What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (3 Viewers)

Best overall episode in ages. High energy (like others have said) and really good writing. 

and the musical guest was absolutely killer. Her band for her first song was bad ### and she is totally owning the "gals of all shapes and sizes" message, and brings amazing talent to the table. Good for her. I’m buying her album now. 

Was a lot of fun having Eddie back.  One thing I felt was they did a good job on with the Mr. Robinson and Buckwheat sketches was getting out quickly and not letting the sketches drag on without the material to support it.  That’s a frequent complaint I have with the show over the last few years.  I don’t know if Eddie influenced that or maybe I’m making it up.

Was a lot of fun having Eddie back.  One thing I felt was they did a good job on with the Mr. Robinson and Buckwheat sketches was getting out quickly and not letting the sketches drag on without the material to support it.  That’s a frequent complaint I have with the show over the last few years.  I don’t know if Eddie influenced that or maybe I’m making it up.
Even Python admitted that the reason for Terry Gilliam's animation was that they couldnt end sketches. I couldn't have done the 50some eps of my 70s radio comedy show without the up-the-dial sound to get me out of at least half the bits. It's always been SNL's major flaw, right back to the beginning. They used to do it like catching a football - the premise is the catch, making a substantial comedy move in possession of the premise before going to ground is the completion. Now it's floating one up there and standing around with a surprised look on your face til someone tackles you after a catch, and that's when it hurts. Eddie Murphy don't play, Eddie Murphy knows funny. Not an ounce of sketch comedy energy left, but he knew to leave a turn for YAC (so he wasn't just reading) with each pass, and to go down when there's no yardage left. I can't figure out how to end this analo.....*turning dial sound*

I saw this on the Twitters. Tonight was not the first time Eddie and Larry David appeared on the same episode. They were in a Gumby sketch a million years ago. 

Look over Eddie's left shoulder: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7nMsROCYAEU2Lw.jpg
Who is at the table with Eddie? Billy Crystal and Martin Short?
Yep.

This was from the December 15, 1984 episode, after Eddie had left the show but had returned to be a guest host.

And did he do the Mr. Bill voice back in the day?
Mr. Bill was voiced by its creator, Walter Williams, who had sent the Mr. Bill videos to SNL in 1976 after they (jokingly?) requested that viewers send in their own home movies. The movies ended up being so popular that Williams was hired to be a staff writer on the show from 1978-1980.

Even Python admitted that the reason for Terry Gilliam's animation was that they couldnt end sketches. I couldn't have done the 50some eps of my 70s radio comedy show without the up-the-dial sound to get me out of at least half the bits. It's always been SNL's major flaw, right back to the beginning. They used to do it like catching a football - the premise is the catch, making a substantial comedy move in possession of the premise before going to ground is the completion. Now it's floating one up there and standing around with a surprised look on your face til someone tackles you after a catch, and that's when it hurts. Eddie Murphy don't play, Eddie Murphy knows funny. Not an ounce of sketch comedy energy left, but he knew to leave a turn for YAC (so he wasn't just reading) with each pass, and to go down when there's no yardage left. I can't figure out how to end this analo.....*turning dial sound*
take it to the Shark Pool, Pissah

*whistle* Illegal comedy formation. Poster did not report as an eligible football commentator and did not come to a complete stop before the end of the analogy. Five yards, repeat second down. *whistle*

At some point a highlight reel of Che and Jost trading jokes on WU will be uploaded if it hasn’t already.  Throughout the bit, the “racism” in Jost’s family spans several generations.  
“I too will be auctioning off the bat I used to keep my neighborhood white” :lmao:   :cry:   :lmao:  

I mean at this point he has to question how much Che likes him 

Last edited by a moderator:
One piece from a group text of old friends that surfaced today... I’m in the span of Gen X where I was still in grade school when Murphy was on SNL, but aware enough of his greatness we were watching SNL every week and were all there in the theater for Trading Places and Beverly Hills Cop.  And then when we were in high school, SNL releases a “Best Of Eddie Murphy” highlight reel on VHS (seems prehistoric now, right?) and we’re all watching Mr Robinson’s Neighborhood and James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub all the time because we have a tape of it we can just pop in the VCR.
I had the same VHS in college...we watched it 1x times. What was the character he did that was some kind of African, and he got really fired up about some injustice...and he was also so stoned he could barely get thru it?

Might not be thinking of the same bit, but Eddie once did a “Black History Minute” about how George Washington Carver had his peanut butter recipe stolen by two white men who made untold millions of it. Eddie botched a line early and was fighting it the rest of the way.
That was it! Wasn’t he wearing sunglasses? He was hilariously high.

Shabazz K. Morton

I say George...what's that chu puttin on your bread?
... Professor Carver’s dinner guests - Edward “Skippy” Williamson and Frederick “Jif” Armstrong...
Here is the full "Best Of Eddie Murphy" video

"Black History Minute" starts at 20:21.

I also owned this video when I was a kid. I remember my friends and I watching "Buckwheat Gets Shot" over and over again because we were convinced that one of Buckwheat's bodyguards was a young Arsenio Hall. (Scroll to 34:40 and tell me that's not Arsenio.)

Here is the full "Best Of Eddie Murphy" video

"Black History Minute" starts at 20:21.

I also owned this video when I was a kid. I remember my friends and I watching "Buckwheat Gets Shot" over and over again because we were convinced that one of Buckwheat's bodyguards was a young Arsenio Hall. (Scroll to 34:40 and tell me that's not Arsenio.)
Used to wear this tape out as well. The original video has the VFW sketch where Eddie performed in a reggae band singing "kill the white people". Hilarious on many levels. Unfortunately it was edited out of later 'best of eddie murphy:snl' compilations. Definitely should always be included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vc5igOAJ7k

"I thought they were going to do Day-O"  :lmao:

Bruce Dickinson said:
I have a homemade Kingdom Of Zamunda soccer jersey (bought a blank black one, added a couple Zamunda flags to the chest and sponsor patches of McDowell’s and Soul Glo on the sleeves).  Might have to dust that off now that the Coming To America sequel is in the can.
:yes:  That is awesome.  

Terminalxylem said:
I thought the Eddie Murphy episode was decent, but not great. Nostalgia is overrated.
Agreed.  I think it was more funny than their average episode, but I was expecting prime Eddie greatness.  This was current Eddie quality, not worth waiting 25 years for Eddie quality.

Thanks!  I made it a few years ago for an annual bar crawl a friend runs where we go to one place to throw darts, another to play shuffleboard, another to shoot pool, and so on, keeping standings and having silly prizes to hand out at the end of the night.  He calls it the “Winter Olympics”.  I decided to compete under the flag of Zamunda.  It was a huge hit.  
The jersey is pretty much retired now; I used to also wear it to some events like concerts, sporting events, theme parks.  It’s so specific, it goes right by most people, but people who do recognize what’s going on will often say something.  I’d get the occasional “LET YOUR SOOOOOUUUUL GLOW!” while walking through the concourse at the ballpark or in a ride queue at Disneyland.
As long as they aren't yelling "IN THE FACE!"

I get that I’m conditioned to like last weekend’s episode more than most because I’ve been an Eddie Murphy fan for so long and a deep comedy nerd.  I appreciated how Eddie brought back his classic characters, either inserting them into 2019 (I thought Mr Robinson’s commentary on gentrification and race relations was sharp and current) or at least do a little more than play the hits (I liked the decision to have Gumby hijack Weekend Update to roast Jost & Che and anyone in his path).  It didn’t all work - IMO Velvet Jones on Black Jeopardy was lackluster until he plugged “I Wanna Be An Instagram Ho” - but overall I enjoyed the episode a lot am curious what ground Eddie will cover if he releases a standup special in 2020.
Agree that Mr Robinson and Gumby were the high moments.  My favorite detail from Mr Robinson was the pile of Amazon boxes.

Agree that Mr Robinson and Gumby were the high moments.  My favorite detail from Mr Robinson was the pile of Amazon boxes.
Mr. Robinson was well done. Buckwheat was decent. The other skits were pretty average IMO. Actually made me wonder why I enjoyed the original Gumby segments.

Terminalxylem said:
I thought the Eddie Murphy episode was decent, but not great. Nostalgia is overrated.
I thought many of his skits felt a little forced. Enjoyed it, but it seemed like someone coming back and trying to relive the past. He just didn't seem to have that natural, deep down humor inside like he used too.

I get that I’m conditioned to like last weekend’s episode more than most because I’ve been an Eddie Murphy fan for so long and a deep comedy nerd.  I appreciated how Eddie brought back his classic characters, either inserting them into 2019 (I thought Mr Robinson’s commentary on gentrification and race relations was sharp and current) or at least do a little more than play the hits (I liked the decision to have Gumby hijack Weekend Update to roast Jost & Che and anyone in his path).  It didn’t all work - IMO Velvet Jones on Black Jeopardy was lackluster until he plugged “I Wanna Be An Instagram Ho” - but overall I enjoyed the episode a lot am curious what ground Eddie will cover if he releases a standup special in 2020.
I laughed my head off. People in 2019 are just Grumpy.  You can only please like 60%. The rest think they are brilliant by not liking or laughing at things.

I laughed my head off. People in 2019 are just Grumpy.  You can only please like 60%. The rest think they are brilliant by not liking or laughing at things.
Can’t speak for others, but I was really hoping for more than just rebooted 80’s characters. Too much of modern entertainment is rehashed IMO. A couple skits, sure, but did every segment have to relive Murphy’s glory days?

Clearly most people enjoy it, but it’s the same reason I’m not into Marvel, Star Wars, etc. Nothing pretentious about wanting more original material.

meh ...I didn't laugh my head off.

I thought it was a nice revisit of something that used to mean something.  

I would do the same thing Eddie has done ...coast mother####er ...coast.

Can’t speak for others, but I was really hoping for more than just rebooted 80’s characters. Too much of modern entertainment is rehashed IMO. A couple skits, sure, but did every segment have to relive Murphy’s glory days?

Clearly most people enjoy it, but it’s the same reason I’m not into Marvel, Star Wars, etc. Nothing pretentious about wanting more original material.
I loved it. He is just now starting to build anew. As he told Seinfeld, he's atrophied. Give him a little time.

I agree on Robinson, but I liked Gumby the best from a performance standpoint.  Eddie's energy felt the best there, especially interacting with Che.
He seemed to be comfortable at that point and obviously was riffing a bit. Loved it. 

A good mix of nostalgia and smart, updated writing. And I loved Rock, Morgan, and Chapelle on stage with him. And agreed on Che and Jost jokes segment - one of the funniest things they’ve done the last few years. But can we have a cold open that isn’t Trump or political at some point?  

Sorry, but pretentious comments like this just deserve about a million :rolleyes: . I can't imagine going through life thinking my opinions are just so much more valid than anyone else's.

The pub crawl ringleader is saved in my Contacts as “Randy Watson”, whom you might remember from the What’s Goin Down episode of “That’s My Mama”.
My boss' boss' boss used to be a gentleman by the name of RYAN Watson. He also happened to be black.

Pretty much any time he gave a talk or ran a meeting, I'd spend the entire time screaming "Mr. RYAN.........WAAAAAAAAAATSON" in my head. My greatest wish was that....just once....he would stomp his feet, drop the mic and exit stage left. But it never happened :kicksrock:

But can we have a cold open that isn’t Trump or political at some point?  
No. You will be ever-reminded of the political state of things. Even in entertainment. If totalitarianism won't bring it to you in praise of the state and labor endeavors thenceforth, industry will torment you with your own (however slight) loss of confidence in democratic institutions.

That is all. 

But can we have a cold open that isn’t Trump or political at some point?  
That's like asking for a Michael Bay flick without 'splosions. SNL aint a tenth of what it was qualitywise, but it hasn't been this successful since the mania of its first coupla years. Ever since Faye/Palin, the show's gotten ratings, whether it deserved it or not, from stunt-casted political cold opens. No one could write this kind of result if they wanted to, which is especially handy in this case.

wikkidpissah said:
That's like asking for a Michael Bay flick without 'splosions. SNL aint a tenth of what it was qualitywise, but it hasn't been this successful since the mania of its first coupla years. Ever since Faye/Palin, the show's gotten ratings, whether it deserved it or not, from stunt-casted political cold opens. No one could write this kind of result if they wanted to, which is especially handy in this case.
Oh I'm ok with the political openings sometimes, they often bring the funny.  I get that the current state of politics makes it just too easy, but I just think they've gotten a little lazy by relying on it every single week.  Mix it up a bit.

Solid episode - Driver is a really good actor.  Loved the opening with Lovitz - the Epstein jokes were :lmao:

Several good skits and the musical short was one of the better ones since the Lonely Island boys.

And holy hell Halsey   :wub:    she's hot as balls and happy to show it off.

Is anyone else with me, on the day of an awards show that no longer has much to do with music, that having side dancers is now an invitation to not take their music seriously?
For me, it's just a distraction. Like the lights or green screen nonsense of some performers. I don't care for it even as this generation of performers seems to favor it. 

Is anyone else with me, on the day of an awards show that no longer has much to do with music, that having side dancers is now an invitation to not take their music seriously?
I find it hard to take their music seriously when the artist is wearing almost nothing. 
believe me, other parts of me enjoy that ;)  but it’s kind of ridiculous that, in this day and age, female performers still choose to perform in sexy underwear. 

Users who are viewing this thread