What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2010 Atlanta Falcons team thread*** (1 Viewer)

Patrick- Thanks for those updates.

Falcons are in the process of building a special team. We have quality AND depth at almost every position. We are young too, but our young guys have experience. With a number of key players coming back from an injury plagued 2009 season, I hope we catch folks off-guard. Barring injury, I believe we'll be a playoff team...hopefully much more. Realistically I see 10-12 wins. If we get the kind of breaks New Orleans got last year...14.
Maybe we can eek out nine or ten wins but the schedule isn't as favorable as I'd like it to be.
And some news items of note:

As everyone knows by now, Michael Jenkins is out 4-6 weeks and could miss the first two games. I don't have any new news there. This makes Harry Douglas, Brian Finneran and Kerry Meiers more valuable and worth watching. Personally, I think Harry is going to be a future stud, not sure if I'm ready to say he'll break big this year, but I'm leaning towards it. Not sure how much to read into this, but the Falcons have release the depth chart for this week's game, and Finn is listed as Jenkins backup.
Frankly I'm starting to get concerned about douglas. He's hurt yet again and will miss the first preseason game
Where are you hearing the news on Douglas? I'm following several beat reporters and Pat Yasinskas, who's in camp, on twitter and heard nothing on this.BTW, couldn't disagree with you more on our season outlook though. I firmly believe we win at least 11 and take the NFC South crown. Don't see us getting past GB or Dal, tho.

And confirmed by Jay Adams on twitter, the Falcons media producer, who is at camp.

FalconsJAdams

Not true. Harry is continuing to come back from his injury and is looking good in his progression.

Falcons are in the process of building a special team. We have quality AND depth at almost every position. We are young too, but our young guys have experience. With a number of key players coming back from an injury plagued 2009 season, I hope we catch folks off-guard. Barring injury, I believe we'll be a playoff team...hopefully much more. Realistically I see 10-12 wins. If we get the kind of breaks New Orleans got last year...14.
Maybe we can eek out nine or ten wins but the schedule isn't as favorable as I'd like it to be.

As everyone knows by now, Michael Jenkins is out 4-6 weeks and could miss the first two games. I don't have any new news there. This makes Harry Douglas, Brian Finneran and Kerry Meiers more valuable and worth watching. Personally, I think Harry is going to be a future stud, not sure if I'm ready to say he'll break big this year, but I'm leaning towards it. Not sure how much to read into this, but the Falcons have release the depth chart for this week's game, and Finn is listed as Jenkins backup.
Frankly I'm starting to get concerned about douglas. He's hurt yet again and will miss the first preseason game
Where are you hearing the news on Douglas? I'm following several beat reporters and Pat Yasinskas, who's in camp, on twitter and heard nothing on this.BTW, couldn't disagree with you more on our season outlook though. I firmly believe we win at least 11 and take the NFC South crown. Don't see us getting past GB or Dal, tho.
Rotoworld) Harry Douglas (knee) has been ruled out for the preseason opener against the Chiefs this week. Analysis: The Falcons keep expressing confidence in Douglas' knee, but they've treated him with kid gloves since the start of the offseason. We're going to want to see him in action before we draft him even in deeper leagues.Maybe the falcons are just being overprotective but it's worrying me

As far as their schedule goes, I also see one lose to new orleans, pitt, cincy, balt, dallas, and one loss to carolina. And if the trend of NFC south losers being good the next season continues atlanta may lose one to tampa bay. The GB game is a toss up to me. So that's a potential eight losses but hopefully atlanta will win a couple of those and finish 10 - 6

Rotoworld) Harry Douglas (knee) has been ruled out for the preseason opener against the Chiefs this week. Analysis: The Falcons keep expressing confidence in Douglas' knee, but they've treated him with kid gloves since the start of the offseason. We're going to want to see him in action before we draft him even in deeper leagues.Maybe the falcons are just being overprotective but it's worrying me

As far as their schedule goes, I also see one lose to new orleans, pitt, cincy, balt, dallas, and one loss to carolina. And if the trend of NFC south losers being good the next season continues atlanta may lose one to tampa bay. The GB game is a toss up to me. So that's a potential eight losses but hopefully atlanta will win a couple of those and finish 10 - 6
I would be interested in how we lose to Dallas since we don't have them on the schedule (until maybe the NFC Conference title game). The comments about the NFC South dweller coming on top each year by the media and now fans are getting very old and stale. I guess we Falcon fans have to endure hearing all season that we had back to back winning seasons too.So to sum it up Douglas is not re-injured- just cautious-

I would be interested in how we lose to Dallas since we don't have them on the schedule (until maybe the NFC Conference title game). The comments about the NFC South dweller coming on top each year by the media and now fans are getting very old and stale. I guess we Falcon fans have to endure hearing all season that we had back to back winning seasons too.So to sum it up Douglas is not re-injured- just cautious-
You're right about dallas not being on the schedulestale or not the team to come in dead last in the division has won it in 6 of the last 7 years IIRC....the only time it didn't happen was when atlanta had 11 wins in 2007 and still came in second to carolinaEven if the falcons' are being over cautious that could be an indication that douglas' knee isn't as solid as we're being told it is

You're right about dallas not being on the schedulestale or not the team to come in dead last in the division has won it in 6 of the last 7 years IIRC....the only time it didn't happen was when atlanta had 11 wins in 2007 and still came in second to carolinaEven if the falcons' are being over cautious that could be an indication that douglas' knee isn't as solid as we're being told it is
I don't know if I agree with that, but we'll see how it plays out. I just wanted to make it clear it wasn't re-injured. As to the last to first trend, I suspect that ends this year, I just don't see how the Bucs win more than 5-6 games, they're not ready yet. Frankly, I expect to split NO and sweep TB and CAR, I just don't see it in CAR this year. Any Fox coached team is dangerous to be sure, I just can't see them matching up well with us or NO. 'Course, anything could happen.

Links on Douglas from yesterdays b/r bleacher report newsletter Atlanta Falcons edition

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/431902-...urce=newsletter

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b5hFs

Links on Finneran stepping in for Jenkins on 1st team; Meier getting some work, NOT Douglas

"Douglas didn’t take part Tuesday morning and starting receiver Michael Jenkins is out for four to six weeks with a shoulder injury. That paved the way for veteran receiver Brian Finneran to get a lot of work with the first team. This is situation obviously in flux with Douglas expected to keep getting more work as the preseason goes on. Rookie Kerry Meier also is getting lots of work and has responded well. But Finneran’s experience allows the first-team offense to get work done without a lot of disruption. He knows the system and, as a run blocker, is a reasonable facsimile of Jenkins."

Last edited by a moderator:
Meier might be a dynasty sleeper. This team is for reals and he might be the best of the rest after Gonzo and Roddy when the dust settles.

Some excerpts from Pat Kirwan after his visit to Falcons camp. Readers should take note of his comment regarding Turner and receptions. I took note of the Robinson quote. Falcons medical staff is bein extremely cautious with injuries, they got hit hard by the injury bug last year.

Don't be surprised if Running back Michael Turner, who has never caught more than six passes in any of his six NFL seasons, is more involved in the passing game. He has made a big effort to improve as a receiver.

The Falcons have a plan if wide receiver Michael Jenkins -- the team's No. 3 passing option behind White and tight end Tony Gonzalez -- isn't available for the season opener at Pittsburgh. Brian Finneran is the answer for the No. 3 spot in Jenkins' absence, but the checkdown game to the backs is going to be featured more this year.

Matt Ryan has looked terrific in camp. He reminds me of Tom Brady when Brady came into the league. The Patriots QB was skinny and slow, just like Ryan was in his first two seasons in Atlanta. But Ryan's been locked in that weight room for the last six months, and it shows.

[Ryan's] bigger, he's stronger, he's faster. He looked good on the bootleg when I saw him practice against the Jaguars on Tuesday. His deep ball is significantly better. He threw a 60-yard pass that Roddy White was unable to close on, demonstrating his new arm strength

Weatherspoon, the team's first-round pick, is working with the starters due to Mike Peterson being sidelined, but he might never give the job back. He plays like he's been out there for a few years. Yes, the coaches are hard on him, but he flashes some rare speed and power. He also looks like he will stay on the field for third-down packages

Lasting Impressions

Tackle Sam Baker blocking Jaguars linebacker Derrick Harvey and making him a non-factor as a pass rusher

Quotable

"I could go right now," said Robinson, who suffered a hamstring injury in the first week of camp and has missed several practices, "but they want me to take another week off."

I really like sam baker, I wish he could stay healthy
You and me both. Same story with William Moore, I'd really like to see that guy at full speed. Read an article, sorry don't have a link, saying fellow Mizzou Tiger, Weatherspoon, said Moore told him to take TC and his rookie season overall, insinuating that Moore didn't. I look forward to Moore taking over for Coleman this year and providing some serious thump to the secondary.

15 thoughts on pre-season game 1. Been a little focused on a recent job interview and follow-ups, so running a bit behind.

1) Turner is back. All the way back, hitting the hole, dragging the pile, being generally unstoppable. Draft him. Draft him now.

2) As mentioned previously, the offense plans to feature Turner as a receiver more. I'm not telling you he'll compete with SJax for catches, but 15-20 is surely reasonable.

3) Ryan still hearts Tony. 2 of 3 completions were first downs to Gonzo. Ryan didn't look terrific, but looked ok.

4) Two bad drops by Roddy. Hope he's not getting complacent.

5) 3 turnovers for the defense and Weems looked solid in the return game. Franks got a couple of shots, but didn't do much. I'm not telling you to draft ATL in the 5th round, but I think you could do worse with your 14th/15th round DST.

6) Speaking of Franks, he looked pretty good. Good size at 6' 220 or so, and a willing tackler. He got burned on a hitch and go that fell incomplete, but that's not shocking from a rookie.

7) Pass rush looked pretty good. Perhaps becuase the deep routes weren't there...? A better test will come Thur night vs Brady & Co. Dunta Robinson will play, I believe.

8) Matt Bryant has won the kicking competition. He should have a solid season and plenty of opportunity.

9) Weems took most of the return duties but neither Douglas now Norwood suited up.

10) O-Line looked great at run blocking. Need to work on the pass protection.

11) Weatherspoon, so far, looks as good as advertised. Was all over the field.

12) A scary moment when Curtis Lofton went down and appeared to grab his knee. Turns out to be simple leg cramps. <phew>

13) Downgrade punt return yardage vs Atlanta. I Koenen hit the Hubble telescope.

14) Dmitri Nance should get some looks in dynasty leagues, he looked solid overall. Zero redraft value.

15) Kerry Meier looked good as a posession reciever with some upside. Developing a man crush, but he's not really draftable at this point, outside of dynasties.

Now, add your own!

15 thoughts on pre-season game 1. Been a little focused on a recent job interview and follow-ups, so running a bit behind.1) Turner is back. All the way back, hitting the hole, dragging the pile, being generally unstoppable. Draft him. Draft him now.2) As mentioned previously, the offense plans to feature Turner as a receiver more. I'm not telling you he'll compete with SJax for catches, but 15-20 is surely reasonable.3) Ryan still hearts Tony. 2 of 3 completions were first downs to Gonzo. Ryan didn't look terrific, but looked ok.4) Two bad drops by Roddy. Hope he's not getting complacent.5) 3 turnovers for the defense and Weems looked solid in the return game. Franks got a couple of shots, but didn't do much. I'm not telling you to draft ATL in the 5th round, but I think you could do worse with your 14th/15th round DST.6) Speaking of Franks, he looked pretty good. Good size at 6' 220 or so, and a willing tackler. He got burned on a hitch and go that fell incomplete, but that's not shocking from a rookie.7) Pass rush looked pretty good. Perhaps becuase the deep routes weren't there...? A better test will come Thur night vs Brady & Co. Dunta Robinson will play, I believe.8) Matt Bryant has won the kicking competition. He should have a solid season and plenty of opportunity.9) Weems took most of the return duties but neither Douglas now Norwood suited up.10) O-Line looked great at run blocking. Need to work on the pass protection.11) Weatherspoon, so far, looks as good as advertised. Was all over the field.12) A scary moment when Curtis Lofton went down and appeared to grab his knee. Turns out to be simple leg cramps. <phew>13) Downgrade punt return yardage vs Atlanta. I Koenen hit the Hubble telescope.14) Dmitri Nance should get some looks in dynasty leagues, he looked solid overall. Zero redraft value.15) Kerry Meier looked good as a posession reciever with some upside. Developing a man crush, but he's not really draftable at this point, outside of dynasties.Now, add your own!
That D against KC looked got but it was KC against the pats last night showed why I think they are a nine win team. Also atlanta really needs another te besides gonzo, I was really surprised with all the te talent in this year's draft one wasn't chosen. Tony is great but he can't play forever. Also I'm really loving weatherspoon

I don't think I'd read too much into Friday's game. It was not encouraging, but it's a zero film game and the D was trying all sorts of different formations on 3rd downs. More disturbing than anything, IMO is the fact the 1st string offense has failed to score and has yet to throw anything over 20 yards, to my recollection. Pats got the benefit of a horrific call on the roughing penalty, but overall just played more physical football. I'm disappointed, but not panicky. I still think this is an 11 win season.

As for another TE, don't discount Peele, he's certainly no Gonzo, but he's got some game. Dynasty owners should be looking at Peele, IMO. He's NOT the "next gonzo", but he could be a serviceable TE in a year or two.

More thoughts on the game and other news items....

Weatherspoon did look good most of the time, but had his rookie moments. He probably won't be a week 1 starter, but after the bye, he could be starting.

Dynasty owners should note that Kerry Meier was lost for the season on a non contact ACL tear on a kickoff return. Just awful, I was really thinking he'd make solid contributions this year. This does open the door for Bergeron, who is likely not worth rostering unless you're bored.

The Falcons traded OL Quinn Ojinakka to the Pats for an undisclosed pick. Consensus has it as a 7, with a possible escalation to a 6th. Today, they signed Mark Ortman from Michigan who was accused of punching an Illinois player in the groin one game. He was later cleared. Should fit right in.

IDPers TAKE NOTE: S. WIlliam Moore will play vs Miami. He's listed as 2nd on the depth chart. The Falcons brass love this kid, so hopefully he can stay healthy. The staff would love to see him take Coleman's starting job. Also of note, rookie DT Corey Peters, who heard a "pop" in his knee Friday night is currently diagnosed with a sprain, but I haven't heard MRI results. His loss would hurt more than Meier's, likely, he was expected to be a contributor in the DL rotation.

More on the Turner receptions front, Turner had two receptions vs the Pats in the first quarter. He also looked in mid-season form running the ball. Skip him in PPR (or any) leagues at your own peril.

John Parker Wilson made a case for being the #2 QB. I don't think it will happen this year, but I hope Redman is enjoying his last year in the NFL. (That's not a knock, I like Redman).

Dynasty owner's should take notice of Justin Peele, he could be Gonzo's heir apparent.

Harry Douglas came in for his first action and looked solid. Looking forward to seeing him Friday, when he should see some more time.

Ryan looks in control of the offense. His numbers haven't been great, but again, these are zero film games. This week should tell a better story.

KR/PR yardage people: Franks has looked unimpressive in returns (although he's looked good at CB). Weems is almost certainly the man to have if your league counts KR/PR yards, and is probably going to get 2-3 TDs in the receiving game.

Jerious Norwood will see his first action of the pre-season Friday night. For those of you (us) still holding out hope that he can live up to his potential, this will be your first glimpse. This will also mark Peria Jerry's return to the field as well Dunta Robinson's Falcon debut. Given that it's pre-season game 3, and some game planning will actually take place, we should be getting a better picture of where the Falcons offense stands.

Need some help from my fellow fans to keep this up to date!!!!

Cuts today:

Notable cuts: CB Chevis Jackson, FB Dan Klecko, C Brett Romberg.

Others: TE Robbie Agnone, WR Troy Bergeron, WR Tim Buckley, RB Dimitri Nance, C Blake Schlueter, WR Andy Strickland, WR Ryan Wolfe, TE Keith Zinger, S Rafael Bush, S Eric Brock, CB Dominique Daniels, LB Weston Johnson, DE Maurice Lucas, DE Emmanuel Stephens, G Jose Valdez, LB Bear Woods, WR Brandyn Harvey.

Most notable is the cut that WASN'T made. Rookie TE David Palmer made the team over veteran Zinger. I think this is a sign of how much they like this kid. Gonzo may be gone after this year, and Palmer might be his heir. Dynasty owners take note.

Chevis Jackson will land somewhere else. Klecko, Romberg, Valdez, Nance and Bergeron are sure to be found on the practice squad.

ETA: Biggest surprise for me is that they kept Antone Smith over Nance. I predicted the other way around and was wrong. I would rather have Nance, Smith was unimpressive to me.

Curious as to Falcon fans in the know as to what to expect early from Harry Douglas? Talked about very highly here and DD thinks well of him also. Depth chart seems to indicate that Finneran is the second starting WR, but Douglas caught four in week 3 of the preseason and then did not play in the last preseason match.

Thanks

Curious as to Falcon fans in the know as to what to expect early from Harry Douglas? Talked about very highly here and DD thinks well of him also. Depth chart seems to indicate that Finneran is the second starting WR, but Douglas caught four in week 3 of the preseason and then did not play in the last preseason match.Thanks
Douglas was not intended to be #2, he will work out of the slot. Finn should be ok at #2 til Jenkins returns, he's a solid blocker with good hands and good height. Dimitroff has said bluntly that Douglas will play the Welker role out of the slot.I kind of wanted us to take a long look at Housh, he could excel here behind an established #1 in White.

The depth-chart.

No surprises on offense. Those looking for Harry D at #2 should realize that that's not the role they want him to play. I expect Meier to be there eventually, in 2011. Douglas will play out of the slot and compete with Gonzo for catches in the middle of the field.

Defense gets interesting though. Brent Grimes wins the starting job opposite Robinson. I suspect Owens will be the primary nickel back, but have no evidence of that. Also, Sean Weatherspoon has beaten out Nicholas for the SAM backer position.

And, while Atlanta utilizes a heavy DL rotation, Falcon fans will be happy to see that Kroy Bierman has offically passed Jamaal Anderson on the depth charts. Looking forward to he and Abraham terrorizing opposing QBs all year.

Week 1 preview

Atlanta takes to the road in week 1 to visit the friendly confines of Heinz field. After a brutal thrashing from the schedule makers last year, the Falcons catch a few breaks this year, starting with an away game to Pittsburgh in September, rather than November or December. The weather should not be a factor.

The birds catch another break by avoiding Ben Roethlisberger due to his four game suspension. Instead they get Dennis Dixon in only his second NFL start. All in all, the Falcons have no one to blame but themselves if they don't walk out of here with a victory.

It's likely that Pittsburgh will want to provide a steady diet of Rashard Mendenhall to help Dixon out, but Atlanta showed last year and in the pre-season that they are capable of stopping the run. Clearly, Van Gorder's game plan will be to render Mendenhall ineffective and force Dixon to throw the ball. If successful, there should be ample opportunities for turnovers and drive stopping sacks. Bierman could have a big debut as a starter against the increasingly ineffective Flozell Adams. Look for the defense to throw some interesting wrinkles at rookie center Pouncey as well.

On the other side of the ball, Atlanta has plenty of weapons to attack with, but the Pittsburgh D, especially with a healthy Palomalu, is as good as anybody the league. They also are capable of stopping the run, but we have a slightly better option throwing the ball with Ryan so they can't sell out. Having said that, I still expect a steady dose of Turner in an attempt to soften up a defense that will, hopefully, be on the field a lot. I hope to see Ryan take a few shots down the field to White and Douglas.

In the end, a weakened Pittsburgh offense won't be able to put points on the board as Atlanta's defensive line wreaks havoc on the young QB. An exhausted Pittsburgh defense gives up a 4th quarter score from Turner to seal the deal.

Prediction: Atlanta 23 - Pittsburgh 13

:goodposting:

Week 1 previewAtlanta takes to the road in week 1 to visit the friendly confines of Heinz field. After a brutal thrashing from the schedule makers last year, the Falcons catch a few breaks this year, starting with an away game to Pittsburgh in September, rather than November or December. The weather should not be a factor.The birds catch another break by avoiding Ben Roethlisberger due to his four game suspension. Instead they get Dennis Dixon in only his second NFL start. All in all, the Falcons have no one to blame but themselves if they don't walk out of here with a victory.It's likely that Pittsburgh will want to provide a steady diet of Rashard Mendenhall to help Dixon out, but Atlanta showed last year and in the pre-season that they are capable of stopping the run. Clearly, Van Gorder's game plan will be to render Mendenhall ineffective and force Dixon to throw the ball. If successful, there should be ample opportunities for turnovers and drive stopping sacks. Bierman could have a big debut as a starter against the increasingly ineffective Flozell Adams. Look for the defense to throw some interesting wrinkles at rookie center Pouncey as well.On the other side of the ball, Atlanta has plenty of weapons to attack with, but the Pittsburgh D, especially with a healthy Palomalu, is as good as anybody the league. They also are capable of stopping the run, but we have a slightly better option throwing the ball with Ryan so they can't sell out. Having said that, I still expect a steady dose of Turner in an attempt to soften up a defense that will, hopefully, be on the field a lot. I hope to see Ryan take a few shots down the field to White and Douglas.In the end, a weakened Pittsburgh offense won't be able to put points on the board as Atlanta's defensive line wreaks havoc on the young QB. An exhausted Pittsburgh defense gives up a 4th quarter score from Turner to seal the deal.Prediction: Atlanta 23 - Pittsburgh 13:football:
I hope atlanta gets the W but I think it'll be closer than you think. I was impressed by what I saw of dennis dixon's play and think he'll be a quality substitue for big ben. If atlanta takes pitt lightly because roethlisberger isn't there they will be in trouble. Also remember troy p. is back and the steelers' D is light years better with him in the lineupMy dynasty league has te's getting 2 PPR so I'll definitely keep an eye on the guys backing up gonzo but I think I found a young, quality te to play alongside zach miller in michael hoowanamanui, who's situation reminds me of gonzo's in KC but you can't have enough quality te's in that leaguePersonally the biggest surprise to me regarding the cuts was dmitri nance. I just think norwood's shown he can't stay healthy in addition turner won't be around in a few years and I thought nance could have some value to the falcons for both the immediate future and possibly longterm as well

Curious as to Falcon fans in the know as to what to expect early from Harry Douglas? Talked about very highly here and DD thinks well of him also. Depth chart seems to indicate that Finneran is the second starting WR, but Douglas caught four in week 3 of the preseason and then did not play in the last preseason match.Thanks
Douglas was not intended to be #2, he will work out of the slot. Finn should be ok at #2 til Jenkins returns, he's a solid blocker with good hands and good height. Dimitroff has said bluntly that Douglas will play the Welker role out of the slot.I kind of wanted us to take a long look at Housh, he could excel here behind an established #1 in White.
However douglas will be the falcons #2 wr in terms of ff production and IMO housh wouldn't have been significantly better than finneran or even jenkins

FTRWRTR said:
Week 1 previewAtlanta takes to the road in week 1 to visit the friendly confines of Heinz field. After a brutal thrashing from the schedule makers last year, the Falcons catch a few breaks this year, starting with an away game to Pittsburgh in September, rather than November or December. The weather should not be a factor.The birds catch another break by avoiding Ben Roethlisberger due to his four game suspension. Instead they get Dennis Dixon in only his second NFL start. All in all, the Falcons have no one to blame but themselves if they don't walk out of here with a victory.It's likely that Pittsburgh will want to provide a steady diet of Rashard Mendenhall to help Dixon out, but Atlanta showed last year and in the pre-season that they are capable of stopping the run. Clearly, Van Gorder's game plan will be to render Mendenhall ineffective and force Dixon to throw the ball. If successful, there should be ample opportunities for turnovers and drive stopping sacks. Bierman could have a big debut as a starter against the increasingly ineffective Flozell Adams. Look for the defense to throw some interesting wrinkles at rookie center Pouncey as well.On the other side of the ball, Atlanta has plenty of weapons to attack with, but the Pittsburgh D, especially with a healthy Palomalu, is as good as anybody the league. They also are capable of stopping the run, but we have a slightly better option throwing the ball with Ryan so they can't sell out. Having said that, I still expect a steady dose of Turner in an attempt to soften up a defense that will, hopefully, be on the field a lot. I hope to see Ryan take a few shots down the field to White and Douglas.In the end, a weakened Pittsburgh offense won't be able to put points on the board as Atlanta's defensive line wreaks havoc on the young QB. An exhausted Pittsburgh defense gives up a 4th quarter score from Turner to seal the deal.Prediction: Atlanta 23 - Pittsburgh 13:lmao:
I hope atlanta gets the W but I think it'll be closer than you think. I was impressed by what I saw of dennis dixon's play and think he'll be a quality substitue for big ben. If atlanta takes pitt lightly because roethlisberger isn't there they will be in trouble. Also remember troy p. is back and the steelers' D is light years better with him in the lineupMy dynasty league has te's getting 2 PPR so I'll definitely keep an eye on the guys backing up gonzo but I think I found a young, quality te to play alongside zach miller in michael hoowanamanui, who's situation reminds me of gonzo's in KC but you can't have enough quality te's in that leaguePersonally the biggest surprise to me regarding the cuts was dmitri nance. I just think norwood's shown he can't stay healthy in addition turner won't be around in a few years and I thought nance could have some value to the falcons for both the immediate future and possibly longterm as well
I don't want to discount Dixon too much, but it's not just him. He's taking snaps from a rookie center in his first start and Flozell has just been awful in pre-season. Dixon should be running for his life much of the game.

Still sick to my stomach. Two items pretty much sum up my view, and I'm ready to start the fire Mularkey bandwagon now. And I'm pretty pissed at Smith's cowardice at 4th and 1 late in the game. Pathetic effort all around. Rise Up? Apparently, the only thing rising up is the spirit of the same old Falcons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id...t-in-pittsburgh

This was actually a reader comment to another article:

It’s an interesting thing, the modern NFL. Let’s just say Bill Walsh, the dearly departed former 49ers offensive genius, would have a field day in today’s NFL. The NFL of today, thanks to changes in rules, has been made into a QB/WR-friendly passing league unlike anything seen outside of the CFL.

The teams that win in this league, and I mean win Super Bowls, pass the ball more than run. The Saints, Patriots, Pittsburgh (yes, two years ago, Pittsburgh passed more than ran with Big Ben, winning the Super Bowl against another pass-first team in Arizona), and Colts ALL pass the ball to win.

The Falcons seem to have many deep-seeded issues on offense, the first of which starts with their offensive play-caller, Offensive Coordinator Mike Mularky, and his offensive philosophy of running the ball at all costs, refusing to take advantage of the changes of the rules in NFL play.

Mularky was the long-time offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and it’s no coincidence that the Steelers never won a Super Bowl and were constant playoff under-performers with Mike Mularky calling the plays. The man refuses to play to his QBs strengths, he refuses to adapt his play calling to what the defenses gives him, and he is a dinosaur stuck in the NFL of 20 years ago. Today’s game was a perfect example of Mularky’s inept handling of the Falcons Offense over the last two years.

When it became painfully obvious to everyone watching at home that the Falcons couldn’t move the ball on the ground against the Steeler’s D, Mularky never seemed to catch on, calling run after run that went for little to no yardage. Whenever the offense moved the ball this afternoon, it was with Matt Ryan calling the offensive plays in the no huddle attack. What does that say about your performance as play-caller when your offense plays better and more in rhythm when you don’t call plays?

Mike Mularky is a hinderance to this team. He may also be a hinderance in Matt Ryan’s development as a quarterback as well. If Matt Ryan is a problem, then that is something for the team to be honest about in internal player evaluations. As a third-year quarterback, Ryan seems to have stagnated in this offense. One has to wonder why Ryan keeps on making the same mistakes over and over (forcing the ball into tight coverage around Gonzalez time after time, especially on third down). Is he not receiving honest coaching from Mularky and QB Coach Bill Musgrave? Or has he reached his plateau as a good, but not great QB? In other words, is Matt Ryan more a Trent Dilfer and less the Tom Brady that fans and Falcons’ brass want him so desperately to be?

Ryan appears as if, under the right coaching, he can succeed in this league. He had an outstanding rookie season, a record-setting rookie season, but has never progressed to a higher level on the field. That is an obvious problem with coaching. He is not being coached well by both Mularky and Musgrave. His hesitance in the pocket also mirrors his head coach’s lack of, for lack of a better word, cajones when faced with tough, in-game decisions.

Today the Falcon defense played well enough to win, but once again, the offensive coaching staff and the head coach decided to play not to lose, and lost. When it comes to what to do on 4th and 1, Falcons fans always know what Mike Smith will choose. Many Falcons fans have given Smith the nickname Field Goal Mike for his propensity to always attempt field goals when faced with 4th and 1 decisions inside the red zone. This “play not to lose” mentality has gripped this franchise and refuses to let go. In the NFL, when you play not to lose, you will lose more often than not. Excessive conservative play has never won a football game or a championship. In a game where points are at a premium, coaches with guts go for it on 4th and 1. Mike Smith has shown through his decisions that he is not a coach with guts.

Sean Payton has guts. He has cajones. He doesn’t play “not to lose” football. Neither does Bill Belichick or Mike Tomlin.

And what do they have that Mike Smith and Mike Mularky don’t?

Circumstances need to ch

ge in Flowery Branch, and they must begin with the offensive coaching staff.When you refuse to evolve, you will cease to exist.

The Falcons need to make a quick decision about adapting their offensive philosophy to take advantage of the changes in rules that have allowed for the greatest freedom in passing the ball the league has ever seen, or this season will be just another in a long line of Falcons disappointments.

They can either join the rest of the NFL in the 21st Century and accept the fact that rule changes have turned today’s NFL into a passing oasis, or they can continue to butt their heads against the wall and play 20th Century Football.

The clock is ticking.

Users who are viewing this thread