What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (8 Viewers)

My sil family wants to go to new York when they are here over Christmas. ..my wife is planning the day. I really don't want go now.

:paranoid:

Last edited by a moderator:
My sil family wants to go to new York when they are here over Christmas. ..my wife is planning the day. I really don't want go now.

You have nothing to worry about. I plan on taking my son into the city during the Christmas vacation to goto the Museum of Natural History and see the tree.

You have nothing to worry about. I plan on taking my son into the city during the Christmas vacation to goto the Museum of Natural History and see the tree.
Agree.

Took my son to Bryant Park this weekend, outside of the crowds all was well.

I'd be a little more careful when crossing the street and skip the tour of the Marcy Houses.

Was doing some holiday shopping in Soho yesterday...

OOPS! That was awful!!!

ETA: I actually have to go back to the Patagonia store on Wooster bc my wife says I bought everyone the wrong size :kicksrock: FML

I have to stop by the Victoria's Secret on 34th st today or tomorrow. I bet that's going to be fun.

A 35 year old out of shape fella stupefied by unknowing will be a big hit with the sales force.

I have to stop by the Victoria's Secret on 34th st today or tomorrow. I bet that's going to be fun.

A 35 year old out of shape fella stupefied by unknowing will be a big hit with the sales force.
I had to stop in Sephora in Soho yesterday... Best part of day, should be some good eye candy in VS.

Heading there myself a little later today. Not sure if I shouldn't just go to the one in Queens but I hate that mall.

Heading there myself a little later today. Not sure if I shouldn't just go to the one in Queens but I hate that mall.
Any reason you'd prefer the one at the Mall? Isn't the 34th st location like their uber store with all the extras you can't buy elsewhere?

Any reason you'd prefer the one at the Mall? Isn't the 34th st location like their uber store with all the extras you can't buy elsewhere?
On X-Mas eve last year, they were cleaned out. I work a block away, so it's "easy," but it's also a madhouse.

And seeing as how my wife and I are both in our 30s now, the presents are much more of a flannel variety.

I can walk to the mall from my house but I am going into the city to pickup my wife around 8pm, so I'd be able to go in earlier and get a parking spot near 34th st.

Looks like kind of strange weather this weekend. We are supposed to have a high temp of around 40 on Saturday, a high of 61 on Sunday and then back down to a high of 40 on Monday.

ETA - according to weather.com and accuweather

btw- RIP Mario... I was always a big fan.

I still wonder what skeletons he had that kept him out of a presidential run.

fantasycurse42 said:
Anyone been reading about the NYPD lately? They basically haven't been arresting people or writing tickets for the last month.
In a somewhat ironic twist, does the lack of arrests end up hurting the concept of broken windows policing, if indeed crime does not rise without these arrests? And/or will there be pressure to not look for every little minor non-violent crime in minority neighbourhoods ?Let's be honest, a lot of the non arrests are for things that likely would be ignored in a nicer hood with a bunch of white teenagers or arrests that are used in an effort to find out some deeper crime.

fantasycurse42 said:
Anyone been reading about the NYPD lately? They basically haven't been arresting people or writing tickets for the last month.
In a somewhat ironic twist, does the lack of arrests end up hurting the concept of broken windows policing, if indeed crime does not rise without these arrests? And/or will there be pressure to not look for every little minor non-violent crime in minority neighbourhoods ?Let's be honest, a lot of the non arrests are for things that likely would be ignored in a nicer hood with a bunch of white teenagers or arrests that are used in an effort to find out some deeper crime.
gonna take a lot more than a month for any kind of dramatic shift, re: broken windows concept working or not.

I've never been to NYC other than layovers at JFK and that jersey airport. Decided it is time to pop the cherry. I'd like to spend 3-4 days there, my question is when would be the best time of year to visit? I would imagine spring/summer since the ladies will be wearing less. Any thoughts?

I've never been to NYC other than layovers at JFK and that jersey airport. Decided it is time to pop the cherry. I'd like to spend 3-4 days there, my question is when would be the best time of year to visit? I would imagine spring/summer since the ladies will be wearing less. Any thoughts?
Well, I'm heading there next week. This is my 8th or so trip out there, and I've never seen hotels so cheap in Manhatten. I'm paying 100 bucks a night for a four star Marriott right by Times Square. So if cost in a concern, early January seems like a good time.

Spring is fantastic in NYC. Highest energy and positivity of the year. Summer is weird as a lot of locals head out to the shores/hamptons, and a really hot day in the City sorta sucks.

Falls the best weather, though.

Spring is fantastic in NYC. Highest energy and positivity of the year. Summer is weird as a lot of locals head out to the shores/hamptons, and a really hot day in the City sorta sucks.

Falls the best weather, though.
:goodposting:

spring/fall are the best times here. and as kutta wrote, there are definite down-turns in terms of hotel prices... no idea when those are... but I think Spring (outside of spring-break times late March and April) tends to be less than fall. winter and summer tend to be more crowded with tourists, imo.

Babysitter tonight, steak dinner... :thumbup:

I've never discussed rates with our babysitter, I just pay her (our college age neighbor, wife is friends with her mom), she is typically there for 3-4 hours and I just give her about $60-75, depending on the exact length of time.

I think the going rate around these parts = about $15-$20 an hour, correct?

I've never discussed rates with our babysitter, she is typically there for 3-4 hours and I just give her about $60-75, depending on the exact length of time.

$15/hour for one kid is pretty standard, plus $ for dinner (I leave 20) and ride home for nighttime sitting.

we've got some NYU girls who babysit for us for 12 or 13 and no ride home needed. much better than the old T&T or Nepalese nannies who lived way the hell out in Queens and a 40buck cab ride.

eta: enjoy the night out :thumbup:

we're doing an overnight for the wife's bday next month. haven't figured out the rates for the NYU coed, who will spend the night.

one of my oldest friends from "home" is visiting NYC for the first time with his wife at the end of the month. any plans? "yeah- going to see Book of Mormon". got tickets? "not yet". ok.

any recommendations for this guy to get tickets? I just looked, A: there are none, and B: what there are are still goofily priced.

where do you guys go for tickets (not TKTS)? we had friends from my son's old school in the theater industry who set us up a number of times... but haven't maintained the friendship, and felt like we kinda used up the favors even back then. other than them, I have no idea.

one of my oldest friends from "home" is visiting NYC for the first time with his wife at the end of the month. any plans? "yeah- going to see Book of Mormon". got tickets? "not yet". ok.

any recommendations for this guy to get tickets? I just looked, A: there are none, and B: what there are are still goofily priced.

where do you guys go for tickets (not TKTS)? we had friends from my son's old school in the theater industry who set us up a number of times... but haven't maintained the friendship, and felt like we kinda used up the favors even back then. other than them, I have no idea.
:blackdot:

I was looking at prices for that during the holidays. Unbelievable. Like $300 for cheap seats.

I was looking at prices for that during the holidays. Unbelievable. Like $300 for cheap seats.
helloexactly.

PER ticket. and ####ty tickets at that.

I'm going to recommend Fuerza Bruta for them... unless they're happy spending 5/600+, or unless I hear back from somebody with better options.

helloexactly.

I'm going to recommend Fuerza Bruta for them... unless they're happy spending 5/600+, or unless I hear back from somebody with better options.
I'm wondering what the Larry David show will cost. Limited engagement.

helloexactly.

telecharge saying 50-160. not bad.

helloexactly.

telecharge saying 50-160. not bad.
wow, gonna have to get in on that.

Got the receipt? Had Lugers on Monday for work. Still can't find a cut of meat that tastes as good. :shrug:

Then tonight, ANOTHER steak dinner, this time to celebrate a Koya raise ( :hifive: ) with the wife. No photo this time - considerably more per person believe it or not - Rothmann's on the Island. 35 day dry aged and the only Filet I'll generally order (they have a sick bone-in filet some nights) but hard to do any steakhouse just after Lugers.

I would have loved a good steak tonight. Instead I needed to just get something quick so I went to Chipotle and got a burrito. That has been followed by several Tums... I don't usually go to Chipotle, but when I do I make sure I have Tums.

helloexactly.PER ticket. and ####ty tickets at that.

You should have them buy box office tickets for 6 months from now at face value and it could end up being cheaper for them to come back for another trip. Get the benefit of visiting the city for winter and then again when it's warm.

I've never discussed rates with our babysitter, I just pay her (our college age neighbor, wife is friends with her mom), she is typically there for 3-4 hours and I just give her about $60-75, depending on the exact length of time.

sounds like it was a good time

sounds like it was a good time
Getting plastered over a fine dinner is an outlet that keeps our marriage in a good place.

Warmer day and the swarm of salesmen is covering 34th and 5th. Dozens of people shelling terrible tourist trips. Duane Reade blocked by guys selling in the vestibule.

If we can make Elmo buy a license, can't these guys be regulated? Been to a few other cities in my day and never seen such a mess. Not to mention it's a giant scam and the only people actually making a living are the guys with the contracts with ESB.

do you work near there, Gawain? I'm at 39th and 5th.

eta: and I ####### avoid 34th street at all costs if I can.

do you work near there, Gawain? I'm at 39th and 5th.

eta: and I ####### avoid 34th street at all costs if I can.
Work three buildings down on 34th st. There is no avoiding it.

I usually alternate walking to work from Penn on 32nd or 34th.

On 32nd you get to see all the homeless folks waking up, their overnight pee bottles and all sorts of other assorted goodies.

On 34th, you get a gaggle of tourists, a bunch of sales pitches and the bodegas. It's even better when I walk to work with the wife (31st and Park) because heaven forbid a man and a woman on 34th street aren't interested in a simulated helicopter ride or a Big Bus (with no Brakes).

Users who are viewing this thread