What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

First try was to the 410 number. Very odd they couldn’t pull up my info using my acct no.  She said it needed to be 9 digits but mine was only 8. WTF?  Anybody else get that?

I guess I’ll try the 888 now. 

First try was to the 410 number. Very odd they couldn’t pull up my info using my acct no.  She said it needed to be 9 digits but mine was only 8. WTF?  Anybody else get that?

I guess I’ll try the 888 now. 
Same exact thing happened to me  getting quoted different prices and different promotions  

Hi all! Newcomer here. Found this thread searching for ways to approach DirecTV & ST. Been a 15 year customer with them and like all of you have experienced, it just keeps getting worse. Got the big win back offer last year which gave me Choice for $50/mo., free ST Max, 3 free mo. HBO/Stars/Cinemax and $200 GC which never came. Did the song and dance again this year and disconnected around 4 AM on 08/27.

Waited 24 hours and called 855 and 888 numbers. First rep at 888 said the only offer was $125/mo. which was standard pricing. Second at 855 named Juan said he could offer me free ST Max but no discounts and nothing else w/ no agreement. Juan even said he wanted to get me the same thing I had last year but it wasn't on my account. Called 410 number and was told the same as others - account numbers they need are nine digits and they couldn't find mine using any criteria. Guessing it's because I have an older DTV account. Rep sounded sincere about wanting to help and said she wanted to get my pricing back to where it was last year and free ST and would keep looking into it and call me back. Let's say I'm less than optimistic about that prospect.

I honestly don't need DTV and am more than willing to walk away. Like many, only reason I've kept them is due to ST but no way in hell I'm paying $125/mo. for basic cable. Plan to try each number one more time today because cancellation was just yesterday and then try again tomorrow.

At this point, don't really care if they retain me or not. Would love ST but they have to give me similar to last year to keep me. Have others gotten better offers the more times you call or the more days that go with your account being canceled?

Made the call last week and old them I didn't have time for the run-around this year and just wanted to cancel.  She of course said I could wait a month or so to see if any discounts become available 🙄. Its been shut-off since yesterday.  If they come back with a killer offer I might stay, but unlike years past I am fine with cancelling.  No emails or calls from them yet.  Most likely will do sling for a few months because I can get Redzone, but ultimately will probably go to YouTube TV.  Already feels good to be done with DTV!   

Hi all! Newcomer here. Found this thread searching for ways to approach DirecTV & ST. Been a 15 year customer with them and like all of you have experienced, it just keeps getting worse. Got the big win back offer last year which gave me Choice for $50/mo., free ST Max, 3 free mo. HBO/Stars/Cinemax and $200 GC which never came. Did the song and dance again this year and disconnected around 4 AM on 08/27.

Waited 24 hours and called 855 and 888 numbers. First rep at 888 said the only offer was $125/mo. which was standard pricing. Second at 855 named Juan said he could offer me free ST Max but no discounts and nothing else w/ no agreement. Juan even said he wanted to get me the same thing I had last year but it wasn't on my account. Called 410 number and was told the same as others - account numbers they need are nine digits and they couldn't find mine using any criteria. Guessing it's because I have an older DTV account. Rep sounded sincere about wanting to help and said she wanted to get my pricing back to where it was last year and free ST and would keep looking into it and call me back. Let's say I'm less than optimistic about that prospect.

I honestly don't need DTV and am more than willing to walk away. Like many, only reason I've kept them is due to ST but no way in hell I'm paying $125/mo. for basic cable. Plan to try each number one more time today because cancellation was just yesterday and then try again tomorrow.

At this point, don't really care if they retain me or not. Would love ST but they have to give me similar to last year to keep me. Have others gotten better offers the more times you call or the more days that go with your account being canceled?
Have had the exact same experience with three #s you listed. Seriously, the 410# can't help because I've got an older DTV account#? I'm being penalized for being a longer-term customer, I guess. Frustrating, given the success others are having here.

Will be curious about your second efforts, but I'm heading down the Reddit/streams YouTube TV route soon. DTV can suck it.

I have been told that if you call and express concern about not getting the local CBS or NBC channel due to their battle with Nexstar - they will send you an antennae that plugs into their DTV box.  

Gonna try making the call tomorrow.  

Have had the exact same experience with three #s you listed. Seriously, the 410# can't help because I've got an older DTV account#? I'm being penalized for being a longer-term customer, I guess. Frustrating, given the success others are having here.

