What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Brandon LaFell - I just... LaFell in love. (2 Viewers)

This is definitely one of those cases where the locals and homers give incredibly accurate input. All of the Panther guys said stay away, we nailed it. Yet some of the others just didnt believe. Thats what makes this board so great is if you can filter through the info on certain players the local perspective is invaluable and worth its weight in gold.

Seems to be a total crap shoot between Thompkins, LaFell and Dobson on which one emerges in NE. My guess is all three will end up being hot waiver wire pick ups at different points in the season. All three will most likely disapear in multiple games as well.

Is LaFell a vested veteran? If so, he'll likely be the one cut so his salary doesn't become guaranteed

Mom? Is that a big order of "sleeper" you got cookin' on the stove this mornin'?
I doubt it. The situation is different, but is a target logjam in a good passing offense really better than a wide open path to targets in a lesser offense? And LaFell himself just really isn't sudden enough to create seperation and get open. IMO he'll likely make the roster and get some snaps, as he's a pretty good blocker for a WR. But I'll be stunned if he sees enough targets to be FF relevant barring a huge rash of injuries to everyone else a la 2013.

Mom? Is that a big order of "sleeper" you got cookin' on the stove this mornin'?
I doubt it. The situation is different, but is a target logjam in a good passing offense really better than a wide open path to targets in a lesser offense? And LaFell himself just really isn't sudden enough to create seperation and get open. IMO he'll likely make the roster and get some snaps, as he's a pretty good blocker for a WR. But I'll be stunned if he sees enough targets to be FF relevant barring a huge rash of injuries to everyone else a la 2013.
When LaFell got his chance to step up here in Smith's absence he was totally shutdown. He admitted he couldn't get past the added attention given to him in Smith's absence. I like him as a person and locker room guy. Seems like a solid citizen but I wouldn't want to rely on him for any length of time to be the focus of the offense. Maybe Bill and Tom can get him there though.

When LaFell got his chance to step up here in Smith's absence he was totally shutdown. He admitted he couldn't get past the added attention given to him in Smith's absence. I like him as a person and locker room guy. Seems like a solid citizen but I wouldn't want to rely on him for any length of time to be the focus of the offense. Maybe Bill and Tom can get him there though.
I've probably seen much less of him than you, but IMO he's one of those "just not athletic enough to really be more than a role player" types. Regardless of who's throwing to / coaching him, I don't think he's going to consistently beat starting NFL corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've probably seen much less of him than you, but IMO he's one of those "just not athletic enough to really be more than a role player" types. Regardless of who's throwing to / coaching him, I don't think he's going to consistently beat starting NFL corners.
he seems to be athletic enough, his problem is that he only catches the balls when he is wide open. He doesnt fight in traffic or ever go up and tries to manhandle anyone. He just gets his when coverage breaks down or when Cam was scrambling. He is one of the most frustrating panthers of all time

That's the good news, he doesn't and won't have to be the focus in NE. He's just a role player.

msommer said:
Is LaFell a vested veteran? If so, he'll likely be the one cut so his salary doesn't become guaranteed
He got a $3 million signing bonus. No way will the Pats flush that money down the toilet. LaFell will be on the 53-man roster.

I really think Lafell can be a late round/ww gem. Pats receiving corps(I'm including Gronk) are mostly either young or injury prone and I think Lafell becomes a red zone target for Brady. 750 yds and 10tds at the end of your draft.

I really think Lafell can be a late round/ww gem. Pats receiving corps(I'm including Gronk) are mostly either young or injury prone and I think Lafell becomes a red zone target for Brady. 750 yds and 10tds at the end of your draft.
good luck dude, seriously good luck

The bit abut how in CAR he didn't fight for his catches and only really got anything when there was a either a broken play or coverage doesn't concern you.

Because ten uncontested TDs sounds a bit high

Let's see Edelman is their top guy, after that we have a mix of Amendola,Dobson, Thompkins and maybe Boyce. As an end of draft or ww pickup I like his upside as Gronk is their only real red zone target. He's averaged about 600yds and 4tds the past 3 years on CAR and I like his chances to be a contributor in this offense.

The bit abut how in CAR he didn't fight for his catches and only really got anything when there was a either a broken play or coverage doesn't concern you.Because ten uncontested TDs sounds a bit high
I like his size and I think he has a real chance to be a factor in the red zone for them if things break in his favor. The Pats were not efficient the rz last year sans Gronk and Lafells size and length makes him an interesting candidate to get 8-10 tds imho.

The bit abut how in CAR he didn't fight for his catches and only really got anything when there was a either a broken play or coverage doesn't concern you.Because ten uncontested TDs sounds a bit high
I like his size and I think he has a real chance to be a factor in the red zone for them if things break in his favor. The Pats were not efficient the rz last year sans Gronk and Lafells size and length makes him an interesting candidate to get 8-10 tds imho.
He doesn't have good hands and he doesn't use his size well. He doesn't get good separation. He hasn't shown much ability to high point balls. He is a good guy on and off the field so I wish him well but I have watched him play for years and I will be shocked if he does anything close to that.

Reports on Lafell have been good of late...he started off real slow but it appears he has picked-up the Pats offense which many WRs in the past (both rookie and veteran) have not been able to do...the Pats have been very thin at WR the past few years...they have gotten away with it during the regular season but it tends to catch-up with them in the playoffs...if LaFell and Thompkins can become viable weapons and Dobson can stay healthy the Pats have a chance to be pretty deep at WR this year which would be huge since they don't have that stud WR (although they do have Gronk) and both Edelman and Amendola have injury histories...as for LaFell I think he has a much better opportunity to help the Pats as a real WR than he does helping fantasy owners (the money they gave him seems to indicate they like him)...I just don't see him putting up consistent or big numbers with them...what he (and Thompkins) could do is really hurt Edelman and Amendola's value...if they are legit they could take a nice bite out of Amendola and Edelman's #'s...

Seems to be a total crap shoot between Thompkins, LaFell and Dobson on which one emerges in NE. My guess is all three will end up being hot waiver wire pick ups at different points in the season. All three will most likely disapear in multiple games as well.
That's my guess as well, but I think all 3 are worth late flyers, just in case one makes a stride and becomes a go-to-guy.

Snagged him late in best ball format. I really think he's ideal late rounder in a best ball format, but not in a typical start 3wr league. He's probably good for a couple games with a td or two. Gluck predicting when those will come though.

Snagged him late in best ball format. I really think he's ideal late rounder in a best ball format, but not in a typical start 3wr league. He's probably good for a couple games with a td or two. Gluck predicting when those will come though.
IMO, there are a lot of WR that will be available late that will score a few weeks in a best ball league. Not sure LaFell offers any advantage at that point.

IMO, there are a lot of WR that will be available late that will score a few weeks in a best ball league. Not sure LaFell offers any advantage at that point.
Maybe not, but it's still a good pick. I hadn't thought about best ball, since I don't play any of those. I do think he and the rest of the Pats RBs/WRs could be better picks in that format.

That's my guess as well, but I think all 3 are worth late flyers, just in case one makes a stride and becomes a go-to-guy.
I think the Pats are hoping that Dobson will be the guy that breaks out this year and he very well could be.....BUT he's still not 100% and with the Pats recent history of developing wrs I want to see it first. Thompkins is average at best and I think we 've already seen his ceiling so I think Lafell has a decent shot to make an impact. At his current ADP he's worth a flyer.

I think the Pats are hoping that Dobson will be the guy that breaks out this year and he very well could be.....BUT he's still not 100% and with the Pats recent history of developing wrs I want to see it first. Thompkins is average at best and I think we 've already seen his ceiling so I think Lafell has a decent shot to make an impact. At his current ADP he's worth a flyer.
Definitely think Dobson is the x-factor in the Pats offense...right now I really don't know what to make of him...I can easily see a scenario where he has a big year or is almost non-existent...his injury issues makes him incredibly difficult to get a read on...last year he showed both flashes of negative and positive...there's definitely potential there but he's far from a definite...if the Pats get a best-case scenario with Dobson it would really be a huge boost to their offense...adding that type of player to Gronk, Vereen, Edelman and Amendola would give the Pats a lot of weapons (it's amazing how much room for error injury-wise that group has)...Dobson has a nice package of size and speed but he's still a work in progress and he really needs to show he can stay on the field and be a consistent threat...this is a big year for Dobson and it will be real interesting to see how he has viewed by the end of the year...

As for Thompkins...I'm getting the impression he's figuring out how to be an NFL WR pretty quickly...I don't see him ever being a player that puts up big-time #'s and as an undrafted WR there's nothing wrong with that...that being said I think he has a chance to be a contributing WR who won't make big $ but can help a team in "real football"...I really get the impression that Brady is getting comfortable with the kid and if that is the case than Thompkins will get an opportunity to be a piece of the Pats WR puzzle...

How are we doing here?
Receptions = 0 after 2 games. He has regressed it appears. He used to catch about 3 a game here. Maybe it wasn't about ball placement after all. Maybe it wasn't about not playing with a first ballot HOF talent after all. Maybe he just isn't all that good at the end of the day.

Wow, I guess I couldn't have been anymore wrong on this one. Aside from Edelman the Pats wrs look horrible and Brady looks even worse. I figured someone other than Edelman would step up but the Pats offense just looks horrible. 12 team league and I'm considering dropping Brady outright for just about anyone on the ww.

Rotoworld:

Brandon LaFell - WR - Patriots

Brandon LaFell caught six passes for 119 yards and one touchdown in the Patriots' Week 4 loss to the Chiefs.

LaFell was targeted a team-high ten times as one of only three receivers active. With Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola unable to win against Kansas City's bigger corners, LaFell was the go-to guy. His big play was a 44-yard catch-and-run touchdown on a slant where LaFell broke a tackle on his way to the end zone. Don't expect many more of these outings from LaFell. Through four games, he's on pace for a 40-660-4 line. Continue to ignore him in fantasy.

Sep 30 - 12:20 AM

Two weeks ago, Thompkins scratched. Last week Dobkins. This week, Thompkins and Dobkins. Really grasping at straws behind LaFell, if that means anything.

Wow, I guess I couldn't have been anymore wrong on this one. Aside from Edelman the Pats wrs look horrible and Brady looks even worse. I figured someone other than Edelman would step up but the Pats offense just looks horrible. 12 team league and I'm considering dropping Brady outright for just about anyone on the ww.
Nice night last night.

What am I missing? Not seeing much love for Lafell around here. Weeks 3-6 he's the 15th best WR 0.5 PPR in my league. Throwing up great games every other week. Decent match ups at home Weeks 7, 8, 9. More attention being paid to Gronk and Edelman open Lafell up for some bombs. Seems most still think he's fools gold or not reliable enough even though Dobson is in the doghouse and Thompkins is out of town.

I'm buying Lafell and Tyms to see how it shakes out. Pats look pissed off now, like the Brady 50 TD season...

Rolling with him at WR5 tonight over Eddie Royal based on matchup. I think NE is going to pick apart the NYJ secondary. Fingers crossed...

Users who are viewing this thread