What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DSLR Camera Guys (2 Viewers)

Bit the bullet and bought the XSi today. It's being shipped as we speak and I can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting!

Next up will likely be an external flash I think. Most likely that'll be the 430EX II as I don't think the 580EX II provides any additional benefits I'd need at this point.

Bit the bullet and bought the XSi today. It's being shipped as we speak and I can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting!Next up will likely be an external flash I think. Most likely that'll be the 430EX II as I don't think the 580EX II provides any additional benefits I'd need at this point.
can I ask for a link. really want the D90 but it may look like the XSi is more bang for the buck

Bit the bullet and bought the XSi today. It's being shipped as we speak and I can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting!Next up will likely be an external flash I think. Most likely that'll be the 430EX II as I don't think the 580EX II provides any additional benefits I'd need at this point.
can I ask for a link. really want the D90 but it may look like the XSi is more bang for the buck
I'm surprised you're torn between these 2 because they are 2 different classes. You could buy 2 xsi's for the price of 1 d90when I was shopping I looked at the xsi & the d5000

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised you're torn between these 2 because they are 2 different classes. You could buy 2 xsi's for the price of 1 d90when I was shopping I looked at the xsi & the d5000
I am only going by what has been talked about in this thread. The D90 seems to be a little better of a camera when I look at pictures that each has taken. But like you said, it is expensive especially when adding the 18-200 lens that BB talks about.

If you are torn between the XSi and the d90, better go with the XSi which is probably much more user friendly for non-experts.

Bit the bullet and bought the XSi today. It's being shipped as we speak and I can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting!

Next up will likely be an external flash I think. Most likely that'll be the 430EX II as I don't think the 580EX II provides any additional benefits I'd need at this point.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera...6/dp/B0012YA85A$559.00 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera...6/dp/B0012YA85A$559.00 with free shipping
Thanks

........but check out Adorama...lots of package deals on there...
....and check out the customer feedback and ratings of any retailer that hasn't been personally recommended to you, at resellerratings.com - before you part with your cc details!
Do you work for adorama
I do - see my sig!
Want to hook me up with a discount
Best places to look are:boddit.comoffersrus.comdealighted.comfatwallet.comslickdeals.comdealhack.combensbargains.net

....and check out the customer feedback and ratings of any retailer that hasn't been personally recommended to you, at resellerratings.com - before you part with your cc details!
Do you work for adorama
I do - see my sig!
Thanks. Serious question thoughIs the Nikon D90 a superior camera to the Cannon Xsi. What if I saved the money by buying the XSI and buying an 18-200 lensEveryone in this thread has given great advice, but I want to know what someone in the business thinks

Is the Nikon D90 a superior camera to the Cannon Xsi. What if I saved the money by buying the XSI and buying an 18-200 lensEveryone in this thread has given great advice, but I want to know what someone in the business thinks
Not a professional...but this was my thinking and why I chose to XSI when I did rather than waiting a little bit and getting the D90.Figured I could get the XSi then (last December) then get the 18-200 this Christmas.Had I bought the D90, I likely would not be getting the 18-200 for a bit (plus bought a package with the XSi and got the 55-250 lense at the same time...so I may not get the 18-200 right away this year and get a flash and some other things first as I put together what all I want).Not the typical FBG with $$$ so got to build slowly. The XSI and lense package was enough to already make my wife roll her eyes at me (and became my Christmas and Birthday present).

Is the Nikon D90 a superior camera to the Cannon Xsi.

What if I saved the money by buying the XSI and buying an 18-200 lens

Everyone in this thread has given great advice, but I want to know what someone in the business thinks
Not a professional...but this was my thinking and why I chose to XSI when I did rather than waiting a little bit and getting the D90.Figured I could get the XSi then (last December) then get the 18-200 this Christmas.

Had I bought the D90, I likely would not be getting the 18-200 for a bit (plus bought a package with the XSi and got the 55-250 lense at the same time...so I may not get the 18-200 right away this year and get a flash and some other things first as I put together what all I want).