Will be curious about your second efforts, but I'm heading down the Reddit/streams YouTube TV route soon. DTV can suck it.
I'll be sure to share. Going to try again tomorrow and probably once more sometime this weekend. If not, then it's Hulu or YouTube TV. Both have the regional sports channels so I can watch the Twins and Timberwolves which is the sole reason I keep cable to begin with so literally the only thing DTV can offer me now is Sunday Ticket.

May just suck it up for two years because in 2020-21 NFL's contract with DTV expires and everything from Rog seems to indicate they want to offer Ticket through a variety of streaming services. It seems AT&T is well aware of this hence why they aren't really giving a damn about DTV or Ticket. Several articles said rumors were swirling that AT&T would shed DTV entirely to Dish once ST deal expires. DTV's days of being the exclusive ST provider are almost certainly in their end days.

Here's a fun one...

Sunday- disconnected

Monday- 4 pm, call and offered 3 mos movie channels, free ST, $200 gift card, accepted

10 pm, service still not turned on so call back. Service is reconnected and earlier offers confirmed

Tuesday- get bill for $170, paying for movies and ST

Wednesday- talk with them for 2 hours in AM, goes nowhere but told a manager would call by end of day

never get a call

Try to login to HBOGO, password not recognized

Call again, this time told that there are no discounts available, can only get free ST by agreeing to a 2 year commitment. 

WHAT?! 

Just got off the phone with directv/att.  Best she could do is $60/month off for a year. Set up disconnect for this coming Saturday.  We shall see what chapter 2 has in store for us.

I had to cut my bill down.  Called yesterday.  Didn't do anything crazy and probably could've done better, but I was happy.  

I had an old package that was $99.00, plus ST Max from last year, and a bunch of random stuff that made my bill close to $200.

Called, dropped my package down to the base one, which is sufficient for me now honestly, got the $60 off / month for a year loyalty bonus, another $25 bill credit (1-time), and removed some stuff that honestly, I never remember adding (Some movie add-on and a ridiculous protection package).  My next bill will be a credit, and then after that ~$70/mos or so.

Honestly, what gets me is how often a rep "gives" me programming for free and says it will automatically cancel, and it doesn't.  That's how I ended up with some $5 movie add-on and the $20 warranty package (that covers iPads...WTF?).  I could fight it, but it wasn't worth the time.  This is all magnified by the fact that my internet log-in WILL NOT WORK 95% of the time, no matter what I do, and I often have no clue what I'm actually paying for.  I'm to the point now where I won't even take "free" programming because I'll forget to cancel it, even if they say I don't have to.

It’s been a mess for me so far with little things too but today is the moment of truth. Will report back

Yep, this is the number to call. 

I got my previous package (Extra) for $42 (with 3 receivers, DVR and HD it comes to $72) 12 month promotional rate with a 12 month agreement  (Not 24, so I can get ST Max again next year).

The promotion was free Sunday Ticket Max, $200 Visa Gift Card and all movie channels for 3 months. 

I might have been able to squeez a little more, but I lost patience. 

Thanks for your help!
Got my first bill emailed to me today and they autobilled me $201.63. 😡 

Spent 30 min on the phone and they said the bill was generated before the credits were applied??? He told me I would be receiving a credit for the difference on next months bill. Not very confident that is going to happen. 

I then asked that he confirm I had the $200 gift card as well as SundayTicket Max for free. He said “I’ll add SundayTicket to your promotion for free and that ones on me today”??? What in the ###k?

Round two just completed. A friend of mine got a winback e-mail with 855-691-3031 which is a new one to me. Called that and gave the spiel. Canceled due to price, going with Hulu streaming, willing to listen if they can beat that offer, etc. Got a clearly offshore rep who didn't know what I was talking about. She gave me a number of 844-207-4996 and said she couldn't transfer me. Sigh. I called 844 and got Paige.

Paige in loyalty answered and was a native English speaker. Seemed to know what she was doing. Looked up my info very quickly but then said the "winback team" would have the best offers. Took her a minute and she transferred me to winback.

Waited on hold for a while and got Alan(?). Sounded like a woman so I'll refer to Alan as she. She seemed to want to help and looked at my account and said that because I had "reconnected and canceled again yesterday" all the promotions on my account were gone. Um, no. That never happened and I told her I called to check promotions, not reconnect. She said they can't reconnect unless they read terms and conditions and I said those were never read to me. She seemed to know that the rep screwed up and genuinely understood my frustration however said she was confused as well.

She shed a little light into how their offers are generated. She said each account is given a certain number of loyalty "hearts" that drives your promotions from 1-5. She said that my account had three hearts which should've meant I was eligible for the big winback offer however after my account was canceled on 08/27, then reactivated (w/o my permission) on 08/28 and then canceled again, those offers were gone and she didn't have any power to put them back on.

At this point, I am pissed and say I want a supervisor. I reminded her several times it wasn't her. She said that if a rep reconnected my account without my permission, they could lose their job. I told her that I want to share my experience because it's not right that I'm being barred from a promotion I otherwise would be eligible for because of a rep error. She said she wanted to try the "cancellation department" to see if they could reverse everything  :confused: . WTF?

I waited on hold for almost 10 minutes with her checking back once saying they were having high call volume then eventually dropped because I had a meeting. No call back yet and no e-mail. At this point, I just want to go with Hulu streaming however I do want to make it known what happened to me so I'm going to ask again for a manager at winback. Spent an hour on the phone and ended up hanging up. Going to start my free trial with Hulu tonight and when I file my complaint, I'm telling DTV the only way they are keeping me is with the best possible offer everyone else on here has gotten.

So unbelievably frustrating. I'm pretty much done with this organization.

I think this is the end of the line for me.  I was going to call again to try so i called the 888 number and got some woman from overseas with a thick accent.  We were each having trouble understanding the other and i decided I was finished.  I didn’t feel like playing the game anymore.  So i told her i was sending back the stuff tomorrow.

she said they would have 50% off deal for me to come back.  I asked her what that would cost and she said she couldn’t do that now.....she could only do 20% now.

I said thank you and good bye.

Im tired of the games and will likely go to YouTube.tv
Box with receivers was sent back to DTV.  I am done. 

Time to figure out my streaming options.

My issue so far is similar to the above. They randomly reconnected and disconnected me for no reason and keep telling me it messed up my promotions. For the 4th day in a row, I’m supposed to get called back by win back tonight. Worst year ever for me so far. I haven’t had service since Sunday but the system still has my disconnect date in September (I requested Sunday and it did shut off).

For those of you that had a deal and they it got completely hosed up I urge you to file a complaint with the BBB. I had to do it a couple of years.I received a phone call from the ATT Office of the President was able to get my deal back and then some. 

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started 
Doing this tonight after a draft I’m having at my house. I also got email addresses for AT&T’s VP of Customer Service and am emailing her the history of this directly. I also sent the standard complaint form to the office of the President but since that’s a stock form I don’t expect much to come of it.

Honestly don’t even know if I want to reconnect but I want them to know the horrific experience they provided. I oversee a customer experience team for a living and have been in that game for 15+ years and how they handled today was appalling.

Will report back the outcome of all this.

Bit of a service nightmare.  

Long story short - took 1/2 day yesterday and from 8:30am-2:30pm today with the Tech at my house to simply get a dish mounted and my service operational. They had the tech on the phone getting the offshore call center run around for several hours after he got everything hooked up - what a poor setup!

And the amount my online account shows I am being billed is not what was agreed to.

SO, I will need to devote more time to this before it is resolved. The "notes" all show the correct number that I should be charged, but the "system" spits out a different number.

Needing a tech complicated my situation.  I will let the system settle down for a few days to before having the next round of billing calls to get everything straight. 

Not a customer friendly system. If it were not for the Sunday Ticket I would be long gone. 
So below was the deal that I agreed to 8/18, and the service SNAFU happened above on 8/19 & 8/20.

Was a bit complicated for me this year by the fact that I had my roof replaced while I had service disconnected & need a tech to come out to re-align the dish. 

Disconnected officially 8/2 - didn't miss the service at all but wanted to make sure everything was working right so called the number on the email they sent this evening - that office was closed.  So I called 888-333-0804 - and ended up with:

Choice/HD/DVR (1 TV), 

$67.12/mo + tax after discounts 

Free ST MAX

Free HBO/SHO/Starz 3 mos (need to cancel)

$300 visa gift card (had to wait for that - they originally offered $100, then $200, finally $300)

1 yr agreement

Free tech to come out & re-align dish tomorrow AM.

Not as good as last year, but enough to keep me as a customer. 
Was charged for the guy to come out the 2nd day, and was billed 3 times for the movie channels and credited for them twice.  Also got the the rewards center for the $300 gift card and discovered it was only approved for $200.

Was able to the all of the charges that shouldn't have been on the account removed (credited) - and they did give me an additional $100 credit for the wrong amount on the gift card.  

I have been assured by multiple people that my bill with be $62 + taxes going forward.  I am understandably a bit skeptical - but so for they have honored what the said, though I have had to jump through a number of hoops to guide them along that path.  Next step for me is to wait for the gift card they sent for a $139 credit on my account when I disconnected and the $200 rewards gift card for the winback and make sure the next bill is charged correctly.  Once all of that is done we should be smooth sailing until it is time to cancel the movie channels and then see who has the ST for next year.   Moral of the story is plan to devote a decent amount of time to this endeavor this year.  Factor that time in to any discounts you get.

Good luck  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue so far is similar to the above. They randomly reconnected and disconnected me for no reason and keep telling me it messed up my promotions. For the 4th day in a row, I’m supposed to get called back by win back tonight. Worst year ever for me so far. I haven’t had service since Sunday but the system still has my disconnect date in September (I requested Sunday and it did shut off).
Ok they were telling the truth about the timing issue. Once I waited 24 hours from the fake disconnect time, winback offered the good stuff.  

Amazingly enough I just had the easiest and most pleasant customer experience I've probably ever had with DTV. This was my 3rd call spread out over the past month. Each time I have called the 1-800-531-5000 number and requested to cancel our service. I posted about a month ago about the 1st call, which was one of the worst experiences. I thought I had a year of discounts still remaining and no one I talked to that time (3 or 4 different reps) had the sense to figure out when my discounts started (2017, not 2018 as I thought from reading our bill) and just kept insisting that no one ever received a discount on programming that lasted for more than a year (they were wrong). Once I figured out my mistake about when the previous discount started, I called last weekend to see what new discounts I could get. The rep last weekend confirmed that we were no longer under contract and offered a new discount of $55 per month on the Premier package with 3 receivers (no whole home DVR or whatever it is). I had already lined up discounts on the movie channels even though they are included in the Premier package. So after that 2nd call our bill was scheduled to be about $137 per month instead of over $200 per month. Still no contract.

During that 2nd call I asked about ST discounts and was told none were available at that time and I should call back closer to the start of the season. Today I called to complain about the customer service I had received during my 1st call and how confusing the billing was. The woman today was very understanding and explained some of the problems they are having. Apparently they are in the process of setting up a new billing system, which is supposed to be in place by the end of the year. Everyone will be converted to the new system and many, if not everyone, will be issued new account numbers. This probably explains why some people have reported calling certain numbers and being told their account isn't in the system. She claims that the new system will be easier for customers to understand their bills.

She confirmed the discounts we already have and when I told her that I've been able to get ST discounted in the past but wasn't able to do that during my 2nd call she said she could take care of that for me. Then she asked if getting ST (not Max) for free was a big enough discount. Problem solved, just like that. She didn't mention anything about having to go back on contract and I forgot to ask. I went online shortly after finishing the call and it listed ST as part of our programming and in the recent activity section it listed ST again with no charge. I'll keep monitoring our account but it seems like everything went really well and didn't require cancelling our service or going on to a new contract. Wish I could get that rep every time I call DTV.

Called back 855 267 4160 from win back email.

Was able to get ST MAX, HBO, $200 Visa card, no contract.  The same as last year.  My disconnect was 9/18.   

Called back 855 267 4160 from win back email.

Was able to get ST MAX, HBO, $200 Visa card, no contract.  The same as last year.  My disconnect was 9/18.   
I made the call to cancel 3 days ago.  Still haven't received email or call.  Shut off date is 9/4.  Do I wait for them to make next move or just call the win back #?

I made the call to cancel 3 days ago.  Still haven't received email or call.  Shut off date is 9/4.  Do I wait for them to make next move or just call the win back #?
others have said to just call and tell them you got the email.     Were you on auto pay with your account?

ok..   so it's just random whether you get an email or call back.   Twice I've been disconnected fully and had a San Antonio number call me and this time I was scheduled for 9/18 and got a win back email.    Are you realted to @Binky The Doormat   They hate him.
They were better to me this year, but in order to get the all goodies, I had to completely disconnect for 1+ days.  

I received no win-back call, no win-back email.   :bag:

Which package and did you get a bill credit off of it too?
XTRA$101.99

HBO$17.99

Advanced Receiver$15.00

TV Access Fee$7.00

Regional Sports Fee$1.80

Promotions/Discounts:

$8 Off HBO For 12 Months Loyalty Upgrade Offer-$8.00

$60 off for 12 months-$60.00

Total - $76.10/month

Called a couple weeks ago, got squadoosh from the CSR (free iPhone 7 if i switch to ATT cell service), so I set up disconnect for tomorrow. Called the 855# today jsut to see what was what. Same as everyone, too old of a custr to find account  :rolleyes:

Called the 800 #. "Sorry Mr Simsarge, no soup for you"  :kicksrock:

I already did the SportsTV thing from the cut the cable thread and it works great. Since I'm out of town through the weekend anyways, I'll do the couple days off strategy and see what happens when I get back. 

My last experience made me so irritated I decided to hit them on multiple fronts or as I told my wife - 'scorched earth'. Hate doing that and can count on one hand the number of times I have in 20 years of being a responsible adult but man they pissed me off. Submitted a complaint to the Office of the President, did the BBB thing and sent an e-mail to their VP of Customer Service. Got a call at the end of the day yesterday from a CA number from someone saying she was with the President of AT&T's office. She was very nice and said she was my 'case manager'. Conversation went like this:

"Mr. ACG, looks like it was pretty frustrating - talking to like 15 people and all"

"Yes - extremely"

"I completely understand. And it looks like you want to come back but we have to take care of you"

"100% correct - same winback deal as last year"

"Same deal or you're gone - that simple right?"

"That simple"

She said she was escalating this within the winback team but their top leadership was out until Tuesday due to the holiday. She said to call her with any questions and gave me her direct phone number. Said she would follow-up with me on Tuesday and I actually believe her. So it's Hulu streaming over the weekend on a free trial and we shall see what they deliver next week. At this point though, I'm done talking to the regular toll free numbers.

Man, so when I was finally going to leave DirecTV, they just pulled me back in.

I had zero intention of staying with them when I set up my cancellation.  I already ordered YouTube TV and have been using it this week and it's been fine.  Got a call just now from DirecTV retention.  Guy on the other end sounded like a bumbling idiot who didn't even care that he was calling and I almost hung up.  But then figured I had nothing to lose.  Told him I'm switching to a streaming service, mostly care about sports and I'll only be paying $50/month.  Unless he can beat that significantly, I'm not interested.  FWIW, I have the Choice package with 4 DVR receivers (Whole Home Genie) and pay $67/month with taxes.  Those credits were ending this month anyway.

--Just got upgraded from my Choice to Xtra.

--Keep my 4 receivers and Whole Home Genie with DVR service

--New price is $42/month + taxes

--Also sending me a $200 Visa GC

--No commitment.

I asked about Sunday Ticket, but he said I had it last year and couldn't do it for me with what he had.  He said just call in a couple weeks and they can probably hook me up.   Don't really care about ST anymore, though, so it didn't matter.

I had to take this for < $30/month for the next year. 
I’m about to go through this again this year, but last year DirecTV paid me to watch their service when it was all said and done. The key was negotiating the lowest possible price WITHOUT Sunday Ticket, then calling back Tuesday or Wednesday after week one, telling them you were told to call back, and then listening. 

Last year they told me they had to charge me for Sunday Ticket at $65.99/mo for six months, but could add a credit of $60 off per month ... for 12 months. 

Not holding my breath I can pull off the same thing this year, but we’ll see. 

Just bought a condo and can now go back to DirecTV. Have Spectrum now and it's ok..... Might just stay with it as I have no desire to play their game anymore. These stories this year are giving me heartburn just reading them.

Just called to disconnect and gave a disconnect date of a week from tomorrow. They didn't even try to keep me or offer anything (although he did say you're always be welcomed back with a great offer) Anyway I'll try calling back in a few days using the win back email and report back. 

Curious how long did you wait after calling to setup the disconnect on the 18th? 
I called like on the 24th an set up disconnect on that phone call.  I've always set up disconnect on first call.  9/18 was the disconnect day as I was pid through that day.

I called like on the 24th an set up disconnect on that phone call.  I've always set up disconnect on first call.  9/18 was the disconnect day as I was pid through that day.
So you don't call them back to try the win back deal until after your service is already disconnected? 

Last edited by a moderator:
So you don't call them until after your service is already disconnected? 
call them before.  Tell them wife and I need to cut back.  Set a disconnect date.  I don't try and negotiate on first call.  Just set the date.  This time, two days later I received the win back email with 855 number.  I called that two days letter and got my deal.

Users who are viewing this thread