What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Flacco, IND (4 Viewers)

Flacco Restructure:

The three-year agreement is worth $66.4 million and includes an NFL record $40 million signing bonus, a source told ESPN's Adam Caplan. This allows the Ravens to keep their franchise quarterback under contract through 2021 and alleviates some restless nights in the future for general manager Ozzie Newsome.

"I just spent about five days with GMs [at the NFL combine] that are looking for a Joe Flacco," Newsome said. "They're not sleeping at night. I can tell you that. Joe is our quarterback and I'm proud to say that."

Flacco's signing bonus is $3 million more than what any other NFL player had ever received. The deal also includes $44 million fully guaranteed ($40 million in a signing bonus and a $4 million base salary in Year 1), according to Caplan.

The Ravens lowered Flacco's $28.55 million cap number, which was the third highest in the NFL, and created $6 million in cap space just a week before free agency begins.  Flacco is now signed through 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Flacco's talent but how the heck does he keep getting to be the highest paid player in the league?

I like Flacco's talent but how the heck does he keep getting to be the highest paid player in the league?
It's all because of his last contract.  They pushed so much of the cap hit into the future, and now they had to extend it so they could spread it out.

Flacco's salary is right in range with other starting QB's in the league.  If you want to keep your good players you have to pay them market value.  The Washington team just franchise COusins to a deal worht about 20 million for one season.  By the time Flacco's new deal runs out in 2021 he likely wont be anywhere near the top tier.

Flacco's salary is right in range with other starting QB's in the league.  If you want to keep your good players you have to pay them market value.  The Washington team just franchise COusins to a deal worht about 20 million for one season.  By the time Flacco's new deal runs out in 2021 he likely wont be anywhere near the top tier.
"Right in range" meaning the highest paid in the NFL this season, and "other starting QBs" means the QBs that come in right behind him are Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Ben Roethlisberger, all of whom are far better.

Cousins is the 10th highest paid this year.

Tom Brady needs a raise, btw.  Dude is scheduled to make less than Nick Foles this year.

Do you expect a player to start with an already depressed salary at the start of a long term contract?  What would Flacco garner as an unrestricted free agent?  The Ravens are paying for a known commodity and a player that is capable of leading them to wins and championships.  How much should that be worth?  

What is the current trade value of Joe Flacco?

Do you feel its the best time to buy/overpay based on value?

I searched for Joe, and this post appeared..

How much do you value Joe?

What is the current trade value of Joe Flacco?

Do you feel its the best time to buy/overpay based on value?

I searched for Joe, and this post appeared..

How much do you value Joe?
In fantasy?  Virtually nothing unless you're in a start 2qb league where his only asset is that he is in fact a starting QB.

Picked him and Dixon off waiver to start over Winston and Gabriel, now with the wind reports I have Winston back in for him.

Kevin Roth ‏@KevinRothWx  2m2 minutes ago
Kevin Roth Retweeted Drew Perkins

I tend to think of wind (15-20mph) as having a minor impact on passing game.
Kevin Roth added,

Drew Perkins @lions556
@KevinRothWx Can u please update Baltimore Weather once more..How will the CURRENT conditions affect QB Passing? Minimal or Big time..thanks

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Speaking about Joe Flacco on Tuesday, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said "we need more out of Joe."
"I think Joe would agree with that," Bisciotti helpfully added. Coming back from a torn ACL, Flacco actually threw for a career-high 4,317 yards in 2016, but only because he was forced to dial up an absurd 672 attempts. That's not Ravens football. Flacco struggled mightily to make big plays, and averaged a woeful 6.42 yards per attempt. The first year back from a torn ACL can be tough for a quarterback — even Tom Brady wasn't quite himself in 2009 — but days shy of his 32nd birthday, Flacco will be on the spot to be better next season.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter 
Jan 10 - 1:48 PM

The Baltimore Sun reports the Ravens are only committing to "a week of rest" for the disk injury in Joe Flacco's back.

Beat writer Jeff Zrebiec reports Flacco has experienced back discomfort "for a little while," prompting doctors to "take a look" on Wednesday. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Flacco's back injury occurred while he was lifting. Either way, the Ravens are hoping a full week of rest will "calm the symptoms down." Zrebiec also called reports Flacco is bracing to miss 3-6 weeks "a longer absence than I've been told." This remains a huge concern for the Ravens.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Jul 26 - 9:15 PM

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Joe Flacco (back) has resumed throwing and is nearing a return to practice.

Harbaugh has promised hsi quarterback will be ready for Week 1, and he seems to be on that path. Flacco has still not be cleared to practice, but the Ravens expect that to happen soon. Considering how terrible Ryan Mallett has looked this preseason, the Ravens have to have Flacco under center when the season begins.

Source: Ravens on Twitter 

Aug 29 - 11:31 AM

It's crazy to me that the Raven's havent even attempted to find his successor. Flacco is 32 and at this point we know who he is. Alex Smith has had more recent success than Joe and KC still went out and got his replacement. The Pats took Brisset in the 3rd and Garoppolo in the 2nd even though they have Brady. The Raven's refusing to look past Flacco when planning their future is killing the teams upside. Imagine if the Cowboys strategy was "Build around Romo" instead of finding Dak

It's crazy to me that the Raven's havent even attempted to find his successor. Flacco is 32 and at this point we know who he is. Alex Smith has had more recent success than Joe and KC still went out and got his replacement. The Pats took Brisset in the 3rd and Garoppolo in the 2nd even though they have Brady. The Raven's refusing to look past Flacco when planning their future is killing the teams upside. Imagine if the Cowboys strategy was "Build around Romo" instead of finding Dak
Maybe they should try to trade for Tyrod Taylor.  

Joe Flacco was forced the Ravens' Week 8 game against the Dolphins with a concussion, and will not return.

Sliding at the end of a second quarter scramble, Flacco got destroyed on a vicious, illegal hit from Kiko Alonso. Flacco's helmet was knocked off, and the quarterback was visibly dazed. He was immediately placed in the concussion protocol, meaning Ryan Mallett will finish the game under center. Flacco was on the way to his best start of the season, completing 10-of-15 passes for 101 yards and a 34-yard dime of a touchdown to Jeremy Maclin. Flacco will have 10 days to get cleared for next week's game against the Raiders.

Source: Ravens on Twitter 

Oct 26 - 9:44 PM

Dak was a 4th round pick, taken more to be a backup to a guy who had missed 12 games the prior year and had a reputation for injuries. Joe had played in every game 8 of 9 years. 

Personally I think drafting Mahones was not the best move. He could do well and prove me wrong, but if they had stayed and drafted watt, peppers, or others, they'd be even better right now.

He looked ok before the injury

Mallet looked kind of bad...we'll see what .mallet can do with 10 days to prep 

He looked ok before the injury

Mallet looked kind of bad...we'll see what .mallet can do with 10 days to prep 
Hopefully Joe is back. I'm no Ravens fan , and my team would be in a better position against mallet next week,  but nobody wants to see injuries like that linger.

Hopefully Joe is back. I'm no Ravens fan , and my team would be in a better position against mallet next week,  but nobody wants to see injuries like that linger.
That was an extremely violent hit right on the head.   Hopefully he will be okay but they need to be very careful with him

Yeah, in combination with his early season back issues this one definitely has the potential to effect him on an ongoing basis.

Long rest week and a bye the following week is certainly a benefit.  If something like this has to happen, it's about as good a time from the teams perspective as it could be.

As bad as Flacco is, the difference between him and any other QB on the field last night was light years.

Joe Flacco said he wants the offense "to go after it" following the bye.

"We can't sit back and just expect us to not lose football games," Flacco said. "We got to go attack." Flacco is averaging just 5.3 yards per attempt, the lowest average among qualifying quarterbacks and a full yard lower than his previous career-low. The Ravens are also last in the league with 15 pass plays of 20 yards or more. With the receiving corps getting healthy and Danny Woodhead on the way back, perhaps the coaching staff loosens the reins following the bye week.
This dude is clueless... he's killing the offensive weapons around him. 

This dude is clueless... he's killing the offensive weapons around him. 
Ravens actually playing pretty well offensively since the bye. 4-1 (lost by 1 point at Pittsburgh), averaging 31 points per game, Flacco with 6 TDs and 2 INTs. Completion percentage of 64% and QB rating of 90, which - while pedestrian - are very much in line with his career averages. For Flacco, career average level is better than the last year and a half.

I think he is looking the best he's looked since before he tore the ACL halfway through 2015. He was very tentative all last year, and equally bad until the bye. I don't think he ever let on how much he was affected by his back earlier this year. He scrambled for 42 yards in the Houston game, and broke his knee brace while sliding - I think he's gone with a smaller brace since then, and he's been much more confident into stepping into throws. If Jimmy Smith were still playing, the Ravens D would be good enough to give them a chance to beat anyone. Without him, they're going to get outscored in the playoffs.

Here's something crazy - Flacco's win vs. Cleveland on Sunday was #101 of his career (regular season and playoffs combined). He's now in a 4-way tie on the all-time QB wins list with Dave Krieg, Drew Bledsoe, and Phil Simms. If the Ravens win this week, he'll move into a tie with Steve Young at #22. And if they win this week and next week (as they're favored to), he'll move into a tie at #19 on the all-time wins list with Ken Stabler and Bart Starr. 

At that point, every QB with more career NFL wins than Flacco is either still playing, or is in the Hall of Fame, with the exception of Donovan McNabb (107 wins) and Peyton Manning - who will obviously be elected on the first ballot.

He was my Wentz replacement in a 2-QB league and while I obviously hated losing Wentz I felt like Flacco had a shot and he was good again last week. If it wasn't for game flow he almost certainly tops 300 yards with another TD very possible but they didn't have to throw much in the second half so they pretty much shut him down. But that's three straight weeks of Top 15 production in many leagues and another insanely great matchup this week. And if you play in Week 17 the matchup at home vs. the Bengals looks pretty good right now too. Collins' emergence has really helped in my opinion. Defenses have to focus a lot on him and that's opening things up for Flacco. Wallace is also playing a lot better. The one thing that's really been missing is Woodhead in the passing game. If he gets going Flacco's numbers could go up even more. I wouldn't be surprised if Flacco put up Top 10 numbers this week. If the Colts show any fight at all I like those chances quite a bit. 

Per ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley, the "consensus" among players and coaches is that Joe Flacco is "more motivated" this offseason following Baltimore's first-round trade up for Lamar Jackson.

"Drafting Lamar and bringing [Robert] Griffin in, it’s lit a fire under him," S Eric Weddle said. "You can tell. It has shown." The common comparison is from Flacco to Alex Smith, who supposedly benefited from having a "fire lit" when the Chiefs traded up for Pat Mahomes. Flacco should know his job is on the line. The Ravens can cut him after this season and save $10.5 million in cap space.

Jun 13 - 1:14 PM

Joe Flacco got together with his receivers and tight ends for outside workouts this summer for the first time since 2011.

This falls in line with reports that Flacco is "more motivated" this year after the Ravens used a first-round pick on Lamar Jackson, Flacco's eventual successor. Flacco has been about as mediocre a quarterback in football since winning the Super Bowl in 2012 and then tearing his ACL in 2015. He needed a fire lit under him, and the Jackson selection may have provided just that. The Ravens have also done more to upgrade his receiving corps this offseason.

Jul 18 - 3:31 PM

I'm actually relatively high on Flacco this year, at least for 2 QB or Superflex. He's playing for a paycheck again, and John Brown could be a guy that flies underneath some missiles launched over some Rahim Moore-like heads.

Users who are viewing this thread