What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2010 Atlanta Falcons team thread*** (1 Viewer)

PatrickT

Footballguy
Been meaning to start this thread for awhile, I guess the start of free agency is as good a time as any. Bring your Falcons discussion and questions for homers here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunta Robinson signs 6 year deal

This probably represents 80% of our free agency, and Dimitroff has now made a move that frees him up to address the front 7. Personally, I think Weatherspoon might be near the top of our board at #19. I had thought we might go DE in FA, but looks like that will be addressed in the draft.

More than I would've liked, but about what I expected. I think it's a good deal for us, if he is the player they obviously think he is.

How do you feel about it, as a Texans homer?

Just adding this as housekeeping to the thread. Chime in Falcon homers!

Now official, Houston goes to Detroit for a 6th and swap of 5ths (2nd and 18th). Kinda cheap for a former second rounder, but I doubt we had anyone beating down the door. I wish him well in Detroit.

Link

I'm not so sure you won't see the Falcons address the OL with the first pick. They are, hopefully, getting Jerry back so that's like another 1st round pick this year.

If the do go D I'd like to see them draft Anderson's replacement at DE.

And no 2nd round pick either --- yet.

I strongly suspect he'll package something to get back in the second. It's possible, I know that DOL has predicted Pouncey, and we do need a future replacement for McClure, but that playmaking WILL backer will be too good to pass up.

Tye Hill experiment over

Only cost a 7th rounder, and was certainly worth a shot, but apparently he couldn't cut it. They also sigend S Matt Giordano, formerly of the Colts and Packers. Not sure if he's special teams depth, or a sign that Coleman's days might be numbered.

Now official, Houston goes to Detroit for a 6th and swap of 5ths (2nd and 18th). Kinda cheap for a former second rounder, but I doubt we had anyone beating down the door. I wish him well in Detroit.

Link
thanks to llov80s from lions threadhttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-chris-houston/

The Falcons announced that, in exchange, they'd receive Detroit's sixth-round pick in the 2010 draft, along with a swap of fifth-round selections.

A league source tells us, however, that the ultimate price was even lower than that.

Per the source, the Lions ultimately gave up a sixth-round pick this year and a conditional seventh-round pick in 2011. The swap of fifth-round selections has been scuttled.

So what happened? According to a separate source, the Lions contacted the Falcons and said that Houston could not pass the physical imposed by Lions' doctors. We're told that the Lions also said that perhaps Houston could pass the physical if the terms of the deal were adjusted.

And so the terms of the deal were adjusted, and Houston passed the physical.

Link
thanks to llov80s from lions threadhttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-chris-houston/

The Falcons announced that, in exchange, they'd receive Detroit's sixth-round pick in the 2010 draft, along with a swap of fifth-round selections.

A league source tells us, however, that the ultimate price was even lower than that.

Per the source, the Lions ultimately gave up a sixth-round pick this year and a conditional seventh-round pick in 2011. The swap of fifth-round selections has been scuttled.

So what happened? According to a separate source, the Lions contacted the Falcons and said that Houston could not pass the physical imposed by Lions' doctors. We're told that the Lions also said that perhaps Houston could pass the physical if the terms of the deal were adjusted.

And so the terms of the deal were adjusted, and Houston passed the physical.
Of course, he couldn't pass the physical, he's incapable of turning his head. I'll be here all ze veek.Heard about that, but not the details about the physical. Sounds like we REALLY didn't want him, and the Lions were playing hardball, be interesting to see how he pans out there.

Anybody have any thoughts about the dynasty value of Harry Douglas? I picked him up as a small part of a trade in a 16 team PPR league.

I look at him as a "hold" because I don't think anyone would give me much for him and I'm intrigued enough to see if he can be the #2 WR in terms of FF production for the Falcons. I realize that, at best, he'll be Atlanta's #4 option this year but situations change and he's only 25.

We have pretty deep rosters and we can start 3-5 WRs so somewhere between 48 and 80 are in lineups every week. I would say 60 is a pretty safe estimate as an average.

Anybody have any thoughts about the dynasty value of Harry Douglas? I picked him up as a small part of a trade in a 16 team PPR league.I look at him as a "hold" because I don't think anyone would give me much for him and I'm intrigued enough to see if he can be the #2 WR in terms of FF production for the Falcons. I realize that, at best, he'll be Atlanta's #4 option this year but situations change and he's only 25.We have pretty deep rosters and we can start 3-5 WRs so somewhere between 48 and 80 are in lineups every week. I would say 60 is a pretty safe estimate as an average.
Harry will go into camp as the number 3 guy, and it would not shock me at all if he beat out Jenkins at #2. Even if not, the Falcons front office is VERY high on Douglas, and has been mentioned specifically by Dimitroff as being used in a Welker type role. I could easily see him outperforming Jenkins.

PatrickT said:
Anybody have any thoughts about the dynasty value of Harry Douglas? I picked him up as a small part of a trade in a 16 team PPR league.I look at him as a "hold" because I don't think anyone would give me much for him and I'm intrigued enough to see if he can be the #2 WR in terms of FF production for the Falcons. I realize that, at best, he'll be Atlanta's #4 option this year but situations change and he's only 25.We have pretty deep rosters and we can start 3-5 WRs so somewhere between 48 and 80 are in lineups every week. I would say 60 is a pretty safe estimate as an average.
Harry will go into camp as the number 3 guy, and it would not shock me at all if he beat out Jenkins at #2. Even if not, the Falcons front office is VERY high on Douglas, and has been mentioned specifically by Dimitroff as being used in a Welker type role. I could easily see him outperforming Jenkins.
how is harry's run blocking? that's one of the real virtues of jenkins on the field.

PatrickT said:
how is harry's run blocking? that's one of the real virtues of jenkins on the field.
I don't know that I've seen enough to know, but that's a great observation. That is certainly something the front office looks for in a WR.

PatrickT said:
Finneran and Jenkins are some of the best downfield blockers in the pros...I'm still tapping the brakes on Douglas.....

:thumbup: New dynasty BURNER owner.
Unnoticed stat last year for Turner: 1/2 season, 800+ yards, 10 TDs. His slow start made people forget about him.Excellent pickup.
Oh, I noticed that. And I'll be targetting him in our auction as well. He's fantasy gold when healthy and Snelling is a nice backup where the dropoff in production isn't too steep. I'm trying to acquire Snelling from another owner now.

As an FYI, Pat Yasinskas, ESPN's NFC South blogger has also been high on Harry Douglas, and hasn't been shy in talking about how much Dimitroff likes him. This is from the on-line chat

Jeff in Atlanta writes: Do you see Harry Douglas coming back and having a breakout season? I know he's anxious to come back and produce, especially because he sat out all year in 09. Do you think that his year off will help or hurt his development?Pat Yasinskas: Thomas Dimitroff told me the other day at the owners meeting that Douglas is doing well in his rehab and is expected to be at full health in time for the start of the season. I see no reason why he can’t have a big impact this year. The Falcons were really excited about him after he showed so much promise as a rookie and had big plans for him before he got hurt in training camp last year. I know Douglas a little bit and he’s a very competitive and positive guy. I’m sure he’s working hard to get healthy and I think you’ll see a good amount of him in the upcoming season.
I've put in an email to him asking him about the pass blocking question.

Pat responded to my question on Douglas' blocking.

Patrick in Atlanta writes: Someone brought up a great question on Harry Douglas. If he is going to take over Michael Jenkin's #2 spot, he'd better be a good downfield blocker. Can you speak to that aspect of his game? How'd the surgery go?Pat Yasinskas: Good question, because the blocking aspect is part of the equation here. Say what you want about Jenkins as a No. 2 receiver, but his blocking is very good and that’s part of the reason he’s on the field. With Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez on the field, the Falcons don’t need Jenkins to put up huge numbers as a receiver, but they value his blocking very much. Douglas did fine with his surgery and is coming along well with his recovery. General manager Thomas Dimitroff said Douglas will be ready for the season. But I think you’ll see him as the No. 3 receiver and he’ll get playing time in the slot. That might be the role Douglas is best suited for. His size doesn’t make him an ideal blocker.

Patrick in Atlanta writes: Someone brought up a great question on Harry Douglas. If he is going to take over Michael Jenkin's #2 spot, he'd better be a good downfield blocker. Can you speak to that aspect of his game? How'd the surgery go?Pat Yasinskas: Good question, because the blocking aspect is part of the equation here. Say what you want about Jenkins as a No. 2 receiver, but his blocking is very good and that’s part of the reason he’s on the field. With Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez on the field, the Falcons don’t need Jenkins to put up huge numbers as a receiver, but they value his blocking very much. Douglas did fine with his surgery and is coming along well with his recovery. General manager Thomas Dimitroff said Douglas will be ready for the season. But I think you’ll see him as the No. 3 receiver and he’ll get playing time in the slot. That might be the role Douglas is best suited for. His size doesn’t make him an ideal blocker.
that's cool.where do we think Turner is gonna be going in redrafts? Does fbg update their mocks at all pre-NFL draft?

that's cool.where do we think Turner is gonna be going in redrafts? Does fbg update their mocks at all pre-NFL draft?
I've got him in the first round personally.

Patrick in Atlanta writes: Someone brought up a great question on Harry Douglas. If he is going to take over Michael Jenkin's #2 spot, he'd better be a good downfield blocker. Can you speak to that aspect of his game? How'd the surgery go?Pat Yasinskas: Good question, because the blocking aspect is part of the equation here. Say what you want about Jenkins as a No. 2 receiver, but his blocking is very good and thats part of the reason hes on the field. With Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez on the field, the Falcons dont need Jenkins to put up huge numbers as a receiver, but they value his blocking very much. Douglas did fine with his surgery and is coming along well with his recovery. General manager Thomas Dimitroff said Douglas will be ready for the season. But I think youll see him as the No. 3 receiver and hell get playing time in the slot. That might be the role Douglas is best suited for. His size doesnt make him an ideal blocker.
If Douglas is on the field as a slot guy that means that Ovie Mughelli is not. Ovie is the best blocking back in the league, so while that gives the offense versatility, in the Falcons run-first scheme Ovie is likely to be see a lot more snaps. Failing a change in offensive philosophy Douglas' short term value is likely to be limited. There have certainly been indications Atlanta could look to put more of the offense in Ryans hands as well as rumblings of dissatisfaction with Jenkins- including the pursuit of a couple of middling free agents

Patrick in Atlanta writes: Someone brought up a great question on Harry Douglas. If he is going to take over Michael Jenkin's #2 spot, he'd better be a good downfield blocker. Can you speak to that aspect of his game? How'd the surgery go?Pat Yasinskas: Good question, because the blocking aspect is part of the equation here. Say what you want about Jenkins as a No. 2 receiver, but his blocking is very good and thats part of the reason hes on the field. With Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez on the field, the Falcons dont need Jenkins to put up huge numbers as a receiver, but they value his blocking very much. Douglas did fine with his surgery and is coming along well with his recovery. General manager Thomas Dimitroff said Douglas will be ready for the season. But I think youll see him as the No. 3 receiver and hell get playing time in the slot. That might be the role Douglas is best suited for. His size doesnt make him an ideal blocker.
If Douglas is on the field as a slot guy that means that Ovie Mughelli is not. Ovie is the best blocking back in the league, so while that gives the offense versatility, in the Falcons run-first scheme Ovie is likely to be see a lot more snaps. Failing a change in offensive philosophy Douglas' short term value is likely to be limited. There have certainly been indications Atlanta could look to put more of the offense in Ryans hands as well as rumblings of dissatisfaction with Jenkins- including the pursuit of a couple of middling free agents
I don't think you need a full blown change in philosophy to utilize Douglas more right away. I think the staff is aware that they played it too close to the vest last year, and need to open the playbook wider to Ryan, letting him get the ball downfield more, and I anticipate them starting off with that right away. Falcons also run a lot of one back sets anyway, so I don't think that will impact Douglas that greatly.

Heard the other day Buck Balue saying that Matt Ryan was lobbying for the flacons to go get Matt Tennant, his old center from Boston College. Fits a need, and obviously they already have a great rapport, :shrug:

His scouting report

Draft Scout Matt Tennant News

03/28/10 - TOP RATED NFL DRAFT SCOUT CENTERS: Matt Tennant, Boston College, 6-5, 300, 2-3: Tennant will be the latest in a long line of offensive linemen Boston College has sent to the NFL, where 11 former Eagles linemen were on rosters last season. Tennant, a standout since becoming first string as a redshirt sophomore, started the last 41 games at center and yielded an assisted sack in his last 27 appearances. He seems lanky for a center, and NFL teams will probably want him to add more mass. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com/CBS Sports/USA TODAY

03/18/10 - PRO DAY RESULTS: Representatives from 14 teams who planned on watching only Boston College’s pro day got more than what they bargained for, as snow forced the Eagles’ prospects to hold their workout at nearby Harvard, which included even more prospects. In all, 31 athletes (12 from BC and 19 from other smaller schools) worked out for the NFL contingent on FieldTurf. Boston College center Matt Tennant (6-foot-4 3/8, 296 pounds) got measured and did position drills only. He stood by his combine numbers. – Gil Brandt, NFL.com

03/11/10 - Due to a maintenance project on the turf at Alumni Stadium, BC's NFL Pro Day had to be moved to the practice bubble at Harvard Stadium on Thursday. Many NFL evaluators were on hand from the New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, and New Orleans Saints to watch the best that BC has to offer from the past and the present. The list of current BC players who worked out included Steve Aponavicius, Marcellus Bowman, Austin Giles, Rich Gunnell, Justin Jarvis, Mike McLaughlin, Roderick Rollins, Nick Rossi, Jeff Smith, and Matt Tennant. Several former BC players were on hand to tryout in front of the NFL scouts including Kevin Akins, AJ Brooks, Brandon Robinson, Razzie Smith, and Brian Toal. They weren't the only former BC players there though as there was also a contingent of former players who watched the workouts to support their former teammates.B.J. Raji and Jamie Silva were the most notable of that group. In addition to the BC players, 18 players from area colleges attended the event to workout. The man who is projected to go highest in the draft next month is Matt Tennant who is the first or second best center available depending on who you talk to. Tennant only participated in the positional drills, and chose not to participate in the measurable activities because he was happy with his numbers from the combine. Tennant is starting to hear from specific teams and has a private workout scheduled with the Denver Broncos next week and the Atlanta Falcons the week after. As for his experience at the combine, Tennant said that he was kept on his toes with the questions that were asked by the teams. - Eric Hoffses, EagleAction.com

02/28/10 - Tennant comes into the Combine as the consensus second-ranked center, behind Florida's Maurice Pouncey. He took over at center at Boston College before his sophomore season and started 40 straight games. He was able to keep his starting streak alive despite having Tommy John surgery on his left elbow after the Eagles' bowl game following his junior year. That surgery was performed in Cincinnati by Dr. Tim Kremchek, who is the Reds medical director and chief orthopedic physician. One Tommy John surgery would be plenty but Tennant is a bit of a rarity - he's had it done twice and on different arms. During his junior year at Moeller, he had the procedure done on his right elbow, which he also injured in the last game of the season. "I fell down both times and tried to catch myself and just dislocated one and hyperextended the other," Tennant said. "There's no problems whatsoever. They both feel great, and I have full strength." Tennant weighed in at 300 pounds, which he considered a goal. He didn't want to be the only offensive lineman to come in under 300. He does feel that he can play at 300 or 280, which he has done in the past. Scouts like Tennant's quickness and the ability to be light on his feet as well as being a solid blocker. His greatest asset though is his versatility. Tennant played tackle at Moeller and some guard at B.C. before moving to center. Teams have talked to him about playing all three positions and he did take some snaps at guard during the Senior Bowl. - Joe Reedy, Cincinnati Enquirer

02/25/10 - 2010 NFL COMBINE, ALL-COMBINE SURPRISE TEAM: C - Matt Tennant, Boston College: Like guards, the 2010 center class doesn't possess many standout athletes, but Tennant's light feet should impress. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Makes sense, but I also heard he was lobbying for Ryan Purvis, his former TE, and that didn't work out. Tennant seems to be the consensus 2nd best center in this draft, and we definitely need an heir for McClure, so I'd be delighted to get him if he falls to the third.

Week 1: Sunday, Sep. 12, at Pittsburgh, 1:00 PM

We will likely face the Steelers without Big Ben, which is a huge bonus. They still have a tremendous D, led by Polamalu, so not to be taken lightly be any means, but weather won't be an issue and we catch a break here. We'll need to continue our 2 season opening day winning streak (and end Pitt's considerably longer one).

Week 2: Sunday, Sep. 19, Arizona, 1:00 PM

Second week of facing a team with a new QB from last year. Jury is still out at that position, regardless of who starts (I expect it will be Leinart). I'm not sure what to make of this ARI team yet, but we're at home and are tough to beat at the dome.

Week 3: Sunday, Sep. 26, at New Orleans, 1:00 PM

Always a good game, and we match up well with NOLA for some reason. Last year was a hard fought loss at the dome (

), expect another exciting game here as the battle for the NFC South begins.Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 3, San Francisco, 1:00 PM

We destroyed them last year (which was awesome, cause I still hate the 9ers from our old NFC West days), so I expect they'll have payback in mind. Still, we're a good home team and I'm not convinced SF is there yet. This marks game 3 with a team starting a different QB.

Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 10, at Cleveland, 1:00 PM

Which brings us to game 4 with a new QB, TBD. I expect Cleveland to be improved, but I don't think they'll have enough offense. Again, a road game where it's too early for weather to be a factor.

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 17, at Philadelphia, 1:00 PM

REVENGE!!!! Philly came in and trounced us. We were missing 5 starters, including Ryan and Turner, and never had a chance. Philly made a point to use Vick in this game more than any other in their season, where he passed and ran for TDs. Nothing was said at the time, but the offices at Flowery branch were fuming. There'll be a little extra juice for this game.

Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 24, Cincinnati, 1:00 PM

Cinci was solid in '09, no reason to think that they won't be again. We'll need to have a good day offensively to beat them. Good news is that it is at home.

Week 8: BYE

Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 7, Tampa Bay, 1:00 PM

TB is probably facing another year in their rebuilding project, but you can't ever sleep on them.

Week 10: Thursday, Nov. 11, Baltimore, 8:20 PM

The battle of the '08 QB studs, Ryan vs Flacco 1.0. That will be the billing for this matchup, and why not? You won't find many rookie years better than these two put up.

Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 21, at St. Louis, 4:05 PM

6th game facing a new QB, likely the rookie Bradford. They're all NFL teams, but this should be a win, STL is not ready yet.

Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 28, Green Bay, 1:00 PM

Time for the playoff push! I expect both Atlanta and GB to be strong playoff contenders, and this game could have significant seeding implications.

Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 5, at Tampa Bay, 1:00 PM

Never a dull day at RayJay, gotta take care of business and keep the cannons quiet.

Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 12, at Carolina, 1:00 PM

We have to wait a long time til we face our 3rd NFC South rival, and our 7th new starting QB. (Yes, Moore started some games, but we didn't face him). Despite QB issues, they still have a strong D and running game. Always a good matchup.

Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 19, at Seattle, 4:05 PM

Our sole trip to the west coast, and I expect Seattle to be struggling in their first year under Carroll. It will take him a couple of seasons to get what he wants up there.

Week 16: Monday, Dec. 27, New Orleans, 8:30 PM

Could this be the deciding game in NFC South supremacy?

Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 2, Carolina, 1:00 PM

Love that we're ending the season at home. If Carolina struggles this season, Fox could be halfway out the door and the team might be mailing it in.

All in all, we catch a break from the schedule makers, who cornholed us last year. A nice, mid-season bye, most of our toughest opponents are at home, and our away games to cold weather locations are nearly all early in the season. With Ryan entering his thrid year, Turner healthy, and what should be a considerably improved D, I think we're set up nicely to make the playoffs this year and give the Saints all they can handle in trying to repeat.

Well, time to make the prediction. Who do you think Atlanta takes? I'm going with Sean Weatherspoon. NYG get a deal done with JAX and moves up to number 10 to take McClain, allowing Weatherspoon to fall in our laps.

Anyone else?

Well, time to make the prediction. Who do you think Atlanta takes? I'm going with Sean Weatherspoon. NYG get a deal done with JAX and moves up to number 10 to take McClain, allowing Weatherspoon to fall in our laps.Anyone else?
The consensus seems to be either Gresham, DE, or LBI think it will be a DE

Well, time to make the prediction. Who do you think Atlanta takes? I'm going with Sean Weatherspoon. NYG get a deal done with JAX and moves up to number 10 to take McClain, allowing Weatherspoon to fall in our laps.Anyone else?
I think Weatherspoon is the guy too... I also wouldn't be surprised to see them drop back in the first and pick up a 2nd rounder since we don't have one. At this point I trust Dimitrioff completely, so I'll go with the flow.

What's the word on safety William Moore? Is he in line to start this season...assuming he can stay healthy enough to get on the field?

I'm thinking they go with Gresham. I won't be disappointed with whoever they take in the first unless it's a WR or QB. I also won't be surprised if they pull off a trade to move down and pick up a 2nd rounder or 2... from New England.

Thanks, outside of the top 4 that everyone knew, that was the only one I got right. When the Raiders picked McClain, I said to my buddies, well, there goes every single mock draft in the country. I still think that if they don't take him, NYG makes a deal with JAX.

Ok, so the Falcons don't have a second rounder currently, so who has fallen out of the first that might motivate them to deal some later picks to get back into the 2nd?

Sergio Kindle, LB - Rated as a 3-4 guy and Weatherspoon fills the LB need.

Charles Brown, OT - Can never have enough solid lineman, tho we're more in need of a center

Rodger Saffold, OT - See above

Terrence Cody, DT - Doesn't seem like Dimitroff kind of a pick, but a potentiially dominant interior lineman is not to be overlooked (see Jackson, Grady)

Carlos Dunlap, DE - Was certainly considered first round talent.

Ricky Sapp, DE - Know nothing about this guy, but he's ranked above Dunlap on nfl.com

Griffen, Everson - This is most likely the guy we make a move for, if we make a move, IMO. depends on how far he falls, perhaps.

We'd have to move up to the first half tho, I could see the Vikes, Bucs and Eagles all being interested in Griffen. Probably won't happen, but TD has shown he'll make a move when he wants a guy.

ETA, I could see them also trading up if they started to get nervous about someone taking Matt Tennant.

Opinions on Corey Peters, I know nothing...

Everson Griffen STILL on the board, amazing. How did all the talking heads have him in the 1st round?

IDPers may be interested in this. Finally some good news on last year's second round pick, S William Moore. Moore was considered first round talent who fell to the second round for reasons I can't recall. It is widely believed in Falcon Land that a healthy Moore will start over Erik Coleman from day 1.

As someone who was counting on coleman to be one of my starting db's that news doesn't thrill me. That said I appreciate all of your links, Patrick, because other than weatherspoon I knew nothing about this year's draft class

Also I'm surprised so many ppl thought the falcons would use their first to draft gresham. Not only did they have far more pressing needs than at te, this was a very deep te crop and IMO it didn't make sense for any of them to be drafted in the first

It's hard to imagine that atlanta is looking at another winning season when it took forver to just get two good seasons in a row

I never took the gresham rumors seriously, personally. Nor the rumors about hometown hero Demaryius Thomas. I thought it would be Graham or Spoon all along.

'preciate the props, sometimes it feels like I'm just talkin' to myself in here! Take advantage of the news and go get Moore, people whose opinions I respect concerning the Falcons feel he will be an outright beast in our secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread