What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Flacco, IND (1 Viewer)

Flacco is a better QB than Sanchez. He's not as good as Brady.

Wins in the playoffs are more of a function of the team and strategy and coaching than the QB. He has to manage and lead that team and strategy on offense.

The point people are making regarding Flacco's production in the playoffs (20 TD 2 INT) is even his individual production is to a degree a function of the team, including the defense. If a QB isn't trying the fling it around the field down 10+ the whole game he will have less chance for throwing bad INTs. Look at Flacco's career TD and INT %. Both a lower than several of the top players across the same time frame. So he throws less TDs and picks. Why? He's not asked to win many games by going 300 yds every game. Why? Because his defense is good enough to not need that.

Flacco is an above average QB who plays at a near-elite level in the playoffs. He has had an above average team, coaching staff and defense most of his career.

Flacco is a better QB than Sanchez. He's not as good as Brady.

Wins in the playoffs are more of a function of the team and strategy and coaching than the QB. He has to manage and lead that team and strategy on offense.

The point people are making regarding Flacco's production in the playoffs (20 TD 2 INT) is even his individual production is to a degree a function of the team, including the defense. If a QB isn't trying the fling it around the field down 10+ the whole game he will have less chance for throwing bad INTs. Look at Flacco's career TD and INT %. Both a lower than several of the top players across the same time frame. So he throws less TDs and picks. Why? He's not asked to win many games by going 300 yds every game. Why? Because his defense is good enough to not need that.

Flacco is an above average QB who plays at a near-elite level in the playoffs. He has had an above average team, coaching staff and defense most of his career.
He's obviously throwing it enough to have 20 TDs so I don't think we should minimize how well he's taken care of the ball (which obviously contributes immensely to the team's success). I agree completely with the rest of the post. Above average regular season qb who performs very well in the clutch and in the postseason.

Now that that's all that's been said, watch him ring up a 1TD/4 Int game on Saturday. I've seen a few of those, that's for sure.

If anyone has watched football for the last five years you'd think they would gameplan for the playaction bomb that they pull literally every game multiple times.

I'm not a defensive coordinator but holy #### I can see it coming immediately just as an observer.

Has it been mentioned yet that in his last 9 playoff games (going back to 2010), Flacco has 20 TDs to 2 Ints. Only 4 of these games can in the magical 2012 playoffs and most have come on the road.

Of course, he's just slightly above average and it's all the defense.
Peton Manning's last 9 playoff games - 16 TDs, 7 Ints 1 away game, 2 neutral fields, the rest home

Tom Brady's last 9 playoff games - 17 TDs, 10 Ints 1 awaygame, 1 neutral field, the rest home

Flacco - 2 at home, 1 neutral field, the rest away

So other than his first 2 years in the league, Flacco has been awesome in the playoffs, almost exclusively on the road. Two of the best QBs in history have been very average in the playoffs, mostly at home.

But it's all because of Baltimore's great D.
Mark Sanchez's stats and win/loss record are better than Peyton/Brady's as well, even though ALL of Sanchez's games were on the road and he was a rookie for 3 of them. It's not hard to protect the football and win games when your opponents aren't scoring 17+ points as often as the Ravens/Jets opponents weren't.

So here's the question. Are you willing to apply your argument to players beyond Flacco and claim that Mark Sanchez is a great QB, or are you going to choose only to apply it when you're talking about the player you like?

You can't have it both ways. So pick one. Either Mark Sanchez is an elite quarterback or performance in a small collection of playoff games behind a good defense is not a huge indication of how good a QB is.

W/L percentage in the playoffs

Flacco: 72%

Sanchez: 66%

QB Rating in the playoffs

Flacco: 88.2

Sanchez: 94.3

TD/INT ratio in the playoffs

Flacco: 2.625:1

Sanchez: 3:1

YPA in the playoffs

Flacco: 7.29

Sanchez: 7.36

By your own argument, Sanchez is an elite quarterback. So either your argument is flawed, or Sanchez is an elite QB. Which is it?
I specifically noted Flacco's last 9 games (acknowledging that in his first two seasons his numbers were really bad). Sanchez went 2 years, Flacco is on his 6th. Flacco's sample size is much larger, recent, and extended over multiple years. I held the same parameters for the two all time greats noted above.

Are you really arguing that since 2010 Flacco has been an elite playoff qb? 20TDs vs 2 Ints over 9 games is terrific, no matter how you want to spin it. The fact that Brady and Manning aren't close to those numbers should cement that for you.

Why are you trying to so hard minimize Flacco's impact on the games?
:goodposting:

Has it been mentioned yet that in his last 9 playoff games (going back to 2010), Flacco has 20 TDs to 2 Ints. Only 4 of these games can in the magical 2012 playoffs and most have come on the road.

Peton Manning's last 9 playoff games - 16 TDs, 7 Ints 1 away game, 2 neutral fields, the rest home

Tom Brady's last 9 playoff games - 17 TDs, 10 Ints 1 awaygame, 1 neutral field, the rest home

So other than his first 2 years in the league, Flacco has been awesome in the playoffs, almost exclusively on the road. Two of the best QBs in history have been very average in the playoffs, mostly at home.

Mark Sanchez's stats and win/loss record are better than Peyton/Brady's as well, even though ALL of Sanchez's games were on the road and he was a rookie for 3 of them. It's not hard to protect the football and win games when your opponents aren't scoring 17+ points as often as the Ravens/Jets opponents weren't.

So here's the question. Are you willing to apply your argument to players beyond Flacco and claim that Mark Sanchez is a great QB, or are you going to choose only to apply it when you're talking about the player you like?

You can't have it both ways. So pick one. Either Mark Sanchez is an elite quarterback or performance in a small collection of playoff games behind a good defense is not a huge indication of how good a QB is.

YPA in the playoffs

By your own argument, Sanchez is an elite quarterback. So either your argument is flawed, or Sanchez is an elite QB. Which is it?
I specifically noted Flacco's last 9 games (acknowledging that in his first two seasons his numbers were really bad). Sanchez went 2 years, Flacco is on his 6th. Flacco's sample size is much larger, recent, and extended over multiple years. I held the same parameters for the two all time greats noted above.

Are you really arguing that since 2010 Flacco has been an elite playoff qb? 20TDs vs 2 Ints over 9 games is terrific, no matter how you want to spin it. The fact that Brady and Manning aren't close to those numbers should cement that for you.

BAHAHAHA, seriously? HAHAHAHAHA

Cry because the poster talks about Sanchez in 6 games over 2 seasons then point to Flacco in 9 games going on 4 seasons (remember he was out of the playoffs last year) neither is a particular large sample size...

I am not saying Sanchez is elite and by the eye test Flacco does more in the playoff games to help his team win than Sanchez from my point of view. Flacco in my opinion is better than Sanchez in the playoffs but Sanchez of the playoffs is not the Sanchez we know these days.

Also I still don't understand why Ravens/Flacco fans feel hurt over having their defense called great/one of the best defenses year in and year out. Flacco is not relied on to win the games single handed but he is needed. I do think its 65% defense 35% offense (except Super Bowl run) with a pretty good portion of the offense being Flacco.

What if the Raven gave up the playoff average scores since 2008? (24PPG give up)

Extra Wins: @Pitt (2010 - tie w/ 24 points)

Extra Losses: @TEN (2008), HOU (2010), @IND (2012 - tie w/ 24 points)

*this doesn't also take into account things like better field position, scores, and turnovers created by the defense

So in the end again Flacco gets too much credit right now for the team success because prior to the Super Bowl run he was not the one leading the team. This postseason and next are the keys to bringing me over to the playoff Flacco that everyone seems to want to talk about.

YPA in the playoffs

Cry because the poster talks about Sanchez in 6 games over 2 seasons then point to Flacco in 9 games going on 4 seasons (remember he was out of the playoffs last year) neither is a particular large sample size...

I am not saying Sanchez is elite and by the eye test Flacco does more in the playoff games to help his team win than Sanchez from my point of view. Flacco in my opinion is better than Sanchez in the playoffs but Sanchez of the playoffs is not the Sanchez we know these days.

Also I still don't understand why Ravens/Flacco fans feel hurt over having their defense called great/one of the best defenses year in and year out. Flacco is not relied on to win the games single handed but he is needed. I do think its 65% defense 35% offense (except Super Bowl run) with a pretty good portion of the offense being Flacco.

What if the Raven gave up the playoff average scores since 2008? (24PPG give up)

*this doesn't also take into account things like better field position, scores, and turnovers created by the defense

So in the end again Flacco gets too much credit right now for the team success because prior to the Super Bowl run he was not the one leading the team. This postseason and next are the keys to bringing me over to the playoff Flacco that everyone seems to want to talk about.
Flacco's playoff sample is 9 games, I'd call that pretty significant. Sanchez was pretty elite during his run. Like Eli, just because he sucks now doesn't mean he wasn't great then.

And you keep bringing up what the D did and what the results would have been like the offense wouldn't possibly have performed differently if the team was losing.

Regardless of this, 20 - 2 over 9 consecutive playoff games (and basically all on the road which obviously has a significant impact on the O typically) and 4 seasons is excellent and the kind of performance any team would love to have from its qb.

I hope he continues his great run this weekend.

YPA in the playoffs

Flacco's playoff sample is 9 games, I'd call that pretty significant. Sanchez was pretty elite during his run. Like Eli, just because he sucks now doesn't mean he wasn't great then.

And you keep bringing up what the D did and what the results would have been like the offense wouldn't possibly have performed differently if the team was losing.

Regardless of this, 20 - 2 over 9 consecutive playoff games (and basically all on the road which obviously has a significant impact on the O typically) and 4 seasons is excellent and the kind of performance any team would love to have from its qb.

I hope he continues his great run this weekend.
Well, that explains everything going on here.

For the "Joes only good because defense let's him win crowd" 30.8 = avg. Ravens Score of last 5 playoff games.
I've given up. If 20 - 2 over 9 away games isn't enough to convince some people, nothing is.

I'm way more concerned that he keeps it up this weekend because the Ravens are going to need to score a lot to stay in the game methinks.

JIslander said:
For the "Joes only good because defense let's him win crowd" 30.8 = avg. Ravens Score of last 5 playoff games.
See you keep bringing this up, did you ever respond or read my response to "You changed your argument" that you threw out there.

Joe is good, Joe is good, Joe is good.... Did I get through? JOE IS NOT ELITE AND NOT THE BEST PLAYOFF QB OF ALL TIME, at least at this point.

This has always been at the heart of the argument. You point to the last 5 playoff games and its his Super Bowl run and 1 game, its not like he has been doing this for the past 4-5 years in this manner. His Super Bowl run put him on the map but nothing before that year showed he was somehow an amazing playoff QB who could carry his team. I want to see more and if we see more of the Super Bowl run QB from 2 years ago then he will keep getting close to being the best of all time in the playoffs.

James Daulton said:
JIslander said:
I've given up. If 20 - 2 over 9 away games isn't enough to convince some people, nothing is.

I'm way more concerned that he keeps it up this weekend because the Ravens are going to need to score a lot to stay in the game methinks.
9 Away games? 2 of those were home and 1 of those was at a neutral site. Just clarifying the facts for people at home. Also I dont think anyone is arguing Flacco was not great his Super Bowl run but the media wants to put the crown his head of best playoff QB of all time when he has had 2 bad ('08/'09), 2 good ('10/'11), 1 elite(12), 1('14) in progress playoffs.

He is trending the correct way but right now Flacco lovers seem to want to put the cart before the horse. Its the same thing with naming Aaron Rodgers a top 5 QB of all time, its WAY to early to say that because while they both have had success they have not done enough to be put there yet but could.

JIslander said:
See you keep bringing this up, did you ever respond or read my response to "You changed your argument" that you threw out there.

Joe is good, Joe is good, Joe is good.... Did I get through? JOE IS NOT ELITE AND NOT THE BEST PLAYOFF QB OF ALL TIME, at least at this point.

This has always been at the heart of the argument. You point to the last 5 playoff games and its his Super Bowl run and 1 game, its not like he has been doing this for the past 4-5 years in this manner. His Super Bowl run put him on the map but nothing before that year showed he was somehow an amazing playoff QB who could carry his team. I want to see more and if we see more of the Super Bowl run QB from 2 years ago then he will keep getting close to being the best of all time in the playoffs.
Dude -- you're not even a fan and are expending more energy on this than we are. NOBODY has been doing or did that for a 4-5 year period NOBODY. If that's what you want, I'd say you are asking a bit too much. This is a useless argument anyway, because folks like you and others would still find ways to discredit even if Joe were to pull off another win Saturday.

This week will be a great litmus test. Facing a really good Pats secondary, on the road, and playing behind a banged-up line. Plus his offensive weapons really don't strike fear in anyone.

Maybe he falls back to earth, maybe he continues to rise up. We'll soon see.

JIslander said:

Dude -- you're not even a fan and are expending more energy on this than we are. NOBODY has been doing or did that for a 4-5 year period NOBODY. If that's what you want, I'd say you are asking a bit too much. This is a useless argument anyway, because folks like you and others would still find ways to discredit even if Joe were to pull off another win Saturday.
Clearly. If the ravens win this weekend it will be due to their defense. Joe will just have gone along for the ride

JIslander said:

I have given Flacco the credit of being great during his last post-season run, he didnt even make the playoffs last year to grade him on, and now he has a good start to the playoffs this year. Will 1 more win mean he is all of a sudden elite? No because this is only the 2nd post-season in my mind where the Ravens have told Flacco to go and deliver the post-season wins instead of the defence leading the way.

Question: Do you think Flacco is the greatest post-season QB? Where do you rank him among the current NFL QBs?

Also I am a fan of the NFL and last time I checked the requirement is not to be a fan of a player to discuss them. Still boggles my mind that Ravens fans are so quick to dismiss how good their defence has been in the past, doesn't mean Flacco isn't good just means like Seattle right now historically prior to this last Super Bowl run they were defensive minded.

JIslander said:

I have given Flacco the credit of being great during his last post-season run, he didnt even make the playoffs last year to grade him on, and now he has a good start to the playoffs this year. Will 1 more win mean he is all of a sudden elite? No because this is only the 2nd post-season in my mind where the Ravens have told Flacco to go and deliver the post-season wins instead of the defence leading the way.

Question: Do you think Flacco is the greatest post-season QB? Where do you rank him among the current NFL QBs?

Also I am a fan of the NFL and last time I checked the requirement is not to be a fan of a player to discuss them. Still boggles my mind that Ravens fans are so quick to dismiss how good their defence has been in the past, doesn't mean Flacco isn't good just means like Seattle right now historically prior to this last Super Bowl run they were defensive minded.
a) Go back and find where any of us said "Joe Flacco is the greatest post-season QB of all time"

b) DO NOT dis-credit him throwing for 300 yds at Gillette in 2011 and throwing what should have been the winning TD pass for back-to-back SB appearances-- he took that team on his shoulders in that game and outplayed Brady

c) This Ravens defense and even the SB defense was good; but not 2000 good and IMO has not been good enough to win games without Joe playing well and making plays --

Ahaha love the fact that no one actually reads anything and looks at a 6-8 year old title on a thread.

PS - Hall of Fame - Best playoff QB of all time

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: at people thinking he sucks because he doesn't put up meaningless video game stats during the regular season.

Ahaha love the fact that no one actually reads anything and looks at a 6-8 year old title on a thread.

Nobody said that. We are just saying he's a pretty good QB. Not sure why that's so hard to realize. :shrug:

Nobody said that. We are just saying he's a pretty good QB. Not sure why that's so hard to realize. :shrug:
Well people seem to lash out a lot when you say Flacco is good but his defense is the biggest difference between him any pretty much any other good/great/elite QB.

Since Flacco must being do it by himself it seems he has to be the best ever right? Rodgers only won his championship because of the defense and this is coming from a Packers fan. While Rodgers is great and we need him to win without a defense the Packers have no hope of ever winning a championship again unless the defense can get hot like Indy when Petyon won his Super Bowl.

8 consecutive games with at least two TD passes, a new NFL record.
OK but how many points did his defense give up in those games????
Well how it works is this:

If the Patriots score 17 or more in this game, Flacco gets credit for the TDs he threw. Otherwise his numbers were 0-0-000-0 but any interceptions would count.

HTH

Well people seem to lash out a lot when you say Flacco is good but his defense is the biggest difference between him any pretty much any other good/great/elite QB.Since Flacco must being do it by himself it seems he has to be the best ever right? Rodgers only won his championship because of the defense and this is coming from a Packers fan. While Rodgers is great and we need him to win without a defense the Packers have no hope of ever winning a championship again unless the defense can get hot like Indy when Petyon won his Super Bowl.
Again, the only thing people are saying is that Flacco has played very good in the playoffs. Who cares how good his defenses have been. He's been very good. Nobody (other than you sarcastically) is anointing him into the HOF.

I guess he REALLY doesn't care about the regular season. Nothing like this has ever happened. Sample size is still rather small, but he's killing it today.

I guess he REALLY doesn't care about the regular season. Nothing like this has ever happened. Sample size is still rather small, but he's killing it today.
Your arguments get dumber and dumber with each subsequent post. That's a real talent, congrats. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread