What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (5 Viewers)

sho nuff said:
Good luck.

last 3 days were a pain in the ###
Same here. I should have known that first 12 minute phone call was too good to be true. I spent about another 5 hours yesterday and today getting everything straightened out. 

Same here. I should have known that first 12 minute phone call was too good to be true. I spent about another 5 hours yesterday and today getting everything straightened out. 
I'm really ready to end it with DTV...the past year or so of customer service has been awful. 

They don't value their customers anymore. 

I'm really ready to end it with DTV...the past year or so of customer service has been awful. 

I just switched to Dish.  Installation was yesterday and I have yet to receive a call from Directv trying to keep me.  Customer for over 15 years.  

I was close...but was already switching to ATT Fiber for internet as Comcast has been blowing goats as far as reliability in the house and their customer service is even worse.

I was ready to end with DTV...but would still be dealing likely with ATT Uverse + internet anyway.

Google Fiber can't get here fast enough.

RJS113, what issues did you have? Yesterday you said all went well?

RJS113, what issues did you have? Yesterday you said all went well?
First it took them a while to figure out how to reset my email so I could log into my account. When I was finally able to log in, I noticed that none of the credits I should have were showing up on my account. So I called to make sure everything was processed ok. First agent I talk to says, I can see in your order you should have free HBO, Sunday Ticket, gift card, etc., but none of them have actually been applied to your account. He couldn't fixed, and I was transferred to I don't know how many different people before finally getting it straightened out. 

I was also hung up on at least 10 times when they tried to put me on hold, and of course they never called me back (even though they verify my phone number at the beginning of every call). 

Instead of 6 months free HBO, I ended up with 3 months of HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax. I'd probably prefer 6 months of just HBO, but I would of needed to be transferred to another rep to fix it, and just didn't want to talk to anyone else at that point. 

The $200 gift card was a headache. The first rep I talked to when I accepted the offer said I'd need to go to DIRECTV.com/redeem in order to redeem the gift card. But that didn't work. Most reps I talked to said they couldn't see any record of me being offered a gift card. I finally had someone tell me that I didn't need to go to the website to redeem it, and that it's being automatically sent to me in 6-8 weeks. I recorded that last transaction in case it doesn't show up. 

I spent over 3 hours on the phone with them Saturday, and 2 more yesterday. Their customer service felt all too similar to the terrible AT&T service I've received over the past 15 years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday Ticket, $65.52 a month ultimate package, free movie channels, $200 gift card

She even told me to call back in a year to get the same deal. :lol:

My goal when calling is just to end up getting Sunday Ticket (non-max) for free.  Or at least enough account credits to cover the cost of Sunday Ticket.  

I called yesterday, asked for Customer Retention, said I was looking to lower my costs, and was offered (and took):

$20 off a month for 12 months (with 1-yr contract commitment)
free Sunday Ticket (with 1-yr contract commitment)

I had paid full price for Sunday Ticket last year (but offset it by getting $45 off a month for 12 months), so that's why they were able to offer it for free this year.

Total call time:  27 minutes

I was following your script that you originally posted and was on phone for about an hour. I called Saturday and set up cancellation for Midnight that night. Unplugged my box so not to erase anything from DVR. Got up on Sunday morning and TV was still on. Called 866-284-2816 and followed your script. Offered a couple of different offers and went back and forth. She entered all the info as we were talking and when she hit submit it wouldn't generate a confirmation #. She put me on hold and then said it would take 48 hours to take affect because of the disconnect. I'm not to confident it will all hold but will not do anything until 48 hours pass. I did get emails saying there were changes to my account but can't login to my account yet so will see if that works after 48 hours also. Get the strange feeling I will be doing more calls...UGH!

Just made 'the call'  

I was ready to shut off service going into the call, but I would certainly listen to what was offered.   Called 1-800 DIRECTV.  asked to Cancel service.  Got transferred to another department I'm assuming was retention....

50 off per month for next 12

Free HBO Cinemax for next 6

Free SundayTicket

Brings my bill with XTRA package and couple of DVRs to 83/mo. Same that I've been running with for the past year.   I didn't get the 200 gift card, but I'm OK with that as I just wanted Sunday ticket for free.  I think I've paid for it once in the 8 years I've had DirecTV.  happy with the outcome for a 19 minute call. 

First it took them a while to figure out how to reset my email so I could log into my account. When I was finally able to log in, I noticed that none of the credits I should have were showing up on my account. So I called to make sure everything was processed ok. First agent I talk to says, I can see in your order you should have free HBO, Sunday Ticket, gift card, etc., but none of them have actually been applied to your account. He couldn't fixed, and I was transferred to I don't know how many different people before finally getting it straightened out. 

I was also hung up on at least 10 times when they tried to put me on hold, and of course they never called me back (even though they verify my phone number at the beginning of every call). 

Instead of 6 months free HBO, I ended up with 3 months of HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax. I'd probably prefer 6 months of just HBO, but I would of needed to be transferred to another rep to fix it, and just didn't want to talk to anyone else at that point. 

The $200 gift card was a headache. The first rep I talked to when I accepted the offer said I'd need to go to DIRECTV.com/redeem in order to redeem the gift card. But that didn't work. Most reps I talked to said they couldn't see any record of me being offered a gift card. I finally had someone tell me that I didn't need to go to the website to redeem it, and that it's being automatically sent to me in 6-8 weeks. I recorded that last transaction in case it doesn't show up. 

I spent over 3 hours on the phone with them Saturday, and 2 more yesterday. Their customer service felt all too similar to the terrible AT&T service I've received over the past 15 years. 
I think the problem is that you didn't wait at least 2 days with your service off.  The 1st time I did the same thing & had only my word against the incomplete notes of what the rep had promised me.  The 2nd time, I got a confirmation number & all of the stuff seems to be on there.  

If you cancel & reconnect - DO YOURSELF A FAVOR & WAIT A FEW DAYS BEFORE YOU RECONNECT!  

:2cents:

I think the problem is that you didn't wait at least 2 days with your service off.  The 1st time I did the same thing & had only my word against the incomplete notes of what the rep had promised me.  The 2nd time, I got a confirmation number & all of the stuff seems to be on there.  

If you cancel & reconnect - DO YOURSELF A FAVOR & WAIT A FEW DAYS BEFORE YOU RECONNECT!  

:2cents:
Damn it anyway, same thing happened to me.  None of the stuff promised to me is on the account. All they did was reinstate my account.  I really wish I would have wrote down the confirmation number.  I just canceled again.  What a bunch of #####.

Write down the confimation number.  She tried to switch service back on but nothing happened.  That when I got passed around to various departments finally to be told tough ####, I don't cared what you were offered.
This happened to me last year.  However,  a supervisor went back and listened the recorded call and gave me the deal I was offered.  You might ask them if the call was recorded.

This happened to me last year.  However,  a supervisor went back and listened the recorded call and gave me the deal I was offered.  You might ask them if the call was recorded.
I did and they said it probably was, I know it was, but they didn't have access to it and I would have to write a letter requesting it.  So pissed.  I might just stay disconnected or switch to cable.

I did and they said it probably was, I know it was, but they didn't have access to it and I would have to write a letter requesting it.  So pissed.  I might just stay disconnected or switch to cable.
I'm making a call to Dish this afternoon to see what plan they can offer me...I'll be happy with just the Red Zone. This now horrible customer service with DTV, no accountability with what has been offered on previous calls is a bunch of BS. It is not worth the hassle anymore. 

Damn it anyway, same thing happened to me.  None of the stuff promised to me is on the account. All they did was reinstate my account.  I really wish I would have wrote down the confirmation number.  I just canceled again.  What a bunch of #####.
I waited until I got the boxes the 2nd time & had a totally different experience.  I had them transfer me to the unlock department after I got a confirmation number & was able to get set up online & check in the following days that everything was set up as promised.  Good luck SLB.  :thumbup:

I waited until I got the boxes the 2nd time & had a totally different experience.  I had them transfer me to the unlock department after I got a confirmation number & was able to get set up online & check in the following days that everything was set up as promised.  Good luck SLB.  :thumbup:
Thank GB

I thought it was taken care of, but Sunday Ticket still wasn't on my account. Called, asked for a manager, and was told I'm not eligible for free Sunday Ticket. I just cancelled again. I'll wait a few days before trying again, but it'll have to take a damn good offer for me to stay with DTV. 

I'm making a call to Dish this afternoon to see what plan they can offer me...I'll be happy with just the Red Zone. This now horrible customer service with DTV, no accountability with what has been offered on previous calls is a bunch of BS. It is not worth the hassle anymore. 
That is basically where I was going in. Prepared to leave and deal with red zone plus NFL game plan 

That sucks.  I don't have high hopes for my call.  Might be hanging out more in the "Just Cut the Cable" thread...  :kicksrock:

Just finished. Discounts run out today. Haven't been on contract in over a year. Told them I wanted to cancel because my discounts were coming off and she said she would check to see if she could help. Came back with $80 off the Xtra package I have for 12 months.  I signed up for $10 HBO promotion a couple months ago. Asked her if that stayed on and she said that was included in the $55 a month. I asked about Sunday Ticket. Offered it for free.  Also offered free Showtime and Cinemax for 6 months. Gladly accepted. Asked her if there was a contact. She said no and because she was a directv supervisor, she was able to get better discounts. Asked her if I could get a confirmation number, but she said since it was Directv, there wasn't a confirmation number.   But she said she would keep me on the line to make sure it all went through. It did.  The end. 

I thought it was taken care of, but Sunday Ticket still wasn't on my account. Called, asked for a manager, and was told I'm not eligible for free Sunday Ticket. I just cancelled again. I'll wait a few days before trying again, but it'll have to take a damn good offer for me to stay with DTV. 
So 3 hours after I cancelled, I get an email that says:

"Action Required: Review Your DIRECTV Promotions

Some information to help you understand your promotional offers

Please take a moment to review the details of the offer(s) you accepted so you know exactly what to expect. We want you to enjoy your service! 

Remember, you can change or cancel your service at any time simply by calling us at 800.288.2020

You have selected HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME and CINEMAX included for 3 months at no extra cost. After the promotional period, youwill be billed each month the price then in effect (currently $53.99/mo.) unless you cancel by calling us before the end of the promotional period or any later monthly billing period.

You have selected NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX for the 2017 season at no extra cost. NFL Sunday Ticket Basic will automatically renew each season at the price then in effect (currently $281.94). You will be billed beginning on the date listed in the renewal reminder you will receive. You can cancel your subscription by calling us any time before the regular season starts and receive a refund of any amounts charged. No refunds will be given after the season starts.

You have selected NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX for the 2017 season at no extra cost. NFL Sunday Ticket Basic will automatically renew each season at the price then in effect (currently $281.94). You will be billed beginning on the date listed in the renewal reminder you will receive. You can cancel your subscription by calling us any time before the regular season starts and receive a refund of any amounts charged. No refunds will be given after the season starts."

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Should I call back tonight before my service is shut off? Or still wait a few days?

RJS113 said:

Please take a moment to review the details of the offer(s) you accepted so you know exactly what to expect. We want you to enjoy your service! 

Remember, you can change or cancel your service at any time simply by calling us at 800.288.2020

You have selected HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME and CINEMAX included for 3 months at no extra cost. After the promotional period, youwill be billed each month the price then in effect (currently $53.99/mo.) unless you cancel by calling us before the end of the promotional period or any later monthly billing period.

You have selected NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX for the 2017 season at no extra cost. NFL Sunday Ticket Basic will automatically renew each season at the price then in effect (currently $281.94). You will be billed beginning on the date listed in the renewal reminder you will receive. You can cancel your subscription by calling us any time before the regular season starts and receive a refund of any amounts charged. No refunds will be given after the season starts.

You have selected NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX for the 2017 season at no extra cost. NFL Sunday Ticket Basic will automatically renew each season at the price then in effect (currently $281.94). You will be billed beginning on the date listed in the renewal reminder you will receive. You can cancel your subscription by calling us any time before the regular season starts and receive a refund of any amounts charged. No refunds will be given after the season starts."

Should I call back tonight before my service is shut off? Or still wait a few days?
whats the problem?

RJS113 said:

whats the problem?
I just received the same e-mail.  :lmao: :wall:

Our problem is we were offered all of this then told f-you, now we're not offering it to you so we, at least I, shut my service down again.  I've already been WAY to aggravated today by life to call back tonight.  I guess I'll give it another shot tomorrow to tell them I have it in writing this is what the offered me.  :shrug:

@RJS113if you call tonight, please post what they have to say.  TIA 

I just received the same e-mail.  :lmao: :wall:

Our problem is we were offered all of this then told f-you, now we're not offering it to you so we, at least I, shut my service down again.  I've already been WAY to aggravated today by life to call back tonight.  I guess I'll give it another shot tomorrow to tell them I have it in writing this is what the offered me.  :shrug:

@RJS113if you call tonight, please post what they have to say.  TIA 
I could be wrong but to me that reads that you get the promotion and then after the promotion it will start billing normally.  Like, next summer they'll bill you for ST again, which is what they always do.  Am I reading it wrong?

I could be wrong but to me that reads that you get the promotion and then after the promotion it will start billing normally.  Like, next summer they'll bill you for ST again, which is what they always do.  Am I reading it wrong?
that's how I read it..and I got the same email after I reupped.

It's a long thread but I've tried to read through most of it.  Last year I just set a deactivate date and then just called before that date and got everything.  It sounds like people are having better luck with actually deactivating and waiting at least 48 hours.  Has anyone had luck with the deactivation date, being out of contract and then just calling in for a winback offer?  Or is that how Capn got grunged? 

My contract ends Sept 1st and I set a cancellation date of Sept 4th.  I was just going to wait until the 2nd or 3rd and call in to see what I could get.  Any advice is appreciated.

It's a long thread but I've tried to read through most of it.  Last year I just set a deactivate date and then just called before that date and got everything.  It sounds like people are having better luck with actually deactivating and waiting at least 48 hours.  Has anyone had luck with the deactivation date, being out of contract and then just calling in for a winback offer?  Or is that how Capn got grunged? 

My contract ends Sept 1st and I set a cancellation date of Sept 4th.  I was just going to wait until the 2nd or 3rd and call in to see what I could get.  Any advice is appreciated.
I called the day my discounts were scheduled to come off and got $80 off a month for 12 months and the Ticket. I told them I wanted to cancel and they started offering stuff. 

Update on my situation...

I cancelled service last week when mrs. greyhorse went out of town.  I was in month 12 of 12 of a $50 a month discount.  Agreement satisfied.  Next billing cycle was set to start September 1st.  I have been without service for 7 days.

Got the boxes from Directv yesterday.  Called the 888 number in the box that asked me to come back to Directv,

Call did not start off very auspiciously.  Guy didn't seem very upbeat, didn't seem to really want to try to win me back, didn't really want to chit chat much, none of the usual "oh yeah, I know what you mean, my wife hates football too" kind of stuff, etc.  He wasn't really forthcoming with the offers and instead was trying to talk me into changing my AT&T cellphone plan to get a better rate.  I almost was going to hang up and call again. Finally I said, let's cut to the chase, what can you offer me to get me back?  I'll deal with the cellphone stuff on my own.

I ended up with:

- XTRA all-included (includes the $7/tv fee - I have 3, the HD fee, the DVR fee.  typically this added an extra $34 a month on top of the plan fee) for $77

- 3 months of movie channels (don't really need but whatever, it's free.  just need to remember to cancel)

- Sunday ticket Max

- $200 gift card - said "it should be available" and that he would escalate it.  If I don't get it, he said to call back.

- $10 off a month for the first 2 months.  not sure why this was there, but sure, I'll take it.

- 1 year agreement, but $77 a month fee locked in for 2 years if I choose to stay after a year.

I got a confirmation number.  My only concern is I have yet to receive an email detailing the new contract (it's only been thirty minutes since I hung up), and of course I want to make sure I get the $200.  If it doesn't go as planned, I'll be calling back.  Call took about an hour because the guy talked slow and seemed to have to check his computer a lot of times.  I'm guessing close to $1000 in services/savings, although I'll have to do the math later.

Just FYI, I think last year right around this time is when the deals started slowly drying up.

I set a date but they called me back the same day.  I didn't get the GC though, got all the other stuff and took it to save the hassle.

Update on my situation...

I cancelled service last week when mrs. greyhorse went out of town.  I was in month 12 of 12 of a $50 a month discount.  Agreement satisfied.  Next billing cycle was set to start September 1st.  I have been without service for 7 days.

Got the boxes from Directv yesterday.  Called the 888 number in the box that asked me to come back to Directv,

Call did not start off very auspiciously.  Guy didn't seem very upbeat, didn't seem to really want to try to win me back, didn't really want to chit chat much, none of the usual "oh yeah, I know what you mean, my wife hates football too" kind of stuff, etc.  He wasn't really forthcoming with the offers and instead was trying to talk me into changing my AT&T cellphone plan to get a better rate.  I almost was going to hang up and call again. Finally I said, let's cut to the chase, what can you offer me to get me back?  I'll deal with the cellphone stuff on my own.

I ended up with:

- XTRA all-included (includes the $7/tv fee - I have 3, the HD fee, the DVR fee.  typically this added an extra $34 a month on top of the plan fee) for $77

- 3 months of movie channels (don't really need but whatever, it's free.  just need to remember to cancel)

- Sunday ticket Max

- $200 gift card - said "it should be available" and that he would escalate it.  If I don't get it, he said to call back.

- $10 off a month for the first 2 months.  not sure why this was there, but sure, I'll take it.

- 1 year agreement, but $77 a month fee locked in for 2 years if I choose to stay after a year.

I got a confirmation number.  My only concern is I have yet to receive an email detailing the new contract (it's only been thirty minutes since I hung up), and of course I want to make sure I get the $200.  If it doesn't go as planned, I'll be calling back.  Call took about an hour because the guy talked slow and seemed to have to check his computer a lot of times.  I'm guessing close to $1000 in services/savings, although I'll have to do the math later.
I'm not sure they always send a confirmation email.

I'm not sure they always send a confirmation email.
I ended up going on chat to confirm with them about an hour after I completed the call.  The rep outlined exactly what I was getting, and I took a picture of it with my phone.  Looks like I am indeed getting everything we agreed upon.  Also got an email a short while later asking me to log in to check my new programming.  I'm having trouble getting back into my account, the rep said he reset it and asked me to wait two days before trying to log-in.  Don't quite understand that, but I'll check in a few days.

It does seem like this year more than ever, it was really hit or miss in terms of offers given before cancellation.  But once your service is actually off, it seems pretty routine to be able to get the deal as outlined above and in other posts.

I've been all set to do the dance and reup with Directv.  Problem is our internet service with CenturyLink is a travesty lately.  Shorts out for a minute or two here and there.  Resets netflix, yada yada.  Anyway, thinking about just taking the local cable company offer as is and getting rid of Directv cause I'll still have Redzone, get Pac12, and have reliable internet.  Sigh.

My recommendation: Unplug it & leave it unplugged & wait a few days.  Then call & IF you have a confirmation number hook it back up.  I also recommend recording whatever call you have & be very clear about what the offer is.  This year it seems that getting the offer is no problem.  Getting them to follow through can be a disaster if you rush it (it was for me for sure).  Even after having a confirmation number, I hooked up the box the next day & had to get on the phone because the receiver was not activated (30 minutes of tech support).  Also had to spend about 40 minutes getting set up again online (did this right after I signed up again).  Many more steps this year.  I also went to check on directv/redeem to claim gift card & I wasn't listed.  They said you have 90 days, so I'll see if they mail me anything before calling again.  

At this rate, I might as well just work my actual job & pay full price!   :rant:
Was still not listed on the directv/redeem site, so called the rewards center & they did what they need to & say the $200 GC will go out 9/6.  

Rewards phone # (877) 258-1427.  That should do it for my DirecTV dance this year (just have to remember to call & cancel the free movie channels & call & take off auto-renew from ST before next year.

Good luck to all still wading through the process! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread