What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

So we've established

1. Soulfly is a lovable, happy-go-lucky, class act; and

2. Nobody knows what the suspension will be, but it doesn't really matter because he's not that good.
Wow, and your "link" to support #2?This is preseason folks, it's going to look different when the lights go on.
Fine, nobody but Ojaays knows what the suspension will be.
Actually, I was referring to the "not that good" part.
That seemed pretty noncontroversial after the last 40 or so posts.
If you are basing your take on preseason(practice) football, it's well known that Gordon sleepwalks thru practice.

He's a game day guy, you know, when it counts. Everything I've seen from him on actual game days, tells me he's anything but "not that good".

i do think soulfly cross the line a few times earlier in this thread. i did notice a few agitated mods poping in an out.

if joe were to reread this entire thread after a disappointing ff loss, encounter some non-excellentness and decide a suspension is warented ...

how many weeks would soulfly get?

Even if there was no suspension looming this offseason everyone should have been concerned for Gordon's production the minute Norv left town.
Why?

Shanny Jrs Offense FEATURES the #1 WR.

check the number of targets Garçon got in Washington with Shanny Jr.
Norv's offense let's Gordon do what he does best, which is get down field and make plays. Shanny's offense is predicated on volume and short/intermediate crossing routes not pressing the ball down field hence the YPC #s for Norv's WRs being significantly higher than for Shanny Jr's WRs.

The NFL would like to announce that the decision on Josh Gordon's suspension should be forthcoming shortly after Josh Gordon's commencement speech for his entrance into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Even if there was no suspension looming this offseason everyone should have been concerned for Gordon's production the minute Norv left town.
Why?

Shanny Jrs Offense FEATURES the #1 WR.

check the number of targets Garçon got in Washington with Shanny Jr.
Norv's offense let's Gordon do what he does best, which is get down field and make plays. Shanny's offense is predicated on volume and short/intermediate crossing routes not pressing the ball down field hence the YPC #s for Norv's WRs being significantly higher than for Shanny Jr's WRs.
Your statement is true in that Turner does feature more of a down field passing attack than Shanahan. However, one of the best parts of Gordon's game is his run after catch ability. When Andre Johnson had Shanahan as his coordinator, he had 2 of his best seasons statistically as a pro. His YPC was higher than Garcons and IMHO Gordon's YPC will be higher than Garcons as well. Johnson and Gordon are superior athletes to Garcon. More catches with a higher RAC should lead to a monster year if Gordon is allowed to participate.

Sorry for getting meta here, but it's not like there is new info anyway. However the Gordon fiasco works out, I think Soulfly3 deserves a round of applause for the entertaining, hopeful and positive posts in this thread. I don't agree with him very much, but his posts were always fun to read and they give a good perspective on how some Gordon/Browns fans think. Some posters here were more objective. Some posters here were more informed. Not a single poster here left it all out on the field like Soulfly3 did.

Great job man.
Yes ...this guy is in a league of his own....

Norv's offense definitely did not make Gordon.

It benefited him, for sure... But Gordon made the plays happen that weren't there for 99% of WRs in this league. Routinely turning 5-10yd completions into 60+yd TDs

Also, preseason and training camp Gordon is not gametime Gordon. As someone who watches just about anything Browns related, I can attest to that.

Mind you, even during games many consider Gordon to be "loafing", when in reality, he's not... at all.

He is lazy to the huddle. lazy to the line. almost nonchalant. But once the snap is off, he is 110% business. You dont get a prorated 2000yd season by being a bum.

Norv's offense definitely did not make Gordon.

It benefited him, for sure... But Gordon made the plays happen that weren't there for 99% of WRs in this league. Routinely turning 5-10yd completions into 60+yd TDs

Also, preseason and training camp Gordon is not gametime Gordon. As someone who watches just about anything Browns related, I can attest to that.

Mind you, even during games many consider Gordon to be "loafing", when in reality, he's not... at all.

He is lazy to the huddle. lazy to the line. almost nonchalant. But once the snap is off, he is 110% business. You dont get a prorated 2000yd season by being a bum.
Exactly. Jim Brown was this way. Acted like he was in pain every play. Then when he was, nobody really knew because he didn't act any different.

So we've established

2. Nobody knows what the suspension will be, but it doesn't really matter because he's not that good.
Wow, and your "link" to support #2?This is preseason folks, it's going to look different when the lights go on.
If you are basing your take on preseason(practice) football, it's well known that Gordon sleepwalks thru practice.He's a game day guy, you know, when it counts. Everything I've seen from him on actual game days, tells me he's anything but "not that good".
It was a joke -- apparently a bad one. Earlier in the thread, most posters were ready to tar and feather Soulfly. Now everybody loves him. Similarly, everyone was complaining that Gordon was smoking away a chance at being the GOAT. Now, people are complaining about how bad he looked against Washington.

