What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 Rookie Draft Picks (1 Viewer)

Just looked at highlights of all the RB's(via youtube)-Steve Slaton is the clearcut #1 guy-he has more speed than anyone, can juke and has a thick lower body-McFadden seems stiff but can still turn the corner but has some power at times(think he could get hit alot in the NFL without agility)-Ray Rice doesn't have the speed, however with RBBC he can suceed.-I like James Davis he has all the tools except unbelievable speed like the first two.-We will learn more about Jamaal Charles this season but he has amazing tools(pretty light though)
Charles is easily the fastest out of all these... yes, not as quick, but faster than Slaton.

Just looked at highlights of all the RB's(via youtube)-Steve Slaton is the clearcut #1 guy-he has more speed than anyone, can juke and has a thick lower body-McFadden seems stiff but can still turn the corner but has some power at times(think he could get hit alot in the NFL without agility)-Ray Rice doesn't have the speed, however with RBBC he can suceed.-I like James Davis he has all the tools except unbelievable speed like the first two.-We will learn more about Jamaal Charles this season but he has amazing tools(pretty light though)
Charles is easily the fastest out of all these... yes, not as quick, but faster than Slaton.
Yes, Charles is an NCAA level hurdler. In football, he is one of those players who just glides and does not look as fast he is until you look up and he has our run the angle.

Just looked at highlights of all the RB's(via youtube)-Steve Slaton is the clearcut #1 guy-he has more speed than anyone, can juke and has a thick lower body-McFadden seems stiff but can still turn the corner but has some power at times(think he could get hit alot in the NFL without agility)
Things I'm leery of with Steve Slaton at the next level...~ Undersized: 5-9, 195lbs (and I don't think he has the build to add much more weight)~ Not an elite recruit out of High School (I believe Maryland pulled his scholarship and gave it to some other no name)~ Runs in a gimmicky spread option type offense that doesn't correlate well to the NFL (when your QB is running for 100+ yds per game on a regular basis that raises some concerns of how good the RB really needs to be to look good and put up #'s.)Darren McFadden on the other hand has the frame to add more muscle to his already 212lb frame (I'd expect him to be around 220lbs by the time he's in the NFL). McFadden's strength is running between the tackles (vision) combined with both power and excellent speed which translates perfectly to the NFL. He's already shown to be an extraordinary athlete with decent receiving skills as well as the ability to pass the ball if necessary ala the way LaDainian Tomlinson is utilized. And to top it off he was coming off of toe surgery which was expected to keep him sidelined for the first few games of this past season, so he wasn't even 100% for most of the year and still dominated games.Don't get me wrong, I do like Slaton and believe he'll be the #2RB in the Draft next year, but feel McFadden will be the better talent (and higher drafted) RB in the NFL.

Just looked at highlights of all the RB's(via youtube)-Steve Slaton is the clearcut #1 guy-he has more speed than anyone, can juke and has a thick lower body-McFadden seems stiff but can still turn the corner but has some power at times(think he could get hit alot in the NFL without agility)
Things I'm leery of with Steve Slaton at the next level...~ Undersized: 5-9, 195lbs (and I don't think he has the build to add much more weight)~ Not an elite recruit out of High School (I believe Maryland pulled his scholarship and gave it to some other no name)~ Runs in a gimmicky spread option type offense that doesn't correlate well to the NFL (when your QB is running for 100+ yds per game on a regular basis that raises some concerns of how good the RB really needs to be to look good and put up #'s.)Darren McFadden on the other hand has the frame to add more muscle to his already 212lb frame (I'd expect him to be around 220lbs by the time he's in the NFL). McFadden's strength is running between the tackles (vision) combined with both power and excellent speed which translates perfectly to the NFL. He's already shown to be an extraordinary athlete with decent receiving skills as well as the ability to pass the ball if necessary ala the way LaDainian Tomlinson is utilized. And to top it off he was coming off of toe surgery which was expected to keep him sidelined for the first few games of this past season, so he wasn't even 100% for most of the year and still dominated games.Don't get me wrong, I do like Slaton and believe he'll be the #2RB in the Draft next year, but feel McFadden will be the better talent (and higher drafted) RB in the NFL.
McFadden has Adrian Peterson type-talent... and if they utlize his passing skills like L.T. ... :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated w/ aposulli's latest list as well as my own Top 12 in an actual draft.

