What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (4 Viewers)

I've been giving this some thought and there's no way Jesse drove straight to the Price is Right after leaving the Nazi compound. If you remember him in the car, he has a large beard but on the Price Is Right, he's more clean shaven. So I think there was a delay of at least a few weeks before he made the show.

Waiting until July for season 6 is going to suck.

:kicksrock:
I broke down and bought it on Amazon so I could watch it online - $15.

It was against my principles as I already pay for Netflix, but in retrospect it was money very well spent.

Watched the final 8 episodes in one marathon sitting.

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-reviewed.html

This is the original theory. Thought it was interesting but implausible.
This chick gets it...

But in what universe would Uncle Jack, heretofore so pragmatic and unflappable, get so incredibly offended at Walt calling Jesse his partner? In what world would he then pull Jesse out of his cage, so that Walt could see that he was suffering? In Walt’s dreams, that’s where. Or at least, that’s how it felt to me.
There were at least 2 incidences of Jack shaking hands on a deal, keeping his word was a big deal to him, so the accusation that Jesse was a partner was a definite affront that had to be settled and debunked before Walt was shot.

Friend of mine started watching on. Netflix. He knows im a big fan. He tells me "im two episodes in. Its ok but does it get better? Its kind of slow. It doesnt make me wanna watch the next episode right away like homeland or 24". I basically told him hes a moron and to watch a few more episodes and then get back to me.
I was hooked after the opening scene of the first episode. It's hard for me to imagine anyone not being so.

I didn't have any problem with Uncle Jack stopping. I think that being respected was important to him. Didn't he mething to Todd about it when they were watching the confession video?
After mocking Jesse, Uncle Jack died like a #####
I disagree, seriously wounded and facing death he still took time to take a drag on his cigarette, and then started negotiating for his life.

Friend of mine started watching on. Netflix. He knows im a big fan. He tells me "im two episodes in. Its ok but does it get better? Its kind of slow. It doesnt make me wanna watch the next episode right away like homeland or 24". I basically told him hes a moron and to watch a few more episodes and then get back to me.
I was hooked after the opening scene of the first episode. It's hard for me to imagine anyone not being so.
Tuco took the thing to another level and started a series of strong adversaries for Walt in the coming seasons. I also got hooked very quick but the show really hits its stride IMO when Tuco and Season 2 start rolling along.

Nobody ever figured out the significance of the picture Walt was fingering at the Schwartz'?!

Been bugging me for 10 days now

Jalapanose said:
Nobody ever figured out the significance of the picture Walt was fingering at the Schwartz'?!

Could you remind us what it was? It's been a little while since I watched the finale and I remember Walt messing with a bunch of stuff in their house, but I don't recall that particular picture.

Jalapanose said:

Could you remind us what it was? It's been a little while since I watched the finale and I remember Walt messing with a bunch of stuff in their house, but I don't recall that particular picture.
He picks up a picture and takes a long look at it before she turns and screams. I can't remember who he was looking at or if it really was significant.

There was some talk of the finale being a dream sequence, I admit I also felt the realism in the 1st several seasons was different than Season 5. But I have to say, the death of Gus and the way they had him adjust his tie with half his face blown off, we accepted that and for sure that went off the rails of believability.

But then you see what they did in the train scene, that scene where they steal the chemicals needed off the train, not 1 second of that felt pushed or a farce. That is what made Breaking Bad for me, the way they could spin a scene to make it look authentic and something you could believe.

Jalapanose said:

That's just the point you can't really tell what the picture is. Just that Walt seems particularly interested in it, carrying it over to the Elliott and Gretchen and even being sure that they realize he is holding it.

VG doesn't put anything in an episode just to be putting it there, it has to have some significance.

Jalapanose said:

That's just the point you can't really tell what the picture is. Just that Walt seems particularly interested in it, carrying it over to the Elliott and Gretchen and even being sure that they realize he is holding it.

VG doesn't put anything in an episode just to be putting it there, it has to have some significance.
I don't know if they ever showed what the picture was, but the point was that he was looking at their past. And he was holding it and reminiscing about it because it was also his past. It was an efficient way of reminding you - and Gretchen and Elliot - that even though they had long since moved on from him, he was there with them at the start. He was standing in the middle of their house, acting like he belonged there, which in his mind, he kind of did, because they had bought it with the money they'd made from his work.The tables had really turned from the last time he was at their house. He had been invited, but he was hiding who he was, and Elliott offered him a job - as a way to provide for his family - and he lied about where the money came from. This time, he had to sneak into their house, he made Elliott do a job for him - again to provide for his family - and while Heisenberg was out in the open, he was making Elliott and Gretchen lie about where the money came from. The picture was a keepsake from their past that he took from them, as opposed to the ramen noodles that Walt brought as a birthday present way back when. Like so many things in the final season, it's the mirror image of where they were when you first met them.

I thought it was a picture of Gretchen, aged appropriately to make Walt think of or remember the transition (and potential overlap?) between "Walt & Gretchen" and "Elliot & Gretchen" eras.

The tables had really turned from the last time he was at their house. He had been invited, but he was hiding who he was, and Elliott offered him a job - as a way to provide for his family - and he lied about where the money came from. This time, he had to sneak into their house, he made Elliott do a job for him - again to provide for his family - and while Heisenberg was out in the open, he was making Elliott and Gretchen lie about where the money came from. The picture was a keepsake from their past that he took from them, as opposed to the ramen noodles that Walt brought as a birthday present way back when. Like so many things in the final season, it's the mirror image of where they were when you first met them.
:goodposting:

The tables had really turned from the last time he was at their house. He had been invited, but he was hiding who he was, and Elliott offered him a job - as a way to provide for his family - and he lied about where the money came from. This time, he had to sneak into their house, he made Elliott do a job for him - again to provide for his family - and while Heisenberg was out in the open, he was making Elliott and Gretchen lie about where the money came from. The picture was a keepsake from their past that he took from them, as opposed to the ramen noodles that Walt brought as a birthday present way back when. Like so many things in the final season, it's the mirror image of where they were when you first met them.
Walt didn't take the picture out of the house, he puts it back down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with BF that he's figuratively claiming some sort of ownership over it.

hes now 4 episodes in. He said he just doesnt think the show is for him. I called him a

hes now 4 episodes in. He said he just doesnt think the show is for him. I called him a ######
I don't think he's gotten to Tuco yet. If he can watch that episode and not get immediately hooked, I think you need to find a new friend.

I agree with BF that he's figuratively claiming some sort of ownership over it.
I don't think Elliott actually cooked the ramen noodles he got for his birthday, either.

I don't know if they ever showed what the picture was, but the point was that he was looking at their past. And he was holding it and reminiscing about it because it was also his past. It was an efficient way of reminding you - and Gretchen and Elliot - that even though they had long since moved on from him, he was there with them at the start. He was standing in the middle of their house, acting like he belonged there, which in his mind, he kind of did, because they had bought it with the money they'd made from his work.The tables had really turned from the last time he was at their house. He had been invited, but he was hiding who he was, and Elliott offered him a job - as a way to provide for his family - and he lied about where the money came from. This time, he had to sneak into their house, he made Elliott do a job for him - again to provide for his family - and while Heisenberg was out in the open, he was making Elliott and Gretchen lie about where the money came from. The picture was a keepsake from their past that he took from them, as opposed to the ramen noodles that Walt brought as a birthday present way back when. Like so many things in the final season, it's the mirror image of where they were when you first met them.
Very nice points and analysis.

I think the picture of Elliot (assuming that's who is in the picture Walt is holding) causes Walt to wistfully reflect on how, but for a couple turns of fortune, it could have been him in that photo, i.e. Walt living Elliot's life - married to Gretchen, wealthy, respected, a business and science tycoon.

Yet another mirror image.

Watched the second half last night on YouTube. It's still excellent, although I also like the idea that it was all a dream while he was freezing to death in the car.

Watched the second half last night on YouTube. It's still excellent, although I also like the idea that it was all a dream while he was freezing to death in the car.
I would actually prefer to think of it that way, but I just can't make my brain accept that interpretation. I'm 100% sure that Gilligan fully intended the events in the finale to have literally occurred in real life, not just in Walt's head.

I would actually prefer to think of it that way, but I just can't make my brain accept that interpretation. I'm 100% sure that Gilligan fully intended the events in the finale to have literally occurred in real life, not just in Walt's head.
Agreed. I like the ending and making it a dream would have felt cheap in the moment. Like he was trying to one-up the Sopranoes by saying "look! We can be tricky as well!"

Here's why the dream scenario doesnt make sense. He had no way of knowing Jesse was being kept as a slave. That wouldve been some amazing coincidence in his dream world.

Here's why the dream scenario doesnt make sense. He had no way of knowing Jesse was being kept as a slave. That wouldve been some amazing coincidence in his dream world.
Not at all. As angry as he was with Jesse, he probably would have been glad to imagine jesse was miserable and suffering instead of simply being dead. Furthermore, if it was a dream and crafted to he all about his ego, what better way to have that happen then to let himself he the savior to the suffering of Jesse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. If you remove that little detail somehow, the "dream" idea is a really good one that makes the ending more satisfying for me personally. But it's just not possible given the whole thing with Jesse.

Not at all. As angry as he was with Jesse, he probably would have been glad to know jesse was miserable and suffering instead of simply being dead. Furthermore, if it was a dream and crafted to he all about his ego, what better way to have that happen then to let himself he the savior to the suffering of Jesse?
But when Walt is sitting in his car in New Hampshire, he has no idea that Jesse is even alive, let alone being held as a meth-slave. (Walt knows that Jesse is wanted by the police, but he probably figures the Nazis killed him and he's buried in a hole or dissolved in a bucket).

Not at all. As angry as he was with Jesse, he probably would have been glad to know jesse was miserable and suffering instead of simply being dead. Furthermore, if it was a dream and crafted to he all about his ego, what better way to have that happen then to let himself he the savior to the suffering of Jesse?
But when Walt is sitting in his car in New Hampshire, he has no idea that Jesse is even alive, let alone being held as a meth-slave. (Walt knows that Jesse is wanted by the police, but he probably figures the Nazis killed him and he's buried in a hole or dissolved in a bucket).
Maybe. He heard in the interview that the blue is back. When he is with badger and Pete he "learn am Jesse is still alive and goes in to finish everyone off.

I know it wasn't a dream. In just saying it would have set up fine with me had it been.

Users who are viewing this thread