What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (10 Viewers)

uh oh

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
Source told me that if #NFL lets Gordon and Welker back in, everyone dating back to new CBA in '11 will fight for revised suspensions and $$

11:30am · 9 Sep 2014 · Twitter Web
As well as they should....To go retro is a stupid bad decision.
Wow, did Josh Gordon steal your dog or something? What do you have against the kid?
Easy..he continually violates the terms of his employment and uses illegal drugs and many of you want to make him some kind of a cult figure..This is exactly what is currently wrong with our society, nobody wants to infuse personal responsibility in anyone...Oh he's not a bad kid, he is just misunderstood, lets give him another break...This kid needs to learn a lesson or it will end a lot worse for him than a 1 year suspension from a kids game.
Marijuana is legal. Do you have a link to him actually using illegal drugs?
Well I think I found the reason why so many people disagree about Gordon's suspension. Some people don't know the federal laws in this country.
Prohibition was the law of the land at one time too....didn't make it right. And it didn't last. And neither will federal legislation outlawing marijuana. Victimless crimes should not be legislated by the federal government nor the NFL.
Go ask some of the folks who live in border towns by Mexico where the cartels run the show about victimless crimes.
Frankly that is one of the many reasons to MAKE it legal!

Listen Ditka Butkus I am totally in agreement that the lack of personal responsibility and lack of personal accountability in this country is a serious serious problem and in all honesty I believe it is a problem that is destroying our country from within and causing a divide among the different classes of people

All of that is true IMHO and I see it with my clients everyday in the financial services field

But... This is about fantasy football... Gordon Is a lotto ticket that has a chance to pay off big... I root for the best players to entertain as long as those players aren't complete jerks like Hardy or Rice or Suggs or Big Ben... I feel like crimes of weed pale in comparison to things they've been tied to

Hard to separate at times the love of a game from the animals that play it

uh oh

Source told me that if #NFL lets Gordon and Welker back in, everyone dating back to new CBA in '11 will fight for revised suspensions and $$

Wow, did Josh Gordon steal your dog or something? What do you have against the kid?
Easy..he continually violates the terms of his employment and uses illegal drugs and many of you want to make him some kind of a cult figure..This is exactly what is currently wrong with our society, nobody wants to infuse personal responsibility in anyone...Oh he's not a bad kid, he is just misunderstood, lets give him another break...This kid needs to learn a lesson or it will end a lot worse for him than a 1 year suspension from a kids game.
Well I think I found the reason why so many people disagree about Gordon's suspension. Some people don't know the federal laws in this country.
Prohibition was the law of the land at one time too....didn't make it right. And it didn't last. And neither will federal legislation outlawing marijuana. Victimless crimes should not be legislated by the federal government nor the NFL.
Go ask some of the folks who live in border towns by Mexico where the cartels run the show about victimless crimes.
No joke. Marijuana (and other drug) prohibition is the direct and immediate cause of the cartel violence in Mexico. Completely absurd to use it as an example of why we should keep it illegal.

uh oh

Agreed. Make it legal and regulate/tax/etc it like booze or cigs. Help put the cartels out of business. I am with ya on that.

Until that happens, though, it is illegal and Gordon has repeatedly been caught breaking not only the law but also the rules of his employer. Period.

And ftr, I am a Gordon owner. He was a big part of me winning a championship last season. I would love it if this were not an issue and he was on the field scoring points for my team. All that said, I believe in accountability no matter who someone is. I am not going to say the guy should get a free pass because he's on my team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broncos | Waive Nathan Palmer Tue Sep 9, 03:26 PM

The Denver Broncos waived WR Nathan Palmer Tuesday, Sept. 9.

Footballguys view: The spot for Palmer on the active roster could soon be filled by Wes Welker. There's a decision coming from the league and the NFLPA that could reduce Welker's four-game suspension.

Listen Ditka Butkus I am totally in agreement that the lack of personal responsibility and lack of personal accountability in this country is a serious serious problem and in all honesty I believe it is a problem that is destroying our country from within and causing a divide among the different classes of people

All of that is true IMHO and I see it with my clients everyday in the financial services field

But... This is about fantasy football... Gordon Is a lotto ticket that has a chance to pay off big... I root for the best players to entertain as long as those players aren't complete jerks like Hardy or Rice or Suggs or Big Ben... I feel like crimes of weed pale in comparison to things they've been tied to

I could not agree more with the bolded. Well said.

