What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Sanchez (1 Viewer)

Sanchez is going to Wall Pipp Foles. Better talent who need a change of scenery. I have feeling he's going to grab & run with the job

Rotoworld:

Mark Sanchez - QB - Eagles

Mark Sanchez completed 15-of-22 passes for 202 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions in Sunday's Week 9 win at Houston.

Nick Foles went down at the very end of the first quarter with a possible broken collarbone. Sanchez came on and didn't miss a beat, operating the fastbreak Chip Kelly scheme like a guy that 62 career NFL starts under his belt. Chip also showed plenty of confidence in Sanchez, calling a play-action bomb to Jeremy Maclin on his very first play. With Foles likely out an extended period and the Eagles facing the Panthers following the Week 10 bye, Sanchez will be a priority add for anyone in need of a quarterback. In three preseason games this year, he was extremely impressive: 25-of-31 for 281 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.

Nov 2 - 6:15 PM

Impressive wasn't really the word. Adequate to good would be how I'd describe it.
The Eagles running game looked infinitely better when Sanchez entered the game. The one INT wasn't his fault, Huff should have made that catch. I'm not really concerned with Sanchez as the Eagles QB going forward for the next month or so. With the OLine getting Mathis back they'll be going to a more run based offense again.

A year ago Foles was one of the two main cogs that drove my team to title #5. I'm taking a shot on Dirty Sanchez.

Impressive wasn't really the word. Adequate to good would be how I'd describe it.
The Eagles running game looked infinitely better when Sanchez entered the game. The one INT wasn't his fault, Huff should have made that catch. I'm not really concerned with Sanchez as the Eagles QB going forward for the next month or so. With the OLine getting Mathis back they'll be going to a more run based offense again.
It was weird how Reid like it was. Starter in there, throw 50 times. Backup comes in, start running again. Kelly needs more balance in the play calling. Where was that one all rushing drive the last few weeks?

The problem is it may not be a month. It might be 8+ weeks. He's definitely better than Barkley and I hope he can thrive in Kellys system.

A year ago Foles was one of the two main cogs that drove my team to title #5. I'm taking a shot on Dirty Sanchez.
Me too but I'll pass on Sanchez. Saw him play too much with Jets to get fooled by him. I'll let the guy who had Foles have him if he wants him.

Sanchez looked good yesterday. But I thought he looked good in preseason too. I think Chip Kelly's system is the perfect fit for him and I could see him duplicating at least Foles numbers going forward for the next month. I'm buying. #1 pickup this week for me (start 2 QB league)

I don't think Sanchez looked amazing or anything, but lets face it, Foles has really only been adequate this season. That's all butt-fumble has to do in this offense; be proficient, make the necessary throws and limit mistakes. From an accuracy standpoint going from Foles to Sanchez they won't miss a beat. Kelce is back to limit the reads that Sanchez has to make. He needs to stop doing that 'under-pressure-chuck-it-to-the-defense" thing he's done forever, but I'm far less concerned about this as an Eagles fan than say, losing Demeco.

Sanchez looked good yesterday. But I thought he looked good in preseason too. I think Chip Kelly's system is the perfect fit for him and I could see him duplicating at least Foles numbers going forward for the next month. I'm buying. #1 pickup this week for me (start 2 QB league)
Yeah, with Wilson stinking up the joint, I'm going to take a flyer on Sanchez as well since I have WW priority over the Foles owner. RG3 is my other option, so I've pretty much went from thrilled to meh about my QB's as the year has progressed.

Me too but I'll pass on Sanchez. Saw him play too much with Jets to get fooled by him. I'll let the guy who had Foles have him if he wants him.
From a "game winning" perspective, I get where you are coming from, but Sanchez put up adequate numbers with chicken crap around him. He arguably has a better RB, WRs and even TE than he has ever had access to throughout his career, and he has them all at the same time.

agreed, lets see what he looks like with the teams have a full week to put together a defensive plan for Markie
And a week of getting starter reps, too...

I think with Chip Kelly coaching vs Rex Ryan, we might see better performance out of him. Maybe not, but the talent I think is there, its always been the above the shoulders stuff.

Rotoworld:

When asked about Mark Sanchez's performance Sunday, coach Chip Kelly said, "I don't think we missed a beat offensively."

In three quarters of relief work, Sanchez completed 15-of-22 passes for 202 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions as the Eagles won at Houston 31-21. One of the picks was not his fault as it clanged off the hands of Josh Huff. With Nick Foles (broken collarbone) out anywhere from 4-8 weeks, it should not shock any fantasy owners if Sanchez can return QB1 value for the indefinite future. Foles was struggling with mechanics, holding the ball too long and some decision-making, yet was still averaging 291.2 yards and 1.7 touchdowns per game. Sanchez also outplayed Foles in preseason action, for what it's worth.

Related: Nick Foles

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Nov 3 - 10:19 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Philly Inquirer's Jeff McLane suggests Mark Sanchez could be the Eagles' starting quarterback for the rest of the season and "possibly the playoffs."

It's more confirmation that Nick Foles (broken collarbone) can be dropped in 12- and 14-team fantasy leagues. McLane and ESPN's Adam Schefter set Foles' timetable at 6-8 weeks, and that may even be on the optimistic side. It sounds like a very similar injury to Aaron Rodgers' last year. Coming in cold off the bench Sunday, Sanchez completed 4-of-4 targets to Jeremy Maclin for gains of 52, 7, 21, and an eight-yard touchdown. Sanchez struggles to throw the ball outside the numbers, however, which could put a dent in Riley Cooper's already limited fantasy appeal.

Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter

Nov 3 - 5:21 PM

All I know is I did not know he had that much zip when he threw that bomb to Maclin. He might be a different QB after that shoulder surgery and time off. If he just manages the game he will thrive in this system.

Also the beginning of this topic is so hilarious. Things change so quick hahaha

I was never a sanchez fan, but I think so much of it is schemes and coaching, so he might end up doing something.

I'm sure it's been mentioned several times, but just remember houston lost both starting corners early on in that game.

of course, carolina secondary on deck...........

I'd buy in redraft. Chip Kelly will scheme him to fantasy $$. Not saying he'll be top 5 - but I'd imagine 250 -2 is the avg in any given game.

Honestly the Philly offense looked the same with him in there, except Foles likes to drift backward and throw off his back foot at times. He looked poised and the TD to Matthews was a nice touch throw. The INT intended for Huff bounced right off his hands on a crossing route. The other INT was a bad read but it looked like there was a little bit of confusion on the execution all around. It happens. He looked very much in control for the most part, and I feel much more confident in him this time around with this offense and this coach. Foles wasn't playing lights out anyway so I don't see why Sanchez can't be productive.

As far as Philly running the ball there was a 4 play, 60 plus yard drive where McCoy and Polk just gashed the Texans like they weren't even there. If Philly starts running like that again at times then I think that only helps open up more of those big play opportunities for Sanchez. They should run plenty of plays overall in that offense as well.

Sanchez is my pickup of the week in my Andrew Luck leagues, and I'm starting him with confidence.

I'm also trying to pick him up tonight in FAAB in my league with Romo & Wilson, and I'm considering starting him in Monday over those two. It's also a block pickup, as this week's opponent had Nick Foles and will be forced to go with Kyle Orton or worse.

But I'm confidently rolling Sanchize out there. And then I'll probably look back at this post on Monday and wonder just what in the hell I was thinking :)

Honestly the Philly offense looked the same with him in there, except Foles likes to drift backward and throw off his back foot at times. He looked poised and the TD to Matthews was a nice touch throw. The INT intended for Huff bounced right off his hands on a crossing route. The other INT was a bad read but it looked like there was a little bit of confusion on the execution all around. It happens. He looked very much in control for the most part, and I feel much more confident in him this time around with this offense and this coach. Foles wasn't playing lights out anyway so I don't see why Sanchez can't be productive.

As far as Philly running the ball there was a 4 play, 60 plus yard drive where McCoy and Polk just gashed the Texans like they weren't even there. If Philly starts running like that again at times then I think that only helps open up more of those big play opportunities for Sanchez. They should run plenty of plays overall in that offense as well.
I watched the game back a few times and don't see it the same. Foles hits his man in stride where they can make a play after the catch. The int to Huff is a perfect example of that. The ball was catchable, but it was also high and away from the WR on a simple pattern. Another good example is the big plays to Maclin. Foles hit Maclin and he walks in the end zone, not so with Sanchez. Sanchez should be decent. Most teams season would be over if they lost a starting QB. I'm glad this isn't the case. The Eagles still have a chance at winning the division. However, they are completely different QBs. Foles likes to go deep. That isn't Sanchez's game at all. To act like the needle doesn't even move after losing a probowl QB is crazy talk by everyone.

I watched the game back a few times and don't see it the same. Foles hits his man in stride where they can make a play after the catch. The int to Huff is a perfect example of that. The ball was catchable, but it was also high and away from the WR on a simple pattern. Another good example is the big plays to Maclin. Foles hit Maclin and he walks in the end zone, not so with Sanchez.Sanchez should be decent. Most teams season would be over if they lost a starting QB. I'm glad this isn't the case. The Eagles still have a chance at winning the division. However, they are completely different QBs. Foles likes to go deep. That isn't Sanchez's game at all. To act like the needle doesn't even move after losing a probowl QB is crazy talk by everyone.
Foles wasn't playing like a ProBowl QB. To think otherwise is crazy talk.

I don't consider Foles a Pro Bowl quarterback this year but the rest are good points. Personally I don't think they will miss a beat but I'll admit to not being a big fan of Foles either.

I watched the game back a few times and don't see it the same. Foles hits his man in stride where they can make a play after the catch. The int to Huff is a perfect example of that. The ball was catchable, but it was also high and away from the WR on a simple pattern. Another good example is the big plays to Maclin. Foles hit Maclin and he walks in the end zone, not so with Sanchez.Sanchez should be decent. Most teams season would be over if they lost a starting QB. I'm glad this isn't the case. The Eagles still have a chance at winning the division. However, they are completely different QBs. Foles likes to go deep. That isn't Sanchez's game at all. To act like the needle doesn't even move after losing a probowl QB is crazy talk by everyone.
As others have stated, Foles was not playing anything near pro-bowl caliber. Add in the fact that Chip channeled his inner Andy Reid and started running a ton once the backup was in. If that continues (which I am hoping it does), Sanchez can thrive in this offense. The four play, all runs series that ended in a Polk 8 yard TD up the middle is case in point. The Oline getting back to what its supposed to be means this running game will do the same. That was a statement drive. More of that is exactly what Sanchez needs. No more of this pass 50+ times BS that they were asking Foles to do.

Anyone know if Kelly is the type of coach that might want to make a statement with Sanchez? Try to put up gaudy numbers to show what a master QB coach he is?

Anyone know if Kelly is the type of coach that might want to make a statement with Sanchez? Try to put up gaudy numbers to show what a master QB coach he is?
I think Kelly likes to win. So I doubt he does anything that would jeopardize that.

If the defense decides to try to stop the run and force Sanchez to have to beat them with his arm, then yes, Chip Kelly will go to a passing attack and Sanchez could have great numbers. But it will be because he feels that is the best thing to be successful not because he wants to show how smart he is.

Foles wasn't playing like a ProBowl QB. To think otherwise is crazy talk.
Thats not close to what I'm implying. I know how to look at QB ratings too.

As others have stated, Foles was not playing anything near pro-bowl caliber. Add in the fact that Chip channeled his inner Andy Reid and started running a ton once the backup was in. If that continues (which I am hoping it does), Sanchez can thrive in this offense. The four play, all runs series that ended in a Polk 8 yard TD up the middle is case in point. The Oline getting back to what its supposed to be means this running game will do the same. That was a statement drive. More of that is exactly what Sanchez needs. No more of this pass 50+ times BS that they were asking Foles to do.
McCoy did nothing in that same span. WR/TEs dropped TDs. The line let pressure up the middle consistently. The team is still a few plays from being undefeated. How can you question the game-plan or prefer Mark Sanchez? As I stated, you don't just lose a pro-bowl talent and retain your superbowl odds. Apparently Eagles fans would rather have a QB that the talk radio heads prefer instead of a chance at a real dynasty. I live through it with Philly fans. I know first hand. There isn't another team in the league where this nonsense would be uttered.

Foles has never really had a tendency to throw picks since college. If/when he did, he always bounced back. I'll side with history and the larger sample size. He's a young, emerging QB working out some kinks (like taking sacks). I'll give him the same pass that everyone gives other young QBs (looking at you Blake Bortles).

This is the same media regurgitation that said Vick and Barkley was better, and that Foles couldn't run this offense at all. They also preferred Geno Smith to Mark Sanchez. Really, what's the odds that they're wrong again? All this Sanchez love actually worries me knowing everyone's track record.

Mark Sanchez is what we know he is.....The Panthers D(as bad as they are w/o Hardy) with one week to prepare will absolutely destroy him. He threw 2 Int's in relief duty, imagine what will happen in 4 full quarters of preparation. I'm not a believer.

Assuming he still comes relatively cheap, it's worth a chance to see if the reports that the Eagles soured on Foles are true, and if Chip can turn around Sanchez's career over the next two months, there's always the chance that they sign him beyond this year to lead that offense.

He has some talent, always has. Good coaching might just help.

Users who are viewing this thread