What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight. (1 Viewer)

It's a good burger, IMO very good fries, but it is over priced. Knock off a buck from the price, and it's far better than the other fast food joints. The free peanuts are cool. Yes, they are greasy, and take out means a soggy bun, but overall, still better than a Wendies or MD's. Freshly cooked bacon is a plus, and the additional toppings are fresh, unlike the national chains.

I'd say a dollar too expensive, but what the heck, it's a dollar. Costs me over $100 to fill my F-150 up at the gas station. Perspective....

It's a good burger, IMO very good fries, but it is over priced. Knock off a buck from the price, and it's far better than the other fast food joints. The free peanuts are cool. Yes, they are greasy, and take out means a soggy bun, but overall, still better than a Wendies or MD's. Freshly cooked bacon is a plus, and the additional toppings are fresh, unlike the national chains. I'd say a dollar too expensive, but what the heck, it's a dollar. Costs me over $100 to fill my F-150 up at the gas station. Perspective....
You couldn't pay me to eat at Wendy's or McD's. So you might think it's $1 too expensive.....but I would easily pay double for Five Guys (vs McD's, etc).

It's a good burger, IMO very good fries, but it is over priced. Knock off a buck from the price, and it's far better than the other fast food joints. The free peanuts are cool. Yes, they are greasy, and take out means a soggy bun, but overall, still better than a Wendies or MD's. Freshly cooked bacon is a plus, and the additional toppings are fresh, unlike the national chains. I'd say a dollar too expensive, but what the heck, it's a dollar. Costs me over $100 to fill my F-150 up at the gas station. Perspective....
You couldn't pay me to eat at Wendy's or McD's. So you might think it's $1 too expensive.....but I would easily pay double for Five Guys (vs McD's, etc).
:goodposting: McD's et al is NOT real food. I can eat more at Five Guys than McD's and not feel like crap.

You can't walk into 5 guys in Charlotte and get a Cheeseburger "All The Way" (NC Style) Which is Chili, Mustard, Slaw, and Onions.Truly, a culinary masterpiece, when done correctly.
You also can't walk into a 5 Guys and get a pizza.
Why would one go into 5 guys for a Pizza?
Why would one go into a national chain for a local delicacy?
I am a little disappointed Five Guys does not have a Maryland crab cake sandwich :hot:

They just opened one of these by me.

I liked it ok, next time I will eat it fresh in the restaurant instead of getting it to go and eating at home.

Seemed expensive, I have had better Bar burgers in local dive bars.

Hmmm 5 Guys recently opened where I live.I've done take out twice and never had a soggy bun.Maybe it was the toppings choice differences?Fries are good, if they were left in a little longer they would be even better.The next time I go, I'll ask if they can leave some in longer, probably not but, it can't hurt to ask.Burger is hands down better than Mc Donalds or Wendy's and I liked it better than Backyard Burgers.

Last edited by a moderator:
for those who do not like the fries - please list a place whose fries you do like.(so I can tell you how wrong you are)
Rally's/Checker's fries DESTROY 5 guy fries. They are horrible. I like my fries crispy. Not soggy limp #### pieces of crap.

All this talk is setting me up for going there for lunch. I like Five Guys a lot. Not the best hamburger in the world, of course, but for fast food, it is perfect. Also, I really like the fries, not sure I have ever had soggy ones, but I would definitely want them over McD's.

On fries, I would say my favorite fast food ones are Zaxby's. Love the crinkle fries, especially with their sauce. Five Guys cajun fries are almost as good.

for those who do not like the fries - please list a place whose fries you do like.(so I can tell you how wrong you are)
McDonalds fries destroy 5 guys
After watching the bonus features on "Super Size Me", I refuse to ever eat McDonald's fries again.
You needed the bonus features to decide that? Never saw them, what did I miss?
They got a big mac and fries from mcdonalds and a hamburger and fries from some place that makes them handmade and put them all under glass to watch them decompose. Within a day, the homemade stuff was looking kinda bad. Big mac lasted about a week before it showed signs of decomposition (mold on the bun if I recall) the McDonald's fries lasted over 6 weeks and still looked brand new.

After watching the bonus features on "Super Size Me", I refuse to ever eat McDonald's fries again.
They got a big mac and fries from mcdonalds and a hamburger and fries from some place that makes them handmade and put them all under glass to watch them decompose. Within a day, the homemade stuff was looking kinda bad. Big mac lasted about a week before it showed signs of decomposition (mold on the bun if I recall) the McDonald's fries lasted over 6 weeks and still looked brand new.
Thanks. I think I recall a website dedicated to that zombie Big Mac 'n' fries.

You can't walk into 5 guys in Charlotte and get a Cheeseburger "All The Way" (NC Style) Which is Chili, Mustard, Slaw, and Onions.Truly, a culinary masterpiece, when done correctly.
I am a little disappointed Five Guys does not have a Maryland crab cake sandwich :hot:
I'm not surprised that you think that you could.

Because others do. It's quite a common practice.Furthermore, 5 Guys Burgers and Fries prides itself on all their unlimited helpings of toppings.

The 5 Guys fries were too limp and mushy for their thickness. The interior was close to raw. They should preferably be cut thinner and crisped more.

The 5 Guys fries were too limp and mushy for their thickness. The interior was close to raw. They should preferably be cut thinner and crisped more.
That's exactly how they were the 2 times I was there, freaking nasty. Potato strips soaked in grease.Sheets has better fries than five guys, burgers and fries.

Because others do. It's quite a common practice.Furthermore, 5 Guys Burgers and Fries prides itself on all their unlimited helpings of toppings.
A Mounds bar is not a topping. A Twizzler is not a topping. A Jolly Rancher is not a topping, sir. Perhaps in Shangra-la they are, but not here.

Went there for lunch today for the first time.

I think the fact that you can customize your burger toppings is pretty cool. I ordered the Little Bacon Cheeseburger with grilled onions & tomato (I didn't want to mask the taste of the actual burger too much with sauces) and a small order of regular fries.

The burger was good, not fantastic, but it's a good burger. The bun was fine and not soggy. Good portion size for a "Little" burger.

For $4.29 ($5.09 w/bacon) I'll take a $3.15 Double Double every time. Just as much burger at a good price.

Fries are difficult to judge because preferences vary widely. Some like thick steak fries with a tender center, some like crispy shoestring fries. I fall closer to the latter category. Five Guys fries are not as thick as steak fries but they are bigger than shoe string, which leaves a lot more variability from fry to fry. Overall I found them to be too soggy for my taste, but there were a few real gems with a crispy crunch and a soft (but not too soft) middle. If they could make them all like that I would look upon them more favorably.

All told I was in for $8.47 (would have been $7.67 without the bacon).

Final analysis: It's an above average fast food burger experience compared to the traditional McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr set but IMO the quality of the burger and fries falls well short of In-N-Out and when you factor in the premium you pay for the burger (you are looking at $2 minimum, without factoring in a drink) it's simply not worth it.

Final analysis: It's an above average fast food burger experience compared to the traditional McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr set but IMO the quality of the burger and fries falls well short of In-N-Out and when you factor in the premium you pay for the burger (you are looking at $2 minimum, without factoring in a drink) it's simply not worth it.
I find it worth it because in South Florida, we just don't have some of the other options that were mentioned. If I had access to In-N-Out or whatever Fast/Medium food options mentioned, I may agree. Five Guys is probably the best quick burger I can get in the immediate vicinity but then again, I can't vouch for every other place in Miami that serves burgers. I know that I have read about numerous places in South Beach/Miami Beach that specialize in burgers but for me, a burger is usually not a destination food. It's a "what's available within a 5-10 minute drive of my house" kind of food.

I find it worth it because in South Florida, we just don't have some of the other options that were mentioned. If I had access to In-N-Out or whatever Fast/Medium food options mentioned, I may agree. Five Guys is probably the best quick burger I can get in the immediate vicinity but then again, I can't vouch for every other place in Miami that serves burgers. I know that I have read about numerous places in South Beach/Miami Beach that specialize in burgers but for me, a burger is usually not a destination food. It's a "what's available within a 5-10 minute drive of my house" kind of food.
$7.67 is the cheapest you are getting out of there for (Little Burger and small fries), that price point is just too high for what they are delivering. Since a burger isn't a destination meal, I am sure there are better non burger options to spend your meal money.

for those who do not like the fries - please list a place whose fries you do like.

(so I can tell you how wrong you are)
Now that's American quality!

$7.67 is the cheapest you are getting out of there for (Little Burger and small fries)
skip the fries and eat all the free peanuts you want. grab a water if you need something to help wash it down. :lmao: at everyone complaining about the price. order less if you don't want to pay that much. who is forcing people to buy the fries?

$7.67 is the cheapest you are getting out of there for (Little Burger and small fries), that price point is just too high for what they are delivering. Since a burger isn't a destination meal, I am sure there are better non burger options to spend your meal money.
Oh sure, but if I want a burger, I'll probably shoot the lock off of my wallet :rolleyes: for the extra buck and think of Five Guys first.

If you're taking the whole thing home...you can't wrap the bag up real tight. You need to leave it open. The heat and humidity in the bag can make the fries soggy.

skip the fries and eat all the free peanuts you want. grab a water if you need something to help wash it down. :lmao: at everyone complaining about the price. order less if you don't want to pay that much. who is forcing people to buy the fries?
An apples-to-apples comparison is appropriate, no? If burger+fries+soda cost $X at 5 Guys vs. $Y at In-N-Out, that's the point. Unless you want a lot of posts that read "You can only get a burger at 5 Guys for the price you pay for a burger, fries, and soda everywhere else."

Five Guys opened up last month at the mall 2 miles from my home. I might do the online order thing and shell out $12 just to see what the fuss is about.

An apples-to-apples comparison is appropriate, no? If burger+fries+soda cost $X at 5 Guys vs. $Y at In-N-Out, that's the point. Unless you want a lot of posts that read "You can only get a burger at 5 Guys for the price you pay for a burger, fries, and soda everywhere else."
You think 5 guys vs InNOut is comparing apples to apples?

tough to compare chains when they aren't both available in most of the same areas.if you count gas, a burger at In N Out might cost me a few hundred dollars and take many hours to pick it up.if you have both, pick your favorite. both make good burgers. most of us don't get to choose between the two though.

:lmao:

Substitute any other restaurant in there if you like. Point was if we're comparing prices, why not compare the prices of the same items?

:lmao:Substitute any other restaurant in there if you like. Point was if we're comparing prices, why not compare the prices of the same items?
that's kind of the point. there isn't a national chain you can substitute that makes a better burger for the price.with 750+ locations in 40 states and much of Canada, I'm guessing the price points they picked are working pretty well for them.:shrug:tough to compete with a much smaller, regional chain. In-n-out is awesome too.

An apples-to-apples comparison is appropriate, no? If burger+fries+soda cost $X at 5 Guys vs. $Y at Restaurant Whatever, that's the point. Unless you want a lot of posts that read "You can only get a burger at 5 Guys for the price you pay for a burger, fries, and soda everywhere else."
Fixed. Happy now hamburger nerds?

$7.67 is the cheapest you are getting out of there for (Little Burger and small fries)
A burger without fries? Take that crazy talk back to Russia.

You think 5 guys vs InNOut is comparing apples to apples?
Of course not. Five Guys can't handle that level of competition.

Oh sure, but if I want a burger, I'll probably shoot the lock off of my wallet :rolleyes: for the extra buck and think of Five Guys first.
I am talking about relative price, not absolute price.$7.67 isn't an expensive meal, but if you can get an equal, or better, meal for $4.85 doesn't that make sense?

Ive never had the soggy fries when Ive been there. I havent gone to often, but I always go at non-peak hours when the line isnt gonna be 10 people and theyre pulling the fries out earlier than if they werent busy. Plus, the cajun fries are also bomb.

I find the burger to be a little overpriced, which is why I'll just get a regular fry, walk out for under $3, and still be full.

Users who are viewing this thread