What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What if only subscribers could post during the season? (1 Viewer)

Scooby1974

Footballguy
It's just a thought...but why doesn't Joe lock out those that don't subscribe so we that don't have to put up with all the crap posts and wasted time of reading through them. If you are committed enough to be a subscriber, you most likely are able to

1. put coherent sentences and thoughts together.

2. know what should be posted where.

3. know when and when NOT to start a thread.

It seems to me it would save the mods time AND would waste a lot less of the subscribers time.

Just my $.02

It's just a thought...but why doesn't Joe lock out those that don't subscribe so we that don't have to put up with all the crap posts and wasted time of reading through them. If you are committed enough to be a subscriber, you most likely are able to 1. put coherent sentences and thoughts together.2. know what should be posted where.3. know when and when NOT to start a thread.It seems to me it would save the mods time AND would waste a lot less of the subscribers time. Just my $.02
Plenty of idiots are subscribers.

Not every quality poster subscribes, and not every junk poster is free loader. I post crap all the time and I subscribe. :bye:

This comes up multiple times each year. The boards will always remain free and anyone can post. That's just how it is, and it's not going to change.

I would become a subscriber again if they made the Shark Pool subscription only from say like July 31st to the NFL playoffs. As of right now, there's enough info in the SP to do well in my fantasy football leagues.

It never fails to amaze me that people will take the effort to post in a thread saying that they're not interested in the topic. Or worse, sidetrack the thread bellyaching about its perceived lack of quality. I don't understand why people can't just ignore threads if they really don't care about the topic.

It's just a thought...but why doesn't Joe lock out those that don't subscribe so we that don't have to put up with all the crap posts and wasted time of reading through them. If you are committed enough to be a subscriber, you most likely are able to 1. put coherent sentences and thoughts together.2. know what should be posted where.3. know when and when NOT to start a thread.It seems to me it would save the mods time AND would waste a lot less of the subscribers time. Just my $.02
Plenty of idiots are subscribers.
:hey:

I do not know why anyone would pay to post here when there are plenty of other quality sites to post for free. The subscription option is nice. Many folks post on a variety of sites while only subscribing to one site.

A separate board just for subscribers might make some people happy. Personally, I would still just post in the Shark Pool tho. I really don't think the quality of posts would be any different in the subscriber-only board.

It's just a thought...but why doesn't Joe lock out those that don't subscribe so we that don't have to put up with all the crap posts and wasted time of reading through them. If you are committed enough to be a subscriber, you most likely are able to

It seems to me it would save the mods time AND would waste a lot less of the subscribers time.

Just my $.02
Yeah, like this one.

From a business perspective this is completely stupid.Football season is when FBG gets the most traffic, traffic is where you get your new customers.

You seriously think that having twenty dollars of disposable income implies some great intellect?

From a business perspective this is completely stupid.Football season is when FBG gets the most traffic, traffic is where you get your new customers.
Then keep the forums open for public viewing, and if you want to post, then you pay.Quality over quantity.Sincerely,-Dedicated and paying FBG subscriber

I think you have it backwards, knowing as I do that many of the non-subscribers post some of the most intelligent stuff on these boards.It's actually rather logical... the guys who CANNOT figure out who to start, CANNOT think for themselves coherently, CANNOT understand rules and directions are the MORE likely ones to subscribe to a site so they don't need to THINK about their team, they can just follow the "cheat sheet."

I would become a subscriber again if they made the Shark Pool subscription only from say like July 31st to the NFL playoffs. As of right now, there's enough info in the SP to do well in my fantasy football leagues.
To an extent I agree, but the projections are top of the notch and to be honest, 30ish dollars a year isn't a pocket-book blow.

As Joe & David have said many, many times this is not going to happen, so do a better job of picking the threads/authors to read and relax

A separate board just for subscribers might make some people happy. Personally, I would still just post in the Shark Pool tho. I really don't think the quality of posts would be any different in the subscriber-only board.
Maybe a few less hilarious "bump Finley" posts like you've got in your arsenal? :rolleyes:

or fbg could just employ a stricter modding environment.

I would like a subscriber only forum separate from the SP where we could discuss in depth weekly articles since it is paid content.

I don't understand why you cannot have both.

Subscriber, writer, contributor

-MOP

I would like a subscriber only forum separate from the SP where we could discuss in depth weekly articles since it is paid content.I don't understand why you cannot have both.Subscriber, writer, contributor-MOP
I think the argument against this is that it would dilute/undermine the shark pool. HOWEVER, it could be done if the subscriber only section was limited to subscription only topics, which would require heavy modding. Question is would you pay more for this extra service? I wouldn't.

I would like a subscriber only forum separate from the SP where we could discuss in depth weekly articles since it is paid content.I don't understand why you cannot have both.Subscriber, writer, contributor-MOP
I dont think anyone is saying that, in fact I think the subscribers (not being one myself) should have their own forum.What im suggesting is, the quality of posts wont go up if its subscriber only, FBG will lose business and people will just go elsewhere to get their info in an appropriate forum.

as the smarter subscriber YOU didnt follow your third commandment and know NOT to post this waste of space.

Its unAmerican not to enjoy wading through pages of "I just added Lynch" or "I just dropped Julius Jones" in the the Lynch to Seattle thread in order to read the few posts in it regarding how it may pan out in Buffalo and Seattle.

As I already said, this is a moot thread as it's not ever, and I do mean never, NEVER going to happen.

But what I find funny is that people think that a subscriber only board would eliminate inane and pointless threads and that every post would be one for the annals of great posting.

I suspect that there would be just another forum with name calling, trolling, bickering, and plenty of drivel to sift through. But I guess since folks would be paying for the priviledge then somehow they would be able to better able to stomach things.

Since when did paying a fee for fantasy advice make one more knowledgeable?
I don't believe he was suggesting that there is a knowledge gap based on being a subscriber, but rather a greater quantity of posts, comments, and "stuff" to sift through to get to what he sees as valuable. That said, as others mentioned, from a business perspective it would be a counterproductive model since it would limit FBGs' opportunity to reach a larger population and hopefully drive increased subscription numbers.Finally, I can understand some of the rationale in the suggestion, but at the same time it seems a bit elitist to want a special place just for your paying members. But truthfully this is often the case in capitalist society. I have cash so I move to a gated community to get away from the riff raff. I join the Masons to learn a secret handshake and widen my professional network. I pay to join a country club to have access to a nicer golf course rather than have to deal with hackers at the muni. I wouldn't begrudge someone the right to pay for access to something exclusive. If you want to spend the cash that way then more power to you. I've been playing fantasy football for 21 years in the same league and have never joined a site. Not because there isn't value in them, but rather because I never believed I would recoup the investment regarding winning. I've won some championships and had some losing seasons and have made far more than I ever spent. I appreciate the banter on this forum and will continue to read what is posted and post when I feel I have something to add (or want to complain because they pull Ray Rice inside the 5).I like the general mood here and appreciate what Joe and gang have done with making it available, but if you want to make it subscription based that is okay with me.

:excited: non-subscriber.

I just don't need the subscription. Not that it isnt an excellent value for those that do. It is.

I must say a subscription to FBG combined with this forum is a far better read than any SI or fluffy ESPN the Mag subscription.

Users who are viewing this thread