What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Scotch Whisky Thread (1 Viewer)

I just think if you are drinking really good scotch that diluting it takes away from the drinking experience. Perhaps a drop of water or two into it neat but otherwise you are just robbing yourself of enjoying the scotch at its optimum.
Couple responses:

I like drinking it cold and always have. But I don’t let it sit in the ice for ages—I start drinking right away so it’s only minimally diluted. 

Cool thing though is it changes the drinking experience over time as you drink. The first sip is pretty pure, but by the end it’s thinner and smoothed. I found that particular helpful with the bottles of things like Macallan Cask Strength I used to keep around but haven’t seen on shelves in ages.  It’s super dark and heavy in the beginning, almost too much so, but mellows out over time through the drink as the ice melts and becomes pretty fantastic. 

Sometimes I’ll sip a scotch neat, but more often prefer one giant cube (melts slower). I have some big ice cube trays that make great cubes for this purpose.

Tried Scotch ages ago and thought it tasted like swamp ###. Twenty years later I love bourbon and find myself working my way through Irish whiskies and want to give Scotch another chance.

What is a good bottle to start with? Baby steps 
I cut my teeth on Balvenie Doublewood 12.  It's a sweet-ish speyside. It's excellent for a novice.  And I still keep a bottle around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I claimed my dad's single malt scotch collection when he passed away and I've brought a few bottles home to enjoy over the last year when visiting with my mom. He had some Glenlivet 18 which I have really enjoyed, but save for special occasions. A couple of weeks ago, my step brother was in visiting and I went to visit with he and my mom, and in the back of one of the cabinets, we found this Royal Lochnagar Selected Reserve, with about 2 fingers left. We split it between 2 glasses and had a little afternoon toast. Best scotch I've had to date. Super smooth and nice flavor. Highly recommend. 

Going to back in Scotland next month. Anybody have any recommendations for great distillery tours? I have seen lots of distilleries, so not really looking for generic tours. Looking for places that offer something that has a bit of an exclusive tasting experience.

I have a Yankee Swap with alcohol with a bunch of friends this weekend. Was thinking of maybe getting a good bottle of scotch for it in the $40-$60 price range. Any recommendations that you think would make a good gift that people would fight for?

Some options I've come across (not a big scotch guy so more so google research):

Highland Park 12 Year

Monkey Shoulder

Any suggestions/notes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 
Can't believe this is the only post referencing monkey shoulder.

I've been looking for a scotch or even an Irish whiskey in the $30-40 range that I like enough to make it my go to. Jack doesn't do it although that was my fall back, Jim certainly doesn't. 4 roses, crown, wild turkey, soco, just don't do it.

But I finally tried monkey shoulder and I might be hooked. https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/5016/monkey-shoulder just a solid whiskey all around, neat, on the rocks or with water. I don't use mixers other than water. 

Unless anyone has recommendations, I think I've found my drink. 

On the other hand, I bought some https://www.qualityliquorstore.com/serpents-bite-apple-cider-whisky/ serpent's bite when a buddy came over. Didn't hate it but couldn't drink it often.

Recently had Highland Park Magnus for the first time.  Very good value for around $40 imo.

As a bonus, when I went to check it out on their website, and clicked through to their online retailer, I ran across this recipe, a riff on an old fashioned that they call a "Bold Fashioned".  It's very tasty.

INGREDIENTS

2 ozHighland Park MAGNUS

¼ ozHoney

2 dashesAngostura Bitters

2 dashesChocolate Bitters

RECIPE

Combine ingredients and stir until the honey is diluted.

Add ice and stir until cold.

Strain over a large ice cube or cubes.

Garnish with a twist of lemon and flamed twist of orange.

Just popped open a bottle of Oban 18 that a friend gave me.  First time trying it.  Very nice.  Well balanced and smooth with a touch of smokiness that lingers a while.

I went on a cruise not long ago and had an open bar card that enabled me to sample every scotch and bourbon they had on board. They had a bar called Michael's Club on board that was reminiscent of the old-school men-only NYC steakhouse, lots of wood and ornate brass, etc - and a comparable selection of scotches and bourbons. Highland Park 12, Dalwhinnie 15, Macallan Elegencia and Fine Oak 18 year old, Blanton's, Booker's, Basil Haydens, etc. etc..Of everything I tried (and I probably tried 12-14 scotches and 5-6 bourbons) - the one that stood out most to me, regardless of price, was the Laphroaig 10. At $49.99 at my local ABC, that's all I ever buy now.
Still enjoying the Laphroaig? I have had a few Scotch whiskys, but never completely got the bug. On vacation a few years ago I had Laguvulin for the first time and fell in love with it, but at 100 dollars a bottle at home I never purchased it. So while I was in Rome of all places, this bar was having a Scotch night and had Laphroaig Quarter Cask and loved it as well. Love the peaty smokiness. Bought at bottle of Laphroaig 10 after coming back and I am hooked. I like it with a single small ice cube. Going to seek out some Ardbeg 10 soon.

I've been buying a lot more than I'm drinking the past couple years and am overstocked, but may use this news as an excuse to go pick up a couple more bottles this weekend anyway.

The last bottle I picked up was this one: Deanston 12.  I bought it as a gift, but we ended up not going to the party so I'm keeping it.
:hey:

I've been buying a lot more than I'm drinking the past couple years and am overstocked, but may use this news as an excuse to go pick up a couple more bottles this weekend anyway.

The last bottle I picked up was this one: Deanston 12.  I bought it as a gift, but we ended up not going to the party so I'm keeping it.
You are in MKE area right? 

There is a liquor store in Brookfield that is going out of business. All the booze is 40% off. It is fairly picked over but the scotch aisle has been relatively unscathed. I bought a bottle of Glenlivet fo 15  for $35.94. I am not a scotch guy, but I like to keep a bottle around for guests. 

I will be going back later today and would be happy to take a quick inventory of what they have left for the scotches and shoot you some prices so you wouldn't have to waste a trip only to be disappointed with selection. You do have to buy 6 bottles, but you can mix and match and it can be any liquor.

I got brandy, vodka, and bourbon too. 

Very, very noob here, and hoping for a little guidance...

I recently had one of those sample size servings of Smoky Joe Islay Malt, and really liked the smoky, peaty taste; however, I also suffer from sticker shock when it comes to the larger sizes, as I've always stuck to beer.  Do any of you know of any brand(s) that falls into that smoky, peaty family and runs ~$20 or less? Our local liquor super store has Shieldag on sale for 18.99 (marked down from 21.99) and that seems my best bet from what little I know. TIA.

I recently had one of those sample size servings of Smoky Joe Islay Malt, and really liked the smoky, peaty taste; however, I also suffer from sticker shock when it comes to the larger sizes, as I've always stuck to beer.  Do any of you know of any brand(s) that falls into that smoky, peaty family and runs ~$20 or less? Our local liquor super store has Shieldag on sale for 18.99 (marked down from 21.99) and that seems my best bet from what little I know. TIA.
It's going to be hard to find a decent scotch at that price point. If you're willing to go a tad higher, there are a few pretty good ones. Most of the peaty scotches come for Islay, and that region doesn't produce a ton of scotch, so it's usually a little pricey.

I'm a fan of Laphroaig, and they make a 10 year that's around $45.

I also like Glen Moray and I believe they have a peated scotch (I think it's called "Classic Peated"). I've never had it, but it's in a similar price point, and they make a good scotch.

I know these are about twice what you're asking, and I'm sure there are some decent ones in the $20 range, I just haven't tried any.

It's going to be hard to find a decent scotch at that price point. If you're willing to go a tad higher, there are a few pretty good ones. Most of the peaty scotches come for Islay, and that region doesn't produce a ton of scotch, so it's usually a little pricey.

I also like Glen Moray and I believe they have a peated scotch (I think it's called "Classic Peated"). I've never had it, but it's in a similar price point, and they make a good scotch.

I know these are about twice what you're asking, and I'm sure there are some decent ones in the $20 range, I just haven't tried any.
Laphroaig is a great distillery. I have had it uncut direct from the spirt safe (I don't think this is strictly legal) and aged  30 years. Everything they make is good. They make a quarter cask that is a bit cheaper than the 10. It is aged for less time in small barrels to get a similar flavor. 

It is worth the money to get up to the $40 ish per bottle price point.

There's honestly no way you're going to get a decent Islay for $20.  I've never heard of Shieldag, and there are only 9 active Islay distilleries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_whisky).  Remember, you're going to be drinking this neat or maybe with a rock or two, generally a couple fingers in a glass will be enough most nights.  You're not going to drink half a bottle of Islay in a night - or at least I wouldn't, its just a waste for me after one or maybe two drinks to keep pouring it down.  This isn't the bottle you're going to reach for when you and your buddies stumble in a 3 a.m. and are looking for a nightcap.  That's what the cheaper bourbons and blends are for. I love the peaty Islays and choke pretty hard on the price, but a good bottle will last me a year or two. I hide it in the back on my booze shelf so I don't find one of my neighbors using it to mix with his diet coke at my parties.  I think you can find some decent bottles under $50, but as you learn to love this stuff and get a taste of some of the better Islays (like me, at company functions and client dinners), you will want to open the wallet a bit more.

Also, if its more the smokeyness you like, and not necessarily the expensive scotch, there are a few good american whiskeys that add a smoke flavor. Some use peat and others use hickory and other woods to add smoke to the grains used in the mash.  McArthy's is one. High West Campfire is another.

The Laphroaig 16 is heavenly, but I never find it anywhere anymore, and don’t much like the others.

There's honestly no way you're going to get a decent Islay for $20.  I've never heard of Shieldag, and there are only 9 active Islay distilleries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_whisky).  Remember, you're going to be drinking this neat or maybe with a rock or two, generally a couple fingers in a glass will be enough most nights.  You're not going to drink half a bottle of Islay in a night - or at least I wouldn't, its just a waste for me after one or maybe two drinks to keep pouring it down.  This isn't the bottle you're going to reach for when you and your buddies stumble in a 3 a.m. and are looking for a nightcap.  That's what the cheaper bourbons and blends are for. I love the peaty Islays and choke pretty hard on the price, but a good bottle will last me a year or two. I hide it in the back on my booze shelf so I don't find one of my neighbors using it to mix with his diet coke at my parties.  I think you can find some decent bottles under $50, but as you learn to love this stuff and get a taste of some of the better Islays (like me, at company functions and client dinners), you will want to open the wallet a bit more.

Also, if its more the smokeyness you like, and not necessarily the expensive scotch, there are a few good american whiskeys that add a smoke flavor. Some use peat and others use hickory and other woods to add smoke to the grains used in the mash.  McArthy's is one. High West Campfire is another.
It's definitely sticker shock only and I would fully expect to get a lot of drinks out of one bottle; I'm just think how much my wife  :shock:  if I spend that much in one purchase, no matter how long it lasts, and I haven't even been a drinker since we started dating, so that's even more of a reason to be cautious.

As for smokiness/peatyness, I'm still figuring out that part, but I will keep your suggestions in mind whenever I make my next purchase.

FWIW, they didn't have the Shieldag blend I wanted, so I went with Sir Edwards.It was even cheaper. I hope it lives up to its description...

It's definitely sticker shock only and I would fully expect to get a lot of drinks out of one bottle; I'm just think how much my wife  :shock:  if I spend that much in one purchase, no matter how long it lasts, and I haven't even been a drinker since we started dating, so that's even more of a reason to be cautious.

As for smokiness/peatyness, I'm still figuring out that part, but I will keep your suggestions in mind whenever I make my next purchase.

FWIW, they didn't have the Shieldag blend I wanted, so I went with Sir Edwards.It was even cheaper. I hope it lives up to its description...
Ah...so you are drinking blended, not single malt, scotch.  Most folks in here are usually talking about single malts.  Yes, you can find some economical versions of blended.  I am not much of a fan of the blended varieties, but I guess I cut my teeth on Chivas when I first started to explore the world of Scotch.    I don't know anything about Sir Edwards, but at $13 a bottle, I personally wouldn't expect much from it, but again, I am admittedly biased.  

I had never heard of Shieldaig, so I Googled it real quick.  It appears to be a product of the Ian Macleod Distillery, which actually appears to be located in the Speyside region of Scotland.  They seem to have several varieties of "Shieldaig".  There are versions identified as Highland, Speyside, and Islay under that name, so I do not know what is going on there.  They also have blended versions under the name Shieldaig.   There is a city named Shieldaig located on Loch Shieldaig sort of on the Northwest coast of Scotland, but that doesn't appear to be where the distillery is.  

Good luck with the Sir Edwards, but if you find you do not like it, do not let that be the end of your exploration.  

