What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (6 Viewers)

I thought it was taken care of, but Sunday Ticket still wasn't on my account. Called, asked for a manager, and was told I'm not eligible for free Sunday Ticket. I just cancelled again. I'll wait a few days before trying again, but it'll have to take a damn good offer for me to stay with DTV. 
Update:

They called me on Tuesday trying to get me to reactivate my account. I explained what I've already dealt with, and said they can honor the same promotions I was offered before. The promised everything would be added to my account right away and there wouldn't be any issues. I know I should have waited another day or two, but figured since they were calling me this time, maybe it would be different. Like an idiot, I accepted  

Today I go online and none of the offers are showing up on my account  I didn't even have Sunday Ticket.  I chatted with customer service to verify that the promotions were added to my account.  They weren't. He said my monthly bill will be $156. The chat rep said he'd have to escalate the issue, and I'd hear back with 5-7 days.  I told him to just cancel my account. 

He transferred me to the retentions chat, and I finally got it taken care of. I actually made out even better than the original offer I got:

$39 credit for 12 months for Choice

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz for 6 months

$200 Visa gift card

$100 bill credit

I didn't even ask for the bill credit. She gave it to me when I told her I've spent 7 hours on the phone with them since Saturday, and two more chatting. Looks like she also threw in another sports package I didn't ask for.

I'm so glad this is finally taken care of. Next year I'll definitely wait a few days before reconnecting.  Lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

They called me on Tuesday trying to get me to reactivate my account. I explained what I've already dealt with, and said they can honor the same promotions I was offered before. The promised everything would be added to my account right away and there wouldn't be any issues. I know I should have waited another day or two, but figured since they were calling me this time, maybe it would be different. Like an idiot, I accepted  

Today I go online and none of the offers are showing up on my account  I didn't even have Sunday Ticket.  I chatted with customer service to verify that the promotions were added to my account.  They weren't. He said my monthly bill will be $156. The chat rep said he'd have to escalate the issue, and I'd hear back with 5-7 days.  I told him to just cancel my account. 

He transferred me to the retentions chat, and I finally got it taken care of. I actually made out even better than the original offer I got:

$39 credit for 12 months for Choice

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz for 6 months

$200 Visa gift card

$100 bill credit

I didn't even ask for the bill credit. She gave it to me when I told her I've spent 7 hours on the phone with them since Saturday, and two more chatting. Looks like she also threw in another sports package I didn't ask for.

I'm so glad this is finally taken care of. Next year I'll definitely wait a few days before reconnecting.  Lesson learned.
Congrats on successfully completing the obstacle course!   :hifive:

Still under contract for a month, called to check in on offers. Offered $50 off per month for 12 mo, no contract extension. Also offered free redzone standalone (it does exist) when I asked about NFL. As easy as ever, I was happy. 

And then to the verification dept. First rep whiffed and offered me a credit that required 12 mo committment, even though I asked and was told otherwise multiple times. 

Transferred two more times and 45 more mins later it got resolved. Such a hassle every year. 

Still under contract for a month, called to check in on offers. Offered $50 off per month for 12 mo, no contract extension. Also offered free redzone standalone (it does exist) when I asked about NFL. As easy as ever, I was happy. 

And then to the verification dept. First rep whiffed and offered me a credit that required 12 mo committment, even though I asked and was told otherwise multiple times. 

Transferred two more times and 45 more mins later it got resolved. Such a hassle every year. 
I was told 2 weeks or so ago the Red Zone by itself does not exist...WTH??

i would be happy with that if I can have that offered to me

I canceled my ST auto renew last week. Redzone available a week later. Guessing the removal of ST and waiting a week changed what was offered. 

10 minutes into the call
on phone for 35 minutes.  Had a legit billing question.  My contract ended 8/23.   It went up from $77.95 to $117.95.

He knocked it down to $64.98 for 12 months, gave me HBO for 3 months ( I can watch Hard Knocks now) and free Red Zone for the year.

I would have had to fully cancel to get the gift card, but just didn't want to deal with it.

My account/bill has been updated correctly.      I must have said I was switching to DISH $59.99 with one DVR, Red Zone and one yr HBO like ten times. After fixing billing issue, he put me right into the Loyalty Dept.

The one weird thing he offered was $25 off per month for two years or $50 off per month for 12 months. I had him repeat it and took the 12 months.

Anybody have any luck or frustrations with DirecTV this weekend??
Just got off the phone with them.  20 year customer. Offered Red Zone for free.  That's it.  I will cancel after the Vikings game and GOT tonight and learn to live without Sunday Ticket and my nearly $200 a month bill. 

Just got off the phone with them.  20 year customer. Offered Red Zone for free.  That's it.  I will cancel after the Vikings game and GOT tonight and learn to live without Sunday Ticket and my nearly $200 a month bill. 
That is awful...are you going to switch to Dish?

I don't either...I called yesterday and there were ZERO discounts to offer me. I currently have no contract. 

I am going to call to cancel this week...their customer service has become awful in the past year!!

Where is the loyalty?? You shouldn't have to threaten to cancel or actually cancel to receive a deal!
I threatened switching to DISH about a dozen times.  Told them I had their website up and was ready to make the switch.  Bill lowered $14/mo plus free Red Zone and 3 mo HBO.  Took 35 minutes.  When I insisted on cancelling, they transferred me to Loyalty Dept.    I could have easily got the ST Max and $200 card if I actually cancelled. The guy told me so.  I only watch Red Zone so I was fine with it.

I called on Saturday to order the fight and while I had them on the line, I simply asked if my Sunday Ticket had auto-renewed yet, and to confirm that it renewed at the standard ST price, and not the Max price - rep gave me Max for free, and $50 off without even asking for a discount.  I'm thrilled b/c that basically means I don't have to do much for my "annual call," and I didn't have to extend my contract. 

My service was turned off at midnight. Just awaiting the call or email now...I hope it comes soon. 
I never got a call or email, but I know some did.

This was the first year I actually went through with cancellation.  Much less painful than I thought it would be.  I let service disconnect.  DVR shows still there, still have my Netflix streaming through Apple TV, it wasn't really that difficult at all to be without tv for a while.  Gives you much more leverage to get max discounts if you're not their customer anymore.  Previous years I always took what I thought was their best offer in order to maintain service.  From now on, I'll just cancel and sign up again for a 1 year contract.

I made the reconnect call while I was out of town.  So when I got home, the service hadn't been reconnected yet.  Tech support says that often happens if you let your service disconnect and they had to have me go to some pages in the setup menu and they had to reset on their end.  Also lost online account access for a bit, but eventually that got restored as well.

Some small bumps in the road this year and certainly more anxiety with having the service off, but in the end, I think I count about $1300 in discounts and free services, so I'm a happy man.

I never got a call or email, but I know some did.

This was the first year I actually went through with cancellation.  Much less painful than I thought it would be.  I let service disconnect.  DVR shows still there, still have my Netflix streaming through Apple TV, it wasn't really that difficult at all to be without tv for a while.  Gives you much more leverage to get max discounts if you're not their customer anymore.  Previous years I always took what I thought was their best offer in order to maintain service.  From now on, I'll just cancel and sign up again for a 1 year contract.

I made the reconnect call while I was out of town.  So when I got home, the service hadn't been reconnected yet.  Tech support says that often happens if you let your service disconnect and they had to have me go to some pages in the setup menu and they had to reset on their end.  Also lost online account access for a bit, but eventually that got restored as well.

Some small bumps in the road this year and certainly more anxiety with having the service off, but in the end, I think I count about $1300 in discounts and free services, so I'm a happy man.
So you called them? Which number? Did you have to tell them you'd gotten an email or just called as a "new customer?"

Gift card still not showing in rewards center, yet my sister who called 3 weeks ago got hers in the mail already. At this point Im not even gonna check anymore. If they send it, good. If not, screw em. Ive half ### cut the cord anyway so this is the last time Ill jump through any hoops for DTV or make any calls to try to get a deal. Theyve signed me for the last time.

Efritch4 said:
Where is the loyalty?? You shouldn't have to threaten to cancel or actually cancel to receive a deal!
shouldn't have to but you do.   Hell most companies just tell you to pound sand and cancel with no deal period.  Local cable company isn't going to give you a deal to stay,

jeter23 said:
So you called them? Which number? Did you have to tell them you'd gotten an email or just called as a "new customer?"
just tell them you got an email or you want the same deal your friend got to come back.  I think the number was a few pages back or just call the regular number and get to the retention dept.  I just said I got an email last year, this year they called me before I was actually shut off.

jeter23 said:

just tell them you got an email or you want the same deal your friend got to come back.  I think the number was a few pages back or just call the regular number and get to the retention dept.  I just said I got an email last year, this year they called me before I was actually shut off.
Yes, there are two numbers a couple pages back.  Because I actually disconnected, they shipped me the boxes in the mail to send back the receivers, and there was an 888 number on the flyer asking me to reconsider.  I'm at work and don't have it on me but I think that number was also posted several pages ago.  I think that number is only for people that actually had their service off and it is the reconnect department.  Simply calling and saying you got an email or missed a call is all you need.

Getting $1300 is pretty sweet.  That's probably more than I'll pay for the entire year of service.

I keep reading about "checking for your gift card".  Where do you do this?  They said there would be a card in the mail and I would get it in several weeks.

On the phone now, they are offering ST MAX for free and nothing else. I think I'll take it just so I don't have to call back. 

My service is set to cancel on Sept 1 (this coming Friday).   Does that mean any time during the day, midnight rolling into Sept 1?

Also currious how long to wait for a call or email.   The nice thing about canceling this weekend is I will be out of town for a portion and not really miss the DTV.   The college games I want to watch will on on at bars, etc....

Just called again and canceled.  Lady said she was from the customer retention department.  She offered $40.00 off DTV for a year.  Told her that wasn't going to do it.  She went over some stuff about billing and sending a prepaid box to send the receivers back.  Told her I was pretty shocked they were just going to let a 20 year customer go like that and she said OK.  Service set to disconnect on the 31st.  No more $200 bills.  I'm stunned at what just happen.  lol

Just called again and canceled.  Lady said she was from the customer retention department.  She offered $40.00 off DTV for a year.  Told her that wasn't going to do it.  She went over some stuff about billing and sending a prepaid box to send the receivers back.  Told her I was pretty shocked they were just going to let a 20 year customer go like that and she said OK.  Service set to disconnect on the 31st.  No more $200 bills.  I'm stunned at what just happen.  lol
It's been very hit or miss this year.  Don't sweat it, once you're disconnected, now you hold the power.  They will surely not turn you away when you call back to get the offers described here.  Because the alternative is that they don't get you as a customer.  It's a little more inconvenient, but it seems to be the easiest way to cut the crap and score the deal.

It's been very hit or miss this year.  Don't sweat it, once you're disconnected, now you hold the power.  They will surely not turn you away when you call back to get the offers described here.  Because the alternative is that they don't get you as a customer.  It's a little more inconvenient, but it seems to be the easiest way to cut the crap and score the deal.
From the looks of it you seem to be correct.  Problem is, I'm starting to get fired up over the whole deal.  Seriously wondering if they even deserve me as a customer.  I just figured out that over the years I've likely sent this company north of 30 Thousand dollars.  THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS ???  Holy crap !

Called and asked to cancel.  Was able to get bill down to $50 plus tax, Redzone free, and 6 months of HBO.  Was willing to stay for the cheaper cost and Redzone.  Didn't want to go thru the hassle of cancelling and calling back, particularly since college football this weekend is something I'm really looking forward to.  Cheaper than any other deal I can get locally, and I get local HDs which Dish does not have in my area.

A little nervous that they would not give me a confirmation number nor an email confirming offer.  

It went the same for me as it did last year. Yesterday I called and canceled. This evening I got a call from "my" account manager. (The call came from Auburn, AL, for those who screen their phone calls.) After some cursory questions about why I canceled (I said money) and what channels I like to watch, I was offered $39 off per month for 12 months on the Choice package; other discounts that got rid of the stupid equipment and DVR fees, as well as that stupid regional sports fee; another $10 off for agreeing to auto-pay; HBO, Showtime, and Starz for three months; complimentary Sunday Ticket Max (I point out the "complimentary" thing because that's not a word they've used before); and a $200 Visa gift card. Total monthly bill will be around $50. The nice women I spoke to threw out the "perfect solution" thing, which I think was their go-to phrase last year.

It went the same for me as it did last year. Yesterday I called and canceled. This evening I got a call from "my" account manager. (The call came from Auburn, AL, for those who screen their phone calls.) After some cursory questions about why I canceled (I said money) and what channels I like to watch, I was offered $39 off per month for 12 months on the Choice package; other discounts that got rid of the stupid equipment and DVR fees, as well as that stupid regional sports fee; another $10 off for agreeing to auto-pay; HBO, Showtime, and Starz for three months; complimentary Sunday Ticket Max (I point out the "complimentary" thing because that's not a word they've used before); and a $200 Visa gift card. Total monthly bill will be around $50. The nice women I spoke to threw out the "perfect solution" thing, which I think was their go-to phrase last year.
Wow, wow, wow.  All that and they took off your equipment and DVR fees?  How many TV's?  Hope like hell I get a call. 

OH, and I forgot to mention that yesterday the rep even told me that if I cancel I wont be have any discounts or offers available to me for two years.  Has anyone else had them say this?

OH, and I forgot to mention that yesterday the rep even told me that if I cancel I wont be have any discounts or offers available to me for two years.  Has anyone else had them say this?
They are in sales. Some will say whatever to keep you online and make a sale.  Just hang up and call someone else.

I wasn't offered a gift card but with my fiasco I thought I would check anyways. That reward center page won't open for me. It just opens a blank page with tiny font in the upper left corner that says "server happy". Is everyone else getting the same issue?

Wow, wow, wow.  All that and they took off your equipment and DVR fees?  How many TV's?  Hope like hell I get a call. 
Directv now apparently offers something called "All Included", so "Choice All Included", "Extra All Included", etc.  Basically it takes those extra fees ($7 per tv), DVR ($10), and HD ($10) and lumps it into the package price.  I have 3 tvs, I think the first tv always had no charge, but for the other two tvs and the DVR/HD, that was an extra $34.  Extra all included for my 3 tvs is $124, then they gave me $54 off, so it's $70 a month.

Important to note that if you don't want a 2 year agreement, decline the "free" equipment upgrade.

I wouldn't wait for the call.  I waited for 7 days after I cancelled in part because I was traveling, but no call ever came.  I called and got the whole deal, although I forgot to try to pry another extra $100 gift card.  Just call and say you got an email or saw a missed call.  "What is your absolute best offer that you can give me to reconnect my service?"  If it's anything short of what's been discussed here, then you say thank you and hang up.  Then call back later and try with someone else.

Just called as contract was about to end and discounts about to fall off.  I was getting $45 off per month.  Was just offered to make it $55 off per month for next 12 months, free ST and free RZ with 1 year contract extension.  Call took 15 minutes and I just accepted.  Didn't feel the need to push further and happy with that as my bill as my whole bill is under $80/month and now will be about $65/month.

Just called as contract was about to end and discounts about to fall off.  I was getting $45 off per month.  Was just offered to make it $55 off per month for next 12 months, free ST and free RZ with 1 year contract extension.  Call took 15 minutes and I just accepted.  Didn't feel the need to push further and happy with that as my bill as my whole bill is under $80/month and now will be about $65/month.
Similar to what I got 

I wasn't offered a gift card but with my fiasco I thought I would check anyways. That reward center page won't open for me. It just opens a blank page with tiny font in the upper left corner that says "server happy". Is everyone else getting the same issue?
Same here.

shouldn't have to but you do.   Hell most companies just tell you to pound sand and cancel with no deal period.  Local cable company isn't going to give you a deal to stay,
Just went through this with Spectrum. They told me the online prices were only for new customers. They told me if I wanted to I could cancel but the $40 a month increase was the best they could do, and I should be happy that is all they raised my bill. They said when they switch me off the Time Warner lineup and onto their line up it will go up again. When I have to get converters for the tvs I don't have a box for, it will go up again. I came in here looking for inspiration to make the switch to direct tv but it seems like most of you are fed up with them as well.

Just went through this with Spectrum. They told me the online prices were only for new customers. They told me if I wanted to I could cancel but the $40 a month increase was the best they could do, and I should be happy that is all they raised my bill. They said when they switch me off the Time Warner lineup and onto their line up it will go up again. When I have to get converters for the tvs I don't have a box for, it will go up again. I came in here looking for inspiration to make the switch to direct tv but it seems like most of you are fed up with them as well.
actually I would say the opposite myself, I'm not fed up with it. I am fine playing this game every august to get free sunday ticket and 50 bucks off my bill for the year (I haven't payed for the ticket in like 10 years I bet), no other companies are going to do that. I would say go for it, especially if you want the ticket.

I got the same message. I just chatted with them today.  They said 30 days after reactivation that I would get the gift card sent to my email at which time I could then go to the website to redeem.

actually I would say the opposite myself, I'm not fed up with it. I am fine playing this game every august to get free sunday ticket and 50 bucks off my bill for the year (I haven't payed for the ticket in like 10 years I bet), no other companies are going to do that. I would say go for it, especially if you want the ticket.
Yeah.  It is frustrating as it hasn't been as easy as in year's past.  But I understand they are a business trying to make money.  I can deal with a little customer service ineptitude and temporary disconnection of service if it results in my haul of $1300 value this year.  And the beauty is that you can do it all again next year.  They realize that there are other options for consumers and want to maintain you.  It's really a game of chicken.  But if the worst that you have to do is to disconnect your service for a few days, then why wouldn't you?  Once you disconnect, then you're essentially a new customer and you have the power.

Users who are viewing this thread