What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troy Smith starting for 49ers this week. (1 Viewer)

I think VD gets the biggest bump, Gore takes a hit and Crabtree takes the biggest hit.
NOBODY gets a bump. Gore gets 9 in the box.Check that. If you are talking about the move from Carr to T. Smith, everyone gets a bump. If it's from A. Smith to T. Smith it's no one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance this actually helps crabtree's value? Can't imagine anyone checks down as often as Alex smith.
I think Crabtree's value holds in respect to Alex versus Troy. Alex LOVED to throw that down the seem pass to VD. He ignored Crabtree until he was forced to throw to him.I think Troy, who has always been hungry and has untapped talent, will look to get his best WR involved as will the OC. No way they take their best weapon out of the playbook here.

Carr would have been a disater to the entire offenses value.
so bump VD up even more?

I think VD gets the biggest bump, Gore takes a hit and Crabtree takes the biggest hit.
NOBODY gets a bump. Gore gets 9 in the box.Check that. If you are talking about the move from Carr to T. Smith, everyone gets a bump. If it's from A. Smith to T. Smith it's no one.
Not really. there isn't a big difference between carr/a smith/t smith

Not really. there isn't a big difference between carr/a smith/t smith
Yes, there is. Anna Nicole Smith would be better than David Carr.

I think a lot of people forget that Troy was in line to be a starter in Baltimore before he went down with tonsilitis in training camp, opening the door for Flacco to take over.

Hurl Bruce said:
I think a lot of people forget that Troy was in line to be a starter in Baltimore before he went down with tonsilitis in training camp, opening the door for Flacco to take over.
kinda. flacco was the future even if troy won the job that initial year. who knows what would have happened if he succeeded, but let's not pretend Troy was being groomed for that slot.

I can't believe how many times I've read "bump VD" in this thread. No matter what you think of Alex Smith, he was very good to VD owners. The idea that Troy Smith will somehow be better for VD than the QB he had all of his best production with just doesn't seem reasonable.

49ers Week 8 starting quarterback Troy Smith's only practice reps have come with the scout team so far this season.

He's been used only to give the 49ers' defense "a look" on the practice field, running the opposition's offense. Playcaller Mike Johnson can't possibly have much confidence in the former Raven. Expect a decidedly run-first game plan against the Broncos at Wembley Stadium Sunday. Frank Gore should get a ton of work, but Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis take fantasy hits.
Source: Rotoworld

Hurl Bruce said:
kinda. flacco was the future even if troy won the job that initial year. who knows what would have happened if he succeeded, but let's not pretend Troy was being groomed for that slot.
agreed. and it seems the opposite would hold for crabtree.

Do we all REALLY think that Troy will be operating out of the identical playbook as Alex? 2 Totally different QBs, even though Smith enjoys throwing from out of the pocket (he doesn't have the rushing ability of Troy).

Better question, what kind of stat line does he need to put up in order to be the starter in week 10?

49ers Week 8 starting quarterback Troy Smith's only practice reps have come with the scout team so far this season.

He's been used only to give the 49ers' defense "a look" on the practice field, running the opposition's offense. Playcaller Mike Johnson can't possibly have much confidence in the former Raven. Expect a decidedly run-first game plan against the Broncos at Wembley Stadium Sunday. Frank Gore should get a ton of work, but Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis take fantasy hits.
Source: Rotoworld
And then they come back out in couple hours and say this on Troy and VD, granted it's Denver but I tend to think Crabtree has the most to lose FF wise and teams are going to make Troy beat them in the passing game, so that leaves Davis as the relief valve.

Vernon Davis (ankle) missed 49ers practice Wednesday.

Davis did not appear inhibited by any kind of injury while racking up 74 yards and a touchdown in Week 7. He should be ready to go for Sunday's game in London, and figures to be Troy Smith's go-to target against the Broncos.

Do we all REALLY think that Troy will be operating out of the identical playbook as Alex? 2 Totally different QBs, even though Smith enjoys throwing from out of the pocket (he doesn't have the rushing ability of Troy).Better question, what kind of stat line does he need to put up in order to be the starter in week 10?
Yes, this is the question, because he may be worth a flier if there's a chance he could keep the job. I'm wondering what people see his upside as in terms of helping a fantasy team - would it be comparable to Vince Young in the second half of last year when he took over or is that wishful thinking?He's better than Max Hall, right?

Why would the 49ers even announce Troy Smith as the QB for Sunday?

Why would you want to give DEN more time to develop a defensive scheme?

Big bump to the Gators/Broncos Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas.

Last time they were chasing Troy Smith, his team had 88 yards of total offense in the BCS Championship.

:popcorn: :thumbup:

Why would the 49ers even announce Troy Smith as the QB for Sunday?Why would you want to give DEN more time to develop a defensive scheme?
This is what I don't get. Are the practices in London open to the public? If not, why in the world would Singletary make this announcement? I think this is a desperation move, and Singletary has done something as stupid as the "team mooning". Why in the world would he make this announcement? Ditka eventually lost it when he was a HC, I see Singletary going the same way, and I've always liked him. I also wonder who made this decision, Raye's replacement at OC or Singletary? Smith hadn't taken a SNAP with the ones this year, and a new offense. My next question is can Smith get to half time before getting yanked? If he throw 2 piks? :goodposting:

If your looking for a waiver wire type guy to plug in you may want to give Ted Ginn a try. Smith & Ginn have been very good friends since childhood & played together in high school & college. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Ginn gets more playing time this week.

This is what I don't get. Are the practices in London open to the public? If not, why in the world would Singletary make this announcement? I think this is a desperation move, and Singletary has done something as stupid as the "team mooning". Why in the world would he make this announcement? Ditka eventually lost it when he was a HC, I see Singletary going the same way, and I've always liked him. I also wonder who made this decision, Raye's replacement at OC or Singletary? Smith hadn't taken a SNAP with the ones this year, and a new offense.

My next question is can Smith get to half time before getting yanked? If he throw 2 piks? :shrug:
Johnson was a QB coach on the Ravens when Troy Smith was there, so I'm quite sure he lobbied hard for Smith, and Sing signed off on it. But that does also mean, with Smith's familiarity with Johnson, that the lack of practice snaps isn't quite as meaningful as the attention it has gotten.

I can't believe how many times I've read "bump VD" in this thread. No matter what you think of Alex Smith, he was very good to VD owners. The idea that Troy Smith will somehow be better for VD than the QB he had all of his best production with just doesn't seem reasonable.
+1

He may not be "better," but I think VD will remain good. The "best" thing about VD production-wise is that he is the face of the Singletary-way . As long as Singletary remains the Niners' coach, VD will get targets. It wasn't Alex that "made" VD a fantasy star, it was Singletary.

I have no faith in Carr... And though I think Nate Davis could still turn out to very good, I don't think he's ready yet... so if Alex Smith can't play, I think Troy Smith was the best choice. My guess it that Singletary knows how poorly the OL has played when pass blocking so far this season so he chose Troy Smith to start partly because of his mobility.

Though I don't agree that VD will do better with Troy Smith at the helm than he would have with a healthy Alex Smith, I do think it is likely that VD will do well because as Cecil Lammey pointed out, Denver's LBs don't cover TEs well... as long as the ankle injury that caused VD to miss practice today doesn't hurt his play on game day.

I think it's likely that new OC Mike Johnson will use more 3-WR sets to keep defenses from stacking vs the run. The Niners started doing a lot of that last week and my guess is that it will continue. Johnson spent a year studying how the spread offense can be adapted to the NFL and I think he's going to continue to slowly but surely go away from sets that use a fullback... The Niners offense has done very poorly when using a fullback this season.

As long as Troy Smith has an "offense-minded" mentality, that alone will make the offense play better. The niners have enough skill players to press the D and dictate coverage, not just sit there and react to what the defense gives them. Hopefully Johnson sets up some plays where Smith can make some plays with his feet and give Denver something else to consider. I for one am just looking forward to seeing another QB start for SF for a change...

This is what I don't get. Are the practices in London open to the public? If not, why in the world would Singletary make this announcement? I think this is a desperation move, and Singletary has done something as stupid as the "team mooning". Why in the world would he make this announcement? Ditka eventually lost it when he was a HC, I see Singletary going the same way, and I've always liked him. I also wonder who made this decision, Raye's replacement at OC or Singletary? Smith hadn't taken a SNAP with the ones this year, and a new offense.

My next question is can Smith get to half time before getting yanked? If he throw 2 piks? :lmao:
Johnson was a QB coach on the Ravens when Troy Smith was there, so I'm quite sure he lobbied hard for Smith, and Sing signed off on it. But that does also mean, with Smith's familiarity with Johnson, that the lack of practice snaps isn't quite as meaningful as the attention it has gotten.
His lack of snaps isn't "as" meaningful? Even veteran QB's have crashed and burned in similar situations. I don't care if Smith is Johnson's son, familiaraity doesn't replace practice time in an offense Smith has never played in, not to mention timing with his recievers.

I think it's likely that new OC Mike Johnson will use more 3-WR sets to keep defenses from stacking vs the run. The Niners started doing a lot of that last week and my guess is that it will continue. Johnson spent a year studying how the spread offense can be adapted to the NFL and I think he's going to continue to slowly but surely go away from sets that use a fullback... The Niners offense has done very poorly when using a fullback this season.
Agreed, Gore seemed to be wreckin' shop until the panthers realized Carr's incompetence. Norris looks like a fossil in a uniform out there, he's arguably the least athletic looking FB i've ever seen... They should continue to use Byham in that H-back role, he seems to be just as capable a blocker, but much more of a threat to catch the ball.

My next question is can Smith get to half time before getting yanked? If he throw 2 piks? :unsure:
His lack of snaps isn't "as" meaningful? Even veteran QB's have crashed and burned in similar situations. I don't care if Smith is Johnson's son, familiaraity doesn't replace practice time in an offense Smith has never played in, not to mention timing with his recievers.
My guess is that the niners will come out and chuck a couple of deep ones to VD or Ginn to try and loosen up the defense. THen try some screens to WRs or Gore, and mix in a few runs here and there. You really don't need familiarity with the receivers for any of these plays, and frankly it's almost irrelevant considering that's pretty much what ASmith has been doing for the last 6.5 games anyway.

Agreed, Gore seemed to be wreckin' shop until the panthers realized Carr's incompetence. Norris looks like a fossil in a uniform out there, he's arguably the least athletic looking FB i've ever seen... They should continue to use Byham in that H-back role, he seems to be just as capable a blocker, but much more of a threat to catch the ball.
At first I thought running out of the FB sets was not working because the Niners were way too predictable in terms of trying to run Gore through the same gap over and over. But after watching Norris closely the last few games, I agree that his blocking has really slipped and Byham at H-Back appears to be the better blocker... and receiver.

Troy Smith's scouting report from ESPN.com:

"He is a short, compact-built player with a strong enough arm to make all the throws. Smith is very tough competitive player and an exceptional athlete. He has enough talent and physical tools to potentially contribute as a return man or at another skill position. As a passer, his lack of ideal height is a major concern and he is best throwing on the roll-out. Smith is an ideal backup signal-caller because of his innate leadership and playmaking abilities but hasn't been able to get on the field to contribute thus far."

And a few thoughts from FFToolbox from his draft year:

"An outstanding athlete, Smith also beat all the combine quarterbacks in both the vertical jump and the broad jump. Smith's arm is also one of his great strengths-literally. It is both strong and very accurate, as he proved both throughout his senior season and at OSU's pro day."

Alex would not give Crabtree a steady diet of passes as it was, and would almost never throw a deep pass to him.

I dont see how this hurts Michael. Scrambling and keeping pass plays alive may actually help MCs fantasy production.

If Smith gets a win this week heading into the bye, does he keep the job coming out of the bye?
Hard to say. My guess is that Singletary still thinks Alex Smith gives the team the best chance to win. But if Troy Smith plays really well vs Denver, I imagine Sing would ask Alex Smith to take another week to recuperate from his shoulder separation and give Troy Smith another chance to start. And if he were to play really well again... then, yeah, he might supplant Alex Smith.Don't underestimate how poorly the Niners OL has pass blocked this season. That means that a mobile QB has a lot of value. And I'm guessing that Troy Smith is much more mobile than Alex Smith (who is a decent but not great scrambler).

I still think Troy Smith is unlikely to replace Alex Smith for the rest of the season. But if Troy were to play really well two games in a row, he might indeed win the job...

Users who are viewing this thread