What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs that are better than the original (1 Viewer)

Here is one more; Creep by Radiohead performed by Prince. The end result of a loooong battle (performed in 2008) between Radiohead and Prince over copyright infringement.

Isn't it a benefit if Prince deems one of your songs worthy to play in a concert of his? Long song, wait for the solo.
This is awesome

I am one of the biggest Zeppelin fans there is, and I don't know if Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven is better than the original, but it's pretty dang close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk

Those thinking this is sacrilegious, flame away.
I am one of the biggest Zeppelin fans there is, and I don't know if Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven is better than the original, but it's pretty dang close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk

Those thinking this is sacrilegious, flame away.
I wouldn't say better, but a fantastic performance. You can tell how impressed Page, Plant, JPJ - and President Obama - were.

The Wilson ladies have always channeled Led Zep amazingly. Probably mentioned well upthread, but I think where they really did outdo Led Zep was with Battle of Evermore.
The fact that it's live makes it more impressive.

Ann Wilson has one of the best voices ever. I like how she is able to knock hers down a bit deeper so she sounds more like Page.

Like this comment from the YouTube. Must have been a bit nerve-wracking!

No pressure gals 'n' guys, it's only Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones watching from upstairs.
And John Bonham's son as their drummer - talk about knocking it out of the park.
Blue Lou Marini (from the Blues Brothers) was playing sax. You get a glimpse of him right before the guitar solo.

One of the most moving and emotional vocal perfromances I have ever heard . . .

Fiona Apple - I Want You (Elvis Costello)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99X1GPQRFrU
Thanks for that link. I've been listening to it all day. Not a Costello fan at all. Love Fiona Apple, but most of her songs are kind of meh, so I never really got hooked on her other stuff.
I've always loved this, Fiona Apple's version of "Across the Universe"

The Brothers Johnson's version of "Strawberry Letter 23" over Shuggie Otis' original

Shuggie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHe_15fJeCA

Johnsons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC1TBxflN2I

I guess Dead & Airplane fans would like Otis' version since it's sloppy and disjointed but, in one of the few times I'll ever say this, I prefer Quincy Jones' cleaned up production.
:thumbup: In the late 1970s - 1980 the Brothers Johnson put out three great albums. Still a guilty pleasure.

I was going to post this as well.  I'm not a fan of disturbed but this was such a powerful version.  I think it is better than the original (especially 1964 version).
Yep.  He can't compete with Art Garfunkel's voice, but the music and emotion of Draimans' version is much better than the original.  I actually tear up a little when I hear it. 

Blackberry Smoke is one of the better bands of the past decade if you are into southern rock. I'd love to see them live sometime.

Their current tour for anyone interested: http://www.blackberrysmoke.com/tour.html
I saw them in Myrtle Beach back in March.  Fantastic show.  Southern rock lives on through bands like this but they are so much more.  Charlie Starr is an amazing guitarist and I love his distinct voice.  His acoustic sets are amazing as well.  I can't get enough of Ain't Got the Blues and Lesson in a Bottle.  

I saw them in Myrtle Beach back in March.  Fantastic show.  Southern rock lives on through bands like this but they are so much more.  Charlie Starr is an amazing guitarist and I love his distinct voice.  His acoustic sets are amazing as well.  I can't get enough of Ain't Got the Blues and Lesson in a Bottle.  
So as someone who has never heard of Blackberry Smoke - where should I start? Any songs in particular?

So as someone who has never heard of Blackberry Smoke - where should I start? Any songs in particular?
Youtube has some vids. I like most of their stuff.  Here's a few I mentioned:

Ain't much left of me 

Lesson in a Bottle

unplugged - catchy tune he wrote.  

One Horse Town

They covered Skynyrd in the post above in their version of Tuesday's Gone.   They do classic rock songs like Simple Man and Weight.  They even have a cool version of:

Man of Constant Sorrow

I found them on youtube and searched around youtube for some songs and liked what I heard.  Then saw them advertised at House of Blues in MB earlier this year.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Fugee's version of 'Killing Me Softly' is by far the best version of that song.  One of the best cover jobs of all time. 

First female sung version I've heard of this Hendrix classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1wdhTcM1k
I have four projects going on right now: My musical, GLASS - my Wizard of Oz, what i quit media connectivity for 3 yrs to finish, 23 numbers, delayed while i find a new arranger (told how i lost the last one in another thread); columns for a blog on my various theories, to open in late fall; a vampire novel (it was actually a great idea for a vampire TV series, but i found out with the last pilots i wrote, TV wont buy from fat old hippies who havent had a sale in 30+ yrs so i gotta do it as a book first; and...

...the one i can't put down, no matter how i try - an update of the movie 'Breakfast at Tiffany'. Holly Golightly and 'Fred' get married, move to connecticut, have a daughter, Holly kills herself. Fred writes "B@T", gets rich, buys the brownstone where they met out of sentiment, gives the building to his manic-depressive daughter, Tiffany (of course) as a college grad present in '82. Tiff is pissed she missed punk, makes her way into what's left of the Chelsea Hotel scene by using her looks and skills to play angry solo-piano covers of 60s British Invasion songs in lower Manhattan clubs. These gigs, more often than not, end with her KeithMooning the piano and throwing drinks at customers, but she's so hot and fascinating, places keep having her back. She don't care - she owns an Upper East Side apartment building and is loaded in more ways than one. My favorite cover is the scene where she mumbles 'here's a song about my period' and starts playing 'Ruby Tuesday' which, with very few word changes, can be made to sound a LOT like a song about your period. A customer heckles, then gets up to leave and she moves right into a sarcastic version of "Let's Spend the Night Together"@ him before trashing the place again. As you can imagine, it's a lot of fun to write. I can mention it here cuz no one can steal it cuz there are so many rights to acquire that no one who isn't already a success doing this can do it and even they can't do it like me.

Anyway, the reason i bring this up is that 'Tiffany' does a cover of "Manic Depression" that will blow you away. If only y'all could hear it - my arrangement of the opening is a hoot. I'm hoping to find a producer/arranger for GLASS who will help me look for a Tiffany so we can record some of these covers. Haven't even mentioned the best ones, cuz they're for me. Could be a hit on its own, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bad side of having a pre-teen daughter are her favorite songs. I have tried to get her to like better music, and in some ways succeeded.

One of her favorites was the Lorde song 'Royals.' I found a cover of the song that is in many ways better, (I like the video,) by the band Walk Off the Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread