What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (14 Viewers)

The value of pick 1.02 continues to drop......
I'm not getting my hopes up, setting yourself up for disappointment. Washington and Miami signing Peyton and Flynn would be a great start, but that doesn't mean someone from deeper won't be adverse to selling the farm for the pick. In the end I think we'll include our 22, and only our 22, which I don't want us to do, but if another team picking in the 10-20 range offers up 2 #1's and 2 #2's for the pick it may trump us.

If Mort is right about Manning and the Colts parting ways...that's good news for us! Well, at least it can't be bad news...
If Washington get Manning and Miami gets Flynn, the Browns might not even need to trade up for Griffin. Even if they still do, the package won't have to be as crazy as was being discussed a week or so ago.
:yes: Washington getting either one of these guys is huge for us.
Yep, wish it was the other way around because I'm pretty confident Miami is getting one of them. I'm thinking Peyton signs in Arizona and Flynn signs with Miami. If Peyton goes to Miami, I think Washington focuses on RG3 while Flynn goes elsewhere.

The value of pick 1.02 continues to drop......
I'm not getting my hopes up, setting yourself up for disappointment. Washington and Miami signing Peyton and Flynn would be a great start, but that doesn't mean someone from deeper won't be adverse to selling the farm for the pick. In the end I think we'll include our 22, and only our 22, which I don't want us to do, but if another team picking in the 10-20 range offers up 2 #1's and 2 #2's for the pick it may trump us.
:thumbup: It would be hard to match 2 #1's and 2 #2's and God knows I don't want us too. I guess if it came down to that it would depend on what the Rams really want. The one thing we can offer over teams in that range is with our pick they can still acquire an elite player at 4. I guess I'd have a hard time seeing a team give up that much. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility though. For some reason I think the Rams end up staying at 2. I think they are dangling this out there in hopes another teams is just so enamored with RG3 that they give up the farm for him. Their needs are an elite weapon at WR for Bradford or an elite LT to protect their franchise in Bradford. Personally, I don't think Blackmon is an elite WR. I like him a lot but not as much as some others. If they trade with us they can most likely still get Blackmon but they have almost no chance to get Kalil. If I were the Rams I would love to know I had the LT spot covered to 10+ years and my QB as well. Just the $0.02 of this knucklehead though. Either way, this is the most exciting offseason I can remember in years. :football:

If Mort is right about Manning and the Colts parting ways...that's good news for us! Well, at least it can't be bad news...
If Washington get Manning and Miami gets Flynn, the Browns might not even need to trade up for Griffin. Even if they still do, the package won't have to be as crazy as was being discussed a week or so ago.
While Washington needs an upgrade at QB bad, for the life of me I don't see how the "braintrust" there could try to sign Manning, or why Manning would want to even go there. He is not winning a championship with Washington before he retires. I can actually see someone like the Jets swooping in and getting Manning, since they can offer a realistic chance of getting to the SB.The other thing to keep in mind is that there are more suitors for Manning that Miami and Washington and New York. You also have teams like Seattle and Arizona...those guys are in play for Flynn too. Unfortunately for both Cleveland and Washington, I think RBGIII is going to be expensive. But, if he is a true franchise QB ala Brady, Manning, or Breese, then it's worth multiple #1's over the long haul...

While Washington needs an upgrade at QB bad, for the life of me I don't see how the "braintrust" there could try to sign Manning, or why Manning would want to even go there. He is not winning a championship with Washington before he retires. I can actually see someone like the Jets swooping in and getting Manning, since they can offer a realistic chance of getting to the SB.The other thing to keep in mind is that there are more suitors for Manning that Miami and Washington and New York. You also have teams like Seattle and Arizona...those guys are in play for Flynn too. Unfortunately for both Cleveland and Washington, I think RBGIII is going to be expensive. But, if he is a true franchise QB ala Brady, Manning, or Breese, then it's worth multiple #1's over the long haul...
Agree...just don't see him going to Washington...no offensive weapons and terrible O-line...he'd get killed there. Think it's Arizona or Miami for him. Some sites saying the Cards may pay Kolb's $7 bonus next week though so who knows. :shrug:

Agree...just don't see him going to Washington...no offensive weapons and terrible O-line...he'd get killed there. Think it's Arizona or Miami for him. Some sites saying the Cards may pay Kolb's $7 bonus next week though so who knows. :shrug:
I know people have ruled out SF for various reasons but last I checked Alex Smith still has not signed. There is also a rumor floating around that they are willing to give up their 1st for Mike Wallace. Granted that is a lot of IF's but still possible. SF would be in the SB with a healthy Manning. My money is still on Zona or Miami.

Scenario:

Browns stay put. Draft their guy with the 4th pick, then no one is left that Heckert likes with Atlanta's pick, so he trades Atlanta's pick to a team that loves one of the guys who fell..... What's a reasonable estimate of what the Browns would get in return for Atlanta's pick?

Scenario:Browns stay put. Draft their guy with the 4th pick, then no one is left that Heckert likes with Atlanta's pick, so he trades Atlanta's pick to a team that loves one of the guys who fell..... What's a reasonable estimate of what the Browns would get in return for Atlanta's pick?
I'm sure there are alot of examples of this, but something like a 2013 1st and a 2012 2nd.see: Brady Quinn 2007The other team has to look at it as if they are getting next years 1st round pick a year early...and to do that have to give up a 2nd.

Scenario:Browns stay put. Draft their guy with the 4th pick, then no one is left that Heckert likes with Atlanta's pick, so he trades Atlanta's pick to a team that loves one of the guys who fell..... What's a reasonable estimate of what the Browns would get in return for Atlanta's pick?
I'm sure there are alot of examples of this, but something like a 2013 1st and a 2012 2nd.see: Brady Quinn 2007The other team has to look at it as if they are getting next years 1st round pick a year early...and to do that have to give up a 2nd.
What did the Saints give up for Ingram?

What did the Saints give up for Ingram?
Same thing.And to get Taylor last year was only 6 spots...27 to 21...and we gave KC #70.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading up a bit I guess Washington's O-line is actually pretty decent. Much better than I thought and much better than Arizona's. Grantland guy has this as his favorites to land Manning...Washington 30%

Miami 24%

NY Jets 15%

Seattle 12%

San Francisco 8%

Arizona 5%

Kansas City 2%

Obviously Manning to Washington and Flynn to Miami is the Browns perfect scenario. Hope it plays out this way. :popcorn:

@MaryKayCabot tweets in the last 20 minutes...

GM Tom Heckert said the Browns won't pursue Peyton Manning. "prob not a direction we're going to go.''GM Tom Heckert said RT Tony Pashos underwent ankle surgery on Tuesday.GM Tom Heckert said the Browns like four QBs in this draft. After Luck, Griffin and Tannehill, he gushed about B. Weeden.GM Tom Heckert said the Browns will try to re-sign Peyton Hillis, but prob not until he becomes a FA on Tues.GM Tom Heckert re-iterted what he said after season: Browns prob won't sign a big-name free agent quarterback.GM Heckert stressed that the team "is not down on Colt McCoy. It's our job to help him out.''GM Heckert said it's his goal to "get a long-term deal'' with franchised kicker Phil Dawson.GM Heckert stressed: "We will not go crazy in free agency.''GM Heckert said there's a chance team will trade down from their No. 4 overall pick to get extra picks again.GM Heckert has recovered enough from heart surgery to attend some Pro Days, including RG3's on Mar. 21st

Peter King on Brandon Weeden...

@SI_PeterKingGlad Tom Heckert sings Brandon Weeden's praises. One smart GM told me Weeden's an opening day starter, Andy Dalton-smart w/a better arm.If you believe he's good enough to be a starting NFL quarterback, and can get him at pick 40, and think he'll last 8-10, it's good value.

PLUTO SCRIBBLES FROM TOM HECKERT'S BROWNS DRAFT BRIEFING...By Terry Pluto1. Maybe it's more pre-draft diversion, but Browns General Manager Tom Heckert made it sound as if the team is sticking with its basic plan of building mostly through the draft...and not trading away picks. Rather than discuss the possibility of trading up for someone such as Robert Griffin III, Heckert brought up the idea of trading down.2. He said there were "four quarterbacks" in the draft that he liked. He refused to name them, but as he talked about different quarterbacks, it was clear the four were Andrew Luck, Griffin, Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden.3. I asked him about Weeden, and he probably talked more about the 28-year-old from Oklahoma State than any other player discussed. Heckert said, "I like him a lot...He's 28, but he's mature...he's won a lot of games, thrown for a lot of yards...A great kid, super smart."4. That does make me wonder if perhaps Weeden would be someone they would consider at No. 22, or more likely in the second round. That's especially true since several draft experts have Tannehill moving into the top 12.5. Over and over, Heckert talked about getting "a good player" at No. 4. He praised running back Trent Richardson for his "toughness...physical running style...pass protection...we really like him."6. That said, I'd be stunned if they took the Alabama running back at No. 4.7. He seemed very open to talking contract with Jimmy Sexton, the new agent for Peyton Hillis. He's also Hillis' original agent. My guess is Hillis ends up back with the Browns, that's what the running back's interview with the PD's Mary Kay Cabot along with his returning to Sexton seem designed to do -- showing Hillis still has a sincere interest in the Browns.8. Right tackle, please, get a right tackle. Heckert announced that Tony Pashos had knee surgery this week.9. Heckert said a lot of nice things about Colt McCoy. The point seemed to be that he was not against starting next season with McCoy at quarterback. The question is if he's strongly in favor of that idea.10. While Heckert talked about not wanting to "go crazy" in free agency and seemed to indicate the Browns would not sign a major free agent quarterback, I wonder if Matt Flynn is a possibility. Peyton Manning (please, he's not coming the Browns, Heckert said as much) will be the prime target. Others may prefer a draft pick. Perhaps Flynn won't get anywhere near the money he expects, and that could open the door for the Browns. I still think they like him.

Dane Brugler ‏ @dpbruglerLove #Browns GM Heckert praising Tannehill & Weeden...whether true or not, it's direct message to STL that its not "RGIII or bust" #NFLDraftRetweeted by Doug Lesmerises

GM Tom Heckert said the Browns won't pursue Peyton Manning. "prob not a direction we're going to go.''GM Tom Heckert said RT Tony Pashos underwent ankle surgery on Tuesday.GM Tom Heckert said the Browns like four QBs in this draft. After Luck, Griffin and Tannehill, he gushed about B. Weeden.GM Tom Heckert said the Browns will try to re-sign Peyton Hillis, but prob not until he becomes a FA on Tues.GM Tom Heckert re-iterted what he said after season: Browns prob won't sign a big-name free agent quarterback.GM Heckert stressed that the team "is not down on Colt McCoy. It's our job to help him out.''GM Heckert said it's his goal to "get a long-term deal'' with franchised kicker Phil Dawson.GM Heckert stressed: "We will not go crazy in free agency.''GM Heckert said there's a chance team will trade down from their No. 4 overall pick to get extra picks again.GM Heckert has recovered enough from heart surgery to attend some Pro Days, including RG3's on Mar. 21st
Weeden? ugh.The next time I see the name Pashos the word cut needs to be next to it.I'm now fully convinced we won't offer any #1's other than the #4 for RG3. If someone else wants him they can get him.

Completely off topic, the Big Show with Rizzo,about the 2nd or 3rd bumper song back from break in the show is a Black Keys song, WHAT IS IT?!?!?!?

Driving me freakin' crazy!

My link

Report: Manning doesn’t want to play for the Redskins

Posted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2012, 2:23 PM EST

Getty Images

The Washington Post reported Wednesday that the Redskins would make an “aggressive effort” to sign free agent quarterback Peyton Manning. The feeling would have to be mutual for Manning to actually become a Redskin, of course.

According to Chris Russell of ESPN 980 Washington, it isn’t.

Russell appeared on SportsCenter Thursday and, citing multiple sources, reported that Manning doesn’t want to play in the nation’s capital and has already informed the team.

“A couple of different sources inside the organization have told me that Manning’s camp made it pretty clear to Redskins officials he doesn’t want to come here,” said Russell. “… There’s lots of reasons for that. His brother Eli, the colder weather, the whole situation down in Miami and so on and so forth. But unless that changes — and I’m taking my sources at their word — I don’t think Manning’s coming here to D.C.”

This is the first formal report that Manning doesn’t want to play for the Skins, though that reality has been commonly speculated for the past several weeks.

Russell, who hosts a popular radio show in D.C., believes the Washington fan base would prefer Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III over Manning, anyway. If Russell’s report is accurate, the fans stands a much better chance to get their wish.

Start rooting for Flynn to Washington!
:yes: especially with the Dolphins not giving any attention to Flynn. Does this say more about Manning or how little Philbin thinks of Flynn.

My link

With all focus on Peyton, Dolphins not even thinking about Flynn

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 8, 2012, 9:25 AM EST

Getty Images

The Miami Dolphins signing free agent quarterback Matt Flynn makes a ton of sense: New Dolphins coach Joe Philbin spent four years coaching Flynn in Green Bay, and Flynn has already showed in limited action that he can play well in Philbin’s offense.

But that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. In fact, Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports reports that the Dolphins have yet to express remote interest in Flynn. The reason? All of the focus in Miami is on signing Peyton Manning.

If Philbin is on board with the decision to put all the emphasis on getting Manning, and not even thinking about Flynn, that ought to be a red flag for other teams: If the coach who knows Flynn best needs a quarterback, and doesn’t want Flynn to be that quarterback, other coaches may begin to think maybe they shouldn’t want Flynn either.

Alternatively, Philbin may have no say in the matter: Like other reports, Cole’s report suggests that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is the driving force for Manning, and he’s the one telling Philbin and G.M. Jeff Ireland that they shouldn’t even be thinking about any other quarterback. But then the question becomes, why hire Philbin at all if you’re not going to give him any say about the most important offseason move the team will make?

One of the fascinating dynamics in the Manning sweepstakes is that in many of the cities where reports are surfacing about interest in acquiring Manning, it’s the owners who are reportedly behind that interest. The day that Manning signs, sponsors will be lining up to do business with the team that signs him, and the phones will be ringing off the hook in the ticket office. Owners love the thought of that.

But owners ought to be smart enough to realize that what really drives ticket sales is winning games, and the way to win is to let the football people make the right football decisions. If Flynn becomes a good starting quarterback for some other team, the Dolphins may come to regret getting starry-eyed about Manning.

Sounds like the Skins aren't interested in Flynn. :sadbanana:Colt McCoy it is!
I guess I'm not as down on McCoy as most. I don't think he's been give a fair chance. The guy managed to not be awful with an absolutely awful supporting cast. Seriously... a Swiss cheese offensive line. Horrible WRs. No running game. A converted rookie FB blocking, etc. etc.

I guess I'm not as down on McCoy as most. I don't think he's been give a fair chance. The guy managed to not be awful with an absolutely awful supporting cast. Seriously... a Swiss cheese offensive line. Horrible WRs. No running game. A converted rookie FB blocking, etc. etc.
I don't dislike him, but I'm also wary he'll be given a full chance. I'm not wild about the other QB's in this class, so I'll be back on board with the pla if they wait until day 3 to pick one up. I'm just afraid the Lamonte Family is looking for a reason to replace him and the non Manning/Flynn/RG3 QB's available aren't it.

I don't dislike him, but I'm also wary he'll be given a full chance. I'm not wild about the other QB's in this class, so I'll be back on board with the pla if they wait until day 3 to pick one up. I'm just afraid the Lamonte Family is looking for a reason to replace him and the non Manning/Flynn/RG3 QB's available aren't it.
I think the Browns can give him a chance by only upgrading a few positions on offense:WR1 - could be FA or maybe Blackmon (if they think he's worth the pick)RT - whoever said, "the next time I hear Tony Pashos's name, it better be followed by 'got cut', was correctRB - becomes a non issue if we resign HillisSure, they could probably use a TE, and a guard, but if they fill the 3 spots above they should be better.The defense is already pretty good. They could use a few upgrades as well (DE, LB, CB2), but they are in much better shape than the offense. I'd hate to give up much to get RG3, only to find out the line still sucks and he doesn't have anybody to throw to.

This is either a smart ploy, or we are in for a turrible draft
Everything is a diversion at this time of the year, but Heckert has proven that he is more than capable of working a draft and drafting quality talent.
Seriously, can the city of Cleveland please stop freaking out at every word or innuendo that comes out of Berea? WKNR had a collective heart attack when Heckert said that they "weren't going to go crazy" in free agency. Um, guys, that's what they've been saying and doing for months now? And for some reason people equate "crazy" to "signing good players". :rolleyes:They have to play the game right now. Wait until AFTER the draft. Then you can freak out all you want :excited:

Weeden? ugh.The next time I see the name Pashos the word cut needs to be next to it.I'm now fully convinced we won't offer any #1's other than the #4 for RG3. If someone else wants him they can get him.
It's March 9th. The only thing you should be fully convinced of right now is that the draft hasn't happened yet.

The key is to judge the things he does when conditions aren't that bad. When Pashos whiffs on a guy and McCoy gets nailed, sure, can't judge him for that. When Little drops one, that not on McCoy. And the entire running game is obviously not his fault.However, when Colt has time and an open receiver and just misses him, that's on him. When Colt chucks balls deep into obvious double coverage, that's on him. When he has time but panics and tucks it to run, that's on him. When he throws it into the helmet or hands of a jumping lineman who bats it down, that's on him.Now, the number of plays that other people messed up far outnumber McCoy. But, from what I saw, Colt messed up a meaningful percentage of those remaining plays plays where other people were doing the right thing.If we lost the exact same amount of games (even by the same amount of points!), but Colt wasn't making those mistakes, I'd feel a lot better about him. Right now, I don't feel so great. Seriously, I think every single game he had at least one dumb deep ball into obvious double coverage. That's a simple read that a pro should make 99% of the time.

The key is to judge the things he does when conditions aren't that bad. When Pashos whiffs on a guy and McCoy gets nailed, sure, can't judge him for that. When Little drops one, that not on McCoy. And the entire running game is obviously not his fault.However, when Colt has time and an open receiver and just misses him, that's on him. When Colt chucks balls deep into obvious double coverage, that's on him. When he has time but panics and tucks it to run, that's on him. When he throws it into the helmet or hands of a jumping lineman who bats it down, that's on him.Now, the number of plays that other people messed up far outnumber McCoy. But, from what I saw, Colt messed up a meaningful percentage of those remaining plays plays where other people were doing the right thing.If we lost the exact same amount of games (even by the same amount of points!), but Colt wasn't making those mistakes, I'd feel a lot better about him. Right now, I don't feel so great. Seriously, I think every single game he had at least one dumb deep ball into obvious double coverage. That's a simple read that a pro should make 99% of the time.
On the other hand, let's say it's the second half and you're trailing, as poor teams usually are. The situation dictates that ( ala Favre ) you take more chances and make that throw despite the fact that it's low pwrcentage.I was a McCoy apologist until the Pit game on Thursday night. NFLN showed different angles, and Colt missed some open wrs. He has some growing to do. The question is whether or not it's just something every qb has to go through or not. If so, McCoy is experiencing growing pains & you go with it. If not, it's something inherent to him and it's better to cut your losses & move on. Hopefully the people in charge are much better suited to make that judgment than you & me.

What does the Cleveland fanbase think of the development of Greg Little? I was very high on him coming out of college from a fantasy prospective, but he seems to have not done alot with a golden opportunity in his rookie year.

What does the Cleveland fanbase think of the development of Greg Little? I was very high on him coming out of college from a fantasy prospective, but he seems to have not done alot with a golden opportunity in his rookie year.
He had played one year of wide receiver his entire career and hadn't played football at all in a year and a half when he joined the Browns. I'm sure I was a broken record last year, but anyone expecting anything more than what he gave you were kidding themselves.This is the year we find out what he's really made of. With a burner opposite him I think he could be very good.

He had played one year of wide receiver his entire career and hadn't played football at all in a year and a half when he joined the Browns. I'm sure I was a broken record last year, but anyone expecting anything more than what he gave you were kidding themselves.This is the year we find out what he's really made of. With a burner opposite him I think he could be very good.
Not to mention the lack of a true offseason to prepare. I would definitely not give up yet. The kid has talent for sure. Hopefully he'll put in the work and turn that into production.

This is either a smart ploy, or we are in for a turrible draft
Everything is a diversion at this time of the year, but Heckert has proven that he is more than capable of working a draft and drafting quality talent.
Seriously, can the city of Cleveland please stop freaking out at every word or innuendo that comes out of Berea? WKNR had a collective heart attack when Heckert said that they "weren't going to go crazy" in free agency. Um, guys, that's what they've been saying and doing for months now? And for some reason people equate "crazy" to "signing good players". :rolleyes:They have to play the game right now. Wait until AFTER the draft. Then you can freak out all you want :excited:
You should have heard Booms this morning about how that presser was handled. People like that are what makes some people totally insane with their conclusions.Fast forward just a few hours to Baskin and Phelps today, totally different atmosphere regarding yesterdays happenings and the callers were sane.And I only heard about 20 minutes of each show...that's all it takes.

Completely off topic, the Big Show with Rizzo,about the 2nd or 3rd bumper song back from break in the show is a Black Keys song, WHAT IS IT?!?!?!?

Driving me freakin' crazy!
:shrug: Had to turn it off...can only take so much Goldhammer.
:goodposting:
+1
Almost made it 45 minutes today. Girlhammer is rubbing off on Rizzo...may have to give up KNR for good.
How do you turn it off on Friday's before "GRAB SOMEBODY SEXY TELL EM HEY!"? You only had another segment!I missed it today and that makes my week feel incomplete.

:goodposting: Gotta wait on Little. If his production drops this year we'll have a problem. But it won't- he'll have a good year. I don't think elite, but good.

Would have loved for him to be a Brown but no way would I be ok with giving up this.

Adam Schefter

Washington Redskins traded three first-round draft picks and a second-round pick to St. Louis for second overall pick in a trade first reported by @JayGlazer.

My link

Glazer: Rams, Redskins strike deal for No. 2 pick

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2012, 10:29 PM EST

The Dolphins had better offer Peyton Manning more money, because their Plan B has now evaporated.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Rams and the Redskins have agreed to terms on a deal that will send the second overall pick in the 2012 draft to Washington. The Redskins undoubtedly will pick quarterback Robert Griffin III. (Or, at the very worst, Andrew Luck.)

Glazer says that the team will swap first-round picks in 2012, with St. Louis taking the No. 6 pick. The Rams also get two future first-round picks and additional selections, one of which is believed to be a second-rounder.

The trade can’t be finalized until the new league year begins on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Would have loved for him to be a Brown but no way would I be ok with giving up this. Adam SchefterWashington Redskins traded three first-round draft picks and a second-round pick to St. Louis for second overall pick in a trade first reported by @JayGlazer.
agree...said it a couple weeks back...way too much to give up with so many holes to fill

Users who are viewing this thread