What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Belichick Quotes on "Running up the Score" (2 Viewers)

JMJ

Footballguy
I know we already have like 5 Patriots/Belichick/Classless posts on the first 2 pages of the board but here you can read the quotes directly from his mouth:

October 28th, 2007

Running up the score ruminations

Tom Curran of NBCSports.com has some interesting comments from Redskins linebacker Randall Godfrey, who’s none too pleased with the way Bill Belichick coached at the end of today’s 52-7 victory. The Patriots went for it on a pair of fourth downs when up 35 and then 42 points.

“You look at all the great head coaches…I’m just disappointed,” Godfrey said. “You’ve got to show some class, show some respect. Joe Gibbs? We wouldn’t have done that. Bill Walsh? You wouldn’t see those types of guys doing that stuff. I’ve never seen nothing like that. Most teams, you get up like that you sit on the ball and try to run the time out. They’re up 30-some points and they’re throwing deep. That was blatant disrespect. I hope we can see them again, definitely. You don’t see Joe Gibbs doing that. You can’t even imagine that kind of stuff coming from him. Joe Gibbs. Bill Walsh. Bill Parcells. This isn’t like college going for power rankings. This is the pros — you show some respect, show some class.”

NBC also had some exclusive quotes from Belichick on the subject on Friday (before the WAS game).

“I’ve been coaching too long,” Belichick said. “I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you’re playing defense it’s your job to stop them. It’s not (the offense’s) job to not score. It’s like I tell the offense, what the (bleep) do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That’s not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven’t scored points you haven’t done your job.”

I just want to go on record as the starter of this thread saying that I have no problem with this at all. If that is what he chooses to do then so be it. Like he said, "Its the defenses job to stop them; not the offenses job to stop trying."

I think I read a quote from him in the past where he said, "We'll stop trying to score as soon as they stop trying to score. When their offense starts taking knees then we'll do the same." :whistle:

I have no problem with it which-so-ever. I was just posting the quotes.

And "No." I am not a Pats fan. As sad as it is to admit; I am a Jets fan. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I read a quote from him in the past where he said, "We'll stop trying to score as soon as they stop trying to score. When their offense starts taking knees then we'll do the same."
that's just it right there. If the other team is trying to score, as they obviously were, why is it only one teams obligation to lay down? To me, there's no difference than quitting executing your offense and simply laying the ball on the ground and walking away. Both are quitting. You don't teach quitting.

Eventually he's going to piss the wrong dude off and Brady's going to start getting hit 5 seconds after he throws the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gurantee if they keep running the score up, someone major will get majorly injured on the pats. IE Brady, Moss, Welker or whatever...

I think a lot of guys on this board would like to see the NFL come up with a mercy rule like they do in kiddie football and baseball.

I dont understand why people are whining? If teams dont want the pats to run up the score than all they need to do is STOP THEM. Seems simple to me.

I guess the opposing teams want some garbage points to make themselves feel better.

Patriots haters are pathetic. The Pats had Heath Evans, Kevin Faulk, Jabar Gaffney in. If a team can't stop them from a simple drive down the field, then they deserve to get blown out bigger and bigger, especially if you're Jason Campbell and try to guarantee a victory coming into the game...

I dont understand why people are whining? If teams dont want the pats to run up the score than all they need to do is STOP THEM. Seems simple to me. I guess the opposing teams want some garbage points to make themselves feel better.
It's truly ironic this week, because in the 'Skins fever thread there iis a post about Gibbs saying the 'Skins got too complacent the week prior against the Cardinals, allowing them to get back in the game. This week, the Redskins are complaining about the Pats running it up. The funny thing is, Washington got more aggressive down a lot. They're still trying to come back. Are the Pats just supposed to let them make it close?

I think I read a quote from him in the past where he said, "We'll stop trying to score as soon as they stop trying to score. When their offense starts taking knees then we'll do the same."
that's just it right there. If the other team is trying to score, as they obviously were, why is it only one teams obligation to lay down? To me, there's no difference than quitting executing your offense and simply laying the ball on the ground and walking away. Both are quitting. You don't teach quitting.
Because it is a good way to get players hurt.You run the ball...you run the clock down and get the game over with.You don't drop back your QB for deep passes...and you don't go for it on 4th down.How many Pats fans will defend BB when Brady blows out a knee while tossing a deep ball up 30+ in the 4th quarter?

This is the Big Boy league. If you don't want them to score, then stop them from scoring.
While I agree with this I also think that once you are up by 40+ in the 4th quarter it doesn't hurt to show a little class and run the clock out.
Its like baseball. You don't steal bases with a 10 run lead...and so on. Its class...its respect...its something BB clearly does not care about.

the Pats and Colts, both undefeated, will be going at it next Sunday in the game of the year. BB was doing nothing more than generating momentum going into it. want proof? take a look at the Colts/Panthers score.

I am truly impressed by how this Pats team is playing. I will say this though, Belicheck better be careful. One wrong fall by the golden boy at qb late in the 4th quarter of a game that they are up by 40 will end this team's season. These things have a way of correcting themselves all on their own.

This is the Big Boy league. If you don't want them to score, then stop them from scoring.
While I agree with this I also think that once you are up by 40+ in the 4th quarter it doesn't hurt to show a little class and run the clock out.
Its like baseball. You don't steal bases with a 10 run lead...and so on. Its class...its respect...its something BB clearly does not care about.
The Pats were running down the clock and that great Redskin defense we have been hearing about couldnt even stop the run.So should have the Pats just let the Redskins score at will in the 4th quarter? Where do you draw the line? You clearly believe the Pats offense shouldn't do their job, should the Pats defense also let down? That is what you are asking right?

Patriots haters are pathetic. The Pats had Heath Evans, Kevin Faulk, Jabar Gaffney in. If a team can't stop them from a simple drive down the field, then they deserve to get blown out bigger and bigger, especially if you're Jason Campbell and try to guarantee a victory coming into the game...
I don't hate the Pats.But come on...they were up 30+ in the 4th...went for it on 4th down...and were in 3 wide shotgun formations for that scoring drive. They ran the ball 4 times in that drive. (and yes, they have Faulk in there because they don't want to take a chance on Maroney getting hurt again).Even after that, 4 runs by Eckel the rest of the 4th quarter...the drive after that last TD by Brady...3 straight passes after one run. One more run, then the scramble for the TD.And yes, the defense needs to try and stop you...but its not about this crap...its about respect..its about knowing that BB may end up putting his player's health at risk because someone will get pissed off and take a shot.

I think everyone, Pats fans and haters alike, can agree Belicheck is not a classy guy.

Because it is a good way to get players hurt.You run the ball...you run the clock down and get the game over with.You don't drop back your QB for deep passes...and you don't go for it on 4th down.How many Pats fans will defend BB when Brady blows out a knee while tossing a deep ball up 30+ in the 4th quarter?
Uh, playing tackle football is a good way to get players hurt. Take a look at Wednesday. If Brady gets hurt in a blowout, sure it will suck, but that's football. It's hurts no less if hurt in a preseeason game, a post season game, losing or winning. It would suck. It sucks if any player gets hurt. But, honestly, how does the score have any bearing on injury. Is it more sporting to tack on a chip shot 3, or go for it on fourth down? Going for it gives the D an opportunity to keep the score down, while the ship chot is still running it up. But, going for it on fourth down prevents a return, and since it's a chip shot, you have a long field.

The Pats were running down the clock and that great Redskin defense we have been hearing about couldnt even stop the run.So should have the Pats just let the Redskins score at will in the 4th quarter? Where do you draw the line? You clearly believe the Pats offense shouldn't do their job, should the Pats defense also let down? That is what you are asking right?
What run? did you watch the game? Did you see how many passes they threw in the 4th quarter?I think the Pats should run the ball and not be in shotgun 3 wide formations...should not be going for it on 4th down.And I have less of a problem with yesterday actually. Last week was worse IMO. Putting Brady back in with a 21 point lead on the Dolphins.Who said anything about letting the Skins score? Some of you love to twist things around just to try and defend some ridiculous coaching.

I think a lot of guys on this board would like to see the NFL come up with a mercy rule like they do in kiddie football and baseball.
Actually, before these guys, that's pretty much how the league worked. When you clobbered a team to the point that the game was clearly over, you generally put in the scrubs and run it up the middle. The other team generally lets you get first downs and both teams get off the field and go home. It was called "class", and had the side-effect of reducing meaningless fights and injuries. This would be different than, say, throwing a pass on 4th and 2.

the Pats and Colts, both undefeated, will be going at it next Sunday in the game of the year. BB was doing nothing more than generating momentum going into it. want proof? take a look at the Colts/Panthers score.
I don't understand your point. Please explain.

I don't hate the Pats.But come on...they were up 30+ in the 4th...went for it on 4th down...and were in 3 wide shotgun formations for that scoring drive. They ran the ball 4 times in that drive. (and yes, they have Faulk in there because they don't want to take a chance on Maroney getting hurt again).Even after that, 4 runs by Eckel the rest of the 4th quarter...the drive after that last TD by Brady...3 straight passes after one run. One more run, then the scramble for the TD.And yes, the defense needs to try and stop you...but its not about this crap...its about respect..its about knowing that BB may end up putting his player's health at risk because someone will get pissed off and take a shot.
That's it right there. Don't take a knee but why throw? If you run 15 times straight down the field so be it. Don't throw it from the 2 yard line. Don't throw it on 3rd down. Come on. It's not this hard. I understand that they are professionals and this is not pee wee football, but for people to honestly argue that they are not running up the score is ridiculous. I am not trying to argue whether it is right or wrong, but it is occuring. Anyone who argues it isn't just sounds foolish. Go ahead and make the "stop them, if you don't like it" argument, but don't try and say they aren't running up the score.

Uh, playing tackle football is a good way to get players hurt. Take a look at Wednesday. If Brady gets hurt in a blowout, sure it will suck, but that's football. It's hurts no less if hurt in a preseeason game, a post season game, losing or winning. It would suck. It sucks if any player gets hurt. But, honestly, how does the score have any bearing on injury. Is it more sporting to tack on a chip shot 3, or go for it on fourth down? Going for it gives the D an opportunity to keep the score down, while the ship chot is still running it up. But, going for it on fourth down prevents a return, and since it's a chip shot, you have a long field.
Bull...sorry...thats Bull.If Brady gets hurt throwing the ball late in one of these games...the same chowds will be in here whining about a cheap shot.If they are up 30 and he is throwing it...and even in the game...what bearing does it have? Are you kidding?Its the reason why coaches take players out. Its the reason he finally took Brady out in the first place last week. To keep him from getting hurt in a game that the outcome has basically already been decided.Its more sporting to not go for it on 4th down. Its pretty simple logic really.

That's it right there. Don't take a knee but why throw? If you run 15 times straight down the field so be it. Don't throw it from the 2 yard line. Don't throw it on 3rd down. Come on. It's not this hard. I understand that they are professionals and this is not pee wee football, but for people to honestly argue that they are not running up the score is ridiculous. I am not trying to argue whether it is right or wrong, but it is occuring. Anyone who argues it isn't just sounds foolish. Go ahead and make the "stop them, if you don't like it" argument, but don't try and say they aren't running up the score.
Agreed...and I actually had less of a problem with yesterday than what they did in Miami putting Brady back in there. Im past that part though...but to defend that they are not doing it is just plain silly.

Anyone still want to disagree that sooner or later someone is going to try and waste Brady with the big blitz?
I would not put it past a team or two to try it. Like Miami.Good thing they don't play Washington again.But they still have to play the Dolphins again at the end of the year.

Anyone still want to disagree that sooner or later someone is going to try and waste Brady with the big blitz?
This is what I think. One of these games, someone is going to bring the house on Brady late in the game and blast him. Blitz 8 drop 3, what does it matter. Someone is going to send the message, if you want to pass late we are going to make your qb pay.

I don't understand your point. Please explain.
The Pats/Colts game will determine home field advantage through-out the playoffs. In this case, I don't have a problem with the Pats (or Colts) running up the score on their opponent, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Neither team wants to go into that game flat. A score like that will set the tone for an intense week of practice building a playoff type mentality. BB (and Dungy) were just setting the stage.

What if the other team isn't good enough to stop you from scoring? Does that make it OK to embarass them?Just run the ball and eat up the clock. No need to humiliate your opponent.

I am neither a Pats fan or a hater. I have no problem with what the Pats are doing. They are just good. I am not seeing any timeouts under 2 minutes with a 31+ lead or any onsides kicks when the game is in control. They are executing their offense. That is what they should do.

I might have an issue, however, if I were a Pats fan. I have no problem running your normal offense, but if I am up 31 after mid-way in the 4th and one of my key starters suffers an long-term injury, I am going to question Belichek why he didn't substitute more. Let the 2nd stringers run the offense, but lets not put your key personnel in harm's way in game that is in hand.

Eventually he's going to piss the wrong dude off and Brady's going to start getting hit 5 seconds after he throws the ball.
If any player is foolish enough to do this, which is unquestionably unsportsmanlike, I have no doubt they would face a minimum of the rest of the season suspension, and maybe even a year. It would be construed as nothing more than a deliberate attempt to take him out of the game, perhaps forever. No player would do such a thing, and no coach would advocate it. This isn't the cheap shot stepping on a hand, or even kicking a bit when walking by.

If any player is foolish enough to do this, which is unquestionably unsportsmanlike, I have no doubt they would face a minimum of the rest of the season suspension, and maybe even a year.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Yeah, and how many games did that Patriot defender get for his cheap shot on Losman in Week 2? :lmao: :lmao:

Why didn't Gibbs pull Campbell, Portis, Sellers, Cooley, etc... and start running dive plays to drain the clock themselves then?
Because there is a big difference between being getting shutout and being up by 40+ points.Look, I don't care if BB runs up the score to 100 pts. Like he said it is the other team's job to stop them and I wouldn't like my team whining about it. That said, the classy thing to do is to run the clock out when you're up by 40+ late in the 4th quarter.

Ok, here are the good reasons for this:

- The rules encourage it. Tie breakers are determined by points.

- If this team pulls its starters when the game gets out of hand, they end up playing about half the snaps the Colts are playing every week. Whipping the Redskins at home and playing the Colts in Indy is two different animals, even this offense benefits from executing its playbook.

- Could Brady get hurt in a blowout? Yes. Could Brady get hurt the first snap of the Colts game because somebody misses a blitz pickup they might have seen had they played more snaps earlier in the season? Yes.

- Would a lot of teams not do this? Yes. Are a lot of teams mediocre? Yes. This team has a philosophy and a killer instinct that is one of the reasons they are extremely good. They arent going to get out of that mindset to keep opposing fans from crying themselves to sleep in shame.

-These are professionals, not grade schoolers. If you dont want to be embarrassed go out there and stop somebody.

Its absolutely absurd that an NFL team is complaining about getting the score run up on them.
Has any team done so? I have heard it from some fans, but not the teams.
One of those folks is Redskins linebacker Randall Godfrey. According to Tom Curran of NBC Sports, Godfrey expressed extreme displeasure to Patriots coach Bill Belichick after the game. "I said something to (Belichick) after the game," Godfrey said to NBCSports.com. "I told him, 'You need to show some respect for the game.' You just don't do that. I don't care how bad it is. You're up 35 points and you're still throwing deep? That's no respect.... "You look at all the great head coaches ... I'm just disappointed," he said. "You gotta show some class, show some respect. Joe Gibbs? We wouldn't have done that. Bill Walsh? You wouldn't see those types of guys doing that stuff. I've never seen nothing like that. Most teams, you get up like that you sit on the ball and try to run the time out. They're up 30-some points and they're throwing deep. That was blatant disrespect. I hope we can see them again, definitely. You don't see Joe Gibbs doing that. You can't even imagine that kind of stuff coming from him. Joe Gibbs. Bill Walsh. Bill Parcells. This isn't like college going for power rankings. This is the pros you show some respect, show some class."

If any player is foolish enough to do this, which is unquestionably unsportsmanlike, I have no doubt they would face a minimum of the rest of the season suspension, and maybe even a year. It would be construed as nothing more than a deliberate attempt to take him out of the game, perhaps forever. No player would do such a thing, and no coach would advocate it. This isn't the cheap shot stepping on a hand, or even kicking a bit when walking by.
I don't disagree with you that it is wrong, and I don't necessarily know if anyone is dumb enough to do it. However, this is an incredibly violent game in which athletes play on emotion, painkillers, etc. These guys are warriors who play out of control more than not, and emotion is a poweful thing. It may not be 5 seconds late but 2 seconds late happens all the time. There are some crazy guys in this league.

I don't think that is today's NFL. THey are not going to try to injure someone just because they are getting trounced. The money is too good. Players want to win, but they also want to lengten their career as much as possible. If a player intentionally injures another player, he is at risk from having the same thing done to him on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread