What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody Not Believe in Global Warming Anymore? Make Your Case In Here. (1 Viewer)

They don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot:

• "Still don't believe in climate change? Then you're either deep in denial or delirious from the heat. . . . Yes, it's always hot here in the summer--but not this hot. Yes, we always have thunderstorms--but never like these."--Eugene Robinson, Washington Post, July 2, 2012
  • "Another insane cold wave--not the infamous 'polar vortex ' but its evil twin--is bringing sub-zero and single-digit temperatures to much of the nation. And global warming may be even more extreme, and potentially more catastrophic, than climate scientists had feared. This is, of course, no contradiction. The rallying cry of the denialists--'It's really cold outside, so global warming must be a crock!'--can be taken seriously only by those with a toddler's limited conception of time and space. They forget that it's winter, and apparently they don't quite grasp that even when it's cold in one part of the world, it can be hot in another."--Eugene Robinson, Washington Post, Jan. 28, 2014
I don't think you understand feet or shoes.

"Part of learning from [Hurricane Sandy] is the recognition that climate change is a reality." - Andrew Cuomo

What could we do to cause the earth to have a uniform temprature that everyone likes at all times? And if we did this, would there be a ton more bugs?

TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
What could we do to cause the earth to have a uniform temprature that everyone likes at all times? And if we did this, would there be a ton more bugs?
Space heater?
it has to be more complicated, otherwise the Iran will just turn it down to be a jerk. there has to be at least two keys that have to be turned by opposing world leaders to change the earth-o-stat®.

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?
Not space, dummy. Who cares how hot it is up there? Earth heater.
No. I meant an actual space heater.
and who is going to pay THAT electric bill? I say we make Paraguay do it..

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?
solar, wind and geothermal

Last edited by a moderator:
DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?
By my calculations enough wind turbines could actually alter the jet streams. Now look what you've gone and done.

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?
By my calculations enough wind turbines could actually alter the jet streams. Now look what you've gone and done.
Joe Barton agrees with you and I am sad

"Wind is God's way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it's hotter to areas where it's cooler. That's what wind is. Wouldn't it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I'm not saying that's going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can't transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It's just something to think about."

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?

"Wind is God's way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it's hotter to areas where it's cooler. That's what wind is. Wouldn't it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I'm not saying that's going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can't transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It's just something to think about."
He forgot to mention that there's also diminishing returns on your wind investments as a result. This could be some serious business. Is anyone tracking worldwide wind speeds, because I fear we might be too late already.

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?

He forgot to mention that there's also diminishing returns on your wind investments as a result. This could be some serious business. Is anyone tracking worldwide wind speeds, because I fear we might be too late already.
Build a huge fan.

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?
Joe Barton agrees with you and I am sad"Wind is God's way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it's hotter to areas where it's cooler. That's what wind is. Wouldn't it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I'm not saying that's going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can't transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It's just something to think about."
Space windmills.

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?
Joe Barton agrees with you and I am sad"Wind is God's way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it's hotter to areas where it's cooler. That's what wind is. Wouldn't it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I'm not saying that's going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can't transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It's just something to think about."
Space windmills.
Made from solar panels. The ultimate solarwind reutilization effort. Could also save us when the poles switch.Schlzm

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?
Space windmills.
Similar to a space heater or a windmill in space?

Pretty sure if you just reverse the polarity on the windmills, you can turn them into fans. Problem solved, you're welcome.

DiStefano said:
TheIronSheik said:
Apes with Guns said:
Space heater?

Uh...Oh...We have a GlobalWinding problem now? Great. Just Great.

There sure is a warming in CA! I'm tired of being in shorts and a tee shirt in Jan and going into Feb is not forcasted to be any different. :mad: I certainly believe in climate change, which to me means extremes are being seen more often.

There sure is a warming in CA! I'm tired of being in shorts and a tee shirt in Jan and going into Feb is not forcasted to be any different. :mad: I certainly believe in climate change, which to me means extremes are being seen more often.
Meh. I've always been a little cold so I like the warmer temps.

Curious about part of the title of this thread: "former global warming believers"- are there any?

Meaning: is there anyone out there who accepted the science of global warming, but has been convinced by these pseudo-scientists, right wing talk show hosts and conservative posters who never accepted it anyhow to change their minds?

Curious about part of the title of this thread: "former global warming believers"- are there any?

Meaning: is there anyone out there who accepted the science of global warming, but has been convinced by these pseudo-scientists, right wing talk show hosts and conservative posters who never accepted it anyhow to change their minds?
Yes.

Yes.
So you accepted the science previously, and now you don't?

Yes.
That's not what you asked.

Yes.
All right. Is there anyone here who has done this?

Yes.
I remember someone posting about this not so long ago. His sciencey friend convinced him to change his views, but I'm not sure of the details.

I changed my views on global warming over the past decade. I used to buy it hook, line, and sinker around 2001 or so. I've gotten more skeptical as I've aged though. I do think that it is factual that humans and their activities do have an impact on the global climate system. I think it would be ridiculous to say otherwise. However, I also think that we have shoddy records and a very incomplete knowledge base of a incredibly complex system, and I think we shouldn't be drawing any strong conclusions. I pretty much hate the alarmists right now. If the planet was 2 degrees warmer on average than it is right now, no one really knows if that would be a net positive or a net negative for us. And no one knows if humanity's impact is enough to cause that much of a shift. I do know another ice age would render us incapable of supporting the ammount of human life we currently have on our planet, so as long as we're moving away from that, I don't really care that much.

I honestly think the truth is that no one has a real good idea about what the extent of the impact of humanity's activities on the environment truly is AND I think we don't know enough about the potential outcomes of warming to be running scared from them either.

Homer J Simpson said:
timschochet said:
DrJ said:
timschochet said:
DrJ said:
timschochet said:

Yes.
I remember someone posting about this not so long ago. His sciencey friend convinced him to change his views, but I'm not sure of the details.
There was someone that posted this very thing in Tim's global warming thread within the last couple of weeks/pages. He was a believer, but based on the work from his father who was a highly respected scientist and others that worked with him he changed his opinion. I know Tim's in a hurry to spout off some nonsense so he doesn't actually read anything in these threads and just picks from one of his 3 or 4 pre canned responses for everything, and it's understandable that he missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Homer J Simpson said:
timschochet said:
DrJ said:
timschochet said:
DrJ said:
timschochet said:

Yes.
There was someone that posted this very thing in Tim's global warming thread within the last couple of weeks/pages. He was a believer, but based on the work from his father who was a highly respected scientist and others that worked with him he changed his opinion. I know Tim's in a hurry to spout off some nonsense so he doesn't actually read anything in these threads and just picks from one of his 3 or 4 pre canned responses for everything, and it's understandable that he missed it.
:lol:

I know the guy you're talking about. I didn't buy him. I believe Hulk, though.

Strange to say this, but it was a Michael Creighton book that set me down the path of questioning the warming thing a bit more. He was a bit crazy in reality though, even though I loved the majority of his books.

Homer J Simpson said:
timschochet said:
DrJ said:
timschochet said:
DrJ said:
timschochet said:

Yes.
:lol: I know the guy you're talking about. I didn't buy him. I believe Hulk, though.
I guess I'll have to defer to your expertise on determining whether people are being authentic in their responses on message boards. You do have 70,000 posts, and I'm going to guess you've read at least half as many as well.

Users who are viewing this thread