Ah...so you are drinking blended, not single malt, scotch.  Most folks in here are usually talking about single malts.  Yes, you can find some economical versions of blended.  I am not much of a fan of the blended varieties, but I guess I cut my teeth on Chivas when I first started to explore the world of Scotch.    I don't know anything about Sir Edwards, but at $13 a bottle, I personally wouldn't expect much from it, but again, I am admittedly biased.  

I had never heard of Shieldaig, so I Googled it real quick.  It appears to be a product of the Ian Macleod Distillery, which actually appears to be located in the Speyside region of Scotland.  They seem to have several varieties of "Shieldaig".  There are versions identified as Highland, Speyside, and Islay under that name, so I do not know what is going on there.  They also have blended versions under the name Shieldaig.   There is a city named Shieldaig located on Loch Shieldaig sort of on the Northwest coast of Scotland, but that doesn't appear to be where the distillery is.  

Good luck with the Sir Edwards, but if you find you do not like it, do not let that be the end of your exploration.  
My intention was to go with a single malt, but since I'm limiting myself right now price-wise, I wound up with this blended, as the single malt I wanted was out of stock at the store (the next affordable brand was ~$30, which in the big picture sounds reasonable but considering that I don't buy booze on any kind of regular basis, was a little out of my comfort zone). Didn't get into it last night but I know I will in the next couple of nights.  As for expectations, I'm only hoping it comes close to the lofty description I read, and that I don't taste the alcohol first, like I seem to have experienced with most liquor, which is why I've stuck with beer up until now.

The Sir Edward's is advertised as having an 'oakey' flavor, so it should be a good and fairly cheap lesson on what kind of scotch I'm going to pick moving forward; the difference between the Sir Edward's and what I remember from the Smokey Joe Islay should guide me in the right direction regarding my preference.   

Drunken Cowboy said:
I thought the same, but that isn't hard to find 
The price has been creeping up, and it does seem to be a little harder to find lately in my area (north Dallas suburbs).  Not impossible, but I noticed that a couple stores that were always a shoe-in to have it in stock have been out.

Charlie Steiner said:
The Sir Edward's is advertised as having an 'oakey' flavor, so it should be a good and fairly cheap lesson on what kind of scotch I'm going to pick moving forward; the difference between the Sir Edward's and what I remember from the Smokey Joe Islay should guide me in the right direction regarding my preference.   
Had about 3 fingers' worth each of the last two nights (spaced out over a couple of hours, so I did catch a buzz but nowhere near like I do when I drink beer), and while it was easy enough to drink, it wasn't the flavor I was looking for. In fact, with just a splash of water, it went down a little too easy  Even though it was a pleasant experience for a relatively low cost, it wasn't what I was looking for, so I guess I'll be moving on to a more costly brand next, though  I'll keep this one in mind as well. Apparently, the brand my father introduced me to several years ago, which started my interest in Scotch, was Laphroaig.  It was on my radar before, but now I have confirmation to put on my target list. 

Had about 3 fingers' worth each of the last two nights (spaced out over a couple of hours, so I did catch a buzz but nowhere near like I do when I drink beer), and while it was easy enough to drink, it wasn't the flavor I was looking for. In fact, with just a splash of water, it went down a little too easy  Even though it was a pleasant experience for a relatively low cost, it wasn't what I was looking for, so I guess I'll be moving on to a more costly brand next, though  I'll keep this one in mind as well. Apparently, the brand my father introduced me to several years ago, which started my interest in Scotch, was Laphroaig.  It was on my radar before, but now I have confirmation to put on my target list. 
Laphroaig has a 10 year that is in the $40 ish price range. I’ve only had it once and that was years ago, but I remember it being a pretty peaty scotch so it may be what you’re looking for.

Laphroaig has a 10 year that is in the $40 ish price range. I’ve only had it once and that was years ago, but I remember it being a pretty peaty scotch so it may be what you’re looking for.
I was eying that one but working my way up the price ladder, so to speak.  The problem is that in my house, with our usual budget, any non-grocery purchase over ~$25 sets off alarms. Even though cost-wise it's cheaper alcohol per volume than beer and goes further, I haven't been much of a drinker since before I met my wife and any alcohol purchases on a semi-frequent basis will come with anxiety on both of our parts; there are several alcoholics in my family--including my older brother who ruined his marriage and then his body because of his drinking, and after the last 2 nights I can see it happening to me if I'm not careful.

What a crazy hobby. 

The price has been creeping up, and it does seem to be a little harder to find lately in my area (north Dallas suburbs).  Not impossible, but I noticed that a couple stores that were always a shoe-in to have it in stock have been out.
Oh it is now pretty expensive, but not hard to find. 

I was eying that one but working my way up the price ladder, so to speak.  The problem is that in my house, with our usual budget, any non-grocery purchase over ~$25 sets off alarms. Even though cost-wise it's cheaper alcohol per volume than beer and goes further, I haven't been much of a drinker since before I met my wife and any alcohol purchases on a semi-frequent basis will come with anxiety on both of our parts; there are several alcoholics in my family--including my older brother who ruined his marriage and then his body because of his drinking, and after the last 2 nights I can see it happening to me if I'm not careful.

What a crazy hobby. 
Understood. As @CletiusMaximus said above, the idea with drinking good scotch is to drink it slow and just enjoy it. I find myself drinking MUCH less when I have a really good scotch or bourbon neat, rather than a cheaper one on the rocks.

Update--More on the Sir Edwards: I've gotten through about 70% or so of it now, having a couple of shots with a small splash of water here and there, especially when I want help unwinding.  Anyway, I like how it blunts the alcohol, it has a smooth taste and a mild cinnamon aftertaste.  I have also followed the last sip with a couple ounces of water, which catches and enhances the aftertaste, which I actually have found pleasant.  I feel confident saying that I like this brand, especially for its price, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.  I'm sure to return to it and now have a specific brand I can suggest to my cheap family when we do our gift exchange at Christmas. 

Next up: Johnny Walker Black, if I can find the smaller size (200ML) in stock, as I'm still in the stage where price is the #1 factor.  Wish me luck.

Just poured a little more than I meant to.  First sip had the smokey/peaty taste that the Sir Edwards was missing.  Put a splash of water in it and settling in to watch another episode of Mad Men.  Seems fitting.

***I had to delete the original post here because I meant to put that in the Mad Men thread and wasn't paying attention.  Maybe it's the Johnny Walker talking...

Anyway, first impressions of Johnny Walker Black is that it's definitely closer to the taste I'm looking for, but I think the Smokey Joe's I had a while back is still the benchmark.  The first impression seemed to be a bit of a harsher opening scent than I was expecting, but I like that the Black also blunts the initial bite of the alcohol, and the smoky, peaty taste is definitely what I'm looking for, but this isn't quite it.  More than the Sir Edwards, but not quite there yet.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'm going to like finishing this little bottle eventually, but I'm definitely going to keep looking for that right blend, and I feel that the Smokey Joe's will be an acceptable fallback spot if nothing else.

I'm partial to the Islay expressions...but...when the mood strikes for something non-peated...this...is what I reach for.  Rillyrilly great...un-chill-filtered/no-color-added dram.  I made a point to tour their distillery in Doune, Scotland last Summer.  Picked up a bottle of their Marsala-finish 15yr expression (distillery exclusive).  I've yet to twist/pull the cork on it...as I'm saving it for one of life's big 'larva-related moments'.  Their 18yr is superb...though a wee bit too pricey for a daily/routine dram.

Side note: Deanston's 'converted woolen mill' distillery is quite unique.  The water source used for their whisky...also powers the distillery (they have their own hydroelectric plant that utilizes the River Teith...which is right across the street).  The smell of the barley grist in the mash tun room was incredible due to the use of a massive open-top mash tun...and the smell of the wort in the washbacks was...cahrazy.  Deanston double-ferments (for lack of a better way to describe it) the wort for 96 hours (typical fermentation times run around 50-60hrs)...which results in more pronounced 'fruit' flavors in their expressions.  The smell of ripe bananas...pears...and honey...punched me on the nose in their washback room.  Their dunnage is in a converted weaving shed (they house barrels of their expressions as well as some from their 'sister distilleries' Ledaig, Bunnahabhain, Tobermory).  Such an interesting place...that produces some 'Nectar of The Gods'-like spirits.

Side side note: Laphroaig 10...is my daily.  Though...the Laphroaig 10yr Cask-Strength is my favorite dram of any whisk(e)y.  I manned a valinch...and got to sample some straight from a barrel (housed in their famed dunnage #1) when I toured their distillery.  Sampled and bottled a Manzanilla Sherry-finish 8yr...and...Fino Sherry-finish 8yr, as part of the tour, too.  Picked up a bottle of their 15yr Cairdeas (distillery exclusive).  Found my wee plot of Scotland in the fields across the narrow road from Laphroaig, as well.  The Bride and I walked the 'Three Distillery Trail'...to Laphroaig/Lagavulin/Ardbeg...from our room in Port Ellen, Islay.  In addition to the full Laphroaig tour...we visited Lagavulin (no tour) and had a tasting 'tour' with lunch at Ardbeg (Old Kiln Cafe).  Had five 'wee drams' (10yr, An Oa, Uigeadail, Corryvreckan, 2015 Feis Ile Perpetuum)...as the 'tasting tour guide' at Ardbeg referred to them. I put my liver through its paces...as well as my feet (roughly 11 miles of walking along a paved trail that connects all three distilleries to Port Ellen and runs along the southeastern shore of the island)...in one, glorious 12-hour stretch of my existence. Truly unforgettable.  Islay is my 'Happy Place'...and we'll be returning (tour the remaining Islay distilleries)...when this infernal/insidious virus is finally/firmly in our collective rear-view mirror.

Reviving this one.  (also FWIW, search function worked perfectly this time. Good.)

Can you folks help me with an affordable Scotch for a novice?

I see a lot in the 13 pages but wanted to ask and anyone's come to any new conclusions. 

I am a total novice with Scotch. 

I tried a Balvenie Doublewood 12 on the rocks and thought it was excellent. It was $75 for the 750ml at my local place today which is a little more than I normally go for. 

Is there a great value in Scotch you'd recommend more in the $40 for 750ml range?

Any thoughts on accessibility for a novice in finding something I like (I know that's impossibly personal but I was not expecting to like the Balvenie as much as I did.)

Thanks. 

I'm still a novice as well, so hopefully my little wisdom helps.

When it comes to scotch, I've learned that all that matters is figuring out what you like and how you like to drink it.  All I know about Balvenie is that it's a speyside, so you can search for other speyside brands. I think Macallan and Glenfiddich are the most prominent of those brands, but they won't start for less then $40 for 750ml.

Here is wiki's page listing speyside brands and distilleries. This should be a good starting list. I can't recommend any of them as I've never tried any on that list.

Reviving this one.  (also FWIW, search function worked perfectly this time. Good.)

I see a lot in the 13 pages but wanted to ask and anyone's come to any new conclusions. 

I tried a Balvenie Doublewood 12 on the rocks and thought it was excellent. It was $75 for the 750ml at my local place today which is a little more than I normally go for. 

Is there a great value in Scotch you'd recommend more in the $40 for 750ml range?

Any thoughts on accessibility for a novice in finding something I like (I know that's impossibly personal but I was not expecting to like the Balvenie as much as I did.)

Thanks. 
There are going to be much more knowledgeable than I am in here, but my two cents is to recommend one of the safe, classic single malt scotches like a Glenlivet 12 or Glenmorangie (10? I think?).  These should be available around $40 or maybe a little more. Costco is a great place to buy scotch in my experience.  Most will say its best to try sipping it neat, and maybe add some water or one or two rocks at most.  There's nothing wrong with pouring it over a glass of ice, but I think you will move away from doing that after you get into it a little bit because the melting ice really does have a negative impact on the experience.

A couple other minor suggestions.

Don't necessarily eschew blended scotch whiskies.  Most scotch aficionados will say you have to drink single malt and single malt only, but there are some really good blends out there that, for me, are every bit as good and usually cheaper.  I have a bottle of Dewar's 12 that I got a great deal on a while back ($20 and it came in a set with two nice glasses). I like to drink it on the rocks when I'm in a "Mad Men" mood - meaning I just want to knock back a glass of scotch and not sip it.

Also, pay attention to proof.  When I first started drinking scotch, I unknowingly bought a bottle of a cask whiskey that was over 100 proof and it was really hard to drink.  I still prefer scotches at 80 proof or so, have never really come to appreciate the strong whiskeys for whatever reason.

Finally, the Balenie doublewood you had is a great scotch and I doubt there will be any disagreement on that. I've gone through several bottles of that over the years and almost always try to have one on hand.  That said, I think $75 sounds a bit high for that bottle.  I think if you shop around about you can probably find it in the $50-$60 range.

Just went back and found my first post in this thread. A lot has happened in not quite the year since I first posted last July:

-Got through the JW Black and won't go back to it.

-More on Sheildaig: turns out it's a Total Wine brand so I felt a little hoodwinked, but such is the landscape of whisk(e)y.  I finally did get to try their 'Islay' blend and it was way off of what I was looking for, so I went back to Sir Edward's, which turns out is a French company. Go figure.

-Was able to justify buying a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for my birthday, and it was everything I had hoped. It was so different from what I was expecting but it was perfect nonetheless. This is when I realized I was an Islay guy. It's been tough stretching it out but I have just enough left that I plan on finishing it one night soon when the cicadas are out if full throat.

-I also got a bottle of JW Red for my birthday. Not a fan but I'll have a dram when the mood hits me.

-In my quest to educate myself, I stumbled upon The Whiskey Tribe, these two dudes in Austin who review different brands and seem to have a good time and don't take themselves too seriously. They've been informative, but they also had too much influence on me when I first started watching them, as their review of Dewar's Ilegal (regular Dewar's aged in mezcal barrells) motivated me to buying a bottle.  I liked it just fine, but I didn't like that I was so easily moved to action.

-I got a bottle of Smokehead as a Christmas present from my wife; guess my anxiety about how she would handle my new hobby was a little overblown.  Never heard of it before and while I didn't like it much at first, it grew on my by the end of the bottle.  Probably wouldn't buy it again as it's still out of my comfort price range, but I wouldn't pass on it if offered. Once I got used to it, it compared favorably to Lagavulin 16. I also got a bottle of Tullamore Dew from a relative, so my collection had grown quickly by the end of the year.

-Thanks to a very generous Christmas present from my parents, I was able to try a few other brands, keeping in the ~$20 range. I have also tried Lang's Full and Smoky (At $15, it scratches the itch for smoky/peaty scotch), Shieldaig Highland (one of the staff at Total Wine suggested it as approximating Islay more than their Islay model, and she was right. At ~$21 it's one of my go-to's), and another brand of questionable parentage, For Peat's Sake. It goes for ~$20 at my local Total Wine so it's another of my go-to's).

-My biggest misstep so far was a bargain-basement brand called Highland Bird. I was blinded by the low price--$17.99 for 1.5L and that it was supposed to have a toffee-like flavor profile.  If that was toffee, I guess I don't really like toffee.  I also tried Kavanagh's Bourbon Barrel Finished Irish Whisky and was disappointed in that as well.

At this point, I've accepted that I prefer Islay whiskys and for my budget, the Shieldaig Highland and For Peat's Sake are good enough for me to return to, and I'll try to pick up more Lagavulin when I get the chance, and hopefully Laphroiag as well. I think I enjoy smelling them as much as I do drinking them; I find myself sniffing the glass long after I've emptied it. Also, since my father's side of the family supposedly came from the Isle of Skye, so if we ever get together with his side of the family again, I'm going to bring a bottle of Talisker.

Charlie Steiner said:
Was able to justify buying a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for my birthday, and it was everything I had hoped. It was so different from what I was expecting but it was perfect nonetheless. This is when I realized I was an Islay guy. It's been tough stretching it out but I have just enough left that I plan on finishing it one night soon when the cicadas are out if full throat.
This is the nectar of the gods for me - fantastic stuff.

CletiusMaximus said:
There are going to be much more knowledgeable than I am in here, but my two cents is to recommend one of the safe, classic single malt scotches like a Glenlivet 12 or Glenmorangie (10? I think?).  These should be available around $40 or maybe a little more. Costco is a great place to buy scotch in my experience.  Most will say its best to try sipping it neat, and maybe add some water or one or two rocks at most.  There's nothing wrong with pouring it over a glass of ice, but I think you will move away from doing that after you get into it a little bit because the melting ice really does have a negative impact on the experience.

Don't necessarily eschew blended scotch whiskies.  Most scotch aficionados will say you have to drink single malt and single malt only, but there are some really good blends out there that, for me, are every bit as good and usually cheaper.  I have a bottle of Dewar's 12 that I got a great deal on a while back ($20 and it came in a set with two nice glasses). I like to drink it on the rocks when I'm in a "Mad Men" mood - meaning I just want to knock back a glass of scotch and not sip it.

Also, pay attention to proof.  When I first started drinking scotch, I unknowingly bought a bottle of a cask whiskey that was over 100 proof and it was really hard to drink.  I still prefer scotches at 80 proof or so, have never really come to appreciate the strong whiskeys for whatever reason.

Finally, the Balenie doublewood you had is a great scotch and I doubt there will be any disagreement on that. I've gone through several bottles of that over the years and almost always try to have one on hand.  That said, I think $75 sounds a bit high for that bottle.  I think if you shop around about you can probably find it in the $50-$60 range.
Awesome. Thanks a ton. 

Charlie Steiner said:
Just went back and found my first post in this thread. A lot has happened in not quite the year since I first posted last July:

-More on Sheildaig: turns out it's a Total Wine brand so I felt a little hoodwinked, but such is the landscape of whisk(e)y.  I finally did get to try their 'Islay' blend and it was way off of what I was looking for, so I went back to Sir Edward's, which turns out is a French company. Go figure.

-Was able to justify buying a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for my birthday, and it was everything I had hoped. It was so different from what I was expecting but it was perfect nonetheless. This is when I realized I was an Islay guy. It's been tough stretching it out but I have just enough left that I plan on finishing it one night soon when the cicadas are out if full throat.

-I also got a bottle of JW Red for my birthday. Not a fan but I'll have a dram when the mood hits me.

-In my quest to educate myself, I stumbled upon The Whiskey Tribe, these two dudes in Austin who review different brands and seem to have a good time and don't take themselves too seriously. They've been informative, but they also had too much influence on me when I first started watching them, as their review of Dewar's Ilegal (regular Dewar's aged in mezcal barrells) motivated me to buying a bottle.  I liked it just fine, but I didn't like that I was so easily moved to action.

-I got a bottle of Smokehead as a Christmas present from my wife; guess my anxiety about how she would handle my new hobby was a little overblown.  Never heard of it before and while I didn't like it much at first, it grew on my by the end of the bottle.  Probably wouldn't buy it again as it's still out of my comfort price range, but I wouldn't pass on it if offered. Once I got used to it, it compared favorably to Lagavulin 16. I also got a bottle of Tullamore Dew from a relative, so my collection had grown quickly by the end of the year.

-Thanks to a very generous Christmas present from my parents, I was able to try a few other brands, keeping in the ~$20 range. I have also tried Lang's Full and Smoky (At $15, it scratches the itch for smoky/peaty scotch), Shieldaig Highland (one of the staff at Total Wine suggested it as approximating Islay more than their Islay model, and she was right. At ~$21 it's one of my go-to's), and another brand of questionable parentage, For Peat's Sake. It goes for ~$20 at my local Total Wine so it's another of my go-to's).

-My biggest misstep so far was a bargain-basement brand called Highland Bird. I was blinded by the low price--$17.99 for 1.5L and that it was supposed to have a toffee-like flavor profile.  If that was toffee, I guess I don't really like toffee.  I also tried Kavanagh's Bourbon Barrel Finished Irish Whisky and was disappointed in that as well.

At this point, I've accepted that I prefer Islay whiskys and for my budget, the Shieldaig Highland and For Peat's Sake are good enough for me to return to, and I'll try to pick up more Lagavulin when I get the chance, and hopefully Laphroiag as well. I think I enjoy smelling them as much as I do drinking them; I find myself sniffing the glass long after I've emptied it. Also, since my father's side of the family supposedly came from the Isle of Skye, so if we ever get together with his side of the family again, I'm going to bring a bottle of Talisker.
Awesome. Thank you!

Joe Bryant said:

Thanks. 
That was the first Scotch I really loved. We are looking at getting married somewhere in the area.

You may want to start with one of the flavor maps. They are a bit simplistic, but not a bad starting point. I googled this one:

https://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/whiskyflavourmap.htm

I think that is about how I would describe Balvenie. If you liked Balvenie, I would probably try to find something in a similar place on one of these maps. Singleton, might be an option.

Prices for single malts have gone up a lot in recent years. I don't think there is much you can buy for $40, but you can still find some good bottles in the 50-60 range.

Another approach to find out what you like  is to try extremes. An Ardbeg 10 is a super smokey malt for 50ish.

Charlie Steiner said:

If you like Lagavulin you should enjoy Talisker.

CletiusMaximus said:

If you get something higher proof, taste it with some water. 

I like the Glenmorangie varietals on the cheaper side. Not sure I'd do anything cheaper on a bottle for home. At least in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread