What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (25 Viewers)

If I had a ticket to todays game, I would disagree. I agree with your premise of the lost season, but this season has seen players like Falk and now Blough start NFL games. I would rather see Kap play because of what would happen with the drama around it at least then watch a known disaster proceed with a guy I never heard of, like many of us.
That is a good point. Most people going to the game want to see the Lions win regardless of their record or anything. There is zero chance in hell though that the Lions would have signed Kap to play on Thanksgiving Day. Yes it would have created drama but I don't think the Ford family is interested in that kind of drama. 

That is a good point. Most people going to the game want to see the Lions win regardless of their record or anything. There is zero chance in hell though that the Lions would have signed Kap to play on Thanksgiving Day. Yes it would have created drama but I don't think the Ford family is interested in that kind of drama. 
I agree, but when a team in a very blue city like Detroit dont feel the need to sign a QB when they are very beat down at the position starting a scrub no one heard of..that seals the deal for Kap career. But I think we knew that, point is, Detroit doesnt ever want to win games and to be honest, nothing in their past 10 years (even earlier) have even signaled winning matters to them. The city of Detroit knew what the Lions were all about when they let Barry walk. Tell me a Lions fan who didnt realize that was the moment they are cursed? Detroit needs a jump start to its brand of football, even if the jump start is from drama. All starting Blough tells me is Martha is and has been a thief all her life, as her and her husbands plan was just to make money off of the hard working people of Detroit, not bring home a winning team. 

I agree, but when a team in a very blue city like Detroit dont feel the need to sign a QB when they are very beat down at the position starting a scrub no one heard of..that seals the deal for Kap career. But I think we knew that, point is, Detroit doesnt ever want to win games and to be honest, nothing in their past 10 years (even earlier) have even signaled winning matters to them. The city of Detroit knew what the Lions were all about when they let Barry walk. Tell me a Lions fan who didnt realize that was the moment they are cursed? Detroit needs a jump start to its brand of football, even if the jump start is from drama. All starting Blough tells me is Martha is and has been a thief all her life, as her and her husbands plan was just to make money off of the hard working people of Detroit, not bring home a winning team. 
Yeah but the last thing they want are protests outside the game with flag waiving and all that. Or people on social media bashing Ford Motor saying to  boycott them, etc. The Ford truck is their lifeblood and I'm guessing there are a lot of Ford truck owners who don't want to Kap in the NFL. 

Yeah but the last thing they want are protests outside the game with flag waiving and all that. Or people on social media bashing Ford Motor saying to  boycott them, etc. The Ford truck is their lifeblood and I'm guessing there are a lot of Ford truck owners who don't want to Kap in the NFL. 
I agree. Who does want that? But they should think about that before owning biz that can interfere in real NFL decision making and I think is part of why some dont liek Martha owning the team.

But the statement about the truck kinda of proves my very last sentence, does it not? 

Honestly don’t think that the Fords are stopping this team winning. There’s been a whole myriad of things over the last 10-15 years...

- last top draft choices before the reformed rookie pay scale 

- The team that went to Dallas in the playoffs had a great D, but the team was hamstrung by a poor offensive coordinator  in Lombardi who ended up leaving the year after. Opportunity missed. 

- Ownership was too conservative before Martha took the reigns. 

- Difficult division that has had Rodgers in it for a decade and a Vikings team that has been very good under Zimmer for five odd years now. We had games against the Packers to win the division where we fell just short, and also played and beat the Vikings several times over the last 5 years. 

I think you could have swapped us into several other divisions and across the last ten years we would have probably have hosted playoff games and won. No excuses, we have played in a tough division, had quite a few years where we had good teams but ultimately we came up just short every time. 

I can see why Quinn moved on from Caldwell, he said 9-7 wasn’t good enough, what he didn’t expressly say was that we would better 9-7 immediately. Just that Caldwell had reached his limit and this is something I agree with. 

I agree with Quinn bringing in his guy that he felt, if given time, wouldn’t top out at 9-7 and a rod playoff game. If his choice isn’t correct then yes that will be on him and he will have to pay for it eventually, however, I’m perfectly happy to call this season a wash and give Patricia next season at least....