I tried to highlight the simultaneous changes by stating the new "consensus" views as if they were fact.

So we've established

If you are basing your take on preseason(practice) football, it's well known that Gordon sleepwalks thru practice.He's a game day guy, you know, when it counts. Everything I've seen from him on actual game days, tells me he's anything but "not that good".
It was a joke -- apparently a bad one. Earlier in the thread, most posters were ready to tar and feather Soulfly. Now everybody loves him. Similarly, everyone was complaining that Gordon was smoking away a chance at being the GOAT. Now, people are complaining about how bad he looked against Washington.

I tried to highlight the simultaneous changes by stating the new "consensus" views as if they were fact.
That's quite alright, it needed to be hashed out anyway as some are quick to put too much stock in the wrong things seen during preseason.

I still maintain , this board is one of the very best for info, just trying to keep it that way.

wait until the ruling comes out ... this thread might breach 200 .....
I said on one of the first 100 pages, that the page count isn't surprising at all. Sure, lots of repetition (like this one LOL), but it involves:

• A guy whose dynasty value has gone from POTENTIALLY #1 overall to some, to ZERO for a lot of folks, and somewhat back again in a very short period of time. Not sure that has ever happened before.
  • A definite hot-button social issue of our day: legalization of weed.
  • Lots of league drama surrounding both this issue/player, and other players with other issues that can't REALLY be compared fairly, but are anyway.
  • Preseason, with lots to talk about, but not a lot concrete/definitive to talk about that might otherwise push this down some.

It'll breach 200 within the first hour. Wait until he gets busted again after week 7 right before he's supposed to get off his 8 game ban. That's when we'll see this SOB really take off. 500 pages here we come!

Why would they list Gordon as the starting receiver next game?

They played him into the 3rd quarter yesterday because they knew he was getting a full 16 game suspension

Gah... Those browns...

Why would they list Gordon as the starting receiver next game?

They played him into the 3rd quarter yesterday because they knew he was getting a full 16 game suspension

Gah... Those browns...
C'mon SF3, don't be so naive. Clearly they are trying to wear him out since they think he'll be gone the rest of the year. They're saving their real WRs for the regular season. Clearly!

breaking news, Josh Gordon flies to Ferguson MO to hang out with some friends ......... naw, just kidding, but when you think about it ....

snagged him in the equivalent of the 11th round in my keep 5 league (he went unkept) earlier this evening. My WR core as looking like crap anyway so I decided to roll the dice.

#freeJosh

Soulfly3 said:
These ideas that the NFL cares about the comparison between Rice's and Gordon's suspensions are foolish. That would be a non-story in about half a day. That wouldn't even cause a scratch on the machine that is the NFL.
That's a matter of opinion. I suspect most marketing and public relations professionals would consider your stance "foolish," or at least naive.

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Khy said:
Stealthycat said:
It'll breach 200 within the first hour. Wait until he gets busted again after week 7 right before he's supposed to get off his 8 game ban. That's when we'll see this SOB really take off. 500 pages here we come!
Honestly anybody know what the record is for # of pages?Any mods have numbers on this?
There's a thread in the FFA with close to 4,500 pages.

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Khy said:
Stealthycat said:
Honestly anybody know what the record is for # of pages?Any mods have numbers on this?
Oh wow... Had no idea...

What's the record for the shark pool?

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Khy said:
Stealthycat said:
Oh wow... Had no idea...

What's the record for the shark pool?
440 pages. You can sort threads by number of replies.

Would love for this news to come out positive for Gordon on the week between my keeper lists and drafts :popcorn:
If you want to get him cheap, wouldn't you want the news to wait until after your draft?

I threw him back in a keeper league last week, then was able to draft him much later than the keeper round.

Profootballtalk reports there have been no settlement talks in the Josh Gordon case.

It's now been over two weeks since Gordon's appeal was heard, but the sides have yet to come to the bargaining table. They still could, but it would seem to grow less likely by the day. Absent a settlement, Gordon is looking at an all-or-nothing proposition (16 games if the ruling is upheld, zero if it's not). Reports from last week suggested the case should be settled before the end of this week.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Aug 19 - 9:36 PM

Soulfly3 said:
These ideas that the NFL cares about the comparison between Rice's and Gordon's suspensions are foolish. That would be a non-story in about half a day. That wouldn't even cause a scratch on the machine that is the NFL.
That's a matter of opinion. I suspect most marketing and public relations professionals would consider your stance "foolish," or at least naive.
Besides, can you imagine the headlines on the cover of Cosmo?!???

Users who are viewing this thread