Olson is still my #1 guy as my UCLA friend still proclaims him THE QB in this draft and should eventually grade out in Carson Palmers' range.

Who knows what Brohm's gonna do now that Petrino is gone?

Looks to be an absolute banner year for RBs, but I don't think it's going to be this much quality talent as some of those underclassmen should be advised to wait for '09.

Updated w/ aposulli's latest list as well as my own Top 12 in an actual draft.Olson is still my #1 guy as my UCLA friend still proclaims him THE QB in this draft and should eventually grade out in Carson Palmers' range.Who knows what Brohm's gonna do now that Petrino is gone?Looks to be an absolute banner year for RBs, but I don't think it's going to be this much quality talent as some of those underclassmen should be advised to wait for '09.
:banned: Except the fact that I sense a little homerism from your friend. :banned:

Updated w/ aposulli's latest list as well as my own Top 12 in an actual draft.Olson is still my #1 guy as my UCLA friend still proclaims him THE QB in this draft and should eventually grade out in Carson Palmers' range.Who knows what Brohm's gonna do now that Petrino is gone?Looks to be an absolute banner year for RBs, but I don't think it's going to be this much quality talent as some of those underclassmen should be advised to wait for '09.
:thumbup: Except the fact that I sense a little homerism from your friend. :loco:
Olson was the top rated HS QB before he went on his two year mission. He could definitely impress during pre-draft workouts.

McFadden has Adrian Peterson type-talent... and if they utlize his passing skills like L.T. ... :thumbup:
:ptts: I agree with you guys on McFadden. His exceptional talent plus the potential to be used in several facets of the game - running, receiving, passing - makes him the clear #1 pick for 2008 in my opnion. I like Slaton, but he seems like a guy that translates to particular systems (one-cut, zone blocking, spread) while McFadden can run you over and/or run by you in just about any system.

What do you think about the Kentucky QB Woodson?
I think he's being rated way too low. I expect him to be to Brohm what Russell was to Quinn and Young was to Leinart. If Brohm slips up like Quinn and Leinart did, Woodson is capable of playing himself right into the #1 overall QB in next year's draft. I like Brohm more than most and rank Woodson 2nd right now. Ben Olson could leap them both. He has John Elway's skillset, but I'm hearing strange insinuations from those I still know at UCLA (no direct football associations mind you, just professors and such). Also nothing has been said directly. I have had three conversations with two different very strong Bruin fans who work for the school that have made it sound like Ben may have other long term interests, and isn't happy with the small QB controversy brewing in Bruin country. Anyway, I saw aposulli respond to your question by ranking Woodson 13th. I needed to pimp this kid. I like Brennan, Henne and Ainge fine, but I'd take Woodson in a heartbeat and I suspect some NFL team will too.

I think he's being rated way too low. I expect him to be to Brohm what Russell was to Quinn and Young was to Leinart. If Brohm slips up like Quinn and Leinart did, Woodson is capable of playing himself right into the #1 overall QB in next year's draft. I like Brohm more than most and rank Woodson 2nd right now. Ben Olson could leap them both. He has John Elway's skillset, but I'm hearing strange insinuations from those I still know at UCLA (no direct football associations mind you, just professors and such). Also nothing has been said directly. I have had three conversations with two different very strong Bruin fans who work for the school that have made it sound like Ben may have other long term interests, and isn't happy with the small QB controversy brewing in Bruin country. Anyway, I saw aposulli respond to your question by ranking Woodson 13th. I needed to pimp this kid. I like Brennan, Henne and Ainge fine, but I'd take Woodson in a heartbeat and I suspect some NFL team will too.
Rankings are obviously very flawed. I saw Woodson play once but I was paynig more attention to Rafael Little and was not impressed much with either.If anything's true, it's that some things will change drastically as we all know many players fail to live up to their talent/hype (see Ken Darby, Ben Olson, etc)...looking forward to updating my rankings frequently through '07!

Anyway, I saw aposulli respond to your question by ranking Woodson 13th. I needed to pimp this kid. I like Brennan, Henne and Ainge fine, but I'd take Woodson in a heartbeat and I suspect some NFL team will too.
Rankings are obviously very flawed.
Yep., but please don't let a few criticisms discourage you. I think you're providing solid content for discussion, and we all miss someone or didn't see everything. At least I don't get the feeling you rip off some rankings elsewhere and tweak them. I'm inclined to ignore this thread until next October as far as trying to rank players because it's so early. But the topic is always interesting and somebody has to do it. You da man for the job.Also, I think Sam Keller is a bum. :yes: :D

Also, I think Sam Keller is a bum. :yes: :D
I know you didn't think this one was sliding by me. You're going down CC! :boxing: :D

By all accounts Keller looked great this year running the Nebraska scout team against the 1st team defense. We'll see how it plays out on the field next year.

Anyway, I saw aposulli respond to your question by ranking Woodson 13th. I needed to pimp this kid. I like Brennan, Henne and Ainge fine, but I'd take Woodson in a heartbeat and I suspect some NFL team will too.
Rankings are obviously very flawed.
Yep., but please don't let a few criticisms discourage you. I think you're providing solid content for discussion, and we all miss someone or didn't see everything. At least I don't get the feeling you rip off some rankings elsewhere and tweak them. I'm inclined to ignore this thread until next October as far as trying to rank players because it's so early. But the topic is always interesting and somebody has to do it. You da man for the job.Also, I think Sam Keller is a bum. :yes: :D
I'm hope I'm not THE man.I certainly didn't rip of these rankings from another site... last time I looked, I couldn't find any actual rankings for '08 and '09 players.

I suppose the next update will be a month or so before the season starts.

ETA: Spoke too soon... here are some 2008 and 2009 positional rankings... still almost no players were left unmentioned on the list above.

draftstock.com

My friend is a professor at UCLA as well and he is telling me w/o a doubt that this will be the next great Mormon QB in the NFL.

Also, I think Sam Keller is a bum. :bag: :boxing:
I know you didn't think this one was sliding by me. You're going down CC! :bow: :banned:

By all accounts Keller looked great this year running the Nebraska scout team against the 1st team defense. We'll see how it plays out on the field next year.
Maybe he can play football, but the guy has always come off as a total punk and an idiot. That doesn't bode well for a QB.

Marlon Lucky was admitted to the hospital yesterday for what is being reported as an overdose but appears to be ok and not drug or alcohol related.

Husker running back Marlon Lucky is reportedly out of intensive care and his condition has improved to fair. He was admitted to BryanLGH West Hospital Sunday night. Sources say he is being treated for an overdose.

A statement released by the university Tuesday on behalf of his family read, "Marlon’s condition continues to improve. He has been removed from the intensive care unit and his condition has been upgraded to fair. We would like to make it clear that Marlon’s medical emergency did not come about as a result of the use of alcohol or any illicit drugs. We are very appreciative of the thoughts and prayers for Marlon during this time.”

Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan is quoted in a statement from the university as saying, "I have spent time with both Marlon and his family at the hospital over the past couple days. Marlon knows that he has the full support of our football team, coaches and entire athletic
http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/5807756.html

Senior QBs

Brian Brohm, Louisville, Sn

Colt Brennan, Hawaii, Sn

Chad Henne, Michigan, Sn

John David Booty, USC, Sn

Sam Keller, Nebraska, Sn

Matt Ryan, BC, Sn

Eric Ainge, Tennessee, Sn

Matt Flynn, LSU, Sn

Andre Woodson, Kentucky, Sn

Ricky Santos, UNH, Sn

Brett Meyer, Iowa State, Sn

Kyle Wright, Miami (FL), Sn

Brandon Cox, Auburn, Sn

Josh Johnson, San Diego, Sn

Anthony Morelli, Penn State, Sn

Dennis Dixon, Oregon, Sn

Underclassmen QBs

Bobby Reid, Oklahoma State, Jr

Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State, Jr

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech, Jr

Nate Longshore, Cal, Jr

Chase Holbrook, New Mexico State, Jr

Hunter Cantwell, Louisville, Jr

Drew Weatherford, FSU, Jr

J.P. Wilson, Alabama, Jr

Curtis Painter, Purdue, Jr

Ben Olson, UCLA, Jr

Mike Teel, Rutgers, Jr

Chase Daniel, Missouri, Jr

Pat White, West Virginia, Jr

Senior RBs

Michael Hart, Michigan, Sn

Allen Patrick, Oklahoma, Sn

Lynell Hamilton, San Diego State, Sn

Yvenson Bernard, Oregon State, Sn

Ryan Torian, Arizona State, Sn

Albert Young, Iowa, Sn

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss, Sn

Marlon Lucky, Nebraska, Sn

Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech, Sn

Alley Broussard, LSU, Sn

Thomas Brown, Georgia, Sn

Cory Boyd, South Carolina, Sn

Justin Forsett, Cal, Sn

Andre Callender, BC, Sn

L.V. Whitworth, BC, Sn

Rafael Little, Kentucky, Sn

Dantrell Savage, Oklahoma State, Sn

Arian Foster, Tennessee

Underclassmen RBs

Darren McFadden, Arkansas, Jr

Steve Slaton, West Virginia, Jr

James Davis, Clemson, Jr

Jamaal Charles, Texas, Jr

Andre Brown, North Carolina State, Jr

Jonathan Stewart, Oregon, Jr

P.J. Hill, Wisconsin, So

Ray Rice, Rutgers, Jr

Ian Johnson, Boise State, Jr

Felix Jones, Arkansas, Jr

Brandon Ore, Virginia Tech, So

Aaron Brown, TCU, Jr

Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern, Jr

Kory Sheets, Purdue, Jr

Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M, Jr

Senior WRs

Marcus Monk, Arkansas, Sn

Limas Sweed, Texas, Sn

D.J. Hall, Alabama, Sn

Dorien Bryant, Wake Forest, Sn

Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State, Sn

Todd Blythe, Iowa State, Sn

Early Doucet, LSU, Sn

Andre Caldwell, Florida, Sn

Mario Urrutia, Louisville, Sn

Maurice Purify, Nebraska, Sn

Harry Douglas, Louisville, Sn

Eddie Royal, Virginia Tech, Sn

Lance Leggett, Miami (FL), Sn

Derek Kinder, Pittsburgh, Sn

Sammie Stroughter, Oregon State, Sn

Keenan Burton, Kentucky, Sn

Ernie Wheelright, Minnesota, Sn

Underclassmen WRs

Mario Manningham, Michigan, Jr

DeSean Jackson, Cal, Jr

Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma, Jr

Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt, Jr

Derrick Williams, Penn State, Jr

James Hardy, Indiana, Jr

Greg Carr, FSU, Jr

Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma, Jr

Davone Bess, Hawaii, Jr

Brian Robiskie, Ohio State, Jr

Jason Williams, Oregon, Jr

Dicky Lyons, Kentucky, Jr

Senior QBsBrian Brohm, Louisville, SnColt Brennan, Hawaii, SnChad Henne, Michigan, SnJohn David Booty, USC, SnSam Keller, Nebraska, SnMatt Ryan, BC, SnEric Ainge, Tennessee, SnMatt Flynn, LSU, SnAndre Woodson, Kentucky, SnRicky Santos, UNH, SnBrett Meyer, Iowa State, SnKyle Wright, Miami (FL), SnBrandon Cox, Auburn, SnJosh Johnson, San Diego, SnAnthony Morelli, Penn State, SnDennis Dixon, Oregon, SnUnderclassmen QBsBobby Reid, Oklahoma State, JrRudy Carpenter, Arizona State, JrGraham Harrell, Texas Tech, JrNate Longshore, Cal, JrChase Holbrook, New Mexico State, JrHunter Cantwell, Louisville, JrDrew Weatherford, FSU, JrJ.P. Wilson, Alabama, JrCurtis Painter, Purdue, JrBen Olson, UCLA, JrMike Teel, Rutgers, JrChase Daniel, Missouri, JrPat White, West Virginia, JrSenior RBsMichael Hart, Michigan, SnAllen Patrick, Oklahoma, SnLynell Hamilton, San Diego State, Sn Yvenson Bernard, Oregon State, SnRyan Torian, Arizona State, SnAlbert Young, Iowa, SnBenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss, SnMarlon Lucky, Nebraska, SnTashard Choice, Georgia Tech, SnAlley Broussard, LSU, SnThomas Brown, Georgia, SnCory Boyd, South Carolina, SnJustin Forsett, Cal, SnAndre Callender, BC, SnL.V. Whitworth, BC, SnRafael Little, Kentucky, SnDantrell Savage, Oklahoma State, SnArian Foster, TennesseeUnderclassmen RBsDarren McFadden, Arkansas, JrSteve Slaton, West Virginia, JrJames Davis, Clemson, JrJamaal Charles, Texas, JrAndre Brown, North Carolina State, JrJonathan Stewart, Oregon, JrP.J. Hill, Wisconsin, SoRay Rice, Rutgers, JrIan Johnson, Boise State, JrFelix Jones, Arkansas, JrBrandon Ore, Virginia Tech, SoAaron Brown, TCU, JrTyrell Sutton, Northwestern, JrKory Sheets, Purdue, JrJorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M, JrSenior WRsMarcus Monk, Arkansas, SnLimas Sweed, Texas, SnD.J. Hall, Alabama, SnDorien Bryant, Wake Forest, SnAdarius Bowman, Oklahoma State, SnTodd Blythe, Iowa State, SnEarly Doucet, LSU, SnAndre Caldwell, Florida, SnMario Urrutia, Louisville, SnMaurice Purify, Nebraska, SnHarry Douglas, Louisville, SnEddie Royal, Virginia Tech, SnLance Leggett, Miami (FL), SnDerek Kinder, Pittsburgh, SnSammie Stroughter, Oregon State, SnKeenan Burton, Kentucky, SnErnie Wheelright, Minnesota, SnUnderclassmen WRsMario Manningham, Michigan, JrDeSean Jackson, Cal, JrMalcolm Kelly, Oklahoma, JrEarl Bennett, Vanderbilt, JrDerrick Williams, Penn State, JrJames Hardy, Indiana, JrGreg Carr, FSU, JrJuaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma, JrDavone Bess, Hawaii, JrBrian Robiskie, Ohio State, JrJason Williams, Oregon, JrDicky Lyons, Kentucky, Jr
:toilet: Thank you!

Marlon Lucky was admitted to the hospital yesterday for what is being reported as an overdose but appears to be ok and not drug or alcohol related.

Husker running back Marlon Lucky is reportedly out of intensive care and his condition has improved to fair. He was admitted to BryanLGH West Hospital Sunday night. Sources say he is being treated for an overdose.

A statement released by the university Tuesday on behalf of his family read, "Marlon’s condition continues to improve. He has been removed from the intensive care unit and his condition has been upgraded to fair. We would like to make it clear that Marlon’s medical emergency did not come about as a result of the use of alcohol or any illicit drugs. We are very appreciative of the thoughts and prayers for Marlon during this time.”

Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan is quoted in a statement from the university as saying, "I have spent time with both Marlon and his family at the hospital over the past couple days. Marlon knows that he has the full support of our football team, coaches and entire athletic
http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/5807756.html
Lucky is out of the hospital and doing fine, although the reason was not released. Here's a highlight tape of his 2006 season - make sure to watch the last play.

I think you're way off base with this. There are many questions about Slaton at the next level. And at this point Mcfadden is the unquestioned number 1 of this class

I think you're way off base with this. There are many questions about Slaton at the next level. And at this point Mcfadden is the unquestioned number 1 of this class
I just think that Slaton's running style is better than Mcfadden's.....however they both are very athletic.

He wasn't ever considered to be a huge top prospect, but Nebraska WR Maurice Purify was arrested for two counts of assault. Look for him to be thrown off of the team.

I'm in a league that lets us trade 2008, 2009, 2010 draft picks.

Can anyone name some possible 1.01 picks in 2009?

I have a hard time trading for picks for which I have no clue who will even be in the draft class. But I think there's some value here, I'm just not sure where. :blackdot:

And to take a shot at the original topic at hand:

Top Dynasty Prospects in a 2008 Rookie Draft: (*underclassmen)

1. Darren McFadden, RB, ARK*

2. Steve Slaton, RB, WVU*

3. Mario Manningham, WR, MICH*

4. Jonathan Stewart, RB, OREG*

5. DeSean Jackson, WR, CAL*

6. Michael Hart, RB, MICH

7. Brian Brohm, QB, L'VILLE

8. Allen Patrick, RB, OU

9. Limas Sweed, WR, TEX

10. Early Doucet, WR, LSU

11. Ray Rice, RB, RUT*

12. Tashard Choice, RB, GT

I still like James Davis (RB, CLEM) and Jamaal Charles (RB, TEX) a whole lot, but they may stay another year.

Monk might not run fast enough to warrant a 1st Round pick.

I'm in a league that lets us trade 2008, 2009, 2010 draft picks.Can anyone name some possible 1.01 picks in 2009? I have a hard time trading for picks for which I have no clue who will even be in the draft class. But I think there's some value here, I'm just not sure where. :bye:
CJ Spiller RB Clemson and Chris Wells RB OSU are a good place to start.

QB

Brian Brohm, Louisville - Looks like the early frontrunner for the QB1 slot in next year's draft. Elite high school prospect who has been extremely effective in college. A top 10-15 pick for sure next year.

Chad Henne, Michigan - Four year starter who has been solid throughout his career. Won't wow you, but he should still be an early pick.

Erik Ainge, Tennessee - Bounced back after a horrific sophomore year. Tons of potential and might actually be the best QB in this group.

Colt Brennan, Hawaii - Almost entered the draft this year. Probably would've been a late first or early second round pick.

RB

Darren McFadden, Arkansas - Multi-dimensional player destined to receive tons of hype on these boards. Like Adrian Peterson, he's lanky with an upright running style that could draw criticism. Looks like a top 10 pick at this point.

Jonathan Stewart, Oregon - Five star recruit out of high school averaged 5.4 YPC last season. Should be an All-American type player in 2007. At 5'11" and 230 pounds, he has the ideal build for the pro game.

Steve Slaton, West Virginia - A little bit small, but he has that squatty jitterbug style that works well in the NFL. A day one draft pick with the potential to move into the first round depending on his postseason.

James Davis, Clemson - Solid all-around back with the size and production to warrant optimism. Should be a 1st-2nd round pick with a good season and combine.

Ray Rice, Rutgers - Productive back with a good build and skill set. Reminds me a little bit of Westbrook.

Mike Hart, Michigan - Overachiever with limited pro potential, IMO.

Lynell Hamilton, San Diego State - Freshman phenom who has never been the same player since suffering some injuries. Still has a chance to get drafted.

Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern - Freshman phenom from 2005 probably won't leave school early, but is still worth watching.

WR

Early Doucet, LSU - Should leap up the boards next season. Athletic playmaker who was a top recruit in high school.

Mario Manningham, Michigan - The latest in a long line of solid Michigan WR prospects.

Limas Sweed, Texas - Big possession guy who has drawn some comparisons to Roy Williams and Dwayne Jarrett.

DeSean Jackson, Cal - Ultra quick playmaker with a habit of breaking the big one. Productive since his freshman year, he's a probable top 15 pick if he comes out.

Marcus Monk, Arkansas - Basketball player who plays like it on the field. Big and rangy, but maybe a better prospect as a TE.

Lance Leggett, Miami - Yet another talent gone wasted by the Miami Hurricanes. He has a low draft profile right now, but strikes me as the kind of guy destined to climb the board.

Greg Carr, Florida State - Jump ball WR who figures to be a first day pick with the potential to go in the first round.

Overall it's a strong class. Depending on what happens with the underclassmen, we could see as many as five first rounders at the RB position. Stewart, Rice, Slaton, Davis, and McFadden all have that kind of talent.

The QBs are also very intriguing. The top four all have a reasonable chance of going in the first round.

And while the WRs don't have a lot of hype right now, there's plenty of talent out there.

As of now, 2008 is looking like the best overall class in years. But a lot of that is contingent on the underclassmen leaving school.

And to take a shot at the original topic at hand:Top Dynasty Prospects in a 2008 Rookie Draft:1. Darren McFadden, RB, ARK*2. Steve Slaton, RB, WVU*3. Mario Manningham, WR, MICH*4. Jonathan Stewart, RB, OREG*5. DeSean Jackson, WR, CAL*6. Michael Hart, RB, MICH7. Brian Brohm, QB, L'VILLE8. Allen Patrick, RB, OU9. Limas Sweed, WR, TEX10. Early Doucet, WR, LSU11. Ray Rice, RB, RUT12. Tashard Choice, RB, GTI still like James Davis (RB, CLEM) and Jamaal Charles (RB, TEX) a whole lot. Monk might not run fast enough to warrant a 1st Round pick.
If Stewart goes in the first round of the NFL draft, Manningham won't go ahead of him. Manningham has looked simply incredible on the field, but I'm pretty wary about stud WR prospects from football factories. They usually have very good QB's throwing to them, and this is certainly the case with Manningham.

If Stewart goes in the first round of the NFL draft, Manningham won't go ahead of him. Manningham has looked simply incredible on the field, but I'm pretty wary about stud WR prospects from football factories. They usually have very good QB's throwing to them, and this is certainly the case with Manningham.
I'd put heavy money on Manningham being drafted ahead of Stewart weather it be '08 or '09.

Anyone I listed with an asterisk above is an underclassman in '08 which means they could stay another year and be drafted in '09. Contenders for the #1 pick in '09 include:

D.McFadden, RB, ARK

S.Slaton, RB, WV

J.Stewart, RB, OREG

R.Rice, RB, RUT

J.Charles, RB, TEX

J.Davis, RB, CLEM

P.J. Hill, RB, WISC*

C.Wells, RB, OSU*

*Still has eligibility until '10

There is no Calvin Johnson in this draft, so the only true contenders for 1.1 in '09 are RBs

McFadden will almost certainly be leaving early (in '08), but it's too early to tell with any of the others. (though Slaton probly will if I had to guess)

I'm in a league that lets us trade 2008, 2009, 2010 draft picks.Can anyone name some possible 1.01 picks in 2009? I have a hard time trading for picks for which I have no clue who will even be in the draft class. But I think there's some value here, I'm just not sure where. :confused:
CJ Spiller RB Clemson and Chris Wells RB OSU are a good place to start.
Great talents. Spiller probly won't go pro till '10 since he may still have to share carries with James Davis in'08 and '09)

Wonder if we can put together a FBG college review?

I do a lot of reading on skill players from a college FF point of view.

RB

Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

Steve Slaton, West Virginia

James Davis, Clemson

Ray Rice, Rutgers

WR

Early Doucet, LSU

Mario Manningham, Michigan

Limas Sweed, Texas

DeSean Jackson, Cal

Marcus Monk, Arkansas

Overall it's a strong class. Depending on what happens with the underclassmen, we could see as many as five first rounders at the RB position. Stewart, Rice, Slaton, Davis, and McFadden all have that kind of talent.

And while the WRs don't have a lot of hype right now, there's plenty of talent out there.
Not knowing nearly as much as many draftniks here... and looking at the overall comments... It certainly seems that we need to focus on the WRs talent this year (for those that have not drafted yet) with the pendelum swinging completely in next year's draft... I think that's a given, right?Where would you rank the top five at each position (adding QBs if you want to) compared to this year's class?...

Anybody have any thoughts on New Hampshire's Ricky Santos?

On the Sports Network site he's listed at 6'2" and 215 lbs.

In the past two seasons he's combined for 6,922 yards and 68 TD vs. 16 INT. What intrigues me the most is that, while throwing to David Ball and despite playing for a I-AA team, he's led New Hampshire to a 34-17 win over Northwestern last season (206 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT) and 35-24 win over Rutgers in 2004 (385 yards, 5 TD, 1 INT).

Could he be a good fit in a WCO? He's thrown for a career 67.3% completion percentage and is a decent enough scrambler with a 3.0 YPC in 394 carries.

I'm a big fan. There's some posters around here who have known and watched him for years going back to high school. I was lucky to get a few of David Ball's performances and Santos is a nice prospect. He has an intangible quality about him that makes me believe he will succeed at any level. He's a winner, a sharp, heady competitor, and he has solid tools. I guess it's that "it factor" people talk about and I think he has it.

I'm a big fan. There's some posters around here who have known and watched him for years going back to high school. I was lucky to get a few of David Ball's performances and Santos is a nice prospect. He has an intangible quality about him that makes me believe he will succeed at any level. He's a winner, a sharp, heady competitor, and he has solid tools. I guess it's that "it factor" people talk about and I think he has it.
I couldn't imagine him being more than a late 2nd day pick. His arm strength is avergae at best and of course his level of competition is weak. But he will have his opportunity to earn a roster spot somewhere. :lmao: by the way

RB

Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

James Davis, Clemson

Ray Rice, Rutgers

WR

Early Doucet, LSU

Limas Sweed, Texas

DeSean Jackson, Cal

Marcus Monk, Arkansas

Not knowing nearly as much as many draftniks here... and looking at the overall comments... It certainly seems that we need to focus on the WRs talent this year (for those that have not drafted yet) with the pendelum swinging completely in next year's draft... I think that's a given, right?Where would you rank the top five at each position (adding QBs if you want to) compared to this year's class?...
It's really too early to rank these guys against last year's prospects without seeing their 2007 seasons and their combine performances. I think potentially 3-4 QBs will be higher on my board than JaMarcus Russell.

I probably prefer Adrian Peterson to any of these RB prospects, but McFadden should be a top 10 pick if healthy. Davis, Rice, Stewart, and Slaton all have a chance to be first round talents. 1-2 of these last four guys are probably better than Lynch.

None of the WRs are on Calvin Johnson's level, but Doucet, Manningham, and DeSean Jackson would've been vying for the WR2 spot in this draft class. I think I might prefer all three of them to Meachem, Bowe, and Ginn, but there's still a lot of football left to be played.

RB

Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

James Davis, Clemson

Ray Rice, Rutgers

WR

Early Doucet, LSU

Limas Sweed, Texas

DeSean Jackson, Cal

Marcus Monk, Arkansas

It's really too early to rank these guys against last year's prospects without seeing their 2007 seasons and their combine performances. I think potentially 3-4 QBs will be higher on my board than JaMarcus Russell.

I probably prefer Adrian Peterson to any of these RB prospects, but McFadden should be a top 10 pick if healthy. Davis, Rice, Stewart, and Slaton all have a chance to be first round talents. 1-2 of these last four guys are probably better than Lynch.

None of the WRs are on Calvin Johnson's level, but Doucet, Manningham, and DeSean Jackson would've been vying for the WR2 spot in this draft class. I think I might prefer all three of them to Meachem, Bowe, and Ginn, but there's still a lot of football left to be played.
Couldn't have said it better myself EBF.Don't know if I necessarily agree with the QB's being that much better than Russell, but completely agree in regards to RB's and WR's.

RB's: 1) Adrian Peterson 2) Darren McFadden....than that whole group of 2nd tier guys on the same type of level as Marshawn Lynch

WR's: 1) Calvin Johnson....than that whole group of 2nd tier guys

So, on a whole I'd say the top tier guys in this year's class are better, but next year will be a deeper group of that 2nd tier talent (especially at RB)

EBF's top rating of Doucet is a little different, but he is generally regarded very high. I think he's a mid-round prospect, but I agree it's very early. I also think DeSean Jackson goes first with little debate by the time next year is done. Manningham 2nd, also with little debate.

Then it gets strange because of all the long tall string beans with nice game. Kelly and Bowman are 6-4 and nice players. Sweed is 6-5 and a first round talent. Monk, Urruttia, Hardy and Carr are all 6-6 and they are good football players. I like Hardy a little better, but next season will probably change that. I really like all four of them. Caldwell, Bess, and Burton are all in the Doucet category (6 foot one or so and explosive) but Earl Bennett has been nothing short of amazing for two years in the SEC. He could be the best of the lot. Burton and Caldwell were handed 2nd/3rd round grades this year and June Jones calls Bess the "best receiver" he's ever worked with on any level. It's a very good crop with lots of sleepers like Todd Blythe, Lance Leggett, and three in the Pac 10 who will probably all break out. Michael Bumpus was part of Jason Hill's poor season. Bumpus gets open so easily it's strange. Sammy Stroughter is a complete package who will rip off a 4.3 something, and big bad Jaison Williams just needs to improve a little technically, run a 4.5 and he'll make Dwayne Bowe look like a weak puppy.

I had a nagging feeling I was leaving someone out (probably a few).

If there is a real threat to move ahead of Jackson or Manningham, his name is Patrick Turner, a junior at USC who might be a monster with Jarrett out of the way.

Long way to go. Too early to argue rankings, but they're good for discussion.

Also, since he is eligible, I think Felix Jones should be RB3 in the rankings. Very debatable, but leaving him completely out of the discussion is a huge oversight. Bloom and I have discussed a possible Ronnie/Caddy situation developing. Felix has mad game, super jets, great hands, a 7.6 ypc, and some SEC coaches claiming they worried about him more than McFadden. It is also a "little" Bush/White like, but McFadden is far more complete than White and Jones is no Reggie, but no slouch and very very good. I know for a fact he is very high on the NFL radar. I doubt he falls out of the first round if he declares, and I don't think there will be a necessary desire to do it on his own as a senior with McFadden gone. Maybe, but that isn't the motivator some think it is. It comes with increased risk of injury and being shut down by overloaded defenses. If he has another great year, he should go pro, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread