What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DSLR Camera Guys (1 Viewer)

In 2 weeks I can give you a review of how 2 lenses did at Disney.

The 18-55 IS (Canon XSI) and the 55-250 IS.

Got the new bag loaded up.

Spare battery and "Understanding Exposure" will be here Wednesday (something to read at night in the hotel when Im not dead to the world).

In 2 weeks I can give you a review of how 2 lenses did at Disney.The 18-55 IS (Canon XSI) and the 55-250 IS.Got the new bag loaded up.Spare battery and "Understanding Exposure" will be here Wednesday (something to read at night in the hotel when Im not dead to the world).
Cool. Not sure if I can wait that long but will try. The book is very good. I just finished it. One of the toughest parts was not being able to do the things he suggests because I do not have the camera yet.Thanks for starting this thread. To my surprise, my wife was very supporting of me getting into this. She actually just sent me a link to a class that starts up in April. She said someone she knew was telling her about it and recommends it.

Oh, there were a ton of threads last year...this one just came up as I was looking into purchasing at the end about the live view.

It was never the deal breaker and Im glad I strayed from the D3000 and stepped up a notch.

Now, I don't even think Ive really used the live view anyway.

My wife supports me taking a ton of pictures and learning more. She is iffy on how much she wants me to spend on it though. But she loves the pictures I have already taken of the kids...and Im just learning and getting started.

In 2 weeks I can give you a review of how 2 lenses did at Disney.The 18-55 IS (Canon XSI) and the 55-250 IS.Got the new bag loaded up.Spare battery and "Understanding Exposure" will be here Wednesday (something to read at night in the hotel when Im not dead to the world).
That will be my lineup for Disney in April. I think I will also rent the Canon 10-20 for the week.

Oh, there were a ton of threads last year...this one just came up as I was looking into purchasing at the end about the live view.It was never the deal breaker and Im glad I strayed from the D3000 and stepped up a notch.Now, I don't even think Ive really used the live view anyway. My wife supports me taking a ton of pictures and learning more. She is iffy on how much she wants me to spend on it though. But she loves the pictures I have already taken of the kids...and Im just learning and getting started.
The only time I have used the live view on my 40D was with macro shots, and then I prefer to focus through the lens

OK.

I have decided that I am going to go with the Nikon D90 (even with some of the technical problems that some of them have)

Now my question for the board is this:

Which lens(') should I get. First time photographer. Looking to cap the purchase at around $1500 or under (maybe a little more if it adds a second lens)
Personally for Disney I'd get this deal:$1446

D90 + 18-200 VR II

Like others have said, you can wait on a Prime.

ETA: 50mm f/1.4D - $289 (the prime I picked up last weekend)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.

I have decided that I am going to go with the Nikon D90 (even with some of the technical problems that some of them have)

Which lens(') should I get. First time photographer. Looking to cap the purchase at around $1500 or under (maybe a little more if it adds a second lens)

D90 + 18-200 VR II

Ding, Ding, Ding!

but Nikon USA will not service a direct import item at all, whether the customer is willing to pay or not.
So buying gray market Nikon products carries more risk than Canon?
The biggest risk is in not buying from a reptable retailer; check out www.resellerratings.com for customer feedback on any retailer that is unknown to you, before you part with your cc details!
I noticed on your site that you accept trade-ins. Can you give me a ballpark figure on what I would get for a Nikon D50 in excellent condition if I were to trade it in on another Nikon package? Possibly a D90 with either a prime lens (50mm 1.4) or the 18-200mm VR.I'm just in the preliminary stages, so I don't really want to talk to a salesperson, I just want to have a general idea.Thanks.ETA: I also have an old N65, what could I get for that?

I noticed on your site that you accept trade-ins. Can you give me a ballpark figure on what I would get for a Nikon D50 in excellent condition if I were to trade it in on another Nikon package? Possibly a D90 with either a prime lens (50mm 1.4) or the 18-200mm VR.

I'm just in the preliminary stages, so I don't really want to talk to a salesperson, I just want to have a general idea.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, not. You would need to speak to someone in the used department, as I have no experience at all of buying or selling equipment!You could visit the website search for your kit, and then guesstimate a figure somewhere beteen 65% - 75% of the re-sale prices, if you really do only want a very rough guide.

