What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Lost Season 6 *** (2 Viewers)

If i understand correctly, Jacob has been bringing people to the Island to change MIB's thinking that all people are corruptable and bad. Is that part of the job or is Jacob trying to be a hero?

KGB said:
I just want to say the richard episode is one I've been waiting for and ill be on a plane and miss it. They better be fast with the torrent
eztv.it is really good. I've DL'ed and watched episodes (I live in CA) before they've aired here.kaa's theory is just his wacky rambling. FWIW, and I don't know if it means anything, but I remember reading somewhere that the LOST creators shared how the show would end with one cast-member:

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Take it FWIW. :shrug:

BTW, really good episode. Not so much for what it revealed, but how well it was shot/laid out/acted/edited.
If your spoiler is true, then I think it will end how it started.

Fantastic episode.

Random thoughts

Smokey telling Richard what Dogen told Sayid when he was sent to kill NotLocke. I have a feeling that knife will play a very big role in how this season plays out.

I guess the ship we saw in last season's finale wasn't the Black Rock, afterall.

I'm not sure I buy the Black Rock smashing the statue to bits. The only person who said that's what happened was Smokey, who wasn't exactly truthful. IMO, it's more likely the huge wave that the Black Rock was on did the smashing, but it's not something I'm prepared to argue about.

Richard's revelation to Jack earlier this season about not aging because Jacob touched him wasn't a lie, but it wasn't entirely truthful, either.

This might be the first episode this season where the central character didn't look at their reflection.

Jacob is a really good fighter.

The actor who plays MiB is really, really good - as is Nestor Carbonell.

I still contend that Smokey doesn't eat in the physical sense that we do. Jacob offered him food and he said he already ate, a pig was roasting and Richard was eating, but Smokey wasn't. If we go with the Egyptian analogy that Smokey is the devourer of souls, I'm quite certain that this is how he "feeds."

Great "cork in a wine bottle" analogy.

Doc Jensen's quick-hits before the gargantuan recap due to be posted later today.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/03/23/tonights...-spoiler-alert/

Tonight's mythically heavy 'Lost': An all-time classic or just alright? Start debating! (Oh, and SPOILER ALERT!)

by Jeff Jensen

It began in the darkest of night, on the shores of a place Richard Alpert called Hell. It ended in daylight, in a lush Edenesque patch of The Island, with the ageless enigma standing underneath the kind of massive tree that can only exist in a land of fantasy or myth, trembling with much fear and a glimmer of hope. In between, we got a story that asked questions that we’ve been asking ab aeterno—”since the beginning.” What is good? What is evil? How do we know the difference? Who knows what is truly best for us? Who should we trust? How do we make moral choices amid such ambiguity? Why must we figure this stuff out on our own? Why don’t the gods of the universe play straight with us? How the flaming hell are we supposed to live like this?

“Ab Aeterno” was a heavy, heady, and surprisingly emotional hour of TV, suffused with Biblical subtext, scribbled with subtitles, and stuffed with answers for the show’s Island mythology, albeit in a fabulistic form requiring careful interpretation and a clarification or two. Or more. In addition to getting a story that revealed how Richard Alpert got to The Island, we got a story that revealed the nature of the relationship between Jacob and The Man In Black, at least as it existed prior to Jacob’s death last season. Indeed, we got the sense that the battle these two angelic/demonic/whatchamacallum entities waged over Alpert’s soul was actually the first phase of Man In Black’s 240 years-in-the-making Smoke-man from Alcatraz escape plan. The episode used a corked bottle of wine as a symbol for Lost cosmology, with The Island playing the role of the stopper that kept something toxic from spilling out and corrupting us all. Of course, that was Jacob’s interpretation. Did you believe him?

“Ab Aeterno” was a big winner in my book. It was definitely the most unusual episode Lost has given us this season. It was technically a flashback story, thanks to the Island-set framing device, but most of it was told in linear fashion. It was definitely not a Sideways episode. (I will pause a microsecond to allow the silly haters to cheer.) It was also the ninth hour of Lost’s 18-hour final season. We’re halfway to the finish, and the castaways are halfway to home or oblivion. Which one will it be? Right now, I guess it depends on how you view the jug. But let’s crack it open and see if we find clarity. I’ll be back tomorrow morning with full analysis–and I promise a minimum of drunken theorizing this week. Besides, I saved all my intoxicated crazyiness for this week’s Totally Lost, in which Dan and I welcome Rebecca Mader, aka Charlotte Lewis, to our little sandbox for an interview, plus some fun and games. And beer.

Smokey telling Richard what Dogen told Sayid when he was sent to kill NotLocke. I have a feeling that knife will play a very big role in how this season plays out.The actor who plays MiB is really, really good - as is Nestor Carbonell.
Regarding the knife, it's interesting that Ben did the same thing - stabbed Jacob in the chest which appeared to kill him - but he wasn't wielding that knife - not sure if that is indicative of anything.Carbonell's acting last night is superior to any acting we have seen on this show - and I am basing that on the range of emotions. I agree the unLocke actor plays the role well but the acting so far is minimal.

If i understand correctly, Jacob has been bringing people to the Island to change MIB's thinking that all people are corruptable and bad. Is that part of the job or is Jacob trying to be a hero?
And don't overlook the religious tones - we are all prone to be sinners so unLocke is right. And I think almost all the candidates have exhibited that quality - through acts of violence, murder, etc - I'm not sure how Jacob will win that argument.

Smokey telling Richard what Dogen told Sayid when he was sent to kill NotLocke. I have a feeling that knife will play a very big role in how this season plays out.The actor who plays MiB is really, really good - as is Nestor Carbonell.
Regarding the knife, it's interesting that Ben did the same thing - stabbed Jacob in the chest which appeared to kill him - but he wasn't wielding that knife - not sure if that is indicative of anything.Carbonell's acting last night is superior to any acting we have seen on this show - and I am basing that on the range of emotions. I agree the unLocke actor plays the role well but the acting so far is minimal.
The thing that I like about Un-Locke is that him (Titus Welliver) and John Locke are mimicking a lot of the same facial mannerisms. I

And hasn't Hurley's gift made Miles kind of a redundant character - they both now talk to the dead - but it sounds like Hurley's gift encompasses Miles gift as I believe he can only talk to the recently dead.

I'm sure that will get some hate

I'm not sure the pieces fit together well.

Jacob: Alpert, I want you to represent me and act on my behalf. I believe people are good and unLocke belives they are prone to sin.

So Alpert spends his time aligned to Ben who is torturing and murdering people?

And don't overlook the religious tones - we are all prone to be sinners so unLocke is right. And I think almost all the candidates have exhibited that quality - through acts of violence, murder, etc - I'm not sure how Jacob will win that argument.
Isn't Flocke's argument that all humans will exhibit that quality?All it takes is one to act selflessly in order to do the right thing and Jacob's point is proven. If that act happens to "keep the cork in the bottle" at the same time, then its a huge win. My guess: Hurley is the one who acts selflessly, which makes Jack realize humanity is basically good, and he assumes the Jacob role.

Jacob also said that whatever happened before the island, doesn't matter. The island, to quote the name of an episode in season 1 is a "Tabula Rasa" a blank slate. You start fresh there. From the Wiki article -
fact, our modern idea of the theory is mostly attributed to John Locke's expression of the idea in An Essay Concerning Human Understanding in the 17th century. In Locke's philosophy, tabula rasa was the theory that the (human) mind is at birth a "blank slate" without rules for processing data, and that data is added and rules for processing are formed solely by one's sensory experiences. The notion is central to Lockean empiricism. As understood by Locke, tabula rasa meant that the mind of the individual was born "blank", and it also emphasized the individual's freedom to author his or her own soul. Each individual was free to define the content of his or her character - but his or her basic identity as a member of the human species cannot be so altered. It is from this presumption of a free, self-authored mind combined with an immutable human nature that the Lockean doctrine of "natural" rights derives.
I'm not saying that the remaining candidates are without sin, but if they're doing the right thing for the right reasons, that may be all Jacob needs.

And hasn't Hurley's gift made Miles kind of a redundant character - they both now talk to the dead - but it sounds like Hurley's gift encompasses Miles gift as I believe he can only talk to the recently dead.
The gifts are similar, but aren't redundant, IMO. Miles can be near a dead person (AFAIK, the length of time that person's been dead, doesn't matter) and find out their manner of death and their final thoughts. No more than that.Hurley, on the other hand, can "meet" and have a full-on conversation with a dead person he may, or may not, have even met.Vastly different gifts that I don't believe are redundant.

But to extend on that thought, that conversation was at a point when Jacob appeared to not be getting involved in the actions of the people he was bringing to the island. So yes, MIB was right about humanity.However, Alpert seemed to convince Jacob that there was another way: get involved himself. But Jacob didn't want to do that... he would rather use a representative (i.e. Richard).

So I think Jacob can still be right. But maybe it just takes some nudging from him to get people to start acting in the way he expects them to act.

The gifts are similar, but aren't redundant, IMO. Miles can be near a dead person (AFAIK, the length of time that person's been dead, doesn't matter) and find out their manner of death and their final thoughts. No more than that.Hurley, on the other hand, can "meet" and have a full-on conversation with a dead person he may, or may not, have even met.Vastly different gifts that I don't believe are redundant.
Not to mention Hurley can only talk to ghosts, those that have stayed behind and want to talk to him, whereas Miles can get info from any dead person regardless.

