What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official New Orleans Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Bump.

heading down to Destin to spend a week with the family over hte holidays and we'll be heading over to dine at Tipsy's place Saturday night (Dec 27th).

Staying at the Omni Royal New Orleans at the corner of Royal and St. Louis (In the quarter - 2 blocks off bourbon).

1) SAFETY

We were down about 2 years ago and things seemed okay but was still very slow compared to pre-katrina. Still hearing about lots of murders/etc though. How is the area in the quarter these days.... mainly the primary drag as well as the area around our hotel?

2) NIGHTLIFE

Two couples still pretty young-ish (28-32) and we've not been in ages so we were actually just considering doing the Bourbon St thing and hanging out there so we can just stumble back to the hotel around 1 to 3am. Hows that going on Saturday nights. Much going on? Hotspots? Spots to avoid? Suggestions off bourbon (worth a cab ride?).

3) SUNDAY BRUNCH

We're likely going to grab some brunch in the AM (10am or so) and were looking for suggestions in that general vicinity (or a reasonable drive...we will have a car) to hit on our way out of town. Looking for good food at a reasonable price.. ideally $10-20/head. Suggestions?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump.heading down to Destin to spend a week with the family over hte holidays and we'll be heading over to dine at Tipsy's place Saturday night (Dec 27th). Staying at the Omni Royal New Orleans at the corner of Royal and St. Louis (In the quarter - 2 blocks off bourbon). 1) SAFETYWe were down about 2 years ago and things seemed okay but was still very slow compared to pre-katrina. Still hearing about lots of murders/etc though. How is the area in the quarter these days.... mainly the primary drag as well as the area around our hotel?2) NIGHTLIFETwo couples still pretty young-ish (28-32) and we've not been in ages so we were actually just considering doing the Bourbon St thing and hanging out there so we can just stumble back to the hotel around 1 to 3am. Hows that going on Saturday nights. Much going on? Hotspots? Spots to avoid? Suggestions off bourbon (worth a cab ride?). 3) SUNDAY BRUNCHWe're likely going to grab some brunch in the AM (10am or so) and were looking for suggestions in that general vicinity (or a reasonable drive...we will have a car) to hit on our way out of town. Looking for good food at a reasonable price.. ideally $10-20/head. Suggestions? TIA
1 - You'll be safe...the murders only happen in parts of town I've never been in2 - There will be a decent crowd on Bourbon on Saturday...just go up and down until you find a place you like. If you like cover bands, the Ole Opry House (a bar) usually has a good one. Gold Mine is good for late night (after midnight) dancing. If you're just there for 1 night, no need to take a cab elsewhere.3 - Court of Two sisters has a great brunch, but I think it's more than $20. You can also try Luke....haven't been for brunch, but lunch/dinner is great.

Tiger Fan said:
3 - Court of Two sisters has a great brunch, but I think it's more than $20.
I have to protest this. The Court of Two sisters should have closed its doors decades ago. I have been 3 times over the course of my life and it is the most overrated place in the FQ if not the entire city. The food was below average to downright terrible....I've had the same quality of food at Shoneys....seriously. The utensils I had last time (and I do mean LAST) were filthy. My coffee cup had shmutz on it. My water glass actually had a foul odor to it. And our service was worse than a freaking waffle house.It does have a nice courtyard. That was the only thing ok with the place imho. There are so many great restaurants in this city but the Court of Two Sisters is at the very bottom of the list imho.

tipsy mcstagger said:
Tiger Fan said:
I have to protest this. The Court of Two sisters should have closed its doors decades ago. I have been 3 times over the course of my life and it is the most overrated place in the FQ if not the entire city. The food was below average to downright terrible....I've had the same quality of food at Shoneys....seriously. The utensils I had last time (and I do mean LAST) were filthy. My coffee cup had shmutz on it. My water glass actually had a foul odor to it. And our service was worse than a freaking waffle house.It does have a nice courtyard. That was the only thing ok with the place imho. There are so many great restaurants in this city but the Court of Two Sisters is at the very bottom of the list imho.
i yield to tipsy......

tipsy mcstagger said:
Tiger Fan said:
i yield to tipsy......
Sorry....That place just bugs the piss out of me. It, like a lot of other venerable old school places in this city, have been living on reputation alone for years or decades and that just makes me sick.

tipsy mcstagger said:
Tiger Fan said:
i yield to tipsy......
Sorry....That place just bugs the piss out of me. It, like a lot of other venerable old school places in this city, have been living on reputation alone for years or decades and that just makes me sick.
I understand. Tujacques was like that for me. Been to COTS once and enjoyed it...but there are problably better places.

:popcorn:

Well said tipsy... it's off the list.

My buddy who lives down there (guy who's wedding party we came in with, tipsy) is getting some ideas together as well. Thanks guys.

The 27th is my BDAY :goodposting:
:banned:Getting out to play that night?
I'll definitely be out and about that night. Got a party in the warehouse dist'
Something we should do then. Maybe dinner at Tips, then off to show Icon some party stops???
Already got dinner plans and then a party at Red Eye...we'll be with a big group, so I don't want to make any firm committments now...but we'll be out there somewhere

Jazz Fest Schedule Released

Weekend One (April 24-26)Wynton Marsalis, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Joe Cocker, Earth Wind & Fire, Wilco, Spoon, Erykah Badu, Irma Thomas, Orishas, Third World, Robert Cray, Etta James & the Roots Band, Mavis Staples, Drive-By Truckers feat. Booker T. Jones, Johnny Winter, Pete Seeger, Hugh Masekela, Better Than Ezra, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Galactic, Roy Haynes, Pete Fountain, Avett Brothers, Kinky, Roy Rogers, Del McCoury Band, Terence Blanchard, Marc Broussard, DJ Jubilee with 5th Ward Weebie and Ms. Tee, Buckwheat Zydeco’s 30th Anniversary feat. The Hitchhikers, Tab Benoit, Locos por Juana, Trombone Shorty, Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Yacub Addy and Odadaa of Ghana, Rebirth Brass Band Reunion with Kermit Ruffins, Ivan Neville & Dumpstaphunk, Big Sam’s Funky Nation, Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience, Amanda Shaw & the Cute Guys, Donald Harrison, The Anointed Jackson Sisters, Tribute to Mahalia Jackson featuring Irma Thomas, Mavis Staples, and Pamela Landrum, Chris Smither, Henry Butler, Papa Grows Funk, Robert Mirabal, Harlem Blues & Jazz Band, Rockin’ Dopsie, Jr. & the Zydeco Twisters, Sonny Landreth, Benjy Davis Project, The Vettes, Mem Shannon & the Membership, Stephanie Jordan, Warren Storm, Willie Tee and Cypress feat. Tommy McLain and T K Hulin, Astral Project, Ladysmith Redlions of South Africa, Don Vappie & the Creole Jazz Serenaders, Amammereso Agofomma of Ghana, The Dixie Cups, Chubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp Band, Germaine Bazzle, John Mooney & Bluesiana, Marlon Jordan, Tabby Thomas, Spencer Bohren, Savoy Music Center of Eunice Saturday Cajun Jam, Dew Drop Inn Revisited hosted by Deacon John feat. Wanda Rouzan, Eddie Bo, Allen Toussaint, Robert Parker, and Al “Carnival Time” Johnson, Paul Sanchez & the Rolling Road Show, Wayne Toups & Zydecajun, Leroy Jones presents the Fairview Brass Band Reunion Tribute to Danny Barker, Bruce Daigrepont, Vivaz!, Pfister Sisters’ 30th Anniversary, Gringo do Choro, Dr. Michael White & the Original Liberty Jazz Band, Thais Clark, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux & the Golden Eagles Mardi Gras Indians, Henry Gray & the Cats, Joe Krown, Walter “Wolfman” Washington & Russell Batiste, Jr., Lil’ Buck Sinegal Blues Band, EOE, Ebony Hillbillies, Crescent City Allstars feat. James Andrews, Hot 8 Brass Band, Schatzy, Jake Smith, 19th Street Red Blues Band, Brasilliance!, Mighty Chariots of Fire, Sharde Thomas & the Rising Star Fife & Drum Band, Chris Owens, Topsy Chapman, New Bumpers’ Revival Jazz Band of France, Zulu Male Ensemble, Jo “Cool” Davis, Leah Chase, Herlin Riley, Roderick Paulin, Mahogany Brass Band, Ingrid Lucia, MyNameisJonMichael, Texas Johnny Brown & the Quality Blues Band, Rockie Charles & the Stax of Love, AsheSon, Jim McCormick, Lil’ Malcolm & the House Rockers, Dwayne Dopsie & the Zydeco Hellraisers, Thomas “Big Hat” Fields & his Foot Stompin’ Zydeco Band, Guitar Slim, Jr., Storyville Stompers Brass Band, Willis Prudhomme & Zydeco Express, Lost Bayou Ramblers, Waterseed, Creole Wild West Mardi Gras Indians, DJ Hektik & the New Orleans Society of Dance with Freedia and Nobi, Tipsy Chicks, Jonno Frishberg & Bayou DeVille, Christian Serpas & Ghost Town, Kumbuka African Drum and Dance Collective, NewBirth Brass Band, High Ground Drifters Bluegrass Band, New Orleans Night Crawlers Brass Band, Hadley Castille & the Sharecropper Band, Carrollton Hunters and Cherokee Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Big Steppers, Furious Five, and Untouchables SAPCs, Patrice Fisher & Arpa feat. special guests from Brazil, Clive Wilson’s New Orleans Serenaders feat. Butch Thompson, Young Tuxedo Brass Band, Betty Winn & One A-Chord, McDonogh #35 High School Gospel Choir, Sophisticated Ladies feat. Barbara Shorts, Leslie Smith, Cindy Scott, and Judy Spellman, Golden Comanche and Seminoles Mardi Gras Indians, N.O.C.C.A. Jazz Ensemble, Real Untouchables Brass Band, Olympia Aid, New Look & First Division SAPCs, New Orleans Jazz Vipers, Tommy Sancton, Society Brass Band, Connie Jones, St. Joseph the Worker Music Ministry, UNO Jazz Combo, June Gardner & the Fellas, New Orleans Spiritualettes, Smitty Dee’s Brass Band, Kid Simmons’ Local International Allstars, Semolian Warriors, Comanche Hunters, and Golden Star Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Louisiana Repertory Jazz Ensemble, Tyronne Foster & the Arc Singers, Loyola University Jazz Ensemble, Franklin Avenue B.C. Mass Choir, Small Souljas Brass Band, Val & the Love Alive Fellowship Choir, Single Ladies, Family Ties, Big Nine, and Keep N It Real SAPCs, Second Mount Carmel Gospel Choir, Xavier University Jazz Ensemble, Heritage School of Music Band, Gospel Soul Children, Nine Times Men, Single Men, Dumaine Gang, Divine Ladies, and Lady Jetsetters SAPCs, Red, White & Blue and Wild Mohican Mardi Gras Indians, Reverend Charles Jackson & the Jackson Travelers, Nineveh B.C. Mass Choir, Kid Simmon’s Local International Allstars, Voices of St. Peter Claver, David & Roselyn, Grayhawk, Washboard Leo, Red Hot Brass Band, Kayla Woodson & Louisiana Lightnin’…. Weekend Two (April 30 - May 3)Aretha Franklin, TBA, Sugarland, Ben Harper and Relentless7, Tony Bennett, Kings of Leon, The Neville Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Common, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Buddy Guy, Los Lobos, The O’Jays, Toots & the Maytals, Allen Toussaint, John Mayall, Solomon Burke, Doc Watson, Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, The Whispers, Jakob Dylan, Chuck Brown, Meter Men: Zig, George, and Leo, Kurt Elling, Rance Allen, Cowboy Mouth, Guy Clark, Radiators Aaron Neville, Lil’ Ed & the Blues Imperials, Tab Benoit & the Wetland Allstars, Marcia Ball, Ellis Marsalis, Kermit Ruffins & the Barbecue Swingers, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band, Jon Cleary & the Absolute Monster Gentlemen, Frankie Ford, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, Mississippi Mass Choir, Walter “Wolfman” Washington & the Roadmasters, Anders Osborne, the subdudes, Esperanza Spalding, Patty Griffin, Deacon John, Chris Thomas King, Kind of Blue @ 50 Tribute to Miles Davis feat. Jimmy Cobb, Wallace Roney, Larry Willis, and Buster Williams, John Scofield & the Piety Street Band, George Wein & the Newport Allstars feat. Randy Brecker, VaShawn Mitchell & Friends, Nicholas Payton, Linda Tillery & the Cultural Heritage Choir, Irvin Mayfield & the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Bonerama, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, The Genius of Sidney Bechet: A Tribute feat. Bob Wilber, Dr. Michael White, and Brian “Breeze” Cayolle, Delfeayo Marsalis Quintet, Geno Delafose & French Rockin’ Boogie, Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas, Theresa Andersson, Cedric Burnside & Lightnin’ Malcolm, Bobby Lounge feat. Sarah Quintana, Chieck Hamala Diabate of Mali, The Iguanas, Treme Brass Band, Lars Edegran & the New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra, Lionel Ferbos & the Palm Court Jazz Band, Fredy Omar con su Banda, Rosie Ledet & the Zydeco Playboys, Big Chief Bo Dollis & the Wild Magnolias, Soul Rebels, Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys, Luther Kent & Trickbag, Banu Gibson’s Hot Jazz with Bucky Pizzarelli, Mark Braud, Sunpie & the Louisiana Sunspots, Marva Wright & the BMWs, Kenny Bill Stinson & the Ark-LA-Mystics, Gregg Stafford’s Jazz Hounds’ Tribute to Danny Barker feat. Juanita Brooks, Eric Lindell, C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band, Rumba Buena, Roddie Romero & the Hub City Allstars, Charmaine Neville Band, Eddie Bo, Ori Danse Club of Benin, Crocodile Gumboot Dancers of South Africa, Rotary Downs, George French & the New Orleans Storyville Jazz Band, Walter Payton & Filé Gumbo, Dash Rip Rock, John Boutté, Sonny Bourg & the Bayou Blues Band, Johnny Sketch & the Dirty Notes, Sherman Robertson, Honey Island Swamp Band, The Revealers, I’Voire Spectacle feat. Seguenon Kone, Alex McMurray, 101 Runners, Midnite Disturbers, Paulin Brothers Brass Band, Big Chief Peppy & the Golden Arrows Mardi Gras Indians, D.L. Menard & the Louisiana Aces, James Rivers Movement, Otra, Tony Green’s Gypsy Jazz, New Orleans Klezmer Allstars, John Rankin, Betsy McGovern & the Poor Clares, Kenny Neal, Lil’ Brian & the Travelers, Jeremy Davenport, Keith Frank & the Soileau Zydeco Band, Jamal Batiste & the Jam-Allstars, Ensemble Fatien feat. Seguenon Kone, Dr. Michael White, and Jason Marsalis, Sharon Martin, St. Louis Slim, Bryan Lee & the Blues Power Band, TBC Brass Band, Lady Rollers, Original C.T.C., and Nine Times Ladies SAPCs, Feufollet, War Chief Juan & Young Fire and White Cloud Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, New Orleans Bingo! Show, David Egan, Kidd Jordan-Al Fielder & the IAQ, Drew Landry Band, Driskill Mountain Boys, Jumpin’ Johnny Sansone, Washboard Chaz, Bamboula 2000, Danza, Marisa y Mariachi Agave, J. Monque’D Blues Band, Cedric Watson, Twangorama, Higher Heights, Tim Laughlin, Elysian Fieldz, Percussion Inc., Pinettes Brass Band, Scene Boosters, Old N Nu Fellas, Secondline Jammers, and Ladies of Unity SAPCs, Little Freddie King Blues Band, Glen David Andrews, Po’ Henry & Tookie, Sherman Washington & the Zion Harmonizers, Culu Children’s Traditional African Dance Ensemble, Paky Saavedra’s Bandido, New Orleans Mardi Gras Indian Rhythm Section, Bob French & the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band, Shamarr Allen, Free Agents Brass Band, Jambalaya Cajun Band, Benny Grunch & the Bunch, Javier Tobar & Elegant Gypsy, Creole Zydeco Farmers, Bonsoir Catin, Corey Ledet, Gina Brown, Reggie Hall & the Twilighters feat. Lady Bee, Forgotten Souls Brass Band, Young Magnolias, Golden Sioux, and Black Feathers Mardi Gras Indians, New Leviathan Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra, Westbank Steppers, Valley of Silent Men, and Pigeon Town Steppers SAPCs, Doreen’s Jazz New Orleans, Truth Universal & Jimi Clever, Shades of Praise Gospel Singers, Brother Tyrone, Lazarus, Berard Family Band, New Orleans Jazz Ramblers, Courtney Bryan Trio, Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz, DJ Captain Charles, Blodie’s Jazz Jam, New Orleans Helsinki Project, Original Last Straws, Chris Clifton, Panorama Jazz Band, Mario Abney, John Lee & the Heralds of Christ, Original Dixieland Jazz Band, Hot Club of New Orleans, The Moonshiners, Clarinet Woodshed feat. Evan Christopher and Gregory Agid, SUBR Jazz Ensemble, Michael Ward, DJ Soul Sister, The Johnson Extension, Black Eagles, Geronimo Hunters, Wild Tchoupitoulas, and Wild Apaches Mardi Gras Indians, Watson Memorial Teaching Ministries, Tulane University Jazz Ensemble, First Emmanuel Baptist Church Choir, Louis Ford & his New Orleans Flairs, Fi Yi Yi & the Mandingo Warriors, Red Hawk, and Black Seminoles Mardi Gras Indians, Leviticus Gospel Choir, Dillard University Jazz Ensemble, Bester Singers and the Dynamic Smooth Family Gospel Singers, Bon Temps Roulez, New Generation, and Undefeated Divas SAPCs, The Electrifying Crownseekers, Pinstripe Brass Band, Ebenezer Baptist Church Mass Choir, Trouble Nation and Ninth Ward Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Famous Rocks of Harmony, Highsteppers Brass Band, McMain High School Gospel Choir, Voices of Distinction, Gal Holiday, Lyle Henderson & Emmanuel, Coolie Family Gospel Singers, Original Big 7 and Original 4 SAPCs, Tornado Brass Band, Eddie “Chops” Paris, Golden Blade, Wild Red Flame, and Mohawk Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Morning Star B.C. Mass Choir, New Wave Brass Band, Julio y Cesar Band, First Emmanuel Church Gospel Choir, Greater Antioch Full Gospel B.C. Mass Choir, Roderick Paulin, N’Kafu African Dance Ensemble, Original Prince of Wales and the Original Lady Buckjumpers SAPCs, Johnette Downing, Young Guardians of the Flame, Eric McAllister, N'Fungola Sibo West African Dance Company, Mt. Hermon B.C. Mass Choir ….

