What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summerpalooza VI: Return of the Rock Bands - And they say "He's in the Class A Team" (1 Viewer)

Added

Chigoziem Okonkwo - TE - Tennessee

Dizzy Gillespie - Chega De Saudade

Losing Mark Andrews is almost as tough to find a song pairing for Chig Okonkwo.

"Chega de Saudade" is a Bossa Nova song written by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Dizzy Gillespie made this groovy recording in 1962 using an arrangement by Lalo Schifrin. It's listed under it's English title "No More Blues" on Spotify but it's absolutely "Chega de Saudade" and is an instrumental anyways.

ADDED

JALEN GUYTON, WR, SD
I who have nothing - Jedi Mind Tricks

Picked him up thinking I would need to start him this week and thought he would be ready to take a bigger role in light of some injuries. Then he suddenly comes up lame in practice on Thursday and then is ruled out. So, thanks for nothing…

I who have nothing but the comfort of my sins

I who have nothing but the comfort of my friends

I, I who have nothing
I, I who have no one

Added

Isaiah Likely - TE - Baltimore

A Likely Story - Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow, Joey Baron

Who better to replace Mark Andrews than Mark Andrews' replacement.

"A Likely Story" is a composition by pianist Steve Kuhn, a NYC based musician who's played with everybody over the years. It's a nice piano trio piece; wikkidpissah would have dug it.

Added

Tucker Kraft - TE - Green Bay

Witchcraft - Donald Byrd

Who better to replace Mark Andrews than Luke Musgrave's replacement.

"Witchcraft" is a standard written by Cy Coleman for Frank Sinatra in 1957. This lovely 1959 recording by trumpeter Donald Byrd and his quintet has an effortless swing and the classic house sound of Blue Note records.

Michael Kiwanuka sounds more like a player (I'm thinking linebacker) and Michael Mayer sounds more like an artist. Well, he just sounds sort of named normally, but anyway . . .

Added

D'Ernest Johnson - RB - Jaguars

"It's De-Lovely" - Vince Guaraldi Trio

I finally got Jonathan Taylor and Kyren Williams in the lineup at the same time and JT gets hurt. :ptts:

"It's De-Lovely" is a typically lovely Cole Porter tune with some of the cleverest lyrics he or anyone else ever wrote. So I'm going with an instrumental version instead featuring San Francisco pianist Vince Guaraldi. It's from his debut recording in 1956 long before Charlie Brown and Snoopy made him famous.

Pip connects Tolbert with "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and Michael Mayer draws the comment :oldunsure:

Ohhhh, I get it. Heh. Well, it's been a long year and Pip still managing his team and sticking to his schtick gets a total free pass from me for "Tolbert" and "Tolls."

Having a bad year is no fun and kudos to him for sticking with managing his team and adhering to the requirements of the music part. Not too many songs. songwriters, or performers called "Jalen" or "Tolbert," after all. The Kiwanuka comment was, as LBL pointed out, probably entirely derived subconsciously from my memory of the player for the Giants.

And kudos to you too, Eephus. I love that you stuck with the jazz schtick and names.

Let's have a great finish to the last two weeks of the regular season, y'all. You folks have been great this year doing this. We all appreciate the effort it takes to manage a team well and to stick with the music part of it. Even when I don't finish well football-wise, I'm happy to see people in the league pleased with their results and efforts.

Last edited:
I'll be picking my music tomorrow. I was just too busy today. Also, my team was squared away when I went to bed. When I woke up, FOUR players had a Q after their name. Really? That's just depressing.

I'll be picking my music tomorrow. I was just too busy today.

You're fine by me. I was only saying what I said upthread as a Ted Lasso-ish type of encouragement and congrats to everybody that stuck with the whole process. I'm also speaking for myself when I say that being busy is absolutely fine and we usually have a grace period (that I have taken advantage of for sure). How long that grace period is for is anybody's guess. I remember doing mine weeks later last year.

But yeah—you're good in my book, Mrs. R.

Let's have a great finish to the last two weeks of the regular season, y'all. You folks have been great this year doing this. We all appreciate the effort it takes to manage a team well and to stick with the music part of it. Even when I don't finish well football-wise, I'm happy to see people in the league pleased with their results and efforts.
How is your team doing this season in Summerpalooza?

simey! Helloooooo.

Kiss Olave II (my team) is 6-6 and still fighting for a playoff spot. I'm currently eighth out of fourteen, and six get into the dance. It looks to be a long shot, but you never know. The first thing I'd have to do is win both remaining games. Then I'd have to try and pass Mrs. Rannous's Froghoppers (seventh). I'd also need one of Ilov80s's Two Phones (fourth), dkp993's Kramerica Industries (fifth), or Eephus's PUP (Taylor's Version) (sixth) to lose two. It looks unlikely, but it's down to the wire that way.

In reality, it looks like a 7-10 finish for your old Olaves.

simey! Helloooooo.

Kiss Olave II (my team) is 6-6 and still fighting for a playoff spot. I'm currently eighth out of fourteen, and six get into the dance. It looks to be a long shot, but you never know. The first thing I'd have to do is win both remaining games. Then I'd have to try and pass Mrs. Rannous's Froghoppers (seventh). I'd also need one of Ilov80s's Two Phones (fourth), dkp993's Kramerica Industries (fifth), or Eephus's PUP (Taylor's Version) (sixth) to lose two. It looks unlikely, but it's down to the wire that way.

In reality, it looks like a 7-10 finish for your old Olaves.
There is a lot of luck in it, and maybe you'll get lucky. 🎰 It can happen! You definitely can't be accused of not trying when you usually make a massive amount of transactions. Even when you've blown all your money, you still have a constant turnstile of players coming and going from your team. I'm all for firing underperforming players!

Even when you've blown all your money, you still have a constant turnstile of players coming and going from your team.

LOL. I've toned it down a ton with moves. I think I'm sitting with the third-most transactional volume as opposed to the far-and-away-most transactional volume. otb is king of that this year. The bottom of my roster is always churning and hoping to find that guy that hits mid-season or late. That's definitely me.

Even when you've blown all your money, you still have a constant turnstile of players coming and going from your team.

LOL. I've toned it down a ton with moves. I think I'm sitting with the third-most transactional volume as opposed to the far-and-away-most transactional volume. otb is king of that this year. The bottom of my roster is always churning and hoping to find that guy that hits mid-season or late. That's definitely me.
I hope you hit on one of those mid/late season gems. It's good to know otb is still alive and kicking. Hopefully JuddZilla is doing well.

Pip connects Tolbert with "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and Michael Mayer draws the comment :oldunsure:

Ohhhh, I get it. Heh. Well, it's been a long year and Pip still managing his team and sticking to his schtick gets a total free pass from me for "Tolbert" and "Tolls."

Having a bad year is no fun and kudos to him for sticking with managing his team and adhering to the requirements of the music part. Not too many songs. songwriters, or performers called "Jalen" or "Tolbert," after all. The Kiwanuka comment was, as LBL pointed out, probably entirely derived subconsciously from my memory of the player for the Giants.

And kudos to you too, Eephus. I love that you stuck with the jazz schtick and names.

I didn't have the energy to search Spotify for "Jalen" or "Tolbert".

I'm still paying attention to FF because both of my money-league teams are doing well. So that helps with keeping up here, not that it's done anything results-wise.

It's not even been injury luck, Burrow is the only key player I've lost. Everyone I drafted has underperformed or been straight-up bad.

Added

Samaje Perine - RB - Broncos

"Sweet Pea" - Miles Davis

I originally picked up Michael Carter because Carter is one of the great surnames in Jazz but switched to Perine this morning after I thought of a song connection.

"Sweet Pea" is a Wayne Shorter ballad that comes from the final recording sessions of Miles' second great quintet. The snare work by Tony Williams is a marvel of restraint from a drummer who could be so powerful.

I'm just happy that I'm guaranteed not to have a losing season this year! I'm the Texans of the League.

Added

Ezekiel Elliott - RB - Patriots

"All In" - The Verve Jazz Ensemble

Spent my remaining FAAB money for my playoffs push because you can't take it with you. Elliott seems like he should be older than 28.

The Verve Jazz Ensemble is a New York based septet that I'd never heard of before but it's a pretty cool song.

Added

Joshua Dobbs - QB - Vikings

"Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" - Fredrik Lundin

Yay--my new starting QB is Josh Dobbs. Desperate times indeed.

Fredrik Lundin is a sax and flute player from Copenhagen. Denmark has always been a hotbed of Jazz for some reason. It's more popular there than here in the land of its birth. This song is another big band arrangement.

Added

Blake Grupe - K - Saints

"Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans" - Ellis Marsalis

I'm pulling out all the stops by switching kickers this week.

I didn't know if Grupe's name is pronounced like "group" or "groupie" so I went with a New Orleans song instead. Hopefully Grupe won't know what it means to miss a kick this weekend. The song is a gorgeous ballad that's performed here on piano by Ellis Marsalis, the father of Wynton and Branford.

Playoff picture going into MNF: three teams (dkp993, Truebluey & Rockaction) are currently tied at 7-6.

If Long Ball Larry's team gets 5 points from the Dolphin's DST and/or kicker, he eliminates dkp993.

Truebluey and Rockaction are playing head-to-head with Rockaction currently leading by 5 points. Truebluey has two players going tonight compared to three for Rockaction. Yahoo's live projection has this one going down to the wire. The winner advances.

Playoff picture going into MNF: three teams (dkp993, Truebluey & Rockaction) are currently tied at 7-6.

If Long Ball Larry's team gets 5 points from the Dolphin's DST and/or kicker, he eliminates dkp993.

Truebluey and Rockaction are playing head-to-head with Rockaction currently leading by 5 points. Truebluey has two players going tonight compared to three for Rockaction. Yahoo's live projection has this one going down to the wire. The winner advances.
Yet I’m 2nd in points on the year. :wall:

@rockaction would say it’s karma for my atrocious lack of music posting throughout the year. He’d probably be right as I was atrocious at it this year, busy life and all.

I just got off suspension for discussing how another site viewed Taylor Swift and her bathroom habits. It was really the weirdest suspension I've had on these boards.

Yes, we shall see what happens tonight. I'm acutely aware of the playoff picture. In my other FFA league, it was "win and you're in" and I lost and am out! Let's hope this goes differently.

I still have to decide between Dontayvion Wicks and Jalen Hyatt. It'll make or break the season, possibly.

For the music posters in all of us.

-ra

I just got off suspension for discussing how another site viewed Taylor Swift and her bathroom habits. It was really the weirdest suspension I've had on these boards.

Yes, we shall see what happens tonight. I'm acutely aware of the playoff picture. In my other FFA league, it was "win and you're in" and I lost and am out! Let's hope this goes differently.

I still have to decide between Dontayvion Wicks and Jalen Hyatt. It'll make or break the season, possibly.

For the music posters in all of us.

-ra
These are the kinds of things that come into play in a 14-team league.

You disappeared last Monday so I figured it had to do with the Eagles-49ers game thread (which was becoming a cesspool before I noped out of it and presumably got worse). I definitely would not have predicted Travis Kelce’s girlfriend’s bathroom habits.

I definitely would not have predicted Travis Kelce’s girlfriend’s bathroom habits.

I got the suspension and was surprised. It was all passive relaying of information about an entirely different site and how the commenters used to talk about her. It contained one language filter word. DO NOT comment about Taylor Swift here. That's twice I've caught banhammers for really innocuous stuff. People are report-happy about her, and I'm guessing I know who those people are.

And honestly, in this case (and I usually don't *****) the mod was really taking stuff out of context and not placing it properly.

It's getting a little tiring not knowing what is worthy of a suspension and what we can talk about. I would get escalating Philly nonsense; I had no idea it would be for Taylor and bathroom stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread