What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Flacco, IND (5 Viewers)

Im unbiased in this one. The Ravens blew it, and Flacco was a big part of it. He played good mostly, but made some bad throws that cost his team the game.

Flacco should've channeled his inner Alex Smith in this one.......You cant turn the ball over against Brady

I'm always amused at blaming a 35-31 loss on the quarterback/offense. I think the defense, which blew two 14-pt leads, gets most of the blame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the defense gets a lot of the blame, but the interceptions were bad throws, and gave Brady and Co. the opportunity to steal this game. We all knew Brady was going to "will" his team into position to make this one close.

Flacco made some great plays in this game as well. The 4th down to Daniels on the last drive was sweet. But, the Ravens were moving the ball effectively against an outmatched NE defense.......Flacco went deep and made two bad throws......He shouldn't have made those throws. That's the difference in the game.

I'm always amused at blaming a 35-31 loss on the quarterback/offense. I think the defense, which blew two 14-pt leads, gets most of the blame.
That's absolutely true, but you can't really have it both ways. The most cited stat in this thread is Flacco's playoff road wins even though the defense has been a HUGE part of those. In 4 of those playoff road wins Flacco COMBINED for 506 yards and 3 TDs, yet all people in this thread care about is 4 wins they can cite for Flacco.

So if we're going to give him a "win" for going 4-10 for 34 yards with 0 TDs and an interception, then he should damn sure get credit for a "loss" in a game that ended on a Flacco interception even if he played really well for most of the game.

Flacco has stepped up his game in the playoffs, no doubt. And what has it earned them? Probably 2 extra wins over a median quarterback. Flacco is now 2-5 in the playoffs when the defense gives up 17+ points, which is a point total that most other QBs face in nearly every playoff game. Those two wins were important, because they got Baltimore a Super Bowl and they wouldn't trade that for anything. That also means that outside of the Super Bowl year he has never won a playoff game when the defense doesn't play great. So while you may complain about people blaming him for a loss for a late INT in a game that they were only in because of Flacco, at the same time he got all of the credit for "winning" in the playoffs even though he almost never wins in the playoffs without the defense playing not just good, but great.

That's absolutely true, but you can't really have it both ways. The most cited stat in this thread is Flacco's playoff road wins even though the defense has been a HUGE part of those. In 4 of those playoff road wins Flacco COMBINED for 506 yards and 3 TDs, yet all people in this thread care about is 4 wins they can cite for Flacco.

So if we're going to give him a "win" for going 4-10 for 34 yards with 0 TDs and an interception, then he should damn sure get credit for a "loss" in a game that ended on a Flacco interception even if he played really well for most of the game.

Flacco has stepped up his game in the playoffs, no doubt. And what has it earned them? Probably 2 extra wins over a median quarterback. Flacco is now 2-5 in the playoffs when the defense gives up 17+ points, which is a point total that most other QBs face in nearly every playoff game. Those two wins were important, because they got Baltimore a Super Bowl and they wouldn't trade that for anything. That also means that outside of the Super Bowl year he has never won a playoff game when the defense doesn't play great. So while you may complain about people blaming him for a loss for a late INT in a game that they were only in because of Flacco, at the same time he got all of the credit for "winning" in the playoffs even though he almost never wins in the playoffs without the defense playing not just good, but great.
nailed it again

That's absolutely true, but you can't really have it both ways.
Neither can you.
No doubt, and I absolutely wouldn't ever blame a QB that threw for 300 yards and 4 TDs for a loss because their defense gave up 35 points. I've been extremely consistent on this throughout my ~10 years here, and I absolutely don't blame Flacco for this loss. I have always thought that quarterbacks get too much credit/blame for wins/loss and defenses too little. Flacco played great, but the defense had no answer for Brady. The loss was on them.

However, there are plenty of people here that are absolutely FIXATED on win/loss, except when the guy they're arguing for gets the loss despite playing well. Then the tune changes. I have a problem with that. So if you're going to constantly cite Flacco's 9 playoff road wins on a team that probably would have won 7 of those games with Tim Tebow or Mark Sanchez as their quarterback, then you absolutely can't flip flop it and pretend like wins/losses should be on the back burner all of the sudden, especially when the game ended the way it did.

If someone is going to cite playoff wins/losses in such an absolute manner that they're not willing to acknowlege that almost half those wins came with Flacco doing absolutely nothing, then they don't get to turn around and suddenly pretend like there's much more to the game than wins/losses and all the sudden start trying to blame the same defense that they refused to credit before.

Flacco sucks :) He's certainly no playoff Brady..
#### DBC. Brady needed help from Edelman to win this game.
Flacco choked when it meant the most. That's the only thing that matters.
^^^ A known Pat homer and now apparently a troll. Disregard.
So now I'm a troll for telling it like it is? Lol. If Flacco doesn't throw those 2 picks, the Ravens most likely win. He choked when it meant the most.

no doubt picks can be game killers, but if flacco sucks there are a long list of teams in this league with a big problem at the position

That's absolutely true, but you can't really have it both ways.
Neither can you.
No doubt, and I absolutely wouldn't ever blame a QB that threw for 300 yards and 4 TDs for a loss because their defense gave up 35 points. I've been extremely consistent on this throughout my ~10 years here, and I absolutely don't blame Flacco for this loss. I have always thought that quarterbacks get too much credit/blame for wins/loss and defenses too little. Flacco played great, but the defense had no answer for Brady. The loss was on them.

However, there are plenty of people here that are absolutely FIXATED on win/loss, except when the guy they're arguing for gets the loss despite playing well. Then the tune changes. I have a problem with that. So if you're going to constantly cite Flacco's 9 playoff road wins on a team that probably would have won 7 of those games with Tim Tebow or Mark Sanchez as their quarterback, then you absolutely can't flip flop it and pretend like wins/losses should be on the back burner all of the sudden, especially when the game ended the way it did.

If someone is going to cite playoff wins/losses in such an absolute manner that they're not willing to acknowlege that almost half those wins came with Flacco doing absolutely nothing, then they don't get to turn around and suddenly pretend like there's much more to the game than wins/losses and all the sudden start trying to blame the same defense that they refused to credit before.
I have a problem with such a blanket statement that ANY QB could come into a playoff setting and manage wins if provided the defensive support. But if you really wanted to go that route (which obviously you do), perhaps actually go look at the game logs. I see 2 games in that span that FreeBaGel perhaps could have QB'ed --2008 13-10 win at Tenn -- still, no Int's and 161 yds and TD for Joe -- and the 2009 game at Pats where Ray Rice steamrolled Ravens 33-14 win --Joe didnt have to do much there --the rest of the games were 2TD pass or more

Flacco sucks :) He's certainly no playoff Brady..
#### DBC. Brady needed help from Edelman to win this game.
Flacco choked when it meant the most. That's the only thing that matters.
^^^ A known Pat homer and now apparently a troll. Disregard.
So now I'm a troll for telling it like it is? Lol. If Flacco doesn't throw those 2 picks, the Ravens most likely win. He choked when it meant the most.
Much as I hate to say it, that last pick was something we haven't seen out of Flacco in a while. Sure overall he had a great game, but he had the ball with the game on the line and threw the pick. That was something some of us here had been noting, that Flacco doesn't make the big mistake, instead he makes the big play when necessary.

Yesterday he made the big mistake.

It was only a matter of time before the deep ball PI draw didn't work out, just happened to be really poor times for the Ravens.

I have a problem with such a blanket statement that ANY QB could come into a playoff setting and manage wins if provided the defensive support.
We've pretty well covered this already. Quarterbacks not named Joe Flacco are 37-3 in the playoffs when the defense gives up 17 points or less, and 12-0 on the road since Flacco entered the league in 2008. So yes, I'm pretty confident that pretty much any QB could come in and manage at least 6 or 7 of those road wins where they had that defensive support.

Whether they could win the other 2 would be a toss-up and likely depend on the QB, but many of the other QBs that have played multiple playoff games in that stretch are better than Flacco's 2-5 when the defense gives up 18+. Of course their records likely aren't very good when the D gives up 30+, which Baltimore has in several of those losses.

I have a problem with such a blanket statement that ANY QB could come into a playoff setting and manage wins if provided the defensive support.
We've pretty well covered this already. Quarterbacks not named Joe Flacco are 37-3 in the playoffs when the defense gives up 17 points or less, and 12-0 on the road since Flacco entered the league in 2008. So yes, I'm pretty confident that pretty much any QB could come in and manage at least 6 or 7 of those road wins where they had that defensive support.

Whether they could win the other 2 would be a toss-up and likely depend on the QB, but many of the other QBs that have played multiple playoff games in that stretch are better than Flacco's 2-5 when the defense gives up 18+. Of course their records likely aren't very good when the D gives up 30+, which Baltimore has in several of those losses.
Funny thing is even if Torrey Smith actually tries and makes a play on that last pass by Joe and Ravens win, your numbers will still show Joe's just really average. So, its become moot to continue the argument.

I think Flacco is good but just not Elite/Best of All Time.

"I really enjoyed working with him," Kubiak said of Flacco on Wednesday. "As talented a young man as I've ever coached and as good a person as I've ever coached."

When looking back Kubiak coached both Steve Young and John Elway to Super Bowls, so I think this is nothing more than giving a pat on the back to the team/player who just got you a nice new HC gig.

With trestman as oc ravens might become a pass first team. Playing the nfc west this year, it might be your best option. I really like flacco, trestman combo this year

Rotoworld:

Ravens reporter John Eisenberg called this season "a mini contract year" for Joe Flacco.

Flacco's salary jumps from $4 million to $18 million in 2016. Baltimore would be wise to lower Flacco's cap number by re-working his contract next offseason. The Ravens inked Flacco to a six-year, $120.6 million deal after leading them to the Super Bowl in 2012.

Source: baltimoreravens.com
Jun 7 - 10:17 AM

I hate the title of this thread but this is pretty much the Flacco thread.

Anyone see Flacco having sleeper potential; under Trestman this year?

I hate the title of this thread but this is pretty much the Flacco thread.

Anyone see Flacco having sleeper potential; under Trestman this year?
I think his best years are still ahead of him. That's mostly because I think the weapons around him have been mediocre but are improving. I'm not sure that trestman will run a very different scheme though from what I understand.

Have him backing up Tannehill in redraft but will cut him if Bortles (on WW) shows any signs of improvement.

Just seems like one of those guys who is better IRL than FF. Sort of like Brady in the pre-Moss/pre-Welker days. Perriman is intriguing and I expect Forsett to have another good year, but Maxx Williams is a year away. I just don't see upside here. Not a terrible QB by any means, but from a fantasy perspective not much has changed: high end QB2 who won't hurt you if you utilize him judiciously, but unlikely to ever morph into a solid QB1 option.

Users who are viewing this thread