What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (3 Viewers)

You guys give yourselves a fighting chance @ CIN in week 11?

Most of the people left in my survivor pool will be forced to take the Bengals, as it's a very tough week. (I still have Denver available). It would be a great day if the Brownies could knock off their in-state rival. You gotta figure that Haden can somewhat neutralize A.J., and Cincy is very depleted on defense. So I think there's a good shot.
Hey RN,

Saw your post in another thread about your pool and wanted to pass along some numbers for you.

- Bengals are 4-0 at home this year. (Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, and the Jets, so they've taken-down some good teams)

- Browns are 1-3 on the road this year (lone win against the 2-7 Minnesota Vikings)

- AFC North teams are 6-0 at home and ofcourse 0-6 on the road this year.

- Jason Cambell has played in the NFL 9 years and he's never had a three-game stretch where he's thown more than one TD in his entire career.

Go to link for chart.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/76238/is-this-jason-campbells-two-game-zenith

Is this Jason Campbell's two-game zenith?

The question has been raised whether Jason Campbell is playing the best quarterback of his career.

It’s a bit of an odd question, given Campbell has just started two games and two games is hardly a trend.

But these are the Cleveland Browns in the discussion so any positive stat in a storm will do.

And the case can indeed be made that Campbell is indeed playing the best quarterback of his career.

The key number: The NFL’s quixotic passer rating number, which for the past two games is 110.9.

That’s higher than any other two-game stretch in his career.

The key: Campbell has not thrown an interception as a starter. In a two-game stretch in Washington in 2009, he had more yards, a higher yards per attempt and five TDs -- but he also threw an interception.

One oddity about these two-game streaks that may reflect as much on the teams Campbell played for as anything: He never won both games.

But in a purely subjective analysis, the case can indeed be made that these are the best two games of Campbell’s career.

With another good game, Campbell could even set the best three-game mark of his career. In 2007 in Washington, he threw for 820 yards, seven touchdowns and three interceptions. His rating in those games: 97.1. His team’s record: 1-2.

So ... yes ... the Cleveland Browns can say they are getting Jason Campbell at the apex of his career.
Here is one stat you will like:

- CB Joe Haden: The fourth-year player is the division’s top shutdown corner. Facing the top receiver every game, Haden has limited them to 25 receptions for 150 yards and no touchdowns. In the Browns’ last game, Haden got his first interception of the season. In the Week 4 game at Cleveland, Haden held A.J. Green to seven receptions for 51 yards.

The Bengals lost DT Geon Atkins and their starting CB, forgot his name, but since the first game in Cleveland where the Browns had Brian Hoyer (lost to IR) as the starting QB where Brian was utilizing TE Jordan Cameron and the Browns had KR Travis Benjamin (lost to IR).

So both teams have been dinged by injuries.

I'm sure many Browns fans are psyched just to be playing a meaningful game mid-November but Brown/Bengal games are hard to predict.

I'm not sure what to expect but I hope for a good game.

Back to your elimination pool.

It would make sense that the majority of the people left would be contrarians who look to go against the trends so now the people in your pool are probably of a risk taker mindset.

A change in strategy to go risk-averse for awhile to shake-out the risk takers might be in order but its your call.

Good luck especially if you go with the Browns this week. :thumbup:

Those are some mammoth video screens in the stadium modernization proposal.

The escalators are a huge upgrade IMO. If you have been to a game, you will know.

... former NFL scout Bucky Brooks top-ten college quarterback list.

... Brooks does not label this a draft ranking list but just a list of his top COLLEGE QBs.

He has a guy from Florida State that Fedor doesn't have ranked, 'FAMOUS' Jameis Winston but I don't know anything about Jameis or his draft elligibility. This is a college QB ranking list, not an NFL 2014 draft QB prospect list. We know some great college QBs may not rate as NFL prospects but its interesting to see the two lists side-by-side.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000277660/article/qb-rankings-massive-matchups-ahead-for-top-signalcallers

QB rankings: Massive matchups ahead for top signal-callers
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Nov. 6, 2013 at 05:58 p.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 7, 2013 at 06:10 p.m
The college football season is reaching the tipping point, with several big games on the docket over the next few weeks. The performances of the quarterbacks is often the deciding factor in these matchups, providing evaluators with plenty of chances to see the top signal-callers perform in pressurized environments.

With a host of quarterbacks set to perform in rivalry games that will ultimately decide conference championships, let's take a look at how my quarterback tracker looks heading into Week 11:

3. Jameis Winston, Florida State

(Last week's rank: 3)

Winston didn't bring his A-game against Miami (Fla.), but still posted a 300-yard performance against the Hurricanes that showcased his immense talent and skill as a passer. Additionally, he displayed resiliency and unshakeable confidence by continuing to make high-risk throws after tossing a pair of interceptions early in the contest. Of course, the college football world will tune in to see how Winston bounces back from his poor performance this weekend, the NFL scouting community is already convinced the kid has the tools to be a great one down the road.
Unfortunately 'Famous' got a lil IN-Famous recently.

I really don't care for these stories so go to the link.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/13/jameis-winston-florida-state-quarterback-investigated-sexual-assault/print

Florida State QB Jameis Winston Investigated for Sexual AssaultOriginally posted Nov 13th 2013 3:07 PM PST by TMZ Staff

So let's see if I've got this straight.

You draft McCoy and bail on him for 28 year old Weeden.

You burn a first round pick overdrafting Weeden and then bail on him for a journeyman NFL QB.

I beginning to think you put P. Manning in Clev and he has a night like he had tonight the Browns bail on him for Cassel.

I hope the Browns do us a favor and trade Gordan and Jordan.

So let's see if I've got this straight.

You draft McCoy and bail on him for 28 year old Weeden.

You burn a first round pick overdrafting Weeden and then bail on him for a journeyman NFL QB.
Weeden was Holmgren's boy. He is long gone. Different regime now. So far so good. They will draft at least 1 qb in 2014 but not necessarily in the 1st round. They have 7 picks in rounds 1-4. Give them a chance before they screw up. They haven't yet.

Morten Andersen
Steve Atwater
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Don Coryell
Roger Craig
Terrell Davis
Edward DeBartolo, Jr.
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Joe Jacoby
Jimmy Johnson
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Karl Mecklenburg
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Paul Tagliabue
Aeneas Williams
Steve Wisniewski
George Young

Best top 25 I've seen in years.
:violin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice gesture to honor former Browns great Mike McCormick.

Look for the 'MM' helmet decal this Sunday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1859580-steelers-vs-browns-breaking-down-clevelands-game-plan

Beginning the game, the Browns will honor the late Mike McCormack, who passed away Friday morning at the age of 83, by wearing a helmet decal with his initials for the remainder of the season. McCormack played offensive tackle for the Browns from 1954-62 and was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1984.

Hullo Browns fans, any observations on Campbell's play and the hopes for a good FF matchup and performance vs the Steelers?

I have felt positive about Hoyer's and Campbell's ability to do well in Turner's offense. Campbell had (in my view) FF-wise two good games, followed by a poor game last week - but Gordon still did well.

I saw some of the BAL game, I thought Campbell did well, especially the lack of mistakes.

Any thoughts on whether you'd view the PIT game as a good start? Weather any concern?

Thanks.

Generally pull for the Browns, good luck, hope you guys make the playoffs.

Hullo Browns fans, any observations on Campbell's play and the hopes for a good FF matchup and performance vs the Steelers?

I have felt positive about Hoyer's and Campbell's ability to do well in Turner's offense. Campbell had (in my view) FF-wise two good games, followed by a poor game last week - but Gordon still did well.

I saw some of the BAL game, I thought Campbell did well, especially the lack of mistakes.

Any thoughts on whether you'd view the PIT game as a good start? Weather any concern?

Thanks.

Generally pull for the Browns, good luck, hope you guys make the playoffs.
I think the weather is the main concern I'd have. It just started snowing here, not sure how much accumulation we're due but I don't think alot. The high is supposed to be in the mid/lower 20's tomorrow. It may just be real cold and windy. Depends on your other fantasy options. I expect a lower scoring game.

Windchill will be single digits, Campbell didn't look all that comfortable in suboptimal conditions last week.

We need our defense and special teams to win this week. Big Ben loves this weather. Should be under the number regardless.

Well, at least we have new coaches and systems (again).

2012 -- suspect QB ... 2013 -- suspect QB

2012 -- poor OGs ... 2013 -- poor OGs

2012 -- suspect WRs ... 2013 suspect WRs

2012 -- zero RB depth ... 2013 zero RB depth

2012 -- Good defensive front 7 ... 2013 better defensive front 7

2012 -- Holes in the secondary ... 2013 Holes in the secondary
Skrine looked good again. Good job in the off-season, Mr. Banner! Thank God for Mingo, et al.

Skrine looked good again. Good job in the off-season, Mr. Banner! Thank God for Mingo, et al.
with good QB play, this is a playoff team. they will stay the course and this will be a damn good team over the next 4-5 years if they can find a good QB.

oh, and btw, this draft was generally panned as a mediocre to sub-standard draft by most people in the know.

so i'm not understanding how they were supposed to vastly improve the team in one off-season.

while i'm at it, Heckart did a good job, and Savage did OK before him before he got desperate.

Holmgren screwed this team by drafting Weeden.

McCoy and Quinn were also awful.

but this team overall has been slowly getting better.

they will be a playoff team just as soon as they get a good QB.

with good QB play, this is a playoff team.they will stay the course and this will be a damn good team over the next 4-5 years if they can find a good QB.
:goodposting:

Yesterday's game was the swing game, do I want us to lose out or battle? It's lose out now. Being in the thick of a playoff race in December benefits a team, so if we won yesterday I wanted to see us beat Jax then see how we handle a meaningful game in Foxboro and then home vs. a tough Bears team. With yesterday's loss, the suddenly heating up Jags can come in here and beat us up. That'd be fine, especially if Weeden is playing. I know I won't be watching. Conceivable we lose out from there. Maximize our chances at a franchise QB. Next year we get to the door step of the playoffs, hopefully we bust down the door and inevitably lose round 1, but if we just get to the final week or two that'd be a success. 2015 though, that's the year. That's the year it all really starts to come together.

So, as it turns out you all were right in me over reacting to the Weeden pick. It wasn't five wasted years, it was just two...maybe three. He was even worse than I thought he'd be. Somehow.

oh, and btw, this draft was generally panned as a mediocre to sub-standard draft by most people in the know.

so i'm not understanding how they were supposed to vastly improve the team in one off-season.
IMO, you address your deficiencies.

amnesiac said:
daveR said:

with what?who were they supposed to draft?
once I got their approach I understood what they were doing, but given the wr depth in this class I am surprised we didn't try to get one day two. A lot of good ones. Last draft was never about this season, whether the fans like it or not. This was always a play for next year.

Much like the skins thread, I see this one has fallen to page four. As usual this time of year, nothing really left to talk about. Another dismal season of futility. Ugh.

once I got their approach I understood what they were doing, but given the wr depth in this class I am surprised we didn't try to get one day two. A lot of good ones. Last draft was never about this season, whether the fans like it or not. This was always a play for next year.
drafting a day two receiver may have been a good idea, but i still don't see how that would've significantly improved the team THIS year.

drafting a day two receiver may have been a good idea, but i still don't see how that would've significantly improved the team THIS year.
umm, Keenan Allen?

MAC_32 said:

umm, Keenan Allen?
no offense, but what's San Diego's record?i was really just trying to point out that daver was being unrealistic.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really hoping to see Derek Carr under center next year.
i haven't looked at the incoming rookies yet.what do you like about Carr?

also, i don't recall seeing you in this thread before, welcome aboard.
Thanks...moved to the Cleveland area from Philly last year, adopted the Browns as my second team.

Carr has great pocket presence, a rocket arm, and probably the quickest release out of any QB in this draft. He also appears to be the most pro-ready (next to Teddy) and could come in and immediately take advantage of defenses when paired with Gordon. Just take a look at his stats this year...45 TDs to 5 INTs, completing 70.3% of his passes with an 8.1 YPA for a total of 4462 yards. I know Fresno State plays in the Mountain West, but the competition Teddy plays in the AAC isn't any better and he's the consensus top QB in the draft.

Carr's value is right, too...very possible for the Browns to sit tight with their 2 1st round picks, take either Jake Matthews or Sammy Watkins with the 1st pick, then take Carr with the 2nd. Everything you want in a franchise QB is there and he would be a great fit with what the Browns already have on offense.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really hoping to see Derek Carr under center next year.
i haven't looked at the incoming rookies yet.what do you like about Carr?

also, i don't recall seeing you in this thread before, welcome aboard.
Thanks...moved to the Cleveland area from Philly last year, adopted the Browns as my second team.Carr has great pocket presence, a rocket arm, and probably the quickest release out of any QB in this draft. He also appears to be the most pro-ready (next to Teddy) and could come in and immediately take advantage of defenses when paired with Gordon. Just take a look at his stats this year...45 TDs to 5 INTs, completing 70.3% of his passes with an 8.1 YPA for a total of 4462 yards. I know Fresno State plays in the Mountain West, but the competition Teddy plays in the AAC isn't any better and he's the consensus top QB in the draft.

Carr's value is right, too...very possible for the Browns to sit tight with their 2 1st round picks, take either Jake Matthews or Sammy Watkins with the 1st pick, then take Carr with the 2nd. Everything you want in a franchise QB is there and he would be a great fit with what the Browns already have on offense.
quickest release, huh?this offense was humming with Hoyer under center getting the ball out quickly.

i'll have to check out his film when i get time.

He's right about the release, but I don't see a rocket arm. Less important anyway. He doesn't go down field enough for my liking, but he is the exact opposite of his brother in the pocket.

I think he us a top ten pick by April though.

He's right about the release, but I don't see a rocket arm. Less important anyway. He doesn't go down field enough for my liking, but he is the exact opposite of his brother in the pocket.

Browns are most likely picking top ten. think he might be their guy?

Browns are most likely picking top ten. think he might be their guy?
If his stock raises enough to force the Browns to use their top-10 pick on him...I still think they should go for him. He really looks like their guy to me.

Here's a video of his game against Nevada this year. First play is a trick play, but you can see the arm strength I'm talking about once he throws it down the field...the ball travels almost 60 yards in the air. You can also see that when Carr misses his receivers, he's still putting the ball in a spot where only his receiver can get it...very clean back shoulder throws, nice jump ball placement. His biggest knock is that he runs almost exclusively out of the shotgun because of Fresno State's offense...but with his poise in the pocket, quick release, and good looking footwork when he scrambles, I don't think he'll have trouble transitioning to taking snaps under center. Check it out, see what you think: http://youtu.be/MFtuTb9OYZI

nice fade to the corner of the endzone.

Cameron can catch that all day long.

haven't seen Weeden make that throw.

video quality was bad on my phone.

but he does look like he's got a quick release.

i feel like the Browns really need a good possession receiver/move the chains/good hands guy if they roll with someone like Carr or Hoyer.

i feel like the Browns really need a good possession receiver/move the chains/good hands guy if they roll with someone like Carr or Hoyer.
They need a WR2...period. I'm tired of seeing Little drop passes.

yeah, Little didn't work out. i've been really disappointed with Bess, really thought he would help this team.

second first round pick, mike Evans or Allen Robinson.
Would be great if Mike Evans was there...but I think he's going in the 1st now. Like Robinson over Jordan Matthews and Odell Beckham?

Would be great if Mike Evans was there...but I think he's going in the 1st now. Like Robinson over Jordan Matthews and Odell Beckham?
we have two round one picks.I like Robinson and Matthews more than either lsu wr. Both good though. A lot of good wide receivers in this class.

we have two round one picks.I like Robinson and Matthews more than either lsu wr. Both good though. A lot of good wide receivers in this class.
My bad, I misread your comment. Evans would be my top choice, but if Donte Moncrief declares for the 2014 draft, I'd love to see the Browns go after him...he makes tough catches, isn't afraid of contact, and would just be a huge weapon for the passing game.

The Browns won the game but the fix was in so the best of both words. We basically won in New England and we get a better first round pick.

Bucs won today so I think we move-up one spot.

I have absolutely no idea who we might draft at this point.

Nice to see Kruger and Barkevious Mingo getting sacks today.

Also Jason Cambell looked very-good. The ribs and concussion seemed to be the reason why he struggled against Cincy and Pittsburgh. With Hoyer and Cambell it does take the edge off of overpaying to move-up for a QB if the front office isn't entirely sold on anyone.

Josh Gordon opens the field up for Jordan Cameron and Cambell has better touch and placement for the underneath patterns. Hoyer really clicked with Cameron before Josh blew up and now Cambell is developing chemistry with him.

I'm not sure how badly Willis McGahee's concussion is but if he's out then we are going t have to put the ball up a lot to move the ball.

I've seen a couple recent mock drafts that have Cleveland ending up with Blake Bortles (QB from UCF) as one of their 1st round selections. Personally, I think that would be a terrible selection for the Browns...Bortles did contribute to UCF's strong season, but his numbers weren't eye-popping and his release is so, so slow. He strikes me as a project QB and one that will likely never reach that "elite" status that you're hoping for when you take a QB in the 1st. One mock I saw actually had Bortles being selected by the Browns over Manziel, and that's just ridiculous IMO...I'm not the biggest fan of Johnny Football, but there's no way he should be passed over for Bortles.

Still really hoping that things just fall in the right place and CLE is able to take Derek Carr, but what do you guys think of this Bortles kid?

EDIT: Spelling.

So on a lighter note, Rizzo got arrested for domestic violence on Friday. Well done Riz!
Apparently he was reaaaaaaallly upset over that loss.

Sad thought, I actually like the Really Big Show, mostly just for when they bring Windy on.

Users who are viewing this thread