What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Lost Season 6 *** (1 Viewer)

I know this can be debated at length with no definitive answer, but how does a bomb going off in a remote island that no one knows about affect people like Sayid, Locke and Jack. I can understand it affecting Widmore, Ben, Desmond and Penny, but I fail to see how it changes the lives of some of the others to the extent that it did (or appears to have based on sideways)
That's fairly easy. Jacob has been intentionally steering them to the island. If the island is sunk, Jacob isn't there to steer them. We will probably never see scenes to clearly explain exactly how Jacob's actions pushed them in that direction. Its just sort of left to the viewer to assume that they did.

I'm more than willing to discuss the show, as well, and thanks for not just blindly calling me a fanboy. But, dead honest, some of your posts come across and trolling. You may not mean it that way, but that's how they come across. I'm past that now, though.

You probably don't put much stock in what Cuse and Lindelof have to say, but I'm going to copy and paste parts of an interview with them. This was done right after the season premiere this year. You can read the entire article/interview here. I hope it's helpful to you, and anyone else, for that matter. I've bolded key parts, but the entire thing should pretty much be required reading, IMO.

EW: The whole idea of flash-sideways and the plan to use season 6 to show us a world where Oceanic 815 never crashed — how long has that been in the works? Why did you want to do it?

DAMON LINDELOF: It’s been in play for at least a couple of years. We knew that the ending of the time travel season was going to be an attempt to reboot. And as a result, we [knew] the audience was going to come out of the “do-over moment” thinking we were either going start over or just say it didn’t work and continue on. [We thought] wouldn’t it be great if we did both? That was the origin of the story.

CARLTON CUSE: We thought just doing one [of those options] would inherently not be satisfying. Since the very beginning of the show, characters started crossing through each other’s stories. Part of our desire [in season 6] is to show that there’s still this kind of weave, that these characters still would have impacted each other’s lives even without the event of crashing on the Island. Obviously, the big question of the season is going to be: How do these [two timelines] reconcile? However, for the fans who have not watched the show closely, that’s an intact narrative. You can just watch the flash sideways — they stand alone all by themselves. For the fans who are more deeply embedded in the show, you can watch those flash sideways, compare them to what transpired in the flashbacks and go, “Oh, that’s an interesting difference.”

LINDELOF: Right out of the gate, in the first five minutes of the premiere, you get hit over the head with two things that you’re not expecting. The first is that Desmond is on the plane. The second thing that we do is we drop out of the plane and we go below the water and we see that the Island is submerged. What we’re trying to do there is basically say to you, “God bless the survivors of Oceanic 815, because they’re so self-centered, they thought the only effect [of detonating the bomb] was going to be that their plane never crashes.” But they don’t stop to think, “If we do this in 1977, what else is going to affected by this?” So that their entire lives can be changed radically. In fact, it would appear that they’ve sunken the Island. That’s our way of saying, “Keep your eyes peeled for the differences that you’re not expecting.” Some of these characters were still in Australia, but some weren’t. Shannon’s not there. Boone actually says that he tried to get her back. There are all sorts of other people that we don’t see. Where’s Libby? Where’s Ana Lucia? Where’s Eko? These are all the things that you’re supposed to be thinking about. When our characters posited the “What if?” scenario, they neglected to think about what the other effects of potentially changing time might be and we’re embracing those things.

EW: That said, are you saying definitively that detonating Jughead was the event that created this new timeline? Or is that a mystery which the season 6 story will reveal?

LINDELOF: It’s a mystery. A big one.

CUSE: We did have some concern that it might be confusing kind of going into the season. To clear that up a little bit: The archetypes of the characters are the same and that’s the most significant thing. Kate is still a fugitive. If you were to look at the Comic-Con video, for instance, that now comes into play. There was a different scenario in that story. She basically blew up an apprentice plumber as opposed to killing her biological father/stepfather. Those kind of differences exist, but who the characters fundamentally are is the same. If it becomes too confusing for you, you can just follow the flash sideways for what they are. It’s not as though there’s narrative that hangs on the fact that you need to know that this event was different in that world, in the flashback world versus the sideways world. That’s not critical for being able to process the narrative this season.

