What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best WR (to enter the NFL) in the last 10 years (1 Viewer)

noneother

Footballguy
there is a dialog going on about the best WR to come out in the last decade.

Limiting your ranking to 5 WRs, what would your ranking be?

mine

1 -Fitz

2 - Calvin

3 - AJ

4 - Wayne

5 - Boldin

I think they can shift around.. and 5 is completely based on bias...

what say U? - pun intended

edit removed moss, and clarified to enter the NFL in last 10 years, since I am stupid

Last edited by a moderator:
Moss came out in 1998 so he's out of the 10 year window. :popcorn:

Four guys stick out to me. Depends on the criteria. Holt is clearly #1 based on what he has actually accomplished. Calvin is #1 in terms of pure talent and potential. I wouldn't argue a case for AJ or LF either.

Calvin Johnson

Andre Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Torry Holt

Other names to consider after this are A. Boldin, S. Smith, and P. Burress off the top of my head.

I view R Wayne more of a product of playing with Manning than I do a great WR. That may not be fair though.

there is a dialog going on about the best WR to come out in the last decade.Limiting your ranking to 5 WRs, what would your ranking be?mine1- Moss - Given as one.. can't see any other choice2 -Fitz3 - Calvin4 - AJ5 - WayneI think 2,3, and 4 shift around.. and 5 is completely based on bias... what say U? - pun intended
Calvin?????????? You're joking right? He's played like what 20 games over someone like Harrison who had a ton of records and is very highly ranked in many WR'ing categories.Calvin might be one of the best 5 WR's over THE NEXT 10 yrs but not in the LAST 10 yrs.

TO isn't in the conversation? For me, I think he'd challenge for the top spot. Locker room cancer part not taken into account.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you meant over the last 10 years. Not to come out in the last 10.

Some of you really need to read the first post. He didn't specify it well in the thread title, but he means BEST WR TO COME OUT IN THE LAST 10 YEARS. That leaves guys like Moss, Harrison and Owens out of the discussion.

Like I said in the other thread, I think Crabtree has as much potential, if not more, than Fitz and AJ, but not as much as Calvin Johnson. When I said, "perhaps he's the best WR in the last decade", that might have been a little strong, but I do think he will rank right up there with some of these WRs that a lot of you think walk on water :excited:

I'm sure this thread was intended to be a slam, but there are a lot of folks who do think the way I do about Crabtree and believe he is as good as advertised. Sure he will probably struggle some at first, but the cream will rise to the top like it usually does.

Like I said in the other thread, I think he has as much potential, if not more, than Fitz and AJ, but not as much as Calvin Johnson. When I said, "perhaps he's the best WR in the last decade", that might have been a little strong, but I do think he will rank right up there with some of these WRs that a lot of you think walk on water :excited:
I think Fitzgerald is an excellent comparison for Crabtree.

Are we talking best as a measure of performance or best as far as hyped/thought of as a prospect when they were coming out of college? If we are talking about what they were perceived as coming out of college then I think the top 3 are Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald and then maybe Crabtree. After that you might actually have a guy like Charles Rogers.

Are we talking best as a measure of performance or best as far as hyped/thought of as a prospect when they were coming out of college? If we are talking about what they were perceived as coming out of college then I think the top 3 are Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald and then maybe Crabtree. After that you might actually have a guy like Charles Rogers.
valid issue, I was inclined more to who lived upto or surpassed the billing... personally, and eventho a spartan, I never thought Rogers was going to excel, as other Spartan WRs had... and based on that, i didn't consider Crabtree in the possible pool..hype.. then BMW, the year before he entered may be on the list... or Ginn even.....

Going with a mix of production and talent. Calvin rockets up this list should he continue to produce.

1) Holt - Bad ### for a **long** time.

2) Fitz - Bad ### for what will be a **long** time.

3) Steve Smith - About to get hated.

4) Calvin - Unreal, but not in my top 3 yet.

5) Reggie Wayne - How much is Peyton? Does it matter?

Ocho made a run, but fell a little short.

OK, I'm confused. Are we discussing the best WRs "UPON EXITING COLLEGE" in the past 10 years --or-- the best 10 WRs in the NFL "that started their careers in the past 10 years?" Those two are different.

Here were the Top 5 WRs that were drafted each year in the past 10 drafts:

2-2 Donnie Avery Rams Houston

2-3 Devin Thomas Redskins Michigan State

2-5 Jordy Nelson Packers Kansas State

2-10 James Hardy Bills Indiana

2-11 Eddie Royal Broncos Virginia Tech

1-2 Calvin Johnson Lions Georgia Tech

1-9 Ted Ginn Jr. Dolphins Ohio State

1-23 Dwayne Bowe Chiefs Louisiana State

1-27 Robert Meachem Saints Tennessee

1-30 Craig Davis Chargers Louisiana State

1-25 Santonio Holmes Steelers Ohio State

2-4 Chad Jackson Patriots Florida

2-12 Sinorice Moss Giants Miami (FL)

2-20 Greg Jennings Packers Western Michigan

2-25 Devin Hester Bears Miami (FL)

1-3 Braylon Edwards Browns Michigan

1-7 Troy Williamson Vikings South Carolina

1-10 Mike Williams Lions USC

1-21 Matt Jones Jaguars Arkansas

1-22 Mark Clayton Ravens Oklahoma

1-3 Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals Pittsburgh

1-7 Roy Williams Lions Texas

1-9 Reggie Williams Jaguars Washington

1-13 Lee Evans Bills Wisconsin

1-15 Michael Clayton Buccaneers Louisiana State

1-2 Charles Rogers Lions Michigan State

1-3 Andre Johnson Texans Miami (FL)

1-17 Bryant Johnson Cardinals Penn State

2-12 Taylor Jacobs Redskins Florida

2-13 Bethel Johnson Patriots Texas A&M

1-13 Donte Stallworth Saints Tennessee

1-19 Ashley Lelie Broncos Hawaii

1-20 Javon Walker Packers Florida State

2-1 Jabar Gaffney Texans Florida

2-4 Josh Reed Bills Louisiana State

1-8 David Terrell Bears Michigan

1-9 Koren Robinson Seahawks North Carolina State

1-15 Rod Gardner Redskins Clemson

1-16 Santana Moss Jets Miami (FL)

1-25 Freddie Mitchell Eagles UCLA

1-4 Peter Warrick Bengals Florida State

1-8 Plaxico Burress Steelers Michigan State

1-10 Travis Taylor Ravens Florida

1-21 Sylvester Morris Chiefs Jackson State

1-29 R. Jay Soward Jaguars USC

1-6 Torry Holt Rams North Carolina State

1-8 David Boston Cardinals Ohio State

1-13 Troy Edwards Steelers Louisiana Tech

1-32 Kevin Johnson Browns Syracuse

2-22 Peerless Price Bills Tennessee

Without putting a boatload of thought into this:

1. Torry Holt

2. Chad Johnson

3. Hines Ward

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Steve Smith

I created my top 10 on the guys I thought were going to be great when they were coming out of college. I had to try to remember my thoughts on some of these guys that were a few years back.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Charles Rogers

4. Braylon Edwards

5. Peter Warrick

6. Roy Williams

7. Torry Holt

8. Andre Johnson

9. David Boston

10. Plaxico Burress

This was my ranking of whom I thought were the most talented when they were coming out of college and is not based on how their careers turned out. To me, Crabtree would probably fit in at #5 on this list presently.

I created my top 10 on the guys I thought were going to be great when they were coming out of college. I had to try to remember my thoughts on some of these guys that were a few years back.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Charles Rogers

4. Braylon Edwards

5. Peter Warrick

6. Roy Williams

7. Torry Holt

8. Andre Johnson

9. David Boston

10. Plaxico Burress

This was my ranking of whom I thought were the most talented when they were coming out of college and is not based on how their careers turned out. To me, Crabtree would probably fit in at #5 on this list presently.
Really? I seem to recall a hell of a lot of people marking him for Desmond Howard II.

Without putting a boatload of thought into this:1. Torry Holt2. Chad Johnson3. Hines Ward4. Reggie Wayne 5. Steve Smith
I'd put Fitz in over Ocho, but otherwise I like this list. Five years from now Calvin Johnson will probably make a list like this, but not yet. Also, I think Ward is outside the 10 year window. Throw in Andre Johnson for him.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Charles Rogers

4. Braylon Edwards

5. Peter Warrick

6. Roy Williams

7. Torry Holt

8. Andre Johnson

9. David Boston

10. Plaxico Burress

Really? I seem to recall a hell of a lot of people marking him for Desmond Howard II.
I was one who thought he was going to be a stud. Again, this was my feeling of these guys when they were coming out. After thinking about it Santana Moss should have snuck in at about #9 or #10 as well.

Still need to define the list. If it's best WR to come out, then you should be judged on your talents, abilities, and potential as of draft day. If it's the best WR throughout a career, then someone like Calvin Johnson (or Greg Jennings, for example) cannot be considered yet because of their age and lack of experience.

1. Torry Holt

2. Chad Johnson

3. Hines Ward

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Steve Smith
Ward is outside of the 10 year windowChad Johnson? really?
You're right, Ward's older than I thought. I'd probably put Coles or Burress in that last spot, then.

One of the quick stats I like to use to measures WR dominance is receiving yards over 1,000 in a season. Johnson has 2,036 receiving yards over 1,000 in his career. Without checking, I'd imagine that puts him in the top two among receivers to enter the league in the last 10 years, and probably #2 behind Holt.

1. Torry Holt

2. Chad Johnson

3. Hines Ward

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Steve Smith
You're right, Ward's older than I thought. I'd probably put Coles or Burress in that last spot, then.

One of the quick stats I like to use to measures WR dominance is receiving yards over 1,000 in a season. Johnson has 2,036 receiving yards over 1,000 in his career. Without checking, I'd imagine that puts him in the top two among receivers to enter the league in the last 10 years, and probably #2 behind Holt.
My knock against 85 is way too many mediocre games combined with one or two dominant games each season making the final stats look better than they really were.In 07, he only went over 100 yards or scored in six of 16 games. Same for 06.

He's only scored in 11 of his last 45 games in the last three years. Futhermore, six of those 11 were multi-TD games.

1. Torry Holt

2. Chad Johnson

3. Hines Ward

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Steve Smith

My knock against 85 is way too many mediocre games combined with one or two dominant games each season making the final stats look better than they really were.In 07, he only went over 100 yards or scored in six of 16 games. Same for 06.

He's only scored in 11 of his last 45 games in the last three years. Futhermore, six of those 11 were multi-TD games.
Since I've completed the exercise before, go look up other top receivers and compare Ocho Cinco to them. From what I remember, Johnson was no better or worse than almost all the other top receivers.

1. Torry Holt

2. Chad Johnson

3. Hines Ward

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Steve Smith

Since I've completed the exercise before, go look up other top receivers and compare Ocho Cinco to them. From what I remember, Johnson was no better or worse than almost all the other top receivers.
I'll do a couple. Other than that, I don't care.Calvin Johnson - scored in 10 of 16 games this year alone. And 14 of 31 in his career.

Randy Moss - scored in 20 of his last 32 regular season games and 23 of his last 45 games.

Larry Fitzgerald - scored in 16 of his last 31 regular season games and 22 of last 44 games.

Steve Smith - scored in 17 of his last 43 games.

Reggie Wayne - scored in 22 of his last 48 games

Anyone else?

I'll do a couple. Other than that, I don't care.Calvin Johnson - scored in 10 of 16 games this year alone. And 14 of 31 in his career. Randy Moss - scored in 20 of his last 32 regular season games and 23 of his last 45 games.Larry Fitzgerald - scored in 16 of his last 31 regular season games and 22 of last 44 games.Steve Smith - scored in 17 of his last 43 games.Reggie Wayne - scored in 22 of his last 48 gamesAnyone else?
How about Boldin?....in games he actually played.....please don't include games he didn't even play in.

1. Torry Holt

2. Chad Johnson

3. Hines Ward

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Steve Smith

I'll do a couple. Other than that, I don't care.Calvin Johnson - scored in 10 of 16 games this year alone. And 14 of 31 in his career.

Randy Moss - scored in 20 of his last 32 regular season games and 23 of his last 45 games.

Larry Fitzgerald - scored in 16 of his last 31 regular season games and 22 of last 44 games.

Anyone else?
I'll give Chad a mulligan this year with no Palmer. But in his previous 6 seasons:26 games with 100+ yards, 35 games with a TD. Works out to 4.3 games with 100 yards and 5.8 games with a TD per season. I would guess that will be slightly behind a select few guys but still better than most of the other WRs.

No one will compare to Moss if you only count the past two years. After that, the top guys will be pretty similar.

This thread is confusing.

The OP didn't state it correctly, but believe what he's asking is who were the best WR's in the last 10 years in terms of their NFL potential coming out of college. Basically, if you lumped all of the WR's coming out of college from the last 10 years and put them into the same NFL draft how would the order shake out?

My opinion:

1) Calvin Johnson

2) Larry Fitzgerald

3) Michael Crabtree

4) Andre Johnson

5) Braylon Edwards

6) Charles Rogers

7) Torry Holt

8) Roy Williams

This thread is confiusing.The OP didn't state it correctly, but believe what he's asking is who were the best WR's in the last 10 years in terms of their NFL potential coming out of college. Basically, if you lumped all of the WR's coming out of college from the last 10 years and put them into the same NFL draft how would the order shake out?My opinion:1) Calvin Johnson2) Larry Fitzgerald3) Michael Crabtree4) Andre Johnson5) Braylon Edwards5) Charles Rogers
I believe that this was the intent . . which is why I listed off the top WRs drafted over the past 10 years.

1. Torry Holt

2. Chad Johnson

3. Hines Ward

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Steve Smith

Anyone else?
I'll give Chad a mulligan this year with no Palmer. But in his previous 6 seasons:26 games with 100+ yards, 35 games with a TD. Works out to 4.3 games with 100 yards and 5.8 games with a TD per season. I would guess that will be slightly behind a select few guys but still better than most of the other WRs.

No one will compare to Moss if you only count the past two years. After that, the top guys will be pretty similar.
I used three seasons of Moss. one of those was without his QB just as Chad Johnson was without this year. Another was in Oakland with a terrible team, passing game, and unmotivated player. I just looked at the last three years for all players involved regardless of situation.I think Chad Johnson is a very inconsistent producer and his final stats each year do not tell the full story of what kind of player he is.

My top 5

1. Torry Holt (Simply the only possible hall-of-famer of the group if he retired today)

2. Anquan Boldin (Always overlooked because of his high-profile team mate. Who cares if he wasn't as highly rated coming out of college, he's out-performed him!)

3. Larry Fitz (Lived up to the hype, but 1A behind Boldin)

4. Steve Smith (Probably the most talented 5'9 man on the planet)

5. Reggie Wayne (How much is Peyton? Doesn't matter this guy is great)

Calvin doesn't qualify with 1 good season, you CANNOT say with certainty he's better than any of these guys... yet.

However, this question reeks of "Who is the best WR besides Randy Moss?" with this 10 year rule thing.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. Torry Holt

5. Steve Smith
I like this list with Ocho a close 6th. After another year or two Colston and Marshall may be considered.
And like Garts posted earlier, with a few more years Jennings would have to be considered as well.
I'd add that if were going to talk about Jennings, then Roddy White is just as worthy.

My list.. in order.

Andre Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Steve Smith

Calvin Johnson

Torry Holt

Steve Smith might be 2..or 1 if he had most consitent games throughut his seasons..

Users who are viewing this thread