What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (5 Viewers)

So the NCAA was looking to make some sort of announcement about college basketball in "mid September"...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-08-17/ncaas-dan-gavitt-offers-mid-september-date-announcement-2020-21-college

I have no idea what to expect, but I do think there will be an honest effort at a full season.  It feels like many years ago when Indiana and Nebraska were wrapping up, what we didn't know at the time, was the end of the BigTen tournament.  Definitely a surreal background during that game, with Fred Hoiberg clearly sick on the bench and not returning for the second half...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20200311_NEB@IND/

There is a lot of speculation right now the Maui Invitational might be held in Indianapolis; so it seems like there is serious intent for non-conference play.  We should find our more soon though...

Watched the second half of the Rutgers-UMD game, and Rutgers won, 74-60. And it was not a fluke. They are for real. Some stats they quoted on the broadcast: Rutgers is 5-0 with all wins being by 10+ for the first time since 1935? This is the first time they've won their Big Ten opener (0-6 to this point). First time they've won At Maryland since (I don't remember the year but it was many decades). This is going to be a tough, tough conference again this season. 16-4 will Absolutely win this conference, if any team can manage it.

And how long has Geo Baker been there, six or seven years now?

I don't know how good Rutgers is this year.  They might be very good.  I am pretty sure that Maryland is not good this year.  Thinking the Terps go 7-13 in conference at best.

I don't know how good Rutgers is this year.  They might be very good.  I am pretty sure that Maryland is not good this year.  Thinking the Terps go 7-13 in conference at best.
I think Rutgers is really good. They were tough as nails last season and I believe it's carried over.

I agree that MD is going to struggle. They lost 2 AAs from last year. They have good players on this year's team, but they don't fit together very well - their 5 or 6 best guys are all wings. 

Rutgers is good enough where if they could actually hit free throws on a consistent basis, I think a deep run in the tourney would be possible. But I already know that's gonna come back and bite them in the ### at some point. 

I think they'll finish the regular season ranked not far from where they are now, 12-15 range. 

Watched a bit of OSU -Purdue, both looked good. Illinois -Rutgers  Sunday at noon  With 3 of top 7  in Illinois rotation freshman this might be a great opportunity for Rutgers. With 4 returning starters for Illinois, an AA and two possible All Big Ten team starters...should be a great game. Illinois played an excellent Baylor team and a very good and motivated Missouri team in games to toughen them up.  Illinois weaknesses so far this season...turnovers and ft shooting. However this game turns out it is an early test for two Big contenders.  

Watched a bit of OSU -Purdue, both looked good. Illinois -Rutgers  Sunday at noon  With 3 of top 7  in Illinois rotation freshman this might be a great opportunity for Rutgers. With 4 returning starters for Illinois, an AA and two possible All Big Ten team starters...should be a great game. Illinois played an excellent Baylor team and a very good and motivated Missouri team in games to toughen them up.  Illinois weaknesses so far this season...turnovers and ft shooting. However this game turns out it is an early test for two Big contenders.  
I didn't get to watch all of the second half of Rutgers - Illinois but was fun from what I saw. Obviously enjoyed the result. Ron Harper has taken his game up a level or two with how he's improved his 3 pt shooting early on. 

I didn't get to watch all of the second half of Rutgers - Illinois but was fun from what I saw. Obviously enjoyed the result. Ron Harper has taken his game up a level or two with how he's improved his 3 pt shooting early on. 
Good game, hard to win in Big without any mobile forwards. Both of our expected 4's for this season are injured. Mulcahey was bent on getting a rise out of Williams and managed to do it. Huge learning curve with 3 of our top 7 frosh and the injuries to BBV and Hutcherson. This is Illinois toughest of first 10 Big games. Hope for a rematch in BTT. 

Rutgers just blew an enormous second half lead against OSU thanks to non stop foul calls against big men, and already being down another big due to injury.

Might lose this by 10+.

RUSF18 said:
12 pt loss. I was close. 

Pikiell got the first technical of his career today. 

This was the 5th foul called on Myles Johnson: 

https://twitter.com/eriksa10/status/1341893578537234432?s=21
Consider how bad of an official Boroski is that Pikiell of all people feels it necessary to get a technical foul to make his displeasure clear.

That 5th foul call was an absolute abomination .

Last edited by a moderator:
Entertaining season so far. The conference is really deep. Not sure there is anyone who can beat Baylor or the Zags. But super deep. 

Great effort for the Gophers tonight, beating Iowa in OT. They will likely crack the top 25 this week. 
I hope not.  Don’t want to see it get to their heads.  It was a nice win.  Let’s see them win another couple of these next five against ranked opponents.  If they can do that, then a national ranking MIGHT be warranted.  As it stands now, they’ve got one good win, and a bunch of others that were expected wins.  

I hope not.  Don’t want to see it get to their heads.  It was a nice win.  Let’s see them win another couple of these next five against ranked opponents.  If they can do that, then a national ranking MIGHT be warranted.  As it stands now, they’ve got one good win, and a bunch of others that were expected wins.  
It’s not up to me but when a team is 8-1 with a win against a top 5 team, it’s likely they find themselves ranked. 

It’s not up to me but when a team is 8-1 with a win against a top 5 team, it’s likely they find themselves ranked. 
Wasn’t disagreeing necessarily.  I’d just rather not see them ranked (yet).  I think being ranked at this point in the season could do them more harm than good.  

Well, #21 it is.  We'll see what happens.... hopefully, it doesn't lessen the chip on their shoulder, so to speak.  Should be an interesting next couple of weeks, and rest of the B10 season, for that matter.  One thing is for sure.... Michigan State is going to be ready to go this evening, coming off a couple of losses.  

Michigan State is going to be ready to go this evening, coming off a couple of losses.  
Speaking as a Spartan alum and slappy, we’ll see. They have been in a bad shooting funk of late. Of course, This is the usual time in the season Izzo is shuffling the lineups around until mid-late January. So that’s part of it. Guard play has been inconsistent and Bingham has been non existent. Joey Hauser has been about the only bright spot.

Minny is a tough out. 

Told ya...
Yes you did.  Not the MSU I’m used to seeing.  Usually, they are the team finding a way to win, even when they maybe don’t shoot it well, or play that well.  Tonight was the other way around.  Not sure if MIN is good, or they’re that bad.... probably a combination of both.  It’s still relatively early....

As for MIN, I’m encouraged by the improvements I’ve seen so far this year.  They are significantly better than they were a month ago, barely beating the likes of BC and LMU.  This conference stretch is going to be fun to watch.  Probably agonizing at times, as well, but a lot of fun.

No Harper Jr tonight for Rutgers vs Purdue is going to be a problem. This team isn't deep enough to be down multiple starters unfortunately. 

No Harper Jr tonight for Rutgers vs Purdue is going to be a problem. This team isn't deep enough to be down multiple starters unfortunately. 
Not when they are unconscious from 3 in the first half.  And it’s Purdue.  You’re in luck.

Brutal first half in East Lansing tonight. 28-22 MSU. 

Ugly basketball.

Rutgers is decent and the the boys made Ron Harper a non factor. Defense, rebounding, ball movement. Hoggard has been a huge spark.

A win, great defense, and a ton of turnovers. Doesn't get more MSU basketball than that. Go Green

Rutgers is decent and the the boys made Ron Harper a non factor. Defense, rebounding, ball movement. Hoggard has been a huge spark.

A win, great defense, and a ton of turnovers. Doesn't get more MSU basketball than that. Go Green
Henry has really stepped up the last couple games as well. Great to see Langford back. I hope he is able to return to form. 

Not trying to take anything away from MSU but that was a horrific effort by Rutgers last night. They didn't look anything like themselves or anything like they have in a few years. 

That was Eddie Jordan era basketball  (edit: coach, not player).

Michigan is playing incredible these past few games against Maryland, #19 Northwestern, and tonight #16 Minnesota.  They went on an 18-0 run and were up 35 in the second half before clearing their bench.  Freshman Hunter Dickinson is playing like an absolute beast inside and they are looking dominant on both offense and defense.  

Users who are viewing this thread