EW: Is there a relationship between Island reality and sideways reality? Will they run parallel for the remainder of the season? Will they fuse together? Might one fade away?

LINDELOF: For us, the big risk that we’re taking in the final season of the show is basically this very question. [Lindelof then explains the show has replaced the trademark “whoosh!” sound effect marking the segue between Island present story and flashbacks or flash-forwards, thus calling conspicuous attention to the relationship between the Island world and the Sideways world.] This is the critical mystery of the season, which is, “What is the relationship between these two shows?” And we don’t use the phrase “alternate reality,” because to call one of them an “alternate reality” is to infer that one of them isn’t real, or one of them is real and the other is the alternate to being real.

CUSE: But the questions you’re asking are exactly the right questions. What are we to make of the fact that they’re showing us two different timelines? Are they going to resolve? Are they going to connect? Are they going to co-exist in parallel fashion? Are they going to cross? Do they intersect? Does one prove to be viable and the other one not? I think those are all the kind of speculations that are the right speculations to be having at this point in the season.

LINDELOF: But it is going to require patience. We’ve taught the audience how to be patient thus far, so while they’re getting a lot of mythological answers on the island early in the season, this idea of what is the relationship between the two [worlds] is a little bit more of a slow burn.
Similarily to how you suggest not to marry yourself to a theory - I would say do not put a lot of stock in anything the writers say either.Let's conisder a couple of things they have said:

-Dead is dead

Sayid may or may not be proof that this was dishonest. Jury is out right now. But it is kind of curious how dead can be dea when there is a resurrection pit on the island. And ultimately, wouldn't a great moment be the resurrection of the real John Locke?

-You can't change the past

Again, jury is out but they sure have indicated this has been done. And this they hide behind the statement "whatever happened, happened" - which kind of is a catch all for it might not make sense but it's what happened.

-We will not have any time paradoxes

Which is compleltely dishonest. In fact, the show hinges on the paradox of Ben's treatment of the 815ers leading to Sayid's attempt to kill Ben as a child

So right there, I would say do not put a lot of stock in things they say. It's promotion of the show. If they stated the contrary to any of the above (dead means nothing, you can change the past, there will be paradoxes), I would expect more viewers would have bailed sooner.

Ok. In an earlier episode, during a flash sideways, kate was escaping and sawyer was in an elevator with kate and other cops. They mentioned some sort of police code and he asked what that meant. Then he helped her escape. Shouldn't he have known that code being that he is a cop?
:goodposting: I forgot about that.
You don't think Australia has differant codes?
I though they were in LA and Sawyer was an LA officer? He was returning from a trip to Australia.

Also, regarding the writers, I can't locate the post but someone posted a few weeks back regarding the top 13 mysteries of Lost. Which the writers identified one of them as being the mother of Jack's son.

Really? Seriously? Does anybody care?

When the writers state that item is important to them - I think they are setting up the expecation to be disappointed if you want a number of answers to many questions more important than that one.

Ok. In an earlier episode, during a flash sideways, kate was escaping and sawyer was in an elevator with kate and other cops. They mentioned some sort of police code and he asked what that meant. Then he helped her escape. Shouldn't he have known that code being that he is a cop?
:thumbup: I forgot about that.
You don't think Australia has differant codes?
I though they were in LA and Sawyer was an LA officer? He was returning from a trip to Australia.
They were in LA. Sawyer obviously knew what the codes meant. Him helping Kate was to show the dual (sometimes good....sometimes bad) nature of Sawyer's character. Sawyer will always be Sawyer regardless of the crash. The island doesn't change people.

Also, regarding the writers, I can't locate the post but someone posted a few weeks back regarding the top 13 mysteries of Lost. Which the writers identified one of them as being the mother of Jack's son.Really? Seriously? Does anybody care?When the writers state that item is important to them - I think they are setting up the expecation to be disappointed if you want a number of answers to many questions more important than that one.
I haven't read the article you are talking about. But a lot of people like the show for different reason. Some of us like to :thumbup: and talk about the multiple timelines and island mythology etc. Others are more interested in the personal stories of the characters. These people may find the mother of Jack's son reveal to be more interesting than mysteries you may want to learn about. I'm sure the list was created to ensure that anyone reading it would go "Yeah I'm really curious about that too."NO NEED TO RAGE ABOUT IT

This post is speculation at best but I am wondering who the final episodes will focus on. There are 11 hours, 10 episodes, possibly 9 character focused shows (assuming the last episode will not focus on one character). So, which 9 will be focused on?

- Sawyer

- Sun & Jin

- Walt

- Ilana

- Richard

- Hurley

- Frank Lapidas

- Widmore (Penny & Desmond)

- Desmond (Penny & Widmore)

- Miles

- Claire

- Locke

- Nemesis

- Jacob

- Jack

- Christian

- Aaron

- Vincent

- Rose & Bernard

- Cindy, Zach, Emma
Throw in a Kate and Jacob/Norwood episode and that should do it. Not sure what the order would be but those are what I'd expect.
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
The spoiler I put in that tag was a lie. So if you read it, don't worry it didn't spoil anything.Now, if you read what I put in THIS spoiler tag, it will probably ruin the end of the show for you. This is the REAL order of focus of the final episodes. Click this tag, and the show probably won't be the same for you.

6x10 The Kwon family

6x11 Desmond

6x12 Hurley

6x13 Jack

6x14 none

6x15 the smoke monster / Jacob

6x16 Daniel Faraday

6x17/6x18 Daniel Faraday

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Now, if you read what I put in THIS spoiler tag, it will probably ruin the end of the show for you. This is the REAL order of focus of the final episodes. Click this tag, and the show probably won't be the same for you.

6x10 The Kwon family

6x11 Desmond

6x12 Hurley

6x13 Jack

6x14 none

6x16 Daniel Faraday

6x17/6x18 Daniel Faraday
Yup

kaa said:
This post is speculation at best but I am wondering who the final episodes will focus on. There are 11 hours, 10 episodes, possibly 9 character focused shows (assuming the last episode will not focus on one character). So, which 9 will be focused on?

- Sawyer

- Sun & Jin

- Walt

- Ilana

- Richard

- Hurley

- Frank Lapidas

- Miles

- Claire

- Locke

- Nemesis

- Jacob

- Jack

- Christian

- Aaron

- Vincent

- Rose & Bernard

- Cindy, Zach, Emma
Throw in a Kate and Jacob/Norwood episode and that should do it. Not sure what the order would be but those are what I'd expect.
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();
The spoiler I put in that tag was a lie. So if you read it, don't worry it didn't spoil anything.Now, if you read what I put in THIS spoiler tag, it will probably ruin the end of the show for you. This is the REAL order of focus of the final episodes. Click this tag, and the show probably won't be the same for you.

6x10 The Kwon family

6x11 Desmond

6x12 Hurley

6x13 Jack

6x14 none

6x16 Daniel Faraday

6x17/6x18 Daniel Faraday

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();Whats your source? I'm curious because nothing is mentioned on DarkUfo. All they know is that 6.16 is called

Now, if you read what I put in THIS spoiler tag, it will probably ruin the end of the show for you. This is the REAL order of focus of the final episodes. Click this tag, and the show probably won't be the same for you.

6x10 The Kwon family

6x11 Desmond

6x12 Hurley

6x13 Jack

6x14 none

6x16 Daniel Faraday

6x17/6x18 Daniel Faraday
"whoa".. Keanu Reeves

Equally bad was Sawyer's reaction "WHAT DID YOU SEE?" it's almost as bad as Kate's "DON'T EVER ASK ME AGAIN WHAT HAPPENED TO AARON!"
You know if somebody continually peed in my cornflakes day after day I'd eventually have to consider something other than cornflakes.