Not the typical FBG with $$$ so got to build slowly. The XSI and lense package was enough to already make my wife roll her eyes at me (and became my Christmas and Birthday present).
First of all, nothing wrong with thatI know you did a ton of research already so let me ask you this

If you had the money to purchase whatever you wanted (within the constraints of this thread), which would you go with.

Also, what do you think is better, having the Cannon with a few different lenses OR getting the Nikon with just the 18-200 lens

Everyone in this thread has given great advice, but I want to know what someone in the business thinks
Not a professional...but this was my thinking and why I chose to XSI when I did rather than waiting a little bit and getting the D90.Figured I could get the XSi then (last December) then get the 18-200 this Christmas.

Had I bought the D90, I likely would not be getting the 18-200 for a bit (plus bought a package with the XSi and got the 55-250 lense at the same time...so I may not get the 18-200 right away this year and get a flash and some other things first as I put together what all I want).

Not the typical FBG with $$$ so got to build slowly. The XSI and lense package was enough to already make my wife roll her eyes at me (and became my Christmas and Birthday present).
First of all, nothing wrong with thatI know you did a ton of research already so let me ask you this

If you had the money to purchase whatever you wanted (within the constraints of this thread), which would you go with.

Also, what do you think is better, having the Cannon with a few different lenses OR getting the Nikon with just the 18-200 lens
If I could have any...I would have likely chosen the D90 and the 18-200. That lense will get you by for quite a while IMO. Then you can save up for a bigger lense for things if you like.For me though...I like the XSI and slowly building up with filters and flashes and bags and have been happy with the 2 lenses I have so far. Just for less money.

But without money being an issue...the D90 is a superior camera.

Thanks.

Serious question though

That's a good deal on the XSi. Here is a summary comparison from cameralabs.com:Nikon D90 review - comparison to Canon Rebel XSi

Canon’s EOS 450D / Rebel XSi is priced comfortably below the D90, but like the 400D / XTi and D80 before them, many will compare the two models. Canon has certainly learnt from that previous battle where Nikon equipped the D80 with better features for only a little extra money, and managed to up-sell many new buyers from its arch rival. Canon adopted a similar strategy with the 450D / XSi, fitting it with a number of enhancements over cheaper models, but half a year on, Nikon has once again trumped its arch rival in many respects.

The D90 and 450D / XSi may share roughly the same resolution and both offer Live View facilities, but the D90 has a much higher maximum sensitivity of 6400 ISO to the Canon’s 1600 ISO and quicker 4.5fps continuous shooting to the 450D / XSi’s 3.5fps. Both screens measure 3in, but the D90’s has double the pixels in each axis, delivering far more detailed playback, live view and menu fonts. The D90 also offers video recording, a bigger viewfinder with on-demand grid lines, HDMI output and direct connectivity to an optional GPS accessory.

The Canon does have a few advantages of its own though. It offers 14-bit processing and RAW files, comes supplied with more capable RAW processing software along with remote control capabilities for PCs and Macs. Live View on the Canon also has a Live Histogram and smoother refresh rate. All are nice to have, but the D90 is better-featured overall – so once again if you value the extra features of the Nikon, it could be worth spending the extra. But in terms of image quality, there's not much in it. See our Canon EOS 450D / XSi review for more details.

Thanks.

Serious question though

That's a good deal on the XSi. Here is a summary comparison from cameralabs.com:Nikon D90 review - comparison to Canon Rebel XSi

Canon’s EOS 450D / Rebel XSi is priced comfortably below the D90, but like the 400D / XTi and D80 before them, many will compare the two models. Canon has certainly learnt from that previous battle where Nikon equipped the D80 with better features for only a little extra money, and managed to up-sell many new buyers from its arch rival. Canon adopted a similar strategy with the 450D / XSi, fitting it with a number of enhancements over cheaper models, but half a year on, Nikon has once again trumped its arch rival in many respects.

The D90 and 450D / XSi may share roughly the same resolution and both offer Live View facilities, but the D90 has a much higher maximum sensitivity of 6400 ISO to the Canon’s 1600 ISO and quicker 4.5fps continuous shooting to the 450D / XSi’s 3.5fps. Both screens measure 3in, but the D90’s has double the pixels in each axis, delivering far more detailed playback, live view and menu fonts. The D90 also offers video recording, a bigger viewfinder with on-demand grid lines, HDMI output and direct connectivity to an optional GPS accessory.

The Canon does have a few advantages of its own though. It offers 14-bit processing and RAW files, comes supplied with more capable RAW processing software along with remote control capabilities for PCs and Macs. Live View on the Canon also has a Live Histogram and smoother refresh rate. All are nice to have, but the D90 is better-featured overall – so once again if you value the extra features of the Nikon, it could be worth spending the extra. But in terms of image quality, there's not much in it. See our Canon EOS 450D / XSi review for more details.
Thanks Big Bottom. You have been tremendously helpful.Not sure what I want to do right now. The money is a factor, but only a small one. I think the bigger thing for me, is that I dont know enough. I think I will take my time, research some more and make a more informed decision instead of buying quickly. (I get my head around something sometimes and there is no stopping me. Obsessive compulsive a bit)

Would any of you recommend taking a photography course at a Community College, or just jump in an get a feel for it.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Ive jumped in first to get a feel for it...will get a week long "class" at Disney in 2 weeks with my father who has been doing amateur photography for years and also has an XSI like I do.

Then probably take a course or class sometime in the summer or so. I want to do more with it and think it would help.

Just picked up the book mentioned in here "Understanding Exposure" but have not started reading it yet (still finishing up the Bird/Magic book).

Do you work for adorama
I do - see my sig!
Thanks. Serious question thoughIs the Nikon D90 a superior camera to the Cannon Xsi. What if I saved the money by buying the XSI and buying an 18-200 lensEveryone in this thread has given great advice, but I want to know what someone in the business thinks
The big difference, is that the D90 has video - so that has to be a determining factor!

Got my Tamrac bag today.

Holy crap is this thing huge.

So much room for anything I have and so many things I don't yet have.

Kind of looks funny with just my camera, uv filter, and 2 lenses in there.

But will be nice to not have to have another big bag for the kids at disney.

Very well padded and a 15.4" laptop fits perfectly in there (though, wow is it heavy with that in there).

Very happy with the construction of this bag.

Found it as an open box item on Amazon for $100 with next day shipping.

Got my Tamrac bag today.Holy crap is this thing huge.So much room for anything I have and so many things I don't yet have.Kind of looks funny with just my camera, uv filter, and 2 lenses in there.But will be nice to not have to have another big bag for the kids at disney.Very well padded and a 15.4" laptop fits perfectly in there (though, wow is it heavy with that in there).Very happy with the construction of this bag. Found it as an open box item on Amazon for $100 with next day shipping.
Nice! I may look into picking up one of those.Also, do you have a video camera? Since you have extra room, bring that with you to Disney as well if it's not too heavy. I used mine (a Canon HV20) for a couple of things, including the Jedi Training Academy.Speaking of the Jedi Training Academy, as you probably already know, after the kids go through their training with the Jedi Master, Darth Vader comes out with a couple Storm Troopers. each of the kids then face off against Vader in a (simple and pre-choreographed) light saber duel. Well, after my seven-year-old battled Vader, he was so excited that he ran straight into the two Storm Troopers who then drew their guns on him. The Jedi Master yelled for him to use the force. The little guy threw out his hand to use the force and the Storm Troopers went flying backwards. The audience was rolling. I'm so thankful I got that on film. We crack up every time we watch it.

The big difference, is that the D90 has video - so that has to be a determining factor!
I've heard that you really don't want to rely on the D90 for quality video.
Really? I haven't tried it on mine yet (at Disney I had my HD video camera with me), but I would think the video quality would be decent since you're shooting through better glass than iPods, compact cameras, and even some video cameras. Of course, it's not designed to serve as a video camera, so it wouldn't, and shouldn't, be your primary video device. But I imagine it's nice to have that capability if you happen to be somewhere with your camera and the need to capture a moment on video arises.Edit: Never mind. Just saw that it doesn't auto focus in video mode, so if something moves, you've got to focus it yourself. That would be a real pain.

bigbottom said:
sho nuff said:
Got my Tamrac bag today.Holy crap is this thing huge.So much room for anything I have and so many things I don't yet have.Kind of looks funny with just my camera, uv filter, and 2 lenses in there.But will be nice to not have to have another big bag for the kids at disney.Very well padded and a 15.4" laptop fits perfectly in there (though, wow is it heavy with that in there).Very happy with the construction of this bag. Found it as an open box item on Amazon for $100 with next day shipping.
Nice! I may look into picking up one of those.Also, do you have a video camera? Since you have extra room, bring that with you to Disney as well if it's not too heavy. I used mine (a Canon HV20) for a couple of things, including the Jedi Training Academy.Speaking of the Jedi Training Academy, as you probably already know, after the kids go through their training with the Jedi Master, Darth Vader comes out with a couple Storm Troopers. each of the kids then face off against Vader in a (simple and pre-choreographed) light saber duel. Well, after my seven-year-old battled Vader, he was so excited that he ran straight into the two Storm Troopers who then drew their guns on him. The Jedi Master yelled for him to use the force. The little guy threw out his hand to use the force and the Storm Troopers went flying backwards. The audience was rolling. I'm so thankful I got that on film. We crack up every time we watch it.
Oh I do...but its small (fits in my pocket).Sanyo 1080p hi def camera and 10 mp still camera with flash. Works great and small enough for my pocket. But it will be in the bag too.I love all the room to expand as I get more stuff. For not, it will likely be full of zip lock bags with snacks for the kids in there.

Helen Oster Adorama Camera said:
Interesting. I do not think I need the video factor. Maybe the smarter thing to do is get the cheaper one to start out withCan you put a Nikkor lens on a Cannon camera? The Nikkor has the Vibration reduction. I have only seen Nikkor lenses go with Nikkon cameras

Interesting. I do not think I need the video factor. Maybe the smarter thing to do is get the cheaper one to start out withCan you put a Nikkor lens on a Cannon camera? The Nikkor has the Vibration reduction. I have only seen Nikkor lenses go with Nikkon cameras
lenses are not compatible, I think Canon has similar features with theirs, just named differently IS maybe?

Is there a photography thread on this board. If anyone has a link that would be great. If there is not, someone should make one

Do you work for adorama
I do - see my sig!
Keep in mind when reading this that I am a Canon user.The Nikon D90 is superior to the XSi. The D90 is much closer to the Canon 50D.The D90 has better user controls and better ISO performance.You are comparing 2 very different cameras.

bigbottom said:
CrossEyed said:
I've heard that you really don't want to rely on the D90 for quality video.
Really? I haven't tried it on mine yet (at Disney I had my HD video camera with me), but I would think the video quality would be decent since you're shooting through better glass than iPods, compact cameras, and even some video cameras. Of course, it's not designed to serve as a video camera, so it wouldn't, and shouldn't, be your primary video device. But I imagine it's nice to have that capability if you happen to be somewhere with your camera and the need to capture a moment on video arises.Edit: Never mind. Just saw that it doesn't auto focus in video mode, so if something moves, you've got to focus it yourself. That would be a real pain.
Strongly considered the D90 due to the video capability, until I learned it did not auto focus. Seems like it would be impossible to use without auto focus. (Ended up with the Canon D50.)

going to pick these two up for my D90:

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D
:drool:I am dying to get one of these, but have told myself that I need to dedicate some effort to actually learning basic photography before doing so. Please let me know how you like shooting with it and post links to some results if you can.
This is where I get confused a bit. Why do you need this if you already have an 18-200 lens. Cant you just zoom to 50mm and get the same effect.

This is why we need a photography thread

(BB- Did you get my PM)

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D
:drool:I am dying to get one of these, but have told myself that I need to dedicate some effort to actually learning basic photography before doing so. Please let me know how you like shooting with it and post links to some results if you can.
This is where I get confused a bit. Why do you need this if you already have an 18-200 lens. Cant you just zoom to 50mm and get the same effect.

(BB- Did you get my PM)
1) It's a prime lens and is "optimized" for 50mm2) The 18mm - 200mm has a smaller aperture: f/3.5-5.6 compared to the f/1.4 which is wider and better for low light photography

You will typically find the larger aperture lens on the smaller focal points, the longer the lens the smaller the aperture, pickup the book Understanding Exposure and it will help understand the basic concepts better.

from wiki:

A prime lens of a given focal length is less versatile than a zoom whose range includes that focal length, but is often of superior optical quality, lighter weight, smaller bulk and lower cost. In comparison with a zoom lens, a prime lens has fewer moving parts and optimization for one particular focal length. With a less complicated lens formula they suffer from fewer problems related to chromatic aberration.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D

(BB- Did you get my PM)
1) It's a prime lens and is "optimized" for 50mm2) The 18mm - 200mm has a smaller aperture: f/3.5-5.6 compared to the f/1.4 which is wider and better for low light photography

You will typically find the larger aperture lens on the smaller focal points, the longer the lens the smaller the aperture, pickup the book Understanding Exposure and it will help understand the basic concepts better.

from wiki:

A prime lens of a given focal length is less versatile than a zoom whose range includes that focal length, but is often of superior optical quality, lighter weight, smaller bulk and lower cost. In comparison with a zoom lens, a prime lens has fewer moving parts and optimization for one particular focal length. With a less complicated lens formula they suffer from fewer problems related to chromatic aberration.
The 1.4 aperture allows for faster shutter speeds than the 3.5 and also provides a blurry background.That lens will also be sharper than the zoom at the same focal length.

In general, as the zoom ratio increases (200/18=11), the photo quality decreases. That is why people get 2 lenses (17-55 and 70-200 in my case) to cover the same focal range. The inconvenience of switching lenses is made up for in image quality.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D

(BB- Did you get my PM)
The difference in picture quality is enormous. When you have a camera that has a 10x zoom lens, there is trade-off for convenience and quality. The fixed lens tend to be sharper and faster and contain less distortion. The f/1.4 means it is a lot faster to catch action pictures or images in low light situations.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D

(BB- Did you get my PM)
The 50mm 1.4 lens is faster. It's also better in low light. Trust me, once you get a camera (and I recommend the Nikon), you'll be wanting to experiment - if funds allow, you'll add a lens a year.The 18-200 is a fantastic lens, but it's not the fastest lens out there, nor is it the best in low light. In addition, other lenses do the blurred background better, etc. But, the 18-200 is the lens when it comes to an all-purpose walking around "I'm on vacation and don't want to change lenses all day" lens. I love mine. But I also have a 70-300 for more zoom power, and I just got the 50mm 1.4, which I love.

I have a D80, which the D90 replaced. The D80 has a little LCD screen on top that is astonishingly helpful (displays all kinds of info). I'm pretty sure the D90 does too - that little screen, to me, is worth the few extra hundred.

You'll have this camera for years. Buy the best one you can reasonably afford. If that's the Canon, nothing wrong with that. But if you can afford the D90, get that one.

So is the 50mm the recommended prime lens, for the most part? So far I only have zoom lenses. Would this be the fixed lens I'd want to start with for taking pictures (primarily) of my little boy?

I would think the XSi level camera would be more friendly to a new user and once you mastered that moving up to a more professional level camera like the D90. The downside being, the XSi lenses will not even work with canon's full frame cameras and of course not Nikon's cameras. But the lenses and cameras seem to have good resale value.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D
From the first night with it. Takes a little getting used to, but I really love how this shot came out. I can't do this soft effect with my 18-200 (etc)my cat

I would think the XSi level camera would be more friendly to a new user and once you mastered that moving up to a more professional level camera like the D90. The downside being, the XSi lenses will not even work with canon's full frame cameras and of course not Nikon's cameras. But the lenses and cameras seem to have good resale value.
I don't consider a D90 a professional level camera at all.

:thumbup:I think it would be considered top-end of the entry level DSLR's - but still an entry-level DSLR.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D
From the first night with it. Takes a little getting used to, but I really love how this shot came out. I can't do this soft effect with my 18-200 (etc)my cat
Nice!

Disagree here. The D90 will have all the "automatic" modes, allowing one to just point and shoot like they would any other digital camera. It's fine for a beginner. My opinion is, if you are going to spend $500+ on a camera, just get the best one you can reasonably afford. This isn't a home gym or something where you'll need to see if you'll use it - never met anyone who didn't use their camera. Thus, it makes no sense to buy, say, a $500-$600 "starter" camera, unless that's your absolute drop dead budget.

It's not. But it is "up there" in terms of someone who doesn't shoot pictures for a living.

I am sorry that I have so many questions. All answers have been appreciated.

Why do you need software for your pictures. Isnt altering the picture thru software defeating the purpose

My wife green lighted me for the camera. Only thing I am thinking about right now is whether to get a deal on a 70-300 lens (with no interest for 12 months if paid off), or to just get the body and the 18-200 lens. I have PMed a few and they have given good feedback. Just need to decide now.

So is the 50mm the recommended prime lens, for the most part? So far I only have zoom lenses. Would this be the fixed lens I'd want to start with for taking pictures (primarily) of my little boy?
For my purposes with little kids, I use a 50mm f/1.8 in the winter time when shooting indoors. The benefit is that I can usually get clear pictures without using a flash. For example, with this lens I can get pictures with shutter speeds of 1/60 to 1/100 second. If I tried to do this with a zoom lens, I'd probably only get 1/10 or 1/15 second and the picture would be really blurry. For outdoor use, I like using the 18-200 as the kids aren't as close to me and there's enough light that I'm always getting good shutter speeds.

I went with this lens as it's the number one selling Canon lens on Amazon. I'm sure the f/1.4 version is better, but it was also $200 more and since I'm new to this, I went with the cheaper more popular one. I'm very happy with the results. Great bang for buck.

For my purposes with little kids, I use a 50mm f/1.8 in the winter time when shooting indoors. The benefit is that I can usually get clear pictures without using a flash. For example, with this lens I can get pictures with shutter speeds of 1/60 to 1/100 second. If I tried to do this with a zoom lens, I'd probably only get 1/10 or 1/15 second and the picture would be really blurry. For outdoor use, I like using the 18-200 as the kids aren't as close to me and there's enough light that I'm always getting good shutter speeds.

I went with this lens as it's the number one selling Canon lens on Amazon. I'm sure the f/1.4 version is better, but it was also $200 more and since I'm new to this, I went with the cheaper more popular one. I'm very happy with the results. Great bang for buck.
Was just looking at that lense yesterday (after getting the new bag...my first thought was to find stuff to fill it up)That lense might be my anniversary present this summer...and a flash for Christmas.

I am sorry that I have so many questions. All answers have been appreciated.

Why do you need software for your pictures. Isnt altering the picture thru software defeating the purpose

My wife green lighted me for the camera. Only thing I am thinking about right now is whether to get a deal on a 70-300 lens (with no interest for 12 months if paid off), or to just get the body and the 18-200 lens. I have PMed a few and they have given good feedback. Just need to decide now.
Kind of, but in the end, it's the result that matters. What happens if you have a great family picture but it happened to be on a cloudy day? Tweaking the saturation up will result in a better picture and no one will really care. I use Picasa for the majority of my light editing - it's free and a great organizer. I recently got Photoshop Elements 8 (OEM version for $40 - can't beat it). I use this for more advanced stuff; for instance if I want to make one part of the picture 'pop' more.

I am sorry that I have so many questions. All answers have been appreciated. Why do you need software for your pictures. Isnt altering the picture thru software defeating the purposeMy wife green lighted me for the camera. Only thing I am thinking about right now is whether to get a deal on a 70-300 lens (with no interest for 12 months if paid off), or to just get the body and the 18-200 lens. I have PMed a few and they have given good feedback. Just need to decide now.
No, virtually all professional photographers alter their pictures. You can crop them to make them the proper shape or cut out something you don't want in the picture. You can darken them or lighten them to get the right look. You can take out blemishes on faces or remove red-eye. You can combine images into one image. You can sharpen the picture or make it blurry. You can add effects. I just use a old version of paint shop pro because it is simple and I can do most things I want to, but most professionals use adobe photoshop. That is the great thing about digital photography, if something is not right with how you framed the picture or the lighting or something, you can always improve it through software. But the better your original image is, the better your final result. You can't do everything with software.

Users who are viewing this thread