What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (1 Viewer)

I have to say that I really am liking Dance with Dragons. Does it create its own issues instead of answering questions more often than not? Yes. Is it damn good? Yes. As long as GRRM finishes the story conclusively before he dies, I am enjoying the ride.I'm debating whether to re-read Thrones and Kings before season 2, or to just enjoy the show and start the series over this summer after reading all 5 in a row.
I just finished Dance over the weekend. Enjoy. I have nothing to read so I might just have to start over.
I have about 300 pages to go . . . .

list of words George RR Martin uses too often:japecomely/homelymore to come
I swear "spent his seed" was in AFFC about 87 times.
Yup. Mummer's farce is another one.
About half the stuff he details when talking about food.
Ive learned to skim parts of the feasts.
No trencher for you!
:lmao:
I prefer lots of salted beef and horse.

I have to say that I really am liking Dance with Dragons. Does it create its own issues instead of answering questions more often than not? Yes. Is it damn good? Yes. As long as GRRM finishes the story conclusively before he dies, I am enjoying the ride.I'm debating whether to re-read Thrones and Kings before season 2, or to just enjoy the show and start the series over this summer after reading all 5 in a row.
I just finished Dance over the weekend. Enjoy. I have nothing to read so I might just have to start over.
You guys should read the 3 novellas (80-90 pages each) that are part of the Dunk and Egg Tales. Your local library probably has the books that the novellas are in. After reading Dunk and Egg some cryptic things in AFFC and ADWD became clearer.
The DUNK AND EGG TALES are a series of short novels written by George R. R. Martin, also known as "Tales of the Seven Kingdoms." These tales take place roughly 90-100 years before the events of A Game of Thrones, and follow a young hedge knight named Dunk and his squire, Egg.

You guys should read the 3 novellas (80-90 pages each) that are part of the Dunk and Egg Tales. Your local library probably has the books that the novellas are in. After reading Dunk and Egg some cryptic things in AFFC and ADWD became clearer.
The DUNK AND EGG TALES are a series of short novels written by George R. R. Martin, also known as "Tales of the Seven Kingdoms." These tales take place roughly 90-100 years before the events of A Game of Thrones, and follow a young hedge knight named Dunk and his squire, Egg.
I've listened to all three novellas, but it's been a while since I finished those and the main books. What sort of cryptic things are you referring to? :hophead:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've listened to all three novellas, but it's been a while since I finished those and the main books. What sort of cryptic things are you referring to? :hophead:
Three Eyed Crow, Aegon's Identity, Brienne's Ancestory, Hodor's Ancestory, Summerhall. What else?

I would recommend reading them, just because they are good stories.

Are these the hedge knight books?

Three Eyed Crow, Aegon's Identity, Brienne's Ancestory, Hodor's Ancestory, Summerhall. What else?
Ah geez, I either forgot all of those or didn't notice them the first time around. I guess I'll have to check them out again

Are these the hedge knight books?
The hedge knight is the first story.

I've tried finding these before with no luck. What books are they in?

Th Hedge Knight - Legends http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Stories-Masters-Modern-Fantasy/dp/0765300354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328894378&sr=8-1

The Sworn Sword - Legends II http://www.amazon.com/Legends-II-Dragon-Sword-King/dp/034547578X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328894378&sr=8-2

The Mystery Knight - Warriors http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0765320487/ref=pd_vtp_b_3

Th Hedge Knight - Legends http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Stories-Masters-Modern-Fantasy/dp/0765300354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328894378&sr=8-1

The Sworn Sword - Legends II http://www.amazon.com/Legends-II-Dragon-Sword-King/dp/034547578X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328894378&sr=8-2

The Mystery Knight - Warriors http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0765320487/ref=pd_vtp_b_3
:blackdot:

The Hedge Knight can also be found in Dreamsongs Volume 2 by GRRMhttp://www.amazon.com/Dreamsongs-II-George-R-R-Martin/dp/B002BWQ5JU/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328897392&sr=1-2

But you need to buy wholey unrelated books to get these short stories?

Some concerns with the upcoming seasons:

If there are no Reeds I am really confused about their intentions for Bran, winterfell, and rickon's stories and chronology.

Warging and how they are going to show it with the wolves amd others.

Some concerns with the upcoming seasons:

If there are no Reeds I am really confused about their intentions for Bran, winterfell, and rickon's stories and chronology. Warging and how they are going to show it with the wolves amd others.
Includes spoilers for Kings and Swords:
Is it essential to the plot that Theon takes Winterfell before the battle of King's Landing? If they're planning to split books 2 & 3 into three seasons, they might push Bran's storyline into the middle one. That would have season 2 focused mainly on Tyrion/Lannisters vs Stannis/Barratheons, season 3 on the fall of the Starks (sack of Winterfell and the Red Wedding), and season 4 on all the stuff that happens from there to Lysa Arryn's death.

Does anyone know if Leeroy Jenkins is at all concerned about the Reeds not being cast for season 2 of the HBO season? I haven't seen that mentioned yet.

Finally got through the first 3 episodes and man was it worth it. As the season progressed the story and tension built. Well played. I had my doubts not being a fantasy guy this show is much more. Still trying to wrap my head around all these kingdoms and the many great characters.

So do you book :nerd: know what is going to happen next? How closely is it following the book? Don't want to read this thread and get 'spoilers'.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to make friends in the office, start addressing random targets as 'boy'. It's good schtick :thumbup:

Just finished watching the whole season on HBO on demand. Started out slowly, and it took me some time to figure out all the characters, but this show is awesome. Can't wait for season 2. They really hit on the casting as well, the acting is great.

Rereading Game of Thrones (well, actually reading the rest of it for the first time) and noticing some subtleties too.

Example:

Littlefinger finds out Cat is in Kings Landing, calls for her, there is a long discussion blah blah blah. But when talk turns to Lysa there's an interesting part with Cat wondering "how much Varys knows" and Petry says something along the lines of "everything". In the grand scheme of things, that is a huge "everything" if it includes the fact that Petyr knocked up Lysa and Lord Tully made her abort it (hence leading to the entire Jon Aryn murder thing).
there's another passage in those mid/early chapters of GoT like that makes you think on the second go round.

Users who are viewing this thread