- Sawyer

- Sun & Jin

- Walt

- Ilana

- Richard

- Hurley

- Frank Lapidas

- Miles

- Claire

- Locke

- Nemesis

- Jacob

- Jack

- Christian

- Aaron

- Vincent

- Rose & Bernard

- Cindy, Zach, Emma
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();

6x10 The Kwon family

6x11 Desmond

6x12 Hurley

6x13 Jack

6x14 none

6x16 Daniel Faraday

6x17/6x18 Daniel Faraday

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();Whats your source? I'm curious because nothing is mentioned on DarkUfo. All they know is that 6.16 is called Well let's put it this way...you see the story of Lost is the story of...
Faraday of the alternate timeline (the one where 815 never crashes) becomes unstuck in time. Only it sends him back about 5000 years and he crosses dimensions and he winds up on the island. The island with its strange radiation properties is a lot like Faraday's machine, only on a grand scale. Faraday is stuck, lost, confused, and splits into two personalities: Jacob and the smoke monster. To make himself whole, he must find his constant. Therefore, he assembles a list of 108 candidates. One of them is his constant. If he scans the correct person, his mind is fixed. He is trying to guide these 108 people to the island to scan them.

The problem is his constant is Desmond, and Desmond kept himself locked in the swan hatch, preventing him from being scanned. Then he got off the island. Jacob / Smokey must somehow interact with Desmond in some special way to fix himself, become Faraday again, and go home.

Well let's put it this way...you see the story of Lost is the story of...

Faraday of the alternate timeline (the one where 815 never crashes) becomes unstuck in time. Only it sends him back about 5000 years and he crosses dimensions and he winds up on the island. The island with its strange radiation properties is a lot like Faraday's machine, only on a grand scale. Faraday is stuck, lost, confused, and splits into two personalities: Jacob and the smoke monster. To make himself whole, he must find his constant. Therefore, he assembles a list of 108 candidates. One of them is his constant. If he scans the correct person, his mind is fixed. He is trying to guide these 108 people to the island to scan them.

The problem is his constant is Desmond, and Desmond kept himself locked in the swan hatch, preventing him from being scanned. Then he got off the island. Jacob / Smokey must somehow interact with Desmond in some special way to fix himself, become Faraday again, and go home.

this is some crazy ####...i think it could be a good way to end though

Well let's put it this way...you see the story of Lost is the story of...

OR
1) This has all taken place in the mind of Faraday's girlfriend in the coma.

2) This has all been a search for HER constant.

3) When her constant is found, she will wake up, and the series will end.

4) Faraday and his girlfriend are Adam and Eve.

5) If it ends this way, then I will be pissed, as well.

");document.close();

6x10 The Kwon family

6x11 Desmond

6x12 Hurley

6x13 Jack

6x14 none

6x16 Daniel Faraday

6x17/6x18 Daniel Faraday

Whats your source? I'm curious because nothing is mentioned on DarkUfo. All they know is that 6.16 is called Well let's put it this way...you see the story of Lost is the story of...

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();I could see this being the case... Not sure if the spoilers are real or just speculation, but it all fits pretty well together.

I could see this being the case... Not sure if the spoilers are real or just speculation, but it all fits pretty well together.
Can someone in fact confirm whether or not if it's a spoiler? If it's a true theory about the show, I'd like to read it.

I could see this being the case... Not sure if the spoilers are real or just speculation, but it all fits pretty well together.
Can someone in fact confirm whether or not if it's a spoiler? If it's a true theory about the show, I'd like to read it.
I read it and I don't know if it's just speculation by kaa or if he read it somewhere. It doesn't provide any source of where it comes from.

I hope the last 5 minutes of the series finale is like "The Sixth Sense" or the "Usual Suspects" where they make a big reveal and then they go back and show you a bunch of stuff from earlier in the series that confirm that's what was going on along.

OR

1) This has all taken place in the mind of Faraday's girlfriend in the coma.

2) This has all been a search for HER constant.

3) When her constant is found, she will wake up, and the series will end.

4) Faraday and his girlfriend are Adam and Eve.

5) If it ends this way, then I will be pissed, as well.
Furthermore.........
I would really like to know if the episode that we saw her in corresponds with the exact middle of the series...........going along with the theme of latter episodes mirroring earlier episodes.

I hope the last 5 minutes of the series finale is like "The Sixth Sense" or the "Usual Suspects" where they make a big reveal and then they go back and show you a bunch of stuff from earlier in the series that confirm that's what was going on along.
That would do the trick for me as well
This would satisfy most of the fans who invested a lot of time and concentration watching the show. It'd be like a reward. Remember this? Then remember this? And how it led to this? Well it all happened because of this.As for what will actually happen, I think after a feverish build-up, the last scene will lead to Jack screaming at Jacob "Why? What was the meaning of all of this--what happens now!?", and Jacob giving a little smirk and shrug before a boom and the black screen.

That would do the trick for me as well
This would satisfy most of the fans who invested a lot of time and concentration watching the show. It'd be like a reward. Remember this? Then remember this? And how it led to this? Well it all happened because of this.As for what will actually happen, I think after a feverish build-up, the last scene will lead to Jack screaming at Jacob "Why? What was the meaning of all of this--what happens now!?", and Jacob giving a little smirk and shrug before a boom and the black screen.
It's a mystery show. No way they wrap it up neatly. The big draw for the die hard fans is all the extra "work" and time they spend writing, talking, reading about the show. Gotta leave 'em with something to "figure out".

I remember an interview with cuse and lindelhoff from (I think) before Season 5, not long after they announced the end of the series after season 6. They said they already had the ending scene written, and they compared what they were expecting the fan reaction to be to the reaction to the end of sopranos.

They also said they were going to be on vacation starting before the episode airs for several months after it airs so they wouldn't be around to hear/be a part of any criticism of the ending of the show.

Not sure what that means in the long run, but...

I remember an interview with cuse and lindelhoff from (I think) before Season 5, not long after they announced the end of the series after season 6. They said they already had the ending scene written, and they compared what they were expecting the fan reaction to be to the reaction to the end of sopranos. They also said they were going to be on vacation starting before the episode airs for several months after it airs so they wouldn't be around to hear/be a part of any criticism of the ending of the show. Not sure what that means in the long run, but...
Oof. I loved the Sopranos ending because I felt it fit with what the show was. For Lost? No. There will be riots. According to this they aren't saying the ending will be the same, just the reaction, but the reaction can only be the same if there is major ambiguity, and this show has not been structured to end with major ambiguity.

I remember an interview with cuse and lindelhoff from (I think) before Season 5, not long after they announced the end of the series after season 6. They said they already had the ending scene written, and they compared what they were expecting the fan reaction to be to the reaction to the end of sopranos. They also said they were going to be on vacation starting before the episode airs for several months after it airs so they wouldn't be around to hear/be a part of any criticism of the ending of the show. Not sure what that means in the long run, but...
Sure they do. Just like they had everything planned out. Yeah.

Anyone have any theories on how Walt will figure in all of this? They made such a big deal showing that he was 'special'. I've gotta think he'll show up before this show ends.

Anyone have any theories on how Walt will figure in all of this? They made such a big deal showing that he was 'special'. I've gotta think he'll show up before this show ends.
Only thing I can think of is he is similar to Desmond. Why Desmond is special though is beyond me right now.
It's beyond you because he's had 1 minute of screen time in the last 12 hours of the show.

Overall Kaa's post seems logical - although probably an unsatisfactory conclusion for many.

That second paragaph is a little shaky though.

The Dude said:
AAABatteries said:
Equally bad was Sawyer's reaction "WHAT DID YOU SEE?" it's almost as bad as Kate's "DON'T EVER ASK ME AGAIN WHAT HAPPENED TO AARON!"
You know if somebody continually peed in my cornflakes day after day I'd eventually have to consider something other than cornflakes.
How would that keep someone from peeing in my cheerios? You're missing the big picture - on both counts.
I'd probably stop eating cereal then.

Tough As Nails said:
Mario Kart said:
IDrinkyourMilkshake said:
Only thing I can think of is he is similar to Desmond. Why Desmond is special though is beyond me right now.
It's beyond you because he's had 1 minute of screen time in the last 12 hours of the show.
Um, no. I made a post after episode one this season about how Desmond is the key component and we could see where this show is going by viewing The Constant and its principles more. Desmond is not beyond me however I am not sure how they are going to wrap his story up and if or how much Faraday will impact Desmond if at all.

Tough As Nails said:
Mario Kart said:
IDrinkyourMilkshake said:
Um, no. I made a post after episode one this season about how Desmond is the key component and we could see where this show is going by viewing The Constant and its principles more. Desmond is not beyond me however I am not sure how they are going to wrap his story up and if or how much Faraday will impact Desmond if at all.
I wasn't talking about YOU. I was talking about everybody. Nobody knows how Desmond fits in because nobody has seen anything about Desmond all season long.

I haven't read any of the above spoilers and I don't plan on it. But I just came across this theory. It's from The Amazing Steve, who does the 24 recaps.

He also does some blogs on Lost and apparently takes reader questions.

http://www.magiclamp.org/

LOST Theories

Peter Ho-Sing-Loy writes:

Do you think this is a Cain and Abel story where they are fighting for

Eden…over and over and over

I have to say that I don’t believe this theory, simply because there is too much Egyptian imagery on the show. The four-toed statue, for example is of Taweret, the Egyptian god of childbirth and fertility.

Now that’s not to say that I believe that Jacob was really Taweret – the big reason for this is that Taweret is female. I think it’s much more likely that Jacob is in fact, Sobek-Ra.

From Wikipedia:

Sobek’s ambiguous nature led some Egyptians to believe that he was a repairer of evil that had been done, rather than a force for good in itself, for example, going to Duat to restore damage done to the dead as a result of their form of death. He was also said to call on suitable gods and goddesses required for protecting people in situation, effectively having a more distant role, nudging things along, rather than taking an active part. In this way, he was seen as a more primal god, eventually becoming regarded as an avatar of the primal god Amun, who at that time was considered the chief god. When his identity finally merged, Amun had become merged himself with Ra to become Amun-Ra, so Sobek, as an avatar of Amun-Ra, was known as Sobek-Ra.

Following along this line, the Man in Black could be the personification of Ammut, the demon that devoured souls that were considered unworthy when judge in the afterlife. (Yeah, that goes against the who male/female thing I stated earlier, since Ammut is female).

It’s possible that what we’ll learn is that while the Egyptians believed all this, the real “truth” that will be revealed in LOST may be that the people the Egyptians considered to be gods are actually placeholders for good and evil. Maybe vessels would be a better word. In other words, I don’t think that Jacob and the Man in Black are good and evil personified, rather “good” took over whoever Jacob was in a previous life to look after “evil”. Evil had to be held in place (You folks who play World of Warcraft and know the story of Arthas the Lich King, and his successor will understand what I mean by “held in place) by someone willing to do so. That’s where the Man in Black came into the picture. He wanted the power, but didn’t fully understand what the implications of that power were. In other words, he can have all the power he wanted, but he’s stuck on the island.

He was probably tricked into that role by the previous vessel. I think his plan is to give that over to Widmore or really has no idea what he’s getting himself into.

Jacob’s role is likely to be taken over by Ben… at least that’s my current guess. Widmore and Ben are already enemies, and there’s nobody else on the island who wants to keep it safe more than Ben does.

The island itself? Likely the original Garden of Eden. ….Hey, I know, I know…but if you have a better guess for what that place is, I’d love to hear about it in the comments!

Thanks for the question, Peter!

I'm still waiting for the payoff from Jack's tatoo given to him by the crazy Thai girl.

"He walks among us but is not one of us"

I remember Jack remarking to someone "That's what it says but it's not what it means"

Spooky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting for the payoff from Jack's tatoo given to him by the crazy Thai girl."He walks among us but is not one of us"I remember Jack remarking to someone "That's what it says but it's not what it means"Spooky.
I agree and I've even said as much in this thread. That episode really irked a lot of people - nearly as much as the Nikki and Paulo episode. But I have a feeling that Jack's tattoo is going to end up being a big part of the conclusion of the series.

I haven't read any of the above spoilers and I don't plan on it. But I just came across this theory. It's from The Amazing Steve, who does the 24 recaps.
:popcorn: I haven't seen much in the way of spoilers. kaa posted a list of characters the remaining episodes will center on (unaccredited, but we'll see shortly whether the list tracks). kaa also posted a theory, so feel free to read it (like you did with Amazing Steve's). It's all speculation at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread