What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

The Browns have to sign a QB. They go from a potential playoff team to a team that has almost no chance to win when Weeden comes in. At this point, they are still one play away from this happening. When Campbell went out of the game yesterday, I almost wanted to turn the TV off.

Can somebody tell me why they haven't signed another QB yet?!

The Browns have to sign a QB. They go from a potential playoff team to a team that has almost no chance to win when Weeden comes in. At this point, they are still one play away from this happening. When Campbell went out of the game yesterday, I almost wanted to turn the TV off.

who's available?

who's available?
I think...

Young

Thigpen

Skelton

Favre :shrug:

and a few other stiffs.

They should have already had someone in here.

edit:

Pat McManamon listed these guys in an article a few days ago, and also mentioned we tried to sign Tolzien off GB's practice squad but Tolzien wanted to stay there. I didn't know that was an option?

The list of free-agent quarterbacks includes: Sage Rosenfels, Todd Bouman, Chris Redman, Billy Volek, David Carr Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Trent Edwards, Troy Smith, Graham Harrell, Caleb Hanie, Mike Kafka, Tim Tebow (yes, him), John Skelton and a lot of other guys most people have never heard of.
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/1513/browns-willing-to-live-with-two-qbs?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Last edited by a moderator:

who's available?
Section 112, Row 7, Seat 6.

Except for that depressing few minutes Wee-done flayed around on the field that game was fantastic. Jacked for the battle with the Bungles in 2 weeks.

who's available?
I think...

Young

Thigpen

Skelton

and a few other stiffs.

edit:

Pat McManamon listed these guys in an article a few days ago, and also mentioned we tried to sign Tolzien off GB's practice squad but Tolzien wanted to stay there. I didn't know that was an option?

The list of free-agent quarterbacks includes: Sage Rosenfels, Todd Bouman, Chris Redman, Billy Volek, David Carr Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Trent Edwards, Troy Smith, Graham Harrell, Caleb Hanie, Mike Kafka, Tim Tebow (yes, him), John Skelton and a lot of other guys most people have never heard of.
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/1513/browns-willing-to-live-with-two-qbs?ex_cid=espnapi_public
I think I'd rather have anybody on that list coming off the bench before Weeden. That's not very realistic, but the team (defense included) looks deflated like a flat tire when Weeden comes back onto the field. Just hoping I don't have to watch that again, ever.

The team will likely sign someone but whoever they get won't realistically help this year, if ever.

Just the cold hard logistics. It would take a week for the guy to get an offer, meet with officials, have his agent go over the conctract, relocate the player, etc, before he would get a crack at learning the playbook. Its the BYE week so that player would not have any other players to work with so he would only be limited to doing class work trying to get up to speed on the playbook.

It took our QBs an entire, offseason, training camp, preseason, and then at least a few weeks into the season working and building chemistry with the recievers and the O-Line to feel comfortable with their drops and releases before they got a shot to play. Anyone who gets singed won't have months of learning the playbook, or mini-camps, or OTAs, or training camp, or four preseason games. They get one BYE week to just learn the playbook and then they won't get first team reps to build any sort of chemistry.

Considering that their are only 7 games left in the season and their simply are not great prospects sitting out there, let alone any who are up to speed on Norv Turner's offense. I wouldn't hold my breath that some guy sitting out there on the waiver wire who wasn't good enough to make any of the other 31 NFL teams could come in and play well let alone be reason to celebrate.

I think the solid play of both Hoyer and Cambell has festerd some idea that anyone off the street could come in and play at a high level but no one out there is as good as Hoyer or Cambell and whoever they get will have to learn the playbook. Hoyer and Cambell had months and months to learn the playbook so when they were called on to play, they were ready and quite frankly they are much more talented than anyone we can realisitcally find out on the waiver wire.

who's available?
I think...

Young

Thigpen

Skelton

and a few other stiffs.

edit:

I think I'd rather have anybody on that list coming off the bench before Weeden. That's not very realistic, but the team (defense included) looks deflated like a flat tire when Weeden comes back onto the field. Just hoping I don't have to watch that again, ever.
This is why they need to do something. I don't expect any other QB that comes in to be any good if called upon, but it's clear the other 52 guys on the team have no faith whatsoever in Weeden and it effects their play.

also Norv's system isn't exactly new.

some of those guys may have already played in it, or a version of it.

if nothing else, they still have to get a third QB ready in case Campbell is knocked out for the rest of the year.

for example, Billy Volek played for Turner in San Diego for years.

someone like him could probably come in as the backup fairly quickly.

You guys ready for Mallett yet?

Doesn't seem like it's going to happen:

Hey Tony: A couple of what-if scenarios for you. Could the Pats or Redskins be the mystery teams in the Josh Gordon rumor mill? Could Ryan Mallet or Kirk Cousins be that unidentified player being talked about in the trade? If so, could the Browns enter 2014 with a combo of Mallet/Hoyer or Cousins/Hoyer and feel that they do not need to draft a 1st round QB, thus allowing them to use all these acquired draft picks to bolster the roster and add lots of skill players and depth? Curious as to your thoughts.

-- Sean, Phoenix, AZ

Hey Sean: I don’t foresee a trade for a quarterback. I believe the Browns are committed and determined to find their franchise quarterback in the draft, even knowing that Hoyer should be fully recovered by the start of the 2014 training camp.

Hey Tony: Has Mike Lombardi ever had any real interest in Ryan Mallett? It seems Lombardi was right in signing Brian Hoyer, and Hoyer and Mallett have both been groomed by Tom Brady and the Patriots. Surely he would come less than a 1st round pick, has all the physical attributes and is young enough to be a long term answer. Plus, we could probably trade for him this year. What are your thoughts?

-- Bryan, Belpre, OH

Hey Bryan: A source told me months ago the Browns had no interest in Mallett. I don’t believe he “has all the physical attributes.” He is slow afoot and there are questions about the quickness of his release and his ability to read the field quickly. Mallett is not a consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys ready for Mallett yet?
Hoyer is signed through 2014, as is Mallett. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Lombardi just signs Mallett after he leaves New England in 2015.

He won't effect our plans for QB in 2014 regardless.

You guys give yourselves a fighting chance @ CIN in week 11?

Most of the people left in my survivor pool will be forced to take the Bengals, as it's a very tough week. (I still have Denver available). It would be a great day if the Brownies could knock off their in-state rival. You gotta figure that Haden can somewhat neutralize A.J., and Cincy is very depleted on defense. So I think there's a good shot.

Most of the people left in my survivor pool will be forced to take the Bengals, as it's a very tough week. (I still have Denver available). It would be a great day if the Brownies could knock off their in-state rival. You gotta figure that Haden can somewhat neutralize A.J., and Cincy is very depleted on defense. So I think there's a good shot.
I think it comes down to the final five minutes.

there should be about 20 teams for you to pick from that week. wtf?

Here are the teams I will have used already, entering week 11:

INDY

OAK

SEA

N.O.

CLE

CIN

G.B.

KC

CAR

NYG

Now please tell me which team I have available is a better pick than Denver, who I assume will be favored by at least 7.

Here are the teams I will have used already, entering week 11:

INDY

OAK

SEA

N.O.

CLE

CIN

G.B.

KC

CAR

NYG

Now please tell me which team I have available is a better pick than Denver, who I assume will be favored by at least 7.
if you've already used Cleveland how could you use them in week 11?

sorry, i see what you are saying now.

my advice is to not worry about what the other guys are doing and to stop cluttering up the Cleveland thread with questions about your survivor pool.

good luck.

Chris Fedor updated his top-ten 2014 Quarterback draft prospect list.

Seems we will hear one of these names next May. Its really early but already it appears the top-two names our starting to take root on many draft lists as the top-two QBs and considering how many teams are seeking franchise QBs its not likely we would have a shot at them so ther names are ones to file away.

I have only got brief glimpses of the top-two guys and I think they are probably the top-two quarterbacks who will be selected.

I feel Hoyer can and will act as a bridge. He has earned another look so we don't need to shove a rookie into the mix right away. We can afford to take a guy and allow him to develop and next year's QB crop is said to be deep but not as saturated with talent at the top as 2012.

I haven't followed college ball much so any useful takes on what you may have seen of guys mentioned on this list?

I'm sure some of you have seen these guys more than I have. If nothing this is a good snapshot of where some of the top quarterbacks stand today.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/11/2013_college_quarterback_repor_1.html

2013 College Quarterback Report: A new player debuts in the Top 10

By Chris Fedor

November 05, 2013 at 11:05 AM, updated November 05, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Email

[SIZE=1em]CLEVELAND, Ohio - The college football regular season is winding down. Upsets have been one of the stories of the season.[/SIZE]

But there's another running theme. It's the amount of quarterbacks that have captured the nation's attention. It seems like there is a new name every week. This year's group comes in all different sizes and ages. There are seniors, underclassmen, pocket passers, dual threat weapons and even a freshman (Jameis Winston) to keep an eye on. However, what once looked like a very promising class continues to lose luster with some top prospects (Tajh Boyd and Brett Hundley) struggling.

There is a drop-off after the first three and a[SIZE=1em]t this point, I think there are only four worthy of first round consideration. Sorry Jameis Winston fans, you will have to wait till next year's quarterback report to see him at the top of the list.[/SIZE]

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

6-3, 196 lbs., Junior

Yearly stats:179-243 (73.7%), 2557 yards, 23 TDs, 2 INTs

Most recent game:Win at South Florida, 34-3. 25-29 (86.2%), 344 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT. Had a bye in Week 10.

Analysis: Bridgewater puts up numbers on a weekly basis that are staggering and he makes it look easy. Sometimes so much so that questions about his passion and leadership might start to creep up in the future. I'm not worried about that. I'm also not worried about the schedule that he plays against because as good as the numbers are, that's not why he's at the top of this list. He sits at No. 1 because of who he is as a QB. Bridgewater possesses a strong arm while at the same time understanding when touch is needed. He runs a pro style offense, making a number of changes at the line of scrimmage himself. And he has great pocket awareness with an ability to throw the ball accurately in the face of a rush. There isn't a single trait that you'd want in a quarterback that this kid doesn't have.

Last week's ranking: No. 1

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon

6-4, 211 lbs., RS Sophomore

Yearly stats: Passing - 144-225 (64%), 2281 yards, 20 TDs, 0 INT.

Rushing – 56 attempts, 511 yards, 9 TDs

Most recent game: Win vs. UCLA, 42-14. Passing – 21-28 (75%), 230 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. Had a bye in Week 10.

Rushing – 7 carries, 18 yards, 0 TD.

Analysis: He is the only quarterback in the class that could eventually overtake the top spot from Bridgewater. He closes the gap every week. Mariota has the size, athleticism, arm strength and accuracy that teams covet. Like Bridgewater, he is also always poised and under control. He has also shown tremendous growth as a passer. When teams have taken away his legs, like UCLA did two weeks ago, he has shown the ability to carve up the opposition through the air. If there is a knock on him, it's the system he plays in, but one look at him and you can see that he is not just a "system" quarterback. He will have a great test against a tough, physical Stanford defense on Thursday night.

Last week's ranking: No. 2

3. Johnny Manziel, Texas A & M

6-1, 210 lbs., RS Sophomore

Yearly stats: Passing – 200-276 (72.5%), 2867 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs

Rushing – 96 carries, 564 yards, 8 TDs

Most recent game: Win vs. UTEP, 57-7. Passing – 16-24 (66.7%), 273 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs.

Rushing – 7 carries, 67 yards, 2 TDs

Analysis: Manziel won the Heisman Trophy last year as a freshman and he's even better this year despite some key losses (OT Luke Joeckel and WR Ryan Swope) on offense. The first thing people will talk about is his off-the-field concerns. Those issues are undeniable, but so is his ability to make magic when he steps between the lines. The danger of playing against Johnny Football is that a team can do everything perfect on defense (coverage, assignments, pressure) and he can still make them pay with his arm or his legs. He has a great understanding of the position and is a natural playmaker. He has been overshadowed a bit by some of the other quarterbacks, but there hasn't been a game yet where he's disappointed.

Last week's ranking: No. 3

4. Brett Hundley, UCLA

6-3 222 lbs., RS Sophomore

Yearly stats: Passing - 165-242 (68.2%), 1998 yards, 16 TDs, 8 INTs

Rushing – 98 carries, 431 yards, 6 TDs

Most recent game: Win vs. Colorado, 45-23. Passing – 19-24 (79.2%), 273 yards 2 TDs, 0 INT.

Rushing – 11 carries, 72 yards, 2 TDs

Analysis: He needed that kind of bounce-back game after his clunker on the big stage against Oregon. That was the kind of game that has some salivating over his potential. The key word there is potential. It just doesn't happen enough for him. Too often, Hundley looks befuddled and gets baited into a few horrendous and head-scratching throws per game. The natural talent is there, but he needs at least one more year with the Bruins. With proper coaching, he could end up being elite.

Last week's ranking: No. 4

5. Zach Mettenberger, LSU

6-5, 230 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: 151-231 (65.4%), 2492 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INTs

Most recent game: Win vs. Furman, 48-16. 16-24 (66.7%), 274 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs. Had a Week 10 bye.

Analysis: Mettenberger is the most improved quarterback in college football, and will get a great test this weekend against Alabama. With dual-threat QB's taking over the college game, Mettenberger is a classic drop-back passer with a cannon for an arm. He's more comfortable this season and more confident. His ability to deliver the ball in the face of a rush is a trait that is not easy to find. I can't wait to see how he plays against the Tide.

Last week's ranking: No. 5

6. Derek Carr, Fresno State

6-3, 218 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: 290-419 (69.2%), 3061 yards, 28 TDs, 4 INTs

Most recent game: Win vs. Nevada, 41-23. 39-55 (70.9%), 487 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT

Analysis: All of his past immaturity issues seem to be behind him. He has made tremendous growth this season. Carr, the brother of 2002 first-overall pick David, is putting up huge numbers in his final season. He can make the big throws downfield and doesn't fade away as much as he used to. His accuracy becomes spotty on the shorter tosses and it will be a transition for him when he is asked to take snaps under center and read a defense, but the tools are there and he makes "wow" throws on a weekly basis.

Last week's ranking: No. 8

7. Tajh Boyd, Clemson

6-1, 225 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: Passing – 192-292 (65.8%), 2620 yards, 20 TDs, 6 INTs

Rushing – 100 carries, 194 yards, 7 TDs

Most recent game: Win at Maryland, 40-27. Passing – 24-29 (82.8%), 377 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT.

Rushing – 7 carries, minus 25 yards, 1 TD

Analysis: There is no player that has hurt his draft stock more this year than Boyd. Has he already reached his ceiling? He had a shaky outing against Florida State two weeks ago and looks nothing like the player he was in 2012. The size has always been a point of contention, but it's his spotty accuracy, sloppy footwork and locking in on targets that continue to plague him. The numbers were tremendous against Maryland this past weekend, but it will take a lot more than that to get his slipping stock to go back in a positive direction.

Last week's ranking: No. 6

8. A.J. McCarron, Alabama

6-4, 214 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: 145-209 (69.4%), 1862 yards, 16 TDs, 3 INTs

Most recent game: Win vs. Tennessee, 45-10. 19-27 (70.4%), 275 yards, 2 TD, 0 INTs. [SIZE=1em]Had a Week 10 bye.[/SIZE]

Analysis: McCarron will be the most difficult quarterback in the class to evaluate. Is he as good as he's going to be? Is he a product of the team around him? Surrounded by some of college football's most talented players, McCarron could win another National Championship, but the winning doesn't always translate to the next level. His arm strength is still a concern and I think he's still too inaccurate on the deep throws. He is a solid, but not spectacular quarterback prospect that will hover around this ranking all year.

Last week's ranking: No. 7

9. Bryce Petty, Baylor

6-3, 230 lbs., RS Junior

Yearly stats: Passing – 122-176 (69.3%), 2453 yards, 18 TDs, 1 INT

Rushing – 28 carries, 73 yards, 6 TDs

Most recent game: Win at Kansas, 59-14. Passing – 20-32 (62.5%), 430 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT.

[SIZE=1em]Rushing – 4 carries, 22 yards, 1 TD. [/SIZE][SIZE=1em]Had a Week 10 bye.[/SIZE]

Analysis: Petty has followed in the footsteps of Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum and Robert Griffin III as protégé's of Baylor head coach Art Briles. Petty has burst onto the scene this year and has Baylor dreaming of a national title. This weekend will be a big test. The Sooners will provide more resistance than any other opponent yet. Petty has the size and throws the best deep in college football. He could continue his rise with a strong showing Thursday night.

Last week's ranking: No. 9

10. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

6-6, 257 lbs., Senior

Yearly stats: Passing – 167-300 (55.7%), 2056 yards, 11 TDs, 12 INTs

Rushing – 121 carries, 296 yards, 4 TDs

Most recent game: Loss at Boston College, 34-27. Passing –24-41 (58.5%), 391 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs.

Rushing – 20 carries, 38 yards, 0 TD.

Analysis: Many have soured on Thomas, including myself. I understand why. He has not become the player many expected. This year, he has more interceptions than touchdowns and still makes far too many critical errors. But Thomas, a former tight end, is still new to the position and Virginia Tech has been a mess the last few seasons. Whether it's been a lack of a running game, losing his receivers following a strong sophomore year or a change in coordinators, Thomas hasn't had much stability. Make no mistake, he still has a long ways to go, but he's not in the Top 10 because of who he is right now. He's on this list because of what he could become in the future if he finally develops. The arm strength and athleticism can't be taught. I think with better coaching, the talent can be brought out of him.

Last week's ranking: NA

We're not going to be in a spot to pick Bridgewater or Mariotta.

Hundley isn't ready, he should go back.

I think Mett is a perfect fit for this offense if he checks out from the neck up.

Carr is starting to sell me.

I think Tahj's ninth life just expired.

I don't love McCarron, but I won't pitch a fit like I did with Weeden if we draft him.

I am holding my opinion on Petty until I see how he does over the next half dozen games.

Logan Thomas? Please, stop.

Not mentioned, but I'm also keeping an open mind with Jimmy Garopollo.

I think Mett is a perfect fit for this offense if he checks out from the neck up.

I don't love McCarron, but I won't pitch a fit like I did with Weeden if we draft him.

I am holding my opinion on Petty until I see how he does over the next half dozen games.

What's your opinion of Manziel?

What's your opinion of Manziel?
I would love to see him in Philly with chip.

1. If you were(n't) a believer in McCoy, not getting a deal done for RG3. Looks like the Rams screwed the pooch here too.
Browns were never giving up all those picks for RGIII. Glad they didn't too.
2. Telling McCoy yesterday that you weren't drafting a QB. That outright lie will bite them in the behind down the road.
Bummer. #### happens. Deal with it McCoy.
3. Using that second first on Wheeden at that time. They needed to either trade down or draft another player and then use #37 to move back into the first. They easily could have had a top ten talent and Wheeden if they had played things correctly.
There's no way of knowing who would be where at #37 or who could trade up at anytime to grab Weeden. They liked him, they wanted him, they took him. Don't think that makes it a bad decision.
Is Wade still a fan of this franchise?

1. If you were(n't) a believer in McCoy, not getting a deal done for RG3. Looks like the Rams screwed the pooch here too.
2. Telling McCoy yesterday that you weren't drafting a QB. That outright lie will bite them in the behind down the road.
3. Using that second first on Wheeden at that time. They needed to either trade down or draft another player and then use #37 to move back into the first. They easily could have had a top ten talent and Wheeden if they had played things correctly.
There's no way of knowing who would be where at #37 or who could trade up at anytime to grab Weeden. They liked him, they wanted him, they took him. Don't think that makes it a bad decision.
first, the entire discussion is irrelevant due to new ownership, GM, and coach. secondly, obviously Weeden was a massive failure. doesn't necessarily mean they should not have drafted him if they thought he would pan out. busts happen.

thirdly, #### Colt, he got a paycheck, and he sucked at his job. no sympathy for him.

lastly, i have no idea why you chose this particular moment to call out Wade, but unless i'm missing some sort of context for this, you're being an #######.

amnesiac said:
BassNBrew said:
first, the entire discussion is irrelevant due to new ownership, GM, and coach.secondly, obviously Weeden was a massive failure. doesn't necessarily mean they should not have drafted him if they thought he would pan out. busts happen.

thirdly, #### Colt, he got a paycheck, and he sucked at his job. no sympathy for him.
:whistle:

amnesiac said:
and, for the record, i still wouldn't do that deal for RG3 personally.
I still have mixed feelings about this.

I think he was absolutely worth the price that needed to be paid to get him, but just like at that time, I didn't see anyway he would work here (early on anyway) because his coach was a total bafoon. I feel like he would have been just good enough to keep that clown around had the team not been sold, which obviously would not be a good thing.

If you could guarantee me Shurmur was gone after 2012 at the time of that trade, give me RG3, but you couldn't guarantee that at that time.

A spate of offensive guard news.

Browns have made a trade with Seattle -

Get offensive guard John Moffitt for defensive lineman Brian Sanford
Remember that nulified trade for Moffitt?

He quit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/john-moffitt-says-he-simply-wasnt-happy-in-football/

John Moffitt says he simply wasn’t happy in footballPosted by Darin Gantt on November 6, 2013, 8:28 AM EST

For many, if not most players, playing in the NFL represents a dream come true, reaching the pinnacle of a lifetime of work.

Former Broncos guard John Moffitt, who walked away from the game at 27, said he simply didn’t enjoy the game any longer.

“I just really thought about it and decided I’m not happy. I’m not happy at all,” Moffitt told Arnie Stapleton of the Associated Press. “And I think it’s really madness to risk your body, risk your well-being and risk your happiness for money.

“Everybody, they just don’t get it and they think it’s crazy. But I think what I was doing is crazy.”

Moffitt wasn’t playing much for the Broncos, but he said that didn’t have anything to do with his decision. Neither did the $312,000 in salary for the rest of this season and more than $700,000 next year he was owed under his contract. Neither did the fact that he could have ridden a bench for another two months and possibly won a Super Bowl ring. Not when he wasn’t able to spend enough time with those he loved, and risked his health.

“Once you tear away all the illusions of it, it’s hard work,” he said. “And it’s dangerous work. And you’re away from your family. And it’s not good for families. It’s very tough on families.

“I’m ready to go to work and start doing other things right now. So, it’s a smoother transition and I’m still young enough to start a career and my body’s healthy and I’m good. I look at it as a great start to life, you know?”

While many won’t understand his decision, his willingness to follow his heart and pursue happiness is admirable, whatever path it takes.
So that looks like another good move by our front office.

Oh and another guard new item.

We just activated OG Jason Pinkston.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/11/6/5072478/browns-og-jason-pinkston-called-in-for-duty-returns-from-ir

Browns OG Jason Pinkston Called In For Duty, Returns from IRBy Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature on Nov 6 2013, 8:40a
G Jason Pinkston suffered a high ankle sprain just before the start of the regular season, thwarting his comeback attempt from a blood clot in his lung last season. The Cleveland Browns had placed Pinkston on the short-term injured reserve list, meaning he could return half-way through the season. On Tuesday, the Browns made his return to the team official:

Cleveland Browns @BrownsBrowns have activated OL Jason Pinkston from IR/Designated for return and have released OL Rashad Butler.

3:33 PM - 5 Nov 2013
Despite the crazy situation down in Miami, offensive linemen typically form a tight-knit unit. We've seen the chemistry grow ever since OG Shawn Lauvao re-joined the starting lineup, and these guys really enjoy being teammates with each other. Unfortunately, with Pinkston leaving, the offensive linemen had to say goodbye to a fellow veteran, OT Rashad Butler:

Jason Pinkston @JasonPinkstonOL

It's def feels great to be back bitter sweet on the other hand lost a really good guy & veteran leader on our team

3:44 PM - 5 Nov 2013
Butler had only seen a handful of goal line snaps this season as an extra offensive lineman, but also played on special teams. With Pinkston back, the Browns shouldn't miss a beat if one of their guards -- Lauvao or John Greco -- go down with an injury. Although I don't expect Pinkston to unseat one of them in the starting lineup, because of the struggles Cleveland has had in the run blocking department, that possibility always exists too.

I am wary we won't do it, but I really hope we re-sign Alex Mack, that way the only position on the OL we really need to start looking at is tackle. We are stacked with guards now, especially if Schwartz changes positions before next season.

I am wary we won't do it, but I really hope we re-sign Alex Mack, that way the only position on the OL we really need to start looking at is tackle. We are stacked with guards now, especially if Schwartz changes positions before next season.
The interior of the offensive line gets so-little discussion, especially on a fantasy football forum that I think it is under-discussed/reported on.

I have full-faith in the curret front office. The combination of, Banner, Lombardi, and Ray Farmer, is sensation IMHO.

I knew they would not trade WR Josh Gordon unless they got a killer deal. See the RB Trent Richardson trade. These guys are good. I had full-faith that they would not deal Gordon and said-so repeatedly when some were proposing ridiculous trades as though they had a chance to happen.

Point being, our front office is really smart so I wouldn't fret that they will let C Alex Mack go if his asking price is within the realisitc ball-park. If Mack does wind up leaving in FA then I would be his asking price would not be reasonable but I think he will re-up. Same thing with TJ Ward. I honestly don't feel we have a thing to worry about with those two and the reason is our front office is too smart to let them walk.

-----------------------------------

Per our offensive line.

I REALLY LIKE Jason Pinkston when he's healthy and it appears he's finally healthy but it will take time to round him back into football shape. He has sat out for more than one full-year. Yeah, he was back at camp but he wasn't the same guy and he said he was only at 70 or 80% before he injured his ankle. I REALLY LIKE him and think he will prove to be an excellent guard in time.

Grecco, eh, he's capable but not overly athletic and the left guard position is 'typicall' the pulling guard. We use C Alex Mack to pull because he's off-the-charts athletic and he's got a super-high motor. Lauvuau is our strong-man 'enforcer'. A real tough guy but again, not overly athletic and, in the past, he's been a liability in pass-pro but now that we've ALL SEEN WITH OUR LYING EYES that the main issue with pass-pro recently has been QB Brandon Weeden. Our sack rated plummeted the second he was replaced.

Offensive right tackle Mitchell Schwartz is a guy who I think will turn out to be a gem. He got off to a rough start his rookie season but he turned things around quickly and quite frankly, his pass protection was outstanding late last year. This year he was doubly hampered by the worst OG play since Scott Rebergh when O'Neil Cousins was an emergency fill-in for Lavuau at right guard for the first month or so of the season AND he was attemping to proected for Weeden and I'm not going to kick Brandon around because its been done so lets just move-on.

The rookie we got in the draft, Gilkey, and the free agent OT from LSU, forget his name, both look like 'decen't developmental guys. So we have some interesting prospects in the developmental pipeline.

Our running game could improve if we prioritized an 'atheletic-pulling' LG but the problem seems obvious. We lack a good RB so I think that will be a priority in FA and with a relatively-high draft pick, 2nd or 3rd round selection.

Bottom line. Right now our O-Line is playing decently. Hasn't been mentioned but Mitchell Schwartz' play has vastly improved and its because he isn't hamped by O'Nel Cousins at RG or Brandon Weeden at QB. Grecco has been 'adequate' at LG. Mack and JT have been awesome and Lavuaa has actually impressed me with his play but maybe its moreso beause Cousins sucked so bad that I just appreciate 'decent' OG play by comparison. Oh and I love Pinkston but he can't be in football shape right now but going forward into next year, i REALLY LIKE him and our chances to re-sign Alex Mack and the young developmental guys we have in the mix.

I don't see OG as a major 'high-draft' need need for next year and I'm confident that our FO will take care of business and re-sign C Alec Mack.

Don't mean to be a pest but QB Jason Cambell was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week, the first Cleveland Brown AFC OPOTW since 2007 so this 'rare' news is worthy of a mention.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/jason-campbell-wins-afc-offensive-player-of-week/0

Jason Campbell wins AFC offensive player of weekPosted by Darin Gantt on November 6, 2013, 10:41 AM EST

Jason Campbell proved his toughness and his composure last week, and he was rewarded for it.

The Browns quarterback was named AFC offensive player of the week, after coming back from a rib injury to snap an 11-game losing streak against the Ravens.

Campbell was decisive and calm, throwing three touchdown passes against the league’s best red zone defense.

He’s the third quarterback the Browns have started this season, and he has proven at different points in his career to be a good-enough quarterback.

And at the moment, that’s good enough for the 4-5 Browns.
Also an unprecidented 3rd news item related to an offensive guard with the Cleveland Browns.

I had forgoten the stories that ran after OG Garrett Gilkey was drafted about how he was bullied as a kid.

The Richie Incognito flap has understandably brought those stories back into focus.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2013/11/05/browns-rookie-ol-garrett-gilkey-a-bullying-victim-as-a-teenager-empathizes-with-miamis-jonathan-martin-calls-cleveland-very-healthy-environment/

Browns rookie OL Garrett Gilkey, a bullying victim as a teenager, empathizes with Miami’s Jonathan Martin, calls Cleveland “very healthy environment”

BEREA — Rookie offensive lineman Garrett Gilkey believes his calling in life is to help prevent bullying while supporting other victims. He shares his story at schools, churches and youth groups to spread the message of perseverance and protection.

“I was booed in front of the entire school during the recognition of being on the scholastic team,” he said Tuesday. “I had my baseball glove peed in. I was pinned down once and a soiled bodily device was thrown in my mouth.

”Gilkey’s personal hell came as a teenager in Illinois and led him to switch high schools. He grew stronger and fulfilled his NFL dream, but doesn’t want others to go through what he did and believes bystanders should intervene to stop what they know is wrong behavior.

His experience has increased relevance in the wake of the apparent bullying situation in Miami. Second-year offensive lineman Jonathan Martin left the Dolphins last week because of emotional issues, and veteran lineman Richie Incognito was suspended indefinitely Sunday.

The league is investigating the alleged harassment by Incognito that reportedly included threatening text messages with racial epithets and profane language.

“I can’t imagine what he has gone through the past year and a half,” Gilkey said of Martin. “I don’t care if you’re a 24-year-old NFL lineman, bullying is the same as if you were a 9-year-old girl.

“I know that struggle and I can’t imagine that in such a high-stress job. Being on your own essentially and having to constantly be scared of however you’re going to be hazed or ridiculed or made fun of. It doesn’t matter how old you are or how big you are, no one should have to go through that.”

Gilkey said he was bullied late in junior high and the start of high school. He was about 5-foot-10, 160 pounds – a stark contrast from his current 6-6, 320-pound frame.

“I was a little gingery, skinny, freckle-faced kid,” Gilkey told The Chronicle-Telegram in the spring. “That’s outside the norm. Kids see other kids that have differences and they like to point them out. It’s a way of self-affirmation.

”The behavior doesn’t stop when adolescence ends. Martin is biracial and Stanford-educated and apparently provided a target for Incognito.“Just in general, it’s pretty tragic,” said Gilkey, a seventh-round pick who hasn’t played an offensive snap. “I think sometimes people forget that this is a work-place environment. People are like a sponge, so with a sponge you can only add so much water and then eventually that sponge has to release that water.”

Receiver Davone Bess spent five years in Miami before being traded to the Browns during the draft and was a member of the leadership group.

“I’m with the Cleveland Browns right now,” he said. “I don’t have no opinion on that. I don’t want no part of that.

”When pressed, Bess said he never saw hazing go too far and that Martin never approached the leadership group with a problem. He’s sad about the situation.

“Absolutely, because I know both of them and Richie’s never disrespected me and Jon Martin, he’s a good kid. He was a good dude,” Bess said.

Rookie coach Rob Chudzinski wouldn’t comment specifically on the Miami situation but said he “feels good” about his locker room.

“I’m very fortunate that we have in Cleveland a great locker room and a great bunch of guys here,” Gilkey said. “It’s been a very healthy environment. I feel like they are big brothers I never had. It’s very encouraging.”

“We just try to make sure we do everything we can to bring guys along and support them, especially younger guys,” 31-year-old quarterback Jason Campbell said. “You’ll be a big brother to them.”

One of the myriad issues involved in the Dolphins case is the jump from hazing to bullying. Many teams, including the Browns, believe rookie hazing is acceptable at certain levels.

Examples are carrying veterans’ shoulder pads off the practice field and bringing food to meetings. The Browns also shaved the heads of select rookies at the end of training camp.

“I don’t see those things as hazing,” Chudzinski said. “I think the key is it being voluntary participation and being positive in that way. Those are the things that are part of our locker room, any NFL locker room.”

Gilkey said the extent of his initiation was singing a country song.

“Nothing that’s detrimental,” he said. “I feel very fortunate. Not only is there a great group of leaders on the offensive line with Joe (Thomas), Alex (Mack) and John Greco, but they are a great group of guys.”

Linebacker and captain D’Qwell Jackson is the undisputed leader of the defense in his eighth season. He was stunned by the stories coming out of Miami, and said it’s easy to recognize the difference between good-natured prank and hateful bullying.

“When a guy feels like he’s being singled out, that’s not acceptable at all,” he said. “We wouldn’t cut off Garrett Gilkey’s hair because he has long hair. You wouldn’t do that to a guy.

“It should be about welcoming guys into the league. It should be all about fun and being able to tell your kids’ kids about me filling up Ted Washington’s refrigerator with Red Bull. That’s something I had to do as a rookie.

Jackson had plenty of stories to tell from his rookie season spent with veterans like Willie McGinest, Andra Davis and Washington.

“I remember Andra called me over to his house one day and was like, ‘Hey, I want you to come over and hang out,’” Jackson said. “He and his wife were going out to dinner, I had to watch the kids. So they call me Uncle D’Qwell.”

Jackson also recalled a hazing incident that didn’t go over well. Former cornerback Coye Francies became irate in 2009 when the veterans tried to put him in the ice tub, stormed into the locker room with a bucket of ice and threw at least one errant punch.

“He didn’t like it, and that was the end of it,” Jackson said.

The macho, sometimes primitive, culture of the NFL likely played a role in Miami. People have suggested Martin deserves some of the blame for not confronting Incognito and for leaving the team.

“I don’t fault the guy,” Jackson said. “If he felt he was being singled out, you do what you feel is best for you to do. Obviously, in my opinion, he felt frightened.

“A lot of guys would say you fight the guy or you do this. That doesn’t solve anything. You have to be respectful to your teammates. That’s what it comes down to.”

Jackson felt less confident when asked if Martin would be accepted back in an NFL locker room.

“That’s the million-dollar question,” he said. -

Chris Fedor updated his top-ten 2014 Quarterback draft prospect list.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/11/2013_college_quarterback_repor_1.html

2013 College Quarterback Report: A new player debuts in the Top 10

By Chris Fedor

November 05, 2013 at 11:05 AM, updated November 05, 2013 at 11:06 AM

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

6-3, 196 lbs., Junior

Yearly stats:179-243 (73.7%), 2557 yards, 23 TDs, 2 INTs

Most recent game:Win at South Florida, 34-3. 25-29 (86.2%), 344 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT. Had a bye in Week 10.

Analysis: Bridgewater puts up numbers on a weekly basis that are staggering and he makes it look easy. Sometimes so much so that questions about his passion and leadership might start to creep up in the future. I'm not worried about that. I'm also not worried about the schedule that he plays against because as good as the numbers are, that's not why he's at the top of this list. He sits at No. 1 because of who he is as a QB. Bridgewater possesses a strong arm while at the same time understanding when touch is needed. He runs a pro style offense, making a number of changes at the line of scrimmage himself. And he has great pocket awareness with an ability to throw the ball accurately in the face of a rush. There isn't a single trait that you'd want in a quarterback that this kid doesn't have.

Last week's ranking: No. 1

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon

6-4, 211 lbs., RS Sophomore

Yearly stats: Passing - 144-225 (64%), 2281 yards, 20 TDs, 0 INT.

Rushing – 56 attempts, 511 yards, 9 TDs

Most recent game: Win vs. UCLA, 42-14. Passing – 21-28 (75%), 230 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. Had a bye in Week 10.

Rushing – 7 carries, 18 yards, 0 TD.

Analysis: He is the only quarterback in the class that could eventually overtake the top spot from Bridgewater. He closes the gap every week. Mariota has the size, athleticism, arm strength and accuracy that teams covet. Like Bridgewater, he is also always poised and under control. He has also shown tremendous growth as a passer. When teams have taken away his legs, like UCLA did two weeks ago, he has shown the ability to carve up the opposition through the air. If there is a knock on him, it's the system he plays in, but one look at him and you can see that he is not just a "system" quarterback. He will have a great test against a tough, physical Stanford defense on Thursday night.

Last week's ranking: No. 2

3. Johnny Manziel, Texas A & M

6-1, 210 lbs., RS Sophomore

Yearly stats: Passing – 200-276 (72.5%), 2867 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs

Rushing – 96 carries, 564 yards, 8 TDs

Most recent game: Win vs. UTEP, 57-7. Passing – 16-24 (66.7%), 273 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs.

Rushing – 7 carries, 67 yards, 2 TDs

Analysis: Manziel won the Heisman Trophy last year as a freshman and he's even better this year despite some key losses (OT Luke Joeckel and WR Ryan Swope) on offense. The first thing people will talk about is his off-the-field concerns. Those issues are undeniable, but so is his ability to make magic when he steps between the lines. The danger of playing against Johnny Football is that a team can do everything perfect on defense (coverage, assignments, pressure) and he can still make them pay with his arm or his legs. He has a great understanding of the position and is a natural playmaker. He has been overshadowed a bit by some of the other quarterbacks, but there hasn't been a game yet where he's disappointed.

Last week's ranking: No. 3

4. Brett Hundley, UCLA

6-3 222 lbs., RS Sophomore

Yearly stats: Passing - 165-242 (68.2%), 1998 yards, 16 TDs, 8 INTs

Rushing – 98 carries, 431 yards, 6 TDs

Most recent game: Win vs. Colorado, 45-23. Passing – 19-24 (79.2%), 273 yards 2 TDs, 0 INT.

Rushing – 11 carries, 72 yards, 2 TDs

Analysis: He needed that kind of bounce-back game after his clunker on the big stage against Oregon. That was the kind of game that has some salivating over his potential. The key word there is potential. It just doesn't happen enough for him. Too often, Hundley looks befuddled and gets baited into a few horrendous and head-scratching throws per game. The natural talent is there, but he needs at least one more year with the Bruins. With proper coaching, he could end up being elite.

Last week's ranking: No. 4

5. Zach Mettenberger, LSU

6-5, 230 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: 151-231 (65.4%), 2492 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INTs

Most recent game: Win vs. Furman, 48-16. 16-24 (66.7%), 274 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs. Had a Week 10 bye.

Analysis: Mettenberger is the most improved quarterback in college football, and will get a great test this weekend against Alabama. With dual-threat QB's taking over the college game, Mettenberger is a classic drop-back passer with a cannon for an arm. He's more comfortable this season and more confident. His ability to deliver the ball in the face of a rush is a trait that is not easy to find. I can't wait to see how he plays against the Tide.

Last week's ranking: No. 5

6. Derek Carr, Fresno State

6-3, 218 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: 290-419 (69.2%), 3061 yards, 28 TDs, 4 INTs

Most recent game: Win vs. Nevada, 41-23. 39-55 (70.9%), 487 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT

Analysis: All of his past immaturity issues seem to be behind him. He has made tremendous growth this season. Carr, the brother of 2002 first-overall pick David, is putting up huge numbers in his final season. He can make the big throws downfield and doesn't fade away as much as he used to. His accuracy becomes spotty on the shorter tosses and it will be a transition for him when he is asked to take snaps under center and read a defense, but the tools are there and he makes "wow" throws on a weekly basis.

Last week's ranking: No. 8

7. Tajh Boyd, Clemson

6-1, 225 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: Passing – 192-292 (65.8%), 2620 yards, 20 TDs, 6 INTs

Rushing – 100 carries, 194 yards, 7 TDs

Most recent game: Win at Maryland, 40-27. Passing – 24-29 (82.8%), 377 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT.

Rushing – 7 carries, minus 25 yards, 1 TD

Analysis: There is no player that has hurt his draft stock more this year than Boyd. Has he already reached his ceiling? He had a shaky outing against Florida State two weeks ago and looks nothing like the player he was in 2012. The size has always been a point of contention, but it's his spotty accuracy, sloppy footwork and locking in on targets that continue to plague him. The numbers were tremendous against Maryland this past weekend, but it will take a lot more than that to get his slipping stock to go back in a positive direction.

Last week's ranking: No. 6

8. A.J. McCarron, Alabama

6-4, 214 lbs., RS Senior

Yearly stats: 145-209 (69.4%), 1862 yards, 16 TDs, 3 INTs

Most recent game: Win vs. Tennessee, 45-10. 19-27 (70.4%), 275 yards, 2 TD, 0 INTs. [SIZE=1em]Had a Week 10 bye.[/SIZE]

Analysis: McCarron will be the most difficult quarterback in the class to evaluate. Is he as good as he's going to be? Is he a product of the team around him? Surrounded by some of college football's most talented players, McCarron could win another National Championship, but the winning doesn't always translate to the next level. His arm strength is still a concern and I think he's still too inaccurate on the deep throws. He is a solid, but not spectacular quarterback prospect that will hover around this ranking all year.

Last week's ranking: No. 7

9. Bryce Petty, Baylor

6-3, 230 lbs., RS Junior

Yearly stats: Passing – 122-176 (69.3%), 2453 yards, 18 TDs, 1 INT

Rushing – 28 carries, 73 yards, 6 TDs

Most recent game: Win at Kansas, 59-14. Passing – 20-32 (62.5%), 430 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT.

[SIZE=1em]Rushing – 4 carries, 22 yards, 1 TD. [/SIZE][SIZE=1em]Had a Week 10 bye.[/SIZE]

Analysis: Petty has followed in the footsteps of Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum and Robert Griffin III as protégé's of Baylor head coach Art Briles. Petty has burst onto the scene this year and has Baylor dreaming of a national title. This weekend will be a big test. The Sooners will provide more resistance than any other opponent yet. Petty has the size and throws the best deep in college football. He could continue his rise with a strong showing Thursday night.

Last week's ranking: No. 9

10. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

6-6, 257 lbs., Senior

Yearly stats: Passing – 167-300 (55.7%), 2056 yards, 11 TDs, 12 INTs

Rushing – 121 carries, 296 yards, 4 TDs

Most recent game: Loss at Boston College, 34-27. Passing –24-41 (58.5%), 391 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs.

Rushing – 20 carries, 38 yards, 0 TD.

Analysis: Many have soured on Thomas, including myself. I understand why. He has not become the player many expected. This year, he has more interceptions than touchdowns and still makes far too many critical errors. But Thomas, a former tight end, is still new to the position and Virginia Tech has been a mess the last few seasons. Whether it's been a lack of a running game, losing his receivers following a strong sophomore year or a change in coordinators, Thomas hasn't had much stability. Make no mistake, he still has a long ways to go, but he's not in the Top 10 because of who he is right now. He's on this list because of what he could become in the future if he finally develops. The arm strength and athleticism can't be taught. I think with better coaching, the talent can be brought out of him.

Last week's ranking: NA
As a comparison, here is nfl.com's and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks top-ten college quarterback list.

Note, this list was updated before last night's games were played.

Also Brooks does not label this a draft ranking list but just a list of his top COLLEGE QBs.

He has a guy from Florida State that Fedor doesn't have ranked, 'FAMOUS' Jameis Winston but I don't know anything about Jameis or his draft elligibility. This is a college QB ranking list, not an NFL 2014 draft QB prospect list. We know some great college QBs may not rate as NFL prospects but its interesting to see the two lists side-by-side.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000277660/article/qb-rankings-massive-matchups-ahead-for-top-signalcallers

QB rankings: Massive matchups ahead for top signal-callers
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Nov. 6, 2013 at 05:58 p.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 7, 2013 at 06:10 p.m
The college football season is reaching the tipping point, with several big games on the docket over the next few weeks. The performances of the quarterbacks is often the deciding factor in these matchups, providing evaluators with plenty of chances to see the top signal-callers perform in pressurized environments.

With a host of quarterbacks set to perform in rivalry games that will ultimately decide conference championships, let's take a look at how my quarterback tracker looks heading into Week 11:

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon

(Last week's rank: 1)

The Ducks have run roughshod over their opponents behind the stellar play of Mariota. The redshirt sophomore has accounted for 29 total touchdowns, while posting four 300-yard passing games and a pair of 100-yard games on the ground. Of course, the critics will suggest that the Ducks haven't played in a game that has tested Mariota's mettle under pressure, but this week's contest against Stanford will provide plenty of answers to those concerns about his big-game ability.

2. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

(Last week's rank: 2)

If the Aggies didn't drop a pair of games in SEC play, Manziel would be a lock to claim his second consecutive Heisman Trophy based on his sensational individual play. He has kept the Aggies in contests with his spectacular improvisational skills, while also showing off a vastly improved game from the pocket. Additionally, Manziel has displayed an incredible competitive zeal that allows him to keep the Aggies in games where they're clearly overmatched on the defensive side of the ball. With those factors in mind, I believe Manziel will make a serious push to become the first back-to-back Heisman Trophy winner since Archie Griffin in 1975.

3. Jameis Winston, Florida State

(Last week's rank: 3)

Winston didn't bring his A-game against Miami (Fla.), but still posted a 300-yard performance against the Hurricanes that showcased his immense talent and skill as a passer. Additionally, he displayed resiliency and unshakeable confidence by continuing to make high-risk throws after tossing a pair of interceptions early in the contest. Of course, the college football world will tune in to see how Winston bounces back from his poor performance this weekend, the NFL scouting community is already convinced the kid has the tools to be a great one down the road.

4. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

(Last week's rank: 4)

The buzz has quieted around Bridgewater since the Cardinals' surprising loss a few weeks ago, but NFL evaluators still view him as the top quarterback in the class. He displays all of the mental attributes that coaches covet in a franchise quarterback, while also possessing the arm talent, athleticism and pocket-passing skills to play in a traditional or unconventional offense at the next level. Although some scouts question his rail thin frame (6-foot-3, 196 pounds), it is important to note that Aaron Rodgers left Cal as a scrawny 6-2, 200-pound gunslinger. With a game that is nearly identical in every sense, it would be a mistake to dismiss Bridgewater's chances of becoming a star as a pro.

5. Derek Carr, Fresno State

(Last week's rank: 5)

Some will argue that Carr's remarkable numbers ring hollow due to the level of competition, but a close look at his play on tape reveals a talented gunslinger with an NFL-ready game. From his rock-steady confidence to his superior arm talent, Carr has all of the tools and intangibles to be a quality starter at the next level. Now, he must continue to display those traits down the stretch and in all-star games to cement his status as a potential top pick, but the Fresno State star is certainly on the rise in NFL circles.

6. AJ McCarron, Alabama

(Last week's rank: 6)

The dreaded "game manager" label has been attached to McCarron's name since guiding the Crimson Tide to back-to-back national titles, but astute observers see a polished quarterback with the skills to win games on the strength of his right arm. With the naysayers continuing to take a wait-and-see position on his game, McCarron can prove his worth as a big-time quarterback with a huge game against LSU this weekend.