Patricia/Quinn seem to have gone outside their circle  made a very good offensive coordinator decision. Don’t forget how well the O was doing under Stafford. I want to see Pasqualoni go end of this year and have Patricia/Quinn do their due diligence and bring in a new DC with some fresh ideas to add to the mix. 

Teams always have injuries, but our D has been absolutely cremated by them this year. We never came close to playing our preferred front 7 this season. Our top CB has been injured erratic. There’s depth and then there’s having to play 3rd and 4th stringers off the street. Add that to the now Staffordless O and stick a fork in us. 

Im not saying the current staff is definitely the answer but I’m willing to let it play out a while further. Constantly changing staffs is as bad and unhelpful as intransigence and sticking with a staff too long. 

Vikings are entering cap hell next year I think. I’m not convinced the Packers are all that and as I suspected The Bears are not the all domineering team they were last season. If we get our #### together, get healthy on D and just keep doing what we were doing with Stafford, there is a chance it could turn around 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been starting both Golladay and Jones almost every week, and doing well for a 16-team league, but will only use one today given the QB situation and the opponent. Who is the better start?

David Blough: 30-42-380 yards, 3 TDs as Purdue crushed Ohio State last year.

So he has to be good against the crappy Bears right??

Not a bad debut for Blough. Yes, the team's been decimated by injury and the fans are likely to call for Patricia and Quinn's jobs(what else is new), there are a few good pieces to take a closer look at going forward.

The offense does a few good things here and there, despite being down to 3rd stringers at key positions.  But how can you have a lead in all 12 games and only win 3?  That's mainly on the D.

The offense does a few good things here and there, despite being down to 3rd stringers at key positions.  But how can you have a lead in all 12 games and only win 3?  That's mainly on the D.
The single biggest reason for their poor performance is injury. They've never been at full strength this season, and it shows in a big way. Having Stafford out doesn't help things, either.

The single biggest reason for their poor performance is injury. They've never been at full strength this season, and it shows in a big way. Having Stafford out doesn't help things, either.
Every team has injuries, only the Lions have Matty Patty.  😫

Every team has injuries, only the Lions have Matty Patty.  😫
Yeah, God forbid a coach struggle his first time in a new job, while a fan base completely undeserving of a team ####### and moans about every single move he or the team makes, because they made different moves in the rookie mode of the latest Madden game and it worked out great! The Lions deserve a championship, but their fans don't deserve a team.

Edit: I am a Lions fan, but a lot of people need to get a grip. Stuff goes wrong, deal with it. The Fords aren't selling the team, if you hate them that much, there are 31 other teams in the league. Pick one.

Yeah, God forbid a coach struggle his first time in a new job, while a fan base completely undeserving of a team ####### and moans about every single move he or the team makes, because they made different moves in the rookie mode of the latest Madden game and it worked out great! The Lions deserve a championship, but their fans don't deserve a team.

Edit: I am a Lions fan, but a lot of people need to get a grip. Stuff goes wrong, deal with it. The Fords aren't selling the team, if you hate them that much, there are 31 other teams in the league. Pick one.
That's pretty harsh. I know lots of Lions fans who drink the kool-aid and support the team every year no matter what, always think this year will be different, etc. I have been very hard on Patricia and am getting more and more critical of Quinn. I am not saying I can do their job. I can't but that doesn't mean I can not be critical about their choices. 

That's pretty harsh. I know lots of Lions fans who drink the kool-aid and support the team every year no matter what, always think this year will be different, etc. I have been very hard on Patricia and am getting more and more critical of Quinn. I am not saying I can do their job. I can't but that doesn't mean I can not be critical about their choices. 
I'm saying that the ones who do nothing but complain don't deserve a team to root for. I'm disappointed in how the Lions are doing, but I also know that it's pretty hard to win games without your starting defense and starting QB not being able to play. Pretty much any team not named the Patriots would struggle with that situation. But no, even back in Week 1, when they tied a team for the first time in my lifetime, here comes the "Fire Quinn and Patricia" crowd. That's why I don't really talk to other Lions fans, that and the fact that I live in Florida.

Lions fans have been getting screwed over by this ownership for 60 years now, buts lets not be too harsh or suddenly it's their fault this team continues to suck. Right.

Lions fans have been getting screwed over by this ownership for 60 years now, buts lets not be too harsh or suddenly it's their fault this team continues to suck. Right.
Most of that time, they were owned by William Clay Ford, a man who had little idea how to run a team, that's true. Since he died, his widow has cleaned house, hired a consultant to find a GM, and actively tried to make the team better. But yeah, let's pretend that nothing has changed from an operations standpoint.

Most of that time, they were owned by William Clay Ford, a man who had little idea how to run a team, that's true. Since he died, his widow has cleaned house, hired a consultant to find a GM, and actively tried to make the team better. But yeah, let's pretend that nothing has changed from an operations standpoint.
I agree with this- I like Martha.I liked the Quinn hire. However, at this point, I am not convinced Quinn fully gets it. I have never liked the Patricia hire so I have been critical at every step with him. 

Still the same family owned for all 60 miserable years, no matter how you spin it. And the exact same miserable results.

Still the same family owned for all 60 miserable years, no matter how you spin it. And the exact same miserable results.
You're right, 2008 is exactly the same as 2019. Hiring people from the most successful franchise in the league is exactly the same as bringing an incompetent buffoon with zero experience who took a team on the edge of decency and turned them into a laughingstock for the next decade. No difference whatsoever here.

You're right, 2008 is exactly the same as 2019. Hiring people from the most successful franchise in the league is exactly the same as bringing an incompetent buffoon with zero experience who took a team on the edge of decency and turned them into a laughingstock for the next decade. No difference whatsoever here.
Record wise this is correct.

If you don't work for the Fords, you should.
My grandfathers both worked in the Ford factories near Detroit. Rooting for the Lions and the Wolverines are pretty much the last things tying me to anything in that state, since I follow the Lightning, and if I watched baseball, the Rays. I realize things go wrong with teams during the year, but constantly calling for everyone to be fired is a pointless endeavor. If doing something makes a person that miserable, they should stop doing it.

My grandfathers both worked in the Ford factories near Detroit. Rooting for the Lions and the Wolverines are pretty much the last things tying me to anything in that state, since I follow the Lightning, and if I watched baseball, the Rays. I realize things go wrong with teams during the year, but constantly calling for everyone to be fired is a pointless endeavor. If doing something makes a person that miserable, they should stop doing it.
I'm not miserable at at all. Hard to be miserable when you have a clown organization like the lions to laugh at on a weekly basis.

I'm not miserable at at all. Hard to be miserable when you have a clown organization like the lions to laugh at on a weekly basis.
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was referring to the people who claim to follow the team, but never say anything positive about the team, rant that the Fords should sell(not all owners are as hands on as Jerry Jones, and he sucks at it anyway, so blaming the owners makes little sense), or that everyone should be fired despite the fact that the Lions have been devastated by injuries, which makes it harder to win. Now, if they want to fire the strength coach, go for it! Dude's washed up, evidently. Honestly, Pasqualoni can go as well, the defense has gone backwards.

Broncos win. Dolphins win. Redskins win.

Detroit sitting at #6, and could reasonably fall to #3 (Miami has 3 winnable games, Skins have Giants, Falcons have Jaguars & maybe Panthers). 

Unless they win a game, but we'll see about that if it happens. 

Broncos win. Dolphins win. Redskins win.

Detroit sitting at #6, and could reasonably fall to #3 (Miami has 3 winnable games, Skins have Giants, Falcons have Jaguars & maybe Panthers). 

Unless they win a game, but we'll see about that if it happens. 
We can only hope for the worst.

Disagree with the thread title, a bit.  They can still piss in the Packer's Cheerios and I know some would like to see that after the first game this year.

Quandre Diggs playing lights out for Seattle. Patricia and Quinn need to go.

But the Detroit franchise has a history since the Fords of enabling failure.

So more of the same next year except Stafford will keep the team in games.

Users who are viewing this thread