Just for laughs and to emphasize how ridiculous the NFL drug policy is, does anybody have a list of the commonly taken medications that are outlawed by the NFL? I'm guessing Sudafed as well as any codeine prescribed in cough syrup. What else?

Also let me be clear... I believe in personal accountability

I don't honestly think he should get to play...

But I honestly think that he will skate and I don't have an issue cashing in on it if he does

uh oh

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabothttps://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot

If the rules are changed, they are going to do that regardless.
They have no grounds to do so, unless the terms are retroactive.
It would only need to go retroactive to players currently serving suspensions under the rules that are being changed.

Not sure when that Mary Kay Cabot tweet came out but she was on local Cleveland sports radio this afternoon stating the virtually every single insider has told her that they have not ruled out lifting Gordon's suspension and she has heard he 'could' even be in the lineup Sunday depending on the wording of the new agreement.

LINK:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/09/09/mary-kay-gordon-reinstatement-hinges-on-new-drug-policy-wording/

Mary Kay: Gordon Reinstatement Hinges On New Drug Policy WordingWith Baskin & Phelps -- Weekdays 10am - 2pmSeptember 9, 2014 11:54 AM

Browns beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer joined Baskin & Phelps Tuesday to discuss the possibility of Josh Gordon returning from his suspension if a new NFL Drug Policy is ratified, what the circumstances need to be in order for him to be reinstated, her thoughts on the Ray Rice/NFL story, and more.

Podcast

Trying to view this thread with the mobile site is just awful. Considering we have word of a 9pm meeting, I won't be checking this topic until then, because there can't much said before then.

Who am I kidding, I'll be back soon.

Broncos just released WR palmer that replaced Welker.

Footballguys view: The spot for Palmer on the active roster could soon be filled by Wes Welker. There's a decision coming from the league and the NFLPA that could reduce Welker's four-game suspension.
Meanwhile:

Browns activated WR Marlon Moore from the reserve/suspended list.

He's the Browns' No. 6 receiver. Moore caught one pass across six games for the 49ers last season.
- RW

So the Browns are adding a WR while the Broncs are cutting one.

Tea leaves.

Cool with his DUI then?

uh oh

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabothttps://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot

If the rules are changed, they are going to do that regardless.
They have no grounds to do so, unless the terms are retroactive.
Basic equity principles would be in play - you were punished for conduct that society no longer finds punishable. Not saying they would win - certainly equity plays a role in stopping the punishment of anyone currently being punished for such conduct, but may be more difficult to go back.

FBGs view: Since even our golden boy latimer didn't see the field, we're deflecting that miss with this spin on Palmer.

uh oh

Are you serious??? When did federal law get changed???

Cool with his DUI then?
He blew a .09, which is 1 point over the limit. Since he was originally pulled for speeding, he may be able to successfully fight the DWI.

Broncos just released WR palmer that replaced Welker.

Meanwhile:

Browns activated WR Marlon Moore from the reserve/suspended list.

He's the Browns' No. 6 receiver. Moore caught one pass across six games for the 49ers last season.
- RW

So the Browns are adding a WR while the Broncs are cutting one.

Tea leaves.
The Browns they released 2 and added 2. Stop smoking tea leaves.

uh oh

I am serious, and please don't call me Shirley.

The NFLPA is set to vote on the league's new drug proposal tonight. As of mid-afternoon they had not received the proposal from the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/nflpa-waits-for-final-drug-proposal-from-nfl/
So the league is going to come up with a proposal at some point -- today, tomorrow, next February, whenever -- and the players' reps will vote on whether to accept it.

Does anyone really believe that the league's proposal is going to include amnesty for Gordon and Welker? Aren't the league's owners going to be roughly 30-2 against such a provision?

If the players want to give Gordon and Welker amnesty, that's going to take a counteroffer and some negotiation -- it's not going to be as simple as just voting "yes" tonight, if there is even anything to vote on.

(Also, does anyone think that, even if the league submits its proposal right now, the players' reps will have time to read it, evaluate it, discuss it, and bring it to a vote by tonight?)

Cool with his DUI then?
He blew a .09, which is 1 point over the limit. Since he was originally pulled for speeding, he may be able to successfully fight the DWI.
LOL - I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or give kudos for great sarcasm.

uh oh

I am serious, and please don't call me Shirley.
You realize that even if he gets reinstated, fails his next drug test he will get that year suspension right? They aren't throwing out the drug testing, they're just raising the thresholds. And they probably aren't changing the punishment until the next CBA. Hopefully Gordon doesn't take this as his opportunity to light up a little more than he could before...

I feel like it might take a little while longer before a deal is done because I think a astronomical amount of leverage just shifted towards the NFLPA after this Ray Rice incident. Americans have been laughing at Roger Goodell the same way they make fun of Congress. They strongly disagreed with the drug suspension, and strongly disagreed with the Ray Rice incident BEFORE the video came out. Now people are wanting heads to roll. The league should just bend over and take (to a certain extent) whatever the NFLPA is asking for just to get this in the press to talk about ANYTHING else. This would be a positive thing to show that they care about HGH whether they actually do or not.

The NFLPA is set to vote on the league's new drug proposal tonight. As of mid-afternoon they had not received the proposal from the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/nflpa-waits-for-final-drug-proposal-from-nfl/
So the league is going to come up with a proposal at some point -- today, tomorrow, next February, whenever -- and the players' reps will vote on whether to accept it.

Does anyone really believe that the league's proposal is going to include amnesty for Gordon and Welker? Aren't the league's owners going to be roughly 30-2 against such a provision?

If the players want to give Gordon and Welker amnesty, that's going to take a counteroffer and some negotiation -- it's not going to be as simple as just voting "yes" tonight, if there is even anything to vote on.

(Also, does anyone think that, even if the league submits its proposal right now, the players' reps will have time to read it, evaluate it, discuss it, and bring it to a vote by tonight?)
Good point. If they hadn't received a proposal from the NFL by this afternoon, Tuesday looks like a wash, as they will need time to evaluate the proposal, and possibly counter. Also, if you actually look at facts that are being reported, not speculation that's posing as facts, It seems like the retroactive application of a new policy isn't as much of a given as it has been made to seem. Furthermore, the NFL & NFLPA seem to both be refusing to budge on the issue of punishing players before the legaProcess plays out.

I feel like it might take a little while longer before a deal is done because I think a astronomical amount of leverage just shifted towards the NFLPA after this Ray Rice incident. Americans have been laughing at Roger Goodell the same way they make fun of Congress. They strongly disagreed with the drug suspension, and strongly disagreed with the Ray Rice incident BEFORE the video came out. Now people are wanting heads to roll. The league should just bend over and take (to a certain extent) whatever the NFLPA is asking for just to get this in the press to talk about ANYTHING else. This would be a positive thing to show that they care about HGH whether they actually do or not.
That's an "interesting" take. I seriously doubt a new HGH policy will make people forget the NFL's horrible handling of the Rice situation.

Cool with his DUI then?
Nope he is truly an idiot and I think DUI is pretty awful as well... Frankly there is no excuse for anyone (especially athletes in the NFL) to drink and get behind the wheel... Again not the same degree of consequences because no victim in this event (this time)

Josh Brent from the cowboys DUI cost his friend his life... Josh Gordon's DUI did not cost someone their life... Same stupid decision but clearly different consequences this time around

Ray Rice smacked around his girlfriend on camera... Pacman Jones slammed a strippers face onto the stage... Greg Hardy (allegedly) choked his girl... Terrell Suggs bleached his gf... I can go on and on... How many more incidents will we never hear anything about? How many times does an NFL player drive under the influence without getting caught? Does that make the decision to drive okay because they didn't get caught? How many times has someone been pushed to the edge by their spouse or gf and NEARLY struck them? A lot of bad decisions are influenced greatly by the situations these players put themselves into...

Bottom line is this... In the degree of bad decisions I believe his love of weed is pretty low on the scale compared to his decision to drive under the influence (regardless of how much alcohol he had in his system)

I believe even if he skates here he will trip up again or already has and will get suspended... But until then I hope that I can enjoy watching him on the field

Users who are viewing this thread