Jazzfest falls right around my 30th birthday. I may need to make a return trip!

To the poster who asked about safety walking around, I had no problems stumbling back to my hotel around 2~3 in the morning the last time I was there (look back in this thread to see when that was.) Lots of well lighted areas and streets, tons of people still walking around that time of night.

I'll be heading out there with the wife from Dec 26th-30th. staying at the Ritz, and gonna hit up the Saints game on the 28th. I'm digging all the suggestions in this thread, and I'm hoping to hit up as many different spots as possible. couple questions... where's a good spot to buy Saints gear, as well as souvenirs and stuff like that? also, can anybody recommend a good tour (Katrina, bayou, etc.)?

I specifically haven't planned a lot of stuff to do because I want to have enough time to wander (or stagger) around without having to be somewhere at a certain time. but I want to plan a couple nice things for my wife since she surprised me with the tickets for the game.

and one of the days we'll definitely have to cab it out to Dante's to see what all the fuss is about!

I have to protest this. The Court of Two sisters should have closed its doors decades ago. I have been 3 times over the course of my life and it is the most overrated place in the FQ if not the entire city. The food was below average to downright terrible....I've had the same quality of food at Shoneys....seriously. The utensils I had last time (and I do mean LAST) were filthy. My coffee cup had shmutz on it. My water glass actually had a foul odor to it. And our service was worse than a freaking waffle house.

It does have a nice courtyard. That was the only thing ok with the place imho. There are so many great restaurants in this city but the Court of Two Sisters is at the very bottom of the list imho.
I went to the Court of Two Sisters once because my gf at the time was meeting friends & family there. My experience matched tipsy's description, and I would never choose to go to that place.

Need some insight from you N'Awlins insiders...

I'll be there from Dec 31st - Jan 3rd...going to the Sugar Bowl on the 2nd night.

I'd like to see someone play live somewhere...I'd have to be the 31st or 1st. I see Galactic is at Tipitina's on the 31st, Better than Ezra at the HOB on the 31st...but couldn't find much else.

Was really hoping the Meters, Nevilles, or another NO legendary act would be playing somewhere.

You guys have any insight on live shows those days?

Need some insight from you N'Awlins insiders...I'll be there from Dec 31st - Jan 3rd...going to the Sugar Bowl on the 2nd night.I'd like to see someone play live somewhere...I'd have to be the 31st or 1st. I see Galactic is at Tipitina's on the 31st, Better than Ezra at the HOB on the 31st...but couldn't find much else.Was really hoping the Meters, Nevilles, or another NO legendary act would be playing somewhere.You guys have any insight on live shows those days?
Shoot me a pm

I'll be heading out there with the wife from Dec 26th-30th. staying at the Ritz, and gonna hit up the Saints game on the 28th. I'm digging all the suggestions in this thread, and I'm hoping to hit up as many different spots as possible. couple questions... where's a good spot to buy Saints gear, as well as souvenirs and stuff like that? also, can anybody recommend a good tour (Katrina, bayou, etc.)?

I specifically haven't planned a lot of stuff to do because I want to have enough time to wander (or stagger) around without having to be somewhere at a certain time. but I want to plan a couple nice things for my wife since she surprised me with the tickets for the game.

and one of the days we'll definitely have to cab it out to Dante's to see what all the fuss is about!
bump.also, we're going to the game on the 28th and staying within walking distance of the Dome. where's a good spot to get some pre-game drinks?

and what's a good day/time to come through Dante's?

bump.also, we're going to the game on the 28th and staying within walking distance of the Dome. where's a good spot to get some pre-game drinks?

If you want Saints gear, take a walk to the Riverwalk, and there's at least one store in there that sells it. You won't have any problem finding souvenirs in the french quarter. Since it's an early game, try to hit a brunch or something close to your hotel....there isn't that many bars around the dome.....most people close to the dome are just tailgaiting.PM Tipsy about Dante's..

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :rolleyes: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Anyway, would very much appreciate any suggestions on a place where we could watch the Super Bowl. I do not want it to be TOO crazy, but a lively-ish place with decent food. Oh, and where we won't have to get there a thousand hours in advance to secure a spot. Thanks very much for any ideas.

Need some insight from you N'Awlins insiders...I'll be there from Dec 31st - Jan 3rd...going to the Sugar Bowl on the 2nd night.I'd like to see someone play live somewhere...I'd have to be the 31st or 1st. I see Galactic is at Tipitina's on the 31st, Better than Ezra at the HOB on the 31st...but couldn't find much else.Was really hoping the Meters, Nevilles, or another NO legendary act would be playing somewhere.You guys have any insight on live shows those days?
Shoot me a pm
Anyone got any advice on live bands on the 31st or 1st?

There's a place called "The Saints Shop" on the Riverwalk (also by Oakwood if you're on the west bank) that has all kinds of stuff (even saints salt and pepper shakers).

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :lmao: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Anyway, would very much appreciate any suggestions on a place where we could watch the Super Bowl. I do not want it to be TOO crazy, but a lively-ish place with decent food. Oh, and where we won't have to get there a thousand hours in advance to secure a spot. Thanks very much for any ideas.
Where are you staying?

Tiger Fan said:

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :bag: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.

gump said:
Shoot me a pm
Anyone got any advice on live bands on the 31st or 1st?
Sorry Gump been busy, I'll shoot you a pm tonight!!!

Tiger Fan said:

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :lmao: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.
Any bar in the Quarter is going to have the game on. There aren't too many sports barish type places where you can except to sit down and be served food for the entire game. One option is Checkpoint Parrot on Royal St....it's a sports bar, but the food isn't new orleans food...it's sports bar food.

Tiger Fan said:

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.
Any bar in the Quarter is going to have the game on. There aren't too many sports barish type places where you can except to sit down and be served food for the entire game. One option is Checkpoint Parrot on Royal St....it's a sports bar, but the food isn't new orleans food...it's sports bar food.
We're happy to travel, via cab or trolley, to another area and avoid the Quarter if you think that would be better. For instance, I love Cooter Brown's but assume that place will be way too packed to get in.

Tiger Fan said:

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :shrug: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.
We're happy to travel, via cab or trolley, to another area and avoid the Quarter if you think that would be better. For instance, I love Cooter Brown's but assume that place will be way too packed to get in.
I can't speak from experience b/c I typically watch the SB at someone's house...but here's a list of places that I would watch it at that have good food and you can take the cab/trolly to.Got the perfect place for you - Gordon Birsch - it's located right next to the Casino. It's a chain, but the food is good IMO. Big enough where you shouldn't have to go too early.

Others:

Cooter Brown's - uptown, on street car route

Fat Harry's - uptown, on street car route

Acme Oyster House (in the french quarter - 99% sure they have flat screens, but you probably want to call to check)

Bruno's - uptown, take a cab

Tiger Fan said:

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :shrug: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.
I can't speak from experience b/c I typically watch the SB at someone's house...but here's a list of places that I would watch it at that have good food and you can take the cab/trolly to.Got the perfect place for you - Gordon Birsch - it's located right next to the Casino. It's a chain, but the food is good IMO. Big enough where you shouldn't have to go too early.

Others:

Acme Oyster House (in the french quarter - 99% sure they have flat screens, but you probably want to call to check)

Kabby's sports bar in the riverwalk

Tiger Fan said:

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :bag: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.

Others:

Is that the one in the hilton? Forgot about that one

Tiger Fan said:

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :( I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.

Others:

Thank you both so much! I have heard about Acme and had thought about checking that out, and I love Cooter Brown's! I'll check out Gordon Birsch as a first choice--might be a chain but it's not a chain we have here, so it's fine with me. I really appreciate all the suggestions. Very cool of you. :mellow:

Tiger Fan said:

Not a New Orleanian (?), but I've been doing a lot of research before a trip at Super Bowl time, and I've seen GREAT recommendations for any of Bloody Mary's tours as well as the various tours here, including a Katrina tour. Check out the reviews of these and others at Tripadvisor.I am going to New Orleans for a long weekend around Super Bowl with my mom and stepfather, and boyfriend. We are going to visit Tipsy's, though I realized last night that I went there last year without realizing I had been there! :confused: I was looking at his website and figured out that we had gone there as we were staying with friends just a couple of blocks away--the food was indeed great.

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.

Others:

yep

I just wanted to give a quick recap of my trip to the Big Easy.

the wife and I flew in Friday night, the 26th. checked in at the Ritz and then went wandering the French Quarter. had many drinks and ate some alligator sausage. walked by an impromptu jazz concert by a bunch of young guys on the corner of bourbon and canal streets around midnight. it was awesome.
Saturday afternoon, rode the streetcar out to Dante's for brunch. (I was wearing a yellow shirt with a tiger on it if you were there, Tipsy) I had the shrimp and grits and my wife has the eggs benedict, which I got to try. everything was really great. the eggs benedict was actually my wife's favorite thing the whole time we were in town. goofed around more during the afternoon, then took the Steamboat Natchez dinner cruise in the evening. the food was just meh, and in retrospect, we probably should have taken the boat during the day when you can see more. although, the city lights on the way back were great. ended up at Cafe Du Monde at about 1 in the morning, and it was ridiculous how many people were there. we had to wait 10 minutes for a table to open up. when we FINALLY got served, we came to the conclusion that CDM is all hype. just a place to see and be seen. but I do think they mix in some crack with all of that powdered sugar, because I could feel myself getting more addicted with every bite I took.
Sunday was gameday against the Panthers, and I can't describe the feeling of walking to the dome amidst a sea of black and gold. our seats were about 10 rows behind the Saints bench, and I felt like a little kid in awe seeing all the guys right there. seeing Drew walking the sidelines and pumping up the offense when they were down was an experience I won't forget. and even though we lost and Drew didn't get the record, I couldn't have asked for a better game to watch; to come from 20 points down and have Drew be within 16 yards of the record was amazing. after a little rest at the hotel (I was pretty hammered), we went to dinner at Tujague's. big disappointment. we could have gone somewhere much better and cheaper.
Monday we had lunch at Johnny's Po Boys where the lines were chaotic, and the food was good. but they have too many things on the menu...I couldn't decide. ended up with the crawfish po boy, which I enjoyed. took a Katrina bus tour, which was amazing. just hearing our guide talk was great because he was this funny older guy, and knew the history of everything in the city. the tour was amazing and depressing, but also inspiring as you see people and neighborhoods trying to rebuild. one thing that struck a chord with me is all of the businesses that you can tell closed because of Katrina, and just never came back... we had dinner at Louisiana Pizza Kitchen, which was awesome. I had the jambalaya pizza, and I have to say that might have been my favorite thing the entire time. too bad I only found it on my last night in town. ended up at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop to have some drinks and listen to music. that's a dope place. you can really get the vibe of people hanging out there 200 years ago or whatever.
did some shopping on Tuesday, ate lunch at Palace Cafe, and checked out the aquarium. the aquarium was cool, but definitely more for kids. stopped for a couple drinks on bourbon street, and then we had to head to the airport for our evening flight home.all in all, I had an amazing time. I have been a Saints fan for over 20 years, but I've never been to the city before, which is actually pretty embarrassing to admit. but I can't think of a place I would rather have gone to for our vacation. we both loved every minute of it, and we plan to go to at least 1 game in the dome every season from now on.

I just wanted to give a quick recap of my trip to the Big Easy.

the wife and I flew in Friday night, the 26th. checked in at the Ritz and then went wandering the French Quarter. had many drinks and ate some alligator sausage. walked by an impromptu jazz concert by a bunch of young guys on the corner of bourbon and canal streets around midnight. it was awesome.
Saturday afternoon, rode the streetcar out to Dante's for brunch. (I was wearing a yellow shirt with a tiger on it if you were there, Tipsy) I had the shrimp and grits and my wife has the eggs benedict, which I got to try. everything was really great. the eggs benedict was actually my wife's favorite thing the whole time we were in town. goofed around more during the afternoon, then took the Steamboat Natchez dinner cruise in the evening. the food was just meh, and in retrospect, we probably should have taken the boat during the day when you can see more. although, the city lights on the way back were great. ended up at Cafe Du Monde at about 1 in the morning, and it was ridiculous how many people were there. we had to wait 10 minutes for a table to open up. when we FINALLY got served, we came to the conclusion that CDM is all hype. just a place to see and be seen. but I do think they mix in some crack with all of that powdered sugar, because I could feel myself getting more addicted with every bite I took.
Sunday was gameday against the Panthers, and I can't describe the feeling of walking to the dome amidst a sea of black and gold. our seats were about 10 rows behind the Saints bench, and I felt like a little kid in awe seeing all the guys right there. seeing Drew walking the sidelines and pumping up the offense when they were down was an experience I won't forget. and even though we lost and Drew didn't get the record, I couldn't have asked for a better game to watch; to come from 20 points down and have Drew be within 16 yards of the record was amazing. after a little rest at the hotel (I was pretty hammered), we went to dinner at Tujague's. big disappointment. we could have gone somewhere much better and cheaper.
Monday we had lunch at Johnny's Po Boys where the lines were chaotic, and the food was good. but they have too many things on the menu...I couldn't decide. ended up with the crawfish po boy, which I enjoyed. took a Katrina bus tour, which was amazing. just hearing our guide talk was great because he was this funny older guy, and knew the history of everything in the city. the tour was amazing and depressing, but also inspiring as you see people and neighborhoods trying to rebuild. one thing that struck a chord with me is all of the businesses that you can tell closed because of Katrina, and just never came back... we had dinner at Louisiana Pizza Kitchen, which was awesome. I had the jambalaya pizza, and I have to say that might have been my favorite thing the entire time. too bad I only found it on my last night in town. ended up at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop to have some drinks and listen to music. that's a dope place. you can really get the vibe of people hanging out there 200 years ago or whatever.
did some shopping on Tuesday, ate lunch at Palace Cafe, and checked out the aquarium. the aquarium was cool, but definitely more for kids. stopped for a couple drinks on bourbon street, and then we had to head to the airport for our evening flight home.all in all, I had an amazing time. I have been a Saints fan for over 20 years, but I've never been to the city before, which is actually pretty embarrassing to admit. but I can't think of a place I would rather have gone to for our vacation. we both loved every minute of it, and we plan to go to at least 1 game in the dome every season from now on.
Who Dat!There's no place like Dome.

I have a good suggestion for Sunday Brunch for those attending Saints games. There is a place called Lil Dizzy's on the first floor of the Whitney Wyndham at the corner of Poydras and Camp. It's owned by the Bacquet family who, if you know anything about New Orleans food, is a very well known New Orleans food family. In the 70's, they ran a place called Eddie's which was famous for it's downhome Creole cuisine and they also ran a place call Zachary's Uptown for years.

Anyway, the brunch is $19.95 and it's sort of the anti Court of Two Sisters, in a way. Court of Two Sisters has a lot of stuff on their brunch and it's expensive and none of it is especially good. Lil Dizzy's only has a few items, so it's nothing huge, but EVERYTHING is very good. Good omlet station. Great gumbo, fried chicken, baked macaroni, grits, breakfast potatoes, and french toast. They also usually have a vegetable of some sort and sometimes a salad bar. Great bread pudding, also. Anyway, for $19.95 (that includes Mimosa if you want to go that route), it's a great way to fill up and avoid the overpriced hot dogs and nachos in the Dome. Also, it's a few blocks from the Dome, so you can walk some of it off.

Have been meaning to post a big thanks to Tipsy for the Hospitality yet again over my vaction. The GF and I (as well as my brother and his wife) drove over to NOLA from Destin, FL for a night with the PRIMARY reason being to have dinner at Dante's They did not disappoint as usual.

For apps we had the spoonbread (Lagniappe), the Mussels, and of course the Shrimp Grits :excited: All 3 were stellar.

I had the duck (I'd rate it a 9/10).. the GF had the Chicken under a Brick (10/10).... Brother had the Trois Mingion (9.5/10) and his wife had the SHepards Pie that I didn't try since she was sick. Everyone was VERY happy with the meal. Sides ranged from the Barqs Sweet Potatoes, Carmelized Onion mashed Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts and, my fave, the Beet-Laced Winter Greens. DAMN those were good. :hey:

The wine was great and Tipsy.. my apologies to the bartender for leaving half the "Irish Coffee" behind. After an afternoon in the quarter, 2 bottles of wine wth dinner, and having plans to hit the quarter after....we were in no shape to kill those things. Hell I was afraid to get them too close to a candle. :lmao:

My apologies for forgetting to get the BBQ sauce together for the trip.... things were rushed. My bad.. I'll be shooting you a care package at the restaurant sometime soon as promised. Thanks again man.

Met ChrisCooleyFan for a bit as well. Great guy and Mrs CCF is indeed hot in person as well :lmao: Good guy who offered some great pointers for around town. :thumbup: Hope you guys enjoyed the shots :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Where are you staying?
On Poydras St.

Others:

Kabby's is gone. :kicksrock:

[icon] said:
Have been meaning to post a big thanks to Tipsy for the Hospitality yet again over my vaction. The GF and I (as well as my brother and his wife) drove over to NOLA from Destin, FL for a night with the PRIMARY reason being to have dinner at Dante's They did not disappoint as usual. For apps we had the spoonbread (Lagniappe), the Mussels, and of course the Shrimp Grits :kicksrock: All 3 were stellar. I had the duck (I'd rate it a 9/10).. the GF had the Chicken under a Brick (10/10).... Brother had the Trois Mingion (9.5/10) and his wife had the SHepards Pie that I didn't try since she was sick. Everyone was VERY happy with the meal. Sides ranged from the Barqs Sweet Potatoes, Carmelized Onion mashed Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts and, my fave, the Beet-Laced Winter Greens. DAMN those were good. :lmao: The wine was great and Tipsy.. my apologies to the bartender for leaving half the "Irish Coffee" behind. After an afternoon in the quarter, 2 bottles of wine wth dinner, and having plans to hit the quarter after....we were in no shape to kill those things. Hell I was afraid to get them too close to a candle. :lmao:My apologies for forgetting to get the BBQ sauce together for the trip.... things were rushed. My bad.. I'll be shooting you a care package at the restaurant sometime soon as promised. Thanks again man. Met ChrisCooleyFan for a bit as well. Great guy and Mrs CCF is indeed hot in person as well :lmao: Good guy who offered some great pointers for around town. :lmao: Hope you guys enjoyed the shots :)
:lmao: :lmao: I drank both shots and was feeling frisky :lmao: Thnaks again, let me know when you'll be back in town

I have a good suggestion for Sunday Brunch for those attending Saints games. There is a place called Lil Dizzy's on the first floor of the Whitney Wyndham at the corner of Poydras and Camp. It's owned by the Bacquet family who, if you know anything about New Orleans food, is a very well known New Orleans food family. In the 70's, they ran a place called Eddie's which was famous for it's downhome Creole cuisine and they also ran a place call Zachary's Uptown for years.Anyway, the brunch is $19.95 and it's sort of the anti Court of Two Sisters, in a way. Court of Two Sisters has a lot of stuff on their brunch and it's expensive and none of it is especially good. Lil Dizzy's only has a few items, so it's nothing huge, but EVERYTHING is very good. Good omlet station. Great gumbo, fried chicken, baked macaroni, grits, breakfast potatoes, and french toast. They also usually have a vegetable of some sort and sometimes a salad bar. Great bread pudding, also. Anyway, for $19.95 (that includes Mimosa if you want to go that route), it's a great way to fill up and avoid the overpriced hot dogs and nachos in the Dome. Also, it's a few blocks from the Dome, so you can walk some of it off.
The Chef was the same guy who taught Mrs. TF and I's class @ New Orleans School of Cooking. We've been meaning to try this out. We will definitely be pulling this off next football season :thumbup:

You know what might be a good idea? For all of us (and some of us displaced) Saints fan to attempt to pick a game next year and attend that game. It would be great to attend a Saints game with a bunch of FBG bretheren(& SOs).

You know what might be a good idea? For all of us (and some of us displaced) Saints fan to attempt to pick a game next year and attend that game. It would be great to attend a Saints game with a bunch of FBG bretheren(& SOs).
Saints play the Skins in DC! Roadtrip :lmao:

season ticket holder here

Users who are viewing this thread