What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Browns trade RB Suggs to Jets (2 Viewers)

I can't imagine Suggs doing anything with this opportunity. He's had more than enough chances to show he could be a starting RB in the NFL while in Cleveland and has not been able to get the job done. If I owned Suggs I would trade him right now to the highest bidder.I think it's also a disappointment for Chris Brown owners, who thought he might end up with the starting gig in New York. His agent wants a trade or a contract extension and I see him getting neither.Last, I think this is just more proof that the Jets dropped the ball by not locking up Lamont Jordan the year before he went to free agency, when he wanted to be assured that he would be the guy when CMart left. Jets did a horrendous job of evaluating their own talent. This team is a mess.
Not this nonsense agian! The Jets DID NOT want to lose Jordan. He was an FA, and they had way too much money tied up in Martin to give Jordan the contract that Oakland gave him.... what was it, a 10 mil bonus and 5 mil a year or something? Jordan wanted OUT. He wanted to get out from under Martin. He wasn't about to sign for what a backup RB gets... NO WAY. There was very little the Jets could have done, unless Herman the genius Edwards let him on the field more often. Suggs may or may not work out, but Blaylock will be the odd man out. He and Washington are similar, but Washington is faster and has more wiggle, based on the now 7 TC practices I've been to. BTW, Washington was getting most of the first team snaps today, with Ramsey at QB.

I think they're just trying to part out Suggs and Martin; they should be able to get one working running back between the two of them. And if they're lucky, there will be an extra left shoulder they can install at QB.

1. LJ2. LT23. SA4. Tiki5. Suggs6. Portis (inj.)
sounds about right to me.
:rant: Where's Reggie Bush? :rant: ;)
7. Bush8. Betts
9. Wali Lundy
10. Ron Bell
11. Mike Bell :unsure:
12. Art Bell. :ph34r:
13. Todd Bell :ph34r: 14. Ricky Bell :bag: 15. George Bell :bag: 16. Liberty Bell :bag:

I can't imagine Suggs doing anything with this opportunity. He's had more than enough chances to show he could be a starting RB in the NFL while in Cleveland and has not been able to get the job done. If I owned Suggs I would trade him right now to the highest bidder.I think it's also a disappointment for Chris Brown owners, who thought he might end up with the starting gig in New York. His agent wants a trade or a contract extension and I see him getting neither.Last, I think this is just more proof that the Jets dropped the ball by not locking up Lamont Jordan the year before he went to free agency, when he wanted to be assured that he would be the guy when CMart left. Jets did a horrendous job of evaluating their own talent. This team is a mess.
Not this nonsense agian! The Jets DID NOT want to lose Jordan. He was an FA, and they had way too much money tied up in Martin to give Jordan the contract that Oakland gave him.... what was it, a 10 mil bonus and 5 mil a year or something? Jordan wanted OUT. He wanted to get out from under Martin. He wasn't about to sign for what a backup RB gets... NO WAY. There was very little the Jets could have done, unless Herman the genius Edwards let him on the field more often. Suggs may or may not work out, but Blaylock will be the odd man out. He and Washington are similar, but Washington is faster and has more wiggle, based on the now 7 TC practices I've been to. BTW, Washington was getting most of the first team snaps today, with Ramsey at QB.
Let me add to this.Jordan was tired of being promised by Village Idiot Edwards, each year, that he'd see more time. Edwards went into each offseason, promising Jordan more playing time, providing Martin with more rest, and yet, come regular season, Martin would be run tino the ground.The only time Jordan got significant run was a game at Cleveland, when Jordan came and ran off some big runs to seal the win, a game that NY came back and won in 2004. Had Edwards and co. not gone back on promises to Jordan, he might have stayed. The problem, though, was that Pennington was also looking at free agency, as well as Shaun Ellis, Kareem McKenzie and John Abraham. Management knew they could not afford to keep everyone.Face it, Jordan was a goner. Given Martin's durability(and fact that he had won a rushing title) and the fact that otehr high profile, important players were staring at free agency, the Jets had to make a hard decision and let Lamont go. Supposedly they did offer him a very attractive deal, but the Oakland deal+starting role were more attractive.

wow so you guys haven't figured out who's the lock to start for 16 games yet? Rovers, interesting point about Blaylock. The only thing I could see working in his favor prior to the trade was being a vet. Now that Suggs has been traded I guess that value is gone.

I think they're just trying to part out Suggs and Martin; they should be able to get one working running back between the two of them. And if they're lucky, there will be an extra left shoulder they can install at QB.
This might be true. If you believe the story about Martin telling the Jets to draft a RB in April, some could view that as a sign that Martin didn't think very highly of Houston or Blaylock. Then the Jets selected Washington in the fourth round. Then the Jets traded for Suggs.It's certainly possible that the Jets are banking on Martin or Suggs. But I just asked my brother, an equally big Jets fan, and he agreed with me that there's not a player on the roster that's more than 50% likely to rush for 500 yards this year.

There is no reason for someone who'll be drooling over Kevin Jones this year to not be excited with Suggs chances at NYJ. After all they drafted a mean tackle and thier OL on paper looks a lot better than what CLE has best to offer. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts and ends up top 15 RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
doesn't suggs have some sort of spinal condition? stentosis or something? a narrowing of the spinal column or something? and it makes him more susceptible to stingers and some other injuries? did i read this somewhere?

There is no reason for someone who'll be drooling over Kevin Jones this year to not be excited with Suggs chances at NYJ. After all they drafted a mean tackle and thier OL on paper looks a lot better than what CLE has best to offer. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts and ends up top 15 RB.
That's not much of a standard, though. There's not a single RB last year that started 16 games and didn't rank in the top 15.

doesn't suggs have some sort of spinal condition? stentosis or something? a narrowing of the spinal column or something? and it makes him more susceptible to stingers and some other injuries? did i read this somewhere?
He's got cervical stenosis.

suggs has talent but will never be healthy, he hasn't been since entering the nfl. its not like he's walking into a good situation; the jets have no qb, barely any wr's and, have been a graveyard for te's

as a DD owner i would not suggest relying on suggs, it will be painful.. trust me

You guys act like Portis broke his neck. He will only miss 3-4 weeks and be back strong.

1. LJ

2. LT2

3. SA

4. Tiki

5. Suggs

6. Portis (inj.)

:rant: Where's Reggie Bush? :rant:

;)

7. Bush

8. Betts

9. Wali Lundy

15 sdg | 21 105 | -2 | 0 || 16 mia | 38 143 | 4 | 0 || 17 hou | 26 131 | 23 | 0 |Looking at these three weeks alone mean this is a very good trade for the Jets... Suggs offers something they don't currently have at RB... Explosiveness and potential...He may amount to nothing but going up against mediocre backs in NY means he has a real shot if he can stay healthy.
sadly, i think he will be remembered as Lee "If He Could Stay Healthy" Suggs.
:goodposting: To trade for Suggs because you have an rb1 that isn't healthy is stupefying.

Clinton Portis just breathed a huge sigh of relief. The threat of Suggs coming in to replace him has been averted.

Rovers said:
nathanbalboa said:
Martin only had a $10M bonus on his 2002 contract and had already played 3 years of the deal. The Jets could have (and IMO at the time should have) traded him after the 2004 season, taken the cap hit and signed Jordan. Martin was old, despite coming off a great season, and anyone who watched Jordan knew that had the ability to be a starting back. The Jets simply made a huge mistake and are now paying for it.

Jordan was not going to sign with the Jets - they actually gave him a very good offer. He wanted to be a starter - not to mention Herm promised him a lot more carries the year before FA and didn't deliver.

Curtis was coming off a career year - can't kill the JEts for that one - Dwayne Robertson though......

nathanbalboa said:
I can't imagine Suggs doing anything with this opportunity. He's had more than enough chances to show he could be a starting RB in the NFL while in Cleveland and has not been able to get the job done. If I owned Suggs I would trade him right now to the highest bidder.
As well, Doesn't Suggs have a spinal condition? I can't remember the medical term for it. In dynasty leagues, he has always been a player that I refuse to draft.

zoos said:
That's it.

Jordan was not going to sign with the Jets - they actually gave him a very good offer. He wanted to be a starter - not to mention Herm promised him a lot more carries the year before FA and didn't deliver. Curtis was coming off a career year - can't kill the JEts for that one - Dwayne Robertson though......
A good GM makes those tough calls and the Jets GM couldn't. It was a mistake any way you look at it and I said so at the time. They were in a situation where the smart move was to trade the older player and re-sign the young stud. Jordan wanted to stay with the Jets, but they wanted to keep Marting and wouldn't pay Jordan starter money so he left. I don't care if Martin was coming off his best season or not - he was turning 32 in 2005 and had a year or two left at best.

wannabee said:
joffer said:
does the title of this thread keep changing or am i losing it? :unsure:
the threads were combined
That sucks and it is confusingAnyway. The Jets still stink, so I wouldn't expect too much from any Jets RB. Suggs and Pennington can keep each other company on the IR. :yes:

wannabee said:
joffer said:
does the title of this thread keep changing or am i losing it? :unsure:
the threads were combined
That sucks and it is confusingAnyway. The Jets still stink, so I wouldn't expect too much from any Jets RB. Suggs and Pennington can keep each other company on the IR. :yes:
Yet another person with an irrational Jet franchise hatred.... must take a lot of time to be like that. Well, have fun with it.

nathanbalboa said:
I can't imagine Suggs doing anything with this opportunity. He's had more than enough chances to show he could be a starting RB in the NFL while in Cleveland and has not been able to get the job done. If I owned Suggs I would trade him right now to the highest bidder.
As well, Doesn't Suggs have a spinal condition? I can't remember the medical term for it. In dynasty leagues, he has always been a player that I refuse to draft.
Spinal Stenosis :hey:

Looks like Mr. William Green ran Lee "Gimpy" Suggs out of town for good. Suggs was always a wanna-be. Don't let the door hit your ### on the way out, boy.
Yes, that and the Browns determined William Green could not even be traded for a bag of potato chips.
I heard Butch Davis was looking for a guy to carry his luggage on trips to NFL Network shows...Seriously, they couldn't find any servicable OL help for Suggs???Browns fans (myself included) get ready for :ph34r:

Jordan was fine backing-up early on and would have signed a contract extension the year before hitting free agency. He just wanted to be guranteed the starting job when CMart was gone.
None of that is true.
It amazes me what people will post as absolute truth around here.
i'm always amazed by people that "know" the truth, yet don't tell anyone... :popcorn:
They have this new thing called Google if you're all that interested in rehashing why LaMont Jordan left the Jets for the Raiders. It's better than making up reasons off the cuff. Or people could just continue to hijack this thread...

Rovers said:
nathanbalboa said:
Nonsense again-that's how I'd characterize some of the contract negotiations and other BS with Abraham who is a FalconBlaylock-I have some friends that completely agree with you that he's "done"

This might be true. If you believe the story about Martin telling the Jets to draft a RB in April, some could view that as a sign that Martin didn't think very highly of Houston or Blaylock. Then the Jets selected Washington in the fourth round. Then the Jets traded for Suggs.It's certainly possible that the Jets are banking on Martin or Suggs. But I just asked my brother, an equally big Jets fan, and he agreed with me that there's not a player on the roster that's more than 50% likely to rush for 500 yards this year.
Well as long as you and your brother say so :rolleyes:

Well as long as you and your brother say so :rolleyes:
Some families follow one specific team and debate em' all day long+ "make a day of it" going to camp. I don't mind those guys adding their thoughts to the discussion.One thing I think Jet fans gotta realize is they've been watching a HOFer for years. Most RBs would look worse than Martin in there now. If they are well aware of that(many are) then I'd like to hear their opinion here+look forward to it.

Nigel Tufnel said:
dgreen said:
Mungo Burrows said:
7. Bush8. Betts
9. Wali Lundy
10. Ron Bell
13. Todd Bell :ph34r: 14. Ricky Bell :bag: 15. George Bell :bag: 16. Liberty Bell :bag:
17. Taco Bell

Nigel Tufnel said:
dgreen said:
Mungo Burrows said:
7. Bush8. Betts
9. Wali Lundy
10. Ron Bell
17. Taco Bell
No Dumping in the Shark Pool

In dynasty leagues, someone in your league has probably been sitting on Suggs for awhile hoping his situation would improve so he could get some value. In redraft leagues, its probably a "Mike Bell-like" stampede to the waiver wire to pick him up.

The general consesus on Suggs has always been "he can be a very good back" with the asterisk of course being "if he can stay healthy". With Lee that's a very big "if".

I can certainlly imagine a scenario where Suggs starts all year for the Jets and proves quite valuable. I can also imagine a scenario where he gets dinged up as in past seasons with the Browns.

If you're thin at RB, Suggs can probably be had cheaply. If you're a Lee Suggs owner, and you expect more of the same from him, than the time to sell is now.

So what do you think: Lee Suggs - buy or sell? And at what price?

I say hold for now. Too early of a sell, not enough trust with his injury history and those games in late 2004 are a distant memory for many folks. Need him to look sharp in camp and have a nice pre-season game or two.

As a Suggs owner, I'm just going to hold onto him. He's not going to get you much still right now, has an opportunity with a new team and may actually prove he is worth something. What do I have to lose with him sitting on my bench as the number 5 rb on my team.....not much? But if he starts off hot.....well.......then I may go fishing.

Users who are viewing this thread