7. Bryce Petty, Baylor

(Last week's rank: 8)

Skeptics are anxiously awaiting Baylor's Big 12 showdown with Oklahoma to see if the hype surrounding Petty's game is merited. The spunky junior has connected on 69.3 percent of his passes, while sporting a remarkable 19:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio on the season. Considering Petty has rarely played into the fourth quarter, those numbers are indicative of his terrific play at the position.

8. Tajh Boyd, Clemson

(Last week's rank: 9)

Boyd will end his career as the ACC's most prolific touchdown maker after pushing his total to 116 (93 passing and 23 rushing) with a four-touchdown effort against Virginia. He continues to torment opponents with his versatile game, while impressing scouts with his mastery of the Tigers' fast-paced offense. Although he must play better in Clemson's next big game (against South Carolina) to squelch some of the concerns about his ability to play on a big stage, Boyd has certainly earned the right to be considered one of the top quarterbacks in college football.

9. Braxton Miller, Ohio State

(Last week's rank: 10)

Miller's early-season injury wiped out his Heisman Trophy chances, but hardcore college football fans should pay close attention to his developing game as a dual-threat playmaker. The Buckeyes' star is completing more than 72 percent of his passes with a 15:3 touchdown-to-interception ratio in seven starts. Additionally, he has totaled 410 rushing yards on 87 attempts with a couple of scores. While those numbers don't jump off the stat sheet when compared to some of Miller's more notable colleagues, the fact that he has made major strides as a passer makes the Buckeyes' offense far more dangerous than last year's version.

10. Brett Hundley, UCLA

(Last week's rank: 11)

After a pair of disappointing performances, Hundley got back on track by torching Colorado for 345 yards of total offense (273 pass yards and 72 rush yards) with four combined touchdowns. Most importantly, he showed the confidence and swagger that piqued the interest of NFL scouts searching for a potential franchise quarterback down the road.

=================================

One guy who is ranked on Fedor's list is Mettenberger who was Bucky Brooks 13th ranked college QB

=================================

13. Zach Mettenberger, LSU

(Last week's rank: 12)

After a sizzling start, Mettenberger has cooled a little bit over the past few weeks. He has put up a few disappointing starts (he has thrown five interceptions in his previous two games after having just two picks in the season's first seven games), but he has the opportunity to make major waves in NFL circles with a big performance against Alabama. With Nick Saban known for testing the football acumen of quarterbacks with his complex coverage and exotic pre-snap disguises, Mettenberger will showcase his skills to scouts in an NFL-like contest.

I don't see how the UCF loss hurt Bridgewater. He was 29/38 for 341 yards and 2 TDs with no picks. Louisville's defense just got destroyed. I still think he's the #1 QB in this class.

I don't see how the UCF loss hurt Bridgewater. He was 29/38 for 341 yards and 2 TDs with no picks. Louisville's defense just got destroyed. I still think he's the #1 QB in this class.
he blatantly missed some throws he has to make and missed a couple of key blitzes. Same thing happened the week before. Bowl game is going to be important for him, I hope he draws a good defensive team.

Both Mary Kay Cabot and Tony Grossi addressed drafting a rookie QB in next year's draft and they both agree that the play of both Hoyer and Cambell have taken the edge off of paying too-high of a price to land a quarterback in next year's draft but both believe we will get a developmental QB in next year's draft with a high pick.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/11/will_the_cleveland_browns_stil.html

By

Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter
on November 09, 2013 at 5:37 PM, updated November 09, 2013 at 5:58 PM

CLEVELAND -- This week's edition of Hey Mary Kay! includes whether or not the Browns will still draft a quarterback in the first round and my take on the Jonathan Martin saga in Miami.

Hey, Mary Kay:

Hi. My question is, with two quarterbacks who can play well and after getting rid of Brandon Weeden next year, in what round or with what pick do you see a quarterback being drafted? Also do you think we will address the running back position in the draft? If so what round?

- Justin Coulter, Austintown, Ohio

Hey Justin:

I still see the Browns looking hard at a quarterback in the first round, because Brian Hoyer is coming off a torn ACL and Jason Campbell will be 32 in December. I still think the Browns need to determine if their quarterback of the future is in this draft class. But the play of Hoyer and Campbell has taken the pressure of for having to draft one with their first pick in the round one. If they see a good developmental quarterback in round two or three, they could always go that route and let Hoyer and Campbell battle it out for the starting job in 2014. I do think they will add a running back, but probably not until the third or fourth round.
http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=18&post_id=24601

Hey Tony

Nov 09, 2013 -- 6:00pm

The bye week caused readers of Hey Tony to return to questions about the 2014 draft, particularly how the Browns will reassess the quarterback position in response to the good showings of Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer. Some are convinced the team’s two first-round selections should be devoted to other positions of need.

Hey Tony:

I understand the logic of selecting a future franchise quarterback in the 2014 draft. What I worry about is that even given all of their other needs the Browns will essentially give away their entire draft to trade up and select a quarterback. My question is: can Jason Campbell do anything during the rest of the season so that the Browns, even though they might still use their top pick on a quarterback, will not sell all out to trade up to take one?

-- Paul, Crescent Springs, KY

Hey Paul:

My hunch is that Brian Hoyer already has done enough to dissuade the Browns from mortgaging the future on a quarterback prospect. I still believe they will use their top pick on one – at this time. But I believe that Hoyer’s strong performance in two complete games reassured the Brown that they don’t have to rush in a rookie quarterback or trade the farm for one – especially since none stands out as a “can’t miss” at present. Where Campbell fits in may be decided over the next seven games.

Everyone can speculate about what they will do. What is certain, to me anyway, is that their first 1st round pick will not be in the top 10. That will make it harder to move up in the draft. I have been thinking that the guy they will want at QB won't be the consensus #1 or #2 guy and will be available in the teens, twenties, or even the 2nd round. Only time will tell.

LB Quentin Groves.

Lost for season, placed on IR.

Jeff Schudel‏@jsbrownsinsider31m

#Browns LB Quentin Groves is headed to injured reserve and will have surgery on his ankle. Chud says Jason Campbell (ribs) is full go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/11/browns-lose-quentin-groves-for-season/

Browns lose Quentin Groves for seasonPosted by Michael David Smith on November 11, 2013, 12:48 PM EST

The Browns’ pass rush will take a hit with outside linebacker Quentin Groves out for the rest of the season.

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski confirmed today that Groves needs ankle surgery and will be placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Groves followed defensive coordinator Ray Horton from Arizona to Cleveland this offseason, and he got off to a good start and had a sack in Week One. But in Week Two he suffered the ankle injury that has plagued him throughout the year.

Now Groves’s season has come to an end, with a stat line consisting of just four total tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble.

Roll. With. Hoyer.

Get that o-line beefed up and go 10-6 next season.

remember this.

If they could somehow get Ben Tate... they could seriously be a scary ### team

Users who are viewing this thread