What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre WILL RETIRE if he wins the SB against NE (1 Viewer)

Will Favre retire if he wins the SB vs NE?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jbalicki10

Footballguy
Even though Favre stated that he will play next year, I believe he will retire if he beats NE in the Super Bowl.

Think about it:

A) He will have beaten THE BEST TEAM in the history of football.

B) He can retire at the highest point of his career

C) When people think about the Super Bowl, this upset will be synonymous to his name as the greatest ever

I'm not a GB fan, I'm a Bears fan. That's saying alot.

What say yuo?

I say GB needs to beat the Giants first, and NE needs to be San Diego for this to even be relevant. If it turns out these two meet in the SB, and GB wins, no I don't think Favre will retire.

I've thought about this a lot and earlier I was saying I wouldn't want him to go ever, but I've changed my thinking a bit. If he beats Brady and the Pats in the SB, I think I want him to retire. What Packer fan wouldn't want him to end a storybook career by beating one of the best teams to ever play the game? What a way to go out and I'd gladly accept a few down years to see him walk away after that. I'm so happy at this point for all he's given us fans that I couldn't possibly expect him to give us anymore after accomplishing a monumental feat like that. I'd accept his retirement, cry in my beer for awhile, and live in the memories.

I say GB needs to beat the Giants first, and NE needs to be San Diego for this to even be relevant. If it turns out these two meet in the SB, and GB wins, no I don't think Favre will retire.
That's pretty much where the "if" comes in.

Favre is still playing because this year was fun.

The year after his second championship in GB would be like a heavenly football dream. I don't see him passing that up, he would just miss playing while he still could play, and still could win, in the afterglow of a championship.

I think Farve loves the game too much for this situation to end his career, IMO I see it happening 2 ways. 1) He get so beaten up that his body makes the decision and forces his mind to comply 2) No team wants anything to do with him and refuses to offer him a contract. 1 is the most likely, 2 probably won't happen seeing Carolina signed 44 yo Testaverde this year and Farve isn't close to that age and is loads better Testaverde ever thought about being.

Even though Favre stated that he will play next year, I believe he will retire if he beats NE in the Super Bowl.Think about it:A) He will have beaten THE BEST TEAM in the history of football.
If the Packers beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, that eliminates any chance of the Patriots being called "THE BEST TEAM in the history of football."

after having watched Favre play...

I don't think winning the Super Bowl is what will get Favre to retire... if you really think that, I don't think you know as much about Brett Favre as you think you do...

John Elway squeezed out one more year when his body was close to giving up on him. Favre is still fit and hungry. I expect him to play for a long time yet. Mike Sherman's terrible coaching took a lot out of him, but now with Mike McCarthy in place for the rest of Favre's career I don't see anything stopping him unless his health gives out. He could still win a few more SBs. Brett Favre forever.

No. What's he going to do? Hunting and fishing the rest of his life? He has said you can't be very competetive riding a lawn tractor so he keeps coming back.

I've thought about this a lot and earlier I was saying I wouldn't want him to go ever, but I've changed my thinking a bit. If he beats Brady and the Pats in the SB, I think I want him to retire. What Packer fan wouldn't want him to end a storybook career by beating one of the best teams to ever play the game? What a way to go out and I'd gladly accept a few down years to see him walk away after that. I'm so happy at this point for all he's given us fans that I couldn't possibly expect him to give us anymore after accomplishing a monumental feat like that. I'd accept his retirement, cry in my beer for awhile, and live in the memories.
Favre/GB fans have been doing that for the past 10 years. Ya gots enough practice by now, no? :blackdot:

after having watched Favre play...I don't think winning the Super Bowl is what will get Favre to retire... if you really think that, I don't think you know as much about Brett Favre as you think you do...
Yep... he loves the game... it's not about awards and being famous. He just loves to play the game.

Of course it's a huge "if", but if GB beats NE for the super bowl, I'd be shocked if he didn't retire. Seems like a no brainer.

J

Of course it's a huge "if", but if GB beats NE for the super bowl, I'd be shocked if he didn't retire. Seems like a no brainer.J
I don't understand this idea at all. From the football fan's point of view it might be satisfying to say that this was his final game. But for Favre, it is his life. His primary concern will be what he wants to do for the next year, not whether somebody looking back on his career will feel like it followed some logical order to completion. In fact, I believe any athelete who says they retire because they want to quit on top is just fooling themselves. They quit because they no longer want to play the game, whether it is because they can no longer do it physically or because they have lost the passion for the game. Favre still has the passion for the game and he doesn't have another career he wants to get started on. Physically he is still able to perform. His family is solidly behind him continuing his career. There is nothing to stop him from playing another year. Winning the SB is a good thing. Not a bad thing. That will encourage him even more to come back again.

Brett Favre will play football until playing football is no longer fun for him. Has nothing to do with going out on top. I don't think he cares about that at all. The guy loves going to work every day. Why would he stop?

Favre is an outdoorsman. Loves to fish. He loves golf and is good at it but not on a pro level. In 1999 he briefly teamed up with Dale Jarrett to form Jarrett-Favre racing. Jarrett Favre Motorsports might not still be an entity though. I know they ran into problems as a business. Its possible the bad business experience with Dale Jarrett has since made Favre decide to stick it out with the QB gig as long as he can.

John Elway squeezed out one more year when his body was close to giving up on him. Favre is still fit and hungry. I expect him to play for a long time yet. Mike Sherman's terrible coaching took a lot out of him, but now with Mike McCarthy in place for the rest of Favre's career I don't see anything stopping him unless his health gives out. He could still win a few more SBs. Brett Favre forever.
I agree with this. Think about it, he has a set of premiere WR's, a major stud in RB Ryan Grant, an O-Line that is really coming together and only gave up 16 sacks for the year, A stellar DEF that will improve even more next year. Why would he retire?

I agree with this. Think about it, he has a set of premiere WR's, a major stud in RB Ryan Grant, an O-Line that is really coming together and only gave up 16 sacks for the year, A stellar DEF that will improve even more next year. Why would he retire?
Exactly...Brett Favre gets to have fun and play with, by far, the most talented team he has ever been surrounded with...Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, & Martin are the best WRs Favre has ever had to throw the ball to... Sure, Sharpe is the best WR, but he didn't have anyone else when he had Sharpe...I think Grant is a very good RB, but don't discount how good Jackson & Wynn are, and all 3 of them are only rookies... one way or the other I think the Packers have a stud back in thier backfirled for years to come because of this offseason...and that defense is just awesome... Woodson & Harris can go 1-on-1 with anyone... Hawk & Barnett are both great LBs... and that DL that we have is just awesome an absurdly deep, too. Then add Bigby & Collins at S and Blackmon, Williams, & Bush backing up the corners... this defense is seriously stacked...I just.. I really don't see any way Brett Favre, the guy who is still playing only because he loves the game and still CAN play, would retire because he won a Super Bowl...

Brett Favre will play football until playing football is no longer fun for him. Has nothing to do with going out on top. I don't think he cares about that at all. The guy loves going to work every day. Why would he stop?
That has been my contention all along. Add to that the fact that a season after winning a SB would be THAT MUCH MORE FUN and I just don't see it.Of course, it will be a moot point but we need something to discuss here as the games dwindle from 16, to 6, to 4... and now 2 this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is going to be an article is SI this week on this topic. The reason he said something to his home town paper last week related to a conversation he had with his 8 year daughter while at home during the bye week. She wants him to play not stay at home. It will be interesting to see the article. Why retire when you are on a young talented team. Elway got out as they needed to rebuild and it was time to go.

Exactly...

I think Grant is a very good RB, but don't discount how good Jackson & Wynn are, and all 3 of them are only rookies... one way or the other I think the Packers have a stud back in thier backfirled for years to come because of this offseason...
Grant is in his 3rd year on an NFL team but is considered a 1st year player. Not a rookie, although what you said isn't way off. Just pointing out the facts.For the record I think all 3 of those guys have shown flashes. Obviously, Grant looks like a great player. However, Wynn and Jackson both look like solid options who will be given chances to start one day if not in Green Bay.

If GB wins the SuperBowl there is no way Favre should come back.

Favre been ready to retire the last three years..to leave with a SuperBowl win would be incredible.

Favre just looks like he's having too much fun this season. Its tough to walk away from a team that's become this good, while he's playing this good individually, while doing something the man loves that just looks like such fun. I dont see it happening. I think he comes back, win or lose in the Superbowl. But the way the Giants are playing on the road right now, there's certainly no guarantees of Favre even getting there.

Users who are viewing this thread