I'm not sure the pieces fit together well.Jacob: Alpert, I want you to represent me and act on my behalf. I believe people are good and unLocke belives they are prone to sin.So Alpert spends his time aligned to Ben who is torturing and murdering people?
I actually agree with this, and it seems to be a rather large plot hole ATM, IMO.

I'm not sure the pieces fit together well.Jacob: Alpert, I want you to represent me and act on my behalf. I believe people are good and unLocke belives they are prone to sin.So Alpert spends his time aligned to Ben who is torturing and murdering people?
I actually agree with this, and it seems to be a rather large plot hole ATM, IMO.
Ben is torturing and killing these people because, (right or wrong) he believes he is protecting the island from them and from discovery.Which is why he couldn't let them leave and get help, which is why he needed to have Jack save his life (because if he died, the Island would be without a leader, without a caretaker).My two cents.

sorry this sucked, they are making up crap
Sorry they aren't following what happened when this story happened in real life. I can't wait for your LOST documentary that won't have any made up stuff.
They said a long time ago the show had nothing to do with heaven or hell and they is what it is playing out to be, even if it is not heaven and hell, it is lame to fake that angle after saying it wasn't.

Alpert is an advisor to the leader of The Others. After their initial meeting last night, I'm not sure he had a whole lot of interaction with Jacob. Last year when NotLocke demanded that they be taken to Jacob, Richard was quite reluctant to do so, IIRC. And even though Richard is the intermediary, I don't believe he an Jacob had regular meetings to discuss strategy, so to speak.Jacob is generally very "hands off" and even said as much to Richard last night. He wants people to do good because it's the right thing, whereas Smokey tries to exert more overt influences. With Jacob's hands-off approach, Ben usurping Widmore as the leader and Ben apparently getting direction from Jacob, Richard had to assume that it was Jacob's will. In actuality it was likely Smokey guiding Ben for his own malevolent purposes, but if Jacob has the aforementioned hands-off approach, Richard would continue in his intermediary role even though Ben's actions were likely not what Richard would think to be proper.This could have likely started Richard's crisis of faith that nearly ended in his suicide and and conversion to Smokey's side.

Sorry they aren't following what happened when this story happened in real life. I can't wait for your LOST documentary that won't have any made up stuff.
They said a long time ago the show had nothing to do with heaven or hell and they is what it is playing out to be, even if it is not heaven and hell, it is lame to fake that angle after saying it wasn't.
You really got faked out by that huh?Says more about you than the show actually.

There is absolutely NOTHING they could do in these last 8 episodes that would suddenly change your mind and make you enjoy it. So WHY THE HELL are you still watching it if you think it is crap. You have a remote. Use it. Then, in 7 weeks go online and read about the finale to find out what happened if you still have a need to find out still. Whining about it the way you are just makes you look like an idiot.
Hey moron, I haven't said anything bad about any episode except this one. I get it, you have a huge man crush on Richard and I hurt your feelings saying something bad about lost. Calm down now and suck my huge member you little girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the ship we saw in last season's finale wasn't the Black Rock, afterall.
Sack… Can you explain this to me as to how we know this? Admittedly my DVR f'ed me and I missed like the first 20 minutes of the show.
You remember the ship from the season finale last year? The day was sunny and clear and the sea was calm when Jacob and MiB had their conversation on the beach.Last night, the Black Rock was getting tossed around in a huge storm at night and was ultimately thrown onto the island (and apparently broke the Tawaret statue) by a massive wave.

There is absolutely NOTHING they could do in these last 8 episodes that would suddenly change your mind and make you enjoy it. So WHY THE HELL are you still watching it if you think it is crap. You have a remote. Use it. Then, in 7 weeks go online and read about the finale to find out what happened if you still have a need to find out still. Whining about it the way you are just makes you look like an idiot.
Hey moron, I haven't said anything bad about any episode except this one. I get it, you have a huge man crush on Richard and I hurt you feelings saying something bad about lost. Calm down now and suck my huge member you little girl.
It's a TV show. Dial it down a notch, before you get the thread locked or a timeout.

You really got faked out by that huh?Says more about you than the show actually.
Yeah, my bad, I should have just assumed they were lying. :goodposting:

Hey moron, I haven't said anything bad about any episode except this one. I get it, you have a huge man crush on Richard and I hurt you feelings saying something bad about lost. Calm down now and suck my huge member you little girl.
It's a TV show. Dial it down a notch, before you get the thread locked or a timeout.
Thanks for your input, now run along geek.

Yeah, my bad, I should have just assumed they were lying. :goodposting:
Well when you've got the bad guy sayings its hell, and saying Jacob is the devil and he is dead, when we know he isn't dead, then you've gotta think he may not be being 100% honest.But to each his own.

Yeah, my bad, I should have just assumed they were lying. :confused:
Well when you've got the bad guy sayings its hell, and saying Jacob is the devil and he is dead, when we know he isn't dead, then you've gotta think he may not be being 100% honest.But to each his own.
Well, if you could read you would have known I said to even play that angle was lame. But to each his own.

They could show Kate rubbing coconut oil all over herself for an entire episode and some of you would complain about the brand she was using.

HATERS GONNA HATE

They could show Kate rubbing coconut oil all over herself for an entire episode and some of you would complain about the brand she was using.HATERS GONNA HATE
Love I am a hater for not like one episode but everyone needs to hold on tight to something, I guess you guys have Lost.I would not complain about Kate/Oil and it would arouse me. BOING!

Jacob bringing Richard into the ocean to prove that he was actually alive was very baptismal. Yet another religious overtone.
I really loved this Jacob, more of a badass, much less laid back, and what a way to prove his point, "Why do you want me to stop?""Because I want to live!"
I got the impression that it was the first time MIB had really tried something like that. Jacob seemed genuinely surprised that (1) Alpert had found Jacob in the first place and (2) he had a significant knife. His questions to Alpert even made it appear he was piecing everything together.Plus MIB's plan to kill Jacob was pretty crude in comparison to the hoops he had to jump through to get Ben to do it.

Jacob bringing Richard into the ocean to prove that he was actually alive was very baptismal. Yet another religious overtone.
I really loved this Jacob, more of a badass, much less laid back, and what a way to prove his point, "Why do you want me to stop?""Because I want to live!"
I got the impression that it was the first time MIB had really tried something like that. Jacob seemed genuinely surprised that (1) Alpert had found Jacob in the first place and (2) he had a significant knife. His questions to Alpert even made it appear he was piecing everything together.Plus MIB's plan to kill Jacob was pretty crude in comparison to the hoops he had to jump through to get Ben to do it.
I think it also shows us something about the significance of the candidates.Maybe the candidates aren't necessarily there to "take over" for Jacob. Maybe they're Jacob's most likely people to prove his point about Humanity in the game with Flocke. If that's the case the reason Flocke had Ben try to kill Jacob wasn't because there was something special about Ben that would enable him to kill Jacob, but that Jacob would be more willing to let one of his potential "candidates" get close enough to do the job without physically stopping him like he did with Richard last night.Maybe they set up a more formal "wager" after the Black Rock showed up. Jacob gets 108 chances to prove his point...

Yeah, that was soooo great, did it get you aroused?
So fast, and when I looked down, I was bigger than you!

Yeah, I got that impression, too.The plan was crude, but you'd expect that for a first time. Since that time he obviously put more thought into it and set the wheels in motion for the elaborate loophole he found with Ben/Locke.

Yeah, that was soooo great, did it get you aroused?
So fast, and when I looked down, I was bigger than you!
I thought you were drunk. Know I know you are.

So MiB couldn't leave the island without Jacob's permission. Why?

Where did Jacob and MiB come from? Who is their father? Are they brothers? Why does Jacob have power over MiB?

Why did the smoke monster kill Mr. Echo?

Hey moron, I haven't said anything bad about any episode except this one. I get it, you have a huge man crush on Richard and I hurt your feelings saying something bad about lost. Calm down now and suck my huge member you little girl.
I gotta use this more.

FWIW

I was watching last week's episode and noticed that there was no 'sideways woosh' sound when they moved from the sideways scene back to the island.

Can't remember the exact scene but it involved Sawyer and was at about 21-22 min into the episode.

Is this significant?

Sack-Religious said:
I am looking forward to more questions.
I am looking forward to the pissing and moaning tomorrow when the arbitrary threshold for too few or just enough answers aren't met for some people.
I wish there was a way to split this thread in two. One for people to ##### and moan and another for people who actually still like the show or at least willing to give it until the end of the series before they want to complain.
That split would eerily parallel (a) the two realities we are being shown this season and (b) the splitting of factions into good vs evil.

So MiB couldn't leave the island without Jacob's permission. Why? Where did Jacob and MiB come from? Who is their father? Are they brothers? Why does Jacob have power over MiB? Why did the smoke monster kill Mr. Echo?
Because Ecko had qualities that intrigued the Smokey but was found to be incorruptibly good. Smokey could not afford to have someone like him on the island.Smokey kills the pawns who are of no value, don't have that "spark"...such as the men on the Black Rock, the people with Rousseau etc. and those that are incorruptible.Alpert proved to be the same.....but was protected by Jacob.ETA: That's not to say that Smokey cannot imitate these people. In Season Four, Young Ben comes across "Alpert" in the jungle while he was running away.

Users who are viewing this thread