I noticed on your site that you accept trade-ins. Can you give me a ballpark figure on what I would get for a Nikon D50 in excellent condition if I were to trade it in on another Nikon package? Possibly a D90 with either a prime lens (50mm 1.4) or the 18-200mm VR.

I'm just in the preliminary stages, so I don't really want to talk to a salesperson, I just want to have a general idea.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, not. You would need to speak to someone in the used department, as I have no experience at all of buying or selling equipment!You could visit the website search for your kit, and then guesstimate a figure somewhere beteen 65% - 75% of the re-sale prices, if you really do only want a very rough guide.
In that case, I think I would just put it up on ebay or craigs list. Used equipment on ebay seems to go quite high, lots of time 80-90% of the price of new.

I like Adorama and B&H posting in here . Now as an Amazon prime customer I'd like to see them get on the ball.

bought my 1st dslr last month & I'm very happy with my purchase

OK.I have decided that I am going to go with the Nikon D90 (even with some of the technical problems that some of them have)Now my question for the board is this:Which lens(') should I get. First time photographer. Looking to cap the purchase at around $1500 or under (maybe a little more if it adds a second lens)
I would get the 18-200mm lens.

So, for the folks who know the answers to these kinds of things, am I better off upgrading from the D50 to the D90, or spending that money on lenses? I currently have the 18-55mm (kit lens with the D50), 28-80mm (kit lens with the N65), and the 70-300mm VR.

I'm thinking about the 18-200mm VR and also about the 50mm 1.4.

I have no complaints with my D50, but might not know what I'm missing with the D90.

Thoughts?

So, for the folks who know the answers to these kinds of things, am I better off upgrading from the D50 to the D90, or spending that money on lenses? I currently have the 18-55mm (kit lens with the D50), 28-80mm (kit lens with the N65), and the 70-300mm VR.I'm thinking about the 18-200mm VR and also about the 50mm 1.4.I have no complaints with my D50, but might not know what I'm missing with the D90.Thoughts?
Have you compared the specs? If you're happy with the D50, I don't know that there's a reason to upgrade.

So, for the folks who know the answers to these kinds of things, am I better off upgrading from the D50 to the D90, or spending that money on lenses? I currently have the 18-55mm (kit lens with the D50), 28-80mm (kit lens with the N65), and the 70-300mm VR.

I have no complaints with my D50, but might not know what I'm missing with the D90.

Thoughts?
did the D50 go by a different name? I don't even see it in the Nikon listing:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

or did you mean a Canon 50D?

So, for the folks who know the answers to these kinds of things, am I better off upgrading from the D50 to the D90, or spending that money on lenses? I currently have the 18-55mm (kit lens with the D50), 28-80mm (kit lens with the N65), and the 70-300mm VR.I'm thinking about the 18-200mm VR and also about the 50mm 1.4.I have no complaints with my D50, but might not know what I'm missing with the D90.Thoughts?
You have that focal range covered in your lense lineup alreadyI am not too sure about Nikon gear, but unless that 18-200 is a 2.8 or fixed f/4, I would keep what you have.How about something wide like a Sigma 10-20? What do you shoot primarily? That should help you decide what you should be targeting

Thoughts?
did the D50 go by a different name? I don't even see it in the Nikon listing:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

No, it's a Nikon D50, which is no longer in production. Replaced by the D40 and/or D60.Here's the specs comparison with the D90

That will be my lineup for Disney in April. I think I will also rent the Canon 10-20 for the week.
Have you done Disney with that rig before? Things are so hectic going from place to place and ride to ride, I can't imagine trying to change lenses on the fly. If you are going to rent anything, I'd suggest renting a good 18-200. That said, you're way more experienced than me, so you don't need my advice.

Thoughts?
You have that focal range covered in your lense lineup alreadyI am not too sure about Nikon gear, but unless that 18-200 is a 2.8 or fixed f/4, I would keep what you have.

How about something wide like a Sigma 10-20? What do you shoot primarily? That should help you decide what you should be targeting
Well, up until now I mostly shot outdoors...landscapes, wildlife, sports, etc. But I now have a 9-month-old little boy, so my shooting has changed a bit. Less outside, more inside...and a different kind of wildlife. :coffee:

Have you done Disney with that rig before? Things are so hectic going from place to place and ride to ride, I can't imagine trying to change lenses on the fly. If you are going to rent anything, I'd suggest renting a good 18-200. That said, you're way more experienced than me, so you don't need my advice.
I have not gone with this setup. My plan is to use the 18-55 primarily, and the 55-250 at AK for the animals. The 10-20 will be used at night to shoot the fireworks and the odd shot at the charater dinners.Looking at getting the Lowepro slingshot 200 for this trip alsoBUT...I could pass on the UWA and just go with the 2 lenses. I AM leaving my 105 Macro at home.

Thoughts?

No, it's a Nikon D50, which is no longer in production. Replaced by the D40 and/or D60.Here's the specs comparison with the D90
Besides video the biggest reasons to switch bodies are being able to shoot with high iso's & the inbody focus motor witb he d90

Thoughts?

Besides video the biggest reasons to switch bodies are being able to shoot with high iso's & the inbody focus motor witb he d90
What about the upgraded LCD? There are times I can't tell if I've gotten a really good shot until after I see it on my computer screen. Would the bigger/better LCD eliminate that problem?And what's a bigger factor when shooting in low light, the higher iso or the faster lens?

Thoughts?

What about the upgraded LCD? There are times I can't tell if I've gotten a really good shot until after I see it on my computer screen. Would the bigger/better LCD eliminate that problem?And what's a bigger factor when shooting in low light, the higher iso or the faster lens?
analog > digital so I'd say the lens 1st, the ISO 2nd. The ISO will improve the IQ of low light pictures given a particular lens' limitations.

analog > digital so I'd say the lens 1st, the ISO 2nd. The ISO will improve the IQ of low light pictures given a particular lens' limitations.
So am I understanding that I'd be better served to buy a really good low light lens or two and stick with my D50 for a while?Sorry for all the questions. I love shooting but am still learning about cameras.

Thoughts?
You have that focal range covered in your lense lineup alreadyI am not too sure about Nikon gear, but unless that 18-200 is a 2.8 or fixed f/4, I would keep what you have.

How about something wide like a Sigma 10-20? What do you shoot primarily? That should help you decide what you should be targeting
Well, up until now I mostly shot outdoors...landscapes, wildlife, sports, etc. But I now have a 9-month-old little boy, so my shooting has changed a bit. Less outside, more inside...and a different kind of wildlife. ;)
Crosseyed I have the D50 and use the Nikkor 18-200 VR as my primary lens. Outside, it's awesome. Indoors in less than optimal light situations (ie florescent light) it seems to have some trouble focusing. Mostly I take pictures of my 3 & 4 year olds. I broke the 15-55 in Mexico but I've been thinking about getting another one for those situations. I bought the 18-200 because I thought it could be my all-around lens, but I've learned it isn't perfect.

... of course, it could easily be operator error as well...

Thoughts?

Well, up until now I mostly shot outdoors...landscapes, wildlife, sports, etc. But I now have a 9-month-old little boy, so my shooting has changed a bit. Less outside, more inside...and a different kind of wildlife. ;)
Crosseyed I have the D50 and use the Nikkor 18-200 VR as my primary lens. Outside, it's awesome. Indoors in less than optimal light situations (ie florescent light) it seems to have some trouble focusing. Mostly I take pictures of my 3 & 4 year olds. I broke the 15-55 in Mexico but I've been thinking about getting another one for those situations. I bought the 18-200 because I thought it could be my all-around lens, but I've learned it isn't perfect.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 18-200. I definitely plan on getting that lens at some point. That will certainly be the lens of choice for vacations, family trips, etc. when I only want to carry 1 versatile lens.Thinking that maybe for indoor shots I need (OK, want) to get something fast. Ken Rockwell seems to like the 35mm 1.8, but others here have suggested the 50mm 1.4. Decisions, decisions.

Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 18-200. I definitely plan on getting that lens at some point. That will certainly be the lens of choice for vacations, family trips, etc. when I only want to carry 1 versatile lens.Thinking that maybe for indoor shots I need (OK, want) to get something fast. Ken Rockwell seems to like the 35mm 1.8, but others here have suggested the 50mm 1.4. Decisions, decisions.
I think I would want something wider for indoor shots. The D40 is a 1.5 crop factor, so you are really at a 75mm lens. I think I would go with something like a 28mm for indoors.

I think I would want something wider for indoor shots. The D40 is a 1.5 crop factor, so you are really at a 75mm lens. I think I would go with something like a 28mm for indoors.
Not sure if it's the same crop factor, but I actually have a D50.

CrossEyed said:
jon_mx said:
all APS-C cameras have crop factorsNikon ,Pentax & Sony are 1.5 & Canon is 1.6

CrossEyed said:
jon_mx said:
Crop Factor Explained
Here's a question regarding crop factor: Why don't the new lenses that are designed specifically for DSLR account for the crop factor? In other words, if a 35mm on a Nikon DSLR is really a 52 or 53, why not just call it that?

CrossEyed said:
jon_mx said:
Crop Factor Explained
Here's a question regarding crop factor: Why don't the new lenses that are designed specifically for DSLR account for the crop factor? In other words, if a 35mm on a Nikon DSLR is really a 52 or 53, why not just call it that?
The lenses can be used on full frame DSLRs.

Jojo the circus boy said:
OK.

D90 + 18-200 VR II

:shrug: Will probably order today and take advantage of the 6 months no interest. I need to get a bag with it

Big Bottom, what size is your bag that held the D90 and 18-200 lens.

Will probably add an extra battery and a card. Are there any types of cards that I should be looking at.

Is there anything else that is essential to buy today since I can take advantage of the financing.

CrossEyed said:
jon_mx said:
Crop Factor Explained
They probably should, but many of the lens can be used on multiple camera bodies with different crop factors. So sticking to a standard definition makes some sense. Canon has EF lenses that work on both their full frame line and their 1.6 crop factor cameras. But they also have EF-S lenses which work only on crop factor lenses. The biggest benefit of the crop factor lenses is the glass can be made smaller and thus cheaper and lighter. The biggest downfall is the sensors have to be more concentrated which tends to introduce more noise. In the long run, I think the smaller sensors win out as there is no reason to be locked in the legacy size of 35 mm film.

Parmcat said:
bigbottom said:
Parmcat said:
sho nuff said:
In 2 weeks I can give you a review of how 2 lenses did at Disney.

The 18-55 IS (Canon XSI) and the 55-250 IS.

Got the new bag loaded up.

Spare battery and "Understanding Exposure" will be here Wednesday (something to read at night in the hotel when Im not dead to the world).
I have not gone with this setup. My plan is to use the 18-55 primarily, and the 55-250 at AK for the animals. The 10-20 will be used at night to shoot the fireworks and the odd shot at the charater dinners.

Looking at getting the Lowepro slingshot 200 for this trip also

BUT...I could pass on the UWA and just go with the 2 lenses. I AM leaving my 105 Macro at home.
Bolded my thoughts on how I will use the lenses.I need to talk to my dad (coming with us) and see if he is bringing a good wide lense for the character meal shots.

Using the Tamrac bag I mentioned earlier, teh slingshot would be nice...but with a 2 year old still in diapers, I need the extra room in the bag I have :shrug: .

OK.

D90 + 18-200 VR II

:goodposting: Will probably order today and take advantage of the 6 months no interest. I need to get a bag with it

Will probably add an extra battery and a card. Are there any types of cards that I should be looking at.

Is there anything else that is essential to buy today since I can take advantage of the financing.
I just put this in my cart and it is coming up as $1294. Unreal. Thanks JoJo

OK.

D90 + 18-200 VR II

:mellow: Will probably order today and take advantage of the 6 months no interest. I need to get a bag with it

I just put this in my cart and it is coming up as $1294. Unreal. Thanks JoJo
:goodposting:

Quick question before I hit proceed to checkout

I know its a preference question but since it is so much cheaper then I thought, would you

A) Buy the 50mm 1.4 lens

OR

B) Buy a memory card and an extra battery

I already have the bag in the cart (slingshot 200)

I didn't want to haul around a big heavy bag for Disney, so I went with the LowePro Slingshot 100 (interior photo). This is not an all purpose backpack that will hold laptops, jackets, water bottles, etc. This is little more than a dedicated camera bag. It is light (which is important because the D90+18-200mm is heavy) and lightning quick to access. In the main compartment, it held my D90 with my 18-200mm lens attached, my Canon HV20 Hi-Def video camera (which is only slightly larger than a big lens), my battery charger, extra battery, extra tapes, back-up SDHC card and remote. I stored my circ pol filter in the front pocket. The top compartment, which isn't large, was used to store my sunglasses, fiber one bars, crackers, etc. There is room for up to three additional lenses if you ditch the video camera and other stuff.Again, this is not going to be a multi-purpose backpack. My wife brought along her own backpack to store jackets, a water bottle, and things we bought at the gift shops. I will likely buy a bigger backpack for more multi-purpose use. But for Disney, I think putting all that stuff into a single backpack would have been really heavy for one person, particularly after 12+ hours at a park.

Shooting in RAW on my D90, I got about 700 pictures on my 8GB SDHC card (I went with class 10 on read/write speed). I also brought a 4GB card as a back-up (with a slower read/write speed).

Quick question before I hit proceed to checkoutI know its a preference question but since it is so much cheaper then I thought, would youA) Buy the 50mm 1.4 lens ORB) Buy a memory card and an extra batteryI already have the bag in the cart (slingshot 200)
You're going to need a memory card regardless, and I think an extra battery is a must. So if you have to choose, go with B. My vote is you go with all of the above.

Did you ever consider leaviing the DSLR behind for the Disney trip? I just bought an xsi a couple months ago and will be heading to Disney this fall. I'm debating leaving it behind. My last trip to disney I took a good point and shoot and was able to get all the pics I needed. I'm debating the whether lugging my camera all over the park is worth it when I can carry a small P&S. I know it would come in handy at Animal Kingdom.

Did you ever consider leaviing the DSLR behind for the Disney trip? I just bought an xsi a couple months ago and will be heading to Disney this fall. I'm debating leaving it behind. My last trip to disney I took a good point and shoot and was able to get all the pics I needed. I'm debating the whether lugging my camera all over the park is worth it when I can carry a small P&S. I know it would come in handy at Animal Kingdom.
Im not going to carry it every day.But on certain days (for sure when we hit the Safari at Animal Kingdom) I will take the XSI.Thankfully, my dad will be there as well with his XSI and likely have it for days I don't take mine in the park.Other days I have a small P&S in my pocket for little snapshots I might want.

Quick question before I hit proceed to checkoutI know its a preference question but since it is so much cheaper then I thought, would youA) Buy the 50mm 1.4 lens ORB) Buy a memory card and an extra batteryI already have the bag in the cart (slingshot 200)
You're going to need a memory card regardless, and I think an extra battery is a must. So if you have to choose, go with B. My vote is you go with all of the above.
1) Good, fast, large memory card2a) Battery2b) PrimeIMO, the battery lasts a long freaking time (unless you are using Live View a lot or forget to turn it off when plugged into your laptop to move pics).But up to you, I'd invest in a really good memory card (forget what the good ones are), others can probably comment.The Prime is not a priority, the 18-200 will last you a long time before you feel the need for a "new toy" and the prime can be that new toy.

There is certainly an argument to be made here, particularly if you don't want to carry something heavy on your back. That said, there are trade-offs, even if you set aside the image quality of the photographs themselves (which can range from significant to downright negligible). Having spent 6 days in all four parks with scores of parents using all sorts of different cameras, I can confidently say that I can take pictures with my DSLR significantly faster than 95% of people with P&S cameras. With a DSLR you can zoom and focus in half the time of a point and shoot, and you can rip off 3-4 pictures in a second. this makes picture taking way more efficient, and you'll end up with more good shots with far less headache. If you store your camera in a backpack that you have to take off your back to access the camera, however (i.e., no side access), most or all of your efficiency gain will be eliminated.

Shooting in RAW on my D90, I got about 700 pictures on my 8GB SDHC card (I went with class 10 on read/write speed). I also brought a 4GB card as a back-up (with a slower read/write speed).
What does shooting in Raw mean
RAW image formatRAW files for Nikon DSLRs are .nef files. You'll need to download Picassa (free) or use Photoshop or something similar to view the files. They are about 10-11MB each in size.

RAW image formatRAW files for Nikon DSLRs are .nef files. You'll need to download Picassa (free) or use Photoshop or something similar to view the files. They are about 10-11MB each in size.
In general, what are the pros/cons for shooting in RAW?

In general, what are the pros/cons for shooting in RAW?
The link provides a decent overview of the generally discussed pros and cons.

Users who are viewing this thread