What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (2 Viewers)

Top 4 in the Champions Classic tonight at MSG

#1 MSU vs #2 KY

#3 KS vs #4 Dook

Both games should be excellent. I don’t think State is clicking together yet with all the new guys being put in the lineup. Takes Izzo a month usually to sort through his rotation. 

#GOGREEN

Went to the Badgers vs. UW La Crosse.  The badgers have a ways to go.  Not sure if there was much addition to this team.  Biggest changes are the loss of Happ and Iverson.  Maybe the NCAA will come to it's senses and let Potter play.

dino259 said:
Went to the Badgers vs. UW La Crosse.  The badgers have a ways to go.  Not sure if there was much addition to this team.  Biggest changes are the loss of Happ and Iverson.  Maybe the NCAA will come to it's senses and let Potter play.
Happ was the same guy in year 4 as he was in year 1.  not sure he's a big loss.  and Iverson... meh. terrific athlete but that's about it.

that said, can't wait to see UW go down to St. Mary's tonight and then listen to the pundits tomorrow talking about how the Big 10 conference is in for a down year.

Happ was the same guy in year 4 as he was in year 1.  not sure he's a big loss.  and Iverson... meh. terrific athlete but that's about it.

that said, can't wait to see UW go down to St. Mary's tonight and then listen to the pundits tomorrow talking about how the Big 10 conference is in for a down year.
Yeah, wasn't so much the loss of those 2 as it was there wasn't much new added.  I am hoping you and I are wrong and the win tonight but they will need to shoot lights out.

Yeah, wasn't so much the loss of those 2 as it was there wasn't much new added.  I am hoping you and I are wrong and the win tonight but they will need to shoot lights out.
it's a tough 1st game. these first few are always weird regardless.

can't wait to see UW go down to St. Mary's tonight and then listen to the pundits tomorrow talking about how the Big 10 conference is in for a down year.
St. Mary's is a tough opener.  Jordan Ford is a great college player.  The Gaels play as slow as the Badgers so it won't be pretty.

looks like Bucky put up a fight last night.  couldn't find a broadcast anywhere.  anyone actually see the game?  was it well played? see-saw game?

dino259 said:
The Potter situation pisses me off so much. I don't know or care how good he is, but it boils my blood when the NCAA punishes a guy like this who was focused on his academics and trying to do everything right.

looks like Bucky put up a fight last night.  couldn't find a broadcast anywhere.  anyone actually see the game?  was it well played? see-saw game?
I caught a bit of the 2nd half and OT. Reuvers is going to be their guy. He's turning into a really solid player. Trice is nice, but they need an outstanding guard. Kobe King is kinda like Iverson mentioned above. Helluvan athlete but he had an awful late turnover that probably cost them a chance to win the game. He's gotta put it all together soon. They'll certainly need to grow throughout the season but a 4th-6th B1G finish isn't out of the question. Way too early to make concrete judgements. 

#FreeMicahPotter

Edit - Full transparency, #FreeJoeyHauser for you MSU fans. He should be playing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught a bit of the 2nd half and OT. Reuvers is going to be their guy. He's turning into a really solid player. Trice is nice, but they need an outstanding guard. Kobe King is kinda like Iverson mentioned above. Helluvan athlete but he had an awful late turnover that probably cost them a chance to win the game. He's gotta put it all together soon. They'll certainly need to grow throughout the season but a 4th-6th B1G finish isn't out of the question. Way too early to make concrete judgements. 

#FreeMicahPotter

Edit - Full transparency, #FreeJoeyHauser for you MSU fans. He should be playing too.
Its probably going to be one of those middle-of-the-pack years, but the good news is that Gard and his team seem to have done great early work on the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes with a couple 4 star guys and several good looking 3 stars.  So we got that going for us ...

https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Season/2021-Basketball/Commits/

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ethan-happ-1.html

Come on, that's such a lazy take.  Happ ended up being limited by lack of any shooting touch outside... well, the lane really, but he's still one of the best players in Badger basketball history.
oh man. maybe he's a victim of my own too high expectations.

as a freshman he was a revelation. that old man game was amazing to watch. no one knew what was coming. but he never developed any further. he was the same guy through his entire tenure. his game was limited to 5 feet and in.

i dunno if he worked hard at an outside shot, or free throws, or jumping.. and if he did.. god bless.. but it never worked out.

if he had any semblance of a jump shot or the ability to capitalize on being fouled he would have been so much better.

on a scale of 1/10 i'd give him like a 6.5/7.  that's my personal take on it.

my god, he shot 53% for someone who never took a shot further from the basket than 5 feet. that should be much, much higher. 

Tough gutsy road win for the Spartans tonight at Seton Hall.  Huge game from freshman Malik Hall tonight. Thanks Coach Painter!

GOGREEN

Potter denied.  Completely illogical, unfair, and disgusting.  Yet, of course, totally expected from these ####sticks.
Sorry to hear. Absolutely ridiculous 

The personnel on the review committee for Hauser (not sure if the same for Potter) was a joke. Cuonzo Martin, Matt Painter, Romaro Gull of Seton Hall (who just lost a very tough game against MSU last wee) and Marquette’s Markus Howard? !!!

Lol, yea I’m sure there was no problems there. Lol what a joke.

Izzo resigned from his seat on the NABC board of directors as a result of the transfer situation in college basketball and the Hauser decision.

Wiseman eligible after a 12 game suspension and ordered to pay 12k to a charity of his choosing for accepting money in 2017....Which will basically be a game’s paycheck next year in the league.

Potter/Hauser: ineligible

Yeah that definitely makes sense.

Sorry to hear. Absolutely ridiculous 

The personnel on the review committee for Hauser (not sure if the same for Potter) was a joke. Cuonzo Martin, Matt Painter, Romaro Gull of Seton Hall (who just lost a very tough game against MSU last wee) and Marquette’s Markus Howard? !!!
Howard is a non-voting member

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
So no influence on the rest of the membership then?
No, just stating a fact.

I think it's good to involve a student-athlete but the whole process lacks transparency.  The number of transfers in college basketball seems to get bigger every year as does the number of appeals.

I know I'm not neutral but Potter's case seemed pretty solid.  I guess the worst case is he'll basically miss another month of games but that's 12% of a player's college career that he won't get back.

As I understand it, Hauser's appeal was to play this season, not an appeal to get his redshirt season back.  I'm totally in favor of the latter.

I guess I don't get why there would be any expectation that Joey Hauser would be eligible this year.

I think there is far more cause for people to be upset with Potter's case being denied than Hauser's.

Beilein left a pretty good team behind.  Howard is looking like a solid coach who will be potentially be a great recruiter.  Big win today against NC.  Maybe even a bigger test tomorrow against Gonzaga.   Right now getting Howard looks like a brilliant move, but still early and there will be a learning curve. 

Looks like Michigan only got a number 5 which is still pretty good considering they were unranked, but really deserved higher.  Certainly they can not keep shooting the 3-pointers at a 50 percent clip, but they are stacked with 3-point shooters.  Teske has turned into a beast in the middle at both ends of the court.  Simpson is just a super-smart experienced and talented point guard.   This is a better team than last years with fewer weaknesses which lacked the consistent scorer. 

After next's week game against Louisville, they could remove all doubt about how good this team is.  Big10 is stacked this year with 4 potential elite teams.  It is going to be a really tough season for the mid-tier teams.  

I usually dont engage in basketball until January but a top 5 matchup featuring Michigan has my attention.

Cliff notes on the new pieces on this team?

I usually dont engage in basketball until January but a top 5 matchup featuring Michigan has my attention.

Cliff notes on the new pieces on this team?
Most of the team is just vastly improved pieces from last year.  Howard has worked with Teske in the post and has made Teske a key part of the offense which helps set up the 3's.  Teske has been a great intimidating defender, but his presence on the offense is huge.  Simpson has also greatly improved as a shooter, but is still mainly the guy feeding everyone else with an impressive 9.7 assists per game.  Livers was basically their sixth man last year, now he is their leading scoring killing it from 3-point range at over 50 percent.  Eli Brooks was a bit player last year, now is a starter showing the ability to knock down three's at 50% percent, which he did not do so well last year.    

The only real new guy is Franz Wagner, Moritz brother. He has been hurt with a fractured wrist, but got his first playing time in the Bahama's.  He looked pretty good, but was also rusty.  He will likely be the fifth starter or the sixth man.  6'-7" can play guard or forward, smart tough player, great shooter also.  Probably would have been considered a 5-star recruit had he been in the US.  David DeJulius was the 5th starter, but will move into the sixth man role.  Was non-existent last season.  Been giving them some good minutes and can also shoot the 3's.  Brandon Johns and Castleton have a similar role as last year, giving them some good size off the bench and stepping in for Teske when needed.  

Basically, the team has a great point guard and center, with a bunch of guys who can light it up from 3's and plays tough D.  Even with the losses of their three leading scorers, this team is better.  This team will shoot better from inside and out.  

I figured we would miss Iggy, but not Matthews. Sounds like Brooks is filling Poole's shoes. Should be fun  :popcorn:

I figured we would miss Iggy, but not Matthews. Sounds like Brooks is filling Poole's shoes. Should be fun  :popcorn:
Matthews was pretty disappointing last season.  Brooks is showing to be a more efficient scorer than both Poole and Iggy.  Last year's team suffered from inconsistency.    

Most of the team is just vastly improved pieces from last year.  Howard has worked with Teske in the post and has made Teske a key part of the offense which helps set up the 3's.  Teske has been a great intimidating defender, but his presence on the offense is huge.  Simpson has also greatly improved as a shooter, but is still mainly the guy feeding everyone else with an impressive 9.7 assists per game.  Livers was basically their sixth man last year, now he is their leading scoring killing it from 3-point range at over 50 percent.  Eli Brooks was a bit player last year, now is a starter showing the ability to knock down three's at 50% percent, which he did not do so well last year.    

The only real new guy is Franz Wagner, Moritz brother. He has been hurt with a fractured wrist, but got his first playing time in the Bahama's.  He looked pretty good, but was also rusty.  He will likely be the fifth starter or the sixth man.  6'-7" can play guard or forward, smart tough player, great shooter also.  Probably would have been considered a 5-star recruit had he been in the US.  David DeJulius was the 5th starter, but will move into the sixth man role.  Was non-existent last season.  Been giving them some good minutes and can also shoot the 3's.  Brandon Johns and Castleton have a similar role as last year, giving them some good size off the bench and stepping in for Teske when needed.  

Basically, the team has a great point guard and center, with a bunch of guys who can light it up from 3's and plays tough D.  Even with the losses of their three leading scorers, this team is better.  This team will shoot better from inside and out.  
Nunez was starting prior to Wagner taking over in the Bahamas.  He now plays a very limited role.  DeJulius is their 6th man and they pretty much play 6 guys extended minutes with a few other filling in for a few minutes.

Saw the Gophers in person last night for the first time this season.  We are going to miss Coffey's ability to just get a bucket in crunch time or when the shot clock is low, but it sure is nice to have a real point guard and some three point shooters.  Just going to be a middle of the road team, but it will be fun rooting for the improved home town kids.

Only down 10 after shooting 20% and making only 1 3-pointer.  Second half can only get better, right?  

Users who are viewing this thread