it to students. If anyone has any ideas or input on modifications or feature I can offer, I'd love to here them.

Here are my initial thoughts, would love to get some input on them and other ideas somebody might have.

It is a 5 bedroom 2 or 3 bath home.

• I have the opportunity to either make a master suite off one bedroom, or I can make one huge bathroom with two entrances. If I made the big bathroom, I'd make a walk-in shower (less maintenance).
  • They will share the kitchen and living room.
  • I will install coin-op laundry.
  • Each will have their own parking space and storage locker in the basement.
  • I am going to make this an all-inclusive type of rental meaning I will cover heat, utilities, cable and wifi. (I am going to insulate all the exterior walls, replace windows)
  • USB charging ports in each bedroom.
  • Thinking tile floors through much of the house. (No carpet)
  • Huge kitchen will have a cabinets for each resident.
  • Bike rack in the back of the house.
I want to keep this house from getting too tricked out because if I can't keep it filled, I am going to resell it. (Hence the questions about a 2 or 3 bath)

I have a backyard that slopes away from the house a fair amount.

It kinda sucks. We've terraced an area for a swingset/playhouse, and that cost a fair amount of $. Large retaining walls can get pricey really quick.

One thing, where I am a retaining wall up to 30 inches does not require permitting. Check into that by you. I'm considering doing an area with about 3 or 4 small 30' walls I build myself, and then getting a projector and a pop up movie screen. Making a little outdoor movie theater for the kids during the summer months.

So you want to buy a house that is seemingly in danger of falling down a hill, probably needing structural support in some capacity, and you wanna just live there for x number of years doing nothing about that, then sell?

I obviously can not see the house or any home inspection notes, but that just sounds like a terrible idea with a ton of risk.

Sounds like a really good idea to pay someone who knows this stuff and have them do a nice inspection. Someone with serious expertise in THIS, not just a general home inspector.
I have no idea whether the house is in structural danger or not. I won't until it is under contract and we have inspections. It has been there since the 50s, so I think it is a little overblown to think it could fall down a hill...However, we fully plan to have a foundation expert come out there and check it out if we come to terms.

I have a backyard that slopes away from the house a fair amount. It kinda sucks. We've terraced an area for a swingset/playhouse, and that cost a fair amount of $. Large retaining walls can get pricey really quick. One thing, where I am a retaining wall up to 30 inches does not require permitting. Check into that by you. I'm considering doing an area with about 3 or 4 small 30' walls I build myself, and then getting a projector and a pop up movie screen. Making a little outdoor movie theater for the kids during the summer months.
Thanks Hulk. Backyard would be a concern be once we have kids in a few years, but there are a couple of parks in the neighborhood. My SO can't really be in the sun long, so we wouldn't use it much anyways. The house actually has a theater room in the basement (which is part of the reason I love it) so no need for an outside space. :)

Whats do you guys think of application fees? I like the idea as a pre-screening tool (those who have something to hide are less likely to apply if there is a fee) but I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking the money from the ones that are less likely to qualify.

Whats do you guys think of application fees? I like the idea as a pre-screening tool (those who have something to hide are less likely to apply if there is a fee) but I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking the money from the ones that are less likely to qualify.
If you telling them what you are looking for on the front end, it's on them if they flush their money down the pooper hoping their 3 prior evictions and meth conviction won't show up.

If you telling them what you are looking for on the front end, it's on them if they flush their money down the pooper hoping their 3 prior evictions and meth conviction won't show up.
Only reason I'm asking is bc I have an opening and have been taking apps. One of the apps I took threw up some flags (as in he talked about how much money he had, pays cash for cars and Harleys, owns a home about 35 miles away from work and just wants the apartment for when he doesn't feel like driving home). Just seemed like a bunch of BS. Declared $6K/mo income on app.

I just happened to be filing an eviction the next morning and decided to look up all the applicants I got over the weekend. All the others turned up nothing, his turned up a current eviction.

So it got me wondering if an application fee would deter cases like this. Would he have applied and paid with that blatant lie on the app? Or do people like this just apply to places without an app fee hoping to slip by one?

Fees are cool. Reimburse if they qualify and move in.

Problem would be taking 5 apps and fees for the same place. Probably unethical and maybe illegal??

Problem would be taking 5 apps and fees for the same place. Probably unethical and maybe illegal??
I try to schedule my showings together. So I might have 3 or 4 people fill out apps at the same time. This is my concern as well. I wouldn't know what to do with the fees for those that qualify but dont even get a chance to move in (assuming the first one that qualify and call signs a lease).

I try to schedule my showings together. So I might have 3 or 4 people fill out apps at the same time. This is my concern as well. I wouldn't know what to do with the fees for those that qualify but dont even get a chance to move in (assuming the first one that qualify and call signs a lease).
Here's how I handle it.

1) Collect as many apps as possible.

2) Eliminate any apps they don't meet the requirements without running them.

3) Pick the app with the earliest move-in date and run it. Run multiple if the move in date was the same.

4) If it meets my criteria they have 24 hours to sign a lease and pay the security deposit. If multiple chose the best one.

5) Move on to the next app if need.

6) Refund all apps fees that either met the criteria or were not run.

Here's how I handle it.

3) Pick the app with the earliest move-in date and run it. Run multiple if the move in date was the same.

4) If it meets my criteria they have 24 hours to sign a lease and pay the security deposit. If multiple chose the best one.

Thanks BNB.

At what point do you collect the app fee?

For #4 you only collect the deposit? So you "hold" the apartment for them until the move in date? I have recently stopped doing this because I've had multiple people back out after giving me a deposit.

Here's how I handle it.

Thanks BNB.

At what point do you collect the app fee?

For #4 you only collect the deposit? So you "hold" the apartment for them until the move in date? I have recently stopped doing this because I've had multiple people back out after giving me a deposit.
I collect the app fee immediately.

I'll hold up to 30 days with a signed lease and deposit. I feel like it gives me an edge with the good tenants who are living paycheck to paycheck on marginal properties or slow times. I've had two back out in 14 years and roughly 1500 leases. An owner took one to court and won 4 years later. The other we released almost instantly and had to actually return some of the deposit since we can't collect double rent. Now keep in mind I pulled credit, criminal, and eviction. Plus the deadbeats usually avoid property mgmt firms.

Good lord, 2 out of 1500???

I had someone look at the place thats for rent a few weeks ago, fill out an app with an ASAP move in date. App was approved, they paid 800 of 1150 due (575 rent and dep) on a Wed and was supposed to sign the lease and pay the balance on a Friday. They called Friday morning and said his pay got cut and they were not going to be able to take the place. I refunded everything less a few days rent, and some expenses we incurred to prepare the place to their requests (remove appliances they were bringing their own and installing a handrail somewhere completely unnecessary).

Also, not very long ago I had someone fill out an app, got approved paid the deposit and never called to sign the lease despite me calling and leaving numerous messages, texts, etc. After 30 days I rented the place to someone else. She then called and asked for her deposit back.

Same timeframe as above I took a deposit from a couple (mistake here was that it was a check), supposed to sign a few days later (they had just lost the place they were staying to a fire). They never called to sign. I ended up getting a hold of them after a few days and they said they found someplace else. I told them they were on the hook until I got it rented and I would refund the remainder of the deposit. They did not agree with this and called the bank and cancelled the check. After it had cleared my account.

Bottom line is while I'm sure this has worked more than it hasn't for me, when it doesn't work out it puts me in a very bad position. I have started telling the people I approve to call me when they have $X and if the place is still available we can sign a lease.

I had someone look at the place thats for rent a few weeks ago, fill out an app with an ASAP move in date. App was approved, they paid 800 of 1150 due (575 rent and dep) on a Wed and was supposed to sign the lease and pay the balance on a Friday. They called Friday morning and said his pay got cut and they were not going to be able to take the place. I refunded everything less a few days rent, and some expenses we incurred to prepare the place to their requests (remove appliances they were bringing their own and installing a handrail somewhere completely unnecessary).

Also, not very long ago I had someone fill out an app, got approved paid the deposit and never called to sign the lease despite me calling and leaving numerous messages, texts, etc. After 30 days I rented the place to someone else. She then called and asked for her deposit back.

Same timeframe as above I took a deposit from a couple (mistake here was that it was a check), supposed to sign a few days later (they had just lost the place they were staying to a fire). They never called to sign. I ended up getting a hold of them after a few days and they said they found someplace else. I told them they were on the hook until I got it rented and I would refund the remainder of the deposit. They did not agree with this and called the bank and cancelled the check. After it had cleared my account.

Bottom line is while I'm sure this has worked more than it hasn't for me, when it doesn't work out it puts me in a very bad position. I have started telling the people I approve to call me when they have $X and if the place is still available we can sign a lease.
I can understand that. I takes all types and you seem to be getting more than your fair share. Got do what works best for you.

By the way, I think you would lose in court if you kept a security deposit without having a signed lease unless you had some type of binder clause in your application. I have people try to give me money all the time and I just tell them to keep it until they return the the signed lease. That's probably easier for me since I have online payment options and application and can conduct transactions remotely.

I can understand that. I takes all types and you seem to be getting more than your fair share. Got do what works best for you.

By the way, I think you would lose in court if you kept a security deposit without having a signed lease unless you had some type of binder clause in your application. I have people try to give me money all the time and I just tell them to keep it until they return the the signed lease. That's probably easier for me since I have online payment options and application and can conduct transactions remotely.
I think my stuff and tenants may be a little lower end than yours, and that may be one reason I get more wishy washy people than you. Or maybe its something I'm doing wrong. I'm certainly re-evaluating my screening/deposit/lease signing process.

While I have no idea if it would hold water in court (Ohio and esp the county I work in seems to be pretty LL friendly), I do have the following at the bottom of my app:

"I understand that my deposit may be applied toward the rent loss if this application is approved and I am unable to fulfill the conditions of the occupancy."

Users who are viewing this thread