What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summerpalooza V -- Playoffs Over -- Eephus Is Now Two-Time Summerpalooza Champion (3 Viewers)

My team put up a big number on Championship week and I didn't leave a lot of points on the bench which is all you can ask for. If Mixon goes off tonight and we lose, I'll tip my cap to dkp993.

It would have been really annoying though to lose to the team with Cam Akers.

My team put up a big number on Championship week and I didn't leave a lot of points on the bench which is all you can ask for. If Mixon goes off tonight and we lose, I'll tip my cap to dkp993.

It would have been really annoying though to lose to the team with Cam Akers
You’re a gentleman and a scholar. Good luck tonight

Woolen hats and the cold. That's all I can think about tonight. I certainly cannot sleep. Last night I was transported back to my twenty-three year-old self, freezing in the cold winter of Central New York, not too far removed from Western NY with its throngs of Buffalo Bills fans and families who, in the nineties, had already been left high and dry in winter conditions by the companies fleeing the bitter temperatures of Western New York for sunnier pastures and lesser tax burdens. Company towns had felt the international crunch of global competition and had felt the effect of industries packing up and leaving for places less sparse, places where there were more people to hire for cheaper, non-unionized labor. I can remember it -- the aforementioned woolen caps and the dimly-lit houses and bars and restaurants that were feebly aglow by virtue of candlelight, places where young couples and conversation took refuge from the colder elements, often seeking a moment of warmth from the wooden stoves burning their scented embers. And then, a return. A little over a decade ago, I took the bar examination for New York in Buffalo and remember it and its citizens fondly. Something supercharged about the bars that stay open until four in the morning, no candles this time but those burned at both ends.

And it has been twenty-seven years since I interned in Pittsburgh one freezing December-January, a time of great awakening for me. I remember my host family Cee Cee and Ken, and listening to the new Teengenerate album I had on compact disc while they attended a bluegrass show that they went to monthly. Ken drove around with an Iron City beer in what must have been an ancient Pittsburgh, a Pittsburgh of host families for constitutional law non-profits and laws that allowed open containers. That was so long ago. Before PNC Park and the revitalization of the city that today counts itself most importantly as the hometown/city of Damar Hamlin.

And it is to Damar Hamlin whose business we turn, and this finds us joined in progress, passive voice and socco vote...

"It is a constitution we are expounding." - Marshall, C.J., McCulloch v. Maryland (1819)

And thus joined in progress, please remember that not everything is accounted for in written documents or rules, yet there are some basic truths to be found upon which we can expound notions of justice and equitability. That is what Justice Marshall was getting at in his decision and quote mentioned above. He was saying that from the building blocks of the Constitution, things could be inferred. And that brings us to us: we had participants in the game last night and an unresolved result.

In the coming days, the NFL is unlikely to provide us with direction about what to do with last night, either spiritually or statistically. Hamlin's near-death last night will affect everyone and everything football-related differently. Those that dislike the NFL may dislike the way the NFL handled it. Those that defend The Shield will likely laud it for its compassion. What the football world does and what it all means is left to the individual here to rectify in his or her own heart and conscience. I don't imagine a uniform consensus precisely because grief is supra rational. Never judge someone for the way they grieve: the best guidance from literature I have ever received.

Which brings us to this league's result and conclusion. If the NFL provides no statistical guidance, I will contact NV and see what the most equitable result to this can be. I sympathize with the participants. The league that I pour my heart and soul into also saw myself in the championship game, a shouting distance from a potential result, only to see it evaporate with the sinking stomach that accompanied Damar Hamlin's life-threatening injury. In the moment, the fantasy game felt small, but everyone who joined that league and this one put something into it, and administration and justice demand equitability and resolution.

We will talk about and see it through. In the meantime, please send your thoughts and prayers and energy along for the young man. We are blessed to be here.

For those that want to get to know him better, only an email address is required. https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-damar-hamlin-is-exactly-what

Last edited:
Scary scary scene. I don't say this to diminish it at all, especially with the outcome unknown but it's pretty shocking that this has never happened before in the NFL, particularly given that it has happened at least five times in recent memory in the NHL - Rich Peverly, Chris Pronger, Jay Bouwmeester, Craig Cunningham and Jiri Fischer. In Pronger's case, it was commotio cordis as a result of a slap shot to the chest and he made a full recovery and returned to play ten more seasons. In each of the other cases, it was as a result of underlying heart conditions and all survived but none ever played again.

I don't know that that information helps at all, or changes anything or even offers much perspective (I'm sure the reason it's happened more often is that the NHL regular season is 1,312 games long, then hundreds more in the playoffs and the NFL is 272 and then a dozen or so more come playoff) but hopefully the outcome here is similar.

This is what Yahoo! is doing. We are of course not bound by what Yahoo! does as host site.

Yahoo! sports
  • Buffalo Bills

Buffalo Bills
  • Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals
Yahoo Sports Fantasy Staff
Tue, January 3, 2023 at 6:01 PM PST·3 min rea

We understand Yahoo Fantasy Football managers are awaiting news regarding the postponed Week 17 matchup between the Cincinnati Bengals and Buffalo Bills. Our main concern is Damar Hamlin’s health at this time. Our thoughts are with Damar, his family and the Buffalo Bills. These are unprecedented circumstances so we wanted to provide as much clarity as we can while awaiting the NFL’s final decision on the game.

Here’s what you need to know if you are competing in a season-long fantasy league with active playoffs​

• Week 17 standings will update for now, but scoring updates will be applied once a decision regarding the Bills-Bengals game status is made by the NFL. Waivers will be processed as normal for leagues playing in Week 18.
  • Yahoo will be honoring the official NFL Gamebook for Week 17 by updating the stats and fantasy scores in our game to match the official record.
  • If official NFL scoring changes impact the result of your Week 17 matchup, we will retroactively adjust Week 18 matchups to reflect the change.
  • Payouts for Private and Public Prize Leagues will not be processed until a final decision is made by the NFL on the Bills-Bengals game status.
  • League commissioners have the choice to make manual changes through their commissioner tools but we encourage commissioners to wait until the NFL makes a final decision on the game's status.
  • If your league has any active Week 18 playoff matchups, you should set your lineup as usual.
The Week 17 Bills-Bengals game is currently in a postponed state. As such, all stats accumulated hold as is for now (as per official NFL gamebook).

IN THE EVENT OF A BILLS-BENGALS GAME CANCELLATION​

• If the game is declared final by the NFL and scored as is (meaning the score is finalized as 7-3), all fantasy points will remain as is.
  • If the game is canceled and stats are zeroed out by the NFL, all fantasy points accumulated in the Bills-Bengals game will be zeroed out to reflect the official record.

IN THE EVENT OF A BILLS-BENGALS GAME CONTINUATION​

• If the game resumes (at any point in the future), scores will accrue as they normally would for Week 17 matchups. This will impact Week 17 results and Week 18 matchups may be impacted (as necessary).
    • Example: A manager who wins their Week 17 matchup may end up losing after we apply stat corrections following the completion of the Bills-Bengals game. That manager’s Week 18 matchup would then be a 3rd-place game rather than the championship game.
Re-scoring previous weeks is not something we take lightly, as these are truly unprecedented circumstances. However, we want to ensure a fair outcome for all impacted matchups. We hope to never have to implement re-scoring previous weeks in the future.
Waivers will be processed as normal for leagues playing in Week 18.
Thank you for choosing our platform for your fantasy experience and we truly appreciate your patience during this time.
Please bookmark this article to monitor the latest updates and follow @Yahoo Fantasy.

"Wait and see" seems very prudent. In a few leagues where mucho dinero is on the line, I will be fine with whatever outcome occurs. The bragging rights and money seem small right now.

Yeah, I’m of the who TF cares mindset in a free league, though easier for me to say since I’m not in it.

I’m also of the who TF would possibly care mindset in $ leagues, though easier for me to say not being a total POS.

Yeah, I’m of the who TF cares mindset in a free league, though easier for me to say since I’m not in it.

I’m also of the who TF would possibly care mindset in $ leagues, though easier for me to say not being a total POS.
We've had our free league since 1989. It's very competitive. Also a lot of fun.

This situation is just weird, aside from any other considerations.

I think we should wait to see what the NFL does. I'm not averse to a variety of solutions. I've contacted NV but haven't heard back. I think waiting to see about the game status is the way to go and is in keeping with our host site, though they are not determinative.

I get that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter compared to the life-threatening situation Damar Hamlin finds himself in, but we put a lot of effort into the league to just shrug our shoulders and forget it. We, at the least, have two teams in the running for the title and that should be honored along with honoring the player. We can do both. That's my take on it, anyway.

As for the players, each of them is finding out about how to honor Hamlin in his own way, up to and potentially including not playing this weekend.

So let's wait and see.

We, at the least, have two teams in the running for the title and that should be honored along with honoring the player. We can do both. That's my take on it, anyway
In the Championship game, Eephus had no players playing during Monday's game, and dkp had Joe Mixon going. We can see what Joe Mixon gets this weekend (if he plays), and apply that to the Week 17 score. Also, If a makeup game is announced, Joe Mixon's score from that game can be applied to the Week 17 score. Joe Mixon was going to be the deciding factor on who our Champ was going to be, and he still can be that. I'm just putting that out there as a way of figuring out who the Summerpalooza V Champ will be. We can wait and see as you suggested to see how things shake out.

We, at the least, have two teams in the running for the title and that should be honored along with honoring the player. We can do both. That's my take on it, anyway
In the Championship game, Eephus had no players playing during Monday's game, and dkp had Joe Mixon going. We can see what Joe Mixon gets this weekend (if he plays), and apply that to the Week 17 score. Also, If a makeup game is announced, Joe Mixon's score from that game can be applied to the Week 17 score. Joe Mixon was going to be the deciding factor on who our Champ was going to be, and he still can be that. I'm just putting that out there as a way of figuring out who the Summerpalooza V Champ will be. We can wait and see as you suggested to see how things shake out.

This is a great idea, if Ee and dkp are amenable to it.

Yep. I'm aware of the player situation in our league and am actually aware of the options. I'm in several leagues, and they're all handling it differently.

Your suggestion is a bit like what Yahoo! is doing, but a little different. My own league that I wrote about is using Week Eighteen scores to determine the champion, so your suggestion is not unprecedented. It's imperfect, though. As all of the solutions are.

I'm still waiting to see what the NFL does by Friday, if they do anything at all. If they're kicking the can down the road, we'll need some sort of resolution. We can't wait until after Week 18 to apply Week 18 scores. Yahoo! isn't going that route. But we have time before then.

We can always agree to something later in the week. It just has to be before Saturday's games.

Okay, I thought about it, and here goes:

Considering this is a sui generis occurrence and will never happen again in the NFL, I suggest the following.

We do not simply zero out the stats, use the current stats up until stopped play, nor use average game score obtained during the year for Joe Mixon's final stat line. Some leagues are doing this.

What we do is:

If the NFL, at any time, decides to make-up or resume Week 17 CIN/BUF after Week 18 and before the playoffs, then we use Joe Mixon's make-up game score as the definitive fantasy score for Fantasy Week 17. This means we have to wait a couple of weeks.

If they, by either action or inaction, effectively cancel or suspend Week 17 indefinitely -- meaning the playoffs go on without the game having been played -- then we use Joe Mixon's Week 18 scores as the score to use in determining the fantasy football one from Week 17. This is also going to take until the league determines what to do with Week 17.

In other words, Week 18 will go toward determining the fantasy scores, or Week 17's make-up game's score will go towards determining the champion. ANY WEEK 17 STATS ATTAINED BY JOE MIXON IN A MAKE-UP OR RESUMED GAME SUPERSEDE THE WEEK 18 STATS, REGARDLESS OF TEMPORAL ORDER OF GAMES. It depends what the NFL decides to do in a few weeks.

What this solution avoids is having to null out the score from Week 17 or use the average score of each player from the year.

That's the best I can do.

Last edited:

Yep. I'm aware of the player situation in our league and am actually aware of the options. I'm in several leagues, and they're all handling it differently.

Your suggestion is a bit like what Yahoo! is doing, but a little different. My own league that I wrote about is using Week Eighteen scores to determine the champion, so your suggestion is not unprecedented. It's imperfect, though. As all of the solutions are.

I'm still waiting to see what the NFL does by Friday, if they do anything at all. If they're kicking the can down the road, we'll need some sort of resolution. We can't wait until after Week 18 to apply Week 18 scores. Yahoo! isn't going that route. But we have time before then.

We can always agree to something later in the week. It just has to be before Saturday's games.
One of the options I proposed for the league I commish was to provisionally use the Week 18 stats for the affected players, which would stand if the Bengals-Bills game was never rescheduled but would be replaced by the stats for those players from the Bengals-Bills game if it was rescheduled.

I trust the powers that be here to decide the most fair and equitable solution. I’m just reveling in the fact that I this is the one league I’m in I’m not the commissioner of and don’t have to be the one to make the decision.

My old local league is apparently tearing itself asunder over this whole deal. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

Good win, eefs1@
Why? It's not like they run the NFL or something.
:shrug: assholes gonna *******

The guy who's making the biggest, rawest stink is a tech bro gazillionaire

Sounds like 5 more minutes of game time for them would have likely been a different result

My commish sense says the easy solution in these cases is a split

My old local league is apparently tearing itself asunder over this whole deal. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

Good win, eefs1@
In the league I’ve been running for 20+ yrs we are just adding the week 18 stats from the players that didn’t play in 17. It’s a very competitive trash talking league with $4k in the pot and no one had any issues with it. Seems a strange thing to get worked up over. The situations called “unprecedented“ for a reason.

Good win, eefs1@
In the league I’ve been running for 20+ yrs we are just adding the week 18 stats from the players that didn’t play in 17. It’s a very competitive trash talking league with $4k in the pot and no one had any issues with it. Seems a strange thing to get worked up over. The situations called “unprecedented“ for a reason.
That's the solution my league went with. I guess we're more selective about who joins. No butt weasels.

Good win, eefs1@
That's the solution my league went with. I guess we're more selective about who joins. No butt weasels.
Well I quit that league after they colluded against me at auction

Good win, eefs1@

We can do that if Mixon has a 25 point week but it won't affect my PLATINUM LEVEL rating at Yahoo.

Good win, eefs1@

We can do that if Mixon has a 25 point week but it won't affect my PLATINUM LEVEL rating at Yahoo.
definitely definitely don’t want to affect your Yahoo rating. But ultimately it’s not my call. I’m down with whatever.

LOLOL.

Whoa, wait! I'm gone for the day and this is how it goes?

Not so fast, gents. We're adding the Week 18 scores here. It's going to take 24.39 points from Mixon for dkp993 to be champion. Otherwise Eephus retains platinum status.

Yahoo! can be overturned. Just a flick of the commissioner's tools and it's all for naught.

This was awful for everybody, but it is the most equitable way I can see to have it seen through.

Peace.

In case anybody cares, I'm at bronze.

Most importantly, Damar Hamlin Facetimed his team today. Off of breathing apparatus, according to my brother who popped by for a moment today. That. Is. Awesome.

Good win, eefs1@
Well I quit that league after they colluded against me at auction
Fair.

What song does the crowd keep singing in Buffalo?

I can't make sense of anything over the din of Tony Romo's never ending bullshi

I do know that when the Canton Bulldogs drafted John Brown 100 years ago they did it for his sp33d

I had to edit that post. Mixon came up eight fantasy points short. Sorry about that. He was a ways away, not eight yards.

I watched pregame both days this weekend but I have no idea what the playoff scenarios are looking like , other than who's in so far. I guess it would have been considered gauche to discuss. I did find out unsurprisingly that Rex Ryan is shameless enough to go full Rittenhouse on national TV

Users who are viewing this thread