What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (11 Viewers)

No tag for Hillis?

link

Report: Browns won’t use franchise tag on Hillis

Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2012, 7:17 AM EST

Getty Images

Now that the Browns have worked out a new contract with linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, they won’t have to use the franchise tag to keep him on the team.

But that doesn’t mean the Browns will use the franchise tag on someone else.

The two prime candidates are running back Peyton Hillis and kicker Phil Dawson, recipient of the team’s tag in 2011. According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, however, the Browns remain disinclined to use the tag on Hillis.

Though Hillis finally got his head pointed in the right direction late in the season, his unexpected 1,177-yard performance in 2010 coupled with his appearance on the cover of the Madden game caused him to have an overly high opinion of his value. And when he didn’t get the kind of contract he thought he should get from the Browns, he started behaving a bit bizarrely. Eventually, Hillis acquired some humility, and he put together strong performances against the Cardinals and Ravens in Weeks 15 and 16.

With the franchise tender for running backs expected to be at $7.7 million for 2012, applying the tag to Hillis would potentially rekindle his ego and dust off those moon-shot monetary demands. And so the Browns will allow him to hit the open market. Once he sees what his value is (and via the pre-free agency negotiations that inevitably occur, he possibly already has), Hillis could be in position to work out a long-term deal that would have an annual value far less than $7.7 million.

The risk for the Browns is that someone else could offer Hillis more than the Browns will pay. As Peter King explained during one of the various editions of Football Night in America last season, former Browns coach Eric Mangini will tell anyone who asks that Hillis is a great kid and a great player and would be a great addition to the team.

The Browns nevertheless should maintain an attitude of nonchalance. Hillis plays the most fungible position in football that doesn’t involve long-snapping, kicking, holding for kicks, or punting. The Browns will find someone else who can move the chains and compile yards and score touchdowns and strike a chord with the fan base and infatuate fantasy owners and maybe even end up on the cover of Madden.
Seems about right. Zurella is reporting this morning they are working on a 3yr deal with Hillis. Lots of incentives, something like 3yr/10m.
This would be great news. Don't create another hole to fill, but don't overpay either.

I'm on board with trading up for RGIII as long as they spend a little more in FA. Think they'll go after Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Stevie Johnson or Mario Manningham.RGIII, Hillis (& Hardesty), Little and one of those WRs is a nice young foundation of talent.Add some other FAs and draft choices based on need (OL, DE, CB, OLB) and I'll be very happy looking forward for once.
I am ok with this too, but I do have reservations about getting a free agent WR. It just seems that free agent WRs rarely turn into WR1s on their new team.

something else to consider here is I keep hearing that the Rams would most likely not want both 1st's this year....They would want the 1.4 and next years first since chances are it is going to be lower than the 1.22.

normally I don't like to listen to John Clayton, but he brought up a great point today on Mike and Mike. He thinks a deal will get done in the next couple days. The value of the 1.2 is at it's highest prior to FA starting. If Washington gets Flynn or Manning the possible trading partners changes drastically. Miami or Seattle don't have nearly the firepower that we do not to mention how far down it would put the Rams. This could potentially make for an interesting couple days for us.

Rumored offer by the Skins to the Rams

My link

Robert Griffin III is making a winner out of the St. Louis Rams -- Terry Pluto column

Published: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 2:34 PM Updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 2:34 PM

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III impressed the throng at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis.

How much would you be willing to pay for Robert Griffin III?

Please don't start up about the NFL draft chart.

Some media members and fans act as if the system of assigning certain points to draft positions compiled by former Dallas coach Jimmy Johnson came down from the NFL's holy hill written on a stone tablet.

Guess again.

If you're the St. Louis Rams, you know the following:

1. The Browns are one of at least four quarterback-desperate teams who are very interested in Griffin.

2. No player has ever made more friends or positively influenced more people in the history of the NFL Combine than Griffin. At least, that's how the media has framed it. The hype has been so outrageous, it seems he can skip playing and just head straight to Canton for the enshrinement ceremony. None of that is Griffin's fault, it's NFL's publicity machine. And if you're the Rams, you love it.

3. You have a quarterback in Sam Bradford, so you don't need Griffin.

4. The NFL draft chart is based on a fallacy -- that all drafts are created equal. They're are not. When was the last time two quarterbacks at the top of the draft were as highly valued as Andrew Luck and Griffin?

Some fans are playing the chart game. The Rams No. 2 pick is worth 2,600 points, therefore the Browns can trade<strong> </strong>their No. 4 pick (1,800 points), their No. 22 pick (780 points) and a sixth rounder (20 points).

Yes, it equal 2,600 points.

But if I'm the Rams, my comment is this: "Jimmy Johnson and his draft chart doesn't run my team."

There are reports that Washington has offered three picks this season -- Numbers 6, 39 and 70 -- plus a first rounder next season.

So it appears the Browns will have to offer both of their first-rounders this season ... and a first rounder next year ... to even get into the serious bidding.

And it may go higher.

Who can forget how New Orleans' Mike Dikta offered his entire 1999 draft for the rights to Ricky Williams.

In retrospect, the Browns should have taken that offer instead of picking Tim Couch. No matter how you feel about Couch, he was put in a horrible position of being with an expansion team void of talent and cursed by awful drafting.

A few fans have emailed about how quarterbacks winning the Heisman Trophy rarely become stars -- that Roger Staubach was the only one to make the Hall of Fame. But Cam Newton won it in 2010 ... Bradford in 2008 ... Tim Tebow in 2007.

Yes, other winners were Troy Smith, Matt Leinhart, Charlie Ward and Jason White who couldn't make it in the NFL. But Carson Palmer also won it. While not a Hall of Famer, he has been a very good pro quarterback.

The Heisman curse should have no impact on how the Browns decide to bid on Griffin.

Just know the price for the Browns appears to be at least three first-rounders over the next two years.

Former Browns general manager Ernie Acorsi has said if you are convinced you can deal for a franchise quarterback, open the vault.

In 2004, he targeted Eli Manning -- the No. 1 pick in the draft. Acorsi's Giants traded the No. 4 pick (Philip Rivers) and a third-rounder in 2004. He also gave up a first-rounder (No. 12) and fifth rounder in 2005.

To obtain Bernie Kosar, the Browns traded their first rounders in 1985 and 1986, along with third and sixth round picks.

Both trades worked out well, because Manning and Kosar revived their respective franchises.

The biggest decision for the Browns will be how much to pay for Griffin.

The pressure from the fans and media will be enormous, because so many people seem so certain that Griffin is a sure star at quarterback. If the Browns feel the same, they must be bold in dealing for him. But if they have doubts, they must count the cost because the price could be one of the highest in NFL history.

This is the kind of decision that Mike Holmgren was paid to make when he was hired by owner Randy Lerner, because what he does with Griffin may determine the future of the Browns for the next 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
CBSsports.com reported on Saturday that at least three teams are seriously considering deals to move up to No. 2: Washington (No. 6), Miami (No. 8) and Seattle (No. 12). It said the Browns (with the fourth and 22nd picks in the first round) are interested in trading up, but not as much as the other teams, and that the Redskins are the front-runners.

Howard Eskin of WIP Radio Philadelphia reported Sunday that Redskins sources told him they're prepared to offer their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year and at least a 1st next year.
Too much. Hope the Browns don't do something like this.
:goodposting:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns and middle linebacker D'Qwell Jackson have agreed to terms on a long-term contract.

A source told The Plain Dealer the contract was for five years and $42.5 million. It includes $19 million in guarantees and bonuses.

Jackson's representatives and the Browns had a positive meeting at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis over the weekend and were able to finalize the deal.

After missing almost two full seasons with separate pectoral muscle injuries, Jackson returned to anchor the defense last season. He played in all 16 games last season, leading the AFC and finishing second in the NFL in tackles with 158.
link :thumbup:
Agreed.

God, the Redskins are such idiots. I like RG3 a lot, but giving up almost 2 drafts worth of picks for one guy... moronic.

I'd give up the 4, 22, and throw in a 5th or 6th easily. More than that though, no way. Wait next year for Barkley.

God, the Redskins are such idiots. I like RG3 a lot, but giving up almost 2 drafts worth of picks for one guy... moronic.I'd give up the 4, 22, and throw in a 5th or 6th easily. More than that though, no way. Wait next year for Barkley.
I hear this a lot, but what if the Browns are in say the 5th spot next year? They aren't going to get Barkley unless they trade a whole bunch of draft picks to move up.

Since the Rams are looking for a king's ransom to move up to number 2, what would it take to move up to number 1 and get Luck?

What about a 3 way deal where the Browns end up at 1, Colts at 2 and Rams at 4?

Browns get: #1

Colts get: #2, 2013 1st rounder of Browns

Rams get: #4, #22, 4th round pick of Browns

I am 100% against going after our top WR in free agency. It’s a strategy proven to fail for losing teams. The free agent WR route is the last piece of the puzzle a team goes after, not when rebuilding.
Recent examples?
Housh, Sid Rice, TO, Javon Walker, Stallworth, Burleson...off the top of my head.Free agent WR's that go to bad teams are looking for a paycheck, not to win. Free agent WR's that want to win go to good teams.

Why does Hillis have to wait 5 days before hiring a new agent?Greg Rosenthal (NBC) has this take:

Hillis likely keeps changing agents because he wants more money than the agents think he’s worth.
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/29/peyton-hillis-cant-stop-changing-agents/

I am 100% against going after our top WR in free agency. It’s a strategy proven to fail for losing teams. The free agent WR route is the last piece of the puzzle a team goes after, not when rebuilding.We must leave this draft with either Blackmon, Wright, or Floyd.
I think we could fill all the holes in two years (or one awesome year)! Re-sign Hillis, add 1-2 OL, one burner WR, one DE, and a DB. A tall order for one off-season, but not impossible.

Why does Hillis have to wait 5 days before hiring a new agent?Greg Rosenthal (NBC) has this take:

Hillis likely keeps changing agents because he wants more money than the agents think he’s worth.
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/29/peyton-hillis-cant-stop-changing-agents/
Maybe he realizes that his agent jeopardized a great opportunity in Cleveland. His agent convinced him not to play in the game this year with strep throat. It seemed like his agent could have been the source of his change of attitude from 2010 to 2011. Maybe this is a sign that he wants to stay in Cleveland and wants a fresh start. Wishful thinking for a Browns fan in Arkansas?

I am 100% against going after our top WR in free agency. It’s a strategy proven to fail for losing teams. The free agent WR route is the last piece of the puzzle a team goes after, not when rebuilding.We must leave this draft with either Blackmon, Wright, or Floyd.
I think we could fill all the holes in two years (or one awesome year)! Re-sign Hillis, add 1-2 OL, one burner WR, one DE, and a DB. A tall order for one off-season, but not impossible.
HillisClaiborne (or Minnifield)K Wright (or Blackmon)GaitherMassie (if he doesn't pan out and Gaither's back remains an issue make RT a priority in 2014 draft)MinceyDoug Martin, Lamar Miller, or LaMichael JamesSound good?

HillisClaiborne (or Minnifield)K Wright (or Blackmon)GaitherMassie (if he doesn't pan out and Gaither's back remains an issue make RT a priority in 2014 draft)MinceyDoug Martin, Lamar Miller, or LaMichael JamesSound good?
Yes.

Hillis is gone. The Browns are offering him a "show me" contract but he obviously thinks he is worth more. Some team will overpay for him for sure.

The question is, who do we get to replace him? If we pass on RG3, Richardson is an option, but I don't see Heckert picking an RB that early. I also don't see us picking a later round RB and expecting him to be the feature back (we already have Hardesty). So that would leave free agency... but which of the big name FA RBs is not going to resign with their team? I suppose Michael Bush could be an option?

Worst case would be staying pat with Hardesty and Jackson... yikes.

Hillis is gone. The Browns are offering him a "show me" contract but he obviously thinks he is worth more. Some team will overpay for him for sure.The question is, who do we get to replace him? If we pass on RG3, Richardson is an option, but I don't see Heckert picking an RB that early. I also don't see us picking a later round RB and expecting him to be the feature back (we already have Hardesty). So that would leave free agency... but which of the big name FA RBs is not going to resign with their team? I suppose Michael Bush could be an option?Worst case would be staying pat with Hardesty and Jackson... yikes.
Doug Martin or Lamar Miller early round 2.And I don't think Hillis is going to get overpaid by someone else.

My link

Heckert: Browns want Hillis, but it will come down to the money

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2012, 8:23 AM EST

AP

The Cleveland Browns are ready to let running back Peyton Hillis test free agency and won’t use the franchise tag to keep him, but that doesn’t mean they don’t want him back.

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert told ESPN’s Josina Anderson that despite widespread reports during the 2011 season that Hillis was unhappy in Cleveland and the team was equally unhappy with him, the Browns would gladly bring Hillis back.

But Heckert, who is continuing to work as he recovers from bypass surgery, hastened to add that they’ll only bring him back at the right price.

“If we can work something out with Peyton we will,” Heckert said. “Did he have some rough patches during the season? Yes. Were there stretches where things were blown out of proportion? Yes. Honestly, I feel like a lot of that was blown up in the media. Now, of course things will still come down to the money, but we’ll just have to wait and see.”

The big question about Hillis is what kind of contract will satisfy him, and what kind of contract a team will be willing to offer him. Hillis repeatedly changing agents suggests that he’s eager to get a big deal and impatient with his inability to get one, but the reality in the NFL right now is that teams are very cautious about giving big money to running backs. Especially running backs coming off seasons in which they gained just 587 yards on a career-low 3.6 yards a carry.

Ultimately, it will come down to the money no matter where Hillis goes. And it may be significantly less money than Hillis wants.

Hillis is gone. The Browns are offering him a "show me" contract but he obviously thinks he is worth more. Some team will overpay for him for sure.The question is, who do we get to replace him? If we pass on RG3, Richardson is an option, but I don't see Heckert picking an RB that early. I also don't see us picking a later round RB and expecting him to be the feature back (we already have Hardesty). So that would leave free agency... but which of the big name FA RBs is not going to resign with their team? I suppose Michael Bush could be an option?Worst case would be staying pat with Hardesty and Jackson... yikes.
Doug Martin or Lamar Miller early round 2.And I don't think Hillis is going to get overpaid by someone else.
I'd be thrilled with either one of those guys. If Richardson is 1 then these two are 2a and 2b IMO

Ok so there is one WR I would not mind seeing us go after.

My link

Steelers won’t use franchise tag on Mike Wallace

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2012, 10:27 AM EST

AP

Last week Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert said the team is committed to keeping soon-to-be free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, and the franchise tag was still an option. But now that teams are free to use the franchise tag, the Steelers have reportedly decided against it.

Instead, the Steelers will use the first-round restricted free agent tender, not the franchise tag, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

It’s easy to see why the Steelers wouldn’t use the franchise tag: They’re cap-strapped as it is, and the franchise tag costs about $9.4 million. The first-round restricted free agent tender only costs about $2.7 million.

But it’s also easy to see why this makes it more likely that Wallace could leave: A team that signs him away will only have to give the Steelers one first-round pick, whereas if they had used the franchise tender the Steelers would have received two first-round picks from a team that signed him.

And so we’ll soon see whether some team thinks it’s worth spending a first-round draft choice and a lot of money on one of the best deep threats in the league. And if some team does, we’ll see whether the Steelers decide that they simply can’t afford a big contract for Wallace, and that they’ll be content with an extra first-round pick.

'Godsbrother said:
'nxmehta said:
Mike Wallace would cost a fortune but wow is that guy good.
I don't see the Browns surrendering the 4th overall pick for Wallace.
Me either...is it possible to surrender the Falcons pick though? It is a 1st round pick.

QB Flynn

WR- Wallace (give up 4th pick), Floyd (22nd pick), Little

RB- Hillis, D.Wilson (2nd rd pick)

Would be very interesting to see

'Godsbrother said:
'nxmehta said:
Me either...is it possible to surrender the Falcons pick though? It is a 1st round pick.
If I understand it correctly which I am pretty sure I don't, I think they have to provide the teams original pick. Now if we don't have it, then I am not sure how that would work. For the sake of argument here lets say we give up the 1.4, and next years 1st and 3rd with the Rams to move up for RG3. This would leave us with only the 1.22 so I am not sure if we could then use that. Someone with more info/knowledge please feel free to enlighten me. I know I'd rather have Wallace than any of the rookie WR class.

Did ESPN really need to announce that the Browns aren't going to give Hillis the franchise tag? Was that seriously a consideration?

If I understand it correctly which I am pretty sure I don't, I think they have to provide the teams original pick. Now if we don't have it, then I am not sure how that would work. For the sake of argument here lets say we give up the 1.4, and next years 1st and 3rd with the Rams to move up for RG3. This would leave us with only the 1.22 so I am not sure if we could then use that. Someone with more info/knowledge please feel free to enlighten me. I know I'd rather have Wallace than any of the rookie WR class.
From what I have read it has to be the team's original pick. Looking for link...

From what I have read it has to be the team's original pick. Looking for link...
That's what I thought as well I was just curious the scenario if the team did not have their original 1st rounder.

My link

Browns franchise Phil Dawson

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2012, 4:36 PM EST

Getty Images

Both of the kickers in the state of Ohio have the franchise tag.

The Browns will place the franchise tag on kicker Phil Dawson, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. That news comes shortly after news broke that the Bengals will place the franchise tag on kicker Ted Nugent.

It’s the second consecutive year that Dawson has been slapped with the franchise tag. Last year he signed his one-year franchise tender of $3.25 million. This year he’ll be entitled to 120 percent of what he got last year, which is $3.9 million.

Dawson made 24 of his 29 field goal attempts last year, including going an impressive 7-for-8 from beyond 50 yards.

My link

Getty Images

The Browns will place the franchise tag on kicker Phil Dawson, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. That news comes shortly after news broke that the Bengals will place the franchise tag on kicker Ted Nugent.

It’s the second consecutive year that Dawson has been slapped with the franchise tag. Last year he signed his one-year franchise tender of $3.25 million. This year he’ll be entitled to 120 percent of what he got last year, which is $3.9 million.

Dawson made 24 of his 29 field goal attempts last year, including going an impressive 7-for-8 from beyond 50 yards.
Sounds like the Bengals have a stranglehold on their kicker

My link

Getty Images

Sounds like the Bengals have a stranglehold on their kicker
:lmao:

just heard on Mike and Mike this morning that a report from STL stated that the Browns have been in talks but are unwilling to include the #22 pick to move up from 4 to 2. Have not seen anything in print to confirm yet.

just heard on Mike and Mike this morning that a report from STL stated that the Browns have been in talks but are unwilling to include the #22 pick to move up from 4 to 2. Have not seen anything in print to confirm yet.
My link
The Dolphins (No. 8) aren't eager to deal with the Rams after losing Jeff Fisher to them in the head coach sweepstakes. Sources told Thomas this option is currently dead in the water.
I have trouble believing this part. It's incredibly unprofessional if true.

My link
The Dolphins (No. 8) aren't eager to deal with the Rams after losing Jeff Fisher to them in the head coach sweepstakes. Sources told Thomas this option is currently dead in the water.
I have trouble believing this part. It's incredibly unprofessional if true.
Logic + reason and Stephen Ross don't often go hand-in-hand. If this is true I wouldn't be surprised.

Looks like a lot of good free agent WRs are either signing contracts or are getting tagged. People who are off the market:

Desean Jackson - franchised

Dwayne Bowe - franchised

Stevie Johnson - new contract

Wes Welker - franchised

People who are still available (with some guesses as to what will happen):

Brandon Lloyd

Laurent Robinson

Mario Manningham

Marques Colston - too costly

Pierre Garcon

Reggie Wayne - probably will follow peyton

Robert Meachem - probably will resign with saints after they lose colston

Vincent Jackson - too costly

There's some other minor guys out there like Early Doucet and Eddie Royal as well. There's also Mike Wallace, but he's been tendered so I doubt we'll be in play for him.

So, it looks like the best candidates are Lloyd, Robinson, Manningham, Garcon. I bet another team like NE pounces on Lloyd. Manningham has a decent chance of coming back to NY. So how about a guy like Garcon? He's a 4.40 40 guy, so he could be a great viable deep threat as a #2 to Greg Little.

Some more FA's to think about. I'd love to have Mike Wallace in town but the #4 is too expensive for me.

My link

Assessing the best free agents left, after the franchise deadline

Posted by Evan Silva on March 5, 2012, 5:43 PM EST

Pittsburgh Steelers v Houston Texans Getty Images

A league-record 21 players were given franchise tags by the time Monday’s franchise period expired. The 2012 free agency class remains strong, though.

Here’s look at what’s left:

1. Defensive end Mario Williams — Has 53 career sacks and is only 27 years old. Williams will be the most aggressively pursued free agent once the signing period opens on March 13.

2. Wide receiver Vincent Jackson — Big-play receiver with rare size and vertical skills. Jackson averages 17.5 yards per reception for his career and is a legit No. 1 wideout. The Chicago Bears are expected to show interest.

3. Guard Carl Nicks — A mauler at 6-foot-5 and 343 pounds, Nicks is deceptively athletic for his size. He wants to be the NFL’s highest paid interior offensive lineman, which is reasonable because he’s only 27 years old and one of the top three guards in football.

4. Cornerback Cortland Finnegan — Finnegan is one of the top slot corners in the game, a playmaker (15 career interceptions), and an aggressive, efficient tackler. Versatile enough to hold his own outside against top NFL receivers, Finnegan is the premier cornerback on the market.

5. Tackle Jared Gaither — Gaither has a checkered history in terms of health and mental reliability, but he’s built like Jonathan Ogden with All-Pro caliber talent. The Chargers want him back, and their sense of urgency will increase if they’re forced to release longtime left tackle Marcus McNeill.

6. Guard Ben Grubbs — Grubbs is only a one-time Pro Bowler (2012), but he’s consistently played at a Pro Bowl-caliber level as a 70-game starter in Baltimore. Grubbs is fundamentally sound and athletic enough to appeal to both power- and zone-blocking teams.

7. Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd — Lloyd has been an NFL late bloomer and turns 31 before the season, but he’s amassed 2,414 receiving yards and scored 16 touchdowns over the past two seasons amid turbulent quarterback play.

8. Cornerback Brandon Carr — Carr is Finnegan’s primary competition to be the top-rated cornerback on the market. Though not a big playmaker in coverage (eight career picks), Carr has plus size (6-foot, 207) and experience as both a press-man and zone corner.

9. Wide receiver Marques Colston — Colston has been incredibly productive in New Orleans, but there are buyer-beware warnings. He turns 29 before the season, has undergone five career knee surgeries, and racked up stats as a single-covered slot receiver in the Saints’ spread offense. Colston is not a vertical threat.

10. Quarterback Matt Flynn — Flynn has started only two career games, but he engineered a Week Seventeen shootout win over the playoff-bound Lions and narrowly lost to the Patriots in 2010. He’s thrown nine career touchdown passes compared to five interceptions while averaging a robust 7.69 yards per attempt.

My link

Hillis plans to hire Sexton, Dogra

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2012, 4:05 PM EST

Getty Images

When running back Peyton Hillis entered the NFL, he hired agent Jimmy Sexton. Three years later, after his 1,177-yard breakout season with the Browns, Hillis fired Sexton and hired Kelli Masters. Then, not long after that, Hillis fired Masters and hired Kennard McGuire.

Last week, Hillis hired McGuire.

Now, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Hillis plans to re-hire Jimmy Sexton, who has since joined CAA. Per the source, Ben Dogra of CAA also will be involved in the representation.

Once official, Sexton and Dogra will likely work with the Browns in an effort to extend an expiring contract. Next Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET, Hillis will hit the open market, absent a new deal with the Browns.

Though Hillis fairly can be viewed as a bit kooky after his misadventures of the past year, the fact that Sexton would take Hillis back suggests that there’s still a chance to turn his career around.

It may not be much of a chance, but it’s still a chance.

Got this from the radio this morning. He fired Sexton because Sexton was more concerned with marketing than his football contract. He fired Masters because she was overwhelmed. He fired McGuire because of the strept throat issue and his inability to get a contract done with Cleveland. I'm guessing he re-hired Sexton with the understanding that he re-signs in Cleveland and in return he will do more to better market himself - Sexton's good for that.

Hillis is an idiot, but he's not a bad guy.

If Mort is right about Manning and the Colts parting ways...that's good news for us! Well, at least it can't be bad news...

If Mort is right about Manning and the Colts parting ways...that's good news for us! Well, at least it can't be bad news...
If Washington get Manning and Miami gets Flynn, the Browns might not even need to trade up for Griffin. Even if they still do, the package won't have to be as crazy as was being discussed a week or so ago.

If Washington get Manning and Miami gets Flynn, the Browns might not even need to trade up for Griffin. Even if they still do, the package won't have to be as crazy as was being discussed a week or so ago.
:yes: Washington getting either one of these guys is huge for us.

Users who are viewing this thread