What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (2 Viewers)

spent all evening doing the stupid grind -- Whiterun blacksmiths. Buy all the iron ignots they have, make iron daggers, sell the daggers back to them, wait 48 hours, repeat.

But, my smithing is now at 100 :pickle: :nerd: , and I just kicked ### and finished the black star. The full set of theives guild light armor improved to 100 on a workbench is pretty damn nice. It's rated higher than the base dragonscale armor. I'm sure I can improve the DSA to higher than what this TG light armor is currently rated, but for now I like the built in bonuses of TGLA. Ready to mow through some bad guys and get soultrappin TOMARROW
Can you improve the nightingale armor?I have not done much at all with the smithing.
Confirmed.

I am playing as an Imperial. Doing mostly the main quest so far. Have put a bunch of hours in so far but am only level 13. Do I just suck or is this normal?

I am playing as an Imperial. Doing mostly the main quest so far. Have put a bunch of hours in so far but am only level 13. Do I just suck or is this normal?
I'm 13 also and have 16 hours logged. Here is what I have found out in the last day or so. Every time your skill increases (sneak, destruction, archery) you level meter goes up also. Smithing and Enchanting seem to go up almost every item you make so it's an easy way to gain some levels. Otherwise just killing things will take a while. But I'm new to this so take it for what it's worth.

I hit level 25 last night, and it is now taking a pretty long time to level, for several reasons:

1) I'm pretty sure that the number of skill bumps needed for an overall level is higher the more you level up. In other words, when my Light Armor improves from 34 to 35, it doesn't move the blue "level meter" as far as it would have when I was level 10. I could be wrong about this, but this is a standard RPG convention.

2) Each skill takes longer to level the better you are at it. When I first started playing, I think I leveled Sneak 2-3 times every time I walked between cities. Now, with Sneak = 93, it's very slow going. Likewise, it takes forever for Archery (60) to go up.

3) And of course, the skills that I use all the time (Archery, Sneak) are the ones that are now leveling very slowly. If I wanted to whip out a two-handed greatsword, I could level Two-Handed really fast because it's still 20 or whatever it defaulted to. But that doesn't fit my playstyle. If you want to level faster, you need to change up your usual tactics, but of course that puts you at a huge combat disadvantage since you're fighting high-level enemies with starting-level skills.

Also, I'm running out of perks that I really want. My Sneak tree is maxed out except for the very last one (waiting on 100 Sneak). I have all the Archery perks that I qualify for and want (Overdraw, Critical Shot, the one that staggers opponents). I'm now putting some perks into Light Armor, but I don't get hit all that often so it seems like kind of a waste. But it would be nice to have armor not weigh anything.

I still haven't done anything with Smithing, Enchanting, or Alchemy. When I get bored of doing quests, I should try power-leveling those. It would be nice to put a good enchantment on my bow and to smith some dragonscale armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Azura's Star

I took the star back to Azura, after finishing that i now have that girl who was hanging out with the statue fighting with me instead of Lydia. She conjures a flame attronach and then just hang back and spams lightning on anything that moves. Between that and my conjured frost attronach i am mowing though enemies right now (level 20)

i did end up w/ azura's star instead of the black star, i'm assuming if i had chosen the other path i'd have the black star?

I took the star back to Azura, after finishing that i now have that girl who was hanging out with the statue fighting with me instead of Lydia. She conjures a flame attronach and then just hang back and spams lightning on anything that moves. Between that and my conjured frost attronach i am mowing though enemies right now (level 20)i did end up w/ azura's star instead of the black star, i'm assuming if i had chosen the other path i'd have the black star?
right. If you take it to Nelecar (sp?) instead of Azura, you get the black star.

spent all evening doing the stupid grind -- Whiterun blacksmiths. Buy all the iron ignots they have, make iron daggers, sell the daggers back to them, wait 48 hours, repeat. But, my smithing is now at 100 :pickle: :nerd: , and I just kicked ### and finished the black star. The full set of theives guild light armor improved to 100 on a workbench is pretty damn nice. It's rated higher than the base dragonscale armor. I'm sure I can improve the DSA to higher than what this TG light armor is currently rated, but for now I like the built in bonuses of TGLA. Ready to mow through some bad guys and get soultrappin TOMARROW
Really wish I had taken the time to enchant all the daggers I was making when I did this. It'd be pretty sweet to be able to put two enchantments on each piece of armor.
I have like 300 iron daggers sitting in a chest inside my house waiting for me to get some time to start learning enchanting

Question about enchanting as I did it for the first time last night

So I use iron ingots and leather to make a dagger. Then I enchant it with stealth or there was another option also. What do the values mean. You can make them go up or down. What is the purpose of that

On another note, I was able to make close to 1500 gold by selling off the daggers. Much better then chopping wood for an hour. I need another 1500 for a house which I should have by tonight

I tried to time it. It looks like 1 minute our time is 12 minutes skyrim time.

So I use iron ingots and leather to make a dagger. Then I enchant it with stealth or there was another option also. What do the values mean. You can make them go up or down. What is the purpose of that

On another note, I was able to make close to 1500 gold by selling off the daggers. Much better then chopping wood for an hour. I need another 1500 for a house which I should have by tonight

It's the number of uses you get for that enchantment.For instance, say you enchant a 2H sword w/ fire damage. When you create it, that variable number is the # of times the fire damage procs, or inflicts fire on your enemies. Once that number reaches zero, you must recharge the enchantment using a soul gem.

Keep in mind 2 things:

1) the better the soul gem used to create the enchantment in the first place dictates the amount of charges you get on the enchanted item

2) the better the soul gem used to recharge the enchantment once it runs down to zero, the more it fills it up.

HTH's

Makes sense. Thanks Eddie. I would think the more times it can be used, the more valuable it is and the more money you get

I took the star back to Azura, after finishing that i now have that girl who was hanging out with the statue fighting with me instead of Lydia. She conjures a flame attronach and then just hang back and spams lightning on anything that moves. Between that and my conjured frost attronach i am mowing though enemies right now (level 20)i did end up w/ azura's star instead of the black star, i'm assuming if i had chosen the other path i'd have the black star?
right. If you take it to Nelecar (sp?) instead of Azura, you get the black star.
Interesting. I sort of didn't want to know this, but I peaked.
So the Azura Star choices come down to this-1. Bring it back to Azura and get a normal star and a good conjuring follower.2. Bring it to the mage and get a Black Star. I did this. The nice thing about the Black Star is humans tend to give you stronger souls. Great and Grand are the norm, unless you kill a farmer or something.

The stronger the charge, the less times you can use it. As long as you are making them for resale I would just leave it maxed. It's what I do, but I haven't tinkered with the scale to see how it changes the value too much.

1) I'm pretty sure that the number of skill bumps needed for an overall level is higher the more you level up. In other words, when my Light Armor improves from 34 to 35, it doesn't move the blue "level meter" as far as it would have when I was level 10. I could be wrong about this, but this is a standard RPG convention.
Almost positive it is the opposite. Gaining a level to 93 is going to move it way more than moving from like 15 to 16.

So who has reached the highest level? I'm to 29, but my sleep patterns haven't been this messed up in years.
Im with you. My wife got home at 11 last night. First thing I did when she came in was tell her I was going downstairs. She looked at me and said "really?" Didnt come back up til 1:30. Woke up at 6 for work

Oh and I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm about 35 hours in and level....18 I think? I like to wander and explore and refuse to use any of the Ritual Stones that make you level faster. I've only used the Steed stone (allows +100 carry weight and removes all penalties for wearing heavy armor), so that probably is the reason why I'm only 18.

Anyway, I have the CE version of the Game Guide and only use it for minor stuff that doesn't ruin any of the surprises (like looking at a quest AFTER I completed it) or determining if a dungeon is quest related or not so it doesn't ruin said quest.

Plus, it came with a code to gain access to a pretty incredible interactive map that lists every single thing in the game, but haven't used it. You can show as much or as little as you want on the map. Pretty damn cool.

http://www.primagames.com/games/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/primaguides/243/extra

All this will be used on my 2nd and subsequent playthroughs, just proud I'm not using it hardly at all now. The exploration is what makes the game so fun :thumbup:

So who has reached the highest level? I'm to 29, but my sleep patterns haven't been this messed up in years.
Im with you. My wife got home at 11 last night. First thing I did when she came in was tell her I was going downstairs. She looked at me and said "really?" Didnt come back up til 1:30. Woke up at 6 for work
I wish I was could put it down after 2 1/2 hours each session. I was up til 4 sunday night to wake up at 6, managed to put it down at 3 the last two nights. I tell myself I'm going to go home and nap but the it's like the controller infuses the crack right into my hands.Years ago I had a roommate I would constantly rag on over that Star Wars MMOG and the time he put into it. Guess I know the feeling now.I haven't gotten into a game like this since Halo 2 and at least that was in 15 minute match blocks.

Almost positive it is the opposite. Gaining a level to 93 is going to move it way more than moving from like 15 to 16.
Huh. Shows what I know. :bag:

Not sure Hooter is right. I got my sneak to 100 and I dont recall thinking the jump in actual level was great at all. I got my archery to 92 last night and I know for a fact that there was not much of a jump on my level bar.

I have probably just spent way too much time blacksmithing.

Not sure Hooter is right. I got my sneak to 100 and I dont recall thinking the jump in actual level was great at all. I got my archery to 92 last night and I know for a fact that there was not much of a jump on my level bar.
:shrug: Very well could be wrong, I'll do some more tinkering with it and report back. I've been trying to stay away from reading any tips anywhere else. Which is why I love this thread so much. Everywhere else seems to be more concerned about ruining the experience for everyone.

'Matthias said:
From what I've read, you're both right.There's two scales going on.The first scale is the amount of "skill increase" necessary to move from one overall level to the next.The second scale is the amount of "level increase" gained by each "skill increase."Say you're level 1 and each "skill increase" is equal to a value of 1. And you need 10 units of "skill increase" to increase to Level 2. If you increase 10 skills 1 level, you move up.Now say you're Level 24 and you need 300 units of "skill increase" to move up to Level 25. If you have a skill which you haven't ever improved, you're still going to get 1 unit of "skill increase" by moving it up from 1 to 2. However, you may get 20 units of "skill increase" by moving your sneak from skill level 85 to skill level 86. So it's possible that as your character moves up in levels, you need more skill levels to move up. But you're gaining more units of skill increase from higher-level skill increases than lower ones.
Yup, this is correct and put way better than I was going to attempt.

'Matthias said:
From what I've read, you're both right.There's two scales going on.The first scale is the amount of "skill increase" necessary to move from one overall level to the next.The second scale is the amount of "level increase" gained by each "skill increase."Say you're level 1 and each "skill increase" is equal to a value of 1. And you need 10 units of "skill increase" to increase to Level 2. If you increase 10 skills 1 level, you move up.Now say you're Level 24 and you need 300 units of "skill increase" to move up to Level 25. If you have a skill which you haven't ever improved, you're still going to get 1 unit of "skill increase" by moving it up from 1 to 2. However, you may get 20 units of "skill increase" by moving your sneak from skill level 85 to skill level 86. So it's possible that as your character moves up in levels, you need more skill levels to move up. But you're gaining more units of skill increase from higher-level skill increases than lower ones.ETA: These numbers are made up. I'm not sure what the real numbers are. But I think they're right directionally. You do gain more movement to an overall level increase by increasing higher-level skills.
:thumbup: Well spoken, brother.

Oh and I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm about 35 hours in and level....18 I think? I like to wander and explore and refuse to use any of the Ritual Stones that make you level faster. I've only used the Steed stone (allows +100 carry weight and removes all penalties for wearing heavy armor), so that probably is the reason why I'm only 18.

Anyway, I have the CE version of the Game Guide and only use it for minor stuff that doesn't ruin any of the surprises (like looking at a quest AFTER I completed it) or determining if a dungeon is quest related or not so it doesn't ruin said quest.

Plus, it came with a code to gain access to a pretty incredible interactive map that lists every single thing in the game, but haven't used it. You can show as much or as little as you want on the map. Pretty damn cool.

All this will be used on my 2nd and subsequent playthroughs, just proud I'm not using it hardly at all now. The exploration is what makes the game so fun :thumbup:
WHERE IS THIS!

WHERE IS THIS!
i have still only found the 3 near helgen

WHERE IS THIS!
I mentioned it earlier, but I guess it got glossed over, heh. I forgot to mention that any armor you have EQUIPPED does not count towards your carry capacity.

The stone is located just east of Fort Hraggstad and is northwest of Solitude, at the tip of highest mountain.
YW ;)

WHERE IS THIS!
I stumbled on this one by accident fairly early in the game and have turned down all the other ones. I can't remember where it is, but if no one has spoilered it for you I will try to remember to look when I get home.

I get a kick out of the married guy stories about trying to wedge some Skyrim time into their lives. Glad I'm not the only one!

WHERE IS THIS!
I mentioned it earlier, but I guess it got glossed over, heh. I forgot to mention that any armor you have EQUIPPED does not count towards your carry capacity.

The stone is located just east of Fort Hraggstad and is northwest of Solitude, at the tip of highest mountain.
YW ;)

:thanks: This will honestly help me carry so much more loot! Dwarven armor is taking up pretty much all my space

I have one perk left from my last leveling; what do I need to add it to to be able to alter my elvin weapons past exquisite?

I have one perk left from my last leveling; what do I need to add it to to be able to alter my elvin weapons past exquisite?
Just higher blacksmithing skill
I think I'm 52 in that and I "think" it said that I lack the perk for it. Although I'm not 100% sure.although it could have said I lack the skill....things start to run together after 1am :bag:

I think I'm 52 in that and I "think" it said that I lack the perk for it. Although I'm nor 100% sure.although it could have said I lack the skill....things start to run together after 1am :bag:
ya, I'm sure it's the late hour and not the beer.

I think I'm 52 in that and I "think" it said that I lack the perk for it. Although I'm nor 100% sure.although it could have said I lack the skill....things start to run together after 1am :bag:
wood elf BLACKSMITH!?!?for shame!
AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO SMITH #### UP?

naw, just messin'Elf blacksmiths are a rare and dying breed. Smith on brudda.

There are penalties for this (says the guy with the high elf decked out in dwarven armor)?

I get a kick out of the married guy stories about trying to wedge some Skyrim time into their lives. Glad I'm not the only one!
Don't think it's married as opposed to kids/family.I'm married, but have no kids. I get tons of gaming time.

Do not listen to the slander, friend. I am about to start a wood elf smithing guild.

I just had sex with my wife for the first time since I bought the game. I had to put Skyrim on pause to do it. No shtick. :bag:

Snapshot-

Level 33

Magicka: 140

Health: 280

Stamina: 200

Five Highest Skills -

Sneak: 92

Lockpicking: 63

Smithing: 61

Archery: 59

One-handed: 49

There are penalties for this (says the guy with the high elf decked out in dwarven armor)?
Check out your stamina regeneration ;) from the wiki also:

Heavy Armor obviously protects better than Light Armor, but at the expense of being heavier in terms of carrying weight and giving a penalty to movement. The movement penalty lessens as the skill goes up, and the Conditioning perk eliminates both drawbacks. However, Heavy Armor is also noisier to move in than Light Armor, so it always adds a penalty to stealth. The Silence perk of the Sneak skill eliminates this drawback, as well as certain enchanted equipment. The weight and movement penalties can also be compensated with the Steed Standing Stone, so it's a good alternative until the Conditioning perk is achieved or replace it entirely if the player does not wish to spend a perk point.

Users who are viewing this thread